Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 15739 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Legion Details Leak?
1. Re: Watch Dogs Legion Details Leak? Jun 4, 2019, 10:17 Kxmode

Well that sounds very... demonic.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quake II RTX Specs
14. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 4, 2019, 06:26 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2019, 04:27:
Dude, you'll have to let us know how it looks on the new card.

Sure! I'll even record video so you guys can see it in action. Of course, there will probably be lots of videos on Youtube, but mine will be 4K60 quality. Only the best for my Blue's News brethren.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 4, 2019, 01:07 Kxmode

Ant wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 23:49:
Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 23:39:
I remember playing this on a P2-300 with... I believe 32MB of RAM? It was a super fast system at the time, and the game absolutely flew, especially once I got a Voodoo card.

It was a very fun shooter for its time.
I played it on my Compaq Armada 1585DMT laptop/notebook in college. It had no video card. It was still fun!

Oh, Ant. You gotta get a 3Dfx and get with the times!

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month
36. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 4, 2019, 00:06 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 18:18:
I love when people post sources that don't say what they think they say. From your source:
"“Fair use is a fuzzy standard, not a rule,” Bambauer explained. He says he could imagine a few possible defensible scenarios. “If I own a copy of Super Mario World, I can play it whenever I want,” he notes, “but what I’d really like to do is play it on my phone or my laptop.” In this case, downloading a ROM could be legally defensible."

"Could be." "Fuzzy." "Not a rule." In other words, telling someone they're absolutely within their legal rights is legally incorrect. The article you posted makes great pains to tell you that it isn't, in its own words, a "slam-dunk." Telling someone they're totally within their rights legally would imply a slam dunk.
Not to mention, the person giving it to you is absolutely in the wrong legally.

Because there's nothing in the law that says you cannot download a copy of Super Mario World to play it on your laptop or phone if you purchased the game. Plenty of laws exist against MURDER with real consequences, but there's nothing that states you cannot reacquiring a copy of a digital good that you already purchased and owned via pirating. Without such laws, people can fall back on fundamental consumer rights. They're much broader in scope, but they work within an understood and legal framework of what consumers are entitled to. Digital goods fall under that purview.

We're splitting hairs here. You're over on THAT side of the law, and I'm over on THIS side of the law. If someone has no other choice but to pirate a video game or a movie that they lawfully purchased to obtain a copy of the good again, then that's their consumer right. We can agree to disagree on where the law falls, but for now it falls silent.

6. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 3, 2019, 23:30 Kxmode

Interesting that nVidia uses this game to demo its RTX tech. Back in the 90's Quake 2 was used to show off 3Dfx's new rendering technology.

Quake 2
- SVGA: 256 colors. 3Dfx: 65,536 colors.
- SVGA: No colored lighting. 3Dfx: Colored lighting.
- SVGA: ~15 FPS. 3Dfx: ~30 FPS.
- SVGA: No texture sampling. 3Dfx: Texture Sampling
- SVGA: Maximum resolution of 512 x 512. 3Dfx (with SLI): 1024 x 1024

Voodoo 3Dfx had dedicated on-board memory of 4MBs!

Does anyone remember that?!

29. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 3, 2019, 17:59 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 16:27:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 16:23:
NKD wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 13:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 11:44:
No matter the reason, what thieves/pirates do is still illegal.

So is smoking weed in a lot of places, or being seen in public without your husband. Just saying, legality is a pretty shitty proxy for whether behavior is acceptable or not.

Pirating is illegal. However, the FBI typically does not enforce it on individuals unless they are part of a pirate group engaged in the wholesale distribution of stuff. Most ramifications come from ISP C&D letters threatening to end a subscription or lawsuits.

In the case of Minecraft Story Mode, a person who legitimately purchased it is TOTALLY within their legal right to resort to piracy to get a copy if the option to download from Steam was no longer available.

Legally, you are incorrect.
Morally, this is where I'd say piracy is correct, one of the very, very few times, as opposed to the "well, I don't like the price!" or the "but they had a feature I didn't like!" or "the protagonist is a female!" arguments.

But, legally, you're incorrect.

Products are either a "Good" or a "Service." A Good is something you buy and own, while a Service is an action performed for you. So if you buy a hammer, it's a Good. It's a thing. It's yours. But if you get a haircut, that's a Service. The business didn't hand you your haircut in a box. They used tools to deliver the desired result. Goods get classified as "something tangible," which also include digital purchases like video games and movies. You can't touch the digital video game or digital movie, but it remains purchased like a physical good. So if you bought a copy of Half-Life, you don't own the rights to the Half-Life franchise. You can't sell additional copies of it. However, you do own YOUR COPY of Half-Life. A lot of goods are like this. If you buy a car, you don't own the manufacturing and design rights to that car model. But you do own YOUR CAR. It's a basic concept. The myth that you don't "own" any of your software is false. There are two types of software licenses: perpetual and subscription. Perpetual last forever. So that copy of Mega Man that your brother has in the attic is a perpetual license. World of Warcraft is a subscription license meaning if you don't pay the 15 bucks a month you lose access to the game.

A perpetual license is a product, and whenever sold, it undergoes a transfer of ownership upon the point of sale. The seller no longer has any rightful say over anything regarding that instance of software represented by its perpetual license. What this means is when you buy a digital good, like a video game, you own a copy of it and because digital Goods can be deleted for a wide variety of reasons being able to download another copy of the software is well within a person's legal right to reacquire the good they purchased. Source

Further, in the United States, downloading something you already own is covered under the "fair use" doctrine. This article sheds light on some of that, but is this particular area.

Regarding owning a legal copy of a cartridge, Derek E. Bambauer teaches Internet law and intellectual property at the University of Arizona's College of Law. He states, "If I own a copy of Super Mario World, I can play it whenever I want," he notes, "but what I'd really like to do is play it on my phone or my laptop. In this case, downloading a ROM could be legally defensible. You're not giving the game to anybody else, and you're just playing a game you already own on your phone. The argument would be there's no market harm here; that it's not substituting for a purchase."

There's no ambiguity when there's no other option but to "pirate" a digital good you lawfully purchased. You are merely reacquiring a copy you perpetually own in the first place.

25. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 3, 2019, 16:23 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 13:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 11:44:
No matter the reason, what thieves/pirates do is still illegal.

So is smoking weed in a lot of places, or being seen in public without your husband. Just saying, legality is a pretty shitty proxy for whether behavior is acceptable or not.

Pirating is illegal. However, the FBI typically does not enforce it on individuals unless they are part of a pirate group engaged in the wholesale distribution of stuff. Most ramifications come from ISP C&D letters threatening to end a subscription or lawsuits.

In the case of Minecraft Story Mode, a person who legitimately purchased it is TOTALLY within their legal right to resort to piracy to get a copy if the option to download from Steam was no longer available.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat 11 Adding Shang Tsung, Spawn, and More
8. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Adding Shang Tsung, Spawn, and More Jun 3, 2019, 16:07 Kxmode

MDB wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 15:17:
Can we get a French Raiden voice pack?

"Κtes-vous un fan de ιclairage?" Beatnik

7. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Adding Shang Tsung, Spawn, and More Jun 3, 2019, 16:05 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 14:58:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 13:25:
WALLET KOMBAT!

Yep..

Pretty much.

"Your DOLLAR is mine!" - Cha-Chang Tsung

3. Re: Mortal Kombat 11 Adding Shang Tsung, Spawn, and More Jun 3, 2019, 13:25 Kxmode

WALLET KOMBAT!  

12. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 3, 2019, 04:00 Kxmode

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 3, 2019, 02:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 2, 2019, 17:51:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 2, 2019, 17:27:
Telltale made trash that nobody wanted. Good riddance. $20 games you play once and never touch again aren't the way forward in gaming.
Pray tell what does qualify as "the way forward in gaming" according to your gate keeping? I'm all ears. Ears

Doesn't matter, does it? Telltale already proved it.

You didn't answer the question. It's rather strange to write a cryptic statement and then toss it out the window when someone asks about it. Nobody knows what "the way forward in gaming" means, well, except you.

10. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 3, 2019, 01:44 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jun 2, 2019, 23:25:
In an unusual twist, in this case you will no longer be able to re-download it after that, even if you own it already

That is fucking horseshit.

There's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 3, 2019, 01:43 Kxmode

MeanJim wrote on Jun 2, 2019, 20:17:
It's time to rename this to STEAM TOP TEN.

LOL

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 2, 2019, 21:14 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 1, 2019, 05:41:
That should run second life at a decent framerate.

Unfortunately, the video card is only half as important as the bandwidth. SL is a very stream-heavy game and setting the distance too high results in maps taking forever to render. I found a meter distance of around 100 with all the quality settings cranked up is a nice compromise.

7. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode to be Discontinued This Month Jun 2, 2019, 21:07 Kxmode

In an unusual twist, in this case you will no longer be able to re-download it after that, even if you own it already:

Pretty sure that's illegal.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
21. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2019, 23:25 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 1, 2019, 04:26:
It's cute in this day and age that people think by using a different browser that they aren't being tracked.

It's funny that you don't know how trackers work. A real ____ slapper.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2019, 23:23 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 1, 2019, 22:19:
Uber reports a $1 billion loss in first quarterly earnings after IPO :)

Figured that would be your response.

16. Re: Google Just Gave 2 Billion Chrome Users A Reason To Switch To Firefox Jun 1, 2019, 01:10 Kxmode

Simon Says wrote on May 31, 2019, 19:49:
Beamer wrote on May 31, 2019, 11:27:
I've been using Brave for a while. It's absolutely too aggressive to be your only browser

Not really with the easy toggle and customization options per site. Once customized inside of a few days while just browsing regularly, it's very easy to use as a main browser.

The toggles are too binary. IOW if you can turn them off to see the content that was privacy blocked you don't have Brave's full protection. I'm just switching over to Chrome for when I encounter sites that Brave has butchered. As Beamer states, coupling Brave with another browser is a good solution.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2019, 01:06 Kxmode

It's a guilty pleasure that I jump into once in a great while. I did so when I got my 2080 Ti.  

11. Re: Google Just Gave 2 Billion Chrome Users A Reason To Switch To Firefox May 31, 2019, 03:06 Kxmode

Simon Says wrote on May 31, 2019, 02:43:
Kxmode wrote on May 31, 2019, 01:35:
Simon Says wrote on May 30, 2019, 23:09:
Switched to Brave months ago, never looked back, fuck google.

I saw that browser mentioned in the article. Seriously thinking of switching as well. Do you know if Brave imports Chrome settings and bookmarks?

I think it does, it's based on Chromium, but without all the spying/totalitarian crap, it also has an integrated customizable "shield" that deals with ads/miners and co. which isn't dependent on Google/plugins. Doesn't hurt to try.

Installed and checked it out. It imports everything, including browsing history, so that entering addresses auto-complete. There's no doubt it is a reliable browser. Surprisingly all the extensions work (but I guess not too surprising given that Brave is basically Chrome). The only thing I don't like about Brave is that it can be a bit too aggressive on privacy blocking as it removed legitimate parts on a few sites. It's not a deal killer as I can use Chrome for those sites and Brave for everywhere else. Glad I heard of this browser.

15739 Comments. 787 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo