Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews (Latest version hides all blocked user quotes)
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12602 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
9. Re: On Sale Feb 25, 2017, 03:04 Kxmode

[dupe poop] Grin  

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
8. Re: On Sale Feb 25, 2017, 02:59 Kxmode

I do not know the nitty-gritty details of the overall case, but from a cursory review, Zenimax's accusations are flimsy. Their primary charge is that John Carmack willfully stole id's C++ VR source and then repurposed it for Rift development; which is all kinds of level of stupid.

That kind of accusation does not work on Carmack because his name is at the top of a small list of game developers who invented the FPS genre. He (not Bethesda; not ZaniMax) figured out HOW to create 3D environments for gaming. John began and ended his gaming career at id. For 22 years he iterated upon his knowledge of 3D engine development and his style for programming. How he wrote his code became indistinguishable from the system itself. So when John took the job at Oculus, and they needed a 3D VR engine, Carmack's engine would share similarities with id's C++ VR.

ZeniMax is trying to separate the MAN from the CODE. In John's case, they are mutually inclusive. He cannot change the way he writes his code much like a musician fundamentally cannot change how they get inspired to create music. So this establishes a precedent that shows there's a clear difference between accusing a programmer of ACTUALLY stealing proprietary code (e.g. download from id's servers to repurpose) versus writing code from scratch and the results look very similar to another company's proprietary system. Bottomline, ZeniMax is conflating based on innuendo and conjecture. (e.g. "tinfoil hat society")

The bigger problem is this legal battle took place in a courtroom with decision makers who have no experience with the subject matter they must judge. This is Ted Stevens' "Series of Tubes" and "the Internet is not a dump truck" levels of ignorance. Imagine a judge ruling on a case involving patent infringement against "the probability of the Yukawa potential in the relationship between quantum physics and thermodynamics in the realm of string theory." The judge would be like, "Can I please just check my email and play some Candy Crush?"

The point is the judicial system is not technologists. They do not speak the same language. So how can they possibly be the right choice to understand all the required tribal knowledge and nomenclature of developer and programmer talk to reach a wise conclusion? This fact frustrated Carmack when his appropriately justified rant on Facebook shows he apparently wanted to school the prosecutor's "expert" witness but could not because the people in court could not understand Carmack's points.

As a Web UX developer, thinking back on my 19 years in the IT industry and knowing how professionals create signature patterns in their career (myself included), ZeniMax is wrong with their accusations. However, it does not matter because apparently, ZaniMax had better lawyers who spoke the judge's language better -- something Carmack could not.

Sorry, guys. This topic makes me sad.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Free Weekend
16. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 18:33 Kxmode

Rhett wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:26:
Normally I jump on free weekend games, but this... Gag. Mostly negative reviews, too, on steam. They must have really fucked up. Are they even trying with these PC ports anymore?

It's Activision and Infinity Ward. When have they ever tried (beyond the obvious cash-cow-milking shenanigans)?

15. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 18:31 Kxmode

One Steam review: "They don't even have the servers to support a free weekend." Brutal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 18:28 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:43:
Today, I hopped on my mower, mowed my acre and a half lawn, got all my vegetables planted as we have an early spring, played with my dog, and chatted with my neighbor as he had come down the road when I was out getting the mail. He lives just a hair over a mile down the road from me. Outside of him, I didn't see another living human being today. It was quiet outside of the normal noises of nature and the breeze.

Do you own a fishing company and live in Greenbow, Alabama?

22. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 18:06 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 16:14:
Have you considered going vegetarian as a trial? I suggest giving it a go for about a month. You might be surprised at the positive results at the positive results in digestion, energy levels, etc. It's easy to substitute that meat texture with beans, mushrooms, and other veggies.

Personally, I've been vegetarian (no meat or dairy products) for about 6 months and have lost some weight, focus better, and find that my energy levels are consistently higher, probably because I'm not digesting meat.

Worth a try?

Have you considered "flexitarian." The name is goofy. However, the diet is quite beneficial. It isn't strictly vegetarian (to make a point about man's inhumanity to animals) but more about limiting meat intake to small amounts weekly, or go one week with meat and then go two weeks veggies. Many flexitarians tend to restrict their meats to healthy meats like organic fish, seafood, and poultry. Rare intakes of cow-based meats (all organic, of course) happen. I believe flexitarians, in principle, won't or very rarely will consume pork products, but they are "flexible" for bacon (because... you, know. Bacon!). Anyhow the flex diet is a very healthy blend of veggies and meats.

The reason why I think it's good is that I've read articles and seen videos of vegetarians and vegans who have encountered health issues related to Vitamin B12 deficiency. The reason being, at present, humans are unable to produce this vitamin naturally. Apparently, we used to in the distance past (there's a biblical reason; won't go into it - video game site and all). While it is possible to offset this deficiency with pills, many found that the best and only real source of this crucial vitamin is beef and seafood. Specifically, the top three sources are:

#1. Liver (Beef) - 71 mcg per 3-ounce serving (2951% of DRI)
#2. Mackerel - 16 mcg per 3-ounce serving (667% of DRI)
#3. Sardines - 8 mcg per 3-ounce serving (333% of DRI)

That's why flexitarians prefer seafood over beef because not only is it high in B12 but it also contains Omega-3 fatty acids. #Win! Dance

Having a dairy-free diet (such as myself due to lactose intolerance) can lead to calcium deficiency symptoms such as osteoporosis, tooth decay, muscle tension, and high blood pressure. Obviously, milk is the number one provider of calcium at 30% DV; however, you can still get it from many non-dairy sources. Here are the remaining top sources.

#2. Kale (cooked) - 1 cup = 24% DV
#3. Sardines (with bones) 2 ounces = 21% DV (gross; but whatev )
#5. Broccoli 1 ½ cup cooked = 9% DV
#6. Watercress 1 cup = 4% DV
#8. Bok Choy 1 cup = 7% DV
#9. Okra 1 cup = 8% DV

And finally, my personal favorite:

#10 Almonds 1 oz = 8% DV (or as I like to call them: Ah-mans )

For your health!

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2017, 18:22.

20. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 17:33 Kxmode

sauron wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 11:27:
OK, in honor of National Chili Day, I guess I'll post my previously secret hotsauce recipe, straight from the vault:

Sauron’s Habanero Sauce

I would expect nothing less from a flaming eyeball!

19. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 17:31 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 16:22:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 12:39:
descender wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 12:02:
Just found out yesterday that I am also going to be moving to the Southeastern Pennsyltucky area for basically the same reason that you are, Blue. We may have to convene for some smoked meats, chili and beers.

I thought Blue lives in New York?

He's moving. Question is: Will he be in red or blue territory?

Oh. Well, maybe he'll be in green land!

Don't bother. I'll show myself out...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2017, 12:39 Kxmode

descender wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 12:02:
Just found out yesterday that I am also going to be moving to the Southeastern Pennsyltucky area for basically the same reason that you are, Blue. We may have to convene for some smoked meats, chili and beers.

I thought Blue lives in New York?

Aside: Curiosity Stream has a great new series called Science Breakthroughs! Science for science junkies. The episode on gravitational waves is fascinating.

11. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 12:32 Kxmode

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 12:24:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 08:05:
thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 23:20:
only doing this as an act of desperation to give the few whales still playing the game and shelling out hundreds to thousands on microtransactions people to kill with their shiny pay-to-win weapons.

Are we still talking about COD or Star Citizen? Jester

Depends. How many of the pay-to-win ships can you actually fly in Star Citizen or are they still just JPGs?

I wouldn't know. Got a refund.

News Comments > For Honor Cheaters Banned
4. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 12:30 Kxmode

No Honor

80. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 08:21 Kxmode

Redmask wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 08:14:
I've done research is the code for "my opinion without validation". If you've done research, where is it? Where can we read these published findings with notation and citation?

http://pastebin.com/f5DEykKE

Please realize that the literal definition of research implies no validation beyond simply tackling a certain topic with "the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources to establish facts and reach new conclusions." What I found provided these findings. I hope you don't expect a university seal of approval otherwise that kind of thinking would literally invalidate anyone who takes it upon themselves to research/study subjects.

News Comments > Steep Adds Free Alaska Update
2. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 08:09 Kxmode

fawker wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 21:02:
maybe for $30, Will most likely wait for $20.

Same. I'll probably pick it up for $30. Looks like a fun game, even at that price. I still can't wrap my head around the open-world thing. I keep thinking of open-world RPG size; which is likely not the case.

9. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 08:05 Kxmode

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 23:20:
only doing this as an act of desperation to give the few whales still playing the game and shelling out hundreds to thousands on microtransactions people to kill with their shiny pay-to-win weapons.

Are we still talking about COD or Star Citizen? Jester

8. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 08:01 Kxmode

I love the irony of Infinite Warfare and Free Weekend. "Dude! It's not infinite. It ends Sunday night!"

35. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 06:46 Kxmode

Dacote wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:31:
Well now I know that I can wait for double extra butter to be drizzled on my popcorn and I don't have to worry about missing the opening scene.

A coworker once regaled to me his experience in a theater's concession area. After three months, he said the popcorn butter on the flood had literally melted the plastic soles of his shoes. People put that stuff in their body. Anyhow, don't let me keep you from your fun. Toodles!

34. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 06:39 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:22:
I haven't seen the movie yet but I've yet to see a Ridley Scott movie that I legitimately hated through and through though Exodus: Gods and Kings comes fairly close.

Oh, my goodness. I hate that film. I found it offensive. The part where the Angel of God (the one who communicated with Moses through the burning bush) appears a child in front of a burning bush is a pagan concept! I did the research and its legit paganism. Both Exodus and Noah received the "creatively authentic" tellings of Bible accounts PR nonsense. What the films did is provide a vehicle for Satan to say to the audience (many of whom are completely ignorant of the Bible), "Come sit down on my lap, and let me tell you a story of what 'really' happened."

I think I walked out of the theater right after the child/burning bush scene. I was barely able to get through Noah since he was portrayed as a schizophrenic madman and meanwhile God was silent and apathetic. So quiet in fact that Noah had to make a long trek to the "wizard-shaman-hermit" Methuselah to find out what God was asking him to do. And Meth-man was like, "Let's smoke a bong dude." The account in Genesis clearly shows Jehovah God was very much involved in directing and assisting Noah with the Ark building project. He's the one who gave Noah the blueprints to build the ark to precise dimensions and even which specified materials to use.

Those "rock creatures" were some of the most offensive garbage and demonic propaganda. I know who they are and what they represent. They did not come to earth to help humans with the environment (???). Those are angels who rebelled against God. They materialized human body (they didn't look like rock creatures) to have sex with women and contaminate the populous with mutant human-angelic hybrids known as Nephilim (Hebrew for "bullies"). If that concept doesn't blow your mind; consider, it's on the level of humans having sex with animals or plants. It was unnatural and went contrary to Jehovah's purpose for angels. The presence of demons and Nephilim on earth only exacerbated the problem with humanity in general being "only bad all of the time." Quite simply, humanity at that point in history had reached a level of depravity that forced the flood.

Anyhow, sorry. Bible stuff. I know! Apologies. Please, forgive. I'll put myself in the time-out corner. Dunce

78. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 05:58 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 02:05:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 22:44:
Okay, I gotta ask -- how do you define what's in the "main frame"?

Blues News is set up with a classic C-clamp design: banner across the top, left nav menu, and bottom footer. Those three items surround the main content frame where the stories are.

I think he also means the content area on the front page. By day 4, the news is starting to look like a nasty bowl of spaghetti.

77. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 05:56 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 19:59:
Yes yes, according to multiverse theory and quantum mechanics anything is possible. There's a chance you could jump off a 20 story building naked and land uninjured on the concrete. Since you've got a truly open mind you'll try that and get back to us with the results right? Or are you willing to say you'd never land uninjured?

So which requires more faith? A multiverse theory and quantum mechanics, or God and Faith. Make the "mind blown" sound. Wacko

76. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 05:23 Kxmode

descender wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 15:44:
If you start off by taking an assumption as fact, like "Jesus was actually the messiah", then you can easily be led to believe any number of vague passages foretold his coming.

The prophecy you referred to in the first paragraph doesn't even actually make any claim that a "messiah will be born in Bethlehem".

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans[a] of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.”

"Bethlehem Ephrathah" is an old tribe of Isreal, not the literal town of Bethlehem. This is how simple it is to get mislead and think someone may have "proved" things through the correlation of vague statements.

Interesting conclusions. I've done extensive research into that prophecy and whether Jesus is the Messiah because like you I questioned the validity. Suffice it to say, the conclusions I've reached it is solid, and Jesus' messiahship is without question (for me, at least). The Bible backs this up in a variety of places. Of the Bible, the Witness like to say, "The Bible is its own best interpreter." It really is. This is how many religious people in the past studied the scriptures. Of course, back then, it was much more challenging than it is today. Technology makes cross-referencing scriptures and research so much easier and faster.

There is no actual "scientific evidence" that anything spiritual claimed in the bible is actually true. There literally can't be if you understand what "scientific evidence" actually means. This means repeatable, verifiable proof of a concept. If there was proof then it wouldn't be considered faith, it would merely be an understanding of fact. They wouldn't be keeping it to themselves hidden behind vague prophecies, they would be shouting from the rooftops that they finally had something tangible to point to as existence of a deity.

And I would agree, except for one small detail. True faith (and by that I don't mean the kind where people dance around crazy in church with tambourines screaming "JEEEEEEE-sus" or play Candy Crush while their pastor shouts a sermon about the importance of supporting some political candidate) is based on evidence, not on emotions. And evidence, as you point out above, provides verifiable proof of a concept.

If you will permit this indulgence; I believe the difference between your view of faith and my view of faith is, you appear to look at faith through the prism of pure science, while I look at it through the prism of prophecy based on available evidence. Like you said, it is almost impossible to measure "faith" with science because it's an intangible construct. But for the believer, it is very real. This is why I try not to disrespect people with other faiths because for them their beliefs are as real to them as mine is for me. I guess it's much easier for a people of faith to understand others of faith, than it is for those without.

There is, however, plenty of research and evidence pointing to the allegorical nature of religious texts and how they all reflect ancient pagan sun worship. There is plenty of proof that the "gospels" were written hundreds of years later and the entirety of the Bible was cleansed and re-written by the Romans.

Close, actually, the gospels were written several decades later, and there is plenty of evidence to support that. Obviously they did not write them as they happened. Facebook and Instagram didn't exist. Kidding!

However, the intangible evidence is found in the times. Think back to those days. There were no books (the codex hadn't been invented). No Internet. Libraries were only available to the privileged elite. Knowledge was power, and it was controlled by those in power. And all that knowledge, for the most part, was found in rolls and rolls of stacked scrolls. Under those conditions, Mark, Luke, John, and Matthew penned their books. So how were they able to recall so much information, in depth, and fundamentally get the same accounts correct? Holy Spirit. That's the tool Jehovah used to help them have "total recall" of events. What's interesting is that like a tool Jehovah chose very specific events during Jesus life and ministry. This thought is admitted by John in his final verse at 21:25, "There are also, in fact, many other things that Jesus did, which if ever they were written in full detail, I suppose the world itself could not contain the scrolls written." For reasons, only Jehovah's knows the stuff in the gospel is what he chose to bring to their minds.

I'm not sure if this concept makes sense to you. I mean it does to me, but I could see how it would sound like gibberish. I wouldn't necessarily say "I'm grasping at straws" with my replies. I am merely saying I've done an extensive study into what the holy spirit is and how God uses it and it is completely reasonable to conclude that as a tool it is behind all of the inspired scriptures, and the gospels in particular.

This is kind of what I was talking about in the other thread... Religion in all it's forms is highly susceptible to human interference, revision, and denial. Throughout history, the texts have been changed to suit those in power. There is no way to know if any part of it is in it's original or intended form, how could something to fallible be the word of an infallible being?

Absolutely and an entirely reasonable conclusion. With over 4,400 religions how can anyone say which one(s) are correct or accurate or whatever they use to claim theirs is right. I guess the way I look at it, and perhaps this illustration may make sense to you, are let's say I worked as a Cashier. My boss tells me to be on the lookout for counterfeit money due to a massive supply of them. Technology and criminals can constantly change their tactics to produce fake money that looks real. So how do I identify the real from the fakes? What I would do is study in great detail what real money looks like so that a forgery will be much easier to spot. Does that make sense? There are too many religions in the world (over 4,400), so instead of studying each why not study the Bible and then find the faith that aligns itself as close to its tenets and principles? In my study, I found almost all religions share universal doctrines, and virtually all originate from paganism. This commonality makes me believe the largest religion in the world is neo-paganism; it simply comes in 4,400 "flavors." I wrote about the details of these commonalities at http://pastebin.com/edit/f5DEykKE (it's organized but lengthy, so I'll understand if you'd like to pass).

I mean that's how I did it. My approach was a very systematic. You could almost say scientific in nature.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing you points. Truly, interesting. Smart

12602 Comments. 631 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo