Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 14292 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
16. Re: A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI? Jul 14, 2018, 16:53 Kxmode

the aliens into the terrifying hunters one would expect, rather than the unfocused nomads

But, they are unfocused nomads. They crashed their ship on LV-426.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > James Ohlen Departs BioWare
11. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 16:48 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 12:29:
That EA didn't support Andromeda post release properly is why to me Anthem might as well not exist. That Andromeda story was sequel bait and did not resolve fuck all. And the writing quality is an insult. That quality will no doubt continue in Anthem as it doesn't seem like they hired decent writers this time around either.

Remember Bioware Edmonton isn't Bioware Montreal. Montreal created Andromeda, but it is Edmonton who is responsible for Bioware's best titles.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 16:42 Kxmode

1badmf wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 00:22:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 15:38:
NKD wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 15:10:
I thought Ohlen was still on SWTOR, not Anthem? But yeah 22 years at one company, man that's a long time. Looks like he's getting into making D&D sourcebooks. Sounds a lot less stressful.

I'm sure it'll have stress, but nothing like the stress associated with developing video games.

imagine the stress of those devs that made andromeda, both during its fucked up development AND the post-launch drama.

They created that stress both in their collective ideas and in grafting their beliefs into their work and pushing it out to a demographic that was neither ready for it nor wanted it. That said, I played Andromeda and liked it for the reason that it is a good game. However, I wouldn't call it excellent, nor a worthy entry into the Mass Effect IP.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2018, 16:30 Kxmode

A follow-up gleamed from disk-partition.com:

----

Why do we need to partition HDD?

The working mechanism of SSDs and HDDs are different. The reason we install the operating system on the first partition of a hard disk drive is that the outermost tracks have a higher transfer rate. Putting the data and other files on a separate partition than the C drive makes the OS work more efficiently and fast. In short, we partition a traditional hard drive because of its physical structure.

Is it okay to partition SSD?

For SSD, there’s no such thing as a transfer rate differential. Multiple memories have replaced the spinning disk and the read/write head in traditional hard drives. Since there are no moving mechanical components in SSD, the transfer rate of different SSD memory chips is almost the same. SSD won’t confine the data to a particular physical region of it. Thus you don’t need to partition an SSD if you want to get better performance from it.

----

I figured this was the case, but it's nice to know that I don't need a partition on an SSD.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Adds Auto-Bans
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Adds Auto-Bans Jul 14, 2018, 16:25 Kxmode

Machine learning AI bans tend to be very broad. They operate on a "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of fuzzy logic.  

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
14. Re: A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI? Jul 14, 2018, 16:22 Kxmode

A story on ResetEra highlights a post on Mod DB that suggests some of the problems with unintelligent AI in Aliens Colonial Marines may be the result of a typo in the code, where the addition of a single extra letter may have broken things.

Sounds like life where an extra chromosome or an extra letter in the code of DNA can effectively break humans, plants, and animals.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2018, 04:40 Kxmode

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 02:19:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 16:09:

So I guess now that I have two 500GB SSDs and a 2TB 7200 HDD. I'll go with TheBigVlad's suggestion of an SDD for Windows, another SDD for top-teir games, and the HDD for everything else.

500gb is massive for a system disk. just make a 120gb partition and you should have plenty of room for OS, and 880gb remaining of SSD space for games,

That sounds like a good plan.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2018, 17:39 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 17:31:
I heard there is a great party over at Crystal Lake! Lol_dies

Really glad I don't have Triskaidekaphobia!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2018, 16:09 Kxmode

(Update) Final computer:

+ Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
+ Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
+ Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
+ Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
+ (2) Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - I guess bought two of these
+ Western Digital 2 TB Black (7200 SATA 6) - Picked up tonight
+ MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card
+ Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
+ EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
+ Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
+ Logitech G106 keyboard (cannibalizing from the previous machine)
+ Logitech M510 mouse (cannibalizing)
+ DVD Burner (cannibalizing)
+ (2) LG 27" 4K UHD IPS screens (picked these up last year during Black Friday)

So I guess now that I have two 500GB SSDs and a 2TB 7200 HDD. I'll go with TheBigVlad's suggestion of an SDD for Windows, another SDD for top-teir games, and the HDD for everything else.

7. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 13, 2018, 15:38 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 15:10:
I thought Ohlen was still on SWTOR, not Anthem? But yeah 22 years at one company, man that's a long time. Looks like he's getting into making D&D sourcebooks. Sounds a lot less stressful.

I'm sure it'll have stress, but nothing like the stress associated with developing video games.

News Comments > Overwatch League on ESPN
19. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 13, 2018, 00:13 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 23:34:
..."but...I....must.....explain.....myself....they....don't...UNDERSTAND!!!!"...

I am not the one having difficulty understanding what is and is not a sport. Slapping the label "eSport" on the thing doesn't make it a sport. Giving it airtime on ESPN doesn't make it a sport. It's not a sport until Merriam-Webster says it is.

17. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 23:09 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 19:44:
The argument as to whether esports are sports or not literally doesn't matter. Esports are here to stay and only getting more popular and if a network wants to broadcast them and take advantage of that popularity, your narrow minded definition of what they are and are not able to broadcast based on some sort of preconceived worldview because 'but it ain't sports and it's on a sports channel!' is not only irrelevant, it's silly in the first place.

They have like a billion espn channels or something, who cares if one of them is running esports anyway? weird thing to get bent about...or even be negative about.

The name E-SPORT literally means Electronic Sport. I'm saying putting sport in the label is actually incorrect because the entire thing is NOT a sport. It's COMPETITIVE SPECTATOR GAMING... or S-GAMING... or SG. It could also be called ARENA GAMING.

16. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 23:01 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 18:54:
Oh, I see, so you're an early adopter of hardwiring your brain directly to the computer... The rest of us plebes are still using our physical limbs to interact with the keyboard and mouse.

I've already stated eSports is more like Chess because it's not about physical skills. It's about mental ability. Moves and counter moves. But nobody classifies Chess as a sport (at least not that I know of). Likewise, no one should classify eSports as a sport. It doesn't fit the definition of what sports are. In other words, the meaning of it cannot change because it is now a "thing" on ESPN.

3. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 12, 2018, 22:53 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 21:32:
Unless I miscounted that's the 5th high profile leave mid-anthem development....

Anthem is at a state where he likely feels his time is no longer required.

11. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 18:24 Kxmode

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 17:10:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 01:08:
eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity.

As a former DotA player that can no longer stay competitive due to aging reactions times and probably the onset of crippling arthritis I wholeheartedly disagree.

"Sport includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators."

I assume most of you are intelligent enough to know what makes sports, sports. eSports is NOT sports and putting them on ESPN doesn't change the definition of what it is. It just makes ESPN silly and foolish for trying to create something that isn't a sport, a sport.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 13:37 Kxmode

TheBigVlad wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 08:10:
That's gonna be a beast.

Thanks! I haven't done a full upgrade since 2006.

One thing though, do you plan on installing games on the 500GB SSD or basically just use it for OS? Seems small for both if you plan to put games on it. ... I think there's a noticeable difference in loading speed when gaming on an SSD but I honestly can't remember how big of an improvement over HD it is since I haven't used an HD for games in a long time.

The current plan for the SSD is the OS with apps and games that I feel would benefit the most from the SSD's performance. For example,

APPs
Yes = Adobe's products
No = ACID music production, CPUz, Microsoft Office, and so forth

GAMES
Yes = Conan Exiles, Watchdogs 2, Guild Wars 2, Deliverance: Kingdom Come
No = Guild Wars 1, Terraria, Curse of the Monkey Island, 0°N 0°W, ABZΫ, Halo: Spartan Strike, Sudoku Zenkai, and so forth

I like having my games on SSD so if it were me I would probably have a 250GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB SSD for games, in addition to the 2TB HD for other storage.

I have a combined 5TB of external storage. It's my "public storage."

My computer at work only has an SSD while my potato computer at home has an older 5400 HDD. There's a HUGE difference between each. SSD Photoshop launches in about 3 seconds. HDD Photoshop lunches in about 40 seconds. Based on that, I've decided to put all the "heavy-hitter" apps and games exclusively on the SSD. If the performance is impressive, I may purchase another 1TB SSD and turn that into a tertiary drive.

9. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 13:13 Kxmode

MT Silver wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 04:28:
Nobody's gonna turn on the television to watch some "mental exercises". They turn it on to watch sports. This is about MONEY. The execs at ESPN don't give one rats ass about the definition of words. All they care about is "how many people will tune in" and "can this lead to more monetisation?".
That's why eSports is growing stronger every day. It's a new, untapped market for the 1% to get their claws into.

I already stated that bluntly in one iteration of my comment. Then I changed it to "I guess it's much easier to get ad revenue from the glitz of an eSports tournament than a chess tournament." IOW, it's all about the money.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 01:19 Kxmode

Final computer:

+ Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
+ Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
+ Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
+ Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
+ Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
+ Western Digital 2 TB Black (7200 SATA 6) - Picked up tonight
+ MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card
+ Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
+ EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
+ Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
+ Logictech G106 keyboard (cannibalizing from previous machine)
+ Logitech M510 mouse (cannibalizing)
+ DVD Burner (cannibalizing)
+ (2) LG 27" 4K UHD IPS screens (picked these up last year during Black Friday)

Total estimated spread-out cost: ~$3,500.00

2. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 01:08 Kxmode

There are MANY other activities I would classify as sports. Parkour, horseshoe, cricket, croquet, badminton, tetherball, squash, and so forth. eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity. It's a mental exercise and belongs in the same category as games like chess, checkers, and risk. Games of strategy and out-thinking opponents. But I guess it's much easier to get ad revenue from the glitz of an eSports tournament than a chess tournament (frankly, I'd rather watch a chess tournament).  

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans
4. Re: CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans Jul 11, 2018, 21:54 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:53:
I want them to go 200 years in the past. Completely unrelated to all we know.

Witchers of the Old Nilfgaard

14292 Comments. 715 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo