Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 14037 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2018, 15:01 Kxmode

Night owls have a 10% increase in mortality risk, study says.

Likely related to driving the next day. Serious sleep deprivation has the same effect as driving under the influence.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2018, 01:30 Kxmode

Radical Heights is the #1 game on Twitch. I give up. People are sheep.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

News Comments > Radical Heights Launched
11. Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2018, 17:15 Kxmode

peteham wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:38:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:45:
If you think you can make something, do more work towards making it before showing it off. Blah blah, only one chance to make a first impression. How many games pick up steam later on in life, especially after a mediocre-or-worse launch? Fortnite, by completely changing what the game was (to the point that the title no longer makes sense), and... uh...?
With Lawbreakers failing the way it did, I'd guess this move is forced by their financial situation. Either release now and hope for some income or investor interest, or run out of cash for payroll in a few months anyway, having released nothing. I really can't see this doing well in any state though. At a superficial level, it's too similar to the pre-existing juggernaut of Fortnite. Much like the next big MOBA-situation of yesteryear.

For the sake of those hard-working developers, I hope it does well. Unemployment sucks.

10. Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 17:13 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:29:
Currently #65 in total players online, right alongside H1Z1 and Clicker Heroes... Not a strong showing for a F2P launch.

On Twitch it's #4 with 77,293 viewers.

News Comments > Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter
9. Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter Apr 10, 2018, 16:15 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:03:
Task wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 12:43:
That inkwell is actually pretty cool.
4 Brick Oven Pizza's cool? ($80 inkwell) Never met a kickstarter I didn't like.

Confucius say, "One man's Inkwell, is another man's 4-Brick Pizza Oven."

8. Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter Apr 10, 2018, 16:12 Kxmode

Luke wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 14:15:
Annnd yet another so called "developer of games" bends over getting ready for all the "Backers" to give him a shot........of money

And some gave him what he asked for .....i see

Pay attention dog. You're lagging behind.

7. Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter Apr 10, 2018, 16:10 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:47:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 11:57:
I backed at the $250 level.
Were all the $1,000 slots were already gone?

Yeah. Those $1K slots were gone in under eight hours.

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:47:
As I mentioned in a previous topic I played the original but never got far. At the time it was a cool idea. I might even be interested in this, at a reasonable price point, if they make it Win7 compatible.

It's a certainty a complete edition will appear on Steam and GOG for $49.99 when ready (that's the going price on Kickstarter). For me, I'm backing primarily for the extremely limited tangible items plus the physical DVD. Haven't bought a physical PC game box in ages.

6. Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:58 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:17:
And everyone involved on this thought 'Yeah, this is gonna' be fucking radical, bro!'? Wow. Just wow.

However, never underestimate the negativity and cynicism among gamers. A game like this, even if it were good, would likely suffer the same response. The wounds are still fresh from LB. It's the game equivalent of a parent beating their child (shut down LB) and then two days later throwing a party (Rad Heights announcement and launch). Parent, "Oh, I didn't hit you hard! Hey, have some cake! It's rad."

2. Re: Radical Heights Launched Apr 10, 2018, 15:08 Kxmode

"Mostly Negative" Bogus!  

2. Re: Myst 25th Anniversary Collection Kickstarter Apr 10, 2018, 11:57 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 10:56:
I'm guessing they're doing this to see if there's any actual interest in this because they sure as hell can easily afford to do this themselves. I always thought it was a terrible game and terribly overrated.

No. There's already interest. Backers blew past Cyan's target goal in eight hours. Rand Miller opined about it.

Why is this significant? If you visit Steam, it's missing more a few of the Myst games. For example, Myst 3 is published by UbiSoft, and they don't sell it. Cyan talked to all the right people, including UbiSoft, and worked out a plan to not only get all the games but also update them for modern Windows. The purpose of the Kickstarter is to provide Cyan with a guaranteed pool of funds (Kickstarter works on an All-Or-Nothing funding model) to produce those physical exclusives. They stated they're costly to produce.

In full disclosure, I backed at the $250 level. As a Myst fan, the LCD Myst book and Gehn Pen and Inkwell look too amazing a collectible to pass up. You guys know how I feel about crowdfunding, but I think here it's fine. Cyan has a very specific objective and they reached 100% funding, plus they have an excellent track record of delivering.

News Comments > Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights
16. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 10, 2018, 03:07 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 23:53:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 20:14:
These poor guys. Always a day late and a dollar short.

I am not liking that aesthetic. No one is nostalgic for the 80s, so if you're going to use that setting, you'd better do a fantastic job, a la Stranger Things.

There are also 2 different types of nostalgia, and Stranger Things has very little to do with the 80ies aside from aesthetics Speech and behavior are modern. It's the best of 2 worlds imo. Kids in the 80ies talking like kids from the 80ies would have been completely alien to a modern audience.

Bummer. It seems like minimal effort. "This is a five month passion project for the studio as we're creating and publishing the game entirely by ourselves." 5-months and it's early access. I'm out...

7. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 21:29 Kxmode

Overon wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 21:11:
Smacks of desperation. However has cliffy b done things that have earned him so much ire?

Likely not as bad as John Romero but there's a personality surrounding Mr. "CliffyB" Bleszinski that is not unlike the WWE characters who "smack-talk." He did it for years while at Epic on their game engine and his Gear of Wars titles.

5. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 20:38 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 20:25:
People are nostalgic for the 80s all the time.

^ This. Works in Ready Player One and Stranger Things. Not here.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2018 Tix on Sale Tonight
5. Re: BlizzCon 2018 Tix on Sale Tonight Apr 9, 2018, 20:17 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 19:54:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 19:19:
I'd rather play than watch someone else play.
So, you never watch any sports then?

I don't watch sports either (with the rare exception of the Super Bowl).

News Comments > GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time
24. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 19:38 Kxmode

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 17:18:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 16:03:
"PC Gaming is dead."

Based on what the Witcher 3 folks stated ("PC has the longest life cycle" of any gaming platform), we can conclude the same is true with GTA5 and even more so given the vibrant modding community. A console is all about bursty sales and great quarterly profits for Shareholder reports, but PC is where it's at for sustained residuals. That's why PC continues to be the "third" column alongside Xbox and PS4 for most new releases. Case in point, over the long term, Square Enix is going to make a lot of money from sales of Final Fantasy 15 for PC on various distros (Steam, Origin, etc.).

I do think a part of this is the PC having no used market though, as well as full backwards compatibility. There's probably dozens of GTA5 boxes at every Gamestop in the US for $10 or whatever used, but on Steam it's still a big seller every holiday sale for $25. Also it should work on PC gaming rigs 10 or 20 years from now, which isn't as easy to say about the Xbox version.

As consoles dive deeper and deeper into digital distribution and backwards compatibility, something the Xbox One X seems to be having a lot of success with, it will be interesting to see if these differences change. Someone at work randomly mentioned to me the other day he got Deus Ex Human Revolution for his Xbox One on the digital store, something I didn't know Xbox has progressed to so quickly.

Yup. Plus on an upgraded machine there's a huge incentive to finally buy a game like GTA5 that wasn't playable at 60+ FPS with ultra settings in 4K. I bought a ton of old games like that and enjoyed the buttery smooth framerates with extreme settings.

2. Re: Boss Key Strives for Radical Heights Apr 9, 2018, 19:33 Kxmode

Their Me-Too FPS MOBA failed, so they jump into the crowded Me-Too Battle Royale? Whose bright business decision was that?  

News Comments > BlizzCon 2018 Tix on Sale Tonight
2. Re: BlizzCon 2018 Tix on Sale Tonight Apr 9, 2018, 19:19 Kxmode

Interesting. By the time of BlizzCon, the WOW expansion will have been out long enough for it to be in end-of-game grind territory. I wonder if that's the point? Blizzard is moving past WOW and committing themselves to pure e-Sports as their highlight seems to indicate.

When I was a kid, I had to share the controller on single-player games. I hated watching my siblings and waiting for my turn. Twitch or e-Sports reminds me of that. That's the primary reason I cannot get into Twitch or e-Sports. I'd rather play than watch someone else play.

News Comments > System Shock Source Code Released
4. Re: System Shock Source Code Released Apr 9, 2018, 16:25 Kxmode

PowerMac?  

News Comments > GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time
21. Re: GTA5 the Most Successful Media Title of All Time Apr 9, 2018, 16:03 Kxmode

"PC Gaming is dead."

Based on what the Witcher 3 folks stated ("PC has the longest life cycle" of any gaming platform), we can conclude the same is true with GTA5 and even more so given the vibrant modding community. A console is all about bursty sales and great quarterly profits for Shareholder reports, but PC is where it's at for sustained residuals. That's why PC continues to be the "third" column alongside Xbox and PS4 for most new releases. Case in point, over the long term, Square Enix is going to make a lot of money from sales of Final Fantasy 15 for PC on various distros (Steam, Origin, etc.).

DangerDog wrote on Apr 9, 2018, 13:38:
Wonder what the split is between PC and consoles, they have to be pulling numbers big enough from PC to justify Red Dead Redemption 2 port, right?

Pretty sure it's like Witcher 3. A burst of sales on consoles for the first 3-6 months after release. But TONS more on PC thanks to the online and modding components.

News Comments > System Shock Revival Revived
8. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 7, 2018, 18:26 Kxmode

Project creep descoping is always a plus in my book. The current iteration of the game through the alpha video is excellent and I'm glad they are going back to that. That's what we want. System Shock with modern graphics.  

14037 Comments. 702 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo