Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Here's my full communication with CIG requesting a refund. http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs This contains eye opening evidence.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 11386 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
71. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 22, 2016, 11:42 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 11:34:
If you thought 3D was here to stay you probably believe the same thing about this fad.

Are you referring to 3D Printers or 3D (as in VR)? Please clarify.

Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout, "Do your worst, for I will do mine!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 22, 2016, 11:34 Kxmode

descender wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 08:18:
A killer app helps but it's not enough. CDRoms were already down to $200-$300 by that point and could be added to nearly every PC in existence. They also alrady had the entire music industry behind them, so it's not really an apt comparison.

That's precisely why Myst and The 7th Guest, both released in 1993, could be considered killer apps because of their influence on CD-ROM drive sales for personal computers. This lead to widespread market adoption of the format. Back in 1993 I bought my first CD-ROM drive specifically so I could play Myst. A lot of people bought Myst because it was so revolutionary for the time and showed the storage power of CD-ROMs. If Myst had never came out I likely would've never purchased a $200 CD-ROM drive.

The point is in order for VR to take off it is going to need a killer app. Something that drives people to adopt the format beyond reason and their budget.

In all fairness CD-ROM technology came out in 1989 or there abouts. Adoption happened in 1993. So it took 4 years for CD-ROMs to become mainstream. Given the similar cost of ownership I anticipate 4 years for VR.

Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout, "Do your worst, for I will do mine!"

37. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 17:48 Kxmode

Squirmer wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 17:37:
A killer app still isn't a guarantee that VR will be "the future". Nintendo had a killer app with Wii Sports, and nowadays they can't shift a console. No one cares about motion controls anymore, as Microsoft discovered very quickly. And yet VR tech is trying to bring it back.

This is why Hololens, Microsoft's answer to VR, in my humble opinion will be successful. Because it's augmented reality the computing power needed is much less. The video presentation of the Minecraft Hololens makes me want to buy a HoloLens! Now that's a killer app!

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2016, 18:00.

31. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 17:30 Kxmode

McTurbo wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 17:13:
Some of you have forgotten or were not around when 3DFX launched.. an entire industry exists and todays console and pc market owes its current existance to one decision. .to launch the 3DFX card on the popularity of one game.. quake 1.. the jump from software to 3d graphics simply shocked people with how good it was.. so until we have all experianced an oculus or vive and seen VR for ourselves.. all you are doing is spouting your ignorance and claiming it as fact.

Precisely. What you're describing is a killer app. Sonic the Hedgehog was the killer app for Genesis. Halo for the Xbox. Myst for the CD-ROM. Final Fantasy 7 For the PlayStation. VR needs a killer app. At the moment NOTHING exists.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Drinking more coffee may undo liver damage from booze. Feb 21, 2016, 16:04 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 15:56:
Well, duh! That's why you drink coffee to get over a drunk.

Very true. I drink coffee to help me get over a drunk otherwise that drunk just takes up the whole floor.

2. [ Retro Scan ] DWANGO Online Service. Feb 21, 2016, 14:10 Kxmode

The "D" is silent.  

12. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 14:01 Kxmode

The only way new technology works is if

1. it's a NEED; regardless of cost (e.g. iPhone)
2. the price drops to a point that consumers are willing to buy (e.g. CD-ROM)
3. No other technology required to buy to support this new technology

#1 is definitely out. I don't see VR as a NEED. It's a high tech Tickle-Me-Elmo. Needless to say a very pricey toy.

#3 is a huge barrier to adoption. Most people don't want to spend ~$1,600 for a new computer and the VR device.

So this leaves #2. The CD-ROM premiered in ~1998/1999 for around $2,000. At the time it was not consumer budget friendly. Around ~1993 it dropped to $200. This is when Myst premiered and people bought CD-ROMs to play Myst. So the conclusion is VR is too pricey to be adopted by the masses. However, given the inevitability that VR iterations will lower the price plus the eventuality that people will upgrade their computers to hardware that will meet the basic requirements means that one day VR will become as common as mobile devices. But it won't happen this year or the next. Maybe it will happen in 2019/2020.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2016, 15:57.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 20, 2016, 23:33 Kxmode

This is old news. Campaign was cancelled on October 17, 2015.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 19, 2016, 18:53 Kxmode

EricFate wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 03:49:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 19:08:
lol that boy isn't very bright.

maybe he should sue The Internet™

Instead of suing it, he should buy it some plastic surgery. That will fix it real good.

How does the Internet benefit from plastic surgery?

12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 19, 2016, 18:49 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 04:59:
This guy is so damn stupid I bet he doesn't even know which way West is on a compass....

"Yo, wherever the needle is pointing that's mother-effing West! Why? Because I'm everywhere! I'm a lyrical God! A rapper of the ages!" * Drops mic *

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2016, 18:58.

14. Re: That coffee capsule story... Feb 19, 2016, 18:44 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 18:05:
DRM in your coffee machine

DRM in your coffee machine? So I can't share anything I brew with others?

News Comments > Need for Speed PC Specs
13. Re: Need for Speed PC Specs Feb 19, 2016, 16:17 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 10:56:
If you want to play a 2016 racing game with no in-car view, short list of cars, always drive in the dark and wet, rubber band AI, stupid story, Monster drink product placement.... this is the game for you.

If you're going to bash at least offer an alternative.

9. Re: Need for Speed PC Specs Feb 19, 2016, 13:52 Kxmode

I'm not worried about AI rubberbanding. I have ways to get around that stuff.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY
9. Re: Fallout 4 D.I.C.E. GotY Feb 19, 2016, 11:30 Kxmode

For all its quirks Life Is Strange remains one of the most engaging games I've played and slightly more so than Witcher 3. Even now Witcher 3 is a blur in term of recalling the story whereas LIS is still very vivid. Episodes 2, 3, and 4 remain the high points of the series through shock and tears.  

3. Re: Need for Speed PC Specs Feb 19, 2016, 10:49 Kxmode

Thanks nin! Very helpful site.

So it looks like my CPU meets the recommended specs.

i7-3770k
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GTX 960

So I should be able to enjoy close to 1080p60. So looking forward to NFS. Haven't played NFS since Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit on PlayStation.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2016, 10:42 Kxmode

Hi Stephen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but on the homepage there's a second video ad.

http://screencast.com/t/iGuteE0KV

These ads makes the homepage unstable.

1. Re: Need for Speed PC Specs Feb 19, 2016, 10:41 Kxmode

Is an i3-4130 better than a i7-3770?  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2016, 10:37 Kxmode

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2016, 23:02 Kxmode

He needs to chill and eat some fishsticks.  

News Comments > Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed
10. Re: Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed Feb 18, 2016, 15:49 Kxmode

Alamar wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 14:15:
Those are some big names... Wonder if they'll have any budget left over afterwards...

Yes. Unlike a certain other space game.

11386 Comments. 570 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo