Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews (Latest version hides all blocked user quotes)
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12654 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook
21. Re: On Sale Mar 8, 2017, 01:12 Kxmode

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 20:26:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 18:33:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 18:08:
We don't need it to be perfect man. We just need it to exist, and be timely.

Absolutely. My meaning is HBS runs a business so when they communicate with their backers and the public they should follow a measure of professional decorum otherwise they come off sounding small and amateurish. Informal is what Sean Murray used, and that didn't go so well for him. My translated example only provides the most important information people need to hear. They can relegate the "happy talk" to game show and convention chit-chat.

I don't particularly care if their informational releases aren't as polished as some others. I care that they make good games and are open and honest with their supporters. I'd rather they spend the money on the game than paying someone else to write this stuff.

As a backer at the $50 level, I care. I'm not interested in happy talk like "Now that our technical issues are behind us, the team is focused on quality and on delivering an experience that shows the world why HBS loves BattleTech and why everyone else should, too." That's superfluous nonsense that has nothing to do with the game itself. All I care about is the status of the game, what issues have they run into, and when can we expect the beta soon? That's it. Ditch the happy fluffy pillow talk. This isn't a relationship; I'm looking for answers.

P.S. this game was the last crowdfunded / early access project I backed. I believe I'm zero for all projects I backed (not including Star Citizen since I got a refund; that doesn't count). I have yet to see any launch. Of the bunch, BT is the only one that's close. I may back future HBS plans merely because they have, so far, an excellent track record of delivering on what they scope near the time they say they can deliver. As far as I'm concerned that's high ROI in my book. Thumbsup

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: On Sale Mar 8, 2017, 00:48 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 00:13:
dude - nobody gives a shit

if you really were going to shut up, you would just do it...

but thats not what you are really doing here, its just more lack of impulse control.. lack of will, lack of wisdom, lack of everything you claim to aspire to

I do.

I have already stated ad nauseum that I would not post bible stuff. I repeatedly linked to a post that quite literally says I'm banning myself from discussing the Bible on this site. The issue in play is that after banning myself, the conversations have turned measuredly bigoted. In other words, almost no one bothered to travel down "that road" until I got off it. It's the forum equivalent of bashing someone while they are present. "Uh... yeah, so I can still hear you. Nope. I can still hear. Seriously, I'm right here." lol.

Anyhow, I'd think you, more than anyone else, should know there's a measurable amount of back and forth on this site. It's one of the reasons why I believe we can agree Blue's News remains a bastion of compelling ideas on topics (and up until now never drifting into the realm of religion or spirituality). I'm just saying if someone says "I'm done talking about this" then gracefully capitulate. You guys asked me to stop, so I'm only observing your wishes and doing so. So let's drop this. And by this, I mean don't start bashing my beliefs after the fact. That's not cool. Let's afford everyone a measure of cordial respect, even if we disagree. That's what gentlemen do.

Toff

29. Re: On Sale Mar 8, 2017, 00:21 Kxmode

@Mr. Tact - Of course, I read and edit my posts many times before posting. To reiterate, my point is Brian wouldn't talk about a particular subject to a group of people who are not interested in it at the wrong time and place. Do you get that? The illustration has absolutely nothing to do with the listener's intelligence towards the subject; it has to do with their interest towards it. I'm sure any of those construction workers, if properly interested, would go and listen to Brian Greene give a talk on string theory. But they go to him, not the other way around. I hope this makes sense because I don't know how to make it any simpler.

TL;DR You're really over-complicating things.

26. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 23:26 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 23:10:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 22:56:
Even when Brian Greene gives his lectures on string theory, he is typically in rooms of people who are interested in the topic. Can you imagine he tried to give the same talk at E3 or to a bunch of construction workers on a job site? They would rightly think the man was loco. LOL.
Great, now I am uneducated because I don't believe. Nice tactic, insult those you wish to convince. Just do us all a favor and do what you keep saying you are going to do...

Dude. What? The point is there is a place and time for everything. I used Brian Greene as a reference because I know many on this site are educated, and intelligent, and love the beauty of math and science. And my bible postings is out of place.

Honestly not sure how you misunderstood my post. Oh well. All good.

24. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 23:02 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 21:33:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 19:04:
Before you turn this into the Spanish Inquisition's "Confession Hour" perhaps you should read my post. It sheds light on the status of bible posts on this site moving forward. It made RedEye super happy.
No need, I am a simple guy. If I get what I ask for, I tend not to question it.

That's why they call you Mister Tact.

23. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 22:56 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 21:32:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 21:21:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 19:04:
Before you turn this into the Spanish Inquisition's "Confession Hour" perhaps you should read my post. It sheds light on the status of bible posts on this site moving forward. It made RedEye super happy.

Too bad. I enjoyed reading your perspective on things, from a theological standpoint.

I agree. They act as if though he has magic powers and they are trying to resist his words.

I wouldn't have believed the second part of the council, "that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open" until I saw it for myself. After posting my message about pulling back from such topics the conversation appeared to descend into levels of bigotry. I felt perhaps it would be good to direct the conversation away from such things before it transforms into full-blown bigotry. Jesus was correct about WHO and WHERE you share information. There are places and times for such things. I'd imagine this nugget of wisdom applies to anything. Even when Brian Greene gives his lectures on string theory, he is typically in rooms of people who are interested in the topic. Can you imagine he tried to give the same talk at E3 or to a bunch of construction workers on a job site? They would rightly think the man was loco. LOL.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2017, 19:04 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 18:47:
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

14. Re: BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook Mar 7, 2017, 18:33 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 18:08:
We don't need it to be perfect man. We just need it to exist, and be timely.

Absolutely. My meaning is HBS runs a business so when they communicate with their backers and the public they should follow a measure of professional decorum otherwise they come off sounding small and amateurish. Informal is what Sean Murray used, and that didn't go so well for him. My translated example only provides the most important information people need to hear. They can relegate the "happy talk" to game show and convention chit-chat.

61. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 18:25 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 11:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 11:06:
Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 09:54:
2) Having the absolute worst, most biased, most inaccurate translation of the Bible
Is there a good, accurate translation?

Yeah. Because we're talking translation, not content, haha.

The Bible JWs use intentionally deceives by adding in references to their practices and beliefs not found in the original text.

So, if you think the Bible is bad, theirs is worse.

It is very easy to ignorantly prejudge a person based on their association with a group. However, to prevent yourself from descending further into baseless bigotry, please refer to section 1, 3, and 4 of http://pastebin.com/f5DEykKE . Remember, education is the cornerstone of wisdom, and it would benefit you to learn more about my particular background. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed. Thanks, Sepharo. Unaware periods are included in links.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2017, 00:07.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined
16. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 18:14 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:32:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:12:
Survival Games is the new cash cow. Whether or not they're good is irrelevant. It's the new hotness.

Sounds like Funcom has terrible management and have no clue how to run a company.

I'll be glad when this fad is over with survival games and then it'll be game over for Funcom.

The problem that I see is I don't think dumping 5-10 million more into that game is going to get them 5-10 million more. The survival gamers aren't buying full polish games.. they're ALL early access.

Absolutely. They're chasing the trendy gravy train. Comments like "These games sell a lot, but they’re not that high quality. We could definitely hit that bar" literally implies "We can spend almost no time producing trash in a played out genre, and people will eat it up because they can't get enough of this survival crap." It's a horrible business model.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2017, 18:08 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 16:34:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:21:
I might have been me.

wait - are you saying you cursed him with your magical god powers?

are you saying you smited him? with the wrath of the all-father?

is that what you are saying?

Or... I posted too much bible stuff.

11. Re: BattleTech Beta Delay and Release Date Outlook Mar 7, 2017, 15:47 Kxmode

Allow me to eliminate the happy talk to communicate the real talk.

----

The entire project has slowed as we attempted to pause before the final Beta launch week. Despite a strong push to reach our March 15th target date, instability issues unexpectedly came up. The project leads decided to step back and take a hard look at the situation. We decided it was best to temporarily eliminate deadline crunching and focus on finishing the vital infrastructure and editor work. Reviewing our quality level and reassessing the target date for backer beta comes secondary.

With the most glaring technical issues behind us, we have focused the team on quality and polish. We will send out a new realistic target date soon. Please note backer beta remains a high priority even if it takes a little longer. Your patience remains a virtue.

----

The rest is extreme business rhetoric. The last paragraph about the missed Kickstarter May deadline is eye-rolling. However, they shouldn't make it a prominent part of the announcement. They shouldn't talk about it in this communication since it's unrelated. They can post that information elsewhere such as a small thread in the forums in response to a backer's specific questions about it.

HBS needs to bring on another PR person; whoever wrote this update needs help. Their communication to supporters should remain concise and convey only what is required without drifting too much into informal verbiage.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2017, 15:21 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 13:04:
MajorD wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 13:01:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 12:44:
Man, I hope nin is okay. So unlike him to just disappear.

Hhhhhmmmmm....yeah....when was his last post?

2 weeks ago. And no indication that he'd be out for a while. Whatever it was, it was sudden.

I might have been me.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined
14. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 7, 2017, 15:12 Kxmode

Perhaps this article will provide the real reasons Funcom decided to go with a Survival game:

"Speaking to Engadget at GDC, creative director Joel Bylos said the company was so close to bankruptcy before Conan Exiles it was borrowing from investors to make payroll. Seeking a way out of this dire situation, Funcom took to SteamSpy to see what sort of games sold strongly enough to make the bank needed to keep the company afloat – and which it could afford to make. The plethora of dodgy survival games on Steam was the answer."

“These games sell a lot, but they’re not that high quality. We could definitely hit that bar,” Bylos said. And lo! Conan Exiles was born.

source: https://tinyurl.com/z7wth53

Survival Games is the new cash cow. Whether or not they're good is irrelevant. It's the new hotness.

48. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 02:58 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 18:45:
No this is wrong and its because you lack the proper psychological context of what gods and theism and "worship" actually meant in ancient times. Religion began as the distilled essence of national identity, (or more specifically tribal identity transplanted within "civilization") and therefore it was much more basic and taken for granted, than "life lessons" or "fables" or some modernist bullshit like that. It was politics, it was ethics, it was the law - it was how you are commanded to live so that you will die properly without wasting your life. It wasnt "just a good idea", it was the original form of "patriotism" and being part of something larger than life itself.

*** rest snipped for brevity ***

Interesting observation. Some of your wording is blunt and harsh but fascinating. Thanks for sharing. It helps me have insight into what others think.

47. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 02:35 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 22:14:
I did find an article on space.com with the headline of, "Entire Solar System Is Heating Up! Scientists Blame Solar Warming". In that article there is this statement,

"The warming of the entire solar system has been supported by some scientists. One dramatic shift that is taking place is the strength of the sun’s electromagnetic field. According to a study by Dr. Mike at Lockwood Rutherford Appleton National Laboratories, in California, the sun’s magnetic field has increased by 230 percent within the last 100 years. "

Which is somewhat interesting. I'd like to know how the electromagnetic field of the sun has been measured for the last 100 years. Is that based off the frequency of northern lights or what? However I think the key is "supported by some scientists", I read that as fairly weak support. Basically it sounds like Dr. Mike said, "Hmm, well maybe this is going on. We have some circumstantial evidence for it." And either no one is willing to slap it down yet, or the author didn't bother asking anyone else. *shrug*

And even if the electromagnetic field of the sun HAS increased 230 percent within the last 100 years. Without further information it is pretty meaningless. Maybe the field fluctuates by large amounts on a semi-regular basis. We already know the magnetic field of Earth has reversed multiple times throughout the geologic record.

From the beginning, the sun, more than any other star in the cosmos (and this is observable), serves a very particular purpose: Life on earth. I think we can all agree on that scientific conclusion.* The sun is an extreme example of the Goldilocks principle in Science. Basically, in the past, if the sun had deviated or varied in any way beyond the defined parameters, most life could not exist. This includes microbes, humans, plants, and insects. It's worth noting how many MILLIONS of creatures depend on specific aspects of the sun's ray. For example, people specifically need ultraviolet B rays to produce vitamin D. Plants, on the hand, use the sun's rays for photosynthesis. Except for deep-sea microbes, all life on earth would die off within a year if the sun vanished.

Basically, the sun is a very special star in the observable cosmos for good reason. That's as far as I'll take this.

*As an aside, this fascinating article delves into the sun's past purely from a scientific standpoint. It's worth noting scientists believe the sun started off at or near its present size based on earthly evidence. However, they continue to use experimental models to test different variables to come to more defined conclusions.

44. Re: On Sale Mar 7, 2017, 01:17 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:24:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 17:05:
So talking about Indian food I was in town today close to my fave Indian resto so I always make a point to stop by when I'm around because there food if so good - and I always eat vegetarian there. So I got - and brought home - some Daal, Chana Masala, curried pumpkin, sweet eggplant, and a lovely veggie biryani, as well as some roti and tamarind samosas. Mmmmm, so good! Man, I love Indian food!
On Friday I had vegetable korma and chickpea chana masala with garlic naan. Sooo good.

Have you ever had a Shawarma? I hear they're delicious. I'm not going to go by the Avenger's reaction. I'd rather get real people's feedback.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 19:24 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 17:30:
I'd argue that there is a spectrum of faith in all situations:

Inconsequential <----> Consequential

I'm willing to bet much of what you tout as reason is based on a various forms of inconsequential faith, but leans towards consequential faith when certain principles are involved. For instance, if you believe in (human influenced) climate change, you're probably leaning toward consequential faith because you're accepting the scientific data as being irrefutable based on authoritative knowledge, proclamations, studies, and how it will affect you personally, as opposed to say theories on evolution or how the universe began. The amount and intensity of said faith is precipitated by the immediacy of consequences, and ranges to long-term consequences, and whether or not said consequences are permanent or malleable

In closing, I will say this times 100. There's a tremendous difference between a Christian like me who spends time studying not only the book they believe in but other religious texts, and "Bible thumpers" who blindly listen to sermons in church or yell "God Hates Fags" on street corners to the anxiety of many. Anyhow, that's the end of that. No more. I would love for you all not to discuss politics on this site, but that's a personal decision you can make. Carry on.

Toff

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 19:11 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 18:57:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 18:49:
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the expression "pearls before swine." Jesus uses this expression as counsel in his Sermon on the Mount. Notably, he states, "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open." (Matthew 7:6) In the Bible pearls illustratively were associated with wisdom. Evidently, Jesus meant that, if a person shows that they have no appreciation for spiritual things one should not further endeavor to share religious thoughts and teachings with the person.

Very much duly noted! You guys can thank Jesus for his wise words and indirect principle to stop posting such things here. In other words, I am personally banning myself of such posts.
Deal Happy Lipsrsealed Cheerleading Woohoo Cheers

Yup. You can take that to the bank and cash the check. It's legit.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 18:49 Kxmode

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the expression "pearls before swine." Jesus uses this expression as counsel in his Sermon on the Mount. Notably, he states, "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open." (Matthew 7:6) In the Bible pearls illustratively were associated with wisdom. Evidently, Jesus meant that, if a person shows that they have no appreciation for spiritual things one should not further endeavor to share religious thoughts and teachings with the person.

Very much duly noted! You guys can thank Jesus for his wise words and indirect principle to stop posting such things here. In other words, I am personally banning myself of such posts.

12654 Comments. 633 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo