Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 15724 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > May 2019 Digital Game Sales
21. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 25, 2019, 03:36 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 05:17:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 01:43:
I have a feeling Borderlands 3 will make or break their chances. Not only how well it sells compared to 2, but also how much more casual players hate the client they're forced to use (if they hate it).

I don't think Borderlands 3 will really prove anything. It's a highly-anticipated sequel in a popular franchise. It's going to sell well regardless of where it's sold.

The real question is whether or not games that aren't exclusive to EGS can still sell well on EGS. If the answer is no, then EGS will not be sustainable.

You know the mathematical answer to that question. However, here are the raw numbers to provide proof.

"Epic Games said during a GDC presentation today that there are now 85 million registered users of the Epic Games Store on PC" Source

Companies tout "registered" users all the time as if they're supposed to mean something. Registered users are meaningless. Steam has one billion accounts. Who cares how many registered accounts a platform has? What matters is active monthly users.

"Steam now has 90 million monthly users" Source

In other words, Steam has more monthly active users than EGS has registered users (although, in full disclosure, given the dates of the articles, it could be less now).

The bottom line is if the same game appeared on Steam and EGS, there's no way Epic could ever compete based on sheer numbers. That's why Epic went exclusive because they can't compete with Steam as a platform. It's not unlike a kid picking a fight and then running behind their dad for protection. In this case, Epic picked a fight with Steam with all their bombastic talk and then hid behind their exclusives. Valve called out Epic on their nonsense via a post on the Steam Metro Exodus store page:

"We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know."

EGS was seen by most, myself included, as a legit competition for Steam that would create a flat landscape where one platform pushes the other to innovate and visa verse. But once Epic went exclusive, the hatred toward them reached a boiling point. I've read people's comments where they've made it clear they won't support Epic, and if they had a choice to buy on a publisher's platform (like UPlay for Division 2), they will buy there. People aren't factoring in all the negativity towards EGS as a cause for their downfall.

You have three main factors:
- Epic is burning through its Fortnite profits to astroturf brand loyalty. Astroturfing isn't organic, and people only stick with EGS for as long as the freebies exist, or because they're forced to buy a game from EGS.
- A considerable drop in revenue from 2018 coming from consoles (Fortnite's number one money maker), which is likely to drop once nextgen consoles arrive or before if the popularity wanes.
- A high degree of negativity surrounding exclusives.

All these conditions exist now, and they will lead to a negative sum game.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2019, 03:52.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Ubuntu Support Ending
27. Re: Steam Ubuntu Support Ending Jun 25, 2019, 01:36 Kxmode

Bishi wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 13:23:
Yeah but what kind of fool attempts to play games on Linux anyway

Right?

* CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu server are typically for servers
* Manjaro, Mint, ElementaryOS target daily users
* Fedora and OpenSUSE target programmers
* Rasphian is for embedded systems

It's not really a kernel for gaming. I'm surprised gaming support even exists on Linux.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 23, 2019, 01:56 Kxmode

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 01:43:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 20:31:
Osc8r wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 17:32:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:21:

They are absolutely in a race to get the Epic Store turned into a real competitor before their money bag runs out. Their client improvements seem to be coming too slow for how fast Fortnite might be fading, but they've got a ways to go yet.

I have a feeling Borderlands 3 will make or break their chances. Not only how well it sells compared to 2, but also how much more casual players hate the client they're forced to use (if they hate it).

The problem with their race is they're astroturfing loyalty by forcing people to buy from them instead of wanting to buy. This is all on Epic for blowing their money on exclusives instead of pushing hard to bring their store up to par with other platforms and then make it better than them. I want Steam to have good competition (still do) because it would force Valve to get off their laurels and do something. Competition is good. It drives innovation and so much more. But I don't like the kind of anti-consumer choice nonsense Epic is engaging in. All they do is incite contempt.

Time is not on Epic's side. In the end, they will lose and I won't shed a tear when their store implodes.

Something else worth noting. The footnote included this: "Console continues to contribute the largest share of players and revenue." In other words, the money isn't coming from PC but consoles. Consoles go through generations. What happens when current gen consoles get replaced by new ones? Is Fortnite still going to be as popular? Will gamers be turned off because the graphics look "old gen?"

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2019, 02:14.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2019, 01:48 Kxmode

SunnyD wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 21:36:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 16:59:
Speaking of virtual worlds, two entertaining movies to watch on Netflix if you're bored: The Matrix and John Carter.

Ooh, a John Carter reference! And here I thought I was the only one willing to keep neuronal pathways charged with knowledge that that movie existed. Save for the inclusion of those virtual world hopping aliens, I loved that modern attempt at E.R.B.'s vision. Seemed fairly spot on to all the pulp books I'd read back in the day.

~Finis~

You're not the only one. JC is one of my favorite films. I'm disappointed Disney decided not to create a sequel. The movie was originally planned to be a trilogy.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Driver Hotfix
2. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 22, 2019, 21:10 Kxmode

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 13:19:
I had that bug in GTA5 and thought the video card is about to die...
Hotfix my ass. I had it for about a month.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of a hotfix before spouting your ignorance.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2019, 21:06 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 16:59:
Speaking of virtual worlds, two entertaining movies to watch on Netflix if you're bored: The Matrix and John Carter.

or Ready Player One.

15. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 22, 2019, 21:02 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 20:52:
Total War Three Kingdoms totally deserves it, fucking GREAT game. Creative Assembly nailed it, great campaign mode and the battles are still fun as hell. Haven't had this much fun with a CA title since Rome 2.

How's the story? Is it engrossing? I'm not much for the Total War side of the game, but if the story is awesome I'll play.

News Comments > Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11
9. Re: Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11 Jun 22, 2019, 20:56 Kxmode

From a personal note, there's no way I would ever go back to 7. That OS, even the 64-bit flavor, is nowhere near as stable as 10. In the entire time I've used Win10 64-bit, I've had one BSOD, and NVIDIA drivers caused that during its installation (it hasn't happened since).  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: In memory of Digital Anvil Jun 22, 2019, 20:40 Kxmode

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 03:52:
After what MS did to Digital Anvil. No way in hell would I trust them.

Have you seen Flight Simulator 2019? The Last Flight Sim Microsoft released was in 2006 for Steam. FS 2019 is coming to Windows 10 (as an incentive to get people to upgrade to it). Microsoft's support of Windows as a gaming platform ebbs and flows. Right now they appear supportive, so you can trust them in that regard for at least the next year or two. When their new Xbox console comes out, we'll see where we're their loyalties rest.

FS 2019 is in my top list of games to play. It looks breathtaking, and the idea that you can fly the ENTIRE world is just fantastic for exploration nuts like myself.

13. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 22, 2019, 20:31 Kxmode

Osc8r wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 17:32:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:21:
The only actual Epic Game Store exclusive is Fortnite on PC.

"Fortnite gets a boost from Season 9 but is still far off from its peak. Fortnite made $203 million across console, PC and mobile, up significantly from April but down 38% from May 2018. Console continues to contribute the largest share of players and revenue."

So that fad is coming to an inevitable end and with it Epic's ability to lock down exclusives. They should be focusing all the Fortnite cash on making their platform as good as if not better than Steam.

Almost 2 years of been the most profitable/popular game on the planet? That's some 'fad' :P

Perhaps you missed the part where it read "but down 38% from May 2018." A 38% drop isn't trivial. If Epic were a publicly traded company, a 38% drop from a previous year would cause investors to sell off shares, especially considering Fortnite is Epic's golden cash cow and primary source of profitable income.

4. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 22, 2019, 15:21 Kxmode

The only actual Epic Game Store exclusive is Fortnite on PC.

"Fortnite gets a boost from Season 9 but is still far off from its peak. Fortnite made $203 million across console, PC and mobile, up significantly from April but down 38% from May 2018. Console continues to contribute the largest share of players and revenue."

So that fad is coming to an inevitable end and with it Epic's ability to lock down exclusives. They should be focusing all the Fortnite cash on making their platform as good as if not better than Steam.

News Comments > Rebel Galaxy Free on Epic Games Store
12. Re: Rebel Galaxy Free on Epic Games Store Jun 21, 2019, 23:13 Kxmode

At some point the party is going to stop, and Steam will still be the far superior platform. But more power to you if you're liking the Epic store.  

32. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 23:07 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 23:05:
Nah it's pretty clear what you said.
You don't get to interpret it for us and tell us it didn't mean what it said.
BTW, you're using "no harm no foul" incorrectly.
It's meant for the receiving party to excuse the sending party. You don't excuse yourself from an offense you've caused.

If you want to call a color red, that is clearly orange, that's you.

31. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 23:05 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 22:30:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 21:05:
Wait, wait, wait. So the assertion is that I, as an atheist, lack morals and character, or have lesser amounts thereof, because I do not believe in an unproven invisible sky wizard?

Let me disprove that in a single sentence:

I don't proclaim to be a Christian while rabidly supporting a wannabe tyrant president, concentration camps, kids in cages, and cutting benefits to the poorest and sickest among us.

Before someone says "B...b...but those aren't REAL Christians!" Shove it. You claim the title, you get to own and deal with all the bullshit attached to it.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

That did feel rather Spanish Inquisition-y. I was half expecting a "CONFESS!"

29. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 23:02 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 22:39:
Your comment for context.
Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 19:06:
You lean atheist so there may not be as strong a moral reason to return the money or report it.
Zero degrees of separation.

A person tells another something. That person then tells it to another but in a different way. And so on, and so it goes so that by the time it gets to the sixth person, it has mutated into something "complicated." Burrito of Peace and Jivaro's comments are the epitome of a very well-meaning observation getting lost in translation.

So let's stop this "six degrees of separation" nonsense. My follow-up comment at #20 very clearly defines intent. If someone wants to continue to harp on some imaginary "hatred" I have, that's on them. But it has no bearing on the actual point I made, and then clarified.

I like you guys, but sometimes you get bent out of shape over meaningless observations. <3

28. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 22:45 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 22:37:
I did just now, I was already typing I guess. Good for you to apologize so....convincingly.

I'm not apologizing for the points I'm sharing. I am only apologizing for any misguided feelings that may have developed from not understanding the post. So I hope my follow-up comment resolves what the reader may have construed as being offensive. That is all. No harm or foul.

23. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 22:35 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 22:30:
Kx...that is the most fucked up thing I have ever seen you write and if you are half as fucking moral as you claim to be than you should apologize.

All uppity when people make generalizations about your religeon and the people that follow it but boy..you have a few of your own to dish out don't ya?

Man did I misjudge you. Less morals as an atheist my ass.

Read my follow-up comment and let's stop this six degrees of separation nonsense.

20. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 22:29 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 21:05:
Wait, wait, wait. So the assertion is that I, as an atheist, lack morals and character, or have lesser amounts thereof, because I do not believe in an unproven invisible sky wizard?

Let me disprove that in a single sentence:

I don't proclaim to be a Christian while rabidly supporting a wannabe tyrant president, concentration camps, kids in cages, and cutting benefits to the poorest and sickest among us.

Before someone says "B...b...but those aren't REAL Christians!" Shove it. You claim the title, you get to own and deal with all the bullshit attached to it.

Let's back up, shall we?

Firstly, about Redeye's comment, I wrote, "You lean atheist so there may not be as strong a moral reason to return the money or report it." That sentence doesn't mean a lack of morals and character, and it is not about every atheist. It's only an observation about Redeye based on what he would do in the particular situation cited.

The quoted part above is another way of saying an environment forms a person's conscience. Conversely, religious people tend to have a more significant moral reason to do something. Like for example, they do not want to displease an "invisible sky wizard" who is watching. If you eliminate that motive (and let's be clear here, for people of faith displeasing their god is a huge reason to do or not do something), then in the absence of faith, other factors have to shape morality. It kind of like when someone losses a sense the other senses are enhanced.

So for some, their morality may be informed by education or the law. For another, virtue may be established by media and entertainment (e.g., the good guy versus evil guy motif). Or for others contemplating others who protest social injustices may foster their moral compass. And the list goes on and on. It's different for each person.

I express that point in my original post. "I think there is a vast composite of regional nuances that affect a person's decision to do the right thing, but broadly speaking I believe wealth, the population, the culture, and lastly religion provides a general foundation." I put "lastly religion" there for all the reasons I make in this post. The bottom line is if the environment did not develop a semblance of morality, we would have chaos and anarchy.

I do apologize if you felt offended by my comment. Hopefully, this follow-up nullifies any ambiguities by my previous comment.

18. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 22:02 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 19:32:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 19:22:
Ah yes, the immoral atheist meme
bless you Sepharo.

We are all atheists with respect to other religions, and we atheists just take it one step further.
I just believe in one fewer god than you do. Grin

Your comment for context.

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:46:
Here's my take. </=$400 gets returned, >/=$40,000 finders keepers.
In-between is if I think someone's watching.
My sister is an administrative assistant for a police department.
A person turned in a paper bag they found along the railroad tracks that had $28k. I would have ate a steak and invested in gamestop if that'd been me.

Most people with a religious background tend to rely on a moral compass that is guided by conscience, and depending on the situation would do the right thing. However, your comment above shows the opposite outcome. A binary condition drives your conscience, which is likely the result of where you live, who you socialize with, and how much wealth you have.

Just an observation.

10. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 19:06 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:21:
All good points. I look forward to reading more in-depth studies on people's motivations in this regard.
Here's my take. </=$400 gets returned, >/=$40,000 finders keepers.
In-between is if I think someone's watching.
My sister is an administrative assistant for a police department.
A person turned in a paper bag they found along the railroad tracks that had $28k. I would have ate a steak and invested in gamestop if that'd been me.

And I'm sure your current wealth, and the population and culture you live in drives your decision. You lean atheist so there may not be as strong a moral reason to return the money or report it. (e.g. "the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many")

15724 Comments. 787 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo