Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 14158 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 14:07 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 13:25:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 13:19:
No! It's never too early to do research.

I mean, half of those products may be impossible to find within 12 months. Especially the mobo.

My experience with hardware is prices fall until the item becomes obsolete. I anticipate falling prices and my savings to criss-cross at some point. Then I'll be ready to buy. I just getting the build ready now for later.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Esports and the Olympics
3. Re: More on Esports and the Olympics Jun 27, 2018, 13:50 Kxmode

The Olympic Committee could create a new major international sporting event specifically for mind games and include the following.

- Backgammon
- Chess
- Checkers
- Chinese checkers
- ESports: FPS (via Overwatch)
- ESports: MOBA (via LOL)
- ESports: PVP (via WOW)
- ESports: RTS (via StarCraft 2)
- Focus
- Hex on a Go board
- Poker: 5-Card Draw
- Mahjong
- Reversi
- Sudoku
- Tic-Tac-Toe: Ultimate
- Mastermind
- Yahtzee

I think this would be popular. I know I'd watch.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2018, 14:04.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 13:19 Kxmode

No! It's never too early to do research.  

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 17
7. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 13:16 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:54:
Anyone play this since the graphical update? How does it look?

Yes. Within the last 4-5 years. It's nothing like WOW's graphical overhaul, but it does look much better.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 12:38 Kxmode

Revised system build.

New: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - Rated the top mobo by several sites
New: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - Rated the top SSD by several places
Keeping: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor - I don't plan on overclocking

I looked at several benchmarks for the 1080ti, and by all accounts they are impressive. Even more impressive is the 1080ti performs on-par or better in specific tests against the double-priced Titan X. The build above will give me at least 60 FPS with maxed settings in 4K. I am anticipating prices to drop over the next 12 months. My hope is the Volta-series 2080ti releasing some time this year will result in the 1080ti falling into the $400-$500 range, and push the build back on-par with my budget expectation of ~$1,500. I welcome your feedback and thoughts.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 12:27 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 11:59:
Germany fails to advance out of the group stage in the World Cup. Wow. Finishing last in the group no less.

Wow! That's bad. To think in 2014, they destroyed the competition and went on to win the cup.

News Comments > More on Esports and the Olympics
1. Re: More on Esports and the Olympics Jun 27, 2018, 12:17 Kxmode

Esports doesn't belong in the Olympics for the same reason Chess doesn't belong. The Olympics is all about games of physical skill. While Chess and Esports have a competitive element, they are about strategy and out-thinking your opponent. But it's not Olympic material.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 22:00 Kxmode

Hoop wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 20:41:
How many soccer moms will demand the reconfigurable wheel-track Humvee to drop the kids off at school?

Soccer moms drive Humvees? Go big while driving home!

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Players paying up to $450 for disc-based copies of Fortnite… Jun 26, 2018, 20:15 Kxmode

Reminds me of Beanie Babies  

News Comments > The Crew 2 Gold Released
1. Re: The Crew 2 Gold Released Jun 26, 2018, 19:37 Kxmode

I think all games should be released on Friday. Perfect timing with the weekend.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 19:12 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 18:59:
If you're going to spend 800$ on a card right now, why not wait the extra 2 months and sort of "Future proof" your system for another 2 years more with 200$.

That's sounds good. I'm not buying right now. I'm saving $50 per check. When it reaches $1,500, then I'll get serious about shopping. Right now, I'm just doing homework.

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 18:59:
What I forgot to mention is I have 10K squared away for an 80" 4K display (if i can get it) and a new system to run the games and I'm just sitting and waiting for that next tech leap to do so.

Oh my goodness! Go big or go home. Or, Go big at home!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 14:49 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 14:26:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 13:30:
I believe this build will run 60FPS at 4K with most settings set to high or maxed. Can anyone confirm?

Ignore the missing components like the power supply. I plan on cannibalizing those from my current machine.

It's better to talk on tomshardware about this stuff. That's a high end build but I would wait a few months because the next generation of Geforce is supposed to be coming. the 1180 basically. I'm currently running an i7-4700k, noctua DH-14 fan, 16 GIGs of old slow DDR3, a first or second generation intel 480 gig SSD (it works great) and a GeForce 980Ti and I'm running pretty muche everything on ultra at 1080p. I'm currently waiting for the next generation of geforce to do a build pretty much exactly like that (K processor instead of the base 8700). 4K 60 FPS is hard to get with most games even with a 1080 Ti.. which is why you should wait a little and go for the next generation. Current benchmarks are showing usual FPS on ultra for those games at 4K around 40fps.

My understanding is the 1080 ti was specifically designed for 4K quality beyond 60 FPS. If someone doesn't have a 4K display then the 1080 ti is a waste of money.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 13:30 Kxmode

I believe this build will run 60FPS at 4K with most settings set to high or maxed. Can anyone confirm?

Ignore the missing components like the power supply. I plan on cannibalizing those from my current machine.

14. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 13:08 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 07:30:
I want to say it was more than number of cells we have, but that feels like it can't be right...

One of the scientists said, "We're 90% microbes. 10% human." I found that humorous and humbling.

P.S. Tardigrades are awesome!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2018, 03:45 Kxmode

Curiosity Stream has a fascinating 2-part documentary about the microscopic creatures who live on us and inside us. It definitely gave me the heebie-jeebies. But as the scientist said, "if we got rid of all microbes, we would die." Makes you keenly aware of how amazing humans are and the fragile eco-system we provide to the small beasties roaming around us.  

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jun 25, 2018, 20:01 Kxmode

Physical or digital is irrelevant. You are not buying the "product." You're buying the license to use the product. The license still falls under basic consumer protections. You do know this, right?  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: A Valve epiphany Jun 25, 2018, 17:55 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 17:49:
2%, you're joking right. No one would do this for anything less than 60%, split 50/50 between devs and valve.

It happens now with Steam's Marketplace. If I post something there for $0.25, there's a $0.28 premium to the buyer. If my math is correct Valves makes 11% from the transaction. The 5% is to cover credit card fees while providing Valve and the publishers with a decent return.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: A Valve epiphany Jun 25, 2018, 17:35 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 17:06:
Of course, I have no idea how you can sell any of these copies.

Create a tool to let Steam users place the product for sale or trade on Steam. On a completed trade or sale, the product is removed from my library and activated in another account; and visa versa for a trade. Valve could create a platform for making this process seamless and easy.

For sells: Valve and the publisher get 5% of total price, each. (e.g. sell a game for $20. Valve and publisher get $2.00)
For trades: Valve and the publisher get a flat 50 cents each. (e.g. Both myself and the other person pay Valve and publisher $1.00 to trade a game. So that's $2 total.)
Both amounts are collected at the time of transaction. In other words, no charge to place a game up for sell or trade.

This way both Valve and the publisher still make money from third-party sells and trades under the guise of relicensing the product to another account.

Valve could blaze a trail by introducing this. They and the publishers would still make a ton of money from third-market transactions because the transaction fees would bypass any discounts.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2018, 17:50.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: A Valve epiphany Jun 25, 2018, 16:52 Kxmode

While I appreciate the reply, my post isn't speaking about "my only choice is digital distribution platforms like Steam." The main point is about the lack of fundamental consumer rights with digitally distributed video games.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: The Church of VR Jun 25, 2018, 16:08 Kxmode

I hope so. I'd love to own a VR device one day. I just don't want to spend $2K-3K today.  

14158 Comments. 708 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo