Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 15724 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
151. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 13:53 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 04:12:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 19:07:
I prefer to go to Kroger over Walmart personally.
And if something I was expecting to buy at Kroger recently became exclusive to Walmart, I'd be kind of upset about that.
Seems like a normal reaction.

The vast majority of EGS exclusives were never on Steam to begin with.

Isn't that what exclusive on EGS means?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

150. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 13:52 Kxmode

150! Thanks, Tim Sweeney! Dance  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

149. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 13:48 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:50:
Potato Head Jesus

Cannot unsee.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2019, 13:41 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 11:55:
737, the gift that keeps on giving.

Don't you mean the gift that keeps on taking? lives

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2019, 13:40 Kxmode

MIDWAY looks like a Pearl Harbor reboot  

102. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:53 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:45:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:29:
Beamer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 21:43:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 21:09:
Beamer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:19:

What part of Fortnite is greedy? I've only played it a bit, but it never asked me for money, unless I wanted a dance or something, but why would I want a dance or something?

Regardless, do you think he's making the decisions on Fortnite?

Oh please. Stop automatically implying I meant greed. The meaning behind the question is simple. Before Fortnite, Epic made X-amount annually. After, they made significantly more. The EGS empire is birthed off the Fortnite profits. To imply that Tim isn't driven by money is foolish. He's a CEO. He has ONE job. Drive growth and profit for his company.

I think it is cool that Tim is huge into conservation. "Sweeney has bought large tracts of land in different parks, largely in North Carolina; such as Mount Mitchell State Park, and Box Creek Wilderness and other large tracts of land to connect national parks and stop development into commercial areas. He has also donated millions on conservation projects in North Carolina and has made statements about his intent to turn a majority of the land into permanent nature conservation. He has also detailed his future plan is to protect a large amount of rare plant and wildlife species in the area, and to connect South Mountains State Park to Chimney Rock, by purchasing land and donating conservation easements to the US Fish and Wildlife Service." Source

That's noble. I wish he was more noble with EGS.

You realize that Epic is privately held, right? Privately held CEOs do not have the same fiduciary duty.

That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard someone post online. The rest of your points are rendered invalid but that statement.

100. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:49 Kxmode

100! Thanks, Tim Sweeney!  

94. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:42 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:10:
What part of Fortnite is greedy?
Obviously it's the part where they give money to devs and publishers so that they can grow the store.
That's greedy shady good business sense.

Even a blind dog get's a squirrel every once in a while --- Derek Smart
They're using their financial war chest to get exclusives in order to seed their store.

You don't launch a competing airline by buying all the fuel and forcing people to fly on your airliner that doesn't have basic amenities like bathrooms.

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:10:
The full version here.
There is absolutely NOTHING unique about the Steam v EGS fiasco because that's how competition works. And no matter how many times Tim Sweeney has to go on the record outlining *precisely* what their goal is, very few give a sh*t because of tribalism.

Yeah, because that's what this is all about: "tribalism." What a bunch of overgeneralized BS.

Derek has a history of exhibiting obnoxious behavior towards his customers on Steam's community-based ecosystem. He routinely deletes reviews to silence negativity and prop up the score. Of the few, I read, most offered legitimate criticisms of the game in question.

For Derek, putting his game on a platform that doesn't have a community component is just fine.

91. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:29 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 21:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:09:

If you talk to anyone that's met Tim, he's not at all driven by money. He never was.

Was that before or after Fortnite?

What part of Fortnite is greedy? I've only played it a bit, but it never asked me for money, unless I wanted a dance or something, but why would I want a dance or something?

Regardless, do you think he's making the decisions on Fortnite?

Oh please. Stop automatically implying I meant greed. The meaning behind the question is simple. Before Fortnite, Epic made X-amount annually. After, they made significantly more. The EGS empire is birthed off the Fortnite profits. To imply that Tim isn't driven by money is foolish. He's a CEO. He has ONE job. Drive growth and profit for his company.

I think it is cool that Tim is huge into conservation. "Sweeney has bought large tracts of land in different parks, largely in North Carolina; such as Mount Mitchell State Park, and Box Creek Wilderness and other large tracts of land to connect national parks and stop development into commercial areas. He has also donated millions on conservation projects in North Carolina and has made statements about his intent to turn a majority of the land into permanent nature conservation. He has also detailed his future plan is to protect a large amount of rare plant and wildlife species in the area, and to connect South Mountains State Park to Chimney Rock, by purchasing land and donating conservation easements to the US Fish and Wildlife Service." Source

That's noble. I wish he was more noble with EGS.

86. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:17 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 21:33:
Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 20:17:
No other community cares about what store they buy a product from more than the product itself. The discussion on the games is practically nil. The threads that blow up are faffing competition between which faceless multinational billion-dollar DRM software they want to click "buy" from.

Yes, community is the key word here. I don't know how many people care more about it than the games themselves, but plenty of people care a lot about the community they're a part of on Steam. It's not just a store like Epic is right now, it's forums and profiles and social feeds and reviews and guides and achievements and media sharing and workshop mods and streaming and fully-featured chat... Maybe you don't involve yourself with much of that, but there are millions who do and some have been at it for a decade or more. They want to buy their games there not because they're lazy or because they're corporate sheep or whatever other little insults people make. It's because the games on Steam are integrated into this huge ecosystem that people like living in, the closest thing PC has to Xbox Live or PlayStation Network.

So you're right in that it's not just about the games. But it's not just about the stores, either.

Yup. Setting aside the anti-consumer and artificial delays exclusivity brings, the store itself lacks a Community component. In other words, Blues News has better community features than EGS.

78. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 21:09 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:09:
I give Tim this, he's up to date.

Take care of the supply side business, we as a corporation can control the paying public, we now have that down.

Went from customer is always right, to here's all we offer you and it's the same as the other guy... you have no choice in the matter other than not partake at all.

If you talk to anyone that's met Tim, he's not at all driven by money. He never was.

Was that before or after Fortnite?

75. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 20:38 Kxmode

Nearly all have more features than Epic;

This line is a straight-up BS. There's no way big publisher platforms have more features than Steam. Without trying, I can count at least one they don't have, which is user reviews and ratings (I've not included GOG since it is not strictly speaking CDPR's platform. It was started to sell Good Old Games).

Is Tim that delusional?

none seem to have reached 5% of Steam's scale.

Because firstly they don't have the same numbers of registered and active monthly users as Steam. Second, most big publisher platforms have under 300 titles whereas Steam as around 30,000.

It's not gut feeling Tim. It's simple math. Steam is just BIGGER than they and BIGGER than you in every way possible.

This leads to the strategy of exclusives which, though unpopular with dedicated Steam gamers, do work, as established by the major publisher storefronts

Another delusional point. There's a considerable distinction between a publisher releasing THEIR products on THEIR storefront and third-party publishers effectively being bribed not to release on a competing platform. Steam has never engaged in bribery. Epic has and numerous times since the beginning of this year.

Is the solution proportionate to the problem it addresses, and are gamers likely benefit from the end goal if it's ultimately achieved?

Consumers aren't benefiting from Epic's exclusivity in several ways:

1. A least one long term preorder on Steam got yanked weeks before release to go EGS exclusive prompting Valve to call the move unfair to Steam customers.
2. Crowdfunded projects with Steam commitments pull a 180 and throw backers under the bus and to the point that a company won't give back the money so a person can buy the Steam copy at a later date.
3. Companies not in need of Epic's cash infusion yet have opted for EGS exclusivity have posted their AAA-titles for preorder at full price.
4. People forced to buy on an inferior platform and one that doesn't have a basic shopping cart. An e-commerce site without a working shopping cart isn't an online store.
5. Neither Epic nor the publishers manage consumer expectations thereby leaving them in a state to wonder or worry that a crowdfunded project they backed years ago nearing completion will get the EGS switch-a-roo even when the campaign promised or eluded to Steam access.
6. Exclusivity has so far brought nothing but anti-consumer choice and artificial delays.
7. Studios purchased by Epic have indicated their products will likely be removed from Steam

As I see it, consumers haven't benefited from EGS exclusivity yet.

If the Epic strategy either succeeds

If? Either? That is not where you should be gambling. If you want to gamble, do it with your platform's success based on its features and merits. Don't do it with consumer choice and artificial gates. Because here's the thing, when you deny people things they get angry and anger has a way of making enemies. The last thing EGS needs as a fledgling store is the ire of something like 90 million active Steam users and 1,000,000,000 registers accounts.

Will the resulting 18% increase in developer and publisher revenue benefit gamers? Such gains are generally split among (1) reinvestment, (2) profit, and (3) price reduction.

That last part is a total lie!

First, most of the games that went exclusive on EGS for preorder did not appear for less than what it would have costed on Steam. Case in point:

- Borderlands 3 - $60 preorder
- The Outer Worlds - $60 preorder
- Other Wilds - $25 preorder [crowdfunded indie title]
- Phoenix Point - $40 preorder [crowdfunded indie title]

Second, during EGS's $10 off everything promotion fiasco, publishers were either disabling the pre/purchase button or artificially raising the price by $10 to compensate clearly showing they have no desire to give consumers a benefit due to the higher revenue split and cash infusion.

As far as I'm concern "Price reduction" hasn't happened on EGS in the way Tim is alluding. So the line about a better 88/12 revenue split leading to better consumer pricing is a myth.

The rest of his post is meaningless BS.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2019, 13:44.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 26, 2019, 19:52 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 12:49:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 23:09:
I am looking to upgrade my CPU and mobo to a I9-9900 (Not OC) and ROG STRIX Z390-E. I think my current build is good, but I am noticing less than ideal performance on the CPU side for certain games as relates to 4K60 sustainability. I have no plans to OC. Thoughts?

At 4k/60 you're going to be GPU bound for the most part. If money is no object spend the most amount of money you can on the GPU. After that's done then yeah that CPU is going to be 100% fine, if not overkill. Zen 2 looks really good but Intel is still king for single threaded stuff for the time being.

I have a NVIDIA 2080 Ti 11GB.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 25, 2019, 23:09 Kxmode

I am looking to upgrade my CPU and mobo to a I9-9900 (Not OC) and ROG STRIX Z390-E. I think my current build is good, but I am noticing less than ideal performance on the CPU side for certain games as relates to 4K60 sustainability. I have no plans to OC. Thoughts?  

News Comments > May 2019 Digital Game Sales
27. Re: Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 25, 2019, 16:51 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 09:02:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 03:54:
"SUPERDATA. A NIELSEN COMPANY." If you don't know who they are well, you're in for a rude awakening.

Also, Nielsen is not infallible. I've worked with them extensively. Last in 2017, so I'm sure they've built up capabilities, but their estimates were generally 30% off from my actuality. It still made them useful, as I was using them for market sizing and competitive monitoring, and they were a data point for me, not gospel, but it always amazed me how much they were charging me for access to their data, then gave me estimates about my business that were so far off, making me realize how far off they must be for everyone else.

Well, since you worked with them and know their inner workings, I'll give that to you.

However, do realize that according to other industry analytical firms, Steam has a profitable trajectory. Statista has a report showing that in 2017, Valve made 4.3 billion. Forbes reports in 2018, Epic reportedly earned $3 billion. So even if you factor in some loss on Steam's side to EGS exclusives, numbers-wise Steam still made likely around a billion more than Epic. Steam has more concurrent and active monthly users than EGS. And, by far, Steam has more registered users than all the modern consoles combined include the Epic Games Store.

What I am saying is Epic is not going to meet or defeat Steam on numbers alone. Mathematically they can't. The ONLY way they will is if they go full-bore on hiring talent to the degree that allows them to get their store up to Steam's level within a year or two, and then push to make the store better than Steam. Epic has the funds so they can spare no expense. However, if they're focusing on exclusives, their store will ultimately fail.

Anyhow, that's my take of the situation. Thank you for your point of view.

26. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 25, 2019, 16:38 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 09:00:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 01:56:

1) They ARE pushing their store up to par. But until it is up to par, they're trying to ensure it has a user base

Because their store is not up to par, they shouldn't be engaging in anti-consumer tactics to be sustainable. In other words, they cannot succeed on merit alone. That's some underhanded BS. Anyone who supports Epic's anti-consumer exclusives is as shady as they are.

2) You can't waive a magic wand and make something up to par. Part of what is required is resources. Resources are hard. Getting good people isn't easy, despite what all the people not in hiring positions here keep saying. You want smart people, that fit your culture, know what they're doing, and hit the ground running. This isn't easy. And yes, Epic has quite a few, but they can't pull their best people off of Fortnite without accelerating the decline of Fortnite

I know their magic wand-waving requires resources. The thing is they have all the resources they need. In 2018, they made $3 BILLION in profit, and in 2017, they made over a billion, at least. Epic isn't strapped for cash. But their focus on purely on obtaining exclusives because their platform cannot compete against Valve's superior product today.

3) It also takes time. There's a finite limit. A coding problem doesn't necessarily move faster with 1000 coders than 100. It almost definitely doesn't move faster with 10,000 than 1,000, and especially 100,000 than 10,000. At some point, people need other people to finish things, and some pieces aren't modular enough to be built by multiple people. Some modules can't be started until others are finished

CD Projekt Red developed The Witcher 3 in about three years. Part of the reason they were able to do it was during the peak of production they had around 1,000 people working on the game. ONE THOUSAND PEOPLE all over the world so that the game could be in continuous development. CDPR has a minuscule fraction of Epic's profits, and yet they went full-bore on the talent required to get the product done. How many people do you suppose Epic has hired to work on their store? I guarantee it's not as much as CDPR's commitment to The Witcher 3.

What they're doing is a stop-gap. If they waited until the store was fully finished, they'd never get it out. If they didn't have exclusives, they wouldn't have customers.

If they were serious about bringing their store up to par, they would hire a deluge of talent. Instead, they burn through their funds on exclusives because exclusives are easier and sexier than updating the store.

I literally don't understand what you want them to do. What's your solution? One that makes sense in a business world.

See my last two points above. If CDPR could do that for The Witcher 3 with a fraction of the money, then there's no limits or restrictions for Epic. The only question to ask is what interests Epic more? A better storefront or anti-consumer exclusives. As I see it, they lean the later.

News Comments > Ubuntu 32-bit Reprieve
10. Re: Ubuntu 32-bit Reprieve Jun 25, 2019, 13:35 Kxmode

subx wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 13:23:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 13:19:
Porn-O-Matic wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 13:07:
FUCK LINUX.

I feel like we're missing a few steps.

Should at least buy Linux dinner first.

Kernels love chicken.

News Comments > Ubuntu 32-bit Reprieve
7. Re: Ubuntu 32-bit Reprieve Jun 25, 2019, 13:19 Kxmode

Porn-O-Matic wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 13:07:
FUCK LINUX.

I feel like we're missing a few steps.

23. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 25, 2019, 03:54 Kxmode

Osc8r wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 18:31:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 20:31:
Osc8r wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 17:32:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 15:21:
The only actual Epic Game Store exclusive is Fortnite on PC.

"Fortnite gets a boost from Season 9 but is still far off from its peak. Fortnite made $203 million across console, PC and mobile, up significantly from April but down 38% from May 2018. Console continues to contribute the largest share of players and revenue."

So that fad is coming to an inevitable end and with it Epic's ability to lock down exclusives. They should be focusing all the Fortnite cash on making their platform as good as if not better than Steam.

Almost 2 years of been the most profitable/popular game on the planet? That's some 'fad' :P

Perhaps you missed the part where it read "but down 38% from May 2018." A 38% drop isn't trivial. If Epic were a publicly traded company, a 38% drop from a previous year would cause investors to sell off shares, especially considering Fortnite is Epic's golden cash cow and primary source of profitable income.

I didn't, because even if it had a 100% drop tomorrow it wouldn't change the facts or the past eg:

"Fortnite earned record $2.4bn in 2018, the 'most annual revenue of any game in history."

But i guess you missed the part where the game is still topping the highest grossing game lists, and that they are still making over 200 million dollars a month from ONE GAME. One game that has broken pretty much all records and made the company a fkn mint - enough to single handedly fund all their other projects including their store.

Most AAA games are popular for a month or two at best... Fortnite has been killing it for 2 years straight now.

Any AAA dev would kill to have this 'fad' as you call it.

"SUPERDATA. A NIELSEN COMPANY." If you don't know who they are well, you're in for a rude awakening.

22. Re: May 2019 Digital Game Sales Jun 25, 2019, 03:43 Kxmode

[duplicate entry]  

15724 Comments. 787 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo