Total Posts
17655 (Ninja)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

17655 Comments. 883 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    883  ] Older

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store
Oct 1, 2020, 18:47
Kxmode

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 18:47
Oct 1, 2020, 18:47
 Kxmode

wtf_man wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 16:50:
Satoru wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 16:17:
Its gonna be fun when GOG Galaxy becomes mandatory for GOG titles. They've already cut off the GOG Downloader which was already making half the people on GOG lose their minds. I can easily see them dumping the direct web downloads and just going pure GOG Galaxy and insisting "well you can download the installer files via our client so you know its fine". If you think that's not gonna happen, you're deluding yourself.

If they force a launcher to obtain the purchases... I will stop using their store, plain and simple.

Where will you buy PC games?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Reviews
Oct 1, 2020, 15:06
Kxmode

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Reviews Oct 1, 2020, 15:06
Oct 1, 2020, 15:06
 Kxmode

Nullity wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 14:55:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:37:
Bumpy wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:31:
Short SP campaign.
It's an EA game. It's surprising that there's a SP campaign at all, and would be silly to expect it to be anything but super short.

It's not silly to expect a Star Wars game with a long SP campaign from EA.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Reviews
Oct 1, 2020, 13:37
Kxmode

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Reviews Oct 1, 2020, 13:37
Oct 1, 2020, 13:37
 Kxmode

Bumpy wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:31:
Short SP campaign.

............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store
Oct 1, 2020, 13:33
Kxmode

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:33
Oct 1, 2020, 13:33
 Kxmode

While I laud CDPR's efforts, I remain unconvinced Galaxy is a stable product. Whenever I periodically launch the app, my games from other services keep disappearing even though I've synchronized with those services (GOG games are the only games that consistently appear in Galaxy without problems). It then turns into an hour-long ordeal of relinking the services and then figuring out why games I own on those services do not appear. Out of frustration, I stop using Galaxy. This pattern repeats itself every time I launch Galaxy. I am not prepared to have to deal with this headache at a purchasing level. For all I know, my money could get lost in the ether between Galaxy and the store. In the case of Steam, issuing a Paypal chargeback typically results in Valve banning an account from making additional purchases.

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies Unveiled
Oct 1, 2020, 01:25
Kxmode

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies Unveiled Oct 1, 2020, 01:25
Oct 1, 2020, 01:25
 Kxmode

Why stop there? You might as well commit to the name:

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies Battle Royale EX Plus Alpha: Special Turbo DX Edition

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Crunch Follow-up
Sep 30, 2020, 12:53
Kxmode

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Crunch Follow-up Sep 30, 2020, 12:53
Sep 30, 2020, 12:53
 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 11:58:
2019 - Crunch Can Never Be The Answer!
2020 - Crunch Is The Answer!
Captain Crunch is the answer. Mmmmm....

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court
Sep 30, 2020, 12:48
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 30, 2020, 12:48
Sep 30, 2020, 12:48
 Kxmode

Jackplug wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 05:58:
who gives a shit, Fortnite is dying bigtime.

Well, now they're dying after Google and Apple removed Fortnite from their app stores. 99.99% mobile loss in 48 hours. Any remaining players will tire of being left behind on updates and likely to start playing other games by the time the case comes before the judge in July. Once mobile player addiction breaks, drawing those players back, especially with next-gen consoles on the horizon, will be nigh impossible. Epic lost more than gained. Fine by me. I just want Epic to lose the financial ability to secure third-party PC gaming exclusives.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch
Sep 30, 2020, 12:43
Kxmode

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 12:43
Sep 30, 2020, 12:43
 Kxmode

mxmissile wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 12:07:
Woke SJW rage incoming.

A little late to the party...

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch
Sep 29, 2020, 21:13
Kxmode

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 29, 2020, 21:13
Sep 29, 2020, 21:13
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 21:06:
Bill Borre wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 21:04:
we’ve extended all other possible means of navigating the situation

Why not just push back the launch date and blame it on covid like everyone else is doing?
They could but work always expands to the time allotted for it.

Almost everyone will understand COVID-19 impacted the project's scope and scale with CDPR's signature quality. It really needs a full year more. I think the best option is to push out to their original April 16th date... 2021.

Sep 29, 2020, 14:22
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 29, 2020, 14:22
Sep 29, 2020, 14:22
 Kxmode

Hoeg Law review

Sep 29, 2020, 13:08
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 29, 2020, 13:08
Sep 29, 2020, 13:08
 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 05:10:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 02:49:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 02:16:
To all of you who have a horse to back in this race, what gives? Why do you give a shit? To me they both deserve what they get, if this dredges up a whole lot of unwholesome corporate shit to the surface, even better. If it doesn't, why support either?

I don't care about either company, nor do I care about mobile gaming. However, as a PC gamer, I love this case for the financial harm it will bring Epic, and I hope Apple harms them enough to take away Epic's ability to do third-party EGS exclusives. On the day Epic announced EGS, I was hopeful for merit-based competition against Steam and figured if any company could do it, Epic would. However, going into January 2019 (via the Metro Exodus debacle), it became clear Epic wasn't going for merit-based competition and became toxic to us. So I am all for Apple hurting Epic to stop them from taking away our choices.

To clarify, I don't want Apple to put Epic out of business, I want Apple to take away their ability to do exclusives.

Why are EGS exclusives such an eyesore for you? Can you rationally explain this?

EGS exclusivity takes away choice. It forces me to purchase a game on an objectively inferior platform or wait six months to a year (or possibly never) until it appears on my chosen platform.

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 29, 2020, 12:59
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2020, 12:59
Sep 29, 2020, 12:59
 Kxmode

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 11:53:
Curiosity got the best of me and had to look up the origin of "Great Scott". Seems it is attributed to general Winfield Scott who was a mountain of a man for his time.

That's heavy.

Sep 29, 2020, 02:49
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 29, 2020, 02:49
Sep 29, 2020, 02:49
 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 02:16:
To all of you who have a horse to back in this race, what gives? Why do you give a shit? To me they both deserve what they get, if this dredges up a whole lot of unwholesome corporate shit to the surface, even better. If it doesn't, why support either?

I don't care about either company, nor do I care about mobile gaming. However, as a PC gamer, I love this case for the financial harm it will bring Epic, and I hope Apple harms them enough to take away Epic's ability to do third-party EGS exclusives. On the day Epic announced EGS, I was hopeful for merit-based competition against Steam and figured if any company could do it, Epic would. However, going into January 2019 (via the Metro Exodus debacle), it became clear Epic wasn't going for merit-based competition and became toxic to us. So I am all for Apple hurting Epic to stop them from taking away our choices.

To clarify, I don't want Apple to put Epic out of business, I want Apple to take away their ability to do exclusives.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2020, 03:20.

Sep 29, 2020, 00:51
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 29, 2020, 00:51
Sep 29, 2020, 00:51
 Kxmode

Apple vs Epic Court Hearing Live on Youtube. Video will be deleted in less than 48 hours.

Sep 28, 2020, 23:55
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 28, 2020, 23:55
Sep 28, 2020, 23:55
 Kxmode

Apple argued that iOS is just one of many platforms in the wider competitive market for video games like Fortnite. There, Apple faces competition from console makers, PC-based stores like Steam and GOG, and Google's Android platform to name just a few. In this market, Rogers herself noted that most of the competing platforms charge the same 30 percent fee to developers as Apple, suggesting iOS lacks any harmful market-controlling power.

Epic's lawyer Gary Bornstein argued in response that the market in question should not simply be viewed as "all the ways someone can reach a user to play a video game." Where Apple holds the monopoly, he said, is in the market for developers to distribute their game to iOS users, specifically.

"In order for Apple to face competitive discipline [from the market], it would mean there would need to be a meaningful number of developers who would give up the platform if Apple raises its price," Bornstein argued. "We know that's not the case. They're not going to give up the opportunity to reach a billion users."

source

When Epic sold their games on other platforms, those platforms' owners took a 30% cut. Epic wasn't angry with them then. What change? Fortnite. That game gave Epic real power they never had before. They then realized they have to share their empire with platforms that provide an entire ecosystem of customers and services. For that, they charge a premium.

When Tim Sweeney got sick and tired of Steam's positions, he went off and created a "competing" platform (I use that loosely as EGS remains a minimum viable product). The difference here is that it costs significantly more to develop a phone and the OS and then find an audience to sign up for services and use the phone. Amazon tried and failed to do it with its Fire Phone.

Tim knows it is easier to launch a competing platform to Valve than a phone. But like his EGS experience, he's not willing to put in the time and effort to make a genuinely good product. So he goes the route of suing to get his way. His tactic isn't going to work because what Apple built isn't a monopoly. It's a no less different platform from the platforms created by Nintendo, Valve, Sony, Microsoft, and even Epic's own Games Store.

I love this next bit!

In the hearing, Bornstein noted that "63 percent of iOS users who play Fortnite play only on iOS." Those players aren't technically "locked in" to iOS—they could switch to another platform, and many do. But they also don't necessarily have multiple devices to play on and might not be able to afford separate hardware to access Fortnite, he said.

Even if iOS player do have access to other hardware, Bornstein said the situations are not always analogous. "That's like saying there is not a [monopoly] market for ride-sharing and taxis if people can also walk or bike or get a friend to drive them or access public transit," he said. "You can't play an Xbox when you're on a bus." (Though you can play a Switch, as Judge Rogers noted in response).

Apple lawyer Richard Doren said the number of iOS Fortnite players who don't use other platforms is immaterial. Instead, he cited Epic co-founder and CEO Tim Sweeney's assertion that less than 10 percent of Fortnite's daily average users played on iOS. That shows "Epic itself uses the [alternative] options in the marketplace available to it," he said, and that Apple can't exert monopoly control over Epic's Fortnite business.

"Fortnite is not entitled access to everyone on the globe," Doren said. "They just need alternatives [to iOS] available, and they have that in spades."

In her statements, Judge Rogers seemed more inclined to Apple's view of its position in the wider video game market. "If we look at this plaintiff and industry, walled gardens have existed for decades," she noted. "Nintendo has had a walled garden. Sony has had a walled garden. Microsoft has had a walled garden... In this particular industry, what Apple is doing is not much different... It's hard to ignore the economics of the industry, which is what [Epic is] asking me to do."

Exactly! Walled Gardens are platforms, and platforms cannot be monopolies when there are choices. Finally a judge with common sense.

That was all something of preamble to the core point of the hearing, which was whether Rogers would extend or amend her current temporary restraining orders in the case into an injunction that will last at least through the rest of the trial. Epic says it needs emergency relief from the harm the Apple monopoly is currently causing its Fortnite business by barring it from the App Store. Apple says Epic can undo that harm right now just by coming back into compliance with its original contract regarding in-app purchases

Rogers' strongest words of the hearing were reserved for Epic, which she continued to admonish for bringing its current problems on itself. "You were not forthright," she told Epic's counsel. "You were told you couldn't do [your own in-app purchasing option] and you did... You can try all you want, but you're not going to convince anybody that you tried to have Apple approve of it. It's self-harm.

Straight up this! It is like a thief breaking into someone's house, only to sue them because the item they were carrying out a back window fell and broke their foot.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2020, 00:20.

Sep 28, 2020, 23:25
Kxmode

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 28, 2020, 23:25
Sep 28, 2020, 23:25
 Kxmode

“I know I'm just a stepping stone for all of you,” District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said during a virtual hearing from Oakland, California.

Wow. Talking about judging the situation correctly.

Re: FarmVille to Buy the Farm
Sep 28, 2020, 17:30
Kxmode

Re: FarmVille to Buy the Farm Sep 28, 2020, 17:30
Sep 28, 2020, 17:30
 Kxmode

A deathknell for Facebook

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 27, 2020, 19:33
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2020, 19:33
Sep 27, 2020, 19:33
 Kxmode

If you let AI write a story, it inevitably writes a horror one!

----

The spaceship was flying erratically. Something was wrong, but what? Suddenly, the wind and solar energies carried by the fleet seemed to be pulling the ship apart. Camelot, along with the rest of the fleet, was now torn into dozens of pieces. Outside, the army stormed in, destroying everything in their path, before approaching the fleet's smoking remains. After clearing away the wreckage, Camelot found itself standing once again in its previously empty compound.

The next morning, the military had gathered together to discover what had occurred to Bobbie. His body had been brought in and reburied in full uniform, with top military honors. Her parents had told her that they'd chosen to have a military funeral.

Doug did not attend. He'd sent Bobbie's parents letters and photos. Throwing himself into work had seemed the better way to go. He supposed it was because he thought, 'I don't have to face this. I don't have to grieve. I'm busy.' Until now, he'd managed to stay busy.

The compound was dark, save for a row of windowless white cells. Through the bars were thirty or forty young men crammed together; unknown survivors of the Camelot. Some of them were cold, while the worse off lay in their bunks asleep. Some had wounds on their legs and others their shoulders, and all looked pitiful.

The door at the end of the cellblock opened, and out came a guard. His coat, gun, and brass buttons were light blue. The Guard stopped for a moment to take off his hat to shake off the rain. He glanced at a nearby mirror and pointed confidently towards himself. He had a thick mustache and short blonde hair.

"You need a new hat," another said as he watched the Guard from behind the glass. She stood and walked to the floor-to-ceiling shelves lining the wall of her front office. She checked out the variety of hats, trying to see which one would suit the Guard. They were all made of human flesh, each with a smile. Each with one eye where the outside glistered in the light, but inside nothing but dark malevolence.

"And," the Guard said, "I don't see any traps on that one."

The compound began to shake. A hot wind howled, the rains started blowing fiercely in great swirls. Those locked in the cellblocks peered down, noticing the Guard drawing a weapon and a fear began to swell. The nearest cellblock residents began to see green people appearing, levitating and spinning in tiny circles as the Guard got closer to the cellblock.

The cellblock residents began to see people glowing with joy, laughing, and shouting happily. They were holding small silver flowers that appeared everywhere like a meadow of bliss. One cellblock resident noticed the flowers looked both familiar and not at all familiar. Even the way they people sounded as if each spoken in the hearer's native voice. The visions became louder as if piercing the veil of reality.

"Yes, dance in the facade we've created for you. Not that it matters. If the king found out about people like you." The Guard whispered.

They remained silent, locked in vision.

"Your defeat gave you to us."

Continued silence, the Guard's eyes flashing.

"It is the only way to get close enough to you to end you."

He raised his weapon.

"I need a new hat."

Re: Command & Conquer Turns 25
Sep 27, 2020, 18:06
Kxmode

Re: Command & Conquer Turns 25 Sep 27, 2020, 18:06
Sep 27, 2020, 18:06
 Kxmode

Command & Conquer doesn't look a day over 5 years. What is it secret?! Wink

Re: A No Man's Sky player found two planets that are smooshed together…
Sep 27, 2020, 08:23
Kxmode

Re: A No Man's Sky player found two planets that are smooshed together… Sep 27, 2020, 08:23
Sep 27, 2020, 08:23
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 04:09:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:36:
Something wonderful will happen.
Heh, my son and I were just playing in a system where the rings of one planet are clipping another.

That's no good.
17655 Comments. 883 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    883  ] Older