Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 14159 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Monster Hunter: World Next Month
4. Re: PC Monster Hunter: World Next Month Jul 9, 2018, 21:45 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 21:00:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 20:09:
Apparently 60 fps is the cap.

Not entirely unexpected since this POS is a conslow garbage port.

I played the demo. I personally didn't like it, but it definitely wasn't a POS as you ignorantly claim it is.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Ebay in 1988. Jul 9, 2018, 19:17 Kxmode

That video is maddening. That's not how eBay - or the Internet for the most part - looked in 1998. It looks more like Prodigy from 1992.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 18:48 Kxmode

Neutronbeam wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 17:03:
Trust me Stephen, your wife REALLY doesn't want to see this film. Saw it yesterday with my son.

Out, out, brief film!
The movie's but a walking shadow, a poor plot
That struts and frets its hours upon the cinema
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

News Comments > Steam Competitor Coming from China
21. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 15:36 Kxmode

DangerDog wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:35:
Harf Rife 3 confirmed

That's kind of racist.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 19:02 Kxmode

America is so backward in sports. We use whistling to celebrate our teams' achievements, while the world uses whistling to boo an opposing team. I first saw this during a World Cup Soccer match. I had to ask, "Why are they celebrating the other team's goal?"

On a side note, I completed the Summerset leveling guide for Zygor's Guides. Latest posted on https://github.com/Hydra9268/ZGESO . They dropped support for the game, and then later told all their subs we're not making a Summerset guide. So I did it! Took six weeks, but I think the guide will help a lot of ESO players.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 11:37 Kxmode

R.I.P.: Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, dies at 90. My all-time favorite comic book artist.

Yeah, his work was excellent. R.I.P. to be sure!

My favorite is Todd McFarlane (close second is Jim Lee via his work on The Uncanny X-Men). I think McFarlane's work more than any other changed the basic look of comic books. Technically his anatomy was wrong, but it worked for Spider-Man. The way in which he drew - so full of details - was fantastic! Up until McFarlane, there were two ways for the artists on the main "Spider-Man" titles to draw Spider-Man. Either like Steve Ditko (R.I.P.) or like John Romita and really, "like Romita" was the only true option in the late 1980s. Then editor of Marvel Comics, Tom Defalco famously said to McFarlane, "I don't like that spaghetti webbing." I loved the spaghetti webbing! As a kid and early teen, I had a mailbox subscription to Spider-Man and so each time I got a comic I was blown away by each panel of McFarlane's Spider-Man. It was so much fun to look at. The way his Spider-Man inhumanly dodged bullets while flinging spaghetti webbing at the bad guys. Awesome!

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
71. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 20:50 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:08:
Graham wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 14:42:
I've gotta give you props. I thought you were just a jerk online!

Wow, a snowflake who's a Nazi sympathizer as well. An Uber-Snowflake I suppose.

Godwin's Law invoked! It was bound the happen...

News Comments > New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down
9. Re: New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down Jul 6, 2018, 20:43 Kxmode

50 million people know the Scout is kind of a big deal. They also know that grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and the Scout hurts people.  

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
49. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 17:36 Kxmode

I never understood the irony of stating "the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all," and then they fire the people who made the statements. It wasn't like they made them during a press briefing or on stage during a product launch. They did it off company time.

There's a line from Star Trek The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead" that I'm always reminded of in situations like this. "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied chains us all, irrevocably."

News Comments > 2018 Steam Top Sellers
12. Re: 2018 Steam Top Sellers Jul 6, 2018, 13:33 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 09:49:
Jurassic World? Seriously??

People like dinosaurs... and Farmville.

News Comments > 2018 Steam Top Sellers
8. Re: 2018 Steam Top Sellers Jul 6, 2018, 04:44 Kxmode

Jagacademy wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 22:50:
Asmodai wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 21:42:
Good to see Kingdom Come doing so well despite the waaaaaaaaah over lack of "cultural diversity".

I don't think the majority of gamers care about that.

I sure don't. I'll take realism any day of the week and thrice Sunday. Verily!

News Comments > Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever
14. Re: Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever Jul 5, 2018, 19:55 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 17:19:
So this game is ARK/RUST/DayZ/Etc type of basically game right?

TL;DR Yes. A harder version.

----

I haven't played Ark, but from what others have conveyed, CE is infinity more difficult if you chose not to play with Admin enabled.

Examples include not being able to fast travel. Well, technically there is a way with the craftable map. However, this item comes later after considerable effort, level, unlocking feats, and harvesting rare resources. The functionality is one-directional from the crafted map room to an obelisk, which you must first discover by trekking all over kingdom come. As a bonus whenever you get too close to the fast travel obelisks, you get a health and stamina debuff called Corruption that stays with you until entertainers can be found to get rid of it. Besides having entertainer thralls in your base, there's only one area in the game that I know of where you can find them. The inn in Sepermeru, a City of the Relic Hunters located in the far west.

It also takes a significant amount of time to build a basic house with a few crafting stations. It took about 9-10 hours for me mostly because I didn't know what I was doing and I spent a great deal of time walking around stupid slow because I liked carrying 14 tons of resources.

Finally, in regular mode, you're pretty much afraid of everything because of how dire the consequences are.

And all of this happened in "Civilized" mode that afforded me eases in difficulty in specific areas. The more difficult modes have features like needing to eat and drink more often, food spoiling faster, taking damage from sustained poisoning, creatures that hit much harder (like they can one-shot you if you don't have appropriate armor), and so forth.

So yeah. CE's difficulty in many ways is unforgiving, but the sense of achievement is always present. If you like that sort of thing, then it's good fun.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2018, 22:52.

News Comments > Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever
11. Re: Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever Jul 5, 2018, 16:34 Kxmode

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 12:08:
I've watched a couple of twitch streams trying to decide if this is for me, and man. Hours of crafting followed by small amounts of actions and...back to crafting. Too slow for me.

In single player, you can give yourself Admin mode, which is the same as Minecraft's creative mode. You have full control over a lot of stuff in this mode. Do you like a particular time of day? Set it and lock there forever (I am noting this because unlike other games, night time in CE is dark-dark as in you can barely see where you're going). Are you stuck behind a barrier? Enable ghost mode and clip your way to success.

I found a great place in the Northwest called the Oasis of Nekhet that has what I wanted. First, it's north of the only city in CE with neutral NPCs that won't attack you. Also, happens to be where Conan is found (he's hanging out in the tavern). Second, a piece of land surrounded by three lakes with land bridges out to the mainland. In that area, I'm building a castle that will spread out from there. I want to turn the entire oasis into a metropolis so that the name of the region is Nekhet instead of Oasis of Nekhet.

Here are some screenshots from the current building project:
https://i.imgur.com/zz9Hbz0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jeKOcbi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AcRieFy.jpg (the banner behind the throne is in honor of the first dungeon I completed, The Dregs. The icon relates to the boss.)

Several tips:

1. Reinforced black ice is the most durable building material. Use it in your main building project.

2. Pay attention to the quality of building tiles. Each tile has a stability value. This value determines what can be attached to it and how much "weight" it can hold.

3. If you have a large roof, you'll likely need to use pillars to extend the stability from the floor to the roof. Lower-grade construction tiles have lower stability than higher-grade. In other words, you won't be able to place specific roofing tiles because the snap-to tile has a stability value of less than 40. Use a repair hammer to see the stability value of each tile.

4. There's a bug with certain lights that protrude through solid objects. I found wall-mounted torches provide the best control for atmosphere building.

5. Grab some mods. There are a great many that add a lot of quality-of-life improvements such as the mini-map and compass. I also like all the additional crafting items.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2018, 04:49.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Joe Jackson Jun 28, 2018, 15:59 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 23:11:
More likely if they had not escaped from the clutches of the jw cult, one or more of the Jacksons would have needed a blood transfusion and died because of medieval sadistic beliefs denying them proper health care.

Insufferable bigot.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 23:15 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 22:01:
Good movie. The key question, given that situation would you believe Dr. Eleanor Arroway? I have to admit I would have difficulty without knowing about the 18 hours of static...

Without the evidence, I would. The look in Ellie's eyes when she conveyed her story told me she experienced it and it was real to her.

With the evidence, I definitely would. Beyond the hours of static, the event would prove that time travel is possible because Ellie went to Vega, stayed there for 18 hours, and came back in the blink of an eye.

Or - and this might blow your mind - perhaps what it reveals is a form of metaphysical transcendence in that she never left earth. The machine merely created a pocket of reality under a different time dilation with a copy of the universe (like the ultimate VR simulation). The Vegan alien then had a "video call" with her using images from her mind to provide a familiar setting inside the created pocket.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jun 27, 2018, 21:22 Kxmode

DangerDog wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 20:54:
What a messed up legacy, if he hadn't been a tyrant the Jackson's wouldn't have ever amounted to anything on the other hand the money and fame has just about destroyed everything and everyone in it's path.

For the express purpose of the story I will say if he hadn't been a tyrant and pushed the kids into the music business, the Jacksons may have likely remained Jehovah's Witnesses; quietly engaged in the ministry and studying the Bible with people. Perhaps Michael Jackson could have become a family man and an elder in a congregation, and his sisters could have entered the missionary work in other countries. My understanding is Katherine Jackson is still an active Witness.

Anyhow, sad news for them. The death of parent is painful.

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 17
17. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 20:16 Kxmode

Caladell wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:52:
KezClone wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:25:
sauron wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 16:11:
*Twitches and prevents self from re-installing GW2, FFXI, FFXIV, and especially LOTRO*.

Those things are crack, man, even if you're the Dark Lord.

Go for LOTRO!

I did it myself a few months back, even subscribed. It's still amazing!

Gah. Now I want to reinstall it...

Problem with LOTRO is "free" accounts have to pay money to get the quests in each map. As you might expect that can cost. If you want to tingle your nostalgia for free go GW2 and ESO.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 20:11 Kxmode

ItBurn wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 13:48:
The Star Trek prime directive. A more advanced civilization will probably choose not to interfere with us. The lesser advanced, or equally advanced probably don't have the means to reach us. It's even possible that an advanced civilization will actively prevent early ones from communicating in order to let us "prove ourselves" as deserving first. With the size of things, I find it highly improbable that we'd be the only intelligent life in the universe. Also, claiming that we're the first is hard to justify because the odds are so so slim.

That was the premise of Contact.

TED: Hi, Sparks.
ELLIE: Dad? I missed you. Aren't you...?
TED: I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you, sweetheart.
ELLIE: You're not real. None of this is real!
TED: That's my scientist.
ELLIE: When I was unconscious, you downloaded my thoughts, my memories. Pensacola!
TED: We thought it might make things easier for you.
ELLIE: Why did you contact us?
TED: You contacted us. We were just listening.
ELLIE: There are others?
TED: Many others.
ELLIE: They all... travel here through that transit system you built?
TED: We didn't build it. We don't know who did. They were gone long before we ever got here. Maybe someday they'll come back.
ELLIE: All the civilizations you find come here?
TED: Not all.
ELLIE: Is this some test?
TED: No, no test. You have your mother's hands. You're an interesting species... an interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams... and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost. So cut off, so alone. Only you're not. You see in all our searching, all we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.
ELLIE: What happens now?
TED: Now? You go home.
ELLIE: Home? But, I have so many questions. Do we get to come back?
TED: This was just a first step. In time, you'll take another.
ELLIE: But other people need to see what I've seen...
TED: This is the way it's been done for billions of years. Small moves, Ellie. Small moves.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Minimum Specs Raised
1. Re: Oculus Rift Minimum Specs Raised Jun 27, 2018, 19:52 Kxmode

#TeamTinfoil  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2018, 18:50 Kxmode

sauron wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 16:17:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:38:
Revised system build.

New: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - Rated the top mobo by several sites
New: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - Rated the top SSD by several places
Keeping: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor - I don't plan on overclocking

I looked at several benchmarks for the 1080ti, and by all accounts they are impressive. Even more impressive is the 1080ti performs on-par or better in specific tests against the double-priced Titan X. The build above will give me at least 60 FPS with maxed settings in 4K. I am anticipating prices to drop over the next 12 months. My hope is the Volta-series 2080ti releasing some time this year will result in the 1080ti falling into the $400-$500 range, and push the build back on-par with my budget expectation of ~$1,500. I welcome your feedback and thoughts.

My thoughts:

The Uruk-Hai will be over to your place shortly to confiscate your system, which is clearly illegal in that it kicks the ass of all of our machines here at Barad-Dur. Especially the HD, mobo and CPU, not to mention the delicious GPU *commence ethereal drooling*.

In recognition of your donation to the cause of Mordor, it is likely that you may not be disemboweled (*this promise is not legally binding*).

If we are especially pleased, you may also receive a free hobbit (*or not, depending on supply, and upon number of hungry hench-creatures*).

Thank you and have a nice day.

Far over the budget's cold
To snack bowls deep and mancaves old
We must away, ere break of day
To build our pale enchanted gold!

The gamers of yore made mighty builds,
While Philips fell like ringing bells
In cases deep, where fast things creep,
In home and halls among the drills.

For ancient game and elvish toon
There many a gleaming victory boon
I shaped and wrought, and light caught
To hide machine under hilt of Ikea!

On silver solder, I have strung
The mental stars, on fumes they hung
A dragon I see on twisted wire
Next to the light of moon and sun

Mice and key carved there by me
And heaps of coin, where no man delve
There lay it long, costing a song
Was sung unheard by this old gamer so long!

*my precious*

14159 Comments. 708 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo