Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Here's my full communication with CIG requesting a refund. http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs This contains eye opening evidence.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 11471 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute
18. Re: Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute Mar 29, 2016, 13:55 Kxmode

MajorD wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:21:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:37:
Valve made $750 million last year. The math says 1.1 million isn't going to hurt them. For them it's like ordering a pizza, having it be delivered, and tipping the driver.

$1.1 million for each breach. So how many breaches were there? I guess it will be decided in Federal Court at a later hearing. /shrug

Oh. I missed the "per breach" part. My apologies.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch
17. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 13:50 Kxmode

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:09:
I am sure this would be amazing with games like Elite Dangerous but I am not going to spend thousands on PC upgrade and a VR headset until there are plenty other reasons to get one.

My point precisely! SpectralMeat is a gamer, the demographic for VR, and he thinks that. How do you think the mainstream feels? Soccer mom Sally walking through a Target isn't going to be like "you know what our family needs? An Oculus Rift." But she will say, "I really need to upgrade my iPhone." The niche market isn't going to make VR thrive. It's the general market; the Sally's and Fred's of the world who are NOT gamers. If VR cannot achieve that it will die a fad.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:39 Kxmode

PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:36:
You're the victim of your own reasoning. Your job doesn't pay as well as you think it should because a bunch of uppity Indians and Asians got it into their heads that they could do the same work for less pay.

You don't even know where I work or how much I make. You know what, when you want to have an intelligent discussion and not stoop to baseless comments, we can continue. Until then have a wonderful day.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:36 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:20:
[quote=""Mar 29, 2016, 13:17]]

I have a good paying job. It's a job that requires a certain type of skill not everyone can do. I don't want to be on the same financial level as a burger flipper and lettuce stuffer.
If your only making 15 bones an hour, I hate to be the first one to break it to you but that's not a good paying job. Sounds like you wasted money on education when you should just be flipping burgers.

From my original post:

"As a Web UX Developer / Programmer I will make a slight dozen digits more* than someone who flips hamburgers, stuffs lettuce in a taco, and drops fries in a vat of grease."

"*I care not to say specifically how much"

"a slight dozen digits more" is a more than $15, a lot more.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:28 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:20:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:17:
Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:10:
You're looking at this wrong. Don't blame them. Blame the people not paying you enough.

Pretty sure you missed the part where I wrote "I feel this is very unfair to those of us who worked at minimum wage jobs but decided to better ourselves by learning a skill and now we have good paying jobs". I have a good paying job. It's a job that requires a certain type of skill not everyone can do. I don't want to be on the same financial level as a burger flipper and lettuce stuffer. It's incredibly insulting. Minimum wage needs to remain minimum wage so people can take a hint and go learn some marketable skills.

1) How do you know they're not also working to get better?

2) Yes, we get it, you don't want to be on the same financial level as people you feel are inferior to you. Why is this their problem and not the problem of the guy deciding what you make? Why are you trying to give them a ceiling and not annoyed about your own floor?

2) By that faulty logic why have winners in Sports or the Olympics or eSports? There is ALWAYS going to be superiority and inferiority. That's life. I spent the time learning a skill back when the Internet basically didn't exist. Today, with sites like Udemy, MIT opencourseware, Full Sail Academy, Kahn Academy and more there is NO excuse for anyone to "settle" into a minimum wage "career".

To that point I frequent a Subway near my work. One of the young workers there really wants to get into game programming and is seeking advice. He has the passion and drive and I foresee him becoming the next John Carmack. Yes, he's working minimum wage but he's going to better himself with the skills needed to have a better paying job. That person has my respect because I was like him at his age back when the web was just starting out. Now I get 5-7 job offers a week; most of which I turn down.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:17 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:10:
You're looking at this wrong. Don't blame them. Blame the people not paying you enough.

Pretty sure you missed the part where I wrote "I feel this is very unfair to those of us who worked at minimum wage jobs but decided to better ourselves by learning a skill and now we have good paying jobs". I have a good paying job. It's a job that requires a certain type of skill not everyone can do. I don't want to be on the same financial level as a burger flipper and lettuce stuffer. It's incredibly insulting. Minimum wage needs to remain minimum wage so people can take a hint and go learn some marketable skills.

18. Re: Way to go California. Mar 29, 2016, 13:13 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:09:
That's awesome, more states need to raise the minimum wage. It can only benefit everyone!

No it can't. When you walk into a pizza place expect to pay $40 for large pizza, or $12 for a Happy Meal. Companies are going to make the public (you and me) pay for their employee's $15 per hour increase. It's not coming out of their bottom line.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:03 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:29:
PHJF wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:16:
Besides that, once AI has been well established and progress beyond humans (able to program itself) ... Your job may be seen as the new burger flipping

It already is the new burger flipping, or have you seriously not noticed the ongoing and extensive offshoring of computer science work to The East? The West had a good run at computer-related economies, but like manufacturing before it, businesses can and will shift to the cheapest labor. And it doesn't help the US having one of the worst and most expensive networking infrastructures.

It's unfortunate a person is judged by salary and position. For example, I'm reading a science fiction anthology and one of the best authors was a bus driver that wrote stories during long stops and his time off. He didn't make much doing either, but the stories are amazing and inspiring. Another famous author died in poverty, however some of the best science fiction movies are based on his stories. Can you guess who it was? So I wouldn't assume the 'burger flipper' is only flipping burgers. The person could be a struggling artist, musician, writer, or who knows what. It's not our place to judge. What if the burger flipper uses his/her time off to volunteer and help orphans or the elderly whereas as the programmer making 100k+ spends most his/her free time gaming, watching movies, and surfing the web. Who is the better person?

What's my point? If we push people to only strive for the high income positions we may lose someone who had the potential for artistic brilliance. There are a lot of struggling game developers too, running their own independent studios, and trying to make a groundbreaking game that may or may not succeed. In the meantime, I'm sure those people will have to work a low-wage, part-time, job to supplement in hopes of success; otherwise, all energy and time is spent working for someone else. If we don't support a people like that, no one will take risks or follow a dream.

On the other hand, will there be people who are content with low wage and doing nothing? Yes, of course, but it's better to allow them to live sustainably than to enter a life of crime or homelessness.

I've been told I sound more like a European than an American when talking socioeconomics.

"People who "settle" at minimum wage jobs basically gave up on life." That's the point. The people screaming for a $15 p/hour raise basically didn't think to better their circumstances. They didn't learn a trade and/or technical skills. So now the only jobs they're qualified to do is low income minimum wage. Poverty does amazing things to people. It forces them to evaluate their lot in life, especially if they have kids. It forces them to WORK hard to learn a skill so that they can get themselves out of a minimum wage job. But if you make the minimum wage $31k per year there's no incentive to upgrade. Worse, they feel now that they got $15 they are entitled to $20.

I feel this is very unfair to those of us who worked at minimum wage jobs but decided to better ourselves by learning a skill and now we have good paying jobs.

The bottom line is it's not my job to take care of other people. It's THEIR job to take care of themselves.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 12:54 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:07:
Besides that, once AI has been well established and progresses beyond human creativity (and is able to program itself) ... In the near future, your job may be seen as the new burger flipping.

I'm pretty sure automatons will replace burger flipping and lettuce stuffing before it replaces UX Web Development and Programming; thereby proving that minimum wage jobs can be done by mindless robots of any variety.

14. Re: Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute Mar 29, 2016, 12:49 Kxmode

Gadzooks wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:38:
This is kinda like screwing over the whole school from getting PB&J sandwiches just because 1 kid is allergic to peanuts.

And hates Ms. Schlotzsky's Mac N Cheese Thursdays. Damn you Steve! Shakefist

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Open Beta
2. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Open Beta Mar 29, 2016, 12:44 Kxmode

As a former Orc, and member of the Horde, I find this offensive! #OrcLivesMatter  

14. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 12:06 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 08:21:
Tom wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 06:27:
VR is an absolute game-changer for cockpit sims. Racing, flight, space, mech. I can never go back to a monitor and TrackIR setup for those sorts of experiences.

Yes, VR is a game changer... for absolute niche products. It will make billions this way.

We'll see. Let's talk about it in a few years, shall we?

If the Xbox never had Halo it would have died. If the CDROM didn't have Myst it would have likely never became as successful as it did. If Final Fantasy 7 never came to PlayStation there likely would not be a PS4 today. I'm looking at the lineup of VR titles and I see no killer app. There's nothing causing people to drop $600 plus whatever it costs to upgrade their computer for such a novelty item.

13. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 11:57 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 02:09:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 22:07:
Well that's nice for the 100 people who have one and the computer to run one.

Missing a few zeros there.

Oculus Rift review roundup: Enthusiasts love it, mainstream not so much. Like I said, "Well that's nice for the 100 people who have one and the computer to run one." 100 people is a metaphor for a small number.

8. Re: Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute Mar 29, 2016, 11:56 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:45:
Hmmmmm... Piiiiizza! Can I have a slice of that $1.1m pizza? :o

If you live in Australia no pizza for you!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 11:49 Kxmode

California raises minimum wage to $15 an hour. As a Web UX Developer / Programmer I will make a slight dozen digits more* than someone who flips hamburgers, stuffs lettuce in a taco, and drops fries in a vat of grease. These are no skill jobs. They're not suppose to be living income jobs. People who "settle" at minimum wage jobs basically gave up on life. It's not the government's job to force companies to give these people a 6% raise every year for the next six years!

*I care not to say specifically how much

6. Re: Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute Mar 29, 2016, 11:37 Kxmode

Valve made $750 million last year. The math says 1.1 million isn't going to hurt them. For them it's like ordering a pizza, having it be delivered, and tipping the driver.  

10. Re: Bazinga, McAfee to the rescue, not Mar 28, 2016, 22:50 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 19:31:
The FBI Has Successfully Unlocked The San Bernardino terrorists iPhone Without Apple's Help.

Correction. A tech company from Israel successfully unlocked the San Bernardino terrorists iPhone. Makes sense. A country under constant thread of terrorist attack has to figure out how to unlock their phones without consulting Apple.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2016, 23:38.

News Comments > Chronos for Oculus Rift
2. Re: Chronos for Oculus Rift Mar 28, 2016, 22:15 Kxmode

Why are all the scenes shot in variable third person camera angles? The trailer doesn't shows anything VR.  

5. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 28, 2016, 22:07 Kxmode

Well that's nice for the 100 people who have one and the computer to run one.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2016, 18:33 Kxmode

I'm not surprised Microsoft did this. Microsoft was one of the first tech companies to sign up for the PRISM program.  

11471 Comments. 574 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo