Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 15302 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 06:45 Kxmode

The Glass film is amazing. That is all.

Giggle Veryangry Snuh

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2019, 19:49 Kxmode

Windows is the Food-4-Less of personal computing. Actually, forget that. Windows is the CostCo of personal computing. Gotta find a box to put your stuff in.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 17:56 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 17:58:
You are a hilarious guy.

Are you not entertained?

News Comments > Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store
89. Re: Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 10, 2019, 15:11 Kxmode

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 18:28:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 17:41:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 12:19:
I keep hearing that Epic does nothing for PC gaming, as if they didn't create and constantly update Unreal Engine or something. I mean if they really wanted to, they could be the only place to buy games that used unreal.

"Epic does nothing for PC gaming" means their openness about abandoning the PC platform for consoles as it was, according to Tim's thoughts at the time, the future. Epic keeps updating its Unreal engine because plenty of console titles use it.

Ohhh please, Epic didn't abandon the PC, they had to expand their business model to include consoles to increases their market share and profit margins. Do you really believe that a gaming studio has no business expanding their target demographic? Epic recently unveiled their ray tracing features in Unreal engine, tell me exactly which conslow was that targeted at?

https://www.wired.com/2008/03/unreal-creator/

Entire article quoted for context:

Epic Games co-founder Tim Sweeney thinks consoles are beating PCs, and the PC gaming industry has no one to blame but themselves.

The industry, he says, has changed dramatically over the last decade, and that the constant advancements in technology have given game creators an excuse to cater specifically to the tiny portion of PC gamers who own high-end systems.

This shift leaves all those with lower specifications what Sweeney calls the "mainstream PC" out in the cold with computers much better suited for "Facebook, MySpace, pirating music or whatever," and as a result, that becomes those computers' sole function.

Consoles, which are an unchanging platform designed and marketed for one purpose, he argues, simply beat PC games by virtue of the "mainstream" audience that they don't neglect.

PC gaming fans may remember the recent, eerily similar words of Epic Games Lead Designer Cliff Bleszinski, who said the company is focusing so heavily on console development because "the PC is just in disarray."

In Epic's defense, after Bleszinski's comments Epic's Vice President Mark Rein came out in fervent support of the recently announced PC gaming alliance, but does anyone else get the feeling that Epic's love affair with PC gaming has fizzled?

Unreal creator Tim Sweeney: "PCs are good for anything, just not games"

They along with Cliff Bleszinski have shown where their loyalties lie with PC gaming. However, that's completely separate from the Unreal engine, which, as stated before, powers a lot of console products. So obviously Epic would need to keep their engine updated.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 15:00 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 12:16:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 09:45:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 03:32:
* Blue, already making $20,000 a month in advertising revenue, feels a twinge of guilt about further bleeding his readers. He resists the temptation for a few moments before opening a new browser window and typing "patreon.com" *
If that is even remotely close to being true, I'd be very happy for him and I'd be willing to stop plugging a Patreon page. Based on what I've read about what ads pay, it would be somewhat surprising, but not beyond what is possible.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that he makes anything close to that, which is why I keep bringing up Patreon. Beam

Relax. Have faith.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 14:59 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 03:20:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 17:34:
Measles outbreak: 78 new cases in first week of April 2019 as record approaches CDC says.

A case where people's beliefs quite literally kill others.

Not unlike the Spanish Inquisition.

Precisely like that.

84. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 9, 2019, 17:41 Kxmode

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 12:19:
I keep hearing that Epic does nothing for PC gaming, as if they didn't create and constantly update Unreal Engine or something. I mean if they really wanted to, they could be the only place to buy games that used unreal.

"Epic does nothing for PC gaming" means their openness about abandoning the PC platform for consoles as it was, according to Tim's thoughts at the time, the future. Epic keeps updating its Unreal engine because plenty of console titles use it.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2019, 17:35 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 03:46:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2019, 02:42:
Most of the time CTRL + F5 won't work and requires manually clearing.

How would you ctrl-F5 on a Amazon Fire tablet anyway?

Hence the "Most of the time CTRL + F5 won't work." That encompasses everything from the process itself not always working to the lack of a F5 on mobile browsers.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2019, 17:34 Kxmode

Measles outbreak: 78 new cases in first week of April 2019 as record approaches CDC says.

A case where people's beliefs quite literally kill others.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2019, 02:42 Kxmode

Most of the time CTRL + F5 won't work and requires manually clearing.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2019, 00:32 Kxmode

The second season of Star Trek: Discovery is amazing! If you're a lore buff, this season answers SO many canon questions especially around Christopher Pike that stays true to the existing prime timeline.  

73. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 9, 2019, 00:27 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 23:14:
Beamer wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 16:30:
1) You're comparing EGS to Valve today. Think further out. I know, so many here hate doing that, but who gives a shit about today? Think 5 years out. It's worth going through something slightly shitty today to be in a much better state at the end. Especially since I'm discussing games that won't be out for years, because they're being planned around EGS now.

As a consumer, why should I concern myself with how product or service might turn out in the future? I'm not an investor. Why should I tolerate an inferior service now when there's a superior alternative available? I owe nothing to Epic nor am I obligated to wait for them to provide a worthwhile service. I also owe nothing to developers and publishers who are willing to force me to use an inferior service so they can make a quick buck.

The reality is Valve has gotten complacent and brought some bad habits in. Epic isn't at feature parity but is looking to correct these habits. Both are likely to meet in the middle within a few years, and we'll all win.

I keep hearing this from Steam haters/Epic apologists and it's kind of baffling. How has Steam gotten complacent? They've done more for PC gaming over the last decade than all of their competitors combined. While Epic was jumping ship to Xbox, Valve was working to make PC gaming relevant again. I'm not seeing anything different with EGS nor do I have any reason to believe that will change.

Things Steam has added over the past decade:
- Big Picture Mode.
- Family Sharing.
- Universal controller support.
- Proton.
- Steam Controller.
- SteamOS.
- Steam Machines.
- Steam Link.
- Steam Workshop.
- Steam Wallet.
- Curators.
- Early Access.
- Steamworks.
- User reviews.
- Screenshot manager.
- Hub pages for every game that feature popular community guides, screenshots, art and forum posts.
- Coupons.
- Music, movies, TV shows and software support.
- F2P and subscription support.
- Discovery Queues.
- Multiple UI overhauls.
- Broadcasts.
- Trading cards.
- Badges.
- Community Market.
- Steam Guard.
- Personalized Recommendations.
- Steam Stats.
- Greenlight.
- Direct.
- Family View.
- In-home Streaming.
- Steam Play.
- Profile XP and leveling.
- Mobile app.

Yes, Valve has definitely been stagnant and complacent.

Significant major revisions to ratings. The most recent now filters review bombs out of the score as demonstrated on Borderlands. That's more than what the Epic Games Bore offers.

19. Re: I'm Still PINK News here and Control Your Privacy reared its ugly head Apr 8, 2019, 21:07 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 20:37:
But thanks for mansplaining how to clear a browser to someone who has 5 browsers installed on their tablet and has been doing computer work for friends, family, and clients going on damn near 20 years.
I never would of had a clue.

Oh, my bad. You were Poes Lawing it.
sorry, I'm a bit on edge in the morning before my quad-macchiato.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2019, 20:57 Kxmode

GOT Season 8 premieres a day before "tax day" on April 14. "Death and Taxes" as they saying goes. I wonder if the decision makers picked the date for that reason.  

16. Re: I'm Still PINK News here and Control Your Privacy reared its ugly head Apr 8, 2019, 20:11 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 16:14:
Still waiting for my browser to self-refresh Bluesnews but in the meantime I still got PinksNews. And the Control Your Privacy popup decided to greet me again.

Chrome on 2017 Android Fire 10 amazon tablet.
Not a complaint, just humorous.

Try clearing your browser cache.

1. In a new tab visit chrome://settings
2. search for "clear browsing" and select it at the bottom.
3. Update: Keep "Cached images and files" ticked, and untick "Browsing History" and "Cookies and other site data". Realized deleting Cookies with force you to log out of all websites. Don't want that.
4. Click the "Clear data" button.

The next time you visit, the logo image should be updated.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2019, 20:32.

58. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 8, 2019, 19:22 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 19:13:
Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 12:23:
And if Epic put Steam out of business tomorrow how much do you want to bet they'd suddenly raise their cut to 30 points? We all love compeition but exclusives are anti-consumer and devs getting a larger cut they don't pass on in the form of cheaper goods doesn't do us any good either. I have zero reason to use the Epic store and plenty of good reasons not to use it.
Worrying about EGS putting Steam _________ is like worrying about North Korea invading the US mainland. You have a greater chance of being hit by a drunk driver, but you don't let that stop you from driving.

Madlibs: IN A BLANKET

11. Chuck Norris a Day Calendar Triple Header! Apr 8, 2019, 15:22 Kxmode

"When Chuck Norris goes swimming with sharks, the sharks wear chainmail."
"If at first, you don't succeed, you are not Chuck Norris."
"A unicorn once kicked Chuck Norris. That is why they no longer exist."

28. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 8, 2019, 13:24 Kxmode

ItBurn wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 13:09:
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me." - Tyler DurdenTim Sweeney.

Tyler Durden was the figment of a man's delusion on his way to madness.

26. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 8, 2019, 13:21 Kxmode

15% is too high. Go 10%. That's a high enough incentive that publishers will have seriously doubts about going EGS exclusive.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2019, 23:59 Kxmode

A loss for you both no doubt and therapy for both. You both need each other. Question, does your wife join your walks? If not, worth a invite?  

15302 Comments. 766 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo