Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 13644 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2018, 13:32 Kxmode

I don't believe Chris Nolan has made a film that I did not like. He is an amazing director and writer with the ability to move from genre to genre effortlessly. I wonder if he has become this generation's Stephen Spielberg. I say that because Spielberg's work has suffered for more than a few years. Thoughts?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit
51. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 22, 2018, 01:16 Kxmode

I read the entire legal complaint.

Paragraphs (1) - (3) is historical context. However, the core of their complaint is (4), which states:

"Crytek and Defendants subsequently formalized their relationship by entering into a Game License Agreement. In that Agreement, Defendants promised, among other things, (i) to use the CryEngine game development platform exclusively and to promote that platform within the video game, (ii) to collaborate with Crytek on CryEngine development, and (iii) to take a number of steps to ensure that Crytek's intellectual property was protected. Defendants utterly failed to follow through on those promises, and their actions and omissions constitute breaches of contract and copyright infringement and have caused substantial harm to Crytek."

None of this has anything to do with copyright infringement! This is about a breach of licensing agreement, which is a different practice. The lawyers responsible for this sound stupid and asinine.

All that said, the rest of the complaint looks very sound. Signed contracts are legally binding, and if CIG did, in fact, breach numerous areas of the agreement, it would be tough for them to defend themselves. As the saying goes, "a contract is a contract is a contract."

As an aside, I looked up the law firm responsible for this. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates has 22 offices, more than 1,700 attorneys and 50-plus practice areas. They advise businesses, financial institutions and governmental entities around the world on their most complex, high-profile matters, providing the guidance they need to compete in todayís business environment. I think CIG is screwed. Crytek went with a powerhouse lawfirm. I don't think Ortwin Freyermuth can define against that onslaught.

Update: you should read Skadden's response to CIG's motion to dismiss. It's less lawyery and reads more like a really long Op-Ed. The evidence is clearly presented with touchstones from previous cases. CIG is really screwed. It's not just the copyright infringement, and licensing agreement issues, but there's a whole host of stuff they breached. CIG is going to have a extremely tough time because the lawfirm is calling for a trial by jury. Once they present this evidence, CIG cannot defend their position since they have been very transparent and open with many of the things the complaint alleges. There are literally millions of eye witnesses.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2018, 02:09.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

50. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 22:36 Kxmode

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 19:09:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 17:47:
Leonard French is a copyright attorney not an intellectual property attorney who would be the authority in the situation. IOW his opinion is about as meaningless as yours and mine. The real truth will be the outcome from a judge after proper lawyers present evidence.
Crytek makes claims of copyright infringement in their lawsuit, making his expertise extremely relevant. Also, just because a lawyer has a speciality doesn't mean they aren't qualified to speak about other aspects of law. You haven't discredited any claim he has made.

Well, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the licensing agreement portion of their complaint which is first and foremost. Besides Crytek doesn't own a copyright on Star Citizen and SQ42, so why would they claim copyright ownership of a product, not theirs? Their complaint is they own the underlining technology, which is not the same as copyright infringement, and they have the authority to decide how and where CIG uses it as set in the terms that CIG agreed to, and to which CIG ultimately changed those conditions without relicensing. It's entirely ridiculously to say, "well, CIG changed a ton of the code," because the license gave CIG access to the source code. Further, this kind of stuff falls under licensing agreement, which is a separate practice of law from copyright law. There are law firms that specialize in this. The point is a lawyer practicing copyright law can also practice licensing law. However, Leonard French did not indicate that he is a licensing attorney. Thus my point stands.

Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 17:58:
"utter bullshit and detatched from any semblance of reality." It's funny how points tend to delve into this kind of rhetorical nonsense. I know you're a huge supporter of SC, but you shouldn't let your passion for it be reduced to superfluous nonsense.
You made a completely unsubstantiated bullshit claim and I called you out on it.

You did in a very disrespectful way, which is usually how points get lost. If you want to get your point across, lose the coarse language.

Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 17:58:
I will say, merely based on experience as a professional web programmer, that it is exceedingly difficult to fully convert from one platform to another platform without retaining some of the original code.
Not when the platforms are nearly identical. A simple difference analysis would highlight the code required to be changed/removed. CIG was running an old build of CryEngine, which would have actually helped them.

Yes, which again goes back to the issue at hand, which is licensing agreements.

If you have evidence that CIG has not removed all CryEngine code then you'd be best telling Crytek, given that they haven't mentioned it in their lawsuit. It could come in handy for them.

There is always going to be evidence presented to the judge in any lawsuit by a plantiff. Pretty sure when this plays out in the courtroom the source code will be presented.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 19:15:
Oh right, you're talking out of your bumhole.
Par for the course, he also posted that he would no longer participate in CIG/Star Citizen threads.

Please provide evidence that I typed that.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2018, 18:06 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 01:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:28:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:18:
Enjoying WOW Legion. Much better expansion that I thought it would be. Really like the Artifact weapon system. It reminds me of GW2 masteries.
Yeah, I picked up WoW again after a long break just before Legion came out. I really enjoyed it, but I just stopped playing 3-4 weeks ago. I suspect this will be a permanent end of my WoW playing.

I finally fired up NMS a couple of weeks ago. I bought it on sale on Steam for $25. I'm about 80 hours in and really enjoying it so far.

Yeah, NMS is a great game to just chill out to. I'm about 100 hours in. While I still love discovering new planets, I'm not looking forward to grinding out $100M to buy a freighter in order to have multiple ships. They should have allowed you to store multiple ships at your base.

Interesting. I have no goals in Legion other than to play until it feels like a grind.

NMS left such a bitter taste. Maybe I should reinstall and check it out again. Though I will say building-resource gathering games like Ark and Minecraft aren't my thing. I like games with stories, and find myself quickly bored once the story ends.

47. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 17:58 Kxmode

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 16:09:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 15:02:
The merit of claim still stands because unless CIG fully converted SQ42 and SC over to Lumberyard, which I highly doubt given the complexity, a lot of the core code is still CryEngine.
Firstly, there is no evidence to support that. CIG claims it has ported the engine over to Lumberyard and the code base is sufficiently similar that that is a plausible claim. Further, Crytek hasn't alleged that CIG has not ported engine - they're claiming CIG wasn't allowed to. Your point is utter bullshit and detatched from any semblance of reality.

"utter bullshit and detatched from any semblance of reality." It's funny how points tend to delve into this kind of rhetorical nonsense. I know you're a huge supporter of SC, but you shouldn't let your passion for it be reduced to superfluous nonsense.

I will say, merely based on experience as a professional web programmer, that it is exceedingly difficult to fully convert from one platform to another platform without retaining some of the original code. Of course, all that could come out as evidence to determine how much of CryEngine remains. If it appears very little, then the judge may side with CIG. Conversely, if the core is still CryEngine, the judge may side with Crytek.

You all should be objective.

46. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 17:47 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 17:34:
There's a video here of a legal breakdown of the lawsuit.

Leonard French is a copyright attorney not an intellectual property attorney who would be the authority in the situation. IOW his opinion is about as meaningless as yours and mine. The real truth will be the outcome from a judge after proper lawyers present evidence.

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 15:24:
This is a completely douchy move by Crytek. Trying to get in on the scam and extract some hard stolen cash. RSI broke promises, well boohoo, you get in bed with dogs, youre gonna get fleas.

Complete ignorance.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2018, 17:59.

42. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 15:04 Kxmode

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 09:23:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:43:
Though, if I play CIG advocate, I have to ask why it took Crytek long to bring a lawsuit. They should've initiated it the moment CIG made their announcement.

My feeling is, had CryTek sued CIG immediately after the announcement, they would have presented a poor image in front of the judge. Remember, lawsuits are supposed to be the last step in the negotiating process.

I can agree with that conclusion.

41. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 15:02 Kxmode

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 07:31:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 23:22:
Well if there's one thing Chris Roberts does well, it would be "to break their promises."

Personally I think it's really slimy to claim "oh, this is all Lumberyard" when many of the core aspects of the game are still CryEngine. If someone gutted out and replace a Porche with after-market stuff, the core would still be a Porche.
I'm not sure you understand what Lumberyard is. Crytek was desperate for funds to sold the rights to CryEngine to Amazon, allowing it to licence the engine to other developers. Lumberyard was an exact copy of CryEngine at that point, since which they have diverged. CIG was able to change over the code differences in a matter of days when they switched to Lumberyard. So going back to your analogy, it would be like Porsche selling the design of their vehicles to Tesla - it means Porsche could call their vehicle a Porsche yet Tesla could call the same vehicle a Tesla.

I understand what Lumberyard is. However, that's not what the suit against CIG entails. The original intended purpose for SQ42 would be a game within Star Citizen; stand-alone but equal, if you will. Crytek agreed to a single license for both products. CIG broke the contract by making SQ42 a standalone title outside of Star Citizen. The merit of claim still stands because unless CIG fully converted SQ42 and SC over to Lumberyard, which I highly doubt given the complexity, a lot of the core code is still CryEngine. This code would fall under the binding agreement. I'm not a lawyer, but the point seems clear to me. Of course, if a judge rules in favor of CIG, I'll be glad to change my viewpoint.

25. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 20, 2018, 23:43 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 20, 2018, 14:27:
Frivolous lawsuit is frivolous.
brief https://youtu.be/T4HPTs-j3Mk
in-depth https://youtu.be/DHoiLclXI2M

Chris Roberts pitched Squadron 42 as a separate DLC-like title that would exist INSIDE the Star Citizen core game. That's why Crytek allowed CIG a license for "two" games. Chris' goal was to use the single-player campaign as a lead into the broader Star Citizen multi-verse. He even stated many times, players who completed the military campaign would receive UEE Citizen (ala Starship Troopers style). He also stated people could skip SQ42 and earn their citizenship by other means. All of that changed years later when CIG announced SQ42 would become a stand-alone product. In other words, CIG breached their contract with Crytek by changing SQ42's scope beyond the original agreed upon use. Crytek has every right to sue CIG for doing this. Though, if I play CIG advocate, I have to ask why it took Crytek long to bring a lawsuit. They should've initiated it the moment CIG made their announcement.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2018, 00:07.

24. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 20, 2018, 23:22 Kxmode

Well if there's one thing Chris Roberts does well, it would be "to break their promises."

Personally I think it's really slimy to claim "oh, this is all Lumberyard" when many of the core aspects of the game are still CryEngine. If someone gutted out and replace a Porche with after-market stuff, the core would still be a Porche.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2018, 23:46.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2018, 23:18 Kxmode

Enjoying WOW Legion. Much better expansion that I thought it would be. Really like the Artifact weapon system. It reminds me of GW2 masteries.  

News Comments > Activision CEO Leaving
1. Re: Activision CEO Leaving Jan 18, 2018, 21:28 Kxmode

I nominate Chris Roberts. He leads a company with the ability to sell JPGs for $350 a pop.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2018, 19:11 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2018, 13:43:
Yeah, I'm sure religion can solve our race relation problems ... thanks. Confused

It can and will.

You shouldn't confuse what people have done in the name of religion with Religion itself. They are not mutually inclusive.

Religion is defined merely as "a particular system of faith and worship." If people want to use "religion" for selfish and destructive means, this doesn't change the essence of what religion is. I liken the definition of religion to an atom. By themselves, particles are peaceful objects. However, when humans split them for selfish and destructive means, this did not change the essence of what atoms are.

Unfortunately, our history is rife with people who have done all kinds of evil things in that name of religion to the point where people see all religions as evil. This mindset is not by accident, but by design.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 18, 2018, 15:38:
Only a hypocritical close-minded cult member would think that it could. I feel sorry for lost people like that.

Sadly, you have adopted a repeated posture of umbrage. Rather than dignify ANY points from Bible - a book respected by the vast majority of humanity (even many atheists) - you attack wholesale for having the gall to present evidence from.

In other words, I am not the closed-minded person here.

P.S. no reply?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2018, 12:51 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2018, 06:48:
What astounds me is how control of the US Federal government has essentially been centered around race politics since the Civil War. I'm wondering how many centuries will have to pass before that's no longer true?

The Bible states as long as humanity remains as-is it won't happen under present conditions.

Luke 4:5,6 - conveys ownership
1 John 5:19 - and why, what you ask for, is not possible

However, it states what you're looking for will be achieved with a radical new system of things, under a brand-new political structure.

2 Peter 3:13 - broadly stated
Rev 21:1-4 - more details
Psalms 37:10,11,29 - a lot more detail

News Comments > Star Trek Online Anniversary Plans
4. Re: Star Trek Online Anniversary Plans Jan 18, 2018, 12:38 Kxmode

Thanks! I'm stuck on a mission at DS9 proper. It's been awhile since I played, but from what I remember there's an ongoing battle. I need to pilot a shuttle to the station to do something (disrupt communications?). Meanwhile, I must stop launched scouts tasked with undoing my work. Because the mission takes place exclusively in a shuttle, and not my starship, I deemed it much more difficult. Does this mission sound familiar?  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2018, 22:30 Kxmode

Sent an FOIA request to the USPS to find out which businesses own specific bulk mail permits numbers. Once I find out I'll share with you guys, in case you wish to take action.

I am thinking of assembling a "lo-fi" site for the public to help create a database of permit numbers with businesses so that people can be empowered to reach out to these companies.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2018, 22:50.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Anniversary Plans
1. Re: Star Trek Online Anniversary Plans Jan 17, 2018, 22:22 Kxmode

Good game. Unfortunately there's a difficulty spike when you get to the DS9 missions that is a blocker for me. Frustrated, I gave up. I'm hoping the devs tone the difficult a bit.  

News Comments > Epic on the Future of Paragon
9. Re: Epic on the Future of Paragon Jan 17, 2018, 20:14 Kxmode

Revised:

We care deeply about this community, and we know this is important to you, so here's a summary of where we are.

All changes in Paragon's growth have been to focus on growing the game. While the core community continues to enjoy these iterations, unfortunately, none have reached mainstream success. This realization, combined with Fortnite's success, has caused us to question if the path to grow Paragon and make it thrive is good.

With V.45 shipping this week with Hero and Card balances, as well as stability improvements, work on Paragon continues. Nonetheless, progress has slowed lately for two reasons: First, the teamís time remains split between enhancements and long-term efforts, so thereís less visible progress. Second, a handful of the Paragon team moved over to Fortnite to help sustain the game as its growth has been far more significant than anything in Epicís past.

Internally, we are talking about the future of Paragon in much the same way many you have. The core challenge remains. When new players try Paragon, only a small number continue to play regularly after a month. Though Paragon has evolved, no iteration has yet achieved that magical combination of ingredients that make for a sustainable game. (As an aside, the problem isnít marketing or how to make money with Paragon. If we can find a way to make Paragon grow, we have good ideas that would solve those issues.)

Over the next few weeks, we will try a few ideas internally to see if and where we can evolve Paragon to achieve growth and success. This move will result in a slower Paragonís releases.

Please remember, the team is deeply passionate about Paragon. We would love to find a path that works, and while we are not all in agreement on what could place Paragon in a fundamentally better way for all, we continue.

-----

I have played Paragon and liked it a lot. There are three reasons why I haven't played it beyond the initial play:

1. It's monotonous, and there's only one map.
2. The anti-aliasing on a 4K screen looks horrible. It feels like alpha tech.
3. Too many other games to pull my attention away.

Overall, Paragon is a solid game with a right premise. It would benefit Epic is create something genuinely unique, for example, some sort of single-player campaign to get people interested in the characters - because at the moment it has a very "me-too" feel with other FPS MOBAs.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones Next Week
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 17, 2018, 04:09 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 03:11:
Bought a PS4 Pro (first PS system I've had since the original) for Horizon Zero Dawn and was not disappointed in any way shape or form. Plus all the HD version of the PS3 games (and Shadow of the Colossus coming soon too!).

Absolutely. PS4 PRO scores high for the quality and exclusives (I'm not dogging the Xbox One S/X/?? as I have no experience with the machine). I think for me the number of PS4 exclusives was the "killer app" to get me to pick one up.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones Next Week
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 17, 2018, 01:29 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 00:56:
1badmf wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 00:36:
are they both really that good? i have both sitting in my 'to play' q, maybe they should move up to the front.

I really liked AC Origins. I can see why some people felt that there was too much of a "forced side missions" feel to it, since there's one or two parts in the game where your minimum level requirement between the main missions jumps up by like 5 or 6 levels, but if you do some exploring and side missions naturally, you won't even notice this. (I guess some people play a game like this by literally rushing between the main missions and never even looking at anything else?)

If you enjoy exploring, ACO is awesome. So many beautiful things to stand and gawp at.

I echo all of your points!

13644 Comments. 683 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo