Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12970 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
70. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 22:59 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 22:16:
I'd say it's a very different kind of faith. It's the kind of faith you have in a friend. You hope they are a good friend and will work out, but if they fail to show it, you're not going to hang out with them anymore. The longer a theory goes on without delivering results, the less and less people who believe it has any worth, and they move on. Especially when they are competing with other ideas that are having more success.

String theory, for example, has been getting trounced by the Standard Model for a while now. The SM has had the Higgs field, Gravitational waves, etc. String theory just hasn't been shown to map onto reality yet. None of its predictions have been experimentally shown yet. It's not quite hopeless yet, but it may very well end up in the garbage bin.

I agree. However, up until 2012, the standard model lacked the valuable evidence provided by Higgs-Boson. Did this make it any less useful? No! It just made it less accurate. Scientists didn't abandon it because it wasn't perfect.

NKD wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 22:16:
That's the fundamental difference between science and religion: A willingness to admit when the facts don't add up. Religion makes claims and then says they can be neither confirmed nor disproved. Of course individual scientists are people and have egos and some will cling to ideas more strongly than others. But that's why other scientists are there to keep them honest.

And because the SM lacked an essential piece of research found within Higgs-Boson did the scientific community admit when the facts didn't add up, that something was missing? Perhaps some did, but they are adamant about their faith in the model.

I am trying to establish a difference between true faith and passive faith. Passive faith is the type that most of us are familiar. It is observable in "lemmings" who take in whatever someone says without question or research. Almost all religions operate under this mentality, and it has had amazingly bad results in human history from The Crusades to the Spanish Inquisition, and to terrorism committed in the name of God. All of it perpetrated by ignorance.

True faith is the exact opposite. Scientists base their analysis and conclusions on "evident demonstrations." For real confidence in the Bible to work, trust must be established by "clear demonstrations." Studying the Bible reveals patterns showing that time and time again over the span of the 1,600 years prophecies declared and fulfilled in the past happened as described in exacting detail. The pattern, or conclusion, then is this: if the accuracy of Biblical prophecy remains 100%, then it will be 100% in the future. To that, I add Titus 1:2 which states faith is "based on a hope of the everlasting life that God, who cannot lie, promised long ago."

Like I mentioned in a previous comment both the Bible and science have wildly different conclusions about the sun's fate. I just choose to put my faith in the Bible's outlook.

Thanks for the discussion. Indeed, most fascinating. Have a great 4th!

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 2017, 23:18.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Jul 4, 2017, 22:15 Kxmode

Dacote wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 21:51:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 21:47:
NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 21:52:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 20:13:
Exactly, well said. Why do stars fuse hydrogen into helium? There is no 'why'. It is what happens.

You really want to have your mind fucked read or listen to that book I linked to Kxmode about Something Rather Than Nothing.

Thanks! I'll give it a review.

I also like the excellent assortment of Blu-ray quality scientific documentaries on Curiosity Stream. Of course whenever they drift into the evolutionary aspect of the planet's "creation" then I tend to zone out. The earth is too well formed with thousands of complex interconnected systems to be a randomly created oddity in the cosmos. Anyhow, again, thanks for the read suggestion.
When it gets to the sci-ency parts my brain turns off.
Holy Shit batman

Yes. Like when documentaries on the sun explain with absolute certainty that the star will go supernova in a few billion years hence. The Bible states another thing to is contrary. It all comes done to faith? I'd rather put my faith in the Bible's positive look into future than in man's negative look into the future. Eventually, humanity will know who was correct.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

66. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 22:09 Kxmode

Asmodai wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 23:46:
As a person with zero investment in nuclear power, I have been talking about waste products of solar panels for over a decade.

Solar is a feel good technology that you can stick on your house and does fuck actual all to solve the problem of moving from carbon based to cleaner energy... Same as the amount of carbon emitted to produce the concrete used in nuke reactors (a significant amount), there are intangibles or difficult to analyse costs with every form of energy generation that need to be addressed in picking an appropriate overall strategy. Shotgunning panels all over roofs is not a strategy...

I've heard of Utilities investing in solar panel farms. I assume creating a sizeable array does have noticeable and positive effects on producing clean energy.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 21:59 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 21:32:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 21:30:

That's a HOW question (e.g. "How do stars fuse hydrogen into helium?). The WHY question is, why are there stars? Science can't answer that, but the Bible can.

Is an answer worth anything if you can't vet the source and have no reason to believe it is true?

That's called faith. There are plenty of scientists who have put their faith in a variety of theorems, including string theory, that they base on sources that aren't vetted or proved. So whether spiritual or scientific, faith "is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen." (Hebrews 11:1) Admittedly, we can agree upon that, I would think.

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 21:47 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 21:52:
Exactly, well said. Why do stars fuse hydrogen into helium? There is no 'why'. It is what happens.

You really want to have your mind fucked read or listen to that book I linked to Kxmode about Something Rather Than Nothing.

Thanks! I'll give it a review.

I also like the excellent assortment of Blu-ray quality scientific documentaries on Curiosity Stream. Of course whenever they drift into the evolutionary aspect of the planet's "creation" then I tend to zone out. The earth is too well formed with thousands of complex interconnected systems to be a randomly created oddity in the cosmos. Anyhow, again, thanks for the read suggestion.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 21:32 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 17:36:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 15:07:

Science is never going to be able to explain the WHY, only HOW. It can only discuss the effects, but never the cause. These are the big WHY questions Science keeps asking to this day that they have not been able to answer.

That's because there are no "why" questions that are answerable when it comes to the universe.

Why are we here?

Science still has not been able to answer this question. The Bible does, many times over.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 21:30 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 17:36:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 15:07:
Science is never going to be able to explain the WHY, only HOW. It can only discuss the effects, but never the cause. These are the big WHY questions Science keeps asking to this day that they have not been able to answer.
That's because there are no "why" questions that are answerable when it comes to the universe. Using the term "why" implies there is a reason or intent.

That's a HOW question (e.g. "How do stars fuse hydrogen into helium?). The WHY question is, why are there stars? Science can't answer that, but the Bible can.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2017, 21:27 Kxmode

haki wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 17:45:
Religion is like politics. No proof just hope.

Except politics is insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again every two and four years and seeing the same results. I'd much rather take my chances with the book that has a consistent track record of successes than the promises made by people who are incapacitated by imperfection.

Bottomline science is not a religion. People need to stop treating it as a replacement for worship. And in case you're wondering yes people have made science a modern day religion.

News Comments > ESO Plus Free Trial Starts Tomorrow
3. Re: ESO Plus Free Trial Starts Tomorrow Jul 4, 2017, 21:17 Kxmode

GinRummy wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 12:34:
I played for about a month or so last year and had a good time as a solo pve guy. Lots of story quests and tons of places to go. I might give this a try to see about the thieves guild stuff.

I recently started playing the Gold Edition. It comes with DLC content like Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood that I have not gotten to yet. Videos do not do the game justice. Both gameplay and combat are excellent, but you only know this if you play. The controls are measurably smooth. I also like the restriction to five active skills and one elite with plenty of skill categories. As a Dragonknight, being offered more stealthy skills is refreshing in an MMO that tend to have strict classes. Additionally, each skill can morph into more powerful skills. From what I read skills can morph 4-5 times.

I joined the Daggerfall Covenant because I wanted to see how Bethesda updated the content from The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. So far I like it. I am also paying attention to the story in each map I visit. It appears multi-layered. There's the main story arc that seems to move from map to map, then the sides quests, then tertiary quests. All of the tertiary stuff is trivial nonsense, but the attention to detail with the sides quests is outstanding. Each has a story to be told within that region of the map.

I also think the graphics with all the settings maxed out looks beautiful. I would say ESO has a unique graphical style that doesn't try to copy World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2, but it works for Elder Scrolls. Lastly, the most important thing is, the single player experience feels like an Elder Scrolls game.

Hope my rambling review helps.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 16:10 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 15:33:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 12:52:
BobBob wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 10:53:
We have officially entered the new dark age. :|

It is impossible to call something a "dark age" when we live in the age of the Internet with freely available omnipresent scientific information. A real dark age is when information remains contained from the general masses; kind of like all the suppressed evidence by the scientific community that supports a "created" reality but does not fit into the prism of evolution. When only "one view" is taught as doctrine and the "other view" remains heresy, that's a real dark age.
There's an overload of information, so people are creating their own dark ages by limiting their information sources. That's why fake news was such a problem in the last election. People relied way to heavily on Facebook, Twitter, etc. for their "news." And they were often led astray.

Of course, if any scientist were ever to come out and posit the creation angle they would likely be "burned at the stake" as respects their careers.

Unrelated articles of note:
- Why Science Does Not Disprove God (4/26/2014) (Time)
You can't prove a negative. Also, science works in theorems, which is the best explanation for something until observable repeatable evidence shows otherwise. There are no absolutes.

A theorem is precisely the point of my post. Respected and renowned scientists, Ethan Siegel and Michio Kaku, as two examples, have reached "a general proposition not self-evident but proved by a chain of reasoning." The greater scientific community has not accepted their theorems even though they reached their conclusions through chains of reasonings. Thus we circle back to my first mention of science suppressing such theorems to the "dark" because it does not fit their narration. By any stretch of the definition, this is call intellectual dishonesty.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 15:54 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 14:14:
I look at religion the same way I do as Harry Potter. Interesting books, but as Patton Oswalt said, if he went to the White House demanding a Green Lantern Ring (that he saw and read in a book)he would be justifiably tasered.

Interesting analogy considering the Green Lantern series was created by five people in the 1940's, while 40+ individuals (from shepherds and profits to kings and prime ministers) penned the Bible over the course of 1,600 years; and who's authorship belonged to Jehovah God as indicated by the writers (2 Timothy 3:16,17; 2 Samuel 23:2; 2 Peter 1:21).

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 15:36 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 15:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 12:25:
Completed the Steam sticker sheet "quest?" I'm not sure what I got out of it.
Recognition that you spent 100s of dollars?

Pretty much. Such a consumer tool.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 15:07 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 14:30:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 14:20:
NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 13:15:
kind of like all the suppressed evidence by the scientific community that supports a "created" reality but does not fit into the prism of evolution.

Creationism has literally no scientific basis, suppressed or otherwise.

Who said anything about Creationism? I said created reality. They are mutually exclusive. I do not believe in Creationism, and true Christianity does not teach or support the concept of "creationism." It is not compatible with the Bible's account of creation.

You said that scientific evidence was being suppressed. If you're talking about simulation hypothesis or just the general idea of the universe being created, then there is no evidence to suppress. Even calling it a hypothesis might be going too far. It's just an idea some people have floated.

I refer to scientists who through their research have found substantial evidence of structure and form within the cosmos and on earth that cannot be explained by science, but have to contain this information because it doesn't fit the narration of modern science. As Astrophysicist and author Ethan Siegel stated in his Forbes article, "We live on a planet that has all the right ingredients for life, including:

- We’re at the right distance from our Sun so that temperatures are conducive to life.
- We have the right atmospheric pressure for liquid water at our surface.
- We have the right ingredients - the right balance of heavy elements and organic molecules - &#8202;for life to arise.
- We have the right amount of water so that our world has both oceans and continents.
- And life started on our world very early, sustained itself for our planet’s entire history, and gave rise to us: sentient, self-aware creatures."

Moreover, renowned physicist Michio Kaku developed a new theory which he says points to the existence of God or an intelligent designer for the universe. “To me, it is clear that we exist in a plan governed by rules that were created, shaped by a universal intelligence and not by chance.”

Both Siegel and Kaku have reached their conclusions through exhaustive scientific research, and yet they have to present their evidence carefully because of what could happen. Many scientists never go that far since they fear to become pariahs.

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 14:30:
And I'm not sure what you mean by "true Christianity." Don't all Christian and Islamic sects generally accept that the God of Abraham willed the universe into existence?

Many Creationism ideas conflict with the Bible. For example, Creationists take the length of the six days of creation as literal 24-hour days. The Bible uses the word “day” to refer to a considerable length of time. (Genesis 2:4; Psalm 90:4) A more appropriate word for "day" in the Biblical account of creation would be epoch. Creationists believe the age of the earth is just a few thousand years old. According to the Bible, our planet and the universe existed before the six days of creation. (Genesis 1:1) As a Witness, I have no objections to credible scientific research that indicates the earth is billions of years old. I am not anti-science but believe that true science and the Bible can be compatible.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 14:20 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 13:15:
kind of like all the suppressed evidence by the scientific community that supports a "created" reality but does not fit into the prism of evolution.

Creationism has literally no scientific basis, suppressed or otherwise.

Who said anything about Creationism? I said created reality. They are mutually exclusive. I do not believe in Creationism, and true Christianity does not teach or support the concept of "creationism." It is not compatible with the Bible's account of creation.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 14:05 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 13:02:

Of course, if any scientist were ever to come out and posit the creation angle they would likely be "burned at the stake" as respects their careers.

Nice thread hijack attempt. Stop this bullshit,

It is hypocrisy to call such a post a "thread hijack attempt" when the name of the thread is literally "Out of the Blue." I could say the same thing about the rampant political posts on a video game website that has nothing to do with politics... but I don't. So you will do me the pleasure of allowing my off-topic post in an off-topic forum.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 12:52 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 10:53:
We have officially entered the new dark age. :|

It is impossible to call something a "dark age" when we live in the age of the Internet with freely available omnipresent scientific information. A real dark age is when information remains contained from the general masses; kind of like all the suppressed evidence by the scientific community that supports a "created" reality but does not fit into the prism of evolution. When only "one view" is taught as doctrine and the "other view" remains heresy, that's a real dark age.

Unrelated articles of note:
- Why Science Does Not Disprove God (4/26/2014) (Time)
- Can Science Prove The Existence Of God? (1/20/2017) (Forbes)
- Renowned physicist finds PROOF of God: Universe was created by DESIGN in huge 'matrix' (12/12/2016) (UK Express)

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2017, 12:25 Kxmode

Completed the Steam sticker sheet "quest?" I'm not sure what I got out of it.

News Comments > Raiders of the Broken Planet Diary; Beta Signups
4. Re: Raiders of the Broken Planet Diary; Beta Signups Jul 2, 2017, 01:16 Kxmode

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 00:47:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 21:38:
oh yay...another shooter....yippee

You forgot asymmetrical

Is that the new hotness? No. It's not. Dead by Daylight, Friday the 13th video game, and a host of other titles have already pioneered that style of gameplay. All this dev did is mix it with Overwatch and hit purée.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
25. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jul 2, 2017, 01:13 Kxmode

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 16:46:
Fion wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 12:19:
It's unfortunately because as bad as some elements of the game are (animations, obviously), the gameplay is actually pretty solid

Like most all open world games, including Witcher series, it's a great 20 hour game filled with another 100+ hours of useless shit.

MMOs are the exact opposite.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
24. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jul 2, 2017, 01:07 Kxmode

TL;DR - Definitely no to a single player DLC. Definitely yes to a sequel, and possible reboot.

Non-TL;DR - Despite the patches, the single player game is dead. It died on launch or more precisely before launch during the 10-hour prelease beta. Reviews were brutal. Youtube recordings were shocking. It also didn't help that one of the former designers at the Montreal team was an unabashed overt racist. EA is not going to fund development on something that is guaranteed not to have the best possible return on their investment.

That said, a sequel is almost certainly going to happen. The Mass Effect IP is still popular and profitable with a huge following. Gamers are more willing to forgive "flukes" like Andromeda. It is not going to cause them to hate the ME series altogether. What EA will need to do is take the series away from the Montreal studio (if they have not done so already) and give it to one of their AAA developers. One with a history of developing top-notch EA titles. Next, they need to reboot the series. Andromeda shall remain a blip on the radar and can exist as a single title even if there were nods to possible sequels. It is not the end of the world if Mass Effect Andromeda 2 never happens.

12970 Comments. 649 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo