Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description If you actually understand Genesis 1:1 that is the beginning of wisdom.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12313 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2017, 04:16 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 02:07:
There's an even bigger hole. In order for that time dilation effect to occur, the planet itself must be traveling and near the speed of light. Which means that little landing skiff would have to approach the speed of light to catch it. And then escape the massive gravitational pull of a black hole that accelerates a planet to nearly the speed of light to return to the mothership.

And I thought the BS Dr. Mann pulled was actually pretty realistic, given his circumstances. Some people, alone for a decade, might do the same thing just to be rescued. There are some fantastical elements to the movie and a few problems with the ending, but I've seen it a couple of times and always enjoy it.

Still, that wave sequence was freaking awesome, and I love Chris Nolan's movies. I can't wait for Dunkirk.

I think you're looking way too much into the flawed details. The executive producer is Caltech theoretical physicist Kip Thorne who also served as the film's consultant being the world's expert on Einstein's general theory of relativity (no big deal, right?). Under Thorne's guidance, the team used Albert Einstein's equations on general relativity to help build what many call the most accurate depiction of a black hole ever committed to film and the look of which specifically to help the team understand how light could be affected by a black hole. However, all those details aside, Nolan still needed to tell a story. Some of the facts would need to be distorted. Mark Twain once said, which Neil deGrasse Tyson repeated when discussing the science of Interstellar, "First, get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." I'm just saying accept the science stuff like "Yes! Real science!" but don't get too bent out of shape on the other things otherwise you won't enjoy what an amazing film it is.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2017, 03:49 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 01:35:
nin wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:06:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 17:26:
so fragile... so very fragile

Oh, please keep it up! I can't wait for you to be banned again!

Not really something we should be hoping for or getting excited about, IMHO.

Agreed. BluesNews is a curiosity in a sea of mediocrity. (Hey, I made a rhyme Dance )

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

33. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2017, 03:48 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 01:42:
The World Is Slowly Running Out Of Sand.

Thanks to global warming.

I'm not saying it's aliens... but it's aliens. Alien

32. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2017, 03:46 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 01:33:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 15:20:
Movies are released on video so fast. I saw an ad for Dr. Strange coming February 28. 3-4 months ago it was released in theaters (October 20, 2016). 3-4 months is about the same time for Star Wars TFA (In theaters December 17, 2015, released on DVD April 1, 2016) I wonder if this is an industry practice or something exclusive to Disney considering they own so many large IPs (LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar, etc.)

DVD/BRD release has been 3-4 months after theatrical release for a couple of decades now.

I just got the memo.

News Comments > Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio
16. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2017, 03:42 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 02:11:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 22:59:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 22:52:
I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon makes their own version of Twitch.

But Twitch is already Amazon's own version of Twitch.

yeh... they already own the fucker, isnt that enough?

Amazon is like "My engine brings all the developers to Lumber yard."

News Comments > Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio
13. Re: Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio Feb 16, 2017, 00:46 Kxmode

No!!! This guy is a disaster. His video game history is rife with problems. Star Wars Galaxies was, for the most part, a perfect MMO: player house; a new class system; a tough to obtain Jedi class; legit factions; exotic planets (maps) to explore; iconic stuff from Star Wars. However, this was not good enough for ole Smedley. Nay! See he had to replace all that greatness with the gaudy monstrosity called NGE. The 26 or so classes were gutted down to like nine with Jedi available from the get-go. Nevermind that this killed the mystery of the Jedi class, it also went against canon considering the Empire hunted Jedis.

What's that, you want more? Sure!

Here's a list of other titles this guy has butchered:

PlanetSide 2 (2012) (President)
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (2007) (President)
Star Wars: Galaxies - The Complete Online Adventures (2006) (President)

Then there's EverQuest Next; a game that turned into another game disguised as another game.

Here's what Smedley said at SOE Live 2012, and I quote, "What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed... We are remaking Norrath unlike anything youíve ever seen, but you'll recognize it."

Well, at least the "We are remaking Norrath, unlike anything youíve ever seen" part is correct. I never saw it, Smedley!

What's worse: washed out movie producers trying to make games or atrocious video game presidents trying to make games?

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 20:48 Kxmode

nin wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:06:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 17:26:
so fragile... so very fragile

Oh, please keep it up! I can't wait for you to be banned again!

I like Agent-Zero. His comments are funny; at least most of the time.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 19:38 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:32:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:25:
On a side note saw The Arrival. Excellent, cerebral sci-fi! I didn't think it was Oscar "Best Picture" worthy but it was extremely good. The real star of the film is the alien language. It's the most unique aspect of the film that I've not seen in any form elsewhere.
First, it is just "Arrival" -- "The Arrival" is a pretty bad Charlie Sheen movie from 1996. ;P

LOL! Totally forgot about that.

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:32:
That aside, I really liked it too, I thought it was the best sci-fi movie of the last couple of years. However, it hasn't gotten broad praise from the sci-fi community. Some people dislike any story involving time manipulations, which I have some sympathy for but it didn't bother me in this film.

I don't know. I think the last few years have been good for sci-fi, especial cerebral. Interstellar, The Martian, Arrival, Looper, and Predestination. Then there's Moon, Ex Machina, District 9, Source Code, and others that I'm forgetting. Of course, there have been some real stickers like Jupiter Ascending.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 15, 2017, 18:37 Kxmode

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:28:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 15:20:
Movies are released on video so fast. I saw an ad for Dr. Strange coming February 28. 3-4 months ago it was released in theaters (October 20, 2016). 3-4 months is about the same time for Star Wars TFA (In theaters December 17, 2015, released on DVD April 1, 2016) I wonder if this is an industry practice or something exclusive to Disney considering they own so many large IPs (LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar, etc.)

It's fairly standard industry practice these days, but is new as of the past few years. Probably a response to declining cinema sales and to piracy, i.e. movies have shorter theater runs and the longer they sit around unavailable, the more likely people will turn to piracy.

Perhaps, although I don't think studios are losing money from ticket sales. According to BOM all of the top ten worldwide films grossed over a billion and with the exception of two were released within the last 4 years.

1 Avatar (Fox) $2,7B - 2009
2 Titanic (Par.) $2,1B - 1997
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens (BV) $2,0B - 2015
4 Jurassic World (Uni.) $1,6B - 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers (BV) $1,5B - 2012
6 Furious 7 (Uni.) $1,5B - 2015
7 Avengers: Age of Ultron (BV) $1,4B - 2015
8 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (WB) $1,3B - 2011
9 Frozen (BV) $1,2B - 2013
10 Iron Man 3 (BV) $1,2B - 2013

I think it's more about the ADD nature of entertainment. After a few weeks, most films cannot pull in an audience. An audience is always looking for the new. I guess Studios have to move to make sure DVD/rental/digital sales are high.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 18:25 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 11:48:
TFA should have told a unique story, but chose to be an imitation.
Rogue One should have been an imitation, but chose to tell a unique story.

Interesting analysis. Have yet to see Rogue One. Waiting for its release on DVD.

On a side note saw The Arrival. Excellent, cerebral sci-fi! I didn't think it was Oscar "Best Picture" worthy, but it was excellent. The real star of the film is the alien language. It's a unique aspect of the movie that I've not seen in any form elsewhere.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 18:20 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 18:17:
I know the feeling. I often wonder if coffee is just as bad as any other drug addiction. I literally can't think straight if I don't have my first cup.

I'm pretty sure a coffee addiction is better than a cocaine addiction.

News Comments > For Honor Workarounds
12. Re: For Honor Workarounds Feb 15, 2017, 17:55 Kxmode

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 15:47:
The netcode for this game is utter crap. See this analysis made by Battle(non)sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAU5bIalbnc

~100-120ms delay on top of ping difference between the clients. Wow, is all I'll say. This is 2017, eh Ubi$oft?

Can anyone confirm the devs used Lumberyard? I heard the CryEngine core that drives Lumberyard is very restrictive in how it handles high fidelity multiplayer / MMO titles.

11. Re: For Honor Workarounds Feb 15, 2017, 17:52 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 15:24:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 14:39:
Didn't Ubi have similar issues with The Division? I would've thought by now they would understand how things work on PC.

It's probably another Ubisoft Kiev failboat.

Yeah. Amazing the level of degree in studio quality. Ubi should focus on upping their development quality across their entire brand. This hit or miss is quite embarrassing.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 15:24 Kxmode

I threw out a lot of junk yesterday as part of gearing up to move. A lot of junk. Like an extreme amount of junk. This leaves me in a position where all that remains is to throw out a lot of junk. A lot of junk. Like an extreme amount of junk.

I want to say something witty. I have nothing. Need more coffee. Coffee

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2017, 15:20 Kxmode

News Comments > For Honor Launched
12. Re: For Honor Launched Feb 15, 2017, 14:42 Kxmode

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 13:10:
Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 22:03:
So $80/$90/$120 for an arena game where all you do is stand around hacking and slashing? Oh yeah, and $40 season pass and microtransactions out the ass to boot. Are you fucking kidding me?

You left out that it's Peer-to-Peer because Ubi$oft is too cheap to use dedicated servers. If you want to scratch the same itch that For Honor scratches without supporting Ubi$oft's despicable business practices Chivalry can be gotten for a few bucks on sale,

Just ignore the horrible hand placement on weapons.

8. Re: For Honor Workarounds Feb 15, 2017, 14:39 Kxmode

Didn't Ubi have similar issues with The Division? I would've thought by now they would understand how things work on PC.  

News Comments > For Honor Launched
7. Re: On Sale Feb 15, 2017, 03:49 Kxmode

I bet UbiSoft calls this by another name in house: FOR MONEY or FOR MILKING. Either, or.  

News Comments > Lķcio Joins Heroes of the Storm
1. Re: On Sale Feb 15, 2017, 03:47 Kxmode

NOBA...  

News Comments > More Apocalypse Now Crowdfunding
11. Re: On Sale Feb 15, 2017, 03:41 Kxmode

SlimRam wrote on Feb 14, 2017, 22:14:
ďTerminate (this project) with extreme prejudice.Ē ó Jerry

That's gold Jerry, GOLD!

12313 Comments. 616 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo