Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews (Latest version hides all blocked user quotes)
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12786 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans May 4, 2017, 23:41 Kxmode

Prez wrote on May 4, 2017, 20:37:
Blizzard definitely hit a gold mine with Overwatch. It will probably be a moneymaker for years to come.

It also helped that it was created primarily by the original team responsible for WOW.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo
59. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 4, 2017, 23:38 Kxmode

gilly775 wrote on May 4, 2017, 12:36:
But again, my issue here is the entire game and refund system excuse. I think it's ludicrous for those of us that do have caps. I don't know about everyone else here with a cap on their ISP but I'm a systems admin. I've got 4 kids and a wife that tend to chew up bandwidth at home. I Windows Update Dev servers one weekend night after Patch Tuesday and then Prod servers the weekend after. Granted I don't play a lot of online games but Steam/Uplay will update my library as updates are released. Sometimes I remote in after hours to fix issues, chewing up more bandwidth. I'm just disappointed that the mentality to create demos off of the full game is happening less and less. I miss the days of Game Demos on CDs and the availability to go to CNET.com to download them back in the mid/late 90s. It just baffles me how studios/publishers don't care anymore.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like your rationale for not wanting a time-limited demo is your ISP has hard bandwidth caps and charge for overages compared to your family's usage. It's 2017. Broadband replaced dial-up a long time ago. It's not expensive and most, if not all, ISPs do not have hard caps. They might have soft caps of 50-100GB in that if you consistently hit at or above their threshold they may inquire. That said they understand Youtube, Hulu, Steam, Origin, Netflix, and so forth creates a situation that makes bandwidth caps bad for business. If you find yourself in that situation with your ISP, then shop around for another. In the meantime, Valve should let publishers do time-trial demos before launch. "JUST DO IT!"

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend
6. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend May 4, 2017, 13:40 Kxmode

Linksil wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:02:
Because you have to really pound into the game to get through all the free content.

In difference to your asinine comment, I do not want to play for free. I merely want to test drive the product, like I do before buying other products such as cars and music.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend
1. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Free Weekend May 4, 2017, 12:20 Kxmode

See. This is a 48-hour demo with no time limits. How can this not happen for launch titles?

This comment was edited on May 4, 2017, 13:34.

53. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 4, 2017, 04:33 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on May 4, 2017, 03:08:
Quinn wrote on May 4, 2017, 02:28:
Also, name a demo that lasted longer than 5 hours in the last 20 years.

Ummm... the Mass Effect Andromeda 10 hour free trial last month? OK. It required signing up for a free trial membership of Access but free is free and it was a very generous demo.

More free trials on Origin (that do NOT require also signing up for a free Access trial): Unravel (10 hours), Plants vs. Zombies (10 hours), The Sims 4 (two days, i.e. up to the theoretical maximum of 48h if you ovahdoze on caffeine), BF4 (sevens days = up to 168h including the SP campaign), SWBF (4 hours... OK, not quite 5h), Titanfall (two days = up to 48h), Dragon Age Inquisition (6 hours).

And if this shit ain't enough, you could exploit their Great Game Guarantee refund policy by playing a game for up to 23:59:59 hours. They have a much more generous policy than Steam with their measly 2 hours.

Well, finally Kxmode already mentioned free weekends on Steam. Those usually launch on Thursday at 10:00AM Pacific and last until Sunday.

Saying there haven't been 5h+ demos in the last 20 years is complete uneducated drivel.

I almost want to start buying games on Origin so that I can get some of EA's generous demo-periods and refund guarantees. Valve needs to up their game and gives publishers the option to do time trials of upcoming titles. The publisher can determine the details. For big AAA-titles with a typical 50+ hour campaign, I think five hours is fine. Smaller indie publishers may decide on 30-minute previews. The point is in 2017 with digital distribution it shouldn't be hard to make an entire game playable within a specified period for a limited amount of time, without forcing a consumer to buy the game only to end up going through the annoying refund process.

52. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 4, 2017, 04:22 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2017, 02:49:
Kxmode wrote on May 3, 2017, 16:41:
The refund policy is NOT the equivalent of a PC demo and should never be used by publishers as a justification for not releasing a demo when the console versions have them!

Frankly, a refund is the last action a gamer takes when the game doesn't work for them. Two hours is only enough time to tell if the game will even run. There are way too many games that require several hours to see if the game is worth keeping.

Like, um, er, could you give us an example, perchance?

No Man's Sky.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Season 3, Episode 5
1. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Season 3, Episode 5 May 4, 2017, 00:02 Kxmode

If this is the lead into a new expansion, I hope we get to go to the Crystal Desert. We can precisely see what that big purplish looking blob on the map is.

44. e: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 23:11 Kxmode

Squirmer wrote on May 3, 2017, 17:49:
Kxmode wrote on May 3, 2017, 16:41:
The refund policy is NOT the equivalent of a PC demo and should never be used by publishers as a justification for not releasing a demo when the console versions have them!

Frankly, a refund is the last action a gamer takes when the game doesn't work for them. Two hours is only enough time to tell if the game will even run. There are way too many games that require several hours to see if the game is worth keeping.
So 2 hours isn't enough...but you want the console demo which is only 1 hour?

You say that like those are the only two options. There's another. Steam is a digital distribution platform like Xbox Live and PSN. This gives publishers control over their products. Arkane could ask Steam to release the game 48 hours before the official launch with a 5-hour time limit. For one day (midnight to midnight), everyone can play through Steam for up to five hours. Afterward, the Play button is disabled until launch. Five hours is plenty of time to test on a machine and know if it is worth a purchase. It wouldn't be hard to do this for launch titles. Publishers do this all the time with their "free weekends."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2017, 16:58 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2017, 12:26:
Steelcamp wrote on May 3, 2017, 09:57:
THE DARK TOWER - Official Trailer.
w00+!!!!
Idris Elba is great.

Definitely! Thought he did a fantastic job in Star Trek Beyond. Having him be the hero and McConaughey be the villain is a genius move. Both are great actors.

34. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 16:48 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on May 3, 2017, 12:30:
For some here on Blue's News the demo they like is the complete game for free. I mean there could be a bug in the final battle so they must be allowed to play through just to check it out, right?

Or the game has no ending and will break after a certain point. However, this only becomes apparent after 40 hours of play.*

* No Man's Sky

33. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 16:41 Kxmode

News Comments > ESO: Morrowind Trailer
4. Re: ESO: Morrowind Trailer May 3, 2017, 00:13 Kxmode

Being able to see a portion of Morrowind in the Dragonborn DLC was enjoyable. I wasn't too thrilled with the persistent volcanic ash, but it was fun stomping around old, familiar territory. Will be nice to enter Morrowind proper.  

News Comments > Abandon Ship Trailer
7. Re: Abandon Ship Trailer May 2, 2017, 02:15 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 00:46:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 29, 2017, 21:43:
Was hoping this was a sinking ship survival game kind of like The Poseidon Adventure. That would fascinating.

You're a space game fan. You've played FTL, right?

I am, and I have. It's in my Steam library, but I'm not a fan. Too much micro-managing. I was thinking more rogue-like with isometric Diablo 3-styled graphics. Several things would be random each time:

> Size of ship; length and floors
> When ship hits object
> Type and size of object
> How long until boat fully sinks
> How long until floor is completely submerged
> Number of items to survive (e.g. rope, water, food, matches, hydrant, ax, compass, map, etc.)
> How many NPCs, and how many want to survive (similar to The Poseidon Adventure where some of the crew and guests were adamant about staying put, and others were willing to go.)
> How many NPCs are cowards and how many are brave? (push comes to shove who will fight or flee)
> Which skills an NPC who flees with you has
> Challenge Modes:
- Easy: Only you = Win;
- Medium: You and one guest = Win;
- Hard: You and all guests = Win;
- Heroic: Not you and X number of guests = Win; (You choose the difficulty to sacrifice yourself for. You can see how many NPCs your actions saved.)

I think that would be fun and thrilling. Especially when you see the water enter a floor, the reaction will be frantic. "Oh crap! I have X amount of time get stuff from this floor and move up before it's under water!" I never liked the Titanic movie, but I loved the sinking part. The entire last hour or so was incredibly thrilling.

News Comments > Hearthstone Celebrates 70 Million Players
6. Re: Hearthstone Celebrates 70 Million Players May 2, 2017, 01:58 Kxmode

I'm not dogging anyone who enjoys HS, but it's not for me. I found myself having more fun with the board. When that happened I was like, "Okay, I'm done."  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 2, 2017, 01:55 Kxmode

Holy crap people! Put down the phone and help that family.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2017, 00:01 Kxmode

April showers bring May flowers.
June highs lead to July flies (vacation travel).
August blues turn into September hues.
October spooks transform into November cooks.
I've got nothing for December.

News Comments > Hearthstone Celebrates 70 Million Players
2. Re: Hearthstone Celebrates 70 Million Players May 1, 2017, 23:57 Kxmode

Registered and Active are two entirely different things. At its peak, WOW had close to 13 million active players. Now it's diminished to the point where they no longer report numbers. Hearthstone is the same way. How many are active, and of that amount, how many buy things? That's the real barometer for success. I suspect the real number is MUCH less than this fluffy PR piece makes it out to be. Also, it sounds like Blizzard is trying to get people addicted by giving them their "first hit" for free. Has Activision-Blizzard's marketing gone too far?  

3. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 29, 2017, 21:48 Kxmode

They want to look like peasants. They just don't want to smell like them.  

News Comments > Abandon Ship Trailer
4. Re: Abandon Ship Trailer Apr 29, 2017, 21:43 Kxmode

Was hoping this was a sinking ship survival game kind of like The Poseidon Adventure. That would fascinating.  

1. Re: Into the Black Apr 29, 2017, 00:59 Kxmode

The lazy and rich can now afford to buy a pair of jeans for $425 that looks like you have a dirty job. It's "cosmetics" for men. I'd imagine a person who dates someone purely on stuff like this is just as shallow as the one wearing the jeans. They deserve each other.

"Heavily distressed medium-blue denim jeans in a comfortable straight-leg fit embody rugged, Americana workwear that's seen some hard-working action with a crackled, caked-on muddy coating that shows you're not afraid to get down and dirty."

Shallow and pedantic.

12786 Comments. 640 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo