Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 16051 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2

27. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 22:40 Kxmode

Get your games from GOG, DAMMIT!

So is this now the new battle cry for the lesser of two evils? Do you not realize Steam and GOG have peacefully coexisted for over a decade? I never had a problem with either store. Bought games on both stores and have an active account on both. It's Epic who made 3P exclusivity a thing on PC, and on a platform worse than any other on the market.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 22:31 Kxmode

It's probably worth noting this snippet from a recent interview between GamesIndustry.biz and Rockfish:

"For Schade, that sense of calm and confidence is less comforting than one might expect. Rockfish itself rose from the ashes of his previous company, Fishlabs, which went bankrupt in 2013. Everspace was the first attempt at a PC game from a group of mobile developers fleeing the collapse of the premium market on the app stores. Every scrap of its success was hard won."

Just because something is mobile doesn't automatically mean it'll be successful. Much like cloning a Fortnite or a LOL, or a World of Warcraft, doesn't automatically equal a hit. I think Command & Conquer: Rivals, Diablo: Immortal and even Elder Scrolls Blades not being slum dunks in positive receivership or profitability are a safe hazard one could make.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

News Comments > Op Ed

12. Re: Op Ed Oct 7, 2019, 17:03 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 13:03:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 12:43:
1. It's Games-As-A-Service (GAAS).
2. Diablo 3 isn't a GAAS. Anthem and Fallout 76 are GAAS products.

D3 is actually a GaaS, if the service stops, so does the existence of that game. It's also the one where Blizzard showed you how it will handle Diablo 4, namely by only releasing 1 expansion and not adding anything anyone asks for ever. Like new, fucking, maps and some proper dynamic element of growth with ever escalating siege battles where you fight over the land for example. With generals and troops you can train and equip with your loots.. etc.

Point is, Blizzard ain't got what it takes to even make a good game anymore.

That's not a GAAS. What you're describing is an Always-On DRM. It's "a form of DRM that requires a consumer to remain connected to a server, especially through an internet connection, to use a particular product. The practice is also referred to as persistent online authentication. The technique is meant to prevent copyright infringement of software. Like other DRM methods, always-on DRM has proven controversial, mainly because it has failed to stop pirates from illegally using the product, while causing severe inconvenience to people who bought the product legally." source

The hallmark of GAAS products is a feature-incomplete product with continuous integration/evolution over time. It happens all the time with cloud apps. Very rarely has it happened with launched games. I don't consider early access games as GAAS since they're not released products. Anthem, Fallout 76, and No Man's Sky are three confirmed products that were launch as "completed full products" that were going be built out with features over time (No Man's Sky is probably the first). One example is a version of Anthem's road map with several Acts that is now not listed.

Conversely, Diablo 3 launched as a feature-complete product on May 15, 2012. All Acts were available at launch. Players could play the game through to completion. The Reaper of Souls expansion added additional content, but expansions don't fall under the classified of GAAS.

It's essential not to confuse GAAS with other types like early access, always-on, and beta. It's a very particular type of game that, at the moment, the number of games can be counted on a single-hand.

16. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 16:45 Kxmode

They quite literally tell you in the update the reason why they are not going EGS exclusive.

Further, the point they bring up about eroded trust is on-point. This issue is less about Epic's unethical offers (that's another topic of discussion) and more on publishers for breaking or allegedly breaking promises for a fast buck. The Darq publisher made the point clear that he wants to produce video games to be his career. He knew had he gone EGS exclusive, after establishing momentum on Steam, that would have damaged his brand. Publishers don't seem to understand or care what damage EGS exclusivity can cause to their brand/IP. It can be just as bad as being unprofitable. That's an intangible sunk cost.

TL;DR - You can put down the Grape Kool-Aid. There's no conspiracy theory.

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2019, 12:45 Kxmode

He's camping. That's been around since the 90's.  

News Comments > Op Ed

8. Re: Op Ed Oct 7, 2019, 12:43 Kxmode

1. It's Games-As-A-Service (GAAS).
2. Diablo 3 isn't a GAAS. Anthem and Fallout 76 are GAAS products.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2019, 00:54 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 23:27:
UFOs aren't aliens, they are unidentified flying objects, and even then a lot of them are neither flying, nor objects, but a reflection or shadow or some other shit that no one can be bothered to try and reproduce.

There's a reason that in decades of "UFO sightings" there's never been anything resembling a clear image of a spacecraft or an extraterrestrial lifeform.

I agree.

Tesla is responsible for many technological marvels. He has around 200 patients to his name in several countries. Towards the end of his life, he focused his efforts on creating a source capable of producing "free energy." In a series of blueprints, Tesla depicted an object capable of seating 2-3 people with an anti-gravity system similar to the craft Bob Lazar reversed engineered in the '80s. How unlikely would it have been for the government to confiscate those illustrations after Tesla's death?

What's interesting is the fuel for the ship is reproducible on earth. If these were aliens from another planet, why would they use elements found on our planet to create a fuel source for their ships? They would have manufactured the vessels in their world. Likely they wouldn't have had access to earth's elements or even knew about them before their initial flight. At the time, Bob Lazar didn't know what type of features the Dorito-shaped object contained, but eventually, the Russians were able to reproduce it. The fact that they were able to do that shows the fuel source's elements all exist on earth.

So what I believe happened is shortly after Tesla's death, the government took his blueprints (either in secret or by purchase) and secretly began working on trying to develop the "free energy" technology. Not for the free energy, that could help billions, but for the anti-gravity application much in the same way the government took the Wright's brother invention of flight and repurposed it for military use.

In their efforts, they must have gotten to a point where they needed outside help (in no small part due to the information forever lost in Tesla's mind). So they opened a dialog with other governments (or perhaps wealthy private individuals like Howard Hughes). The "shapes" of these ships over time have changed considerably and show clear iterative improvements to the shell of the craft. That demonstrates the technology has come a LONG way from Tesla's time.

I don't see this as aliens. I see it as a cabal of governments working in concert on an SCI, or SAP-level experimental aviation technology. And of the secretive type that even Commander David Fravor nor his superiors are privileged to know.

Anyhow, that's my take on the matter. There's also a religious reason. I know aliens exist, but they do so in a metaphysical sense, not in physical form. Further, there are too many things in the Bible that would conclusively disprove the existence of an alien species, let alone ones capable of visiting earth. There is currently an on-going universal legal battle over Jehovah God's sovereignty over this planet and humanity (currently under Satan's control as 1 John 5:19 and 2 Corinthians 4:4 denotes). There's no way "visiting aliens" would be allowed to interfere with that court proceeding. There other examples, but I won't get into them here.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2019, 00:34 Kxmode

SunnyD wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 23:26:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 22:01:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 21:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 21:09:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 19:55:
Speaking of "aliens", here's the latest Joe Rogan interview with Cmdr. David Fravor and his encounter with the "tic tac" UFO is shown and discussed in detail:
eye witness accounts are at the bottom of the reliability barrel

By 2 air force pilots with 1 copilot each all telling the same story independently, with high placed government officials involved in an inquiry and his own fighter's camera recording ( operated by his copilot ) as evidence?

There's healthy skepticism and there's... well, whatever you suffered from in that comment before even looking at the video/evidence/testimony.
You ever seen an optical illusion.
Ever notice how astrophysicist's never see ufo's. But you go on and enjoy your little podcast.

Save for the fun fact that these particular illusions were locked by on-board radar of our warfighters looking for trouble during operations, I'd agree with you. Add in the hilarious fun fact that the U.S. Navy recently stated that yes the vids are real, but no, permission was not given for their release.. yea.

Y'know. Save for that, I was was right there with ya.

~Finis~

RedEye's not capable of reasonable and rational thought when presented with facts. It's not unlike his responses to facts about the Epic Game Store. When present with them he tends to label people as crybabies and crusaders, and goes on about how Epic is just a "different colored storefront."

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2019, 20:24 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 14:22:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 14:02:
Joaquin Phoenix on the making of 'Joker'. I created a piece of artwork inspired by JOKER

Well done.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 15:00:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 14:02:
Joaquin Phoenix on the making of 'Joker'. I created a piece of artwork inspired by JOKER
A man of many talents, I see.

Thank you.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2019, 17:11 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 15:08:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2019, 15:03:
We may be closing in on the discovery of alien life. Are we prepared?

The discovery of extraterrestrial microbes would be monumental in science, but barely cause a ripple among the public. It's intelligent life that would really freak people out.

More like a superior intelligence and much more advanced. There's no guarantee if and when we run into them they're going to be nice.

What if the microbes are smarter than humans?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2019, 14:02 Kxmode

News Comments > ArenaNet Co-founder Departs

6. Re: ArenaNet Co-founder Departs Oct 4, 2019, 00:39 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 00:20:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 23:04:
Well, GW2 is 7 years old now... It probably passed the midway point of its lifespan a while ago, regardless of this guy stepping down. By which, I mean it won't be long until it's on skeleton crew life support similar to GW1. They deserve credit for keeping the servers for that one up all this time, for sure. And it doesn't even have all the microtransactions built-in like the sequel.

It has plenty of microtransactions, only the most egregious games are doing things that made players better. Yeah it had its run.

It has those microtransactions because the number of people of playing the game is miniscule. The elite skills packs is very helpful, especially when some of the elite mobs are very hard to solo. The mercenaries pack lets people create custom hero setups that would not be possible with the NPCs. WoodenPotatoes explains and demos how it works.

5. Re: ArenaNet Co-founder Departs Oct 4, 2019, 00:26 Kxmode

Cram wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 21:02:
This is pretty big in the GW2 circle. He was the glue holding this game together, director or not, during the many weird things that has happened over the years. The fallout in the community won't be pretty; the uncertainty in the games future is immeasurable.

People said the same thing when lead concept artist Kekai Kotaki departed. Nothing happened.
People said the same thing when the replacement lead concept artist Daniel Dociu left. Nothing happened.
People said the same thing when community manager lead Gaile Gray left. Nothing happened.
People said the same thing when lore builder and writer Jeff Grubb left. Nothing happened.
People said the same thing when narrative director Ree Soesbee left. Nothing happened.
People said the same thing with game director Colin "trademark smile" Johanson left. Nothing happened.
See the pattern?

Mike said in his message, "Two years ago, when I transitioned away from the Guild Wars 2 game director role to focus on new product development." For the past two years, the game was in the hands of other people. What are the results? My personal opinion is The Path of Fire expansion was significantly better than Heart of Thorns. Today's Living World content is much better is scope, scale, and story, than past living world seasons. All of this happened progressively despite the absence of the significant players above; MO included.

As long as Mike Zadorojny and his team don't do something foolish, the game's trajectory is good. The real concern is NCSoft. They hold Arenanet's keys. If Arenanet isn't meeting NCSoft's goals, NC has the power to close the studio. If that happened, that would suck.

Anyhow, that's my assessment of GW2 both as a fan and looking at all the various pieces in play.

3. Re: ArenaNet Co-founder Departs Oct 4, 2019, 00:08 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 23:04:
Well, GW2 is 7 years old now... It probably passed the midway point of its lifespan a while ago, regardless of this guy stepping down. By which, I mean it won't be long until it's on skeleton crew life support similar to GW1. They deserve credit for keeping the servers for that one up all this time, for sure. And it doesn't even have all the microtransactions built-in like the sequel.

Technology wise, sure. Gameplay and story, absolutely not. Course you would know this if you actually played the game.

News Comments > Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA

8. Re: Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA Oct 2, 2019, 23:08 Kxmode

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 22:03:
Dear mom,

Today, I avoided another phishing scam...

Highfive

News Comments > Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA

1. Re: Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA Oct 2, 2019, 19:36 Kxmode

THAT'S A PASS!

Please, EA. You know for a fact you don't care about security. You're doing it to get people hooked on your "GameFlix" service.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released

18. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released Oct 2, 2019, 19:28 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 15:01:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 14:30:
The $60 pricing model isn't as profitable today as it may have been when it became the standard a decade ago. That's the gist of my point.

We don't live in a vacuum and we can't just rewind time and apply different parameters but I doubt that a $60 base game + $30 expansion business model would really cause existential crises among the big publishers.

It doesn't make sense to get too fixated on that $60 price point anyway. Yes, the price for a full price game has stayed the same for many years now but it is more complex than that because the market has also grown. That $60 gets multiplied by a much larger "x" than a few years ago so that's why price parity is economically viable.
For example, the PS4 has sold over 100 million units now with a good year still to go in its lifetime while the PS3 ended at ~90 million sales.

Anyway, my point was that we definitely should be careful before blindly regurgitating the questionable "we have to milk you guys with MTX and DLC and season passes or else we would all die" fairytales. The numbers don't lie. The publishers are doing very well and it seems like they could definitely tone it down a little.

Regarding the subject at hand, Breakpoint, I'm fine with cosmetics and skins but I wish they would drop the ability to buy items and currency as well as get rid of the in-game advertising for real-life clothing brands. As I said, I also wish there would be a fair complete bundle for people primarily interested in single player content only. The $40/year passes are a ripoff and if Wildlands is any indication I also think that the value hardly gets much shittier.

Expansions cost money to produce. Perhaps not as high as the base game, but there's a cost. You also keep bringing up unit sales as a reason for why a $60 game without MTX should be doable. As stated in a previous comment, several factors make that possible for a publisher like CDPR. The cost of doing business in Poland, coupled with selling products to more affluent countries are likely huge contributors. (Source:

US's per capita GDP* is 8th
Canada's per capita GDP* is 18th
UK's per capita GDP* is 21st

versus

Poland's per capita GDP* is 54th

*based on the average rank in the IMF, World Bank, and the UN)

Regarding "we don't live in a vacuum and we can't just rewind time and apply different parameters," with all due respect that is somewhat oxymoronic. We can apply "different parameters" to past and present numbers to arrive at logical conclusions as long as the variables are relative constants. Data scientists do it all the time to create forecasts.

The constants mentioned in my previous comment include:

1. The cost of the game then and now,
2. The high price of producing video games,
3. The annually increasing costs to create video games,
4. The platforms who take their cut, and lastly,
5. The number of staff a big publisher has (salaries can be estimated)

Those eat into the gross, which ultimately arrives at the net difference (in simplistic terms; obviously there's a great deal more that eats into gross).

re: "my point was that we definitely should be careful before blindly regurgitating the questionable "we have to milk you guys with MTX and DLC and season passes or else we would all die" fairytales."

It can be challenging to have a conversation with someone when their mind comprehends the other's person's comments as the above. Not to put too fine a point on but that's NOT what I wrote, and you should stop doing it. It devalues your points.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2019, 19:40.

News Comments > EVERSPACE 2 Kickstarter

6. Re: EVERSPACE 2 Kickstarter Oct 2, 2019, 15:02 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 14:11:
lol @ space game on Kickstarter

The devs can thank a certain Mr. Roberts (to be fair among a few other devs but mainly the cult leader) for not getting muh moolah.

What is your mind made of?

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released

16. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released Oct 2, 2019, 14:36 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 13:57:
Video games are expensive to make.... game developers making record revenues, game dev/publisher CEO & top level personnel are pocketing 8-digits salaries... and you guys are ok current AAA titles have these shit features....

Are you guys really that stupid to agree "expensive" AAA titles cannot make profit without microtransactions and loot box mechanics??

Numbers don't lie. Publicly traded companies, of which most of the big publishers happen to be, have to share their information every year. The data they provide paints an image of an industry at a crossroad. The cost of producing a video game is high. It's no coincidence that there was an up-tick of MTXs in the 2010s.

15. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint Microtransactions Revealed and Launch Trailer Released Oct 2, 2019, 14:30 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 11:39:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 04:52:
Everyone knows video games are expensive to make. The costs go up every year, and yet blockbuster games have sold for $60 for over the past decade. Also, the distribution platforms take their cut (Steam with 30% and EGS with 12%), so they make less. Remember the kerfuffle when the price jumped up to $59.99? Remember how long blockbuster games sold for $49.99? Today people complain about microtransactions, but they forget how much money it takes to make a game. There are only two choices: pay $60 and deal with MTX (publisher looking to be more profitable with their investment) or you pay more and not have MTX. You can't have it both ways. I'd rather pay $100 and not have microtransactions.

Yeah, cry me a river or two. Everyone also knows that many of the big publishers are posting record revenues as UbiSoft did here.
Same for EA and Actiblizz by the way, though 2019 is expected to be slightly weaker than the record-breaking 2018 (console transition year slump and fears of a recession).

The two billion is gross revenue. Net revenue is where Ubisoft made a profit after the cost of goods, expenses, depreciation and amortization, interest, and taxes paid. According to their 2018 annual report they made ~$152M. That's a far cry from the billion your touting. Further, Ubi employs close to 16,000 people worldwide. Look at the 2018 financials (1.04B) and employee count (9,300 employees) of EA. Comparatively, it costs Ubi significantly more to produce games today. Ubisoft's focus on single-player experiences with lesser egregious MTXs is the reason for the discrepancy.

Conversely, EA goes all out on egregious microtransactions, and their numbers reflect that. No doubt, Ubi has decided to follow suit with Ghost Recon because they've seen how profitable MTX can be. The $60 pricing model isn't as profitable today as it may have been when it became the standard a decade ago. That's the gist of my point.

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2019, 11:39:
I don't have a problem with the record revenues per se. If gamers are gullible enough to suck up Ubishit's business model by buying MTX galore and buying a $40 pass every single fucking year then fine but let us stop pretending like it is an existential necessity for UbiSoft et al. It's obviously not.

That's an interesting point, but an entirely separate thought. My post is about how willing consumers are to spend more on blockbuster video games so that publishers can remove gameplay compromising MTXs.

16051 Comments. 803 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >