Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 16186 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

95. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 03:35 Kxmode

patience grasshoppers  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

General Discussion > Feedback on responsive layout

53. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 03:26 Kxmode

See many of you expressing concerns about the font size. Is the zoom in your browser set to something other than 100%?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

News Comments > AO Tennis 2 in January

2. Re: AO Tennis 2 in January Nov 8, 2019, 03:25 Kxmode

Created a trello ticket to make videos responsive  

52. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 02:13 Kxmode

Rhialto wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:11:
On PC it's true that the menu on the left can be larger than before depending on resolution but it's not an annoyance to me. What's ugly though is the "Compacti" font used for sections like STORIES OF NOTE, POPULAR THREADS, etc. Should be a quick fix to change that bitmap font for a scalable one.

That was chosen as the closest webfont I could find that looked like the image headlines. Does anyone have another font in mind?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 16:42 Kxmode

Pick up Planet Zoo last night. It's rough and unoptimized in areas*, but what an amazing game it is. If I had this game as a kid, I would be so happy. I mean I am now, but I can see my younger self going nuts for it.

*on my 8800/2080Ti/32GB RAM setup, I experience unusual lag

one of my recently born bengal tiger cubs being playful https://youtu.be/EXX_tYbd7Dc

News Comments > etc.

19. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2019, 16:28 Kxmode

On a list of the worse things, a congressman shaming Blizzard for Letting Nazis Run Wild in 'World of Warcraft' is near the top. And by worse, I mean facepalm-wrong on so many levels.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 15:25 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 14:49:
Mugging a Goose.

Untitled Goose Mugging?

Duck Duck Loose!

47. Re: Front page zoom on Android. Nov 7, 2019, 15:21 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 13:50:
On my galaxy S10, the front page doesn't wrap if I zoom in. So while the whole page fits on the default view, it's too small for me to read, and if I zoom in, it makes me scroll from side to side.

Not a huge deal, I don't read it from my cell that often, but figured I'd mention it.

Frans could you add a task for me to Trello to create a simple Javascript text-resizing button?

89. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 15:14 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:06:
Blue wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:37:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:34:
Blizzard Adds President Xi To 'Overwatch' Roster.

As if you needed any more reason to boycott ActiBlizz.

When you have to say this, you *know* you've made the wrong choice:

Blizzard has denied that the move was made to appease China.

To be clear, that's a satirical article.

Poe's Law. I'd never heard of BabylonBee.

It's The Onion's second cousin, twice removed.

22. Re: Small Tweaks Nov 6, 2019, 16:13 Kxmode

Staunch wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:13:
Just loaded it up on desktop.

The sidebar width could be adjusted with this CSS to make it a bit narrower on wide screens:

#left-menu { max-width: 230px; }

That will widen the main content area to fill the extra space.

On desktop it definitely feels more "normal, like the old style" to me at 90% zoom, but I'd definitely get used to the current sizing of text.

We use Bootstrap to create a "grided" layout.

On the desktop, the side menu uses a grid size of 2 (which translates into 16.666667%), and the main content area uses a grid size of 10 (which translates into 83.333333%). Together, those values equal to 100%. We would not want to change the width to an absolute pixel value as that would create scale-ability issues.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 16:05 Kxmode

Frans wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:57:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:44:
MeanJim wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:37:
There' a slight problem on the forums too. The text box where you compose messages is now only resizable vertically. The font in the text box seems bigger too. The text box was always too small, but it wasn't a problem since you could resize it, but now that I can't make it wider, it's so cramped composing messages

This is caused by Bootstrap. Frans, if you add the following to styles.css, this should override their setting.

textarea { resize:both; }
Done.

Thank you, kind sir. MeanJim, you should now be able to resize the textarea field as you wish.

21. No subject Nov 6, 2019, 16:04 Kxmode

Frans wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:47:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:32:
The ad provider serves a traditional desktop banner ad on the phone between days (It has the 468x70-ish size that doesn't work well on phones). Can they change this, on phones, to the interstitial ad?
No, this banner isn't from the ad provider, it's Blue's affiliation banner with Amazon. It can be addressed another way, but not today anymore.

I see. Perhaps I can look into the script to see if there's a way to add the Bootstrap wrapper code around the image so that it can become responsive.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 15:57 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 08:17:
On desktop, it's uncanny-valleying me. It looks so close, but kind of like an off-brand knockoff. Which is ridiculous, but something about the teal bar is different, and the underlines are gone from (obvious) links.

It's not worse, just so close yet slightly different. Not at all a complaint, within 24 hours it'll feel normal. Right now, it's just entertaining that it doesn't. Even the Preview and Edit Comment buttons look different to me, which probably makes me insane.

Pixel-perfect conversion from a desktop-only design to fully responsive is difficult. So instead, we focused on keeping as much of the old design as possible, while modernizing the site. It's a happy medium full of compromises.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 15:44 Kxmode

MeanJim wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:37:
There' a slight problem on the forums too. The text box where you compose messages is now only resizable vertically. The font in the text box seems bigger too. The text box was always too small, but it wasn't a problem since you could resize it, but now that I can't make it wider, it's so cramped composing messages

This is caused by Bootstrap. Frans, if you add the following to styles.css, this should override their setting.

textarea { resize:both; }

19. Re: new format. Nov 6, 2019, 15:36 Kxmode

opie wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:05:
bring back black background. white/yellow on blue sucks for the eyes.

That's part of the legacy system. You'll need to click on it in the menu to tell the updated system to use that theme.

18. No subject Nov 6, 2019, 15:32 Kxmode

The ad provider serves a traditional desktop banner ad on the phone between days (It has the 468x70-ish size that doesn't work well on phones). Can they change this, on phones, to the interstitial ad?  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 15:26 Kxmode

Frans wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:10:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:55:
That's caused by the ad on the bottom. Stephen, Frans, I recommend disabling that ad on phones until we can identify and resolve the issue.
This was a duplicate report, but since the ad provider didn't fix it yet, disabling it is a fair measure. Done.

One more issue. They're serving a desktop banner ad on mobile in between days. It has the 468x70-ish size that doesn't work well on phones. Can they change this, on phones, to the interstitial ad?

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 15:17 Kxmode

I'm glad to read so many positive thoughts on the new layout. I also see all your concerns. I think it would help to provide a bit of context so you understand why things look the way they do in the new template.

First, keeping as much as the old design as possible was my primary consideration for the new template. I knew that because it is a brand new, responsive template, it wasn't going to be a pixel-perfect recreation. So Frans and I spent a great deal of time to get it as close to old design as possible. Think "modern, old-school."

Frans and I can continue to iterate upon and make improvements from your feedback. However, do realize that while the old website only concerned itself with desktop screens, today's Blues News now works across MANY devices. So we have to factor in that when making updates. Together, we can make the site better.

Thank you to Frans for your tireless efforts in modernizing the codebase (you have no idea how much work he did). A big thanks for Stephen for putting faith in myself and Frans to make this a reality, and a hearty thanks to Ant, JDreyer, and j.c.f. for their contributions. Last but not least, thank you for your feedback now and in the future.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 14:55 Kxmode

Rhialto wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:12:
Nice! But a few things to fix... on my phone I see unused space on the right... https://i.imgur.com/YhWaLEz.png ... is it because of the ad at the bottom?

On PC it's true that the menu on the left can be larger than before depending on resolution but it's not an annoyance to me. What's ugly though is the "Compacti" font used for sections like STORIES OF NOTE, POPULAR THREADS, etc. Should be a quick fix to change that bitmap font for a scalable one.

That's caused by the ad on the bottom. Stephen, Frans, I recommend disabling that ad on phones until we can identify and resolve the issue.

News Comments > The Sims Earnings Pass $5 Billion

19. Re: The Sims Earnings Pass $5 Billion Nov 5, 2019, 15:59 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 01:05:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 18:02:
Make sure you use fire. That's the only way to survive.
Heh, reminds me of a story on This American Life from a few weeks ago. The mother of the family was addicted to The Sims. So much so that she would make the kids do all the housework so she could play. She slept in the computer room so she could get up early in the morning and play right away. The daughter got so frustrated with her mother that she snuck into the computer room in the middle of the night while her mother slept on the floor. She logged in, walked the daughter character out of the house, barricaded the rest of the Sim family inside, and burned the place to the ground, killing everyone inside. Funny story, and cautionary tale.

Her reaction

16186 Comments. 810 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >