Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Here's my full communication with CIG requesting a refund. http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs This contains eye opening evidence.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 11731 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2016, 16:37 Kxmode

Today is Homemade Bread Day and National Baklava Day! Enjoy!  

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2016, 15:15 Kxmode

saluk wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 14:10:
It's so good.

Absolutely! I could see myself buying a Vive for that. I love exploring.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2016, 13:28 Kxmode

Google Earth VR. Now that could be a killer app!  

News Comments > SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 16, 2016, 18:26 Kxmode

NetHead wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 11:22:
Killer apps don't appear out of nowhere and drive the general masses to go buy the hardware required for them (if such things were the case we would all own each console, a PC, and phone for each platform).

It's not as if these are the first home consoles ever, accessible for the average income Joe, where it would be the only way to access "gaming" at home or go without. It also has the problem of each player requiring that expensive headset while spectators get virtually nothing out of it.

It's the other way round. Killer apps come about because the majority, or at least a hell of a lot of people, can already run them with that they have.

I think it would be helpful to identify what a killer app is because you and I are not talking about the same thing. Wikipedia's article correctly defines what it is. "In marketing terminology, a killer application (commonly shortened to killer app) is any computer program that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology, such as computer hardware, gaming console, software, a programming language, software platform, or an operating system. In other words, consumers would buy the (usually expensive) hardware just to run that application. A killer app can substantially increase sales of the platform on which it runs."

An app does not become a killer app as the result of a majority of people having the hardware or technology to run the app. That is literally not what a killer app is. As the definition above notes, only when a piece of software becomes so desirable that it pushes people to buy usually expensive hardware is a killer app born. AFAIK there has never been a case where a killer app came about in the manner you have stated. It alway happens in the way the definition states otherwise, it can't be a killer app. If suddenly a ton of people bought PS4+VR to play Eagle Flight, then Eagle Flight would be considered a killer app.

Things which end up being runaway ridiculously successful do so because they are accessible, be it Farmville on a webpage, Angry Birds on a phone or Minecraft on even an old lowly PC. None of which would have become killer apps with an entry barrier of many $100s, people already had the means to play them.

Farmville, Angry Birds, and Minecraft are not killer apps. They never pushed sales of hardware or new technology; at least not yet. The vast majority of people don't buy iPhones to play Angry Birds. Now, if Microsoft's Hololens comes with an Hololens augmented version of Minecraft that pushes Hololens sales then Minecraft AR can be classified as a killer app.

No single app/program/game alone, is going to get the masses to fork out loads of money and start strapping TVs to their face. For a start it would take a plethora of games/media in different genres together covering almost every desire and preference that the variety of people have.

No single app/program/game alone is going to get the masses to fork out loads of money? Really?

+ The 1980 Atari VCS port Space Invaders quadrupled sales of the then three-year-old console
+ Star Raiders, released in 1979, was considered to be the killer app for the Atari 400/800 computers
+ The port of Donkey Kong was the killer app for the ColecoVision console in 1982
+ The Legend of Zelda was the killer app for the original NES
+ Phantasy Star II was a killer app for Sega Genesis
+ John Madden Football's popularity in 1990 helped the Genesis gain market share against the Super Nintendo
+ Sonic the Hedgehog was hailed as a killer app as it revived sales of the (by then) three-year-old Genesis
+ Street Fighter II became a system-seller for the Super NES when it was ported to the platform in 1992
+ Myst and The 7th Guest, both released in 1993, drove adoption of CD-ROM drives for personal computers
+ Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time could be considered killer apps for the Nintendo 64
+ the MiniGL version of Quake is typically considered the killer app for 3dfx's Voodoo Graphics 3D accelerator card for home computers
+ Halo is considered to be the killer app for the Xbox console
+ Final Fantasy 7 is considered to be the killer app for Playstation
+ Tetris is considered the killer app for the Game Boy
+ Grand Theft Auto III is considered the killer app for the PlayStation 2
+ Super Smash Bros. Melee is considered the killer app for the GameCube

Even then we still need to talk price.

Are you referring to app price or hardware price? Because, again, as the definition states a killer app is born when it pushes consumers to "buy the (usually expensive) hardware just to run that application." In this case, talking about price is almost always related to the hardware (e.g. killer VR app vs Rift retail price).

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2016, 18:36.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rescale Beta
5. Re: American Truck Simulator Rescale Beta Nov 16, 2016, 17:28 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 12:13:
We are now using Lambert conformal conic projection (LCC) instead of Mercator projection

Well! I mean... who DOESN'T?! DUH!

I'm not saying aliens, but you know... aliens.

10. Re: SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support Nov 15, 2016, 19:34 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 16:48:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 14:14:
Remember 3D TVs? That had great potential, but it didn't last long.

I've never heard that one.

Here's what I see are the current issues, a couple competing options from 3rd rate consumer electronic developers (HTC taking direction from Valve). Here's my issues with that:

1. Obviously we want something to be the standard and compatible.
2. These two 3rd rate consumer electronic developers don't know how to make something mainstream the standard way. For example, I get V1 being high priced. But they needed to have a much cheaper V2 on its heels. I'm not sure they are on a cycle like that. This right now is like the first BluRay player being $1000 and if nothing followed behind it in reasonable time, doa. But those that do this for a living got the whale money, but had generations of next steps and plans. I'm not sure Oculus and Valve work in this manner. If everyone continues to produce games even without a large market perhaps we can weather the storm. But I can tell you if we knew there was a $400 vive coming out this Christmas, with a $250 Vive coming out next year etc... that would get this segment hoping. My guess is too many are on the sidelines waiting for V2 and a price drop, that is how consumer electronics typically work. They are niche'ing the shit out of it right now. Open your fat ass wallet boyz.

I don't think the lack of standards is the problem. We had tech battles like Cassette vs. CD, VHS vs. Beta, VHS vs. LaserDisc, and Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD. The problem is demand. There is simply not enough demand for VR in any form (PC and Console). The bottom line is the lack of any killer app that transforms VR from a niche curiosity into a gotta-have device. Case in point, I was in a GameStop and saw the PlayStation VR games. The only one that caught my interest was Eagle Flight, but it was not enough to get me to drop $400 on a PS4+VR.

Droves of people are always willing to drop a lot of money on new tech (e.g. iPhone), but there has to be a reason to want it in the first place. Sony, Oculus, Facebook, HTC, and Valve have done horrible jobs marketing their products. They haven't explained to the general public why they should get VR. For all the money early adopters spend this can only extend the life of new technology, but it can never transform it into appliance like an iPhone. At least not until a killer app exists.

It's the chicken and the egg scenario. Which is more important? The tech or the app. I would argue the app is always more important. That's the thing that creates the demand. Without it, blossoming new technology will wither and die.

Here's a link to a Forbes article talking about 3D tvs and VR.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 15:17 Kxmode

I'm pretty sure "A HA - TAKE ON ME - POOPYFLUTED" gave me cancer or cavities. I can't be sure. Thanks, nin!  

6. Re: SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support Nov 15, 2016, 14:14 Kxmode

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 13:29:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 13:02:
Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 11:49:
Venture Capital money.

Interesting. How long is the honeymoon going to last before investors demand a return on their investment?

That's a fair question. Currently VR is either "too expensive" (Vive/Rift, and also bullshit), or not exactly top notch (PSVR). There IS no killer app, as devs are still tinkering with what basic mechanics work, and are fun. Motion controllers change EVERYTHING, and current locomotion options leave a lot to be desired.

It's a hard sell, for sure. The Vive NEVER fails to amaze, but the setup required is daunting, and there are still some weird showstoppers, like how The Lab refuses to let another program run after you close it. VR is enthusiast-ready, but this generation of gear is NOT ready for Joe Moron. And that's before looking at software, which has only a handful of "full size" titles so far.

But this is a tech that has incredible potential, and can swallow a user at a level you can't imagine until you try it. It's difficult to NOT be excited about it once you've experienced it, and once a reasonable function of locomotion is sorted out, it's going to open up an incredible range of games. and THAT is when investors will start looking for returns on investment.

Remember 3D TVs? That had great potential, but it didn't last long. There was no killer app driving people to pick it up. It was a novelty at best but not worth the cost. I'm giving VR another 6-8 months before it dies. A killer app really needs to be released in the next few months that'll force people to blindly spend $700, $1,000 (VR + video card upgrade), or $1,500 (VR + brand new system).

4. Re: SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support Nov 15, 2016, 13:02 Kxmode

Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 11:49:
Venture Capital money.

Interesting. How long is the honeymoon going to last before investors demand a return on their investment?

2. Re: SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support Nov 15, 2016, 11:47 Kxmode

Still no killer app. I'm not sure what's driving VR this cycle.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Patch Plans
27. Re: Dishonored 2 Patch Plans Nov 14, 2016, 11:16 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 12:04:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 04:28:
I saw on a couple Twitch streams yesterday some really bad framerate issues. Shouldn't be happening on a AAA cross-platform launch title in 2016. Total Biscuit stated there was definitely performance problems with it.

And TB has one of the flat out best optimized rigs in the youtube scene... if he has performance issues, then the game is broken.. amazing that Bethesda still manages to do this kind of bad release nowadays.

In all fairness, Arkane Studios developed D2. Beth only published it. I would say Arkane Studios is responsible for ensuring smooth PC performance.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Patch Plans
23. Re: Dishonored 2 Patch Plans Nov 13, 2016, 04:28 Kxmode

Phasenoise wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 19:27:
I think people are really going out of their way to be annoyed.

It's a really great game. Dial down the settings a notch and enjoy the crap out of it.

I saw on a couple Twitch streams yesterday some really bad framerate issues. Shouldn't be happening on a AAA cross-platform launch title in 2016. Total Biscuit stated there was definitely performance problems with it.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2016, 04:25 Kxmode

I think the MMO genre is dead. I don't mean dead right now, but AFAIK no major publisher is producing them; with the exception of Blizzard. Most of the MMOS coming later this year and next all come from greater Asia. China is dumping a ton of money in them.  

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 22:29 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:55:
Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:41:
Markets at record high! hahahahah
It's not all roses, gambling is still gambling. Watch "The Big Short"
http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/YHOO?ltr=1

I take issue with your statement and here's why. There is a huge difference between gambling and investing. One uses random chance; the other relies on analytical stats.

There is a reason publically traded companies are required by SEC laws to work within a legal framework and to report their numbers every quarter. These laws primarily protect investors. The information provided is made public, and the results of the company's actions are seen in the stock's performance hourly, daily, weekly and yearly. All of this happens because of a massive network of analytical data. Empirical evidence helps you, and I make wise decisions for our short-term and long-term investment dollars.

Gambling, in all its forms, relies solely on random outcomes. There is a reason why gambling charts do not exist. It would be tough to predict an outcome based on an RNG system. Moreover, while "odds" provide some form of analytical evidence they can never be as good as traditional, non-gambling based investing.

Lastly, I will make this one point. I have yet to meet one person who has said, "I gambled my way to retirement." I have, however, met plenty of individuals who retired because of wise investing.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 22:05 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 20:00:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:37:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 18:27:
nin wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:29:
I can't wait for blizzard to stomp them out again.
Stomp, bankrupt, etc.
Lawyers love shit like this, easy money.

Well, considering Blizzard Legal is part of Blizzard, those lawyers would actually be doing the job they are paid to do. But don't let facts like that get in the way of your cliched viewpoints.
I somehow doubt Blizzard Legal will be covering Nostalrius and Elysium legal fees, hows that for cliched. Or are facts like this a little too hard for you to fathom.

The words you use and how you use them are critical. Case in point, your use of "easy money." You have to know that attaching those two words to lawyers elicits several interpretations. For me "easy money" implied Blizzard would not use their legal department and instead hire a legal team specifically to go after the Nost and Elysium folks. This team would determine the case to be open-and-shut leading to minimal effort for the firm's standard legal fees. Thus, the response I gave.

However, you interpret "easy money" to mean Blizzard is going to make money, or rather recoup their legal costs, from a small group of people who ran a non-profit server. I find it hard to understand how this is "easy money". From a financial decision, it seems like it would cost Blizzard more, especially when you consider they embraced legacy/vanilla through dialog with Mark Kern and the Nost team in separate meetings.

Since we both had different interpretations of what "easy money" meant, I do find it interesting that we chose to use the words facts in our replies. A fascinating study in conversation.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:45 Kxmode

Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:41:
Markets at record high! hahahahah

OMG! I know right?! I'm looking at my accounts and grinning.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:44 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:37:
Stomp, bankrupt, etc.
Lawyers love shit like this, easy money.

Well, considering Blizzard Legal is part of Blizzard, those lawyers would actually be doing the job they are paid to do. But don't let facts like that get in the way of your cliched viewpoints.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:38 Kxmode

Redmask wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 18:54:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:27:
Even though Blizzard was mute on legacy servers; it is going to happen anyhow! Nostalrius and Elysium have pledged to ignore any legal shutdown requests from Blizzard. The host likely will too.

You are incredibly naive if you think people are going to ignore the lawyers and risk their livelihood because you can't let get go of nostalgia.

Those are Elysium and Nost's assurances. That's their response to Blizz for treating the Nost team with complete disrespect for all the stuff they did, including Battle.net Vanilla integration... basically for free. They were willing to do all the work so that no Legion devs would be taken off the Retail game. Blizzard ignored their efforts and offers.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:34 Kxmode

Stomp, bankrupt, etc.

That's cute.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 15:30 Kxmode

I can't wait for blizzard to stomp them out again. :)

They can try. Popcorn

11731 Comments. 587 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo