Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 16051 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

General Discussion > Responsive layout

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 19:05 Kxmode

Rhialto wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 14:40:
Ant wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 13:24:
So far, that test site seems to work on my ends.
Test site?

That's our private URL for internal testing.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 19:00 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 18:41:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 17:55:
The trust is shattered. This plane is toast. No one will want to ride in it.
If it is ever allowed back into service, which it probably will be, I doubt there will be any issues with flyers refusing to fly on it. Most (I'd guess 90+%) of the traveling public have no idea what model of aircraft they are flying on. After the MAX is no longer in the headlines, the general public will totally forget about it.

That said, I personally feel it should not be allowed to return to service. Or more accurately, before I would think it should be allowed, someone needs to convince me it isn't a fundamentally flawed aircraft. I don't think anyone can do that, but I might be wrong and I'm willing to listen to the arguments...

My comment was more accurate to the point. "Even if they put 737 MAXs back into operation, how many people want to fly in those things? Trust is eroded at best and wholly gone at worse." I'm not making an absolute claim of "trust is shattered." I am merely pointing out the levels of mistrust. Even people who "don't care" will still have concerns, hence the mistrust. To this day, although AMTRAK hasn't been in the news recently with derailment accidents, I still mistrust their trains.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 16:07 Kxmode

Text messages show Boeing employees knew in 2016 of problems that turned deadly on the 737 Max

- "One text message with a misspelling said the feature was engaging 'itself like craxy.' Another termed the problem 'egregious.'"

- Another indicated that the Boeing employees misled the Federal Aviation Administration. "So I basically lied to the regulators (unknowingly)," read one message.

FAA administrator Steve Dickson said in a letter to Boeing Friday: "I expect your explanation immediately."

Boeing said in a statement that it had provided Congress a document "containing statements by a former Boeing employee." The company said it "will continue to cooperate" with an investigation by the House Transportation Committee and "we will continue to follow the direction of the FAA and other global regulators, as we work to safely return the 737 MAX to service."

That last statement "work to safely return" tells me Boeing believes this is just business-as-usual. I'm pretty confident airliners are looking elsewhere for planes. Even if they put 737 MAXs back into operation, how many people want to fly in those things? Trust is eroded at best and wholly gone at worse.

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Specs and Launch Trailer

4. Re: The Outer Worlds Specs and Launch Trailer Oct 18, 2019, 13:36 Kxmode

System Requirements for The Outer Worlds

Minimum

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 or AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti or AMD HD 7850
HDD Space: 40GB
Required Platform: Epic Games Store

Recommended

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K or Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or Radeon RX 470
HDD Space: 40GB
Required Platform: Epic Games Store

General Discussion > Responsive layout

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 02:47 Kxmode

Ant wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 21:53:
Keep the old fast old school design please though. I still check BN with a text web browser once in a while like Lynx.

No plans to change the new design. We're working hard to try and keep all the little details (PI) you love Ant in place.

*pun intended

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2019, 19:05 Kxmode

Signs is the story about a late 13th-century warrior and his insane clown brother using water to defend their farm from crop-circle aliens.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Delayed

7. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Delayed Oct 16, 2019, 20:55 Kxmode

You all sound very salty. Vampires like sodium in their diet.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Delayed

1. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Delayed Oct 16, 2019, 18:27 Kxmode

"Like vampires, delays suck" Classic wit, Stephen.  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 03:06 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 18:54:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 17:48:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 10:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 10:37:
Only a Billion a year is spent on denying climate change. Furious2

"Climate Change". What kind of fucking term is that?

It used to be called "Global Warming" but of course that wasn't broad enough to try and get people on board with new science of world temperature. Climate tracking in +95% of the world has only been around 150 years which is a very very small sample size. England started mid 1600's but nothing was agreed upon in scales until around ~1720.

Is the temperature rising? Sure. Are people 100% responsible? Could be.. could not be. This could be part of natural cycles. I hate this fucking term of "Climate Change". The climate is ALWAYS changing.

Modeling software used to predict client change is only as good as the data it has to work with, as well as how well-written it is. I think making grandiose statements about fundamental changes to the climate from a data size of 150 years is irresponsible science when the earth is over four billion years old. The sample size is inadequate to provide accurate information. Also, applications are susceptible to human error.

Have scientists been able to retrieve weather records going further back from other sources or are they working in a vacuum on time?

Gosh, it's too bad they can't ascertain that sort of data from, oh I don't know...ice core samples and other geological data. Yeah, they're just making it all up to create work for themselves. There's just no possible way we can measure any of this stuff since the beginning of industrialization. And there's no such thing as carbon or methane. They're just made up too. In fact there's no such thing as gravity and the earth is flat and alchemy and phrenology are the only real science there is. Yeah it's all fiction, except for your invisible sky wizard of course.
Rolleyes

I'm just asking questions.

News Comments > Divinity: Fallen Heroes Falls; Development on Hold

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 02:51 Kxmode

Wait. They were taking preorders?  

News Comments > Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2019, 17:59 Kxmode

They wrote "Over the next few hours, impacted users will be un-suspended, but 1 quit away from suspension." That sounds like a one-strike-your-out policy. Hence my original question.  

News Comments > On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans

25. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 15, 2019, 17:51 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 03:54:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 23:34:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 20:16:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 19:04:
The thing is VR, not AR, is the best enhancement for a flight simulator.

That's not at all clear on the basis of first-gen headsets. Some issues:
* VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor. This renders instruments and displays harder to read and, in a combat sim, other planes and ground targets harder to distinguish. This was my number one complaint with trying out an Oculus with DCS: it was felt comparable to downgrading back to a 1080p display.
* Peripherals become harder to use. I do not have an extensive peripheral setup, just the Warthog HOTAS, but the switch panel integrated into the base of the throttle was basically unusable without taking both hands off the controls, using one to raise the headset a bit, and then glancing down with my peripheral vision to manipulate a switch with my other hand. The fact that the switch panel was rendered in game was little help unless the switch I wanted was at the edge of the panel.
* Head tracking has been a solved problem for about 15 years thanks to TrackIR and VR offers little real improvement. TrackIR isn't perfect, but once you have well calibrated input curves, and so long as direct sunlight isn't shining into the tracker's FoV, then it works very well.

What VR has to offer over a standard setup is immersion and depth perception, but right now it is simply less usable than the alternatives, albeit still a really cool experience. As the displays improve, I could see VR eventually becoming preferable to a 4k monitor + TrackIR. Until then though, it's a tough sell for a hobby where you never have enough pixel density.

2. I'm sorry, but your statement that "VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor" is wrong, and here's why. Valve's Index "uses a 14401600 LCD panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 28801600." 4K-UHD is 38402160 (this is the more common resolution for gamings) and true 4K 40962160 (this is the more common 4K resolution for movies and broadcasts). The index gives you a screen dimension that is 1000560 less than 4K-UHD. When you're eyes see an image at 28801600, you will notice the better visual fidelity.

2. SMA said that VR headsets have less resolution than a 4K monitor, you said that's wrong, then you provided stats that 4K monitors have higher resolution than VR! Help me understand.

I highlighted the related comment above. It's not about "4K" per-say. It's about having a high pixel density that produces a high clarity image when positioned so close to the eyes. SMA wrote current VR headsets aren't capable of producing this. I disagree.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2019, 17:48 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 10:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 10:37:
Only a Billion a year is spent on denying climate change. Furious2

"Climate Change". What kind of fucking term is that?

It used to be called "Global Warming" but of course that wasn't broad enough to try and get people on board with new science of world temperature. Climate tracking in +95% of the world has only been around 150 years which is a very very small sample size. England started mid 1600's but nothing was agreed upon in scales until around ~1720.

Is the temperature rising? Sure. Are people 100% responsible? Could be.. could not be. This could be part of natural cycles. I hate this fucking term of "Climate Change". The climate is ALWAYS changing.

Modeling software used to predict client change is only as good as the data it has to work with, as well as how well-written it is. I think making grandiose statements about fundamental changes to the climate from a data size of 150 years is irresponsible science when the earth is over four billion years old. The sample size is inadequate to provide accurate information. Also, applications are susceptible to human error.

Have scientists been able to retrieve weather records going further back from other sources or are they working in a vacuum on time?

14. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 14, 2019, 23:34 Kxmode

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 20:16:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 19:04:
The thing is VR, not AR, is the best enhancement for a flight simulator.

That's not at all clear on the basis of first-gen headsets. Some issues:
* VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor. This renders instruments and displays harder to read and, in a combat sim, other planes and ground targets harder to distinguish. This was my number one complaint with trying out an Oculus with DCS: it was felt comparable to downgrading back to a 1080p display.
* Peripherals become harder to use. I do not have an extensive peripheral setup, just the Warthog HOTAS, but the switch panel integrated into the base of the throttle was basically unusable without taking both hands off the controls, using one to raise the headset a bit, and then glancing down with my peripheral vision to manipulate a switch with my other hand. The fact that the switch panel was rendered in game was little help unless the switch I wanted was at the edge of the panel.
* Head tracking has been a solved problem for about 15 years thanks to TrackIR and VR offers little real improvement. TrackIR isn't perfect, but once you have well calibrated input curves, and so long as direct sunlight isn't shining into the tracker's FoV, then it works very well.

What VR has to offer over a standard setup is immersion and depth perception, but right now it is simply less usable than the alternatives, albeit still a really cool experience. As the displays improve, I could see VR eventually becoming preferable to a 4k monitor + TrackIR. Until then though, it's a tough sell for a hobby where you never have enough pixel density.

1. Augmented reality means you're looking at a three-dimension objects placed into your field of view (likely the room with your computer). You can't immerse yourself in a flight simulator with augmented reality. Virtual reality, on the other hand, puts you into a fully immersive environment.

2. I'm sorry, but your statement that "VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor" is wrong, and here's why. Valve's Index "uses a 14401600 LCD panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 28801600." 4K-UHD is 38402160 (this is the more common resolution for gamings) and true 4K 40962160 (this is the more common 4K resolution for movies and broadcasts). The index gives you a screen dimension that is 1000560 less than 4K-UHD. When you're eyes see an image at 28801600, you will notice the better visual fidelity.

News Comments > Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans

1. Re: Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans Oct 14, 2019, 23:19 Kxmode

Can they detect whether someone's connection died during a multiplayer match? I suspect not.  

News Comments > Fortnite Apocalypse

18. Re: Fortnite Apocalypse Oct 14, 2019, 19:47 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 16:41:
Byte wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 16:38:
Initially was a cool PR Stunt, but based on the amount of streamers who were ...don't give a fuck.
McDonalds is always hiring.

Yup. The cash registers have pictures of food in the shape of icons to make the transition easy.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

11. Re: Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Oct 14, 2019, 19:11 Kxmode

"are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system... for now"  

News Comments > Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

10. Re: Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Oct 14, 2019, 19:09 Kxmode

Is "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare" an apt description of the on-going battle between publishers and consumers?  

10. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 14, 2019, 19:04 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 18:08:
SirKnight wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 12:37:
I don't understand why this wasn't obvious since the start of the project. OF COURSE a flight sim needs VR. There's a piece of software that lets you use VR with Flight Sim X and it's amazing how much more real it feels to be sitting in the cockpit and looking around naturally with your head. Sims are a perfect fit for VR.

Because hardcore/professional flight "simmer" don't prefer VR.... Professional flight simulator need/prefer real instrument panels and multi-screen setup. VR goggles is actually not a good simulator training tool (too cut off from the real world). Flight sim is not only about flying. It is also about instrumental controlling/learning. It is much better the pilot actually TOUCH these buttons/switches/levers. I think MS did the right thing not to spend the initial development time into VR. Map details, plane/aerodynamic physics, atmospheres/weather physics are much more important and MS actually have no less than 5 development teams working on these.

Many professionals train on simulations that emulate a real-world plane. It includes a cockpit that is to scale with all the instrumentation as tangible objects that are not on-screen. The VR in a flight sim would simulate the real-world physics of looking around and interacting with the instruments. It's still not on the level of a professional simulator but would get it closer.

Flight sim and even driving sim DON'T need VR!! It is still a gimmick tools at this point.

VR would be a massive boon in that it follows the real-world physics of looking around. Pilots and drivers do this all the time without thinking.

Some of you who cheap shot MS above have no idea how serious MS develop this version of Flight Simulator.

https://youtu.be/MOPIjzzH1G8

Here are some high tech stuff for it
* Map available: Only ONE map - the Planet EARTH via Microsoft Bing! 3D objects (AI create trees & building...) stream from MS servers!!
* Water affected by wind, created wave
* 32 lays of atmospheres and clouds form depend on them
* full day/night and yearly cycle. Position of sun and moon and stars map correctly.
* aerodynamic physics completely rewritten
* and many more....

I will say this "game" is MUCH MORE technological advance than Star Citizen.

I don't believe anyone is "cheap shotting" Microsoft's commitment to developing a modern flight simulator. They're critical of Microsoft not making VR an integral part of it. The reason may have to do with Microsoft's commitment to AR via their Hololens tech that hasn't taken off as big as VR has. The thing is VR, not AR, is the best enhancement for a flight simulator.

News Comments > BDSM: Big Drunk Satanic Massacre Lets Loose

11. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2019, 22:50 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 18:10:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 15:35:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:17:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:09:
Looks dumb to me.

Most Satanic religious things are.

FTFY

That's your opinion.

That's objective fact.

Relatively speaking.

16051 Comments. 803 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >