Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 14138 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds
24. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 16, 2018, 03:52 Kxmode

Derek tends to write excessively long sentences, some that take up an entire paragraph. Other times he'll write eddies of sections that are single sentences making it sound like there's no cohesive train of thought from one point to the next and he's just rambling or running in circles. Perhaps the excitement of this particular news between CIG and Crytek was overwhelming and reflected in writing. Anyhow, where I could, I patched up all of it. Also tried, where possible, to tone down the crazy ego he gleefully infuses into his writings. The goal was to make it all somewhat coherent and more like a generalized news report. Hopefully, I was successful.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work
15. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 03:01 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2018, 02:12:
The problem is that in many cases they plagiarize a Youtuber's words and put them in a text review. There's not a way IGN can vet this on their end because obviously they don't have a transcript of every gaming Youtube video ever created. Similarly, a plagiarism search engine isn't going to find it either.

You're right, but that's why hiring more vetters combined with more powerful plagiarism search engines that search not only the text-based content but also the media-based content would be a lot of due diligence. My understanding is some index the auto-transcription feature Google has added to virtually all videos. It's accessible by clicking on the "three vertical dots" above the Subscribe button, and selecting "Open transcript." The accuracy of the transcript is impressive.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 16, 2018, 02:33 Kxmode

I thought what Derek wrote had good points. The problem is he tries to make them through the prism of a colossal ego. Here's his screed cleaned up and hopefully with language that allows his points to flourish.

With humble apologies to Derek:

----

Breaking New!

As predicted back in January 2018 a judge denied the Motion to Dismiss in the CryTek v CIG case. CIG/RSI now appear insolvent, so this would be the final death toll. What this means is if Crytek files an injunction to prevent them from continuing to operate Star Citizen the damages alone could be catastrophic. This revelation may imply investors getting scuttled. Notice that the judge also allowed the lawsuit to proceed against both entities, and since they own and support the others, they are all on the hook. In other words, there's no escape. We'll see if Crytek starts discovery or goes for the injunction first. In the meanwhile, you can read the entire filing here:

[FILING]

I don't know how CIG can settle this when they don't, in my humble estimation, have the funds to do so. A vital part of the "exclusivity" section that some people (apparently even Internet lawyers) are missing or ignoring is the judge's notes at the bottom of page 11. Now take a look at what section 2.4 of the GLA says. Here exists the biggest problem. The GLA has not expired, and the term is still contractually valid until otherwise terminated (+ 2 years). Under the clause, CIG was not allowed to switch to a competing engine.

Section 2.4 makes the 2.1.2 claim immaterial in its entirety, and thus a more significant problem for CIG because they did switch engines. This knowledge is why the judge made those notes because she wanted to point out that even the denial of 2.1.2 on its merits has no relevance to the big picture. There is already a more massive breach (2.4) which neither side is denying.

It's amusing. Today, CryTek doesn't have to prove that CIG switched to Lumberyard because they did so and admit as such in announcements to the community. The information is public domain. The judge told CIG "Look, this is your real problem." Lawsuits will throw anything that looks good on the wall to see what sticks. What the judge granted are relegated to "red herrings;" a fallacy that is intended to be misleading or distracting from the facts.

Do you remember the thread where I covered this issue back in January? To refresh, I posited that the ruling of this judge was going to be a thing of beauty. She didn't disappoint. I stated the GLA only covered a single game and not two (e.g., Star Citizen and Squadron 42), and that the GLA was clear on this. The judge, in this case, agreed on page 13. She used my correct reasoning in her brief.

I remember a lot of lawyers on Youtube with law degrees arguing that SQ42 was part of the project and so CIG had every reason to split it and sell it separately as part of the pre-existing GLA. The judge's note on this is in one-hundred percent support of the argument that GLA covered a single product, and she noted that the SQ42 split isn't ambiguous but a fact.

Again in that note, she effectively tells CIG: "Here is your real problem. You made the announcement public so it cannot be in dispute."

The long and short of these two critical parts are thus:

1) 2.1.2 allowed CIG to use any other engine; not just CryEngine
2) 2.4 prevented CIG from doing so for the term + yrs

Since the GLA is in full effect, they are in material breach of 2.4 thus rendering 2.1.2 invalid. In January, when the lawyers on Youtube claim that 2.4 was a non-compete clause, what I said back then is what the judge ruled.

[LINK TO DEREK SMART BLOG POST]

In case there was any doubt about the GLA term, I have the image in the link I just posted. But here it is again. The GLA is still 100% in effect. Thus 2.4 still stands. That's why the judge made that note.

[IMAGE OF CIG / CRYTEK CONTRACT]

What does this mean for CIG? Well, not only are they locked to Crytek's CryEngine, whether or not they use it, but it also means they cannot terminate the GLA without doing everything spelled out in the contract. In other words, it's a mutual termination and not a one-sided thing. So it would appear here that CIG is in a pickle; the ramifications of which I haven't started to contemplate. CIG's 6.1.4 filing never made much sense to me, and the judge felt that way too in their ruling. In retrospect, she used many of the same words to decimate CIG's defense completely. I suspect CIG's thought process is such that even if they were in a breach that there were no damages.

The judge's ruling on page 17 regarding the copyright infringement in SQ42, is the single most substantial liability against which CIG won't be able to defend. The judge's wording already hinted at that. For context, these are some of the same issues that caused severe damages in the Epic Games v Silicon Knights case, the Bethesda v Oculus case, and many others. Copyright and trademark infringement damages are the single most destructive things in any corporate lawsuit and with CIG failing to get the SQ42 issue dismissed became a significant problem. Even if CIG had succeeded in getting everything else rejected, the copyright liability is the one that will hurt them the most financially.

Not only did the judge deny CIG's motion to exclude damages (from page 17-18), but she also issued CIG a crippling blow in that she pointed out that Crytek can seek injunctive relief if they chose to do so. What will that do? It prevents CIG from selling both games (Star Citizen and Squadron 42). It may seem an easy thing to gloss over, but consider, when a judge rules, you have to pull a product off the shelves (or digital distribution in the case of the Internet). Law requires that.

CryTek can file this motion at any time. At the moment, I believe that CryTek is more focused on discovery because there are enough causes of action which survived the Motion To Dismiss. That will make discovery an absolute nightmare for CIG and expose all their secrets. More importantly, it may reveal where did all the backer money go?! The importance of injunctive relief in any damages, which are pertinent, are substantial enough for the judge to spend a whopping 2.5 pages explaining her ruling. She left NO room for ambiguity. She's said to CIG "Let's get real. We already know SQ42 exists."

I believe that she went to those great lengths because she wanted to make clear to CIG that the most material breach (e.g., 2.4, SQ42, and so forth) were subject to specific damages by law; just as CryTek had claimed. So CIG cannot hand-wave this away by writing a $100 check instead of a $1M check.

The last part of her ruling is my personal favorite because it involves Ortwin. She was entirely in line with what I wrote months ago about his liability. Before I dive into that, let me find the links of what I said, to provide context. Here is my thread about Ortwin and his duplicity. I wrote about this in January.

[THREAD READER CLIP]

I also cataloged it in my forum thread on the lawsuit.

[LINK TO DEREK SMART BLOG POST]

On page 21, the judge didn't mince words. It puts Ortwin squarely in the case and makes him a real part of it, not just the corporate entity. I don't doubt CryTek will go for this. As an attorney accused of acting in bad faith for financial gain, this is grounds for disbarment. This information sheds light on why CIG wants to have those parts of the Crytek complaint redacted. The judge wasn't having any of it because she recognized the critical problem that duplicity poses. She couldn't have agreed to this without causing procedural issues down the road. If I were CryTek, I would immediately file a separate action and stick him right in the middle of it, then file a bar complaint.

Of the six causes of action CIG wanted to dismiss, the judge only granted two. With the 2.1.2 allowance, we already know this is a "red herring" (or distraction tactic) because CIG is in a bind with proven and undeniable breach of GLA 2.4. The judge has helpfully pointed this out to them in her notes. The judge granted them punitive damage dismissal, which was a long shot anyway. CIG is still on the hook for monetary damages, statutory damages, and injunctive relief.

Now we see why in April, there's a correlation between CIG file for a protective order to stifle all Crytek attempts at discovery. It was in that filing and responsive pleading that we discovered CIG had initiated settlement talks to which CryTek dismissed them and decided to wait for the Motion to Dismiss ruling. If CryTek had gone for the quick settlement, they could never have known that the most material breach (2.4) would stick, nor that every single important cause of action would survive the Motion to Dismiss. In other words, the massive bet paid off.

CryTek also could likely not have known that the second most destructive force in their lawsuit - the SQ42 copyright infringement - would ever survive that motion. While it was clear, parts of the GLA left enough room for ambiguity, most of us software devs already understood it to be true. The point remains when licensing an engine to make one product if it ever used for two products the license becomes violated. It also doesn't matter if the engine is free or not, because only the existing license agreement prevails. I mention this because some people claimed CryEngine is free so there was no breach if CIG used it for SQ42 as well. It's just not right.

The thing is, had CIG not gotten so greedy and publicly split SQ42 into a separate product they wouldn't be on the hook for a damaging infringement suit. The damages awarded in all the other causes of action claim would have been significantly less when compared against a copyright infringement claim. I suppose CIG has destroyed their company with this move because they cannot afford for this to go to trial. Now, this Motion to Dismiss ruling has given Crytek a massive upper hand in any settlement talks. If I were in Crytek's shoes, I would go in, take everything, remove CIG from the project, finish the game, and extract their losses and damages. That's possible what will come of this.

Contrary to popular belief, CIG isn't sitting on a pile of cash. As I highlighted in my discussion of their largest studio, I posit they are operating on a monthly basis purely with money from backers (and some investor cap). The largest studio (Foundry 42 in UK and Germany) is burning through an estimated 73% of their annual funding. That entity is in debt and has little to no cash and zero sources of income other than from the parent company. Additionally, those studio's assets are already fully pledged to Coutts bank. We know little about the US entities in LA and TX, but what we do know is that they too are heavily leveraged. That is why Crytek is going to start looking into the finances as this is how to derived damages in the future.

The other problem for CIG is that they probably don't have liability insurance to cover this sort of thing. Even so, the GLA is a pre-existing contract. Considering how unprofessional they do things, if they got one eventually, the claims are probably not covered. So that's the end of that. Now we wait for Crytek's next move, which I suspect will be the filing for discovery which they tried to do back in March.

With the Motion to Dismiss now out of the way, things are going to start moving fast now. I believe backers will still give them money once they realize that, aside from never getting their money back, nor the promised games, they are going to be funding a losing lawsuit. If we were to take the funding chart at face value and estimate they raise $30M a year, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the sort of damages they are going face very soon. Unless the company gets sold, CIG doesn't have the money to settle. While I don't believe that Crytek is intending on destroying the company or project, what CIG and Ortwin did to them is likely enough reason for Crytek to burn it all to the ground and write-off their legal expenses against company income.

If there was to be a settlement - knowing that any award is going to create a financial liability that exceeds the company net worth - Crytek will own all of CIG after they are forced into bankruptcy.

For posterity, I am calling this turn of events now. Further, we're going to see a day where Crytek owns every asset of CIG's entities. If you thought this was far-fetched, consider eight months ago the Motion to Dismiss ruling. The biggest problem likely to be miss by most is the judge agreed both CIG and RSI were on the hook. This ruling destroys the shell game in one fell swoop. Only Twin Bros (Ortwin's company) has minimal protection. Until discovery revealed that it received funds for the project, which it did. Given Ortwin's expose in this lawsuit, he's now at enormous risk. So that's the end of my coverage.

Now we wait to see Crytek's next move. I'm sure it's going to be good.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2018, 02:44.

20. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 16, 2018, 01:10 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 23:42:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 21:34:
Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:42:
*REMOVED*

Wow! So early! lol

Don't take it TOO literally.

Nice one!

13. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 16, 2018, 01:04 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 21:33:
I'm tempted to grab a random assortment of IGN reviews from different authors to see if they contain plagiarized material. There are plenty of services that offer sophisticated plagiarism search engines. If true, this may reveal that Filip Miucin isn't an isolated incident but instead is part of a "cabal" at IGN where a large percentage of staff or the entire organization is engaged in this kind of nonsense. Wouldn't that be something?

I spent the last hour and change scanning a range of IGN Switch, PC, and PS4 reviews for plagiarism and other than some random sites copying the content (with a source mention), all of them are original and not plagiarized. I can't speak to ALL of IGN, but it does appear that content originality is the rule and not the exception. Filip was an anomaly. Going forward, IGN is likely to increase their vetting process, and think twice about hiring a random Youtube personality to author content for their service. At the very least, ensure the content on their Youtube channel is original.

12. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 16, 2018, 00:43 Kxmode

Filip Miucin's 1:21 review of Oceanhorn posted on January 2017 (ten months before IGN hired him) is basically the same content from the Oceanhorn Wikipedia page. If the IGN editors had done their due diligence, they would have learned this. Further, he shouldn't be monetizing a video based off other people's work (e.g., Wikipedia editors). But, I guess it's justified because he said in a 2014 Tweet: "If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research." Right, so I guess he can pass it off as "research." If I authored or edited that Oceanhorn Wikipedia entry, I'd be a little peeved.  

15. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 15, 2018, 23:04 Kxmode

Desalus wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 21:57:
If Star Citizen and Squadron 42 ultimately fail (which is highly likely), I can see Chris Roberts and CIG fans putting the blame on Crytek. "If we hadn't been sued by Crytek we could have used all of that money spent on legal fees to actually finish the games."

That's precisely what will happen, and Chris Roberts will run with it.

11. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 15, 2018, 21:37 Kxmode

SlimRam wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 21:26:
Hell, the comments on this article have to go long. I mean, if we've already got Chris Roberts and Derek Smart in the same piece; all we need now is to have Sean Murray show up somewhere in the article and this comment section's going to 200 posts, easy, we're talking trifecta here!

What do you call the piece with Chris Roberts, Derek Smart, Sean Murray, and Peter Molyneux? A Quadfecta!

10. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 15, 2018, 21:34 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:42:
*REMOVED*

Wow! So early! lol

10. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 21:33 Kxmode

I'm tempted to grab a random assortment of IGN reviews from different authors to see if they contain plagiarized material. There are plenty of services that offer sophisticated plagiarism search engines. If true, this may reveal that Filip Miucin isn't an isolated incident but instead is part of a "cabal" at IGN where a large percentage of staff or the entire organization is engaged in this kind of nonsense. Wouldn't that be something?  

9. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:50 Kxmode

SirKnight wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:35:
And then to make it all worse, in his non-apology video he tried to make it seem like he was a victim and didn't offer any apology at all.

That's exactly what Stephen Glass did!

8. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:47 Kxmode

Xero wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:08:
Well he flushed down any potentials he could of had a long with his career.

He'll probably write a novel called "If I Did It: Confessions of a Plagiarist," and that will probably contain wholesale copies of other people's work. lol

7. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:45 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 19:30:
I dare anyone ...
Miucin and his 3 minutes of fame won't be missed.
What an idiot.

Nice, original haiku.

6. Re: IGN Removes Fired Writer's Work Aug 15, 2018, 20:42 Kxmode

Goodness. That's just chronic

Definitely like the movie Shattered Glass (only on the plagiarism spectrum). In that movie - based on the real life event - the editors discovered Stephen Glass made up the story "Hack Heaven," and were then forced to go back and review some 40 published stories by Stephen.

As Wikipedia notes (with references), "The New Republic subsequently determined that at least 27 of the 41 articles Glass wrote for the magazine contained fabricated material. Some of the 27, such as "Don't You D.A.R.E.", contained real reporting interwoven with fabricated quotations and incidents, while others, including "Hack Heaven," were completely made up. In the process of creating the "Hack Heaven" article, Glass had gone to especially elaborate lengths to thwart the discovery of his deception by TNR's fact checkers: creating a website and voice mail account for Jukt Micronics; fabricating notes of story gathering; having fake business cards printed; and even composing editions of a fake computer hacker community newsletter."

6. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 15, 2018, 20:33 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:30:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 20:18:
Grab a cozy chair and blanket, toss some popcorn in the microwave, and buckle up for a 100+ comment thread

We're better than that.
No we're not.

No we're not.

News Comments > Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of "New" Designation
48. Re: removed Aug 15, 2018, 20:30 Kxmode

Unfortunately, unlike John Hammond, I would have to spare an expense; so no Train Simulator with ALL the DLCs.

($7,452.42 Goodness gracious!!)

News Comments > Deathgarden Kicks Off Early Access with a Free Week
7. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 15, 2018, 20:22 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 17:52:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 14:55:
In Germany, they would call this: Todgarten

Almost Smartass . The correct German word would actually be "Todesgarten". You are right that death = Tod but when Tod is used in conjunction (in adjunction) with another substantive then it becomes "Todes" (genitive form).

Similar adjunctive words:

Todesstoss = deathblow
Todeszeit = time of death
Todeszone = death zone
Todesangst = deadly terror

Thanks! Good to know basic German grammar.

4. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 15, 2018, 20:18 Kxmode

Grab a cozy chair and blanket, toss some popcorn in the microwave, and buckle up for a 100+ comment thread that's likely to break Godwin's Law at some point. Plus a few *REMOVED* as an added bonus! Smash  

News Comments > Koch Media Acquires Timesplitters and Second Sight
9. Re: Koch Media Acquires Timesplitters and Second Sight Aug 15, 2018, 15:14 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 15:02:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 14:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 11:48:
Koch Media should consider a name change lest people confuse it with the koch bros.
I don't know who the koch bros are. I'm pretty sure most gamers don't know who they are as well.
3 people in this thread do know who they are (I'd even bet a dollar Prez makes it 4), you can count yourself in the minority.
Being a "Gamer" does not equate ignorance of current events, you should quit implying that it does.

I'm not implying ignorance of current events. I'm simply saying I don't know who those people are.

News Comments > Deathgarden Kicks Off Early Access with a Free Week
3. Re: Deathgarden Kicks Off Early Access with a Free Week Aug 15, 2018, 14:55 Kxmode

In Germany, they would call this: Todgarten  

14138 Comments. 707 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo