Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description If you actually understand Genesis 1:1 that is the beginning of wisdom.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12073 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division
27. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 21:40 Kxmode

nin wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 14:18:
Molten Core 500.

Molten Core 40 Wink

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
37. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 18:07 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 12:49:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 00:19:
rant SNIP rant
VR will change the world. If you think it is just "a fad" like 3DTV was, you are incorrect. Applications like crossover AR/VR are just beginning to scratch the surface.
VR gaming kicks ass and is here to stay.

Two points.

1. According to Merriam-Webster, they define fad as "something that is very popular for a short time." Note the definition includes the words "very popular." 3DTV was never a fad because it never became very popular. Examples of legitimate fads include:

> Gangnam Style
> Tickle Me Elmo
> Pokťmon Go
> Hula-hoop
> Cabbage Patch Kids
> Pet Rock
> Rubik's Cube
> Hacky sack
> Lava lamps
> Mood rings
> and so forth

Today's VR has not reached very popular status no matter your perspective on it. It is still a niche product for people with the money who can afford the technology and the required computer hardware. VR cannot be classified as a fad. If you disagree, reach out to the Merriam-Webster folks and explain why you believe "very popular" isn't the correct words to use.

2. The lifespan of a fad is driven entirely by interest. There's no rhyme or reason for why something is very popular one month and then forgotten the next. Contrast that with the detailed and specific points I made in my initial comment. They are based on very real analytical breakdowns of why VR will eventually fold if action is not taken.

While I appreciate your points and do hope VR changes the world, I would ask that you try and comprehend my comments before responding. Calling my post nothing more than a "rant about a fad" is disingenuous to my intended meaning.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

25. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 13:55 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 05:10:
I totally have qualms with this. We don't need any more shit in our league, trust me. This year our Cup sponsor is...Monster Energy...as in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup. We don't need help looking stupid. I dunno who approved it but they're an idiot! Anyway, the Indy500 is not a NASCAR event. Just so you know. We don't do open wheels. :D

How about the Monster Blizzard Energy NASCAR Cup?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Content Next Week
9. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 01:05 Kxmode

Frijoles wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 20:00:
The skills are interesting, but they take a ton of time to unlock (at least the later ones). And although there are events always going on, it's been rare for me to find anyone doing them. And a lot of them are hard to do solo.

That's a gripe I have as well. You're forced to play new content when it releases or else you'll miss the window to get all the possible mastery points plus achievements. For example, even though I love the Bloodstone Fen map these days it is barely populated. Sad considering the meta events are awesome! I especially like the progressively difficult Jade Constructs and the map/world boss Anomaly. I also enjoy the Dragon's Stand meta map event where the entire map is the event to kill Mordremoth (the Jungle dragon and end boss for HOT). Unfortunately, that typically happens on the weekend, and not consistently. However, when the event occurs, it is loads of fun!

GW2 has its pros and cons, but I think from an unbiased viewpoint it's fair to say the pros outweigh the cons.

23. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 00:33 Kxmode

RaZ0r! wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 20:04:
Blizzard: "So now that we have completely sold out how can we sell out even more? AH HA!"

- Buy IP logo space on NASCAR. Better yet, sponsor a driver and have all the Blizzard IPs slapped all over the car. I'm sure Indy 500 fans are diehard Blizzard gamers.

- Buy ad space on a SpaceX rocket, or pay to have a crate of StarCraft stuff dumped into space. Call it Operation: StarCrap.

- Advertise on electronic billboards

- Pay the monthly mortgage for super fans in exchange for painting their house to look like any of Blizzard's IP logos

- McDonalds "McBlizzard" Happy Meal

- Saturday Morning Blizzard cartoon (like this)

- Sponsor sports like extreme kayaking and rugby

- Open a theme park in South Korea

(Some ATVI marketing person is like, "Jinkies! Zoinks! Great ideas!" To that person I say, ďI need about treefiddy.Ē)

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2017, 00:55.

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
16. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 00:19 Kxmode

long terms success of virtual reality

What are they babbling about? There's no long-term success at all.

1. VR hasn't reached broad market penetration.
2. VR is a niche product.
3. No killer app.
4. Expensive entry cost.
5. Unproven technology. Mostly "beta" and "early access."
6. Aimlessness (Is it for gamers? Does it have a medical application? Can teachers use it? etc.)
7. Costly R&D.
8. Horrible ROI.

In the past, I opined that VR needs to produce something within a year that becomes "so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology." If it doesn't happen, VR will fade and die just like any other new tech. There's only so much money Facebook, HTC, and others can dump into VR before it becomes a costly failure. The shareholders are going to demand something soon.

20. Re: Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division Feb 1, 2017, 18:44 Kxmode

Goodness. Lines are being crossed. This vexes me.  

18. Re: Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division Feb 1, 2017, 18:29 Kxmode

> Seinfeld leave meme

BluesNews is starting to turn into DarkNews.

News Comments > SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow
7. Re: SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow Feb 1, 2017, 14:25 Kxmode

panbient wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 11:00:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 09:52:
WHY: Reasons

And with a reaction like that what's the real point of trying to explain it again?

If you had a broken arm would you appreciate being told to STFU because other people had broken legs and were choosing to accept the pain rather than get medical attention?

Fucking crab bucket of idiots screwing themselves over for the benefit of the executives taking full advantage of their refusal to stand up for themselves.

Seriously, EA screws over gamers with nickel and dime in-game DLC - fuck EA. EA screws over developers with brutal crunch time - fuck EA. EA screws over a classic franchise to hit a scheduled released with a half baked game - fuck EA.

A small group of creatives exercise their right to organize and demand fair and adequate compensation in line with the rest of the greater industry they operate within from companies like EA - fuck the workers?

What. the actual fuck. kind of logic is this?

On the totem of being screwed over, I would place indie dev Hello Games on top. Granted, I don't like the draconian nonsense of big publishers, or that they release buggy games (e.g. Bethesda), or their forcing me to buy games on a in-house distribution platform instead of releasing on existing (e.a. EA, Ubi), but overall they've never outright lied (at least, not yet to me).

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division Feb 1, 2017, 14:20 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 12:26:
As long as Blizzard keeps making good games, I don't really care what they do. Just tighten up the story-writing - it's gotten noticeably worse as of late. Diablo 3s story was 'meh' and StarCraft 2's was pants. Particularly the last chapter. But those cutscenes though - WOW!

It won't. Many of the senior guys have left or retired from Blizzard. The nextgen people lack the creativity of the original team. Blizzard moved many of the originals like Metzen and Kaplan over to Overwatch. They wanted that level of polish. As a result, their existing IPs suffered (including WOW despite what they say). WOW became a crapfest after WOTLK, that's about the time Blizzard starting shuffling the core people over to Project Titan.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Content Next Week Feb 1, 2017, 14:03 Kxmode

Fion wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 13:14:
The Mastery system is fantastic and really gives you a sense of growth without tacking on a simple level grind like way to many MMO expansions.

It's still grinding, but a different kind. At least it's tolerable.

Fion wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 13:14:
I'll always hold GW2 as one of the finest modern MMOs around and the even stream of new content that's free for concurrent players and not that costly to purchase afterward really makes the price of admission worth it.

Agreed. It's one of the few games that has an amazing Buy 2 Play model. I believe ESO and The Hidden World do the same. I like the B2P model over F2P primarily because F2P tends to cripple the content behind "premium" accessibility (e.g. LOTRO is worst offender, but given a pass because the game is solid). I don't like that. If the game is F2P, then it should be F2P without restrictions. The Cash Shop should be primarily for vanity crap. This model is what Anet has adopted for both GW1 and GW2. On a side note, the core game is truly Free 2 Play without restrictions. The only restriction you have is that you can't access HOT content including the Revenant-class and the mastery system.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Content Next Week Feb 1, 2017, 12:07 Kxmode

Wash Washburne wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 11:22:
How is Heart of Thorns? Wasn't going to pay a full price but now that it is on sale, worth a buy?

As a fan of the game, it has its moments, and they're good, but not great. The extreme verticality of the maps takes some getting used to, but once you do, gliding is great fun (GW2's equivalent of "flying mounts" without flying). Bloodstone Fen is a great example of the Devs fully embracing gliding. With the introduction of the Mastery system (Anet's answer to how to make character progression possible in an expansion without more levels), the content is more challenging than the core game. By itself, I like the story, but I would recommend playing in sequence, or else it won't make much sense. The only thing I don't like is the mastery point costs to get skills. I ran out of ways to get more points and I have no desire to raid, run fractals, or do other stuff.

Hope that's doesn't sound too biased.

6. Re: Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division Feb 1, 2017, 10:33 Kxmode

To quote the line from Spaceballs. "Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower! The kids love this one. And last but not least, Spaceballs the doll, me. (Doll: May the schwartz be with you!) Adorable." So I guess we'll see Mike Morhaime-the action figure with karate-chop action.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2017, 10:01 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 15:33:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 13:23:
Some people spell it tire, others tyre. Are they both correct? Quick. To the Googles! "Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. Of course, all English speakers use tire in the sense to grow weary." Smart

you are the nerdiest person in a room full of nerds... bravo on that, its pretty special

I'm channeling my inner Sheldon.

News Comments > EA Financials
12. Re: EA Financials Feb 1, 2017, 09:56 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 00:27:
Gee, do something unique and interesting, and do it well, and people flock to you. Who knew?

The single-player Let's Plays I have seen has a unique and interesting gameplay mechanic. When your character dies his DOB and DOD appears, then you immediately jump into a new character. The game actually warns you that you will die often.

News Comments > SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow
1. Re: SAG/AFTRA Rally Tomorrow Feb 1, 2017, 09:52 Kxmode

WHY: Reasons

News Comments > EA Financials
2. Re: On Sale Jan 31, 2017, 21:36 Kxmode

Okay, now that that fluff piece is out of the way, here's the truth.

EA Reports Mixed Results for Latest Shooter Videogames
BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
4:28 PM ET 01/31/2017

Electronic Arts ( EA ) said sales of its latest "Battlefield 1" video game far exceeded the 14M copies it expected gamers to snap up during the holiday quarter, but "Titanfall 2," released around the same time in October, underperformed. Both titles are first-person shooters and they faced stiff competition from Activision Blizzard's ( ATVI ) newest installment of "Call of Duty." That game, also a shooter, came out in November and was the top-selling video game in the US last year, according to NPD Group. EA shares off 1.1% to $82.47 after-hours.

----

EA is hoping MEA is a hit especially considering it'll be released one week before Q1 ends. Gotta make their shareholders happy. Q1 is always the hardest of the four. Q4 is, of course, the most profitable.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Early Access
16. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 15:22 Kxmode

I'll just stick with Stardew Valley. More calm and peaceful.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2017, 13:23 Kxmode

Some people spell it tire, others tyre. Are they both correct? Quick. To the Googles! "Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. Of course, all English speakers use tire in the sense to grow weary." Smart  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement Tomorrow
5. Re: On Sale Jan 31, 2017, 00:16 Kxmode

The Elder Scrolls Online: Sunset?  

12073 Comments. 604 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo