Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 13595 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Get Lethal League for Free
4. Re: Get Lethal League for Free Mar 23, 2018, 16:09 Kxmode

TorchMaster wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 11:55:
Fanatical is requiring that you link your Steam account to them for this offer. That makes this a 'pass' for me.

There's no such thing as FREE.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2018, 15:32 Kxmode

CD Projekt Red posted their FY2017 financial results conference (translated into English). There were three key points that big greedy publishers like EA should note.

1:08 - As you can see the Witcher 2 sold a four-fold better, regarding revenue than Witcher 1, and The Witcher 3 an eleven-fold better than The Witcher 2. If you add on top of that the expansions, the increase was 15 fold. Looking at last year's sales, you will see that The Witcher 3 has been selling well, not only on the day of release, but after release, and later on. Comparing year one and year two sales, in year two there was a 65% increase and third year to the second year was more than 40%. Our games have been selling for a very long time. The Witcher 1 has been selling really well for a decade, so it's worthwhile to create good games and investing in quality and adding things to the game that support sales after the release.

5:19 - The Witcher 3 is critical. However, sales of The Witcher 3 has been changing after the release, and this diagram shows two crucial pieces of information. First, in 2017, unit sales of The Witcher 3 was higher than the year before and second, on the year of the release, 70% of sales came from console copies, and slightly more than 30% were PC copies. The trend has changed over time. PCs have the most extended life cycle. Now in 2017, 50% of sales stem from PC copies and the other half was attributed to both consoles (Xbox One and PS4).

6:21 - Methods of delivering games to customers have changed over time. During the release, the vast majority of sales, more than 70%, was realized with boxed versions, but in 2017 the proportion has reversed. Three-quarter of copies sold through digital distribution. This data point allows us to participate in higher retail pricing. So we earn more on each digital copy than on box copies.

Take away:
1. Creating good games and investing in quality equals profit.
2. Console typically has a big burst of sales on the initial release, but PC has the most extended lifecycle of transactions. In other words, more consistent residuals. Creating console exclusives may not be the best business decision.
3. Over time, MORE copies of games sell on PC. By extension, it is essential to make the game available on all major distro platforms like Steam, GOG, Windows App Store, as well as Origin, Battle.net, and Uplay if possible. A competitor would be more than happy to sell the game on their platform for a percentage cut. That just means gamers can buy from their preferred platform.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Content Plans
16. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 23, 2018, 15:00 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:40:
Quinn wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:08:
My theory is that this game was meant to be a lootbox store, its shallow gameplay being nothing more than a front for said store.

Then the Battlefield fiasco happened.

Now we have a game stripped bare of its quick-buck "content".

Nail, meet hammer.

Pot, meet kettle.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2018, 14:57 Kxmode

Depressing. Even more depressing. Really looking forward to the time when animals live in relative peace.  

News Comments > 2018 GDC and IGF Awards
7. Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Mar 23, 2018, 04:01 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 17:47:
I've not played Horizon, but that's the gist of most the comparisons I see from people who have. HZD is yet another open world action game, which is fine if that's what you like, I mean I probably would enjoy it if I had a PS4. But the new Zelda bucks a lot of those trends and significantly refreshes the genre. It doesn't litter your map with icons to mindlessly chase down, you're encouraged to freely explore while visually spotting points of interest off in the distance (whether that's a little chunk of "content" or just a cool spot to climb and see the view). It's so open and free-form, in fact, that a lot of people seem to dislike the feeling of not knowing what they should be doing.

Zelda and HZD are both open-world games. The difference in my mind is that Zelda looks like it came from 2010. HZD actually looks like a game released in 2017 taking full advantage of PS4 PRO's enhanced visuals. All that aside, the story and immersion is amazing. The joylessness is driven by the environment and the fact that humanity has quite literally taken a backseat on a planet ruled by AI and robots.

News Comments > EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O
11. Re: EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O Mar 23, 2018, 03:51 Kxmode

I for one am ready for our robot farming overlords.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine Ray Tracing
15. Re: Unreal Engine Ray Tracing Mar 22, 2018, 16:39 Kxmode

Slightly modified from a line by George Lucas. "Game engines are just a tool: a means of telling a story. People have a tendency to confuse them as an ends unto themselves. A game engine without a story, without content, is a pretty boring thing."  

News Comments > 2018 GDC and IGF Awards
2. Re: 2018 GDC and IGF Awards Mar 22, 2018, 15:43 Kxmode

There's no way The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Game of the Year over Horizon Zero Dawn. EVERYTHING in HZD is nearly perfect.  

7. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 15:30 Kxmode

Our focus for launch is on delivering a great initial experience,

Well, that was a fail.

2. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 12:21 Kxmode

I'm pretty sure most playing the game are less concerned with content than they are with stabilizing the product. Focus on that, then when it's good, discuss content.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Fix Plans
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Fix Plans Mar 21, 2018, 18:44 Kxmode

we are seeing a very high volume of players, which is leading to strain on our server matchmaking services.

They don't say...

The video sounds like a pair of amateur deer caught in headlights, rambling on about stuff.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves' Stormy Start
11. Re: Sea of Thieves' Stormy Start Mar 21, 2018, 17:13 Kxmode

Flo wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:44:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 16:32:
"We can't be bothered to pay for enough infrastructure. Please queue and stop saying that you want to play the game you paid for, you entitled bastards."
.....or didn't pay for because you use the 14 days free gamepass trick, you bastards! ARRRRR

Pirates do as pirates do.

News Comments > New Assassin's Creed Rumor
21. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 15:54 Kxmode

Red886 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 09:13:
its a straight forward tale of revenge with no nuance and subtlety about it. Just kill everyone some NPC tells you too (Bayek really just take anything a villager say as the truth) , and the reason why he went on this path of revenge is extremely hackneyed. Some supposed master tacticians and manipulators of Egyptian society, government and military, just decided to crowd around and beat a kid to death for no reason but to get the story rolling. Near the end, even the writers lost the plot because Bayek is not needed to unlock any secret to what these bunch of antagonists desire.

That makes the entire pivotal point of conflict even more ridiculous.

Good thing is that they can now only improve upon the story from now onwards. And bring back the graphical details from Unity

I know it is derivative. History is rife with derivative stories. The human story only has so many original stories. That doesn't take away from the fact that the story is good. Bayak is an ancient Egyptian police officer sworn the protect and serve the public. His transition from that into an assassin and ultimately the leader of a brotherhood of assassins to fight against oppressive power players happens organically.

> Some supposed master tacticians and manipulators of Egyptian society, government and military, just decided to crowd around and beat a kid to death for no reason but to get the story rolling.

I've played all the main games in the series and know the lore well enough to say the above is highly inaccurate.

There are five people directly responsible for the death of Bayek's son. Bayek's mission is to find those five and bring them to justice. Along the way, he discovers these five are mere pawns in a much larger and powerful order. His transition from seeking justice to ending oppression for all Egyptians occurs from his Medjay roots. The five mask men never "beat a kid to death." They hold Bayek's son hostage to forced Bayek to open a secret Vault with a golden orb. The orb is a piece of Eden that the Order of Ancients has obtained to build an empire. Their goal is to seek more knowledge and artifacts from the ancient vaults throughout Egypt, including the one Siwa.

7. Re: Sea of Thieves' Stormy Start Mar 21, 2018, 15:32 Kxmode

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:12:
Considering they had a long open/closed Beta, I'm curious what the hell happened.

Likely not understanding launch-day hype/reception. IT folks side on an err of caution and go for less than more (likely for budgetary reasons). The irony is having such a horrible start does more damage to the game than if no expense was spared to ensure a problem-free launch day.

6. Re: Sea of Thieves' Stormy Start Mar 21, 2018, 15:27 Kxmode

Arrrrrrrrr.rrrrr... .r.rr.rr. .r.rr.r. . ... ~DISCONNECTED~  

19. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 05:01 Kxmode

Red886 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 00:32:
AC story, characters, action and set pieces is crap. (UBI is not putting any effort in improving that, as they are now focused on "player-freedom" )

only the world is the selling point

I disagree. Bayak and Aya are fascinating characters, and I rooted for their successes and felt sadness over their losses. I also like the secondary characters. My favorite was Cleopatra. She was written and voiced acted well. The only secondary character I thought could have used a bit more polish is Julius Caesar. For such a pivotal role, his rise to power felt very "convenient." Tertiary characters like Shadya and Hilarus ("Youth is a state of mind!") were memorable.

18. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 21, 2018, 04:49 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 21:21:
Exactly. It now seems that they were planning on an AC Origins trilogy all along. Egypt, Greece, Rome.

I guess we do know from certain Animus snippets that they have most likely toyed with the idea of an Asian themed AC in the past. Let us also not forget that they have actually done the Asian-themed AC Chronicles China spinoff .

They might have well used that series to test the waters with regard to more exotic settings (the AC Chronicles games have been set in China, Russia and India so far). Who knows what their conclusions are based on the reception of those games... only time will tell.

An Abstergo researcher named Layla is tasked along with her friend and co-worker Deanna Geary with finding and retrieving an artifact in Egypt. However, she instead finds a tomb containing the mummies of ancient Assassins Bayek and Aya. Hoping to find any relevant information that would secure her a position in the company's Animus Project, Layla decides to relive both Bayek and Aya's memories using her modified Animus without telling her superiors. In other words, Layla's Animus doesn't need heritage DNA. She can relive the memories of anyone with only a DNA sample.

Later in the game, Layla wakes up from the Animus to find William Miles, Desmond's father and present-day Mentor of the Assassin Brotherhood, watching over her. He offers her the freedom to explore her new technology with the Brotherhoods resources. She accepts William's offer to work with the Assassins, but stops short of actually joining them. The two depart for modern-day Alexandria.

So even though the historical side of the story went back in time to ancient Egypt, the modern-day portion of the main story is still linearly moving forward. That said, I really want to find out want happened with Juno. There was a good cliffhanger at the end of Syndicate. Hoping to see something in the next game.

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
4. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 21:12 Kxmode

Illustratively, this is like a pirate captain boarding a ship and offering premium treasure to all the passengers if they throw in their lot with him. After YEARS of doing this and seeing the crew's steadfast loyalty to the ship's captain, the pirate captain heads off into the sunset to raid and pillage a neighboring town. Yarrrr! Pirate  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
30. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 20:23 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 18:28:
[quot

I concur.

13. Re: New Assassin's Creed Rumor Mar 20, 2018, 17:46 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:16:
Sure it does. Just look at the AC Timeline. Asia's in there. And seeing as ACO takes place in 49BC that leaves a metric shit ton of history to go lateral, forward, or backward with. There's zero reason not to do it and a ton of reasons to do it. And at the end of the day it'd just be cool as hell getting to play something akin to James Clavell's Shogun. There's just a whole lot more interesting history to play out than ancient Greece. Greece most definitely is not the word.

I'm not talking about the land mass (history exists all over the place). I'm talking about the story. UbiSoft already did what you are proposing with Unity (French Revolution) and Syndicate (Victorian era) becoming a disjointed mess and suffering for it. So much so, that they had to reboot the series. The only reason for the main series to go to China is if there's a story there for players. I didn't see anything in ACO alluding to an Asian influence, but I did see a lot of Greek and mediterranean influences. It makes way more sense to go to Greece than China, especially if Ubisoft wants to continue telling the Origins story. They stated this is their intent.

From an historical standpoint:
- Egypt (time of the Ptolemaic dynasties)
- Greece (not really sure why we would go here since Greece has splintered into a disjointed empire)
- Rome (eventually becomes a world power; time of Jesus. Bayek would likely be dead by this point.)

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2018, 17:56.

13595 Comments. 680 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo