Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Here's my full communication with CIG requesting a refund. http://pastebin.com/mSM29KZs This contains eye opening evidence.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 11744 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2016, 14:51 Kxmode

That's a tasty and painful looking sandwich Blue.  

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
51. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 17, 2016, 13:08 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 07:06:
If Mass Effect taught me anything, it's that driving a buggy around a vast, barren landscape isn't very interesting. That's kind of the whole problem with procedural content. Sure, you can have a potentially infinite amount of content but if 99% of it is generic and forgettable, what's the point?

The only thing in the video that caught my eye was the terrain doodads especially from the crashed shipped to the beacon. They look like they were "hand-placed"; especially the watering hole. If the team figured out a way to procedurally generate a planet with a hand-placed aesthetic that's pretty impressive tech.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

News Comments > World of Warcraft Return to Karazhan Patch This Month
14. Re: World of Warcraft Return to Karazhan Patch This Month Oct 17, 2016, 13:04 Kxmode

MattyC wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 10:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 08:40:
MattyC wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 07:47:
None of the WoW expansions have really interested me after MoP. I rather liked MoP, but I hated Cata. Zero interest in the game since.
That's interesting. I would say the exact opposite. I started three weeks after launch quit just before MoP because I thought they clearly had lost it. Came back not long before Legion, really liked what I saw of Warlords and so far I'm liking Legion.

You do know that Pandarians date back to WarCraft right? I don't mean that /s, I was just curious. Many people think that was a WoW invention and IDK why.

I always saw MOP as the WOW team's "vacation." For several expansions, they focused on demons and liches from lore they established in the RTS games. With MOP it was a way to work on brand new content, or at the very least flesh out that "joke race" Samwise Didier had created. I think the Kung Fu Panda movies significantly influenced the actual look of the Pandaren culture and continent.

8. Re: World of Warcraft Return to Karazhan Patch This Month Oct 16, 2016, 21:04 Kxmode

Rhett wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 08:10:
Talutha wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 03:20:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 02:50:
Blizzard needs to stop revamping old dungeons. Some people like to run them at level cap.

It isn't a revamp, its a new section of Kara. Some places are revistited like a new opera section and a different chess section but we go to other areas and there are new bosses. The old Kara is still there for people to do at max level.

Can vouch for this. This new mini-raid/uber dungeon will be a separate instance on the side of Kara. It will drop 855ilvl gear, with supposedly some 875 pieces somewhere. Not sure where those come from. I think an 875 ring from rep?

Oh. Well, that's cool.

4. Re: World of Warcraft Return to Karazhan Patch This Month Oct 16, 2016, 02:50 Kxmode

Blizzard needs to stop revamping old dungeons. Some people like to run them at level cap.  

49. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 16, 2016, 02:48 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 21:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 18:08:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 16:07:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 16:01:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 17:09:
look , I'm not trying to hype the game or jump the hype train

If you want to help, stop "White-Knighting" SC/SQ42 . Seriously, most people on this site know who you are.

because you, a mouth breather said so ? lol really?

Settle down kids, it's clear to anyone that wastes time reading these threads that naswulf is a smurf account created by one of KXs many personalities. They both spout feckless sycophantic dribble.

Right? It's like catnip for haters.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 16, 2016, 02:37 Kxmode

The vanilla WOW petition got over 250k signatures. 58k is nothing.

45. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 15, 2016, 16:01 Kxmode

NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 17:09:
look , I'm not trying to hype the game or jump the hype train

If you want to help, stop "White-Knighting" SC/SQ42 . Seriously, most people on this site know who you are.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2016, 14:31 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 23:57:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 13:25:
Why do I keep defaulting to Legend of Kyrandia whenever Westwood comes to mind?
It's probably not his fault, Blue whipped out his wood first, last week! Giggle

Wait. What? Square

News Comments > New WoW Game Director
26. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 19:47 Kxmode

My apologies all. I'm reading my long comment and find that it's an academic exercise. Basically, the TLDR is I'm not holding my breath that Blizzard will announce a legacy server. If they do great, if not whatever.

Thanks for sharing your points Half Elf. I agree with like 95% of them.

23. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 16:27 Kxmode

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 14:24:
It's dead, Jim Kx.

"Never give up. Never surrender."

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 14, 2016, 13:49 Kxmode

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 13:24:
I think one of the bigger challenges is answering the question "What's the Canonical vanilla WoW?" Because the game was never static.

The canonical version of vanilla WoW is 1.12.1. That was the last major patch before TBC's release. The ideal would be to use that as the base version, and over time roll out the content in sequential order. That's what Nostalrius was doing. The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj event was the next scheduled event before Blizzard shut down the servers.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2016, 13:25 Kxmode

Brazor wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 13:04:
Westworld is dominating my thinking about the new television series,

I read that as Westwood instead of Westworld. My first thought was "Why are they making a Command and Conquer TV show?"

Why do I keep defaulting to Legend of Kyrandia whenever Westwood comes to mind?

34. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 13:18 Kxmode

Slashman wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 12:12:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 07:47:
If anybody brings up the question of it running on a supercomputer, the computer it was running on was in a i7 6core with a Nvidia 1080 8 gig with a Intel SSD. Not some super computer running SLI Titan X's and they were hitting 50 - 170 frames un-optimize

Yeah because that's certainly the average gaming system for everyone!

I haven't bought a VIVE or Rift (primarily because I see it as a fad due to a lack of any killer apps [another discussion]) because my computer cannot run them. I'm not going to spend ~$1,600 to try VR. I definitely wouldn't for SC/SQ42; the next "No Man's Sky."

13. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 12:47 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:27:
But look at Blizzard. If their name is on it then it has to have a certain level of polish, and if they are going to do a legacy server it can't be a half-assed attempt (no offense) like player run servers.

Blizzard's policy of polish is correct, however, keep in mind the Nost team accomplished amazing things without access to the source code. First and foremost, they figured out how to allowed thousands of concurrent players on a single server designed for 2,500. I was on the ISVV team responsible for testing the validity of incoming bugs for the devs. From my experience, Nost devs had recreated complete quests based on Youtube videos and archival WOW Wikia and ThottBot pages. We had several meetings to QA class bugs. In one meeting we had to figure out the correct length of time for a particular Shaman buff against another player. All of this done without knowing what the original game had. That's a problem Blizzard doesn't have. So it's not a lack of content, it's a lack of desire.

Also the question still remains.... if they do even ONE legacy server will people re-sub to play WoW, and will the income be enough to justify the cost of the server. This is a huge unknown. Yes Nostalrius have quite a few players, but they were playing for free.

Nostalrius had way more than "a few players." The numbers do not lie.

+ 800,000 registered accounts.
+ 150,000 active accounts (logged on within the last 14 days).
+ 13,000 concurrent players (average at peak)
+ 30 volunteers (Admin, PR, Devs, GMs, ISVV [me! :)])

These are the hard numbers for Nostalrius only. As a collective whole, the legacy community is vast. The cost to run legacy servers is a non-issue by way of a monthly sub, an add-on perk ($5 to access legacy), or purchasing a special collector's edition vanilla WOW package ("comes with a cloth map!"); or all of these. The Admin stated all of Nost's servers including the ISVV and Dev machines cost around $1,000 to operate per month (Blizz likely makes that every 2-3 minutes). The overwhelming support is for vanilla WOW; the version of the game no longer available in retail.

Now if you want to look at what your paraphrasing from Ion.... how many MILLIONS of subscribers vs 250k players.

250k+ is only the number of people who signed the petition. There are way more than that who would resub to play legacy and specifically vanilla. Mark Kern said Blizzard could easily add another 1-2 million subs to their existing subscriber base; and likely more. Again, as a whole, the legacy community is massive. Nostalrius was merely the largest segment of it.

I think Spock said it best "The needs of the many..." especially when it comes to buisness. The latest expansion is pretty damn awesome, but at the same time feels very 'Burning Crusade'.

The only cost would be the polish you mentioned above. Incorporating it in Battle.net, er Blizzard Tech. Running it on current hardware is another cost. After that, it could operate on an economy budget with a small handful of people to maintain it. Product purchases and subscriptions could offset a lot of the upfront costs. Remember, people resubscribing to WOW specifically to play vanilla is money Blizzard does not have now.

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:33:
Legacy Server is nothing more than throwing a bone to loud-mouths that continually live in the world "It was better when...". Some actually would prefer it and many will realize "oh I guess I look back at it better than it actually is". There isn't Blizzard type monetary returns doing it.

Point one. It is not so much about "throwing a bone to loud-mouths" as it is about preserving the legacy of video games, specifically MMOs. No other game has had as significant an impact on gaming and MMOs in general as WOW, and other than the name, vanilla WOW is not even remotely like retail. An estimated over 100 million people have played WOW in its lifespan, many of which have never had a chance to see what vanilla was like at its peak. Events like the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj and the original Naxxramas just do not exist. This is part of gaming history that should be preserved.

Point two. Many people prefer the original game over Retail, much like some people prefer vanilla ice cream over Rocky Road. Sometimes Rocky Road lovers will have a bowl of vanilla. The point and Mark mentioned this, is that vanilla players would play Retail, and visa verse (especially when the current expansion's content drought hit). The idea is for Blizzard to add more content and what better way than vanilla. All things considered, the ROI is worth it.

Thanks for the conversation!

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2016, 13:12.

9. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 11:58 Kxmode

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:27:
Nostalrius has basically come out with an 'or else' statement in regards to whether or not they'll be mentioned at Blizzcon so that's interesting.

I believe the "or else" pertains to their code, tools, and improvements they've made to MaNGOS. They've only held out from releasing them in the hopes Blizzard would do legacy servers. It will be interesting to see what happens.

31. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 11:09 Kxmode

No Man's Sky 2 looks good.

3. Re: New WoW Game Director Oct 14, 2016, 11:03 Kxmode

After the fury storm from the Nostalrius community and the greater legacy revival effort in general, Ion Hazzikostas has repeatedly stated (and I paraphrasing) his desire to focus on the current game and not to do anything with Legacy content. I am pretty sure legacy servers is now DOA despite the significant demand for it. However, if at BlizzCon, they announce it I would be surprised. I will not hold my breath.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
12. Re: Into the Black Oct 13, 2016, 01:18 Kxmode

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 00:17:
I remember a time a few years ago we were celebrating the new golden age of space sims. Elite Dangerous! No Mans Sky! Star Citizen! X Rebirth! Man that did not turn out like expected. At least one of them worked out ok.

Ironically, I heard only great things about the Death Star DLC for SW:BF. It's not even a space sim. lol. Check out this gameplay footage in glorious 4K, 60FPS (the commentary isn't too bad)! Also, I recommend viewing in Chrome.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
7. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 12, 2016, 22:54 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:36:
Cool, they are patching the game. Now if they could only patch the broken folks who pre-order games.

Absolutely. I was one of those broken people to preorder. I thought I did significant homework, but it all came down to Sean and his word. Well, NMS taught me a vital lesson. Never trust anyone, especially a millennial in a flannel shirt with an "aww shucks" demeanor. As far as warning people from preordering. You did it. Total Biscuit has done it. Unfortunately, there is a long way to go. Check out what happened when someone tried to warn Steam users from the pain of preorder disappointment on Shadow Warrior 2. Vitriol, to say the least.

11744 Comments. 588 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo