Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 16186 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Street Fighter V Free Weekend

1. Re: Street Fighter V Free Weekend Nov 22, 2019, 12:53 Kxmode

"How do you feel about people who go Hadouken?"  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx in March

81. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 10:46 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 04:23:
Building a new rig (finally):

Old components that Im keeping from my old PC: RTX2060 6GB

New components:
i59600k
32GB Ram
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming Extreme
SSD Samsung 860 1 TB
HD Seagate Firecuda 2 TB
Antec 750W Gold
Cooler Be Quiet 4
Oculus Rift S

Thoughts?

That looks like a decent build. A few recommendations, if I may.

- Bump up the CPU (and mobo for support). A lot of modern games still rely on the CPU to handle complex geometry data.

- Switch to an M.2 SSD. You can pick up a 1TB for $100-150 or a 2TB for $200-$250. You can't even imagine how fast an SSD is. Windows 10, for example, takes 10 seconds to cold boot up (that's from power off to login with all system tray apps loaded). Most games launch in 15-20 seconds. Gameplay performance is excellent considering the near-instantaneous file/texture/asset/resource handling.

- You might run into issues with the power supply. I had a 650W, and my system would power off when playing games. Perhaps bump up to 1KW.

Here's my system for context:
CPU: I7-8700
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-2133
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
Drive 1: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB
Drive 2: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB
Drive 3: WD Black 2 TB 7200
PSU: 1600 Watt CORSAIR AX1600i
DISPLAYS: (2) LG 27" 4K UHD IPS

I had 4K60 in mind when putting together this system, and I'm happy to say most games perform at 60 or higher with max settings.

Jedi Fallen Order [max settings]: 60-90 FPS
Wreckfest [max]: 150
GreedFall [max]: 90
Elder Scrolls Online [max]: 145
Guild Wars 2 [max]: 70
Assassin's Creed Odyssey [max]: 60
Rage 2 [max]: 60
American Truck Simulator [max]: 120
World of Warcraft (current expansion) [max]: 60
Metal Gear Solid 5 [max]: 60

No doubt, the video card, and SSDs provide most of the performance boost, followed by the CPU and RAM. The CPU does struggle with a handful of games. If I upgraded it and the mobo, I could bump up the min framerate to 75/100.

So that will hopefully provide a benchmark.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

News Comments > Get Bad North for Free

15. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 03:49 Kxmode

peteham wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:45:
I have such a terrible login experience every time I head over there to claim my freebies. It may be better in the actual client, I don't know, but it doesn't instill a lot of confidence when it comes to the possibility of making actual purchases on their entire platform. I mean, I don't use this thing more than once per month but I pretty much always have some sort of issue logging in when I do.

Right now, I'm just getting a spinner "Verifying". So yeah.. Guess I'll try later.

Usually, it's their terrible 2FA causing the hold up. They've lazily NOT opted to support any of the default authenticators out there and instead send you a code by email. An email that I have yet to see arrive in timely fashion. Request your login code today, sign in tomorrow!

I see a similar problem with AT&T every month when I go to pay my bill. Deleting the domain's cookies typically fixes the problem. Try that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2019, 02:42 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:18:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 19:04:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 16:15:
Bandwidth upgrade to up-to 1 Gbps. Current speeds. How long it takes to download 19.2GB.
Yep. Standard problem. Amusingly the fastest speeds I've seen are from overseas. I downloaded a large update for E:D (from the UK to the US) and hit my cap of 300 mbps.

Holy schmoly! Rechecked speed. Dance

Well, a lot of people have gone to bed already.

But I have fiber. They all snake off a central hub, but each house has its own dedicated line that goes directly to the Internet backbone.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2019, 02:07 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 19:04:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 16:15:
Bandwidth upgrade to up-to 1 Gbps. Current speeds. How long it takes to download 19.2GB.
Yep. Standard problem. Amusingly the fastest speeds I've seen are from overseas. I downloaded a large update for E:D (from the UK to the US) and hit my cap of 300 mbps.

Holy schmoly! Rechecked speed. Dance

72. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 02:03 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 02:00:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 23:00:
This was the only way it could happen. VR needs a top-notch game that gets people’s attention, and since VR can’t compete on flashy graphics, it has to be a *name* everyone loves. It also has to be made by a company that KNOWS it won’t ever turn a profit, which means they can’t have shareholders. It would also need a company that’s already worked on VR interactions before, as it’s so alien that developers are STILL trying to figure out how to use it.

Valve is the only company in that position, and they did it. They 100% knew it would piss off a ton of people, but VR can’t survive without REAL games for it.

You can be cranky old men about it, or give it an honest try instead of pretending you already know what it’s like. Precisely zero people have tried my VR setup and walked away disappointed. Did they buy a set themselves? Generally, no. But they have a positive impression of it, which was all I was looking for. VR isn’t cheap, but it IS an experience unlike anything else. Valve knows it. Everyone who’s given it a chance knows it.

This is a great post with perspective. Only Valve could have done this, because the money is up on the screen, and it absolutely won't turn a profit through the game sales. It might sell more headsets, and they're hoping a lot of them will be Index. Note that they could have been dicks and made this an Index exclusive.

I suppose that's one way to put, but I called it WAY back in the day when the Oculus was first emerging. All of it can be distilled down into two words: killer app. A killer app is the ONLY thing that will enable mass adoption of VR, and once mass adoption happens where VR goes will be limitless.

69. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:57 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 18:12:
Well, I for one welcome our new VR overlords.

Don't you mean the VR Combine?

67. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:54 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 15:14:
VR only? Valve can go and fuck themselves for screwing us over like this. We have been waiting on a new Half Life game for a decade and this is the bullshit they pull. Yea, fuck you valve!!

How do you suppose they get people to buy their new VR device? Make a game "that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology." aka a killer app

65. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:52 Kxmode

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 14:16:
Seeing the finger movements definitely makes an Index purchase that much more appealing.... That scavenging for ammo, though!

That was my favorite part and greatly piqued my interest.

63. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:51 Kxmode

Saboth wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 13:36:
AKA: Half Life: Buy the Vive, now!

Naw dawg. Buy an Index. Valve's VR.

61. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:47 Kxmode

chickenboo wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 13:33:
I for one am happy to see Valve releasing another HL title. I don't have VR gear but depending on reviews it may prompt me to pick up a headset.

There it is! Killerapp. Called it!

60. Re: Half-Life: Alyx in March Nov 22, 2019, 01:47 Kxmode

Pretty sure this is going to be THE killer app for VR. I've sat out of VR this whole time because nothing ever interested me. But this... this is amazing.

Publishers and VR device mfgrs better give Valve some love here, because this could be THE game that pushes hardware sales and in turn fuel more VR games.

13. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 01:42 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 01:24:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2019, 01:17:
Notice how the quality of freebies is dwindling. Nothing against this game, but when Epic bombastically announced their regular freebie offerings, they started with prominent or well-known titles. Now we have this.

Something very similar happened with Origin. EA launched their "On The House" freebies with prominent or well-known EA titles, and by the end, they were giving away Peggle.

OMG, you did *not* just dis Peggle.

Yes. I dissed Peggle.* I have no shame.

* i snatched it.

News Comments > More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans

6. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 22, 2019, 01:22 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 12:52:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 12:46:
It's for people who want RTX 2080 Ti quality graphics but at GTX 1050 prices. One reason why players pick a console instead of PC is the entry cost is much cheaper. With cloud-streaming, the charge is even less expensive, relatively speaking, of course. I'm sure, over the long term, the cost will end up more than the console or a high-end PC route.

The trouble is that they're delivering Geforce 1070 graphics, you still have to buy all of the software and you're heavily reliant on external factors outside of your control. I just don't see a cost model where they can actually deliver on their promises with a large user base, these things all feel like little experiments. Amazon knows cloud computing but shit all about the gaming market. At least Microsoft and Sony have had some experience with this and understand the business.

"gaming is going to the cloud" is something I keep hearing repeated (not by you, just generally) but so far it's frankly not impressive and reminds me of the "gaming will transition to mobile" nonsense from 7 years ago. If anything it will just be another market, not the only one.

I see what you mean. Well that sucks. What's the point of Stadia then? Seems like a DOA product.

"When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," Bungie told The Verge.

ewww. It's the video game equivilent of O'Doul's. Puke

9. Re: Get Bad North for Free Nov 22, 2019, 01:17 Kxmode

Notice how the quality of freebies is dwindling. Nothing against this game, but when Epic bombastically announced their regular freebie offerings, they started with prominent or well-known titles. Now we have this.

Something very similar happened with Origin. EA launched their "On The House" freebies with prominent or well-known EA titles, and by the end, they were giving away Peggle.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2019, 16:15 Kxmode

News Comments > More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans

3. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 12:46 Kxmode

VoodooV wrote on Nov 21, 2019, 11:12:
I don't understand why anyone would want this.

It's for people who want RTX 2080 Ti quality graphics but at GTX 1050 prices. One reason why players pick a console instead of PC is the entry cost is much cheaper. With cloud-streaming, the charge is even less expensive, relatively speaking, of course. I'm sure, over the long term, the cost will end up more than the console or a high-end PC route.

News Comments > Arkane Vets Form WolfEye Studios

1. Re: Arkane Vets Form WolfEye Studios Nov 20, 2019, 22:28 Kxmode

Arkane is known for the Dishonored series, BioShock 2, Prey (2017), and the more recent Wolfenstein entries.  

News Comments > Shenmue III Released

12. Re: Shenmue III Released Nov 20, 2019, 02:22 Kxmode

Heltorne wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 23:13:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 12:37:
One game that burned its backers.

Unless I missed something the only real problem for the backers that happened was that it's not coming out on steam like they initially said it would so I would say that's a very minor burn compared to a lot of other games.

That is not a "very minor burn." Did you not read the quote where one backer for Firmament expressed concerns about backing the game? They "[had] no interest [in] providing a no-interest loan." No doubt a direct result of EGS exclusivity. That's not a small deal when it comes to a funding model that is heavily reliant on the generosity of others, and even more so when there are promises involved.

News Comments > Game Awards Nominees

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 02:19 Kxmode

Can we please change the name of this to The Game Payola Awards?  

16186 Comments. 810 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >