Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 15858 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Billion Dollar Borderlands 3
62. Re: Playing for the Planet Sep 23, 2019, 22:11 Kxmode

Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:47:
Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:29:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 20:39:
Or just pay their employees better salaries, which indirectly helps them make more and/or better games.

That whole "They'll pay their developers better salaries!" thing sounds really familiar... Where have we heard that before? Trickle-Down something something?

Please stop with this argument. It's a dumb argument. The big corporate tax cut was going to give everyone big fat raises too. Everyone who actually got a big fat raise, rather than absolutely jack shit or a one-time miserly bonus (which got taxed extra), please raise your hands.

Publishers aren't going to give the extra 18% to their developers. Trickle Down economics don't work, no matter how many times we try them, because the people who are supposed to be trickling down are greedy fucking bastards.

(I totally get why publishers prefer EGS over Steam, 18% is 18% and it's a BIG chunk of cash. I just wish people would stop with this trickle down argument.)

By that logic, Steam's profits all go to GabeN's wallet and none of it towards Valve game development, right?

Yup. 30% goes to the infrastructure perks, plus the developer salaries to continue developing things via the Lab, plus all the staff to keep the gears running relatively smoothly. When you consider what Epic offers, it's worth about 12%. For a 12% cut the publisher only has the ability to sell a game on EGS; that's it. The publisher better hope interested customers will get around to the buying their game because, you know, no shopping cart. I don't know about you but I'm done after my second go-around purchase on Steam or GOG.

I guess one benefit exclusivity brings to Steam users is EGS customers basically beta test the product for 6 months to a year for a better Steam release.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2019, 04:42.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 21:59 Kxmode

saluk wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 19:29:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 16:51:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 15:34:
A high percentage want nothing to do with EGS and would have bought BL3 on Steam
Got a source on that, mate?

Here are the facts.

EGS = 90-100 million total registered accounts
Steam = 90-100 million ACTIVE monthly accounts (one billion total registered accounts). It's important to note the distinction between total registered and active monthly. They are not the same.

Based on that, probability math can help establish reasonably accurate conclusions.

If an equal percentage of Steam and EGS consumers remained excited about BL3 before release (which is plausible given both games released on Steam and grew its fanbase there), then the numbers are higher for Steam than EGS given its user base. In other words, that many could buy but chose not to because as noted in my previous comment, 1. No other choice but EGS and 2. won't buy games from EGS. Despite the "success" Take 2 is touting, the fact remains the lack of Steam sales crippled that success.

It's not complicated.

Here are the facts:

People who don't buy the game ever because of the exclusive deal is very low. The main group of BL3 fans they market to don't care enough to not buy it, giving more money per sale to the publisher. Most of those who wouldn't pick it up now will pick it up later on steam. Publisher makes less money there, but the biggest value of having a game on steam is actually the long tale so the initial sales don't matter as much over time.

For a very minimal loss on # of sold copies, the publisher makes a significantly higher income from putting the sales on the exclusive store that gives a higher cut.

If those sales had been through steam, the publisher would lose money overall. They might sell more now, but will ultimately make more money over time through the deal.

Because of the Epic $$$ advance that is given up front as part of the deal, that offsets the initial loss of sales.

Devs and publishers don't hate steam. They take the deal because it's a good deal (even if its bad for consumers).

40% of the EGS customer don't have Steam installed. At a bare minimum, up to 20-30 million of the 90-100 million active monthly Steam users didn't buy BL3 on release (40% of EGS doesn't exactly equal 40% of Steam's number). That's a known.

The only reason BL3 was a success in Take 2's eyes is Epic subsidized the game's sales targets likely based on exponentially better performance using Steam data. In other words, the game on its own did not do well on actual customer purchases. I suspect most of the success came from console sales and probably not as good as hoped given the ending lifecycle of current-gen systems.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

57. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 21:25 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 18:29:
A high percentage want nothing to do with EGS and would have bought BL3 on Steam
EGS = 90-100 million
Steam = 90-100 million
edited for less waaahhhh
Here are the facts.
People who have both EGS+steam accounts = 90-100 million total accounts. Not even complicated
/thread

Are you serious? Let's break down your strange numbers. (Worth noting 1% on Steam is not the same as 1% on EGS for the sake of a 1:1 comparison, let's say that it is.)

Epic stated 40% of their users don't have Steam installed likely because they checked their drives for Steam files after launching EGS for the first time. So we can subtract 40% from 90-100 million.

60 million. So let's figure approximately 25 million want nothing to do with EGS for a variety of reasons (e.g., Chinese conspiracy with Tencent [I think this is ridiculous but whatever], forced exclusivity, lack of features, broken cloud saves, not trusting Epic, hating Fortnite, and so forth). So we can subtract that from 60 million.

35 million. Let's give EGS a healthy 50% is active monthly. That means roughly 17.5 million people are active on EGS every month. Want to bet how many of those purchased Borderlands 3? How many are playing? https://www.twitch.tv/directory shows 14K viewers. To put that in perspective, Path of Exile, an indie title has around half the viewers at 7K. For a AAA title with a big marketing budget, BL3 is a failure on Twitch.

So no, it's not even remotely the same.

P.S. These are the facts despite Redeye's attempt to whitewash the data with "edited for less waaahhhh":

"EGS = 90-100 million total registered accounts
Steam = 90-100 million ACTIVE monthly accounts (one billion total registered accounts). It's important to note the distinction between total registered and active monthly. They are not the same."

Steam's numbers are the 800-pound gorilla in the room. You can't cover them up or get around them. The fact is those numbers show a day and night difference and by extension equates to the total number of units sold, or in the case of Steam the potential that Take 2 could have made had they sold on Steam.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2019, 22:04.

56. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 20:56 Kxmode

Borderlands 3 claimed the top position on Twitch for Most-Watched Game on its launch day

There's only one game that can claim the record for Most-Watched Game on its launch day. WOW Classic. Yes, it had a legit launch that counts for total viewership. It set the record less than a month ago on 8/26 with over a million views on launch day. Google it. No where is BL3 mentioned. Also, "Twitch viewers have watched WoW Classic for over 55 million hours." And a archive.org capture of Twitch's Browse page on 9/13 (BL3's release day) shows, via the top Recommended Channels, BL3 with sub-standard numbers behind WOW, Gear 5, Overwatch, LOL, and Fortnite.

Calling BS on Take 2's boost.

54. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 20:34 Kxmode

Chipp0r wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 17:01:
I don't get all the silly hate about which store you buy the game from, especially when developers get more from it.

I have a lot of stores, EA's origin, Uplay, Blizz launcher, Epic and Steam and I don't mind. Yes it'd be great for a unified launcher, but guess what, I have desktop shortcuts!

Platform exclusives, now I can see that being annoying as you need to buy different hardware to play the game but simply installing another launcher for free to buy/play on the same hardware is hardly worthy of the whinging I see here.

PC gamers are supposed to be gritter than console players as we've gone through the challenges of setting up a gaming system. Perhaps we've had it too easy and a return to the dos days would make people appreciate what they have.

Back on topic, I'm glad it's sold well.

Offhand: brand loyalty*, the need to consolidate things**, no choice***. These are behavioral patterns. Perhaps not so much in your case, because you don't care or don't have any behavioral patterns. But for many, those are big things.

*brand loyalty = Apple vs. Android, 49ers vs. Raiders, Marvel vs. DC films, Porsche vs. Ferrari, etc.
**the need to consolidate things = Tupperware, containers, boxes, binders, putting as many items in one place as possible, so things aren't fragmented or cluttered.
***no choice = your ability to make a choice is removed, the choice is made for you, forced to do something because there's no other option

52. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 20:21 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 16:58:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 15:31:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 14:11:
Hahahahahaha MEGALOL @ all the EGS hater parrots

Gotta face the truth, you whiny babies, you are maybe a 3% minority. The vast majority of gamers doesn't give a shit and just plays the games they want, no matter where they are released.

Suck it up and weep silently, please. It's embarrassing to see grown men in tears like this.

Classic tribal mentality: "My team is better than yours."

Worth considering:

1. A high percentage want nothing to do with EGS and would have bought BL3 on Steam.
2. If given a choice between Steam or Epic a high number would have purchased on Steam (that includes EGS customers)

The probability is the game would have been more successful on both EGS and Steam (representing a complete picture of the PC platform) and less successful on EGS (by itself is not the entire PC platform).

I don't see the boosting of PC sales as a success. I only see it as a validation that the Epic Game Store did well despite its myriad of issues and missing features. As noted above, it doesn't represent success on PC because Steam is missing from the equation. You can say, "it doesn't matter." It very much matters since Steam IS the most significant player on the block.

TL;DR - Take 2's data is missing a vital consumer base effectively crippling their stats. Epic was only "successful" because they held PC gamers hostage to only buy from their platform. That's not success.

No shit, Sherlock. Ya figured all of that out by yourself or did Watson have to help ya with that whole Captain Obvious non-news story?

It goes w/o saying that BL3 would have sold more on a platform that gets traffic from 90 million peeps/month. Wow. What an amazing insight!

It's cute how you crybabies try to downplay the huge success of BL3 on EGS. The Metro publisher THQ was also very happy with Metro's performance on EGS. Aaaaawww. Such a pity for y'all...

Whatever. The FACT is that contrary to your imaginary wet dreams of a complete commercial failure on the EGS, BL3 did very, very, very exceptionally well because the vast majority of gamers are not a crybaby toddler like you and the rest of the hater brigade here! Deal widdit.

Re: It goes w/o saying that BL3 would have sold more on a platform that gets traffic from 90 million peeps/month. Wow. What an amazing insight!

"EGS = 90-100 million total registered accounts
Steam = 90-100 million ACTIVE monthly accounts (one billion total registered accounts). It's important to note the distinction between total registered and active monthly. They are not the same."

Your data is wrong. Steam is the platform that gets 90+ million visitors a month, not EGS. It is also where most of the growth for the BL franchise grew on PC.

To the rest of your screed, all I can say is "Confirmation bias much?" Here you live in a hive-mind. The hive, in this case, is the die-hard anti-Steam crowd. It's so evident in your case that you didn't even bother to dig into the details reported. You were purely content with "throwing it into people's face" (and still do in your reply) as a measure of success. Only when I defused the potency of the data with reasonable probabilities did you reply with "No XXXX, Sherlock" and "Captain Obvious."

Also, attacking me and not addressing the data I presented is classic ad hominems. On this topic you've lost a lot of credibility.

33. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 16:52 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 16:02:
crickets

Because I was doing something else bruv. I'm not here constantly refreshing pages to look for something to troll about.

31. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 16:51 Kxmode

Here are the facts.

EGS = 90-100 million total registered accounts
Steam = 90-100 million ACTIVE monthly accounts (one billion total registered accounts). It's important to note the distinction between total registered and active monthly. They are not the same.

Based on that, probability math can help establish reasonably accurate conclusions.

If an equal percentage of Steam and EGS consumers remained excited about BL3 before release (which is plausible given both games released on Steam and grew its fanbase there), then the numbers are higher for Steam than EGS given its user base. In other words, that many could buy but chose not to because as noted in my previous comment, 1. No other choice but EGS and 2. won't buy games from EGS. Despite the "success" Take 2 is touting, the fact remains the lack of Steam sales crippled that success.

It's not complicated.

25. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 15:31 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 14:11:
Hahahahahaha MEGALOL @ all the EGS hater parrots

Gotta face the truth, you whiny babies, you are maybe a 3% minority. The vast majority of gamers doesn't give a shit and just plays the games they want, no matter where they are released.

Suck it up and weep silently, please. It's embarrassing to see grown men in tears like this.

Classic tribal mentality: "My team is better than yours."

Worth considering:

1. A high percentage want nothing to do with EGS and would have bought BL3 on Steam.
2. If given a choice between Steam or Epic a high number would have purchased on Steam (that includes EGS customers)

The probability is the game would have been more successful on both EGS and Steam (representing a complete picture of the PC platform) and less successful on EGS (by itself is not the entire PC platform).

I don't see the boosting of PC sales as a success. I only see it as a validation that the Epic Game Store did well despite its myriad of issues and missing features. As noted above, it doesn't represent success on PC because Steam is missing from the equation. You can say, "it doesn't matter." It very much matters since Steam IS the most significant player on the block.

TL;DR - Take 2's data is missing a vital consumer base effectively crippling their stats. Epic was only "successful" because they held PC gamers hostage to only buy from their platform. That's not success.

23. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 15:03 Kxmode

How much more so could it have been had they gone EGS and Steam? The world will never know.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy Sep 22, 2019, 16:02 Kxmode

R.I.P. Eisenberg. The first Ferengi in Starfleet. He gave a great performance in the "The Siege of AR-558" and follow-up "It's Only a Paper Moon". Great actor. Salute  

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2019, 18:23 Kxmode

KS wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 08:39:
El Pit wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 17:40:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 13:46:
El Pit wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 12:31:
Don't keep that money - give it to your God ChrisT Roberts!"

Fixed that for you. Such a missed opportunity.

Damn! Thanks, mate!

Fyi that is the Christ in Christopher. And remember that, next time someone looks oddly at Mexicans naming kids Jesus.

But it's not pronounced Jesus but "Hey Zuez."

News Comments > Untitled Goose Game Flies Out
6. Re: Untitled Goose Game Flies Out Sep 21, 2019, 18:18 Kxmode

Really hate the art style.  

News Comments > Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+?
28. Re: Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+? Sep 21, 2019, 18:11 Kxmode

necrosis wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 01:25:
Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 20:20:
It doesn't matter how much Epic is paying it matters if they - devs - would have sold more without the exclusive. Meh, whatevs, 10 mil for a game to sit around for a year while they polish it and sell the 'finished' version everywhere else for cheaper later on? I'm fine with that as Epic seems to be fine with wasting its money.

There is that but there is also the fact byt the time it hits Steam (at least I) how many will actually give a shit about the game? I already care little about Metro anymore.

Also I would not be surprised if these dumb asses try and sell it on steam for $60 because it is "new". They did this shit with console games when they came to PC (even years) after they were on console.

It'll flop on Steam if they charge full-price. That would be the proverbial salt on the wound.

News Comments > Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+?
4. Re: Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+? Sep 20, 2019, 22:11 Kxmode

This can't be financially sustainable  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2019, 18:45 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 15:04:
Game-development-as-a-service

Early-Access-Game-Development-as-a-Service. FTFY.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2019, 18:44 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 12:31:
Billy Graham: "Weeeelcooooome to the Star Citizen Church! And remember, oh you faithful people - the more you giveth, the closer you are to paradise! Don't keep that money - give it to your God Chris Roberts!"

"Don't know how? Heavens to betsy! We have all kinds of fancy new JPGs you can spend your seed money on and if you don't send us money, God will be extremely angry with you. Chris be praised! Tabernacle!"

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2019, 18:37 Kxmode

"Chris Roberts has spent seven eight years

Development began in 2011. Chris spent a year and over a million dollars working with the Crytek folks to create the announcement trailer that debut at GDC Online in Austin in 2012.

That said, perspective is essential. Here is a list of the video games that spent a long time in development.

Half-Life 2: 1999-2004 (5 years)
Final Fantasy 12: 2000-2006 (6 years)
Resident Evil 4: 1999-2005 (6 years)
Deus Ex: 1994-2000 (6 years)
The Last Guardian: 2009-2015 (6 years)
L.A. Noire: 2004-2011 (7 years)
Aliens Colonial Marines: 2006-2013 (7 years)
Galleon: 1997-2004 (7 years)
Spore: 2000-2008 (8 years)
Star Citizen: 2011-2019 (8 years)
Too Human: 1999-2008 (9 years)
Team Fortress 2: 1998-2007 (9 years)
Final Fantasy 15: 2006-2016 (10 years)
Diablo 3: 2001-2012 (11 years)
Prey: 1995-2006 (11 years)
StarCraft 2: 2003-2015 (12 years)
Duke Nukem Forever: 1996-2011 (15 years)

Comparatively, TF2, D3, SC2, and FF15 took longer to publish.

News Comments > Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy
3. Re: Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy Sep 20, 2019, 18:16 Kxmode

Platform agnostic crowdfunding AND third-party exclusivity. What could possibly go wrong?  

News Comments > French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales
7. Re: French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales Sep 19, 2019, 21:35 Kxmode

Although you pay full price for titles on Steam, you do not own games you buy on Steam.

Excuse me? I beg to differ Valve. Unless it's a service like Netflix or World of Warcraft, the products I purchased on Steam are digital goods covered under basic consumer protection laws. If you want to say, "you can't trade because our platform doesn't offer that" that's fine. But don't claim you own MY purchased good.

If they go that path, I'll start buying from GOG.

15858 Comments. 793 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo