Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description TamperMonkey scripts:
- Hide Users on BluesNews
- Min Price Filter for SteamDB
- Steam Wishlist Sale Items
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 15858 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans
14. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 14, 2019, 23:34 Kxmode

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 20:16:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 19:04:
The thing is VR, not AR, is the best enhancement for a flight simulator.

That's not at all clear on the basis of first-gen headsets. Some issues:
* VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor. This renders instruments and displays harder to read and, in a combat sim, other planes and ground targets harder to distinguish. This was my number one complaint with trying out an Oculus with DCS: it was felt comparable to downgrading back to a 1080p display.
* Peripherals become harder to use. I do not have an extensive peripheral setup, just the Warthog HOTAS, but the switch panel integrated into the base of the throttle was basically unusable without taking both hands off the controls, using one to raise the headset a bit, and then glancing down with my peripheral vision to manipulate a switch with my other hand. The fact that the switch panel was rendered in game was little help unless the switch I wanted was at the edge of the panel.
* Head tracking has been a solved problem for about 15 years thanks to TrackIR and VR offers little real improvement. TrackIR isn't perfect, but once you have well calibrated input curves, and so long as direct sunlight isn't shining into the tracker's FoV, then it works very well.

What VR has to offer over a standard setup is immersion and depth perception, but right now it is simply less usable than the alternatives, albeit still a really cool experience. As the displays improve, I could see VR eventually becoming preferable to a 4k monitor + TrackIR. Until then though, it's a tough sell for a hobby where you never have enough pixel density.

1. Augmented reality means you're looking at a three-dimension objects placed into your field of view (likely the room with your computer). You can't immerse yourself in a flight simulator with augmented reality. Virtual reality, on the other hand, puts you into a fully immersive environment.

2. I'm sorry, but your statement that "VR headsets are less sharp and have less clarity of image as compared to a 4K monitor" is wrong, and here's why. Valve's Index "uses a 14401600 LCD panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 28801600." 4K-UHD is 38402160 (this is the more common resolution for gamings) and true 4K 40962160 (this is the more common 4K resolution for movies and broadcasts). The index gives you a screen dimension that is 1000560 less than 4K-UHD. When you're eyes see an image at 28801600, you will notice the better visual fidelity.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans
1. Re: Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans Oct 14, 2019, 23:19 Kxmode

Can they detect whether someone's connection died during a multiplayer match? I suspect not.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

News Comments > Fortnite Apocalypse
18. Re: Fortnite Apocalypse Oct 14, 2019, 19:47 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 16:41:
Byte wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 16:38:
Initially was a cool PR Stunt, but based on the amount of streamers who were ...don't give a fuck.
McDonalds is always hiring.

Yup. The cash registers have pictures of food in the shape of icons to make the transition easy.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
11. Re: Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Oct 14, 2019, 19:11 Kxmode

"are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system... for now"  

News Comments > Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
10. Re: Infinity Ward Not Working on Loot Boxes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Oct 14, 2019, 19:09 Kxmode

Is "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare" an apt description of the on-going battle between publishers and consumers?  

News Comments > On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans
10. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 14, 2019, 19:04 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 18:08:
SirKnight wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 12:37:
I don't understand why this wasn't obvious since the start of the project. OF COURSE a flight sim needs VR. There's a piece of software that lets you use VR with Flight Sim X and it's amazing how much more real it feels to be sitting in the cockpit and looking around naturally with your head. Sims are a perfect fit for VR.

Because hardcore/professional flight "simmer" don't prefer VR.... Professional flight simulator need/prefer real instrument panels and multi-screen setup. VR goggles is actually not a good simulator training tool (too cut off from the real world). Flight sim is not only about flying. It is also about instrumental controlling/learning. It is much better the pilot actually TOUCH these buttons/switches/levers. I think MS did the right thing not to spend the initial development time into VR. Map details, plane/aerodynamic physics, atmospheres/weather physics are much more important and MS actually have no less than 5 development teams working on these.

Many professionals train on simulations that emulate a real-world plane. It includes a cockpit that is to scale with all the instrumentation as tangible objects that are not on-screen. The VR in a flight sim would simulate the real-world physics of looking around and interacting with the instruments. It's still not on the level of a professional simulator but would get it closer.

Flight sim and even driving sim DON'T need VR!! It is still a gimmick tools at this point.

VR would be a massive boon in that it follows the real-world physics of looking around. Pilots and drivers do this all the time without thinking.

Some of you who cheap shot MS above have no idea how serious MS develop this version of Flight Simulator.

https://youtu.be/MOPIjzzH1G8

Here are some high tech stuff for it
* Map available: Only ONE map - the Planet EARTH via Microsoft Bing! 3D objects (AI create trees & building...) stream from MS servers!!
* Water affected by wind, created wave
* 32 lays of atmospheres and clouds form depend on them
* full day/night and yearly cycle. Position of sun and moon and stars map correctly.
* aerodynamic physics completely rewritten
* and many more....

I will say this "game" is MUCH MORE technological advance than Star Citizen.

I don't believe anyone is "cheap shotting" Microsoft's commitment to developing a modern flight simulator. They're critical of Microsoft not making VR an integral part of it. The reason may have to do with Microsoft's commitment to AR via their Hololens tech that hasn't taken off as big as VR has. The thing is VR, not AR, is the best enhancement for a flight simulator.

News Comments > BDSM: Big Drunk Satanic Massacre Lets Loose
11. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2019, 22:50 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 18:10:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 15:35:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:17:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:09:
Looks dumb to me.

Most Satanic religious things are.

FTFY

That's your opinion.

That's objective fact.

Relatively speaking.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2019, 22:48 Kxmode

We don't need to know your sexual orientation in a video game. Please keep that private. Also, being called "gay" in a video game is considered an insult not a compliment.  

News Comments > Riot Sues Riot Squad; Riots to Ensue?
12. Re: Riot Sues Riot Squad; Riots to Ensue? Oct 11, 2019, 21:43 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 18:35:
The trademark isn't the word, it's the design associated with the word.

"Riot Games and Riot Squad are both trademarked as separate word marks with iconic imagery" literally means "it's the design associated with the word."

News Comments > PC EARTH DEFENSE FORCE- IRON RAIN Next Week
2. Re: PC EARTH DEFENSE FORCE- IRON RAIN Next Week Oct 11, 2019, 21:18 Kxmode

You have no chance to survive make your time.  

9. Re: Riot Sues Riot Squad; Riots to Ensue? Oct 11, 2019, 17:02 Kxmode

What's interesting is Riot Games, and Riot Squad are both trademarked as separate word marks with iconic imagery.

With regards common words, you're both right. However, the USPTO has allowed a word like "riot" to be trademarked in many categories.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.98 - A company called Riot for "Automobile customization services; Automotive conversion services, namely, installing specialty automotive equipment; Custom installation of automobile interiors; Motorcycle customization services." Registered in 2018. Active.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.141 - A company called Riot for "Structural parts and accessories for drones." Registered in 2017. Active.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.172 - A company called Riot for "Electronic-based instruments for measuring environmental parameters including humidity and temperature; Home and office automation systems comprising wireless and wired controllers, controlled device, and software for lighting, HVAC, security, safety and other home monitoring; Climate control systems consisting of air conditioning, heating, ventilation, and drying control devices; Electronic controls for lighting and electric fans; Electronic control devices for controlling climates and indoor air quality; Electronic control devices for lighting; Remote controls for electric fans; Electric luminescent display panels; Electronic control devices for controlling windows and window coverings." Registered in 2015. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.197 - A company called Riot for "A house mark for Operation of and organizing sports events, namely, lacrosse teams, lacrosse games, lacrosse tournaments, lacrosse clinics, lacrosse training and lacrosse camps." Registered in 2015. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.219 - A company called Riot for "Web-based application services, namely, providing a software application development platform for the development of applications for the connectivity of devices, systems, and services, namely, remote monitoring and control, industrial automation, asset tracking, and field service operations. Web-based application services, namely, providing a software application development platform for software and system developers to prototype and deploy customized connected product applications. Web-based application services, namely, providing an software application development platform for software and system developers to create application frameworks for use in the field of product development." Registered in 2015. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.226 - A company called Riot for "Electronic vapor devices (e-cigarettes)." Registered in 2014. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.249 - A company called Riot! for "Motorcycles and structural parts therefor." Registered in 2014. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.276 - A company called Riot for " Archery bows." Registered in 2011. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.280 - A company called Riot for "Clothing, namely, t-shirts, long sleeve t-shirts, jackets, collared shirts, tops, pants, hats, and caps." Registered in 2011. Active.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.297 - A company called Riot for "Dietary and nutritional supplements." Registered 2013. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.298 - A company called Riot for "Cosmetics." Registered 2013. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.314 - A company called Riot for "cigars and cigar accessories, namely cigar boxes, lighters, ashtrays, cigar bands, cigar cutters and humidors." Registered 2012. Defunct.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.341 - A company called Riot for "Satellite communication services, namely, low data rate, short message, and low power satellite communication services for remote monitoring and control of geographically distributed sensors, assets and internet of things devices; wireless electronic transmission of small amounts of data to and from remotely located internet of things devices via a satellite communication system, namely, using low data rate, short message, low power wireless electronic transmission services; providing telecommunication connectivity services for transfer of small amounts of data via a satellite communication system, namely, using low data rate, short message, and low power connectivity services, and global connectivity services for remotely located internet of things devices" and "Engineering design and consultancy services in connection with satellite communication services, namely, low data rate, short message, and low power satellite communication services for remote monitoring and control of geographically distributed sensors, assets and internet of things devices; engineering design and consultancy services in connection with wireless electronic transmission of small amounts of data to and from remotely located internet of things devices via a satellite communication system, namely, using low data rate, short message, low power wireless electronic transmission services; engineering design and consultancy services in connection with providing telecommunication connectivity services for transfer of small amounts of data via a satellite communication system, namely, using low data rate, short message, and low power connectivity services, and global connectivity services for remotely located internet of things devices." Registered 2018. Active.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4803:z9xkk8.3.342 - A company called Riot for "Bicycles; bicycle parts, namely, frames for bicycles, forks, suspension forks, handle bars for bicycles, bar ends, stems, steering bearings, bicycle handlebar grips, hubs, tyres, wheel trims, pedals, bicycle seat posts, bicycle saddles, suspension shock absorbers, suspension forks, chainstay protection and cycle mudguards" and "Sports articles for cycling sports, namely, protective supports in the nature of knee guards , protectors for elbows and back protectors." Registered 2013. Active.

...and so on and so forth. I guess the USTPO takes common word registrations on a case-by-case basis. They may have felt "riot" is not as common a word as "windows."

5. Re: BDSM: Big Drunk Satanic Massacre Lets Loose Oct 11, 2019, 16:38 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 15:35:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:17:
Looks dumb to me.

Most Satanic religious things are.

FTFY

That's your opinion.

6. Re: Riot Sues Riot Squad; Riots to Ensue? Oct 11, 2019, 14:20 Kxmode

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:11:
ROFL on any attempt to trademark the word riot. You have to wonder about the lack of intelligence exhibited by Riot Games.

It's not an attempt. They have the word riot trademarked for several categories including esports and video games. USTPO allowed it.

2. Re: BDSM: Big Drunk Satanic Massacre Lets Loose Oct 11, 2019, 14:17 Kxmode

Looks dumb to me.

Most Satanic things are.

News Comments > Surviving Mars Free on Epic Games Store
17. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 11, 2019, 13:35 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 07:52:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 03:19:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 02:11:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 19:21:
Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 18:19:
Step One: Give away games
Step Two: ??? Shopping Carts
Step Three: MURDER THE WORLD!

FTFY

Serious question: Why is a shopping cart so important? Do you buy games seven or eight at a time?

I have before, during the bigger Steam sales, and certainly more than one during smaller sales. I know on the Oculus store, another cartless market, I've often wondered why they bother to have themed sales if they don't want people buying more than one game at a time. And when the Origin store finally put the Mass Effect 2 & 3 DLC on sale, I remember thinking, these guys just don't care at all.

If I'm buying from a cartless storefront, and I do want to buy more than one thing, it feels like I'm doing it from some rando's storefront on Geocities, one who apparently hasn't taken notes on what Amazon's been doing in the last twenty-two years or so, rather than a company with Facebook/EA/Fortnite money.
When EGS had 2 freebies at the same time I just doubled up on my meds, had a conference call with my preacher, counselor, therapist, congregation and my psychiatrist and pulled myself up by my bootstraps while moving the mouse and clicking the keyboard.

Only now are the nightmares beginning to fade.

That's nice.

But in all seriousness carts provide an essential convenience to shoppers should they desire to buy more than one item.

News Comments > Stalin vs. Martians 4 Demo
4. Re: Stalin vs. Martians 4 Demo Oct 11, 2019, 13:31 Kxmode

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 06:21:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 19:41:
One of the little known slices of history was Stalin's ongoing fight with Martians. Bloody business that.
Or that he killed more people than Hitler, yet people still accept game titles like this or being able to play him in games more than Hitler.

My comment was a joke and congrats for invoking Godwin's Law in three posts.

4. Re: Riot Sues Riot Squad; Riots to Ensue? Oct 11, 2019, 13:29 Kxmode

I checked Riot Games' trademark and they definitely have esports. It sounds like the people behind Riot Squad didn't do their due diligence.  

News Comments > Stalin vs. Martians 4 Demo
1. Re: Stalin vs. Martians 4 Demo Oct 10, 2019, 19:41 Kxmode

One of the little known slices of history was Stalin's ongoing fight with Martians. Bloody business that.  

9. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 10, 2019, 19:21 Kxmode

Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 18:19:
Step One: Give away games
Step Two: ??? Shopping Carts
Step Three: MURDER THE WORLD!

FTFY

8. Re: Surviving Mars Free on Epic Games Store Oct 10, 2019, 19:20 Kxmode

Glad to be back to this issue.  

15858 Comments. 793 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo