Total Posts
18947 (Ninja)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

18947 Comments. 948 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    948  ] Older

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite
Sep 24, 2021, 19:17
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 24, 2021, 19:17
Sep 24, 2021, 19:17
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Sep 24, 2021, 18:02:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 24, 2021, 15:53:
Beamer wrote on Sep 24, 2021, 07:59:
[rest snipped]
Was OS/2 not a platform?
Was glide not a platform? And there were glide exclusive games that weren't bundles.

What about when CompUSA got exclusive expansion packs? Or, as still happens today, exclusive versions with exclusive features? Or how preordering from one retailer can get weapons other versions don't?

I mean, are any of those a 3rd party software store locking up an exclusive?
What's with the dense routine?

Yes?
If CompUSA had exclusive content and, I am pretty certain, exclusive games, yes.
I'm obviously not talking about brick-and-mortar retail stores. I am also not talking about Operating System platforms.

I think you're joshing me now. πŸ˜„
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 24, 2021, 13:11
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2021, 13:11
Sep 24, 2021, 13:11
 Kxmode

"It's a me, Mario!" πŸ„πŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ„πŸ‘ΈπŸ„
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Re: Focus Home Interactive Store
Sep 24, 2021, 13:08
Kxmode

Re: Focus Home Interactive Store Sep 24, 2021, 13:08
Sep 24, 2021, 13:08
 Kxmode

As long as they don't do third-party exclusives, all in all it's just another brick in the wall.

Sep 24, 2021, 00:03
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 24, 2021, 00:03
Sep 24, 2021, 00:03
 Kxmode

Benzer wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 20:16:
Explain again why anyone cares what "store" they buy the game from.
It's hard to buy a game from any store when you can only buy it from one store. Please don't conflate sim-ship with third-party exclusivity.

Sep 24, 2021, 00:00
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 24, 2021, 00:00
Sep 24, 2021, 00:00
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 18:04:
As many of y'all's milkshakes that Tim Sweeney has guzzled you'd think he'd be fatter than Gabe Newell.
Speaking of drinking milkshakes, shouldn't you be snatching another Epic Games Bore freebie?

Sep 23, 2021, 23:56
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 23:56
Sep 23, 2021, 23:56
 Kxmode

DarkCntry wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 16:48:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 13:34:
Beamer wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 07:52:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 03:24:
Slick wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 00:35:
MondoCalrissian wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 23:52:
Epic built their empire by stealing game ideas from smaller studios and locking games to their platform. There are no heroes here.
And Epic is far from the first platform to play the exclusive game, in fact, they're pretty late to the party.
Would you mind providing one example in all of PC gaming history where there was such a thing as third-party exclusives? And for the love of goodness, please don't point to games on Origin, UPlay, or Battle.net.

Much of what is on Steam is only on Steam?
Oh! You think being there because it's big and successful and the developer chose to be there to make more money is different than exclusives on Epic, which are only there because Epic is big and successful and devs choose to be there to make more money.

And maybe you forget back when some entire games, and lots of features of games, were 3dfx exclusive. But you think that's different, because it used tech, and somehow it's better to require a user buy a different $300 card than to just download a different storefront.

And we had a handful of Intel exclusive games, such as POD.

And, well, what if we go back further, to when games were DOS exclusive or OS/2 exclusive. But that's fine to you, because somehow having to change operating systems is better than having to use a second store.

Even further back, man, lots of exclusives to Amiga.

I've never in my life met someone as brand loyal as you.
I'm not referring to exclusive games that came bundled with hardware. I meant platforms that exclusively sell video games, so I apologize for not specifically making that clear. By extension, I am also not referring to legacy operating systems since none before Windows 2000 had platforms that sold video games. In the future, I will try to be more specific.
That means you're goalpost moving then, as your original request was to find in all of PC gaming history, but when that it was shown to exist you further 'clarified' the request to fit a very specific niche...

The point is that we've had exclusives from day 1 of video gaming, day 1 of PC gaming, day 1 of board gaming...it's a matter of perspective. What Epic is doing isn't locking down games to only their store, it's, at worst, stupid timing inconvenience. I remember having specific-hardware limited software back in the early days, from Apple II-era to IBM-compatible-era that would only work on specific models, which is far worse than whatever is happening today. I mean, 12 months is annoying as hell to wait, but almost EVERYONE that posts on Blues is literally going "well I'll wait until the game is complete/bug patches are done, see you in a year" so it really doesn't matter anyways...look at it as pre-purchasing early access.

No. I'm not "goalposting." In my mind, I was asking for an example where any third-party game was sold exclusively on a platform before Epic brought it to PC. The "please don't point to games on Origin, UPlay, or Battle.net" provides the platform context. Again, as I said, in the future, I will try to be more specific.

Sep 23, 2021, 13:34
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 13:34
Sep 23, 2021, 13:34
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 07:52:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 03:24:
Epic built their empire by stealing game ideas from smaller studios and locking games to their platform. There are no heroes here.
And Epic is far from the first platform to play the exclusive game, in fact, they're pretty late to the party.
Would you mind providing one example in all of PC gaming history where there was such a thing as third-party exclusives? And for the love of goodness, please don't point to games on Origin, UPlay, or Battle.net.

Much of what is on Steam is only on Steam?
Oh! You think being there because it's big and successful and the developer chose to be there to make more money is different than exclusives on Epic, which are only there because Epic is big and successful and devs choose to be there to make more money.

And maybe you forget back when some entire games, and lots of features of games, were 3dfx exclusive. But you think that's different, because it used tech, and somehow it's better to require a user buy a different $300 card than to just download a different storefront.

And we had a handful of Intel exclusive games, such as POD.

And, well, what if we go back further, to when games were DOS exclusive or OS/2 exclusive. But that's fine to you, because somehow having to change operating systems is better than having to use a second store.

Even further back, man, lots of exclusives to Amiga.

I've never in my life met someone as brand loyal as you.
I'm not referring to exclusive games that came bundled with hardware. I meant platforms that exclusively sell video games, so I apologize for not specifically making that clear. By extension, I am also not referring to legacy operating systems since none before Windows 2000 had platforms that sold video games. In the future, I will try to be more specific.

Sep 23, 2021, 13:24
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 13:24
Sep 23, 2021, 13:24
 Kxmode

Razumen wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 05:52:
Lol, Epic is learning the true meaning of "F*ck around and find out."
I like "when you mess with the bull, you get the horns." πŸ‚

Sep 23, 2021, 03:24
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 03:24
Sep 23, 2021, 03:24
 Kxmode

Re: Push Your Family Released
Sep 23, 2021, 03:06
Kxmode

Re: Push Your Family Released Sep 23, 2021, 03:06
Sep 23, 2021, 03:06
 Kxmode

Professional pushers. Don't try this at home.

Sep 23, 2021, 02:32
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 02:32
Sep 23, 2021, 02:32
 Kxmode

fakespyder wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 22:38:
One word Sweeney: Darq
Indeed!

Sep 23, 2021, 02:30
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 02:30
Sep 23, 2021, 02:30
 Kxmode

Philll wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 21:27:
Why isn't Sweeney happy just having it on one app store? Google Play?

Because Google banned Fortnite from Play, and is likely to mirror Apple's decisions. Essentially Fortnite doesn't exist as a mobile game. πŸ˜„

Sep 23, 2021, 02:27
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 02:27
Sep 23, 2021, 02:27
 Kxmode

Bumpy wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 20:42:
Picking a lesser of 2 evils is tough but I side with Apple. I truly despise the exclusive tactics Epic brought to PC gaming.
^^^^ πŸ’―%

Sep 23, 2021, 02:26
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 02:26
Sep 23, 2021, 02:26
 Kxmode

Pallais wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 20:07:
This whole thing just feels like Epic is trying to wing everything instead of sitting down and making a coldly calculated campaign.
It's kind of like that store of theirs with its anti-consumer third-party exclusives that Epic didn't contribute a single dime to help produce. The data proved that when people had real choices, most did not buy from EGS even though that meant waiting a month.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2021, 02:37.

Sep 23, 2021, 02:12
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 02:12
Sep 23, 2021, 02:12
 Kxmode

I can't believe Apple lied not just to Epic, but to the entire world *rolls eyes*. I really wish Tim Sweeney would stop desperately trying to spin everything like a politician caught in a scandal. Apple uses a closed platform to control developers and customers, Epic built their empire by stealing game ideas from smaller studios and locking games to their platform. There are no heroes here.
He's trying so hard to do the grassroots things, but if that store of his is any indication, all he knows how to do is astroturf. It is not unlike a 6-year-old fake-bawling in Target's toy aisle.

I'm just happy by this whole thing. I know the financial damage from this (and I assume by extension a Google Play ban) coupled with his store operating in the red (projected for the next five years) will finally succeed in exclusives becoming unfeasible. \πŸ˜„/

Sep 23, 2021, 01:56
Kxmode

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 01:56
Sep 23, 2021, 01:56
 Kxmode

The prudent thing to do, Mr. Sweeney, would have been to abide by Apple's developer agreement, request the changes you sought, then bring your lawsuit. In the end, you would have gotten some of what you wanted (the ability to communicate to your users via email and other means with Apple's blessing), but more than that, Fortnite would not be perma-banned from the App Store (and I assume the same has happened with Play).

Further, at the beginning of the pre-trial, Apple said we would welcome you back on the Store once you removed the offending code and came into compliance, you staunchly refused. The Judge's reflection on your hair-brained decisions says it all. "In my view, you cannot have irreparable harm when you create harm [for] yourself. All Epic has to do is remove the hotfix, go back to the status quo, and nobody suffers harm."

After dealing with this nonsense, Apple has decided they've had enough of you and refuse to do business with you. Further, be glad they haven't yet decided to ban all your products like Unreal.

In the apt words of Willy Wonka, "You lose. Good day, sir."

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event
Sep 22, 2021, 02:36
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Sep 22, 2021, 02:36
Sep 22, 2021, 02:36
 Kxmode

Kosumo wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 01:41:
Chris Roberts lies.
Unabashedly. No one should give him another dime. Let him finish the game on whatever funds he has.

On the brink of running out of money has a way of accelerating projects. Ask Square about their last game project, Final Fantasy, before they thought they'd go out of business. It was, after all, their "last" Fantasy game, or so they thought.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2021, 13:10.

Re: Overwatch EP Leaves Blizzard
Sep 22, 2021, 00:33
Kxmode

Re: Overwatch EP Leaves Blizzard Sep 22, 2021, 00:33
Sep 22, 2021, 00:33
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2021, 20:40:
Not a single person who was rowing away from the SS Titanic mentioned the iceberg.

Iceberg. Blizzard. I see what you did there!

Re: Overwatch EP Leaves Blizzard
Sep 22, 2021, 00:30
Kxmode

Re: Overwatch EP Leaves Blizzard Sep 22, 2021, 00:30
Sep 22, 2021, 00:30
 Kxmode

"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity" ― Sun Tzu

Someone ambitious in the underbelly of Blizzard is going to rapidly rise the ranks and not because they care about the process of making games but because it will look good on their resume.

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event
Sep 22, 2021, 00:14
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Sep 22, 2021, 00:14
Sep 22, 2021, 00:14
 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 21, 2021, 12:21:
Are we at 10 years yet or is that in about 6 months?
Technically, 11 years if you include the year it took him and the CryTek team to make the Star Citizen Kickstarter trailer.
18947 Comments. 948 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    948  ] Older