Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kxmode
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description If you actually understand Genesis 1:1 that is the beginning of wisdom.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 24, 2003, 23:48
Total Comments 12155 (Ninja)
User ID 18786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: On Sale Feb 27, 2017, 22:31 Kxmode

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 21:00:
LOL freedom, yeh

Yes. Freedom. The ability to say things regarded as "hateful" or "fighting words" to a person or group is, in part, thanks to the Witness's Supreme Court victory. I posted the information. You didn't pay attention.

----

03/09/1942, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (315 U.S. 568)

FREEDOM: First and Fourteenth Amendment rights to free speech (otherwise know as the "fighting words doctrine")

Justice Frank Murphy delivered the court's decision noting the First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the federal government from making laws that abridge the freedoms of speech, of the press, and of worship. Some forms of expression -- among them obscenity and fighting words -- do not convey ideas and thus are not subject to First Amendment protection. In this case, Chaplinsky uttered fighting words, i.e., words that "inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace." The First Amendment similarly applies to the states, as its protections are within ďthe fundamental personal rights and liberties which are protected by the Fourteenth Amendment from invasion by state action.Ē In other words, freedom of speech was designed to protect speech that was unpopular and not the other way around.

Laws applied: U.S. Constitution amend. I; NH P. L., c. 378, ß 2 (1941)

----

Anyhow, on behalf of The Witnesses, you're welcome.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 20:56 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 20:07:
Give what a rest? Confused

With respect, I wouldn't recommend engaging in such conversations with RedEye. I still love the guy even if he spews a lot of hateful rhetoric towards my beliefs. It's fine. He has that freedom.

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. Itís an excimer frozen in its excited state."

41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 20:48 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 19:40:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 17:35:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 16:03:
Most of the Oscar movies aren't blockbusters. Money makers like Secret Life of Pets, Batman v Superman, Finding Dory ($1B!), and Deadpool had no nominations. Other blockbusters like Suicide Squad, Rogue One, and Fantastic Beasts had one or two in minor categories.

The winners were chosen to promote various beliefs Hollywood supports aggressively, and not necessarily because they were the best films. I'm sure in the minds of many any of those blockbusters were award winners. However, most do not promote anything beyond pure entertainment.

I'm just curious what your Best Picture nominees would have been.

I'm biased, but I would've gone with:

Arrival
Zootopia
Captain America: Civil War
Finding Dory
Sully

All five were great and memorable for different reasons and stories told.

News Comments > Twitch to Sell Games
18. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 19:49 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:48:
In this order, of the gaming world, I mostly respect:

Carmack -> Newell -> Indie developers.

I hope you haven't included Sean Murray in that list.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 19:29 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:45:
Does that mean JW's are no longer conscientious objectors? I'm not setting you up for a debate, or contradiction, I'm asking out of curiosity. Apologies if it offends.

Trust me, if I can take strong jabs from others, an honest inquiry is not offensive in the least.

Witnesses still conscientiously object when required. This act only reaffirms our standing to oppose forced conscription to serve in the military against our religious and spiritual conscience. We do not do this out of malice. We respect the superior authorities; we just cannot serve the superior authorities. And joining the military is the number one way people serve their government and country.

The scriptural reason for why we do not comes from our supporting God's Kingdom. This act invalidates the possibility of serving in the military of any nation. The primary principle comes from Jesus when he tells Governor Pilate, "My Kingdom is no part of this world. If my Kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be handed over to the Jews. However, as it is, my Kingdom is not from this source." (John 18:36) In other words, Jesus tells the governor that his kingdom is a separate and neutral institution from human governments; and by extensions, his followers would be too on the same basic level of an American Ambassador not running for or getting mired in the politics of another nation. His loyalties lie with his mother country for whom he represents. However, like Witnesses, an ambassador obeys the laws of the region in which he resides.

Witnesses have conscientiously objected in the past and won many Supreme Court cases that provided us (and indeed ALL U.S. citizens) with many First Amendment freedoms (especially in the area of religion). However, in South Korea, where they have no First Amendment freedoms, for the last 30-40 years, young male Witnesses are routinely incarcerated for refusing mandatory military service. As a result, South Korea has one of the largest incarceration rates for Jehovah's Witnesses. Those are my spiritual brothers. I pray for them and their families often.

Hope that clarified.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 18:55 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:26:
I thought Casey Affleck's performance in Manchester by the Sea got far more praise than it deserved. I mean, come on -- even I can do dead pan. It certainly wasn't Oscar worthy; someone got robbed.

He won because he perfected the art of deadpan acting and it only took 30 films to do it (he pretty much does the same performance in each movie; watch Ocean's Eleven, Interstellar, etc.). However, I agree, there were many other worthy choices. The judges certainly do love nuanced acting, but I would never say they are good at picking the best. A perfect example of this is Russell Crowe for Best Actor in The Gladiator. The film was fantastic no doubt, but best acting should have gone to Ed Harris for his frantic, fiery role as Jackson Pollock, or Tom Hanks in Cast Away. He carried 80% of the film himself and made my cry over a volleyball. A volleyball! Who does that? Tom Hanks can.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 18:41 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 17:41:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 17:35:

Off-topic, side question: As a JW what will you do if there is a war and a draft, and they don't care about whole "conscientious objector" thing?

I think you know the answer to that question. Any person willing to be loyal to his or her government is also willing to die for it too.

15. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 18:39 Kxmode

MajorD wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:16:
Yup, Steam has become the default platform for gaming (at least for me), and if I could completely do away with Origin and UPlay, I would.

Amazon's gaming platform (whatever that turns out to be) is going to fail. Nobody likes clutter on their phones, in their desktops, and around their desk. I already have Origin, GOG, Uplay. I'm not adding Amazon to that list. Even if Amazon make it "convenient" to purchase through Twitch, it's not that difficult to buy a game from Steam, and more than likely a better value if a sale is going on (which is usually like all the time).

Amazon could learn a lesson or two from their failed push into the phone market. The number one being: "Exclusivity deals don't work." Amazon has only ever been successful at figuring out how to make it easy to buy. The moment they move away from that model, they fail.

13. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 17:37 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 17:35:
I like Steam. Talk to the hand.

I rest my case.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 17:35 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 16:03:
Most of the Oscar movies aren't blockbusters. Money makers like Secret Life of Pets, Batman v Superman, Finding Dory ($1B!), and Deadpool had no nominations. Other blockbusters like Suicide Squad, Rogue One, and Fantastic Beasts had one or two in minor categories.

The winners were chosen to promote various beliefs Hollywood supports aggressively, and not necessarily because they were the best films. I'm sure in the minds of many any of those blockbusters were award winners. However, most do not promote anything beyond pure entertainment.

8. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 16:31 Kxmode

I think Amazon is going to have a difficult time convincing PC gamers to buy from their platform. It would likely be more profitable to buy several digital key sellers like Green Man Gaming and CD Keys ASAP and blend their platforms in with their Twitch game purchasing platform.

News Comments > Sparc Announced
3. Re: Sparc Announced Feb 27, 2017, 15:57 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 15:47:
Is it just me, or does the derp factor seem especially high with this game?

Yup. Trying too hard to make it something beyond a souped-up sports sim. Nintendo sought to do that with Wii Sports and failed.

4. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 15:55 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 15:41:
Twitch (part of Amazon) has a lot of reach in gaming and the potential to put some serious competitive heat on Steam. Hopefully it works out well so that Valve has to step up their game.

Perhaps. But if Amazon were smart they would sell keys for the various digital platforms (Steam, Origin, UPlay, GOG, etc.). Very few people buy PC games separate from a digital platform.

3. Re: Twitch to Sell Games Feb 27, 2017, 15:51 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 15:44:
They are giving "twitch shooter" a totally different meaning.

You mean Twitch or impulse purchases?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 15:13 Kxmode

Amazing truck save GIF. Oh my goodness! That's some serious pro driving. Race

The driver deserves a 10-cent per mile raise.

News Comments > Sparc Announced
1. Re: Sparc Announced Feb 27, 2017, 15:01 Kxmode

I wonder if Sparc means "SPorts ARChitecture?"

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda
23. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2017, 20:17 Kxmode

Hoping this will be as epic as the original trilogy.

Still not going to preorder though.

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
32. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2017, 20:07 Kxmode

wtf_man wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 17:36:
I think they're just pissed that after they bought iD, probably one of the main reasons they bought iD (Carmack), left the company.

Yup! They don't own Carmack. They probably feel they own the sum of his knowledge because he obtained the majority of it at id. They can't own a person's experience, and they sure can't own how someone writes their code.

I'm going to officially refer to this company as ZanyMax; an apt nickname if ever there was one!

37. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2017, 19:50 Kxmode

Many well wishes Cutter, ya knucklehead!

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 17:54:
Find a nice jewish neighborhood with a good deli, and settle down with a nice jewish girl.

Wasn't that from Band of Brothers?

35. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2017, 19:46 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 12:38:
Hmm, saw this in one of the articles:

"He was expected to reprise his role as Master Sergeant Farell in a planned "Edge of Tomorrow" sequel."

How the hell do you have a sequel to that movie?

Easy. Spoilers: He gets his initial abilities from an Alpha Mimic. Aware of this, the Omega launches an effort to end Cruise's life so that humanity can be defeated. Of course, once the Omega dies, its ability is transferred to Cruise. All the Mimics have died so there is nothing hunting him to take his ability. The sequel could explore that reality. Less "Edge of Tomorrow" and more "Arrival."

12155 Comments. 608 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo