Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for chuckz

Real Name chuckz   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Acleacius
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On January 10, 2000
Supporter -
Total Comments 5537 (Guru)
User ID 1858

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed

52. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 09:11 Acleacius

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 21:28:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 14:37:
The real question is why Valve is entitled to 30% of my gaming money

That's not an entitlement, it is a contract and this is business.
Not to mention it pays for the largest gaming store on the planet. It pays for the largest gaming server network on the planet. It pays for one of the, if not the largest gaming chat system on the planet. And security for all those and more.

killer_roach,it's called taxes. Unless you believe the world was magically here for you when you were born. All the roads and infrastructure, all the doctors, nurses, firemen, police, ambulance emts, engineers, scientists and teachers magically educated that keep the society "you live in" working long before you were born and long after you die. No society exists without taxes in any city, in any state, in any country, on any planet, in any universe or any dimension.

epic is like a drug dealer giving away free drugs, with no care the damage they cause, as long as you become their customer.

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed

48. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 19:07 Acleacius

Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 16:34:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:38:
Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:51:
Yeah, shovelware was not coined at Microsoft's expense. And I generally find it best to not listen to people on a topic they say things like "M$" for. It is a credibility killer. It's a way of saying "I hate something so much that my thoughts aren't going to be fully thought out, and I probably believe things I shouldn't due to confirmation bias."

Just a note to people - it's an easy thing to avoid, and keeps you more credible.
Nah, I would rather express it accurately with flourish, even though I'm willing to be corrected. m$ has a legacy of bulling at the least.
A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm

But if you feel I've been judging them unfairly compared to that legacy, maybe it's you?
Also I don't need stinky credibility! Ahoy

You can't deny being unfair to them when you literally posted something false to try to prove your point (not claiming it was done intentionally or maliciously.) Not that they are owed anything, but being accurate is helpful.

Regardless, whether you are talking Microsoft, a politician, or just a boss you dislike, coming up with cutesy names to try to demean them make you seem like a walking Trump tweet. Rather than seeming objective, you seem untrustworthy.

General life advise.
I understand what your saying, and don't disagree in some settings like a legally binding statement. However in general I'm not intending to be a litigator and when I give information it's best of my memory att.

I still say your overreacting in this causal conversation forum. Nor do I believe I'm encroaching on trumpism of deliberate misinformation and sheer stupidity.
I'm mocking corporation because of corruption and I happen to personally like the name mockery, as a symbol of corruption over morality.

As I'm not advocating anyone else use it, nor am I using it out of hypocrisy, it clearly passes the morality filter, imo. Innocent

Lastly, they were accused of shovelware on consoles, all I got wrong was the origin of the phrase. So I'm not really aware how it really affects or effects any measure of fairness. Paperbag

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

News Comments > Op Ed

39. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:38 Acleacius

Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:51:
Yeah, shovelware was not coined at Microsoft's expense. And I generally find it best to not listen to people on a topic they say things like "M$" for. It is a credibility killer. It's a way of saying "I hate something so much that my thoughts aren't going to be fully thought out, and I probably believe things I shouldn't due to confirmation bias."

Just a note to people - it's an easy thing to avoid, and keeps you more credible.
Nah, I would rather express it accurately with flourish, even though I'm willing to be corrected. m$ has a legacy of bulling at the least.
A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm

But if you feel I've been judging them unfairly compared to that legacy, maybe it's you?
Also I don't need stinky credibility! Ahoy

News Comments > Op Ed

38. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:33 Acleacius

roguebanshee wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:29:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 12:10:
Not to mention the term "shovelware" was created due to the crap titles m$ was rushing out the door.
The term "shovelware" was used in the 80s, usually for rushed movie license games released on multiple 8-bit systems. At least in the game magazines I read at the time.
Oh, looks like we both missed it by a decade.
Shovelware

News Comments > Op Ed

27. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 12:10 Acleacius

Bumpy wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 10:28:
MeanJim wrote on Feb 22, 2020, 20:26:

I haven't bought a single game from Epic because they haven't done anything to attract me to their store as a consumer. They've bribed publishers to pull their games from other stores and make them exclusive to EGS, and that takes away my choice as to where I buy from. If instead throwing money at publishers for exclusives, they put that money into making a service that is attractive to consumers and offers better services, lower prices, etc. than their competition, I would have no problem with them. I still, and always will, prefer GOG or itch.io because they are DRM free.

With my growing back log of games, I have no problem waiting for the exclusive period to end since I have no shortage of games to play. I suppose in a way, Epic has done me a favor, because by the time the games get released on other stores, they'll be cheaper, patched and complete.

^This totally.
Agreed

No idea what your talking about Slick, m$ devastated the PC gaming industry for at least 10 years, forcing the xbox on the world. Willing the throw billions of dollars away just to get some of those console dollars. It was constantly pointed out and argued against. Not to mention the term "shovelware" was created due to the crap titles m$ was rushing out the door. Or the fact that development time was cut by at least 50%, causing the industry standard of releasing buggy and broken games. So while I can respect you, your opinion about this is full of shit. &#128169; (damn, my little poop emoji didn't work )
Damn Blue and his anti Poop Emoji agenda!! Mwahaha

This is about a millionaire/billionaire (whatever he is) buying his gamestore footing instead of earning it, as a tax write off. He started the fight with Steam to justify his bribery and extortion. He could have just started his store, doing a good job earning respect and accolades. Just like GoG and Steam before him but he didn't because he is a fraud. He has damaged the game industry as a whole, both development and sales are suffering.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 21, 2020, 16:23 Acleacius

No it's actually a reality. The US Intelligence agencies, have stated one of the new methods Russia is using is "proxies" like they did in Africa.

They are now using servers in the actual countries they are propagandizing. So they can now influence from within and make it look like just another angry citizen.
Their IP addresses show average joe while they act as, insolence brokers.

Not only that, Russia has made a deal to start "openly" propagandizing in the US. Iirc, there's a station in the midwest (Kansas?) , who will start broadcasting
Russian propaganda over US airwaves in the next couple of months.

While it's not a 100%, it's pretty easy to tell if it's Russian propaganda. Just ask, does it benefit Russian interest.
Since Iran and China are also bad actors interfering in our elections, basically ask does it benefit a totalitarian type goverment.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 21, 2020, 16:07 Acleacius

microsoft A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm  

News Comments > Into the Black

1. Re: Into the Black Feb 20, 2020, 21:17 Acleacius

I was disappointed with season 2, so I'll probably wait for season 3 reviews.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 20, 2020, 20:28 Acleacius

There are no words....  

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Feb 19, 2020, 11:49 Acleacius

Well played sir! Golfclap  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2020, 21:59 Acleacius

It actually gave some credibility having Pelosi talk about it, compared to the idiotically stable genius. If China won't respect the rights (including privacy) of their own citizens, no reason to believe they would for other world citizens.  

News Comments > State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition Coming to Steam Next Month

15. Re: State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition Coming to Steam Next Month Feb 18, 2020, 00:18 Acleacius

WannaLogAlready wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 07:43:
Acleacius said

"Lmao, apparently PC gamers have to join xbox live and have win10."

You don't have to, silly. Do your thing, respect others'.

I didn't want to go to Windows 10, but thought that I would have to *eventually* (as you know you will have to), kicking and screaming all the way.

Well, got convinced, upgraded free, quickly and without a hitch.
Not one re-install, except graphic drivers for best compatibility, everything continued working A perfect.
Including old games (Breed, 2004)
Surprised !

Of course I killed Edge, Cortana, telemetry, ads, tips, apps, even resorting to registry modding

With XGP installed, uninstalled onedrive, skype, etc.

Result?
Happy with the general speed up.
(Except for the Search function fiasco, don't need it anyway).

Respect others? Yes, laughing and mocking, restrictive, manipulative, exploitive and extortive design is SO disrespectful. Mwahaha

Results? Yeah, you hardly had to do anything to stabilize it. I'm really surprised people have complained about win10 at all, since it's release. Oh and how are those monthly updates going? Giggle

News Comments > State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition Coming to Steam Next Month

6. Re: State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition Coming to Steam Next Month Feb 17, 2020, 00:54 Acleacius

Lmao, apparently PC gamers have to join xbox live and have win10. Slap  

News Comments > Get Princess Lili for Free

3. Re: Get Princess Lili for Free Feb 16, 2020, 15:36 Acleacius

Just giving the game away like this will probably allow someone who knows both languages to make subtitles in English.  

News Comments > Metro Exodus on Steam

28. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 15:31 Acleacius

Slashman wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 12:26:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 11:57:

No idea where your getting that info because epic pays each pub/dev differently.

While they are obviously two different styles of games, Remedy's Control seems to disprove your info. Additionally Control is reported to be much more creative and have amazing gameplay.
Despite critical success from the media, sales were hampered. Also means a massive loss of PR dollars. All wasted because it couldn't reach a diverse audience.

Well it would make sense that they pay different devs differently. You wouldn't have the same operating costs if you were making Phoenix Point as opposed to The Untitled Goose game.

But what Jeryk was saying is that they likely paid each developer enough to meet their operating costs for the first year. So no matter what level your game was at...you would be covered for that period. And that is a huge boon for a developer/publisher.

Now as to if that was enough to offset the loss of sales over the life of the game, I have no idea.

Also remember that Metro Exodus had the benefit of preorders on Steam that were kept even after the Epic move. So they got those benefits whereas other games did not.
Understood but still disagree with his premise. There's literally no way for them to know how much a game would sell for much less a huge potential breakout game like Control.

metro sure could have gotten more than most games because they were literally bribed off of Steam. Extorting Steam customers who expected/intended to buy it because of the publisher's PR and advertisements. Forcing them to wait a year or pay money on a shitty new store with zero reputation, credibility, reliability or population for multiplayer games.

Att, epic had less 1% global footprint of gaming where as Steam has at least 80%. There's no way a game like Control can get a fraction of the sales and exposure, on a piece of crap like epic.

26. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 11:57 Acleacius

Jerykk wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 06:28:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 22:40:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 21:35:
afka Rossini wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 18:18:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 15:40:
Well, at least they weren't stupid enough to launch on Steam at full price (there's a 40% "discount" on this year-old game... how generous...). Though I notice that the full price is listed at $39.99 and I don't remember if that was the full price on release. Either way, I'm not paying anywhere near that much for Epic's sloppy seconds.

I find that exclusivity deals have just saved me money, because I really have no burning desire to play some of these games after waiting (and enough lets-plays and other material has come out to show me that I probably would have wasted my money if I had bought immediately... looking at you Phoenix Point & Julian Gollop). I'd have bought Mechwarrior 5 launch day full price if it had come out on Steam. Now, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even bother when it gets rereleased, there's just too much wrong with it based on the lets-plays I've watched. Oh well, hopefully that "exclusivity money" was enough to make up for my lost sale...

Since it's the first AAA title I'm aware of to have Epic exclusivity expire and I had any interest in, I picked it up on Steam today for $24 US. That's less than half the original price. If enough Steam buyers show up this week, maybe developers will re-think Epic exclusivity.

Nope. The exact opposite will be true. If people still buy even after the year, all that tells publishers is that they can take Epic's money first, then take our money later. The only way they'll rethink exclusivity is if the games that have it don't meet sales expectations, both during and after. Otherwise, you'll just teach them they can slap you around and you'll still come back for more...

No, if they're smart, it all depends on how the math works out. They definitely would have made calculations beforehand to estimate the sales breakdown with and without exclusivity in order to make their decision, and soon they'll be able to tell how accurate those were. Just as there was the possibility for EGS totals to disappoint, there is the possibility that Steam sales are exceedingly strong, and both would be reasons to not do the same thing next time.

It's hard to say without any actual sales data. Epic's bribe money more than covers any potential losses within the first year of sales and is guaranteed revenue before the game even launches. Developers/publishers don't really care how their games sell on EGS because they already got paid by Epic. For long-term revenue, they rely on Steam, hence the timed nature of all these exclusivity deals.
No idea where your getting that info because epic pays each pub/dev differently.

While they are obviously two different styles of games, Remedy's Control seems to disprove your info. Additionally Control is reported to be much more creative and have amazing gameplay.
Despite critical success from the media, sales were hampered. Also means a massive loss of PR dollars. All wasted because it couldn't reach a diverse audience.

20. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 01:23 Acleacius

Keep it, I'd rather never play your game. Trollbashing  

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2020, 23:41 Acleacius

Mark Hamill
@HamillHimself

I have no idea what this is or what it's about but agree it could/should be played by me.

Hamill's a hoot! Ahoy Number1

News Comments > DICE Awards 2020: Untitled Goose Game GotY

5. Re: DICE Awards 2020: Untitled Goose Game GotY Feb 14, 2020, 13:35 Acleacius

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 13:18:
Ozmodan wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 13:01:
When you name Control as the action game of the year it immediately places your rewards into joke status.
Care to explain? Haven't played it yet, but YouTube videos show it to be pretty actiony.
Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things, with exception of exclusivity has killed their exposure and sales.
Another reason the spec ops excuses for moving to epic are bullshit. Middlefinger

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 13, 2020, 22:57 Acleacius

@Bloomberg, looks like they plan to air fact check commericals on fakenews during the breaks and it's driving the stable genius crazy crazier craziest completely bonkers psychotic. Trollbashing

Love, The Expanse but it was a shift from 3 seasons of mostly space drama, to planetary drama. Great news, no idea they moved so fast on the next season. Lighter

I really like Altered Carbon season one but really worried about season two. Can't think of any successful shows that ditch the lead actors each season.

5537 Comments. 277 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >