Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6497 (Guru)
User ID 18369

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up
45. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 15:27 Tumbler

Wasteland 2's Director's Cut drops next week, the week after. One of the changes is VO work. BattleTech's Kickstarter is literally less than a thousand bucks away from hitting its VO stretch goal, with 32 days to go. Companies are listening to people with your complaint, they're planning to get the polish into their games.

That will be awesome. I didn't see the VO stretch goal. I'm set then, money pledged!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 14:33 Tumbler

Wildone wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 13:58:
Hows that $900 ship tho??? llololololololololo

The ship is $350. The combination of the ship and every possible configuration of equipment is $900. That is similar to how buying a game and every piece of DLC that is available might cost $300. Very few people would spend that much just to have all the DLC but it's an option.

And getting the "game" still costs a total of $45...I think you can get it for $40 if you don't care about playing anything that is in development. I don't see why anyone gets so uppity about the higher price points that exist.

I think many collectors editions of games are a ripoff but I don't give a shit if they're an option for people who want to pay that.

(and you can go into Arena Commander right now and play and earn most of the playable ships that cost more...)

30. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 13:38 Tumbler

For a start, Chris probably shouldn't have started promising the world as donations increased. Focusing solely on the originally planned game would probably have been a good start as well. After being gone from the industry for 12 years I would think a smarter plan for Chris would have been to start small, release that game, and then move on to a more ambitious iteration. I'm guessing it's not very easy being gone for that long, building up a huge team in such a short period of time, trying to coordinate from multiple worldwide office locations, and develop a complex and very ambitious game. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I think building the game as he'd originally planned would have delivered a product that would have a been acceptable at best and there would not be an opportunity to spin that into a larger project that he's building now.

He had an amazing opportunity to do what he's doing now and instead of taking the easier safer path he's swinging for the fences. It's a long shot for sure but I think whatever he delivers it's going to be better than the 20 million dollar single player campaign that was originally planned.

Could it be worse and never even deliver that? It could. I hope it won't be and I'm very happy he's going for the bigger better game with more risk along the way.

Edit: And a game where I think a kickstarter game that is a good example of this is Shadowrun. Shadow Run is an excellent game but on the budget they had they couldn't do a lot of animations or get voice actors and I think that game really needs those extra details. I liked those games but I'm not looking for more because the experience felt so dated. Pillars of eternity as well. Wasteland 2. All great games in my opinion for being kickstarter funded projects but as far as building sequels and trying to do more I think a major hurdle is that htey don't have the funding to put the polish on them that people expect. Battletech is another game that is currently in kickstarter and I want to fund it but so far it doesn't look like they plan to use voice actors so I'm very hesitant to fund those games because it's hard to get drawn in to games that rely on a lot of text to read. I don't need fully animated movie scenes ala witcher 3 but I want to hear those characters talk at least.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2015, 13:45.

23. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 12:49 Tumbler

To the white knights this whole thing is one big conspiracy theory orchestrated by Derek Smart. I just don't understand how you cannot see that something is amiss at CIG. After four years of development they have so very little to show for it. No efficiently run team takes that long to produce so little. Doesn't that just scream mismanagement?

To the Dark knights who see this as an accurate summary you have a few details wrong.

The funding campaign was at the end of 2012 so at the end of this year there is a total of three years of development. And this isn't like a functioning fully staffed studio when development started. The plan at the end of 2012 was to build a game that would cost approx 20 million in the end with a starting budget of approx 6 million. (or was it 8?) They ended 2013 with approx 33 million in funding, at the end of 2014 they had 68.5 million and by end of 2015 I think we'll see 90 million.

That changes things. Instead of just pocketing the money and building a 20 million dollar game they've expanded the scope tremendously and expanded the studio head count. (which was good...right?) As funding increases I think gamers expect the game to get better and have more features and that requires additional time.

We get that. A lot of the people freaking out seem to believe that everyone is naive to the fact that the game is a long ways off that we want. I would guess that every time they pass a major funding milestone, 25 million, 50 million, 75 million, it's like hitting reset on development because they almost have to start over to build a game with the more complicated features they are advertising.

I'm assuming that the 2013 development year with all the money they pulled in and giving up private investment, establishing new offices, that was almost useless for work towards delivering the full game(s). They're probably at the 2 year mark as far as progress goes on a 5-7 year project if we are comparing it to MMO's. They don't need to launch it with all the content ready to go. They can put something up with a handful of systems in place and just keep adding to it. SQ42 will hopefully be ready to ship early next year and that will give people something to chew on until some early version of the pu is up.

I'm a little concerned by them not clearly talking about the long term goal posts but seeing how media and critics respond they might be damned if they do, damned if they don't. Do they announce the long term goals as being 3-5 years out then does the project collapse and it's all been for nothing? So are they better off trying to create this ever growing wave of excitement with new ships and features and bits of the game to keep funding going and keep development going? Should they have delivered a game looking like a 20 million dollar project at the end of 2014 when they'd brought in over 30 million by the end of 2013?

Please, do share how'd you have done things differently because I don't think you've got a better plan. The only thing that seems consistent is that they've had enough time to deliver the original planned game and they haven't so it's time to call it quits....

It's slightly more complicated.

5. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 10:52 Tumbler

All this drama aside I feel like there is plenty of reason to be disappointed in the project this year. In the past we'd see content presented and then shortly after we'd be playing it ourselves and this year that seems to have ended. Now we're seeing content and not getting it. We saw the fps module, still waiting. We saw the multi crew stuff, still waiting, it was last year they showed the planetside stuff and it feels like they just shoved that out about a month ago just to give people something to chew on.

Citizen con is coming up and hopefully they'll have something to deliver. Presentations don't count as content in my opinion, until I can download it and play it at home it's just marketing bs.

So in summary:

Shut and...

All this drama doesn't change the fact that you have delivered little in the way of actual game lately so kindly shut the fuck up and deliver something.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
66. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 00:37 Tumbler

The issue with Sandi is she's not just Chris' wife sitting on the side lines baking cookies and occasionally showing up at the office to drop off the kids. She's THE VP of Marketing of a 90 million company formed by Chris and funded by people's wealth. The issue is that she claims to have numerous degrees to justify her holding such a position that, according to GlassCeiling.com, in Santa Monica has an annual salary of $150k. By all accounts I would suggest her salary is likely closer to half a million. No matter how Chris tries to spin it, this isn't a personal attack. It's addressing the 800 pound issue in the room. Namely credibility and accountability. This problem is CIG's not Derek Smart. All he has done is make the information public. Chris has not been forthcoming with it. To date Chris has never mentioned Sandi as being his wife. To hide this Sandi uses her acting last name. The cover up points to a clear case of nepotism. Backers should be furious.

...pffsshh, is that was this is really all about? CR hires his wife to work in the company and it should be a scandal that everyone needs to be upset about?

I do find it uncomfortable that their relationship wasn't clearly explained when she came on board, I didn't know she was his wife until DS started throwing a fit. But who cares? I can't really find a reason to complain, she's doing a good job.

She's been the "head" of marketing from what I can see for most of the projects life and while I feel like she's kind of a zombie and out of place as a personality representing the project the results have been extremely good. As much as I don't care for her the events she's organizing and information being released to the public is very effective and many in the community seem to like her.

So WTF does it matter at this point? It might have been a scandal in 2013 when the project was starting out but my guess is that raging assholes like DS just assumed things would fall apart all on their own and they haven't. In fact, it's the opposite, it looks like everything is going well and getting stronger. They've brought in almost 40 million dollars in 2015 so far and you think they're on the verge of failure?! *Edit, no I'm wrong they've brought in over 50 million this year.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
55. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 15:02 Tumbler

Kosumo wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:52:
harlocks post 59 on this page has most of the letter for those interested that missed it.

I think this is the full letter, has a lot more than the post you mentioned.

Reddit post

Content of the letter is believable. They're behind schedule, they're not communicating what the long term schedule is and it's looking like they'll be lucky to get the FPS module out by christmas? ...lot more to get done... uh... so.... Citizen con, they're going to talk about SQ42 at citizencon which I think is a few weeks away.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
39. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 13:59 Tumbler

Is there a link to this leaked email or a summary? I have not been watching as closely for the past few weeks.

As for money troubles being why they are selling the endeavor, wtf is that nonsense? They've been selling ships on a regular basis literally for years. They wereally going to stop this month but just decided to do one more because they suddenly realized they are almost out of money?

They should continue selling ships as long as they can regardless if they need the money or not because they are running a business. You have to keep making money
..that is how this works. How is this ship sale any different than all the others?

News Comments > Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking
2. Re: Video Game Voice Actors Consider Striking Sep 23, 2015, 09:58 Tumbler

I hope this works and I hope the developers are left wondering why aren't they arent doing the same thing.

News Comments > Warbirds 2016 Next Week
1. Re: Warbirds 2016 Next Week Sep 21, 2015, 21:44 Tumbler

Wow, how does this game still look that bad!? With games like DCS and War Thunder being available how does anyone play this?!  

News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
7. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 18, 2015, 22:55 Tumbler

Reminds me of that euro fighter sim. Had so much fun with that. If I could get a chair desk to setup my warthog hot as proper I'd give this a shot.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2015, 12:25 Tumbler

>More California fiber optic cable severed as AT&T offers 250K reward.

So that is where the network congestion is coming from! That's why they're throttling those unlimited data plans! Curse you vandals!

I'm on ATT dsl and have noticed a lot of weird internet issues, wonder if it's related to this or just my equipment. ATT Uverse DSL only allows you to use their equipment which I'm 99% sure is total shit. I bought a new modem hoping to use that instead and learned that they won't let you config your own equipment for dsl.

Very frustrating.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races
1. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Feature Speeder Races Sep 16, 2015, 18:49 Tumbler

It seems unwise to even mention this.

A whole 2 players might be able to race! Well shit, put that on the box!

News Comments > Need for Speed: No Paid DLC or Microtransactions
9. Re: Need for Speed: No Paid DLC or Microtransactions Sep 15, 2015, 13:54 Tumbler

Talk about shady shit...keep it classy marketing fuckers.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
23. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 14, 2015, 17:40 Tumbler

I'm amazed that anyone is anxiously awaiting more half life. It would be interesting to see more but at this point I just don't care.

They might as well reboot it and make it an open world game.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void in November
9. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void in November Sep 14, 2015, 17:20 Tumbler

Top notch cinematic as usual. That looked awesome. I wish they could create a game that played like that.

I've got the previous two games but can't get myself to play them for more than an hour. Watching other people play the game is pretty fun, can't seem to get into it myself.

Just bought Mad Max the other day, going to be playing that tonight I hope!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 14, 2015, 14:01 Tumbler

Amazon Prime (comes with HBO)... $8.25

I've been seeing a lot of hbo stuff on there, but does that include the most recent stuff? Looking on Amazon Prime Video I don't see the True Detective series yet so I think it's a few years old but that is great content if you haven't see a lot of it. I just started watching Into the Storm, a drama documentary following churchill from 1940-1945. It's very good so far. It's rare you see a war only from the top so it's extremely interesting to see what those guys see and hear day to day with the brutality on the ground going on every day.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 14, 2015, 13:50 Tumbler

I'm not sure why that guy quiting after 11 months is news. I'm sure he found someone willing to pay more. Star Wars Uprising isn't bad from what I've played of it. The presentation is amazing in parts to be honest. I'm guessing someone else wants to pay him to make mobile games for them and the people inside EA don't want to pay a lot of money to people making star wars games because the IP sells itself.  

News Comments > DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Pre-purchases
3. Re: DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Pre-purchases Sep 11, 2015, 16:34 Tumbler

That map look very nice. Flying around vegas at night looks like fun. $40 does seem a little much, let alone $50 but these guys are good at offering things for sale at a steep discount after things have been out a while. The labor day sale from last week had most everything at $15. The newer stuff was full price but this Sim is incredible.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 10, 2015, 21:37 Tumbler

Stay classy Ellen pao. 276k in legal costs she has to pay. Ouch.  

6497 Comments. 325 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo