Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for B Williams

Real Name B Williams   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Tumbler
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2003, 14:45
Total Comments 6456 (Guru)
User ID 18369
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced Oct 14, 2015, 20:48 Tumbler
Rhett wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 20:03:
Man you guys are salty. Go to their forums and make yourselves heard. The devs don't read these posts or complaints, and the people responsible who are whining and making them consider changes aren't reading these comments either.

You think they can do anything at this point? They are shipping what we played. They won't change shit no matter how loud players shout because there is no time.

Game releases on Nov 17 and considering how many copies it should they need to start burning discs asap.

That was a demo. That's the game.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced Oct 14, 2015, 19:40 Tumbler
A small change or 2 will probably fix everything. The rebels should spawn very close to those control points. Having to spend time just running back to where u need to defend puts you at a big disadvantage. When u move to the next zone they should start out linked and running so the empire needs to actually get in there and turn it off. Right now it's very easy to get jnto position where you can defend those points from rebels before they have a chance to turn it on when zones change.
News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
78. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 15:36 Tumbler
Yeah, why spend $8-10M when you can get the same results without the name recognition for $1-2M and spend the savings on building the game. Because after all, that's what this is: a game.

I don't think it's optional to have mo-cap actors and voice talent in a AAA game today. You may want them to cut that out but that is a major difference between AAA and AA or indie games in my opinion. That extra level of quality is important and I think they were very smart to put money into these things.

I gotta fire up that Wasteland 2 thing to see how the voice work feels.
38. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 13:00 Tumbler
Never said that was THE number. $37 million is simply a "conservative estimated total" based on what I believe each was paid for the amount of time and work for voice acting and MoCap. You're more than welcome to share your own numbers.

You don't know what conservative means. That is an ultra aggressive estimate. That is literally the highest amount you could ever pay. That is what Richard Pryor would pay in Brewster's Millions.
10. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 10:06 Tumbler
Still going strong it seems.

They've been talking about pushing that ac 2.0 demo out before the end of the year. The fps module would come after that.

That's much better progress than I thought they'd made up to now.

Regardless of what their financial situation is today if they can get that out and people can do only what you saw in the most recent 2.0 demo I think you'll see a tidal wave of new funding and citizens come in.

Sadly that wave will be made of tears from the critics who've been cheering for a disaster. Buy some chocolate ice cream ladies because it's going to get rough for you.
News Comments > 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta
45. Re: 9M Played Star Wars Battlefront Beta Oct 13, 2015, 16:59 Tumbler
Kxmode wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:13:
Here's how it played for me.

> Downloaded,
> Installed,
> Logged in,
> Tried both maps.
> Shot at targets at pointblank range.
> Could not hit said targets,
> Meanwhile I was one-shot killed by some dude on a turret like YARDS away.
> Log out.
> Uninstalled.

I tried playing the game on the PC first, using a 360 controller and later a mouse/keyboard and I seemed to have equal trouble with both. I figured I just wasn't very good anymore with mouse and keyboard so everyone else was just killing me before I could line them up.

So I moved over to the ps4 thinking it would feel easier and more fun. It didn't. I think I score better playing on the Pc using a 360 wireless controller.

I'm not sure how they did it but I think it may doing something that makes using a mouse and keyboard comparable to a gamepad. Some things were obviously exploiting the use of a mouse and keyboard, a few people who jump pack over me and were able to track me and shoot me while they flew over. I'd never be able to do that on the controller.

I was shocked to find that playing on the PS4 was just as hard as playing on the pc.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2015, 17:04.
News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
237. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 13, 2015, 16:45 Tumbler
That's a really good point, but how is crowdfunding benefiting backers? Based on the project's health I would say crowdfunding hasn't benefited backers.

This is before crowdfunding: Star Citizen Pitch Video

This is with crowdfunding:

I think Angels Fall First is an excellent example of a game like star citizen built on a smaller budget.

If they'd shut down the crowdfunding side of things at the end of 2012 I'm guessing we'd be seeing a game that looks like Angels Fall First. The game they're showing instead I think is a big plus to backers and the crowdfunding dollars are the reason that can happen.
News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed
7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed Oct 12, 2015, 21:28 Tumbler
Battlefield he's typically go on sake for black Friday. If you can wait till then you'll save plenty of money and probably miss the shit show that is the first two weeks.

Game fly might be worth considering but it's about $20 a month...

If best buy has a trade in deal in the near future I might he able to get it from there at 48.
215. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:53 Tumbler
So let's compare and contrast with RSI's "not a problem" process. They start development in 2011. They kickstart the game in October 2012. Over the course of the next three years they ramp up production of dozens of final-quality ship assets using a process they themselves describe as extremely inefficient and ultimately impractical. In March of 2015 they supposedly fix the process and announce that all this finished, signed-off work:

five damage states to represent the different levels of damage, then each of these requires up to five simplified meshes that we use when they’re further from the camera to save performance. This equates to over 200 meshes per ship!

is defunct.

Yes, of course people learn as they go along, but these were already experienced artists. So what they learned were clever tricks specific to building and texturing 200+ meshes per ship. But unfortunately they won't be needing those tricks any more because that's not how ships are being built now.

Are you talking about the modular ship design changes? The Retaliator was the first ship to get a modular design instead of making several unique hull designs. I think the Endeavor is the 2nd one. I'm not sure this means those older ships won't be used. It might. Older ships were unique hulls in most cases. Each ship was it's own unique model. The retaliator and endeavor have things you add onto the base so everyone starts with the same hull and just puts bits and pieces on.

Where did you read that they're going to scrap all the older ships and rebuild them this way? This might only be a change on multi crew ships, the Tali is the only Multi crew ship they'd have to rebuild in that case.
149. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 13:58 Tumbler
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:37:
There are HUGE risks now if it turns out that connecting Arena Commander, the FPS, the social module etc. requires major reworks of these modules that would not have been necessary if all the groundwork would have been done in the first place.

I think we've already hit that hurdle. I don't think there is anyway to connect those older modules with the game going forward. That AC 2.0 demo is "the game". Everything needs to be rebuilt inside that going forward. You could make it possible to jump over into arena commander like you do in the hangar but it's an ugly process of loading into different games.

The PU is supposed to have all that stuff under one roof and from what I understand the SQ42 campaign is supposed to have that gameplay as well.

On the bright side just having that AC 2.0 "demo" running should make it possible to build SQ42 as planned. They already ripped out all MP featurs of SQ42 so assuming it can do what we see on screen locally and over a LAN then they can make a SP game in full and having a year to do that seems reasonable from now.

The Star Citizen MMO is the real question. They're networking stuff behind the scenes is barely functional in my opinion. Whenever they have new releases it goes to shit for a few days and they eventually plug the holes and get it working.

But the stuff they have running behind the scenes to keep these modules playable is not at all a priority for getting the game shipped. Like you've said, all these demo's and presentation they keep showing at these events are not likely moving the project forward in the least. They're likely responsible for a lot of delays in delivering finished content. But if you don't feed the beast it will turn on you so I don't see a better way for them to be doing things. They are right to create all this stuff to present despite it slowing down the progress of the full game. Not doing that would slow down the progress of the full game completely.

For the next year I hope they focus only on SQ42 and deliver an amazing game. Then they can delay the MMO or maybe release a bare bones little space to fly around in that is SP only. The modules, including the FPS, will hopefully hold people over for that time and then playing SQ42 and the revenue it can generate will help them keep going for another year. They also need to get that backbone networking done next year for the MMO. I don't think they can focus on making content for the MMO in 2017 if they're still trying to set the foundation.

So goals for 2016:

Create backbone for MMO, "get foundation setup."
Create SQ42 Single Player Campaign, Ship by end of 2016.
Pray the plan works.

Release sand box AC 2.0 demo that is Single Player only. (basically a big level in SQ42 that just lets you fly around and fight vanduul)

Goals for 2017:
Build MMO game for holiday 2017 release.
Pray the plan works.
74. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 22:16 Tumbler
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 21:19:
If SQ42 comes out next year and is the long long LONG awaited sequel to WC/Freespace 2 we've all been waiting for, and the PU launches with full functionality, I will gladly eat crow and buy a copy of both @ full price, while admitting that Chris Roberts was right, and we were all wrong.

I think SQ42 will come out next year but the PU alpha, which I think is in fact that AC 2.0 demo we're seeing will get delayed another year.

I think we're going to get the FPS module by the end of the year, then next year they'll all be working SQ42. I'd expect that in November if they're smart, pushing it out as late as possible wouldn't be wise. They might have a PU alpha up at the end of 2016 but the PU as expected will get delayed until end of 2017.

These are my predictions based on how CIG has worked in the past. SQ42 has been about a year off at least 3 times before this. It was end of 2013 for the first chapter in early 2013. Then once we got to the end of 2013 it was end of 2014. At the end of 2014 it was "we don't want to spoil it by releasing it in episodes so we're going to release it as a whole at the end of 2015. End of 2015 comes around, "we're excited to announce that 2016 will be the year of SQ42!

So when they start saying PU alpha is end of 2016 I think I can see what's coming. The thing that is different today is that they've got a working game to build on. The hangar didn't have flyable ships. Arena Commander didn't have ships you could really move around in like the hangar. The social module doesn't have flyable ships or ships you can interact with. The FPS module probably won't have flyable ships either. They might have ships you can get into as terrain in matches. All those modules are little demo's basically. They don't all fit into one large game.

That is what AC 2.0 is. AC 2.0 theoretically makes it so a fps match might break out on a landing pad and the players in a ship might just go get into the turrets while the pilot flys just out of reach and shoots everyone on the ground to shit. Or the players on the ground might board the ship before it takes off and shoot everyone inside. Or maybe they'll just get into the ship and try and trade parts or whatever. Maybe the players on the ground will be manually loading cargo.

The key factor is that all those gameplay mechanics are possible. That being said if I know CIG that combined arms of features is a long ways off. It has to be. I'm assuming the reason we don't see our pretty hangers in these ac 2.0 demo's is because they haven't been rebuilt in that engine yet. They keep showing you start in some shitty little room, then you go into a lobby or sorts, select a ship and move out to the landing pads.

I presume they'll be rebuilding those hangers in this new system so you start there, walk out a door there into that same lobby or you just fly out your fucking hanger! Your hangar should be a lobby that other players can join. Point is that stuff takes time to implement and that's probably down the road a bit. For now they're just using random space station rooms.

Will the money last that long? If they keep impressing people enough to buy into the game it will. That's the key, keep people signing up.
24. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 17:44 Tumbler
siapnar wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 17:26:

The main thing is that they don't have the core gameplay down, yet they are adding in more features than people can keep track of. Sure, more features is awesome, but not when none of them are fully fleshed out.

Wait, what is the core gameplay? Are you talking about all the little things you can do like mining, research, etc?

Because the core gameplay is space flight and we just saw it in that 2.0 demo. You could say that isn't working with dozens of players in the same area and hundreds in each solar system but the core gameplay looks to be
17. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 16:51 Tumbler
The Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 video seemed to show the game is working as promised. You have FPS walking around, selecting a ship, going out to the landing pad, getting into the ship, flying off, warping to another part of the system, exiting the ship and exploring a giant solar collector station, getting back in your ship, flying back to the station, getting out, going back inside, then he pulled out a gun and started shooting. I missing something? That's a big milestone. It's all working, inside the same "game". Good ole DS kept saying there is nothing there, smoke and mirrors.

...except that they just showed it working in full. Now they can build content inside that engine and actually build a game.

How the fuck is this a big joke? The SQ42 missions aren't ready for prime time? We already know what combat looks like from Arena commander, seeing that ship walk through and see the game universe in action is fine.

With the engine doing everything they want they should be able to start actually building a game, I'm not sure what there is to be worried about. Running out of money?

They don't appear to have money troubles. If they do have money troubles I'd assume they'd be able to secure outside funding to help them get through the next year in a worst case scenario.

All the people bitching about 4 years and 90 million dollars with no game to show for it are cherry picking the facts. The kickstarter campaign was 3 years ago. During the year leading up to that there was no at best they've had 3 years to develop the game using crowd funding dollars and the budget has grown tremendously since the beginning. That video showed that Foundry 42 didn't even open until Oct of 2013 so it's not far off to say that until the end of 2013 they probably weren't able to be working at full speed for a game of this size.

It would be interesting to know how the press demo was played. What the hardware setup was. Was it played over a LAN? That kinds of stuff.
News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers
17. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront Beta Servers Oct 9, 2015, 20:36 Tumbler
The only major issue I seem to have is the space ships. I don't like how flight works. From the ground it looks great but flying them is not fun. I think the problem is they fly too fast and turn too fast. When u slow down and try and turn fight it just feels silly. Round and round in circles and your target does the same. Some ships have that boost but what use is that?

For how small these maps are I think it'd be more fun if these things flew like helicopters.

Maybe I just need more practice.
News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Oct 8, 2015, 21:05 Tumbler
Here is what backers of this game don’t know. CitCon is going to be more smoke and mirrors. Just like GAMESCOM and every event before it. They have nothing tangible to show. If they did, all the stuff they have recently shown, would be in backers hands by now and in decent form. In fact, you heard it here first:

They are going to parade all the A-List actors – all of whom cost a ton of money – for SQ42. This despite the fact that the stand-alone game is reported to be almost fifteen months away from completion.

They are going to show the opening cut-scene sequence for SQ42 with Gary Oldman giving his speech, someone flying and landing, NPCs waving etc.

They are going to show Star Marine. Again. It’s still a mess – and nowhere ready for production release. Reports tell me that if it gets released before year end, it would be a miracle.

They are going to show multi-crew. Again. Problem now is that, as of the last report I got, it doesn’t run smoothly at all. And so they are now running the demo on super computers with 16 cores, loads of memory etc. Again, not production release ready.

There is nothing new being released to backers, other than another AC patch apparently.

I have said this in my blogs. The sources coming forward have said similar: these events are designed to be fluff pieces in order to raise money for a game that, for all intent and purposes, will never see the light of day as pitched.

Ah man, the first time I read this I thought I was getting inside info from derek's sources and details of his investigation. Reading it again I see he's just making "educated" guess'. Don't toy with me DEREK! You give me the inside source info! I wanna know what's really going to be shown at CitCon! Now I'm back to wondering, what is going to be revealed, released, shown, etc!

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins Oct 8, 2015, 17:17 Tumbler
Flak wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 16:27:
This looks like an overpriced, watered-down version of Battlefield 4 with spaceships and pew pew pews.

Something something Star Citizen.

...I wish Star Citizen ran and played this well...
News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Begins Oct 8, 2015, 16:09 Tumbler
This runs surprisingly well on my laptop.

Asus G75V with a Geforce 660m. I expected a slide show, booted it up just to see, played several matches with settings on low, 1920x1080.

Pretty sure they're using some sort of Dark forces to get it to run like that.
News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads
38. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads Oct 8, 2015, 15:40 Tumbler
The game runs unbelievably well on my laptop. I'm a little concerned they might be using black magic. I'm on a Asus G75V laptop with a Geforce 660M graphics chip and the game runs real well on low. Even looks great at 1920x1080.

I expected it to be a slide show.
News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
2. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 10:01 Tumbler
I'm interested to see how this goes. I think voice acting has become a major feature in games and it's going to be a big deal to not have quality people. Probably won't affect games until next year at earliest though.

I can think of anytime when game companies have dealt with a strike so it's hard to predict what they'll do.

We're they affected by the writers strike?
News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
111. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:47 Tumbler
Vio wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 15:20:
So I guess this is the perfect time to get a update: can you warp between systems yet?

But if you're looking for something to help you pass the time a new game in the same genre has come up recently.

Angels Fall First

Elite: Horizons

Line of Defense

Check back monday on that warping between planets question. The answer could change. Maybe.

Edit: Shit, Angels fall is only $13.49!? Why not. Bought. (3.3 gb is anyone is curious)

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2015, 15:55.
6456 Comments. 323 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo