Limit Results:

15 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Saturday Consolidation
Jul 12, 2014, 13:24
Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 12, 2014, 13:24
Jul 12, 2014, 13:24

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 11:51:
Doesn't everybody hate Xbox console fans? They take Stockholm Syndrome to entirely new levels.

Fixed that for you.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Apr 29, 2014, 11:04
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 29, 2014, 11:04
Apr 29, 2014, 11:04

16GB is minimum for me but more often than not, I run 32GB. In the laptop, the desktop workstation and in my gaming machine. Combined with a fast CPU, SSD and decent GPU, the systems are always responsive.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 5, 2013, 10:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 10:19
Jun 5, 2013, 10:19

Re: Coming soon!
Feb 10, 2005, 14:34
Re: Coming soon! Feb 10, 2005, 14:34
Feb 10, 2005, 14:34

Hell, not even people IN America could give a rat's ass about building one of the cities most in need of a tactical nuke strike.

Coming soon!
Feb 9, 2005, 21:43
Coming soon! Feb 9, 2005, 21:43
Feb 9, 2005, 21:43

Announcing....Tycoon Tycoon!

That's right, you'll feel the thrill as you setup yet another monopoly in some dreary business that no one else could give a rat's ass about!

You'll shiver in excitement as you make your way through the 356th page of your accounting spreadsheet!

Look for it at Wal-Mart and wherever other crappy games are sold.

Re: ~sighs~
Feb 9, 2005, 10:54
Re: ~sighs~ Feb 9, 2005, 10:54
Feb 9, 2005, 10:54

Oh Hell no! The Atari rocked all over the Amiga.

Do you remember the crappy version of Dungeon Master that came out for the Amiga? It was awesome on the ST.

~Smacks his forehead~

Damn it, now I'm starting to sound like those console losers but worse since its about obsolete technology.

I'm going to sleep...wake me up in 2575 when all I have to do is plug my brain in.

~sighs~
Feb 9, 2005, 01:12
~sighs~ Feb 9, 2005, 01:12
Feb 9, 2005, 01:12

I remember when Powerdrome was a game on the Atari ST.

You had tracks with slanted walls that you could "hover" off of to go around opponents, pits that you could swap out engines, wings and cockpits.

I feel old now.
This comment was edited on Feb 9, 01:13.

Re: Ahhh, the joys of owning a Mac
Dec 9, 2004, 03:31
Re: Ahhh, the joys of owning a Mac Dec 9, 2004, 03:31
Dec 9, 2004, 03:31

Drugs, I suspect.

Usually from huffing the toner off their freshly printed Yellowdog changelog.

Ahhh, the joys of owning a Mac
Dec 9, 2004, 03:04
Ahhh, the joys of owning a Mac Dec 9, 2004, 03:04
Dec 9, 2004, 03:04

Before the self-righteous Macoholics jump all over my ass, I have purchased severl Macs in my lifetime.

Usually to give them to people too stupid and ignorant to learn how to use a PC.

The Mac is a niche market, at best, and has some of the worst support for developing games from the manufacturer.

Hence why consoles and PC gaming is far more popular.

Well, that, and I don't have to spend 6000 dollars on a machine that I can build just as easily in the PC world for a third of the cost.

The letter I faxed to Volition
Dec 8, 2004, 23:21
The letter I faxed to Volition Dec 8, 2004, 23:21
Dec 8, 2004, 23:21

Inspired by nin, I blatantly stole his idea (but gave credit in the fax cover letter) and ran with it. This is what I faxed:

Dear Volition and crew,

Please, for the love of God, bring back the Freespace universe. I know, as all now “old” gamers know, that the black hole once known as Interplay has sucked the Freespace license into a dimension from which there is no recovery. That’s ok. You could call it Grand Space Flight Sim 3, or something equally as stupid, as long as it would be as good as Freespace 1 and 2. The gaming community would know with a nod and a wink what it really was. We don’t care what a game is called so long as it is not only good but fun.

Quite honestly, a large number of us are damn tired of seeing the same old re-hashed FPS, RTS and MMOG concepts over and over again. How many damn times can you shoot some guy in the face before it becomes as stale as ghetto bred, bass blasting Hondas? How many times can you conquer the Land of the Great Evil Elf Lord Clown, Slapass the Droopy?

Freespace wasn’t new, granted, as the genre had been broken open by Elite years ago. What made it so great was the revolutionary approach it took to story telling in a space sim. It wasn’t nearly as static as Wing Commander or as insanely uncontrollable as Mantis. We need that same revolution now and we need it in a genre that you have all proven yourselves in time and time again.

Think back when Volition was started and before the corporate beast swallowed it up and barfed out its soul. I remember reading in Computer Gaming Monthly when I was a freshman in high school about how excited the Freespace team was to create something like Freespace. Recapture that and hear the great cries of the unmassed washes, covered in Dorito crumbs, sporting Coke stains and fingers curled permanently in a controller grip of death.

Humoursly, yet sincerely, yours,
(Insert my name)
(insert my email address)

My condolences
Sep 18, 2003, 13:06
My condolences Sep 18, 2003, 13:06
Sep 18, 2003, 13:06

Blue, I too am a long time reader of Blue's News and I deeply appreciate all the hardwork, information and notices you put together on a daily basis as well as the humor you bring to us all.

I well understand how difficult it is for you right now as my mother has breast cancer that, after the 3rd incident of it in her body, she has decided not to treat as well as having a father who recently had a severe heart attack.

While I gave up my Catholic faith long ago, I'll send off what could be loosely described as a "prayer" for you and yours.

Come back to us Blue when you're ready, we'll be here.

Re: NOLF2
Sep 18, 2003, 02:06
Re: NOLF2 Sep 18, 2003, 02:06
Sep 18, 2003, 02:06

I'll wait for it to hit Bit Torrent

Re: No subject
Sep 17, 2003, 02:14
Re: No subject Sep 17, 2003, 02:14
Sep 17, 2003, 02:14

I downloaded it...played it...and was left underwhelmed.

201 megs for a small arena to bounce discs off the walls, kill 9 guys and a "Seeker" thing?

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Re: Damn!
Sep 4, 2003, 09:11
Re: Damn! Sep 4, 2003, 09:11
Sep 4, 2003, 09:11

From everything that I've read about the tools and mod friendly architecture of the game, you should be able to do just that Eon.

My take...
Sep 4, 2003, 09:06
My take... Sep 4, 2003, 09:06
Sep 4, 2003, 09:06

Homeworld 1 & 2 were all about strategy, not the annoyingly prevelant idea of "build, build, build...RUSH!" mentality of annoyingly incompetent games like Command and Conquer.

I've been playing the shit out of the demo since I got it and, almost always, the enemy has either equivalent or superior forces to mine. I am pleasantly surprised to see that, given how the AI uses its military and production resources.

If I've got a frigate heavy fleet, I've seen it send in a whaleload of anti-cap corvettes. If I'm bomber heavy, gunships are the order of the day. Even when I've carefully blended my fleet, it's created a solution that either multiprongs my fleet to draw it apart or sends in a spearhead to open a wedge.

To the people who are saying that Homeworld 2 is a lot like the original, you're absolutely correct that it is. Yet, being the rabid, loony fanboi of Homeworld that I am, I remember clearly Dan Irish stating that Homeworld 2 would be evolutionary and not revolutionary.

To me, that meant the game had been refined and a new "chapter" in the Hiigaran race's history would be presented without looking to break all sorts of new technical and artistic ground. Which, for me, works because I wanted to the enriching storyline of the Homeworld universe...not another eye candy fest or twitch gaming all the StarWarDiablocraft Generals titles try to faust off as "new".

I'll most certainly be buying this game as I feel that Homeworld 2, like Homeworld, will actually possess something I've not seen in a long, long time. An entertaining story that brings me, the player, out of my reality and puts me in another one while making me care about the plight of the people I am representing.

*Here there be spoilers*
My impression of the game rose dramatically when I was doing the Mothership trials mission and the Vagyr started attacking me. My first thought was "Not again! The Taidanis kicked us off Kharak this way and we JUST got settled in to Hiigara!" It made me feel a lot like Moses leading the Hebrews in the Christian myth residing in the Old Testament.

For people who've never played the first Homeworld, go buy it...it's like 10 bucks at any Fry's or CompUSA. Play through it so you'll understand the history and premise of the first chapter of the series. This will give you an enormously better understanding of the game's universe than by just jumping in.

15 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older