Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doug Blatherwick

Real Name Doug Blatherwick   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Hanneth
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 25, 2003, 02:10
Total Comments 67 (Suspect)
User ID 18148
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Nintendo Switch Announced
28. Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 15:17 Hanneth
"Battery life also tends to be on the high side."
Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha. LOL! ROFL!
On my Wii, that I barely used, I was constantly replacing the batteries. So much so that I got rechargeable batteries that I was constantly charging and changing half way through a gaming session. This combined with another person talking about always having to have the tablet of the WiiU plugged in makes me think this will be as much of a disaster in design.

Then I see all the people with the handhelds with massive external batteries to try make it so they can just play while they are in transit.

Fortunately I was able to sell off my Wii at a reasonable price, but for what was supposed to be a cheap console, I payed more for it than my PS3 and I was a fairly early adopter of the PS3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
7. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 13, 2016, 21:01 Hanneth
The planets are first procedurally generated using seed information. Then an artist goes in and can paint on biomes on the macro to normal level. They can also place down objects. These objects could be fully hand crafted landing zones, or just trees, rocks and people.

Chris wants no planets, or moons that are just procedurally generated. He wants at least some artist sculpting, even if it is a barren rock moon.
News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
104. Star Citizen MMO Oct 11, 2016, 21:56 Hanneth
Star Network 1.0 is scheduled for Alpha 3.0. At minimum this will allow them to use 16 cores per instance rather than the 4 that are currently used. Item 2.0 will fully come online with this greatly reducing network traffic. I would be surprised if partial dynamic instancing wasn't part of this as it is a major part of the networking code rewrite. I wouldn't be surprised if they start out with up to 100 people per instance and major areas as their own instances that you can fly into that instance.

As for when 4.0, that will be late 2017. Chris said the are going for a release every 2-3 months.
3.0 - December 2016
3.1 - February-March 2017
3.2 - April-June 2017
3.3 - June-September 2017
4.0 - August-December 2017

Some of those releases are more ambitious than others, but also over 100 people will be freed up one Squadron 42 is released. Judging on their history of being able to deliver, I think we will most likely see 4.0 in late October 2017. Probably showing it off incomplete at GamesCon. Then showing off some exotic new biome at CitizenCon.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
62. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 20:20 Hanneth
First off, I think this article is a fair representation. Yes, the first part sounds a little one sided, but as you read the rest of the article, you understand why.

Where you stand with the information in the article depends on your point of view. I look at it where we need people that are going to push the boundaries. Plus they are releasing so much information about how they solved the problem, other games can take all that research and use it. Others may think, no they should be keeping the research to themselves, or go with established solutions.

As for Derek being semi-right... He said that combined first person and third person wasn't possible, or would be crappy. He said that multiple people getting on a ship, then landing somewhere else with no loading screens was impossible with current technology. He said that the full scope of the game can't be made for less than $150 million, well he might be right, but they are at $124 million. He seems to suffer from, if I can't do it, nobody can. Also, last I checked, CIG is still working on the game, and according to Derek they should be completely out of money now.

Do people have legitimate concerns about the game? Yes, but I've read some of Derek's ranting and ravings and he even admits to posting stuff to try to piss people off.
News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 10:31 Hanneth
I was going to ask how do they know if you are spoofing GPS, then it came to me that their tracking is so horrible, they can just detect if you ever go in a straight line without popping all over the place.  
News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears
22. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 8, 2016, 03:01 Hanneth
Considering they say they are still on schedule to deliver Squadron 42 this year, I think we should probably see a new graphics engine soon. They have talked about it being designed for DirectX 12 and Vulcan. It will be backward compatible with DirectX 11 and will run faster than the current engine on that API.

I think you were probably meaning game engine, but they have been working on replacing the rendering engine for quite some time now.

Unfortunately most people's performance problems have to do with the network code and how CryEngine handles objects.

The above is being dealt with in a multi-prong approach. Item System 2.0 allows more customization, better interactions and the ability to glob items together. Like being able to say move ship to here, instead of basically individually moving the thousands of objects that individually are part of, or in the spaceship.

They are also working on only sending information on what you can see.
Right now, you can look at network traffic and know there are 20 people on a ship and everything they have equipped. You don't even have to be able to see the ship.

Multi-theading the servers. Right now they only really support 4 cores. They have 16 core servers that they run 4 instances on right now. Currently they support 24 players per server. This will give them 96, without any other optimization.

One of the major fixes for this will be the dynamic server transitions. CryEngine only updates what is close to a user. This works fairly well when everyone is close together, like in most FPS games, but sucks when people spread out, like in Star Citizen. The plan was always to have transitions between servers, but they are now taking it a step further where a server will service a whole solar system when there are very few people there, but if a whole bunch of people come and are at one space station, a server will be spun up just to handle what is happening at that station.

Just wondering if we'll see the imminent "we're switching to a new graphics engine" announcement at some point.
News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Rock Band 4 Instruments Jun 3, 2016, 19:41 Hanneth
I bought Rock Band 4 digitally. Found that my old guitars don't work that great for it, so I was looking at buying 1 new one. The only way for me to do it back then was to buy Rock Band 4 again with a guitar. I already had Rock Band 4, I just wanted a guitar!
I see they are finally selling the instruments by themselves, but with the new partnership and people saying how the original RB4 instruments felt really cheap, I'm holding out for the new instruments.
News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
43. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 20:59 Hanneth
TBH I still have yet to see an answer to my similar question directed at Star Citizen, other than it will be like Wing Commander, whatever that means.

There is the single player story to Star Citizen called Squadron 42, which you will be a pilot fighting the Vanduul as part of Squadron 42 in the military. The Vanduul have been taking star systems from the UEE for a long time, and it is time to fight back.

Star Citizen takes place after the events of the story of Squadron 42. It is more just a sandbox game. You can be a bounty hunter, a pirate, a cargo hauler, a miner, information runner, or other possibilities. There is no real story, but there is a back end simulator that will keep track of everything and generate missions based on what is happening. Also CIG can seed that back end system with some short stories. We have seen the start of this with the Covalex Shipping Hub.
News Comments > Star Citizen Free Week
22. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 15:24 Hanneth
Yup, they haven't released anything in the last 2 years. All we can do is go in our hanger, look at our ships and dogfight single player ships.

They didn't release the planetside module in August of last year. Okay, rather dull, but they still did.

They definitely did not deliver the Baby Persistent Universe in December that showed they could do what Derek Smart said they couldn't. Being able to start on a station in first person, get in a ship with some friends, or stowaways, in a Constellation Andromeda having one person fly and other people in the turrets.

And there is nothing to do except fly around and shoot other ships. There is no Covalex Shipping Hub mission that shows the starting of the mission system.

Of course you can't get any weapons and shoot each other in first person. Especially not on Security Outpost Kareah.

No way to go fix your ship either at Cry-Astro Service.

Okay, so maybe the number of ships hasn't increased in 2 years. I think we maybe had 8 at that time. This is the list now:
-Aurora ES
-Aurora MR
-Aurora CL
-Aurora LN
-Aurora LX
-Avenger Stalker
-Avenger Titan
-Avenger Warlock
-Constellation Andromeda
-Cutlass Black
-F7A Hornet
-F7C Hornet
-F7C-S Hornet Ghost
-F7C-R Hornet Tracker
-F7C-M Super Hornet
-Mustang Alpha
-Mustang Beta
-Mustang Gamma
-Mustang Delta
-Mustang Omega
-P-52 Merlin
-Vanduul Glaive
-Vanduul Scythe
-Vanguard Warden

Of course we haven't seen any planetside technology that is supposed to be coming probably by the end of June, that was originally scheduled for post launch, but we are getting it earlier because of the increased funds.
News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Not hard for the US to find the terrorists Mar 12, 2016, 14:25 Hanneth
Considering that the US Government supplies money, guns, equipment and performs the majority of terrorist attacks in the world. It shouldn't be that hard for them to find the terrorists.
Of course in their view terrorism is fine, unless is it performed against their country.
Honestly the War on Terror is a joke because the only way to win it is for the US to wipe itself out!
News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
30. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Dec 26, 2015, 17:55 Hanneth
Win 7, 8GB RAM, Core i5 @ 3.5 GHz, GTX670
*Points at the GTX670*
There is the problem. nVidia cards and drivers are buggy beyond belief.

In my experience it has been very difficult to get things to run properly using basic DirectX feature. AMD aren't the best cards, but for the basic stuff they tend to just work.

My friends who professionally write games have the same experience. They tell me they program the game, then spend at least a month trying to get it to not crash and run smoothly on nVidia cards.

Intel graphics they like because they have the most stable drivers, but the low performance they don't like.

Of course Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 isn't the most stable thing in the world, but I can usually play for a while without it crashing. Alpha 2.1 I experience the performance problem they mentioned pretty quickly. For me it seems to happen when trying to fly the Freelancer.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 23, 2015, 19:07 Hanneth
CPU emulation isn't the biggest problem for emulating most platforms. It is the GPU that is usually the biggest problems. Yes, Xbox and Xbone both use x86 compatible CPUs, but the Xbox used an nVidia GPU and the XBone uses an AMD.

The limited backwards compatibility of Xbox games on 360 was achieved by rewriting some of the shaders. nVidia threatened to sue Microsoft, but didn't because Microsoft didn't try to emulate the nVidia chip.
News Comments > AMD Driver Changes
3. Faster Startup Nov 2, 2015, 14:58 Hanneth
One of the things that most people seem to be missing is that the new setting app will be quicker to startup. It uses QT instead of .Net. The OS was always telling me about how slow CCC was to start and how it hindered my start-up performance.

The other thing is since it is based on QT, it should work just as well in Linux as it does in Windows bringing them more parity.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
18. Why Not Upgrade to Windows 10 Oct 27, 2015, 02:32 Hanneth
Windows 10 is much better than Windows 8 and 8.1. So upgrading from those is a no brainier. The problem is that Windows 10 has both better and worse things than Windows 7.

Do you want to watch DVDs, use Windows Media Center, or play some simple games like solitaire without ads? Windows 10 you are paying for 3rd party software there.

Will all your hardware work with Windows 10? I have hardware that is officially supported in Windows 10 and I can't get it to work because the OS says the signature is not valid. It isn't only the company, but Microsoft says it is compatible. Will your software work? Even if it says it will work, I've found some that doesn't.

Basically Windows 10 may be better than Windows 7 for what you do, but it is a crap shoot, they had to have something that was better across the board than Windows 7 and they didn't deliver.

I am still waiting for my start menu back. That Frankenstein tile creation does not count.
News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
91. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 18:01 Hanneth
Yes, when you use Kickstarter you are entering into a contract with the end party. Kickstarter stipulates that for the contract to be fulfilled the "creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward."

CIG mentioned a completion date that has been passed. Some people are claiming that this is a break of contract, even though the contract clearly states.

"At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays,"
News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
88. What We Have Here Is A Failure To Communicate Aug 24, 2015, 17:48 Hanneth
Here is the first part of what backers agree to in a Kickstarter campaign. I left out if the project fails due to Star Citizen not meeting this criteria. At least not yet.
When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.
I am not going to say there haven't been changes and delays. I am going to point out that if you kickstarted this project, you already agreed to the terms that this could happen.

From the original scope. The length of the single player game has been extended. Motion capture has been added. Physically-Based Rendering has been added. More star systems, better player models, better sound, more ships and many more things. Some of these were stretch goals, others weren't.

I backed knowing Chris Roberts history. I don't think he has ever delivered a game on time. That being said he always finds a way to deliver, and all the games of his I have played have been fun. Furthermore, I knew that for a Freelancer 2 he wanted to be able to get out of a ship and walk around town/space station. Very lofty goals, but I knew if he delivered something a bit better than Freelancer with persistence, it would be really fun.

On the other hand, even with my background knowledge, I had to do a lot of research before deciding to back as the web site and kickstarter campaign were kind of vague on a lot of things. I backed after the kickstarter as it took a long time to do all the research.

Did I think from the beginning he would be able to deliver everything promised. Highly doubted it. Do I think he can now? Yes. Most of the basic tech is in place. A ton of art left to do, some tech to do an a lot of code polish, but it was the tech I was really worried about.

Was an expected delivery date given? Yes
Is it past that date? Yes
According to the contract has he done anything wrong yet? No
Do I think Chris Roberts has lied? No. He's a developer and under estimates the work. Sometimes gets ideas that don't pan out. There have been times he wanted to rework things to make them better. He is enthusiastic about the project and wants to make The Best Damn Space Game.

As for communication. They have a weekly update on Star Marine right now. 10 for the Chairman every Monday, Around the Verse progress report on Wednesdays, Reverse the Verse to ask questions on Friday, monthly updates from all studios monthly, regular meet the devs and expanded system posts every so often. There is a ton of information they are releasing, probably more than most people can keep up with.

How about Squadron 42? They have stated a lot of times that they want the story to be a surprise. We know that the script is done, motion capture is finished and the first campaign can be played all the way through. I said played all the way through, not finished, probably tons of art and assets left to complete.

News Comments > Independent Legal Briefs
3. re: FBI Offering 4.2 Million Jul 3, 2015, 19:03 Hanneth
They are just trying to find the people that know the truth with proof, lock them away, and throw away the key. THERE IS NO MONEY!!!  
News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
53. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 14:03 Hanneth
Windows 10 is free. The cost of compatible hardware and software is not.

I have a recent Brother Multi-function Printer that is supported on Windows 8.1. I've spent hours trying to get it to work on my print server to no avail. Fortunately my main computer is running Windows 7 and I can network the printer to get it working.

Right now if I were to upgrade, that would require $500 for a new printer because my fairly new "supported" printer does not work.

My last computer I downgraded to Windows 8 and then 8.1 and I couldn't get my DVD/Blu-ray software to work, even though it was officially supported.

Some of my games don't work on Windows 8 and probably won't in Windows 10. The two I know off the top of my head are The Sims: Medieval and Diablo 2. I recalling lots of software problems and these probably won't be fixed in Windows 10.

So while the software is "Free", many pieces of hardware are not supported, some of the supported hardware do not work. There are many pieces of software that no longer work, some of the supported software doesn't work. To upgrade you need to pay to replace these things and the cost can add up quickly.
News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
14. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support Aug 17, 2014, 01:01 Hanneth
My experience is that Windows 8.x may, boot way faster, or way slower. My old main rig went from 60 second start up in Windows 7 to 90 seconds in Windows 8. 8.1 did not improve things.

My netbook, officially unsupported by Windows 8, went from 80 second start up to 20 seconds.

As for application support, there are a number of games that will not run in Windows 8.1, some of them quite new. My blu-ray player will not run, even though it is officially supported. Though I upgraded from Windows 7 instead of fresh install and apparently Windows forgot to install one of the base DLL files which caused the blu-ray player not to work. I also needed to get new versions of some of my video editing software. In my experience Windows 8.x was a crappy downgrade experience all around on the software compatibility side.

My new rig I upgrade to Windows 7 and I must say the usability and compatibility has gone way up. It boots in 24 seconds.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Console Crisis Mar 10, 2014, 11:16 Hanneth
Actually there was a reason to upgrade to the PS3 when it came out. You could play blu-ray discs. You had to have a HD TV to do this and the selection of videos wasn't that great at the time. Also you could play most of your PS2 and PS1 games. It was an upgrade.

With the PS4, you can't play PS1, PS2, or PS3 games from disk as is. PS4 does not support Blu-ray 3D yet. (A deal breaker for me) Cannot currently play CDs, or MP3s. Basically the PS4 is an alpha product, it is feature incomplete.

The Xbox One suffers the same problem of being an alpha product. They shipped with features missing they knew some people want. The new start screen apparently worse than than the 360, which is being worked on. While it is a definite upgrade in being able to watch Blu-rays as well as DVDs, it doesn't support Blu-ray 3D either.
67 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

Blue's News logo