Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Doug Blatherwick

Real Name Doug Blatherwick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hanneth
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 25, 2003, 02:10
Total Comments 82 (Suspect)
User ID 18148

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of "New" Designation
38. Re: Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of Aug 13, 2018, 12:49 Hanneth

Either you don't know the law, or don't live in tge USA, or Canada. The law specifically allows people to resell items, including games, without the concent of the publisher. The fact that game publisher purposely subverting the law doesn't make what they are doing legal. What they are dping is actually illegal, but you would need someone with deep pockets and lots of time to go after these publishers for tgeir illegal actions.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Plans?
8. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Plans? Jun 22, 2018, 15:12 Hanneth

Didn't they already basically say that they were going to have a PC version by having the double revolver unlock in GTA Online?
Remember the ad for PC also said to unlock stuff in RDR2.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 1
1. Re: EA CEO's damage control speech Jun 11, 2018, 19:55 Hanneth

All I heard was Lies, Lies, Lies. Lies, more lies and concluding with a lie.

We have lied to you and screwed you over for decades now, but believe us when we say we are learning how to better trick you into thinking we will somehow change. We will improve our lies and give you less content while monetizing more after already charging you for a full game and not delivering.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July
9. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July May 18, 2018, 19:30 Hanneth

Don't you mean
No Man's Sky FINALLY

007Bistromath wrote on May 18, 2018, 15:55:
Given that this was supposed to be a key feature from the beginning, I would think a better name for this would be No Man's Sky PREVIOUS.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients
4. Heroes of the Storm Offering Original Price Refunds? Apr 3, 2018, 22:52 Hanneth

And Blizzard is offering full refunds to those that cannot meet the new requirements right?
I personally have never bought, or played it, but if anyone's computer does not match the new minimum requirements, by law, they are required to to offer a full refund of the price the person paid, or some way to play the game in another way.
There is already case presidence for this.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Outage Fix and Compensation
1. That is rather nice of them Mar 8, 2018, 11:54 Hanneth

Most companies, even if you pay a monthly fee, just tell you to suck it up. Even Loot Crate, which seems to be chronically late now, barely offers an apology. Good on you Facebook!
Though on the software front, VR is very much in the early adopters phase, I don't regret buying the Rift and would recommend it to others.
For me, it was a Rift, or a 28 inch 4K monitor and I think I made the right choice. Especially with the exact future of monitors being in flux right now.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
5. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 13:01 Hanneth

Most of the time the settings application fails to install.
Sometimes Windows 10 seg faults and reboots in the middle of installing the drivers.
I found a 50% success rate if I uninstalled the drivers, deleted the old drivers install directory, ran the AMD clean-up utility, then manually go into the registry and remove any AMD references.
Up until December's driver I could just download and run the installer.
Up until October I could use the built in update button.
I didn't try the February drivers, as I didn't want to fight with my system to get things working again.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
2. Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 11:24 Hanneth

Seriously, doesn't AMD test their installers?
The Adrenaline installer is worse than whatever AMD did to the Radeon installer when they first bought out ATI. The last two times I've installed I was wondering if I had to sacrifice a live chicken to the AMD gods to get things to work.

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek
35. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Jan 29, 2018, 15:32 Hanneth

I agree theyarecomingforyou about the case not being strong. The only problem being that this is a court action in the US, and as we have seen by cases like SCO vs IBM, these things can get drawn out for years. The SCO case going on 15 years now.
The one bit of hope is that CIG is getting sued in California, instead of Texas. Which I find a bit surprising as CIG's original office is in Texas and the Texas court is more likely to draw this out. California is more likely to actually take a look at the documents as presented.

Too bad this isn't Canada. Our courts, though imperfect, would throw this case out with prejudice. The original filing is exploratory, meaning they are trying to find proof of breach of contract, instead of having proof. This is highly frowned on in Canada. Then they purposely misrepresented the contract, which even if they had provided some proof, is grounds for complete dismissal.

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek
32. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Jan 29, 2018, 12:51 Hanneth

We only know pieces of information about Crytek's financials and current owned IP, but what we do know is in 2013 Crytek was unable to make payroll multiple times for 1 to 2 months. This lead to many lead devs quitting their jobs. Some of these people started the Frankfurt RSI Studio. In 2013 CIG and Crytek renegotiated their deal. According to ex-Crytek employees it was Crytek that approached CIG to buy a normal GLA for for the price reduced by the amount CIG had already paid. This allegedly allowed Crytek to start paying their employees again.
In 2015 Crytek was having troubles making payroll again. Amazon bought a license to CryEngine 3 for an undisclosed amount. According to at least 4 anonymous employees the deal was for full rights to the CryEngine 3 for $50 to $70 million. Crytek was using the CryEngine 4 at this time.
Reports continued into and through 2016 of employees not being paid for up to 6 months. At the end of 2016 one of the disgruntled accountants said Crytek was $23 million in debt. This was after selling 3 studios, multiple franchise IPs and trying to sell, or close down 3 more. They were trying to go down to 2 offices. Not surprisingly, during these periods of non-payment many more senior developers left the company.

My take, I don't think Crytek is worried about not licensing their engine anymore, I think the financial hardships and lack of skilled developers has long since kept new companies from considering CryEngine.

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
47. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 18:28 Hanneth

Try re-reading it. This means you can pay to not only get better gear, but also be paired with people you can slaughter with your new gear.
It quite literally is pay to win.

chickenboo wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:45:
The thing that irks me about this, is that this is once again simply common sense. It's already obvious that junior players are going to see the pros running around with their (a la TF2) iPod earbuds and hats for their hats and Santa Claus beards and want them too, and head off to the store. Activision is simply codifying this into a patent so they can get the jump on other devs/publishers in the industry.

It's just so sad watching the industry go this way.

News Comments > Star Citizen 3.0 "Akin to Early Access"
32. Re: Star Citizen 3.0 Sep 11, 2017, 21:34 Hanneth

Actually 2.x was branched from master about 15 months ago when 2.4 was released. While the features from 2.5 and 2.6 would have been merged to master, some fixes would have been too time consuming to merge to the old branch they have been releasing from.
We are getting over a year's worth of work. Also, they already have some 3.1 items done. Can't wait for 3.0 and hopefully 3.1 will make it out before the end of the year.

News Comments > Insurgency Sandstorm E3 Trailer
1. Re: Insurgency Sandstorm E3 Trailer Jun 15, 2017, 19:32 Hanneth

What is the name of the song in this trailer?  

News Comments > Need for Speed Payback Announced
1. Need for Speed Paycheck Jun 2, 2017, 10:20 Hanneth

Am I the only one that originally read this as Need for Speed Paycheck, and thought at least EA is being honest about their lack of care of games. Yes, I can see it says payback.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
26. Windows is made by incompetent programers with worse QA Oct 30, 2016, 01:13 Hanneth

Windows 10 Anniversary showed either Microsoft has completely incompetent QA, or no QA at all anymore! How can there be a change that breaks tens to hundreds of millions of devices. Including a majority of Webcam still on the market and they don't find the problem until after release?

This pure stupidity of "supporting" offline gaming in this way goes to show that no one at Microsoft has any brains at all anymore. Of course we already knew that when they didn't scrap the modern joke of an API.

News Comments > Nintendo Switch Announced
28. Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 15:17 Hanneth

"Battery life also tends to be on the high side."
Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha. LOL! ROFL!
On my Wii, that I barely used, I was constantly replacing the batteries. So much so that I got rechargeable batteries that I was constantly charging and changing half way through a gaming session. This combined with another person talking about always having to have the tablet of the WiiU plugged in makes me think this will be as much of a disaster in design.

Then I see all the people with the handhelds with massive external batteries to try make it so they can just play while they are in transit.

Fortunately I was able to sell off my Wii at a reasonable price, but for what was supposed to be a cheap console, I payed more for it than my PS3 and I was a fairly early adopter of the PS3.

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
7. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 13, 2016, 21:01 Hanneth

The planets are first procedurally generated using seed information. Then an artist goes in and can paint on biomes on the macro to normal level. They can also place down objects. These objects could be fully hand crafted landing zones, or just trees, rocks and people.

Chris wants no planets, or moons that are just procedurally generated. He wants at least some artist sculpting, even if it is a barren rock moon.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
104. Star Citizen MMO Oct 11, 2016, 21:56 Hanneth

Star Network 1.0 is scheduled for Alpha 3.0. At minimum this will allow them to use 16 cores per instance rather than the 4 that are currently used. Item 2.0 will fully come online with this greatly reducing network traffic. I would be surprised if partial dynamic instancing wasn't part of this as it is a major part of the networking code rewrite. I wouldn't be surprised if they start out with up to 100 people per instance and major areas as their own instances that you can fly into that instance.

As for when 4.0, that will be late 2017. Chris said the are going for a release every 2-3 months.
3.0 - December 2016
3.1 - February-March 2017
3.2 - April-June 2017
3.3 - June-September 2017
4.0 - August-December 2017

Some of those releases are more ambitious than others, but also over 100 people will be freed up one Squadron 42 is released. Judging on their history of being able to deliver, I think we will most likely see 4.0 in late October 2017. Probably showing it off incomplete at GamesCon. Then showing off some exotic new biome at CitizenCon.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
62. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 20:20 Hanneth

First off, I think this article is a fair representation. Yes, the first part sounds a little one sided, but as you read the rest of the article, you understand why.

Where you stand with the information in the article depends on your point of view. I look at it where we need people that are going to push the boundaries. Plus they are releasing so much information about how they solved the problem, other games can take all that research and use it. Others may think, no they should be keeping the research to themselves, or go with established solutions.

As for Derek being semi-right... He said that combined first person and third person wasn't possible, or would be crappy. He said that multiple people getting on a ship, then landing somewhere else with no loading screens was impossible with current technology. He said that the full scope of the game can't be made for less than $150 million, well he might be right, but they are at $124 million. He seems to suffer from, if I can't do it, nobody can. Also, last I checked, CIG is still working on the game, and according to Derek they should be completely out of money now.

Do people have legitimate concerns about the game? Yes, but I've read some of Derek's ranting and ravings and he even admits to posting stuff to try to piss people off.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 10:31 Hanneth

I was going to ask how do they know if you are spoofing GPS, then it came to me that their tracking is so horrible, they can just detect if you ever go in a straight line without popping all over the place.  

82 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo