Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1867 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 10:02 Pigeon

Probably your best bet is to go with a case designed to dampen sound and then go with a liquid cooling option. Unfortunately I don't think passive cooling is an option for a gamer unless you also happen to do field studies on antarctic penguins. I want to do the same thing, but have come to the conclusion I can't make a perceptible difference without sending ~$200 on my current rig.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
19. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 08:41 Pigeon

I would take this as good news, but it probably means EA will get everything. Just what we need, blander reskined clones of their other games. I am hopefully wrong and we'll see some other studios take up the IPs. A good marvel or star wars RPG would be amazing, or a worthy successors to the Xwing/TIE games.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 10, 2016, 10:23 Pigeon

Another prime example of why ad-blockers are necessary. But screw demanding better security from advertisers, how dare the people visiting their site protect themselves from ransomware...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2016, 16:43 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 9, 2016, 14:06:
Pigeon wrote on May 9, 2016, 13:43:
A tale from the book of Windows being a bastard: I have an old Vista laptop I use on rare occasion, one of those rare occasions was this weekend. After I was done using it I decided to let it update since the last time was back in February. After 2 hours of it searching for updates, I stopped it and did a little googling about the issue, and tried some simple fixes. Then I let it search for 5 hours, still nothing, more googling and noticing it appears to be a semi-common issue where the only working solution is to let it go until it's done, which in my case was 11 hours before it found updates. 12 hours after that I'm still working on getting those updates installed. I'm sure if I didn't have to sleep or work I could have cut that extra 12 hours in half, but still a major pain in the ass. I also get the feeling this is going to be the new normal for this laptop.

Pigeon, un-maintained Vista can be a real pig. This might not be your problem and has nothing to do with the Windows Update issues but be sure to run defrag, i have seen it take hours on customers vista machines.

As for Windows Update, There is a microsoft update for Windows 7 that reduces the amount of time for the first windows update from hours to <hour on os reinstalls. Not sure if such an update is available for Vista.
Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu
Windows6.1-KB3102810-x86.msu
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

You might have a Windows Update corruped store. Have you ran the built in windows update troubleshooter.
Or for a more indepth reset of windows along with the Windows Update repair, there is Windows Repair v3.8.7 from tweaking.com . The free version works fine and comes in handy after malware/adware system cleanups.

And i bet you already saw this in your search wilderssecurity.com

While I didn't see that particular forum posting, there were others like it that came to very similar conclusions. I'll look into Update and Windows repair utilities just in-case.

Probably the most relevant quote from that thread to sum up the matter:
It won't be fixed until MS acknowledges the problem, and finally fixes it.

So... never

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2016, 13:43 Pigeon

A tale from the book of Windows being a bastard: I have an old Vista laptop I use on rare occasion, one of those rare occasions was this weekend. After I was done using it I decided to let it update since the last time was back in February. After 2 hours of it searching for updates, I stopped it and did a little googling about the issue, and tried some simple fixes. Then I let it search for 5 hours, still nothing, more googling and noticing it appears to be a semi-common issue where the only working solution is to let it go until it's done, which in my case was 11 hours before it found updates. 12 hours after that I'm still working on getting those updates installed. I'm sure if I didn't have to sleep or work I could have cut that extra 12 hours in half, but still a major pain in the ass. I also get the feeling this is going to be the new normal for this laptop.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 8, 2016, 19:13 Pigeon

Darks wrote on May 8, 2016, 17:10:
China, the no fun country. All work and no play makes China a fucked up place to live or be in.

If you have time to get off by watching women eat bananas, you've got time for another 12 hour shift in the Foxconn factory.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
8. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 10:26 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2016, 09:34:
Hopefully the 1070 will be affordable and actually ship in quantity...

Well MSRP is 380$, so make of that what you will. I'm sure availability will be slim for the first 2 months because reasons.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
1. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 09:20 Pigeon

Well, they did that without much fanfare, especially considering it'll be almost 2 years since the 980 and 970 were released. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for some benchmarks. Been considering upgrading to a 1440p 144Hz setup sometime this year, hoping the 1070 will be perfect for that.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 11:31 Pigeon

nin wrote on May 6, 2016, 11:00:
Who is the sadomasochistic asshole who designed that web page? Holy shit, popups (the story) and video both (with ad blocker running)...

Note to self: never visit USAToday...

That's where noscript comes in handy. It can be a bit of a bother sometimes, but it's a bother that keeps me more secure and rids me of the annoyance of webpages auto-running crap.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2016, 15:25 Pigeon

El Pit wrote on May 5, 2016, 13:41:
I do not want to troll (really), but that VR hype died off extremely quickly, right?

I was thinking along the same lines. Its a new market with a lot of people feeling it's just a fad that won't get any traction. They really needed to hit it out of the park at launch and they completely fucked it up. And it really seems like a business 101 problem; they should have known early on how long it would take to manufacture units and the likely demand. Instead they just kept taking pre-orders and they can't fulfill in a timely manner. Not a good way to induce confidence in new customers.

6. Re: First Female President confirmed May 4, 2016, 13:06 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 4, 2016, 12:18:
Now that Cruz and Kasich have dropped out leaving the official candidate of the WWE, it ensures that the USA will get its first female president.
order has been restored to the force

One would think that's how things will turn out, but then his run to become the candidate was initially seen as a joke. Also while I don't think it will happen with Hillary, the democrats have a tendency to trip and fall flat on their face when they should have a slam dunk.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2016, 11:50 Pigeon

Should be titled, 'Sweeney rambles on about frogs and hot water'. Not that I disagree about UWP being terrible. A poor history of properly implementing these kinds of things, their inability to explain the problem they're fixing without relying on buzzwords, and the positioning of the windows store at the center of everything doesn't induce a lot of confidence that UWP is anything but an attempt to be a worthless middleman.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 3, 2016, 15:27 Pigeon

This is basically where I see online streaming going, at least where the content creation companies (HBO, Disney, FOX)want to take it. $40 a month for a hand full of channels sounds like a real mixed bag, mostly the over priced sort. I fully suspect they'll cannibalize what's currently be offered with the base service to add more "value" to such a bundle service.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
14. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 3, 2016, 09:41 Pigeon

Shineyguy wrote on May 3, 2016, 09:28:
To everybody that is having issues with the newest drivers, please do a full DDU (using the Display Driver Cleaner app) to remove all driver remnants from your PC and proceed with a truly clean driver install.

This may resolve the issue for most of you.

DDU has helped resolve many display driver issues for me; which sort of highlights that there's an inherent flaw in how drivers, or at least display drivers, are updated in windows. It used to be the only way I could update drivers for AMD without losing some aspect ratio features.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 3, 2016, 08:55 Pigeon

Sell as much as you can, worry about fulfilling those sales later. Unless there was a huge problem late in the production cycle there's no reason they shouldn't have seen this coming. The ethical thing to do would have been to halt preorders when they realized they weren't going to have enough units to fulfill those orders in a timely fashion. But who cares about business ethics anymore...  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2016, 15:43 Pigeon

jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2016, 15:01:
jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2016, 14:56:
I heard Texas got 6.5 trillion gallons of rain during a 24 hour period a couple days ago. That's insane.

That's it, we need a giant canal flowing from Texas to California... Build it along the Mexican border and kill two birds with one stone!

So long as you don't mind taking some water moccasins and gators with it.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2016, 14:31 Pigeon

We were supposed to get a lot of rain this weekend which thankfully failed to materialize into anything but a brief morning shower. I doubt most of the rivers, bayou's or reservoirs could hold much more.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2016, 14:40 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 13:13:
How did the weasel get past the retinal scanners.
I watched Particle Fever, informative.

If I've learned anything from comic books it's that the didn't get fried, but was turned into super weasel with the power to control electricity, dubbed The Electric Weasel!

1. Re: 3.5mm jack Apr 29, 2016, 11:35 Pigeon

As long as it's a universal standard and doesn't jack up the price with licensing fees I'm all for it.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2016, 13:15 Pigeon

Apple Watch: large awkward and inelegant for a watch, small awkward and clumsy for a phone.  

1867 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo