Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2370 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2017, 13:29 Pigeon

But the FCC shortly thereafter came out with a statement claiming that it wasn't a massive backlash to the agency's actions that crippled the website, but a DDoS attack coincidentally conducted at the exact same time Oliver's program aired.

The problem? Security experts doubted the claim, stating they'd seen none of the usual botnet or other online activity that traditionally precedes such attacks.

Similarly skeptical reporters reached out to the FCC for further details, but the agency refused to comment or provide hard detail. That led many to wonder if the agency was simply lying in a rather silly effort to create a bogus counter-narrative to the obvious, overwhelming support for net neutrality highlighted by Oliver's latest segment.

Lie, obstruct and deflect, it's the Trump administration way. I don't have a lot of hope this will go anywhere, but it's nice to know there are public servants out there actually trying to look-out for the public's best interests.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2017, 21:55 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 21:35:
Are the ruskies just now remembering WW2?

Certainly a better memory than our "many sides" chetto in chief.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 14:54 Pigeon

PHJF wrote on Aug 17, 2017, 13:51:
Uhhhh, Blue...

... where's your facial hair?

Lost to the great manstovia flare of 2015.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 21:26 Pigeon

WaltC wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 19:55:
... Where would a (D) be these days without packs of idiot superlatives to throw at people who don't agree with them? They have no facts, no arguments, no logic and rationale with which to present their views--so we get "shame", instead. What a pack of neanderthals! Ugh! I've been without net neutrality rules since 1995 when I dropped AOL and went to "raw, uncut" Internet--and I've never had a single site that I've wanted to visit denied me--ever. People who argue that the ISPs might find it in their interests to restrict access to certain sites are *idiots*...;)

Most of these people think that the ISPs are simply chomping at the bit to scare off and chase off most of their customers...!...

I know I'm biting, but what the hell.

Hypothetically let us say you run a telecom/media conglomerate. Obviously one of your top goals (if not the top goal) is to keep increasing your profit margin. The ISP portion of your corporation enjoys a monopoly or near monopoly in most markets, while your media portion faces a lot of competition. Most of this competition comes from the internet, where enterprising individuals harnessed a *new* technology to provide media content in a more convenient form for consumers. Youíre behind the curve because your more traditional way of providing media was very profitable, until it wasnít. Now you have to play catchup, but there are several well-established content services that people arenít going to leave for your services without good reason. You could a. create an online media service that offered better content and/or value than your many competitors (this will take a lot of time and money), or b. use the fact that youíre the gate keeper to your competitorsí media content to leverage your way into the market (cost is low and you can start immediately). Which would you choose?

Does it really seem illogical that telecoms would choose option b? Obviously if you outright block your competitorsí content people will be pissed, but if you prioritize your own content, make it exempt from data caps, or high usage slowdowns most people will just notice itís easier to use your content than your competitorsí. Better yet you can make deals with your competitors so they pay you to prioritize their content; win fucking win for your telecom/media conglomerate.

Would people be okay if Walmart owned the road to Target and in addition to charging people to drive on that road they lowered the speed limit to 25, narrowed it to one lane, and put in speed bumps every 1/8th of a mile?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 16, 2017, 19:32 Pigeon

Months later, Kjellberg says he has a different perspective about those jokes and says heís no longer going to make them.

All it took was someone dying, I mean other than ~6 million Jews, for him to get some perspective. I get it, humor is subjective and the line between being edgy and a douche bag isn't always obvious, but at least have some cognizance of why what you're saying is offensive. If memory serves correct his defense was something along the lines of lol jk what's the big deal.

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 18:43:
Lack of cloudflare support means the racist trolls have no place to go but the White House. sad

Don't worry there are still plenty over at yahoo-news' comments section. I used to find reading all the stupid comments entertaining, my guilty pleasure, now I just feel sick.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2017, 15:35 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 13:51:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 13:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 09:58:
Fitting line about this seasons GoT.
Not really a spoiler but hidden for those late watchers.
The pace is comically speedy, fit to be set to the Benny Hill theme
I liked it better when it was based on a book instead of television writers.
But I'm still watching. Amazed

Yeah, I don't get it, why the rush to finish it? What we've seen so far of this shorter season could have been two full-length ones in the earlier style...

If they have enough content, and the ratings are the highest they've ever been (those don't even include streaming), what am I missing? Some newly-appointed douchebag exec put the kiebash on it just because he can? Or are they in some kind of budget crunch situation where they failed to monetize well enough to cover escalating production costs?

Just trying to understand how HBO could stumble at the finish line like this, so grossly mishandling their highest-rated show of all time. It's still entertaining, but they've clearly lost their way without the guidance of the books to flesh it out and reminds me of any number of other series who were canceled prematurely and had to desperately shoehorn everything they could into the final episodes.
They don't have any new material from George Raymond Richard Martin.
But hey, Every episode is a season finale!

I feel like there's been more plot armor since they've gotten away from the books. And I realize by saying that I've probably condemned a major character to death in the next episode

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 09:00 Pigeon

MeanJim wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 01:45:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 18:33:
$2 bills, and the $1 coins, seem to confuse the fuck out of a lot of people, who are of course running cash registers.

The Venn diagram for people who don't know the full list of US currency and people who are employed as cashiers is probably heavily overlapped.

The fact that he got arrested though...and it got to the Secret Service before they let him go... wow.

I've never actually seen one in circulation, i.e. been given one as change. You generally have to go to the bank and request them. I've used them before, but not in years (probably decades). I think I'm going to go to the bank and get a wad of $2 bills just to fuck with people now.

I used $1 coins to tip a pizza guy once and got the stink eye. Maybe he thought they were quarters or something. Either way it just gets added to the list of reasons why I'd rather go pick it up than have one delivered.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 10, 2017, 21:17 Pigeon

Don't worry Wisconsin, it won't take two decades... to realize you won't be breaking even at all. Paul Ryan really whored his state out for some political capital. I'm sure it'll work out for him too because fuck those economists with their math, OMG JERBS!! And by the time they realize they're going to get donkey punched Ryan will deflect the blame on unions, democrats and/or immigrants.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2017, 13:35 Pigeon

MT Silver wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 09:49:
Maybe Americans don't need the FCC.

That is what Ajit is trying to prove. He's like every infomercial actor ever, ĎOh fuck I dumped spaghetti all over the floor cause Iím completely incompetent and lack basic motor skills, I need the Ronco no-spill spaghetti strainer for 5 easy payments of $19.95.í

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 10, 2017, 08:48 Pigeon

A quick search suggests the graphics hardware is not available to run most modern games at or near 144 FPS @4k. Even two 1080tiís in SLI are only hitting around 60FPS in many games, seems like they could wait till 2019. Though Iím sure there are a lot of people who would(will) throw money their money at them regardless, because OMG 4K144GSYNCHDR!!!!!  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2017, 08:29 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 02:25:
Ars Technica releasing the name of a not or not yet CONVICTED suspect violates the press codex.

Just saying, if we did the same to the author he would probably not be amused....

If the FBI released the name, which I'm assuming they did, doesn't that make it public knowledge?

8. Re: Most punchable face punched Aug 4, 2017, 17:08 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 16:48:
'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli Convicted Of Securities Fraud

He added that Shkreli's image issues have posed a challenge to the case:

"Martin is a brilliant young man, but sometimes people skills don't translate well.

Yes it is hard to translate walking bag of human garbage into people skills.

Speaking of those people skills; from another article:
Barely an hour after the verdict, he was livestreaming on YouTube from his apartment, holding a beer and predicting that the sentence would be "close to nil." He said that if he does go to prison, it will probably be a "Club Fed" where he will "play basketball and tennis and Xbox" for a couple of months.

While I feel the sort violence that can be perpetrated in prison is a horrible thing to ever wish upon someone, I feel Shkreli is an exception.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2017, 18:24 Pigeon

GothicWizard wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 17:48:
Alex Jones is either totally insane or the best PR/huckster since RonCo.

If you're a bat shit loony might as well play to the crowd and get rich in the process.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2017, 13:54 Pigeon

Nucas wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:06:
i'm surprised how much was left to happen off-screen in game of thrones last night. in one fell swoop of the space of 10 minutes of offscreen drama daenarys is stripped of all her westerosi allies and unsullied forces it took her years to acquire. i loved the truncated pace of season six but so far season 7 has just felt like dead air to me. i can only hope they're banking their screen time and budget for some shocking material later in the season but it's still irksome knowing there's only 4 episodes left this season, and 6 next year to resolve everything.

My cynical, and probably correct, side says this is more for financial reasons than because of the shortened season. Massive battle scenes take a lot of time and money, and while entertaining donít advance the plot as much as a nice cheap static dialogue scene. Both the Casterly Rock and Highgardens battles probably could have been amazing episodes on their own. I also felt like the much anticipated meeting between Danny and John was strained and anti-climactic. As usual, loved Olenna's final FU to Cersie; though I was kind of expecting Jamie to run her through after she said that. Looking forward to next week all the same.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2017, 13:35 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 12:20:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 28, 2017, 11:52:
Apologies in advance for an unprompted political opinion. Skip this to avoid politics.

Wow, Lindsay Graham and others stand up and admit "the skinny bill as policy is a disaster" -- and yet Graham votes for the bill. Only the Ds, Collins, Murkowski and McCain vote against it. A defeat by a single vote. I was not necessarily surprised, but I was slightly disappointed. I thought perhaps more of the GOP members would "see the light".

Congratulations to Collins, Murkowski and McCain for actually putting their constituents ahead of their party. The battle isn't over. Now the Ds have to manage to stop the GOP from gutting the ACA through funding measures and whatever other means they can find. Already governors are concerned because administration officials have not indicated if they will supply the funds which are used to supplement ACA insurance plans after the end of this month.

Still pissed at McCain for voting to proceed with debate on this bill, but at least he did the right thing here. Still it's mind boggling that a bunch of the other Repubs, who have millions of constituents that rely on the ACA and Medicaid are supporting it. Thinking of people like Heller (NV) whose own governor is opposed to these bills since 10% of his state will lose insurance.

The stupidest thing here is the way they're going about it: no debate, no plan, no actual thought put into what's best for the country, just "WE MUST OVERTURN THE KENYAN MUSLIM COMMUNIST HEALTHCARE BILL."

Fuck the GOP.

McCain appears to want a repeal and replace, where the replacement is 'theoretically' a workable solution. So while he's not on the side of the ACA, he appears at least for the moment, to be against setting fire to the health care system because he doesn't like the ACA.

Graham barks a lot, but puts his tail between his legs when it's time to act. I suspect he knew McCain was going to vote against it, and thus they didn't have the needed votes to pass it, but instead of making a statement he chose the spineless route.

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Jul 27, 2017, 13:42 Pigeon

Stealth kills were by far the easiest way to get through the levels, and head shots were truly the only way to effectively deal with large groups of alert enemies. Towards the end of the game thereís a level where youíre forced into an all-out gun battle with a bunch of enemies in a big room, I remember that being one of the more difficult moments in the game. Donít remember what difficulty I played at, but I donít think it wasnít the highest. Usually I find the highest difficulty produces a level of frustration that detracts from the fun.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2017, 12:59 Pigeon

I'd like to see that grant proposal; 'give me a lot of money and see if it makes me happy'.  

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2017, 14:37 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 13:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 11:38:
Snopes has met their goal. Divorce is always the hardest on the children.

What a mess.

Very unfortunate internal bickering could bring down such a useful site. I wonder what the ex-wife's relationship to the proper-media folks is, or if she just sold them the shares as a final FU to her husband.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 24, 2017, 15:29 Pigeon

I listened to the audio of her after the wreck; she said 'I miss you sweetie, rest in peace', like she was talking about her dog that died 6 years ago, not her sister that was bleeding out on the ground as she live streamed...  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 24, 2017, 08:54 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 24, 2017, 08:00:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2017, 00:54:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 22:55:
Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2017, 19:44:
There's not a whole of lot of point with autonomous cars unless they can force the vehicle behind you to stop tailgating. Following too close is 95% of accidents right there. Right behind that is people failing to indicate (properly). Unless Autcars can do something about that they're useless IMO.

An unfortunate side-effect of anti-lock breaks, they're so responsive and good at stopping you can usually get away with riding on someone's ass, at least until the person in front of you has to stop hard or you get momentarily distracted. I got rear ended at a light a few weeks ago. Light turned green I started to go, and the guy that had been sitting behind me hit me; it was a real WTF moment. Hell I've seen people tailgate when there are other lanes that are completely void of traffic. In summary, people are dumb and we're doomed as a species.

You just made the argument for all autos being computer-driven.

It's a fact that autonomous cars would cut accidents by 99.99%.... since these cars would not even need traffic lights or other nonsense, once the entire network is automated driving without AI is probably gonna become a crime

Sounds good to me. I rarely find driving an enjoyable activity, so the idea of just sitting back and relaxing and not having to worry about all the dinguses out there is quite attractive.

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 24, 2017, 07:33:
Your responsibility as a driver is never to "just get away with" something, it's not a contest.

People were tailgating long before the widespread adoption of anti-lock brakes. You can't blame technology on bad driving habits. Blame education and enforcement.
The rules for safe driving have never changed. http://teendriving.statefarm.com/teaching-a-teen-to-drive/being-a-role-model/following-distance

Not claiming it is a contest; however how people ought to behave and what they actually do are often two very different things. People will continue to engage in risky behavior so long as there is the perception of benefit and they can avoid the consequences most of the time. To be clear I'm not blaming technology, I'm blaming people for misusing it. Following distance recommendations have always (mostly) been about the human part of the equation; people need the time to react reliably.

2370 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo