Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2412 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 13:18 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 12:16:
On the John Oliver video, the other side of corporate consolidation is that they tend to be shitty market performers and are almost always destined to fail on a long enough timeline. As he points out though, what's more problematic is their ability to litigate and lobby to help keep their position and deny competitors the ability to enter the market. That seems to be the broader problem to me and where we need to address it rather than just trying to deny all large corporations from consolidating. Keeping the market relatively easy for competitors to enter and allow innovation is the most important thing, competition will force larger players to react or die.

That and their ability to use their monopoly to force competitors out, like was mentioned with Luxottica and Oakley. This is what I worry will happen with the ISPs turning into content deliverers/providers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2017, 08:37 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 04:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:15:
whodathunkit.
I bet putting it on Netflix only for those outside the US had nothing to do w/it.
I blame the Ferengi who don't want to pay.

Well the other Ferengi didn't want anyone else to make any latinum off it. So instead of putting it behind a pay wall that already had a lot of customers and other content, they put it behind their own paywall that has relatively few customers and content.

"The best deal is the one that makes the most profit."
-2nd Rule of Acquisition

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 11:31 Pigeon

That steak house went a little too far trying to recreate that on the range ambiance.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 08:56 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 02:50:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 00:59:
Anyone watch Star Trek Discovery?

Yep, seems like a good start, but no idea where it's going

I liked it, generally good writing and so far intrigued by the plot/promise of action. Though because of a football game going long I get the feeling parts of it may have been cut. It certainly ended abruptly, it went to commercial, and when “it” resumed “it” was NCIS. There was one event that seemed to be motivated by very flimsy rationale. [SPOILERS] When she goes EVA because they don’t have shuttle craft, or ones that are as maneuverable as a space suit, I got the sense it was only done for the purpose of being cool. Also a little worried the main character might be too much of a Mary Sue. More [SPOILERS] Also I’m assuming that was the last episode for the main character since she assaulted the captain and attempted to commandeer the ship. She’ll be thrown out the air lock for treason right before the Klingons kill everyone right?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 16:33 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:38:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:27:
How does that even happen, wouldn't you notice it didn't make the right noise or offer any resistance when you first open the drink? It's pretty easy to tell when a carbonated pressure vessel has been tampered with...
Who cares? Meth in soda = awesome!

7Up now with 2000% more up.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2017, 14:28 Pigeon

I felt Voyager got better after the first 2 seasons, seven of nine's appearance and whole on going struggle with the Borg vastly improved the series as a whole. Also Janeway's character got better, and so did the crew as a whole. I think it was more than just the Captain and crew evolving as people, I don't think the writers really knew how to write for them until 3 seasons in.

Enterprise got better too, but canon destroying BS was pretty consistent through out the series and they borrowed and ruined ideas from the other series. If you can ignore the it destroys cohesiveness between the series it's an okay show. If not you may try to ram your head through the TV when Brent Spiner shows up.

I think CBS's plan will ruin Discovery even if it is a good show. Unlike HBO CBS doesn't have the content. When I pick up HBO for the ~3 months for GoT I also know there'll be a host of other shows and movies to watch as well. There isn't much else on CBS I care to watch.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 21, 2017, 23:10 Pigeon

Welcome to the year of Everyone is Fucked. But don't worry our fearless leader is going to make everything great again, it's going to be the best ever I promise, we're all going to love it... just after he writes a scathing tweet to everyone who's ever said anything less than rapturous of him.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 21, 2017, 12:52 Pigeon

I was under the impression Microsoft hated CCleaner, hilarious they were running it on their own computers.  

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Bans Coming
4. Re: etc. Sep 21, 2017, 11:56 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 11:42:
deqer wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 11:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 10:17:
3 strikes and your out opening up your wallet.
LOL

So true.

How many people I've run into that have purchased a 2nd, a 3rd account, simply to test SR. So of course they'll buy another one when they get banned.

Funny thing is, Blizzard tracks their IP, MAC Address, everything.
Am I correct in the understanding that they don't do anything with that info and just ban accounts?

Yes, it's my understanding they only ban the account. I've heard it's a thing for highly ranked players to have other accounts so they can grief the lower ranks (among other reasons).

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 21, 2017, 08:16 Pigeon

LittleMe wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 07:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 22:17:
The monkeys are running the asylum.

Yes they are. Let's avow to not give them more power as they create even more crisis.

So there should be some rules, one might even call them regulations, on the kinds of security practices companies such as Equifax ought to employee so as to avoid sensitive data on millions of civilians from being leaked.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 19:34 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 17:02:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:01:

There is a difference between running around looking for crimes to stop and witnessing a violent crime and attempting to stop it. There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and others. Is it dangerous, yes, but so is rolling over and being a criminal's bitch. I'm not condemning people who don't help, but I think it's stupid to chastise those that do. I would rather not live in a society where you're only allowed to be a helpless victim to the unscrupulous.

Yeah, no. You should let the police handle it.

A woman pulled out her revolver at a Germantown supermarket Monday morning and fired two shots at a man who was robbing her, but she missed her target and instead hit a store security guard, police said

Um, yes.Sometimes they need help too

And from your posted link:
The woman called for store security and dialed 911, police said.

Prater and the woman exchanged words, and then he charged at her with a large stick and tried to hit her, police said.

Prater then threw a cup of hot coffee at the woman, and she drew her revolver and fired twice, authorities said.
So she was actively being physically assaulted when she fired her gun. It was very unfortunate someone else got hurt, but it sounds like she was being attacked by a crazy person and could very well have felt her life was in danger.

Bad shit happens, choices aren't always clear, and the outcome is never guaranteed. That is the reality of the world we live in. So do we punish victims for standing up to the wicked? Are they bad people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to do what they thought was right? Were those two men that got stabbed to death trying to defend those Muslim girls bad people? They got killed, they obviously did the wrong thing right? Perhaps they should have called the police and let that guy do whatever it is he was going to do to those girls. Those people didn't ask to be put in those situations, and I don't think it's right to judge them for how they acted. Help if you can help, run if you can run, piss your pants if you need to piss your pants.

For the record I'm not advocating people go looking for trouble, nor am I saying people should be obligated to help in dangerous circumstances. People should call the police if they can, and I'm sure as hell not advocating for scared paranoid dummies with guns culture.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 15:01 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 14:34:
Primalchrome wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:12:
I'm not sure where you live....but things aren't always that black and white. Taking out your cell and snapping a movie of Optimus Prime robbing the barista isn't really going to do any good. Most burglaries and robberies become nothing more than paperwork for local cops. They don't spend many resources doing anything about it....because it's low percentage, and they don't make any money doing it. So the deterrent factor starts disappearing in some areas. If the local citizenry begin refusing to allow it to happen...you start recapturing some sense of order.

While I can see your argument being somewhat valid(Brazil maybe), I surely don't want 60+ year old people trying to be vigilantes and fighting people in my city, particularly when where I live, EVERYONE has a gun. I literally do not want to be caught in the crossfire. People can't even drive correctly, I don't trust random people to be vigilante crime fighters, armed with a chair or a gun or otherwise.

Take a video/some pictures. You won't feel like quite as much of a hero, but odds of conviction will go way up with more evidence to back up the witness statements. Are the cops in every city/country going to do the work to track that robber down? Obviously not, but that doesn't give people a license to kill, excuse me, detain via multiple stabbings.

That said, the original article is a non story, it's not like the 59 year old guy is going to successfully be sued in court by the robber.

There is a difference between running around looking for crimes to stop and witnessing a violent crime and attempting to stop it. There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and others. Is it dangerous, yes, but so is rolling over and being a criminal's bitch. I'm not condemning people who don't help, but I think it's stupid to chastise those that do. I would rather not live in a society where you're only allowed to be a helpless victim to the unscrupulous.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2017, 15:40.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 13:09 Pigeon

Cregg Jerri, 58, was that customer, and he intervened in the attempted robbery by hitting Flores with a chair from behind. Flores pulled out a knife and fought back, with the two men wrestling over the weapon. Jerri sustained a stab wound to the neck, but was able to take the knife away, and stab Flores an apparent 17 times during the fight.

lores's mother, Pamela Chimienti, described Jerri's actions as "excessive force" and told KSEE that Flores planned to file a lawsuit.

"The guy, in my opinion, went from a Good Samaritan to a vigilante," Chimienti told the broadcast news station. "Stabbing somebody that many times, it doesn't take that many stab wounds to get somebody to succumb to you."

Mr. Owl, how many stab wounds does it take to get a criminal to succumb?

Let's find out, one, twooo, tthhreee...

Unless the guy was unconscious, or attempting to give up, I'm not buying it (And it sounds like this was anything but the case). When you're using violence or the threat of violence on others, complaints that the tables got turned are going to fall on deaf ears.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Firewatch dev Sep 19, 2017, 13:13 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 11:26:
What he did was dumb.

Review bombing is also dumb. Probably a bit less dumb, but c'mon.

It's the internet and I'm incensed, logic and reason have no place here!!! PewDiePie was/is dumb, the developers response was dumb, and the people losing their minds over it on both sides are dumb. It's a self sustaining cycle of stupidity.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 18, 2017, 13:04 Pigeon

I had a 285, it was a decent card for 1080 gaming, but was hampered by one glaring issue, 2GB of ram, even it's predecessor had 3GBs. They also touted Mantle support, but either the card didn't fully support it, or they never bothered to optimize the drivers for it. That was kind of a non-issue as mantle never really took off.

In its defense the launch price may have been $250, but it quickly became a sub $200 card, whereas the 970 was still in the $300-330 range. So on the actual market it was more of a ~75% difference than a %30 difference. Their first assessment is correct though, not much of a performance upgrade over the 280, and with less ram it was a downgrade in some instances.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 17, 2017, 10:35 Pigeon

Dev wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 14:53:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 13:37:
Bumpy wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 12:45:
Arts and music major with no IT or tech schooling, eh?

If true, that's a bit of a red flag I'd think. I see a bit more than wrist slapping about to go down.

I don't think that means anything. Loads of people come out with degrees they never use and go into other fields. I studied history and ended up working as a tech monkey and sales engineer in IT for over a decade. The rest of it's been hospitality. Neither of which my education would have applied to. With the exception of something really educationally specific like medicine or engineering anyone can learn anything on their own and go on to do that.

Their entire business is personal info, these guys should have some of the highest security spending and focus in the industry. They don't.

Other people's personal information they were never given permission to gather, that they sell to other companies, that the people who are the subject of the data must pay to access, and must pay if they want "some" control over that data. As the personal information they are holding is not that of a primary customer, their concern for it's security is secondary. Also, particularly with the current administration, they're unlikely to get into much trouble with the government, maybe a slap on the wrist fine.

As far as the CSO goes, she may very well have worked her way through the ranks of IT, r at least been heavily involved with. A few decades ago it wasn't completely uncommon for people to start working in IT because companies needed IT workers. It's also possible she was part of the "in" management group, and she was put in charge of security because all you need is management skills.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 13:11 Pigeon

Capella wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 12:49:
Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 11:55:
400 years from now, a giant nebula will move towards Federation space. It will be called C'ini.

I do wonder what happened to the Plutonium that was on board. Otherwise what a great space probe it was. Its discoveries will live on for eternity.

It should quickly melt like everything, not sure what the radioactive particles would/will do. I assume nothing, otherwise they would have flung the probe into deep-space.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 15, 2017, 13:02 Pigeon

I didn't realize how much crypto mining was effecting GPU prices until I noticed the card I'm using being advertised as on sale. It was ~$65 more than what I paid last year. A quick search revealed this was not just bad pricing. Sucks for anyone in the market for a new video card. Also it has not escaped my notice the new currency's root name is often used to describe something that is intangible and often fictional.  

News Comments > Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development
5. Re: Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development Sep 14, 2017, 13:13 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 11:59:
Toxic behavior in an online FPS? Now there's a first.

Well Overwatch is highly reliant on team play, so toxic behavior can absolutely destroy the game. I mean it's usually even easy to tell when the opposing team is toxic; they go from competitive with a few mistakes, to playing like garbage.

I've not played in several months, the slot machine like chance of getting a good (aka non-toxic) team wore on me.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 19:11 Pigeon

Jail time for Shkreli

Have fun Martin Biker Anxious

2412 Comments. 121 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo