Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2004 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2016, 12:58 Pigeon

There's a lot of discussion about vote selling on Ars in regards to the ballot selfie law, which I think are valid points. My concerns, however, are more for the privacy of other individuals voting than people choosing to share how they voted. If people are allowed to have their phones out taking pictures, it is much harder for the poll workers to monitor what people are taking pictures of than whether or not they have a phone out. Presumably it would be legal to take a picture of yourself, but not of other voters. At what point does the right to free speech get to infringe on other people's right to a secret ballot?

It should be noted I'm part of the "just put your fucking phone away" brigade so my views on this topic are probably biased

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Screenshot Policy Change?
4. Re: Steam Screenshot Policy Change? Nov 1, 2016, 20:46 Pigeon

Possibly just a move to protect themselves from legal action? I suppose if something like Colonial Marines happened again someone could argue Valve was complicit in false advertising if they allowed such images to be presented as screenshots. And/Or it could just be a customer relations/reputation move. They are ultimately responsible for how their site looks so they're just exercising that control to keep the brand's image polished.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2016, 22:17.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 1, 2016, 14:44 Pigeon

NetHead wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 12:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 11:39:
My ISP contract price is the same for.. 11 years now Although shit speeds

The thing is speeds should increase dramatically over 11 years for the same price, excluding inflation.

One thing I really hate is how ISPs, around here do anyway and probably common elsewhere, essentially charge more for lower or entry level connections compared to faster accounts, going by cost/mbps.

That's what My ISP does. Dropping my speed to half what it currently is, which would be fine with me, would only save me ~$8. A far cry from the $40 that would be half my bill; the lowest tier offerings are an even bigger rip-off. I understand incentivizing higher tier packages with "bulk" rates, but the way they carry it out seems more exploitative than competitive.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
23. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 16:36 Pigeon

Silgurdar wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 16:14:

5) Loading a saved game from the modded version to special edition worked fine. When I loaded it, I got a nice dialog telling me that the save game was using the above list of mods, but it worked fine. I guess purely visual mods do not change the save games that much. I also did try to use special edition's save game and load it to the modded, but that one did not work. I got dialog telling me that the save game was done with later version of Skyrim, which is true.

That's what I expected and good to know. As I said in my previous post I want to pick up where I left off a year+ ago and was hoping my visual/UI mods wouldn't cause the kinds of issues other mods would. I'm assuming if you save the game after opening it, it gets rid of the mod warning?

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 31, 2016, 15:33 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:58:
If you are going to review a newer cooler**, it sure would be nice to compare it to the original.

Too many review sites are just glorified unboxings. With tons of ads, few words and many pages. Gotta get that big $$$ somehow.

**or memory, ssd, mouse, keyboard etc...

I often find myself scratching my head at what reviewers use as comparison products. I understand smaller sites may not be able to cover the gamut of comparisons people are looking for, but I do find it a little puzzling some of the larger review sites, like HARDOCP, don't have a system that lets you directly compare benchmarks from their reviews (please correct me if I'm wrong). They seem to consistently use the same test systems, and even if there are occasional differences those can be noted in any comparison chart they create.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
15. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 13:46 Pigeon

I fired it up this weekend just to take a look. Distances look great can't say much for interiors and character models. Hopefully some of the nice mods from the previous version get ported over in a few weeks. SkyUI would be great.

I understand saves can transfer, but saves with a modded game may be difficult. Hopefully since my mods were UI and graphics related I can still transfer them after a little work; I'd like to pick up where I left off a year or more ago.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 14:14 Pigeon

Glad Mrs. Blue is feeling more or less fine. Hope everything continues to go well with the insurance company. I've never had to deal with that sort of thing, but I've heard plenty of nightmare stories, as well as plenty where everything worked out fine.

I got an MSI gaming X 1070 on Friday, it's giving a pretty substantial bump in performance over my R9 285 (I imagine 4x more RAM helps, among other things). Only problem is at 1080p 60Hz my current monitor doesn't let it perform at it's full potential. I want to get a 1440p gaming monitor, but boy those things are expensive. Maybe there will be some good Black Friday sales on them and I can nab one for a nice discount.

Also, grabbed Overwatch last week too. I've not really played a multi-player FPS in a long time, even though it used to be my bread and butter, and I've realized two things, 1. My Multiplayer FPS skills have greatly degraded, and 2. Matchmaking is annoying. I generally don't have any problems with the people I'm matched with/against, but having to wait for match-making between every match is annoying. Certainly a far cry from finding a good server and just playing for a few hours straight.

I've been mostly playing McCree or Mercy. I figure McCree will force me to work on my aim, and Mercy is similar to TF2 medic so I can play her relatively effectively.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2016, 15:00 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:27:
This guy had to go in to the hospital for a suspicious case of Meningitis-like symptoms. Took me right in to isolation after I described my symptoms to the outpatients nurse and the doc told me he might have to do a Lumbar Puncture which would be his third one in about ten years so he was about as thrilled as I was when he said it. Thankfully, the blood test came back ASAP and it's nothing more than 'some kind of viral infection'. Not a cold or flu, but something. I'm not craving flesh either so there's that.

I'm sure a nice long death-like nap followed by a good warm bowl of brain noodle soup will have you feeling right as rain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2016, 13:06 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 12:50:
Chocolate cures my UTI's

Crap, I should have sold my stock in Ocean Spray yesterday.

Now the only reason people have to drink that foul liquid is as a mixer with vodka.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2016, 14:11 Pigeon

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 13:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 27, 2016, 13:35:
On the poker hand, having watched all the WSOP Main Event coverage I think I can fairly say that Kassouf deserved that venom and probably more. I highly doubt anyone who played at his table for any length of time would disagree.

They claimed it was within the rules (barely) but he seems like a total asshole. But he was trying to rattle the other guy, and eventually did.

That's why I don't like a lot of sports, it's not enough to win, it's that they have to be dicks in the process.

Win through any means necessary; same reason so many pro-athletes use banned performance enhancing substances. I gotta say I cringed when he told him to check his privilege though. I would have rather seen him take him to task for thinking being obnoxious is a skill, and the only reason he's considered "good" at it is because the other players have a level of decorum and self respect.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2016, 13:50 Pigeon

To be clear, I think the most honest policy is to give the reviewers the time they need to play the game to the extent they can accurately report on the experience and post those reviews at least a few days before release; let the quality of their work speak for itself. That said I’m more or less fine with what Bethesda is doing. While I generally favor consumer protection, I also feel the consumer must take responsibility for their decisions given a reasonable situation, i.e. if there are no reviews and you pre-purchase based solely on developer hype, then that is your fault. Now if the developer promised something that is objectively not there, such as a level of graphical fidelity they advertised but did not deliver, then that is on them. I have no delusions that the bleating masses will actually change their purchasing behaviors, Bethesda and the like obviously don’t or they wouldn’t be doing this, but if they can’t wait a day or two after release to get a more comprehensive review of what is often a subjective matter, that is their problem. Now what I do feel is extra scummy on the part of Bethesda is giving out advanced copies to “friendly streamers” and somehow pretending that’s not a review when the streamer raves about what an awesome game it is a month before release. They’re trying to have their cake and eat it too, and I wish that had been a bigger part of the article rather than a two sentence paragraph. Basically it says whatever arguments they’re making about not giving lead times is complete crap because they’re breaking their own policy by letting people who they know will give a good review an entire month to talk about the product.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2016, 18:01 Pigeon

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 17:36:
I like and hate windows 10 with a passion..

Getting pretty conflicted these days with every iteration of windows.

That's probably because there's the part that was developed by software engineers to create a solid well oiled OS, and then the part that's been welded on by marketing and executives.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2016, 14:19 Pigeon

Two or so years ago I dumped almost an entire glass of iced tea into my case. It wasn't on the floor, but it was lower than my table and when I accidentally knocked my glass over it all went into the ventilation holes on top of my case. After a few seconds for my brain to process WTF I had just done I immediately yanked the power plug. Pulled everything apart cleaned it as best I could, waited 12 hours to make sure everything was dry reassembled, powered it up and everything was fine. I'm going to go with mostly dumb luck on that one; as far as I can tell nothing got into the PSU or any other place where it could easily cause a short.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2016, 21:12 Pigeon

My favorite thing about Morrowind is you could make you character absolutely godly by exploiting potions to make ridiculous over powered potions which could then be used to make some insane enchantments. I remember making a flame enchanted daedric dai katana (or some sort of big sword) that would wipe out a village in one swing, as I bound across the entire continent in a single leap. Actually it may have been my sword that destroyed Vvanderfell, not the volcano

Okay it just killed nearly everything in one hit, but I stand by my comment about jumping across the continent in one leap.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2016, 16:30 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 14:42:
Samsung doesn’t want to pay for fire damage from the Galaxy Note 7.

And I don't want to pay for the guy's car I clipped pulling out of the parking lot the other day. But that's not how the world works.

This is already a fucking PR nightmare. Don't make it worse. Your phone caused damage to these folks' property. Pay up, and you'll come out looking good. It's a small price to pay.

Seriously, how does Samsung not get this?

I think you're forgetting that as a corporation, Samsung has all the rights of a citizen, but none of the responsibility.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2016, 08:15 Pigeon

sauron wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 22:11:
BobBob wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 17:06:
What are your predictions on what will transpire in tonight's presidential debate?

My prediction is that most of America is so disgusted at the tone of this election that they just want it to end, and won't bother watching.

I do not think I have ever been as unimpressed by any pair of candidates as has been the case in this election. And I watched Shelob vs. Gollum in -1821, I have to admit.

Screw the election. Either Sauron or Michell Obama for president.

Mr. Sauron I'm tired of filthy hobbitses stealzing our precious. What would you, as president, do to stop this?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 18:12 Pigeon

BobBob wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 17:06:
What are your predictions on what will transpire in tonight's presidential debate?

Trump will continue to be a walking case study on psychological projection, say things that are blatantly false, and be extremely offensive to women and minorities while saying nobody has done more for them than he has... tremendous.

Hillary will be as charming and relatable as a parking meter. She'll trot out the story of some poor schmuck as the reason we need XYandZ and if we're lucky she'll try out a clever new one liner to describe trump's policies. She'll acknowledge she made a mistake with the emails, while completely avoiding intent of such questions. Mostly she'll just let Trump blow holes in his own campaign.

So I think it'll pretty much go like the last two.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 14:34 Pigeon

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 14:08:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 14:06:
Retired wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 11:23:
Watched the first 5 Luke Cage eps. Diggin it.

I enjoyed it, buut damn was it slow to build up for me.

That's been my gripe as well. I think I'm about 6 episodes in, and it's finally starting to pickup speed. I was expecting something a little closer to Daredevil, with ass beatings right off the bat.

Also, the musical guest of the week routine is getting a little old...

I like the show, I just feel things could have been executed a little better. Pacing is an issue for sure, but I feel like they struggle with keeping things threatening enough given his powers. Spoilers: Even when Diamondback shoots him with the magic alien bullet and the whole ensuing fight scene. Cage should have been running for his life, but instead he goes after him and either the gun malfunctions at a critical moment or Diamondback misses an easy shot. And even in his pain/weakened state Cage should have been able to knock Diamondback out with one hit when he got his hands on him. Anyways As I said I like it, but there's a few things that keep me from loving it.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 09:41 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2016, 02:32:
Today’s genital warts came from trysts between Neanderthals and early humans.

We humans never could keep it in our pants.

I imagine that was difficult to do before pants were invented.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2016, 14:09 Pigeon

That pumpkin really is breathtaking.  

2004 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo