Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1870 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 26, 2016, 08:35 Pigeon

It sounds like they didn't U-turn so much as add a second notification that does the same thing the previous notification did, wherein closing the dialogue box means committing to the upgrade. Maybe the article isn't clear enough or the coffee hasn't made its way to my brain yet, but I don't see how this change is a whole lot more different.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 25, 2016, 16:07 Pigeon

Verno wrote on May 25, 2016, 14:27:
That fucking pop up window is shameful. I like Windows 10 as a product but god damn that is some despicable shit.

My feelings exactly. I like Windows 10, but I upgraded by choice. Tricking people into doing something they have repeatedly declined to do is a disgusting tactic. I hope they get sued for this, I can't help but think this has/will cost individuals time and money to fix when it upgrades without them wanting to.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Windows 10 May 25, 2016, 11:41 Pigeon

Shok wrote on May 25, 2016, 11:04:
Ok now this auto update shit is affecting me since my mother-in-law apparently got the win10 update auto installed and now she wants it back to win7. I probably should have installed the gwx tool on her machine to prevent that from happening but didn't think to. Hopefully it's less than 30 days...

Had someone at work ask me yesterday if they can reverse the upgrade after having 10 stealth installed recently. Apparently their computer is slow as shit now.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Salt May 22, 2016, 21:34 Pigeon

Not completely surprising, salt plays an important role in our body chemistry. That said most people intake way more than is needed, particularly if they're eating any processed foods. I suppose it's something to keep in mind for people going for a misguided extreme low salt diet. For everyone else I suggest you take the findings.... Cool with a grain of salt.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 22, 2016, 17:03 Pigeon

My AMD 285 is pretty good for most games at 1080p, but I want to upgrade to a good 2k 144Hz monitor. Hoping a 1070 fits the bill. Like y'all I'm in no hurry, waiting for some good 3rd party boards and the masses to sort out if there's any chicanery like with the 970s.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 21, 2016, 14:48 Pigeon

I wonder how often FOX (and other media companies) falsely flag videos like this. Youtube should suspend automatic take downs for companies that are too indiscriminate; its the only way a company like FOX would bother refining their copyright search software, or at least make it less aggressive. I'm sure it's easier/cheaper for youtube to just take down whatever FOX says and place the burden of proof on the users.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2016, 18:16 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on May 20, 2016, 17:24:
Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2016, 15:58:
Because multi-boxing still requires a person to issue commands character, while a bot is wholly automated. Somewhat precarious logic IMO, but from another perspective a multi-boxxer must be present "playing" the game, while a botter can have their character running 24/7 without them even needing to be in the same room, city or country as the game.

It's kind of weird. On one hand they define botting as "automation of any action, not just character movement. If a program is pressing keys for you, you're breaking the ToS" but in order for multi-boxing to function you need third party software so that your keystrokes are broadcast across your open clients. I've multi-boxed when I used an RAF on myself for the mount and to power level but never got in to problems so maybe since it's still only one key for one action makes it a non-issue.

Meanwhile, if you use G-Keys on a Logitech keyboard which can perform several keystrokes with one press or timing macros then you can get hit with a ban for botting.

The line does indeed seem quite blurry. I suppose that's why people suggest it's all about the money. Somebody multi-boxes they need to be paying for multiple accounts, while botting only requires one. I personally don't like the concept of multi-boxing (it really depends on how its carried out), but I find botting pretty indefensible.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2016, 17:17 Pigeon

Quboid wrote on May 20, 2016, 14:26:
Pigeon wrote on May 20, 2016, 10:53:
Maybe it's in the article and I didn't see it, but I get the feeling there are a lot more men raters in general, which could heavily skew the results.

They do specify exactly this:
Seventy percent of IMDb TV show raters are men, according to my analysis, and that results in shows with predominantly female audiences getting screwed.

Absolutely nothing in the article accuses men of being inherently sexist or compares giving a bad review to rape, despite what the poor little victims in this thread are saying. It's not saying that a man leaving a bad review on film he didn't like is sabotage.

The article basically says that more reviewers are men than women and that some reviewers are sexist. Are either of those incorrect?

People are just reacting/overreacting to the usage of sabotage in the title, which has insidious connotations. The data presented in the article doesn't really address why, only what is. I'd suggest the large disparity in (n) between genders warrants a more robust statistical method than simply comparing averages if they want to come to any conclusion that has weight.

jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2016, 14:45:
Drayth wrote on May 20, 2016, 11:02:
A feminist acquaintance of mine went and saw The Expendables with her husband and hated it. If she were to give it a rating on imdb, I'm pretty sure it would have been somewhere in the 1 to 3 ballpark.

Yes but would she bother? I think that Pigeon is on to something, that men and women might use online rating systems differently. I bet men are more likely to use and participate in online systems and women use them too but also use other ways of assessing what to watch like social media and watercooler chat.

There's actually a footnote in the article pointing to some data suggesting despite men and women using the internet at roughly the same levels men are more likely to participate in discussions.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 20, 2016, 15:58 Pigeon

ZeroPike1 wrote on May 20, 2016, 15:22:
I might be confusing this with Boxer's. Those weirdo's that have 5 accounts running on the same PC and are all tied together with scripts. Meaning they basically are nearly unstoppable rolling death squads.

If that's the case then I'm more then happy to takes blizz's side. But they often stated that its ok, and why not you got one guy paying 4X more to play the same game per month. Even if he buys coins for playtime.

But if its just the typical term botter. people who let scripts run there chars completely while they alt-tab and play something else, or whatever it is they do.

I dunno, if Botter's are not allowed why are boxer's then? To me there both on the edge of the rules. And both are going against the idea that one person = one char(logged in at a time). Like normal people have. They really look like they have unfair advantages. But Blizz will do whatever they want anyways.

Because multi-boxing still requires a person to issue commands character, while a bot is wholly automated. Somewhat precarious logic IMO, but from another perspective a multi-boxxer must be present "playing" the game, while a botter can have their character running 24/7 without them even needing to be in the same room, city or country as the game.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 11:40 Pigeon

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2016, 11:24:
Received my crossover ballot for Democratic. Funny how Reoublicans don't allow Indepedents to vote - feels like a statement: "non-cult members are excluded".

So I'm flipping a coin...

Bernie or Hillary?

Which one can beat Khrushchev?

According to realclear Sanders polls better vs. Trump than Hillary. This has been one bizarre election season though, and as frightening a thought as it is Trump becoming president wouldn't completely surprise me.

1. Re: Wotters May 20, 2016, 11:21 Pigeon

Absolutely asinine, but not surprising considering the group of people it's coming from.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2016, 10:53 Pigeon

Maybe it's in the article and I didn't see it, but I get the feeling there are a lot more men raters in general, which could heavily skew the results. Some of the things they mention seem to hint at a large disparity between total potential male raters and female raters such as:
"The 25th-most-male program has 94 percent of its ratings from men. The 25th-most-female show has only 75 percent of its ratings from women."
While one, like the author, could draw the conclusion that men are more likely to seek out shows not targeted to them and leave bad reviews (aka sabotaging the review), it is just as likely, or maybe more so, if there is just a much larger pool of male reviewers the likelihood of a male reviewing a show goes up. The premise isn't necessarily wrong, but the evidence is lacking, or in video game speak 'you must construct additional pylons.' I suppose, 'men are less likely to positively rate shows aimed at women', isn't as catchy a headline as suggesting they sabotage the ratings.

News Comments > King's Quest Episode One Free
11. Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 18:20 Pigeon

Graham wrote on May 18, 2016, 17:50:
Bundy wrote on May 18, 2016, 14:24:
The first episode was good but the second wasn't. But both had puzzles that made more sense than KQ5. Which, for nostalga reasons, is my favorite of the series, but had really weird solutions to everything. How do you defeat a Yeti? Well with a pie of course!

With a pie. That you had the option to eat earlier in the game leaving you unable to defeat the Yeti, completely blocking your advancement. With no other way to defeat it.

I loved King's Quest (really related with King Graham for some reason) but that moment alone is in my top ten of worst game design decisions ever.

Bad game design, but marketing genius. How else was Sierra supposed to get you to buy their hint book with secret text revealing marker?

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2016, 12:55 Pigeon

I have my CPU and GPU overclocked, but not to an extreme amount. Just added a few more fans yesterday to help things keep a little cooler. My GPU would hit 74C under load, which isn't awful, but I wanted it running a little cooler. I was hoping things would be a bit quieter, but my CPU fan seems to be the main culprit there.

RedEye9 wrote on May 18, 2016, 11:56:
Overclocking is a skill I never mastered not counting taking a 300a Celeron to a rock stable 450 MHz, no skill needed for that oc.

Was that the one where you could overclock it using a pencil?

News Comments > King's Quest Episode One Free
4. Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 12:42 Pigeon

Got this free on PSN+ it was enjoyable, but I think I'll wait till its finished and on sale before I pick anymore of the series up. Never cared for the whole episodic game model.

Jagacademy wrote on May 18, 2016, 11:39:
I tried to play through some of the early ones for nostalgia, before realizing just how absurd they were. Things you had to do to proceed made no sense whatsoever. *Pour dirt onto side of building, mix with fork, open portal*.

Are the new ones logical and make sense?

Well the series is supposed to be humorous so solutions to the puzzles are often solved by thinking outside the box, but nothing struck me as overtly obscure like the ones in the original text parser games.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2016, 11:32 Pigeon

I've got some new fans coming in today, hoping to increase cooling, decrease noise and decrease the amount of dust getting into my case. The latter two I'm still pondering the best way to go about this. My case has a lot of holes, the top is basically one big vent and there's another large portion on the side. Nylon stocking have been mentioned as a good DYI filter, but not sure how I'd implement this without pulling an extra large pair over it like it's about to rob a Kwik-E-Mart. I tried dumping iced-tea down the top vents once, but then I read on the internet that's not how you liquid cool(keeps me cool though). I've got paper blocking the excess holes now to see how much, if any, difference they make with cooling. If they seem to make little to no difference I can go with something a little more padded like felt, which may help reduce noise a bit. I've seen some materials online that are marketed for that purpose, but I'm stubbornly looking for something I can just pick up at a store.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 16, 2016, 21:56 Pigeon

Thank you former FCC chairman turned cable lobbyist Michael Powell. People should be overjoyed you graciously only charge them $10 every month, in addition to the advertised price of the service, for a mandatory rental. I don't know many other industries that could get away with that kind of shit. If you rented a car and then got charged an additional rental fee for the keys I'm sure the FTC would be all over that shit. For what it's worth I'm sure the French Aristocracy felt they hadn't provoked anyone back in 1789 either.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2016, 14:22 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2016, 13:45:
Pigeon wrote on May 13, 2016, 10:28:
Come on Russia, even Iran does a better job of faking images for propaganda.

"We know where the WMDs are." - Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell/et al.

That ring a bell?

Next time I make a quick quip about government propaganda I'll be sure to disparage all major governments equally.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2016, 10:28 Pigeon

Come on Russia, even Iran does a better job of faking images for propaganda.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster Released
1. Re: FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster Released May 12, 2016, 19:39 Pigeon

After announcing FFIX and then months of the official release date being 'sometime early 2016', they just drop X and X-2 HD on us. Keeping us on our toes I guess. I'll stick this on my wishlist and wait for a good sale.  

1870 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo