Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2310 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2017, 15:49 Pigeon

MeanJim wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 14:47:
I bought an Acer 1440p 144Hz IPS display a couple of weeks ago. I'd hadn't planned to buy a new monitor so soon, but a sudden crap out forced me to. If you got the ASUS I think you got, it has the same panel that the Acer I bought has. Yes the back light bleed is there if you look for it, but it's not noticeable when gaming or watching movies.

Overall I like the monitor, but I kind of wish I'd gone with a cheaper 24" 1080p and waited to "upgrade" later.

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 13:16:
There are some HDR models coming to smaller screen sizes soon but they're going to be exorbitantly priced. You made a good choice, I have a monitor with the same panel from Acer, its the bees knees.

Yeah, Fryís had it on sale for $699, which is about as low as Iíve seen it go on sale for. Actually I purchased it at Micro Center using price matching since they had them in stock and on display (displaying something worth displaying). It was a chunk of change, but Iím happy with it, and donít foresee needing a new monitor for many years to come; plus my 1070 works comfortably at that resolution.

Pretty much what Iíve heard between the Acer and Asus is, buy whichever is cheaper at the moment. Funnily enough the Acer is $680 this week, I missed out on saving an additional $20 noooo

As far as the new models with HDR, I think they're also 4k. Which while future proofing a bit more wouldn't be good with my current card. And I don't plan on upgrading it for, at the very least, another year, if not 2 or 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 11:04 Pigeon

Iíve not had to deal with it myself, but it sounds like itís tough to get good value out of a house. Iíve heard of a lot of people putting a lot of expensive work into their homes to get ready for selling only to have to drop the price because other homes in the area, even if they arenít as nice, are going for less. It often sounds like a lose Ė lose situation. I think thatís why a lot of people opt for a Ďgood enoughí DIY or low cost contractor job. I know when my folks were looking at places theyíd tell me a lot of them would tout new floors, bathroom remodel , etc., but when theyíd look, despite the materials being new, the craftsmenís ship left something to be desired. Anyways good luck navigating all of that, Iím sure youíll be happy when itís all over.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2017, 10:46 Pigeon

Picked up an Asus 27" 1440p IPS over the memorial day weekend. Had been hoping to see improved versions with HDR and better back light bleed control coming out, but the manufactures seem to be focused on curved screens and 35" monstrosities. Speaking of back light bled, it's there, but I only notice it when staring at a black screen, which has only occurred when I purposely created a black screen to look for bleeding. I can't say it's made me a better FPS player, but at least some of those, 'how the fuck did they see me' moments are understandable now. Turns out, bigger screen + better colors and light levels = easier to distinguish targets.  

News Comments > Overwatch Horizon Lunar Colony Map on the PTR
1. Re: Overwatch Horizon Lunar Colony Map on the PTR Jun 1, 2017, 10:12 Pigeon

It helps the ultimate, but not the McCree buff I was hoping to see. Compared to the other offensive heroes he's the least mobile, has the least survivability, and requires the most amount of mechanical skill. IMO they should increase the stun duration, or do something with his roll to give him more mobility or survivability.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 31, 2017, 21:17 Pigeon

Real Player! Quick, kill it with fire before it spreads again!!!!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 31, 2017, 13:34 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2017, 10:55:
Why not just ban carry-ons and be done with it. Then you don't have to pretend the useless TSA is actually required for anything anymore.

I'm just waiting for them to demand everyone has to change into a one size fits all grey onesie before entering the airport; after the cavity check of course.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 11:44 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 31, 2017, 11:04:
Biker dropped the national speed limit in a blink of an eye.
Motorcyclists are invisible, at least in the states but it also looks that way in Europe...

I don't disagree, but dude was going ~150mph while everyone else was doing around 70. So it's hard to be surprised when people act like you came out of nowhere when you're going twice as fast as everyone else.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2017, 10:05 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2017, 22:06:
Pigeon wrote on May 28, 2017, 21:19:
Pretty sure you can still run one stick at a time, you just won't get dual channel performance, which doesn't matter since you're just testing the memory. Also try reseating the CPU, I've had at least one mystery not posting to bios problem solved by that.

It sounds like you've gotten a lot of use out of that rig, so at this point an upgrade wouldn't be the worst thing. Though I do understand not liking the unexpected expense.

Okay, got it running on one stick of RAM. Thanks everyone.

Looks like I'll be retro gaming for a while with only 4GB of slow RAM.

Will have to figure out if I want to upgrade mboard, CPU, and RAM; or just order new RAM.

Want to build a rig for VR at some point, but was hoping to get away with replacing my GTX 670 with a 1070 or 1080 while keeping my current CPU, mem, and mboard..

Glad it worked. You could update everything but the video card, and then grab a video card in the next refresh, which for nVidia might be Q3 of this year and for AMD whenever the hell they release Vega (soon TM). You'll be on the front of the GPU refresh cycle; which is by far the most important thing for a gaming rig. Though keeping the 670 will produce very anti-climactic results for any new rig you build, at least until it's replaced.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 21:19 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2017, 21:04:
Pigeon wrote on May 28, 2017, 20:41:
jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2017, 20:29:
RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2017, 16:17:
jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2017, 15:32:
Also gaming PC died suddenly yesterday. Still performing surgery.
Does that mean it's upgrade time?

I think it might be. Mboard is giving me a memory error (boot LED is red for mem), but not sure I want to spend $150 on new memory for a five year old machine. Also would hate to buy the mem, only to discover it didn't solve the problem, and the mboard was giving me a false positive. Wall

Start trying your memory sticks one by one (or two by two depending on how many stick you have), it would be odd for all of them to go bad at once. Also try different slot combos. And if you've tried everything and nothing works, douse it with lighter fluid, strike a match and claim the insurance money. Good luck, hardware problems can be very frustrating, specially when you don't have a lot of spare parts to test with.

It's dual channel, and I only have two. I like the idea of trying a different set of slots. Will try that. Thanks.

Pretty sure you can still run one stick at a time, you just won't get dual channel performance, which doesn't matter since you're just testing the memory. Also try reseating the CPU, I've had at least one mystery not posting to bios problem solved by that.

It sounds like you've gotten a lot of use out of that rig, so at this point an upgrade wouldn't be the worst thing. Though I do understand not liking the unexpected expense.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 20:41 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2017, 20:29:
RedEye9 wrote on May 28, 2017, 16:17:
jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2017, 15:32:
Also gaming PC died suddenly yesterday. Still performing surgery.
Does that mean it's upgrade time?

I think it might be. Mboard is giving me a memory error (boot LED is red for mem), but not sure I want to spend $150 on new memory for a five year old machine. Also would hate to buy the mem, only to discover it didn't solve the problem, and the mboard was giving me a false positive. Wall

Start trying your memory sticks one by one (or two by two depending on how many stick you have), it would be odd for all of them to go bad at once. Also try different slot combos. And if you've tried everything and nothing works, douse it with lighter fluid, strike a match and claim the insurance money. Good luck, hardware problems can be very frustrating, specially when you don't have a lot of spare parts to test with.

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 13:05 Pigeon

Cooked up a pork chop yesterday. Gotta say I'm all for using beer as a marinade, at least for pork chops, cause it turned out quite juicy, tender, and flavorful. As a bonus I used a little bit to deglaze the pan for a really good sauce.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 28, 2017, 12:57 Pigeon

I remember when Circuit City did their liquidation sale, the company that was running it jacked up the "normal" price so much even 50-70% off sale prices were still a good bit more than you could find in a regular sale. It worked though, cause people were in there buying stuff like it was free. I'm curious if something similar is going on with RadioShack, just not curious enough to actually go find out.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 27, 2017, 15:22 Pigeon

Nothing like describing a product the same way you would describe the most incidious kind of fart. I can only assume it runs off beans and broccoli, with the 3 fans for faster scent dispersion.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2017, 11:22 Pigeon

He should start by body slamming the first reporter he sees; it seems to be an effective strategy.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2017, 16:47 Pigeon

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 24, 2017, 13:43:
Cutter wrote on May 24, 2017, 09:44:
That Chevy article is weird. Whole thing - article included - sounds off. But yeah, those ads are asinine, 'Did you know Chevy won yet another paid award for best cup holders!?!?!?!'

What comes to mind when you think of Chevy? Garbage. Same for all domestic vehicles.

The parody "Real people" ads from chevy are hilarious. The guy who does it gets it spot on. As for the "Fake" awards for JD Power and associates, it's garbage.

It's just social psychology 101; people tend to do what they think they're expected to do, especially if they feel ingratiated. My favorite part was this:
He did this magic trick of making it seem like you were hurting his feelings if you said anything bad about Chevy. You didnít want to see this guy stop smiling.
He pretty much admits he just wants to please the guy. I do wonder how they picked people and if they had groups they rejected because someone wasn't enthusiastic enough.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 24, 2017, 11:39 Pigeon

Roughing up reporters, allowing bot comments, and refusing to show proof of a DDoS attack they're claiming. The only thing that's transparent is that they don't give a fuck about what people, people that aren't corporations, think.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 24, 2017, 08:18 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2017, 23:30:
Sweeeet. Now if I could just convince the wife to let me get one.

It's only $1100, which is like $900 cheaper than is it were $2000; what a steal! Also you'll need to get dual 1080ti's so as not to waste that monitor's potential. It'll only making your gaming more efficient, which means you'll have more time to spend with her! See how could she not let you buy it?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 22, 2017, 13:30 Pigeon

They will be disregarded, like all the rest of the comments, because they donít care and their minds have already been boughtmade up.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2017, 12:00 Pigeon

Agent-Zero wrote on May 22, 2017, 11:10:
Experts say that her white dress might have looked like fish. Sea Lions get fed from the dock all the time. More info here:

pretty sure thats not the case since the sea lion straight up growls at her and bares his teeth right before he turns around and comes back up to snatch her in

As an expert in sea lion behaviorology I can confidently say that sea lion is a jerk. As you can easily witness he went up and told the girl she would be more comfortable if she had a seat on the railing, only to drag her into the water moments later; what a jerk.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 14:38 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2017, 13:21:
RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:48:
Audeze makes $2,495 earbuds only a audiophile fool could love.

Super cheezy name for a super expensive product.

Pretty sure it's Italian for a douche.

2310 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo