Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2271 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 3, 2017, 16:14 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 3, 2017, 15:15:
Haven't had cable TV for 12 years at least. Missed some live sports but otherwise I was glad to get rid of it.

Itís probably been about 10 years for me, I really donít miss it. When I had it I found I really didnít watch much TV, and I usually missed things I would want to watch because I was busy doing something else. The current fragmentation and inconsistency of the streaming market is a bit annoying at times, but I far prefer that to cable TV. At least with the subscription models I can pick up a services for a month or two to watch what I want then drop it when Iím done.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 2, 2017, 20:24 Pigeon

Well it's got the word freedom in the title, so you know it's going to fuck over the average citizen.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2017, 14:17 Pigeon

Good luck with the new contractor. Having any work (home, or mechanical) done by professionals always makes me a bit uneasy. I feel like it should be assumed that by having a professional do the work I:

• should have a reasonable expectation that other things are not broken or damaged in the process.

• should expect the quality of workmanship to be higher than what I could do with the same equipment and a 5 minute youtube tutorial.

• Sadly this is often not the case.

The cat story reminds me that Iíve actually had the cops called on me for having a stick before. I was probably 12 or 13 and my friend and I were playing around a bridge, at some point we had picked up some sticks. Apparently someone in a nearby house in desperate need of better set of glasses decided we had rifles and called the cops. So later we notice a cop and couple of the volunteer fire guys sneaking around and we were like Ďwhat are yíall doingí and they started barking about where the gun was. It took a bit to convince them there was never a gun and we had only picked up a stick at some point. We ended up with a stern lecture about not playing with sticks because Ďreasonsí, and were told not to hang around there anymore (both pieces of advice we ignored). There was no intense stand off or anything, and this was long long before all the stories of cops shooting unarmed kids; so we were only scared weíd get in trouble because someone decided we were doing something wrong. The only lesson I learned that day was that people can be fucking dumb, even those you expect would know better.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
    3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 2, 2017, 08:56 Pigeon

Redmask wrote on May 2, 2017, 06:56:
    GSync is superior which is part of why people pay a premium for it. It's an also LG, that's why the price is so much better. Even their OLED TV sets have major problems with motion processing and their bootloop issues on their phones is well known. If you want to see even more serious trash then check out their appliances. They make good panels but the actual processing and build quality matters too. Buy something that uses an LG panel but isn't subject to the rest of their shitty supply chain. You get what you pay for. Go ahead and buy an LG, I'll see you on here in a year when its defective and LG tells you to piss off.

Even when you make something closer to an apples to apples comparison like an Asus 2k IPS screen that comes in freesync or gsync it's still a ~250$ difference.

News Comments > Hearthstone Celebrates 70 Million Players
    9. Re: Hearthstone Celebrates 70 Million Players May 2, 2017, 08:28 Pigeon

VaranDragon wrote on May 2, 2017, 02:52:
    I had quite a lot of fun with HS on launch. After the third or so expansion it got a serious case of "Blizzardittis" and it turned from a game of skill, into a game of chasing the meta. I quit, and haven't looked back.

Yeah it was fun at first, but once I hit the pay wall the frustration set in. My F2P deck just couldn't compete with the premades.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
    1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 1, 2017, 20:37 Pigeon

And still costs over $100 less than a gsync screen almost half it's size. I know there's more to it than that, but damn it's hard not to notice the massive disparity in prices.  

1. No subject Apr 27, 2017, 20:22 Pigeon

The press release doesn't say which freedoms ordinary users of the Internet lost because of net neutrality rules.

SPOLIERS: It's the freedom to have a corporation decide which content it wants you to consume.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2017, 13:34 Pigeon

While I canít disagree that credit cards can be scams, I feel like that piece was excusing people for lacking self-control. Iíve always felt there was a pretty simple concept behind keeping debt free with a credit card; if you canít afford to buy something why would you decide to buy it anyways and then pay more for it later? You canít afford it, how is paying more for it a reasonable solution? I understand shit happens sometimes, expenses due to accidents, medical, etc., but I feel so many people take a, Ďfuckit I want it now and will deal with the finances laterí approach. Sorry, donít have much pity for people who get hit with the credit card Ďscamí that way; particularly if they refuse to acknowledge it was their behaviors that caused the problem in the first place.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 26, 2017, 22:56 Pigeon

Dammit why does Alexa keep ordering a bow-flex machine and treadmill.  

News Comments > Into the Black
    1. Re: Into the Black Apr 25, 2017, 22:16 Pigeon

Wonder where the nearest Target is from there. I've got a feeling he's going to need some new undies, pants, and upholstery cleaner. On the plus side now we all know how to say 'Fuck off' in lionese.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2017, 22:47.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored
    7. Re: Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored Apr 25, 2017, 11:35 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 10:55:
    This time there will be 3 God-Mode Aliens glued to you. joy

If they at least let you injure it so it would fuck off for awhile that would be nice. There were several times where I'd hit it with a molotov and it'd scamper up a vent only to pop back down almost immediately. The worst part is, when you basically have unfettered access to the station, so you can get into all the areas you couldn't before, the alien encounters are at the worst.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Crusade First Turn
    4. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Crusade First Turn Apr 24, 2017, 22:21 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 20:47:
    Crazy Eddie has got deals deals DEALS!!! Come on down!

That being said, I think that this marketing serves it's purpose. I played a lot of GC2 but skipped III bc it sounded like more of the same. This expansion has me interested again. Also Stardock needs to up its game with games like Stellaris pushing the envelope.

I enjoyed GC3 but you weren't wrong about it being more of the same, but with a prettier map. Also I never had a moment where I was surprised the sun wasn't up yet only to realize it had just gone down, like I did with GC2.

News Comments > etc.
    10. Re: etc. Apr 24, 2017, 08:54 Pigeon

Internet gaming disorder requires some significant social problems to result for diagnosis, like losing your job, friends etc. They say used the APA's criteria, but I have to wonder how loose they were in applying those criteria that they got 1% of their population to fit that diagnosis. Video game addiction is what is called a process addiction, and there are a lot of other normal every day activities that can fit under that category. It is more accurate to say people can become addicted to video games, rather than video games are addictive. The vast majority of people play them without issue, just as the vast majority of people shop without issue. I will also put out there that in the cases where people do have an actual problem, there is probably something else going on that should be the primary focus of treatment.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
    2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2017, 16:04 Pigeon

I think the problem is fan-subbing is so closely linked to illegal distribution it's difficult to separate one from the other. This is the wrong way to look at it IMO, as is already blatantly stated, illegal distribution is *gasp* already illegal. Of course there was a fair bit of corporate protective language in there such as, 'unfair competition'. Which is hilarious because the only reason there are fan-subs is because there aren't subs in whatever language in the first place.  

News Comments > Into the Black
    2. Re: Into the Black Apr 21, 2017, 08:15 Pigeon

I wonder if I can get one those from my Dr. explaining why it is vital for my health to be allowed to play video-games at work.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2017, 14:36 Pigeon

I'll believe he's done something when he actually does something, and I don't mean a vague executive order that's the equivalent of 'we're looking into it.'  

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2017, 09:46 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 09:01:
    MeanJim wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 23:00:
    Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 22:11:
    Well, technically he's right. If the internet went out forever tomorrow people would survive.

You can say that about anything, electricity, cars, phones, credit cards etc., but let me see you try and live without them.

I've done so. Point in fact a good 1/4 to 1/2 the population on this planet still does so. Yes, I'm not arguing that it makes life a lot easier, simply that it isn't a necessity.
    Let's be clear, this is about functioning in modern society. Douche nozzle congressman is trying to pretend not having internet access some how doesn't put people at a major disadvantage. And then using that fallacious reasoning to explain why it's okay for ISPs to sell your private information.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    11. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 18, 2017, 08:28 Pigeon

Orogogus wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 07:16:
    jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 04:36:
    And yet, the rise of video games has correlated with the lowest loss of life from war in the history of mankind. I'm not going to claim causation, as it's a complex, multifaceted issue, but there's no evidence that playing violent video games leads to actual violence in even the tiniest fraction of individuals.

That's a weird statistic to pull out. I don't think even anti-video game crusaders are going to claim that video games lead to war.

Nope it's clear video-games = less war. Just look at the places with lots of strife, not as many video-games there are there. Instead of tomahawks and MOABs we could drop copies of Witcher 3 and Xbones on middle easterners. And if Trump abstained from going to Mar-a-Lago for a few weeks we could use the savings to pay for the cost.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 17, 2017, 13:51 Pigeon

It's almost as though our supreme court decided bribery of politicians is free speech.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2017, 14:57 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 14:17:
    What's the point of another Labyrinth without Bowie?

A quick cash grab using the nostalgia factor of a cult classic and recent death of a beloved musician.

2271 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo