Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1996 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: PS4 Pro shitting the bed Nov 14, 2016, 14:10 Pigeon

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 13:50:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 11:06:
Man, I wonder what would cause that...

Online Support representative KingGobbo admitted the issue’s existence and suggested a convoluted temporary fix involving switching the console into its Safe mode and changing its digital rights management setting from HDCP 2.2 to 1.4.

Oh, of course.

Yup, DRM, fucking over paying customers since, forever... but hey it stops pirates right?

Absolutely, it's just not very effective against buccaneers, marauders, corsairs or freebooters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 19:32 Pigeon

I was going to say this could be a customer positive change that could also benefit AT&T if implemented properly, but reading the article it seems more likely that no, that probably will not be happening:

Stream Saver is similar to a T-Mobile system that reduces video quality. On T-Mobile's older plans with monthly data limits, customers can turn the video throttling on or off without it affecting their bills. But on T-Mobile's new "unlimited" plans, unlocking HD video costs extra. Even then, customers can only switch HD video on for 24 hours at a time.

News Comments > Play Overwatch for Free Next Weekend
12. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Next Weekend Nov 10, 2016, 13:07 Pigeon

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 12:48:
theglaze wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 11:11:
I don't think Overwatch has been on an official sale since it launched...

When was the last time you saw a Blizzard game on sale?

It happens, usually around Christmas and it's not a particularly big discount and usually not for new games. It's certainly not steam where it's almost guaranteed to go on some sort of sale a few months after release.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 13:25 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:59:
Wallshadows wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:49:
Good thing he shit on his party enough so Congress won't give him an inch. Probably the only time it's good to have a Republican majority.

Oh I think they'll see eye to eye on enough things to forgive the campaign. Washington is all about self preservation and he didn't hurt the party at all, arguably he bolstered a lot of races.

I think the Republican establishment is afraid of him. They'll probably fall inline because he can rake them over the coals with the voting base, at least until(if) things go to shit and they can throw him in front of the bus.

Maybe the dems will actually support someone with a better reputation next time. Whether or not Hillary actually did any of the shit she is accused of doing, there were enough people who believed she did or found her untrustworthy because of the zeitgeist made of such accusations, that she was vulnerable to this. All I can say is I hope I am wrong about all the shit I think is going to happen. Also wonder if Hillary is packing to skip town, he did promise he'd put her in prison.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 7, 2016, 22:06 Pigeon

Take that Netflix you rabble-rouser you, now you don't get to be part of Comcast's anti-competitive scheme. I really don't understand how these data exemption schemes aren't in legal hot water.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 7, 2016, 20:43 Pigeon

I've had nightmares like that, so I'll just go ahead and rename that NOPE island.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 11:36 Pigeon

Voted 2 weeks ago, but can't wait for this to be over. I already got into my election day booze though, probably a bad choice to buy it ahead of time... or maybe it was a great choice.

I more or less purchased my last car through emails, it was a more pleasant process than dealing with the sales people face to face.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2016, 11:09 Pigeon

I've seen more than a few very underwhelming Play of the Games, like someone trying to defend a point in the final seconds and not killing anyone. And then there's the ubiquitous Genji or Bastion going nuts on a control point; not so much poor use of PotG, but just how effective their ults are in those situations.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2016, 13:09 Pigeon

it'll be nice to have some light for the morning drive to work. Maybe traffic will move a little faster and people won't be so quick to play bumper cars... assuming the morning sun isn't directly in everyone's eyes.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 5, 2016, 22:14 Pigeon

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 14:35:
Somebody leaked some of the design process conversations for the new macbooks/iphones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

That was awesomely perfect.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 13:43 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 12:34:
Make murica great again and get a Honda Accord Sedan from Ohio. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/accord-4-door-sedan/2016

When I was looking for a car a few years ago the Accord was near the top of my list. I ended up going with a Mazda 6 though, but I'm sure I would have been quite happy with an Accord. The sales guys at the Honda dealer were extra douchey (even for car salesmen). Not that it would have stopped me if I really wanted one, but it certainly didn't help persuade me into getting one.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2016, 16:15 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 13:02:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 12:58:
There's a lot of discussion about vote selling on Ars in regards to the ballot selfie law, which I think are valid points. My concerns, however, are more for the privacy of other individuals voting than people choosing to share how they voted. If people are allowed to have their phones out taking pictures, it is much harder for the poll workers to monitor what people are taking pictures of than whether or not they have a phone out. Presumably it would be legal to take a picture of yourself, but not of other voters. At what point does the right to free speech get to infringe on other people's right to a secret ballot?

It should be noted I'm part of the "just put your fucking phone away" brigade so my views on this topic are probably biased

You;'re in a public place, you're allowed to be photographed, end of discussion.

Is it a public place? There are a lot of efforts made to ensure polling places are out of the view of the general public i.e. you don't have people voting in the middle of town square, people aren't allowed to loiter inside the polling place, and many states have varying laws regarding electioneering inside and outside of polling places. Even if it is a public place there is precedent for suppressing first amendment rights when other rights are in greater jeopardy of being violated e.g. Judges can ban access to court rooms when it is perceived someone's access to a fair trial would be infringed upon by having the court room open to the public.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 2, 2016, 12:58 Pigeon

There's a lot of discussion about vote selling on Ars in regards to the ballot selfie law, which I think are valid points. My concerns, however, are more for the privacy of other individuals voting than people choosing to share how they voted. If people are allowed to have their phones out taking pictures, it is much harder for the poll workers to monitor what people are taking pictures of than whether or not they have a phone out. Presumably it would be legal to take a picture of yourself, but not of other voters. At what point does the right to free speech get to infringe on other people's right to a secret ballot?

It should be noted I'm part of the "just put your fucking phone away" brigade so my views on this topic are probably biased

News Comments > Steam Screenshot Policy Change?
4. Re: Steam Screenshot Policy Change? Nov 1, 2016, 20:46 Pigeon

Possibly just a move to protect themselves from legal action? I suppose if something like Colonial Marines happened again someone could argue Valve was complicit in false advertising if they allowed such images to be presented as screenshots. And/Or it could just be a customer relations/reputation move. They are ultimately responsible for how their site looks so they're just exercising that control to keep the brand's image polished.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2016, 22:17.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 1, 2016, 14:44 Pigeon

NetHead wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 12:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 11:39:
My ISP contract price is the same for.. 11 years now Although shit speeds

The thing is speeds should increase dramatically over 11 years for the same price, excluding inflation.

One thing I really hate is how ISPs, around here do anyway and probably common elsewhere, essentially charge more for lower or entry level connections compared to faster accounts, going by cost/mbps.

That's what My ISP does. Dropping my speed to half what it currently is, which would be fine with me, would only save me ~$8. A far cry from the $40 that would be half my bill; the lowest tier offerings are an even bigger rip-off. I understand incentivizing higher tier packages with "bulk" rates, but the way they carry it out seems more exploitative than competitive.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
23. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 16:36 Pigeon

Silgurdar wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 16:14:

5) Loading a saved game from the modded version to special edition worked fine. When I loaded it, I got a nice dialog telling me that the save game was using the above list of mods, but it worked fine. I guess purely visual mods do not change the save games that much. I also did try to use special edition's save game and load it to the modded, but that one did not work. I got dialog telling me that the save game was done with later version of Skyrim, which is true.

That's what I expected and good to know. As I said in my previous post I want to pick up where I left off a year+ ago and was hoping my visual/UI mods wouldn't cause the kinds of issues other mods would. I'm assuming if you save the game after opening it, it gets rid of the mod warning?

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 31, 2016, 15:33 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 11:58:
If you are going to review a newer cooler**, it sure would be nice to compare it to the original.

Too many review sites are just glorified unboxings. With tons of ads, few words and many pages. Gotta get that big $$$ somehow.

**or memory, ssd, mouse, keyboard etc...

I often find myself scratching my head at what reviewers use as comparison products. I understand smaller sites may not be able to cover the gamut of comparisons people are looking for, but I do find it a little puzzling some of the larger review sites, like HARDOCP, don't have a system that lets you directly compare benchmarks from their reviews (please correct me if I'm wrong). They seem to consistently use the same test systems, and even if there are occasional differences those can be noted in any comparison chart they create.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
15. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Oct 31, 2016, 13:46 Pigeon

I fired it up this weekend just to take a look. Distances look great can't say much for interiors and character models. Hopefully some of the nice mods from the previous version get ported over in a few weeks. SkyUI would be great.

I understand saves can transfer, but saves with a modded game may be difficult. Hopefully since my mods were UI and graphics related I can still transfer them after a little work; I'd like to pick up where I left off a year or more ago.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 14:14 Pigeon

Glad Mrs. Blue is feeling more or less fine. Hope everything continues to go well with the insurance company. I've never had to deal with that sort of thing, but I've heard plenty of nightmare stories, as well as plenty where everything worked out fine.

I got an MSI gaming X 1070 on Friday, it's giving a pretty substantial bump in performance over my R9 285 (I imagine 4x more RAM helps, among other things). Only problem is at 1080p 60Hz my current monitor doesn't let it perform at it's full potential. I want to get a 1440p gaming monitor, but boy those things are expensive. Maybe there will be some good Black Friday sales on them and I can nab one for a nice discount.

Also, grabbed Overwatch last week too. I've not really played a multi-player FPS in a long time, even though it used to be my bread and butter, and I've realized two things, 1. My Multiplayer FPS skills have greatly degraded, and 2. Matchmaking is annoying. I generally don't have any problems with the people I'm matched with/against, but having to wait for match-making between every match is annoying. Certainly a far cry from finding a good server and just playing for a few hours straight.

I've been mostly playing McCree or Mercy. I figure McCree will force me to work on my aim, and Mercy is similar to TF2 medic so I can play her relatively effectively.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2016, 15:00 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:27:
This guy had to go in to the hospital for a suspicious case of Meningitis-like symptoms. Took me right in to isolation after I described my symptoms to the outpatients nurse and the doc told me he might have to do a Lumbar Puncture which would be his third one in about ten years so he was about as thrilled as I was when he said it. Thankfully, the blood test came back ASAP and it's nothing more than 'some kind of viral infection'. Not a cold or flu, but something. I'm not craving flesh either so there's that.

I'm sure a nice long death-like nap followed by a good warm bowl of brain noodle soup will have you feeling right as rain.

1996 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo