Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2447 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Dec 8, 2017, 17:59 Pigeon

That dog shaped Roomba went right to the mess and started cleaning immediately. They've really improved those things.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 15:47 Pigeon

MacLeod wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 13:33:
Traffic flow (*In "Cities: Skylines")

Other than cars driving through each other, the biggest problem with using it as a simulation is the vehicles actually obey the laws of the road, i.e. merging properly, and not swinging wide or cutting short when turning. Thus more complex systems alleviate traffic, where in reality there would more chaos as people don't know how to do those things. I suppose when cars are autonomous and you don't have to account for the dumdum behind the wheel Skylines can be the premier traffic simulator

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
17. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 7, 2017, 08:47 Pigeon

So basically these high fees make bitcoin undesirable as an everyday currency, and as a commodity it has no inherent usefulness except the artificial value that's been attached to it. And some people wonder why other's call it a pyramid scam.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2017, 09:32.

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 08:54 Pigeon

Their complaint about Dark Knight can pretty much be said about every movie and TV show where a character is using trickery or cunning to advance the plot. Yes Stranger Things is a love letter to 80ís childhood/coming of age movies, but itís a really well written love letter. Honestly I was never aware Django was in the running for best Tarantino movie. I enjoyed it in the way I enjoy most Tarantino movies, as an over the top spectacle. Pulp Fiction, reservoir dogs and Kill Bill all rate better IMO. And bitching about Back to the Future not being realisticÖ Okay someone needs to pull the stick out of their ass and learn to enjoy things for what they are.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 5, 2017, 08:39 Pigeon

Well at least I'll still be able to watch one streaming service after we all get fucked over on the 14th. Who am I kidding, that'll be part of the premium package for an extra $30 a month.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 2, 2017, 21:38 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:15:
I was kind of shocked at how hland Thanos looked in the trailer.

Hland:
From Old Norse hland, from Proto-Germanic *hland&#261; (ďurineĒ)

Yeah I guess they did a piss poor job of it, but that's still an odd way to phrase it. I will say my first reaction to seeing Thanos was 'what the fuck is that'. Seems like it's going to be an action fest, I'm just hoping they can keep the story together enough to make it watchable.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 14:37 Pigeon

In a league that appears to be suffering from a lack of QB talent benching Eli seems like a horrible decision. Iím sure there are a lot of teams that would jump at the chance of having a tried and tested QB over, especially over a QB who hasnít done anything of note. As someone who has watched his Texans go through the revolving door of QBs, the Giants are going to be in for a world of disappointment if they think this is actually going to accomplish anything. I will say while Watson was fantastic, a QB that has to scramble almost every play is a QB thatís going to get knocked out for most or all the season. That is the fault of coaching, relying solely on the talents of one player to pull the rest of the team out of a hole.

On an entirely different subject, I went nuclear on my Windows 10 install, and reformatted it. After the Fall update I was having all kinds of trouble with startup apps not working right, and bizarre bursts in CPU and memory usage (though I think I solved that one). Even after reinstalling the apps and a few drivers, problems would persist. So far so good, everything is working as it should. This is the first time Iíve had to reformat one of my computers to fix a problem since I had XP over 10 years ago. Maybe I could have spent more time trying to figure out what happened, but since this was affecting several different apps I figured it was a problem more core to windows than something I could fix. I canít say the problems were bad, but still annoying and they shouldnít have been happening, and Iím disappointed I had to resort to such a heavy handed approach.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2017, 09:09 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 16:51:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 16:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 12:39:
Former FCC Chairman Wheeler Reacts to Net Neutrality Plan
The cablization of the internet
Pai gives ass cancer a good name.

Itís always surprised me how thin the anti-net neutrality argument has been. The only consumer positive argument I've seen for anti-net neutrality is it will incentivize ISPs to expand/improve services. Which is possible, but itís not as though theyíve lacked incentive before, so itís foolish to think this is the thing thatís going to spur them to action. With near regional monopolies they can take as long as they want to improve and expand without worrying the market is going to disappear.

All the other arguments are some vacuous claim itíll increase competition with zero explanation how this will happen, and the irrational negative reaction to the word Ďregulationí regardless of whatís being regulated, why or how.

But on it goes because corporations deem it so, and the uninformed masses are too apathetic or indoctrinated to know theyíre about to get screwed hard.

98% or some crazy number of verified (non-spam) respondents have supported net neutrality and opposed Pai's ISP giveaway. I think the masses, unlike many other issues, have spoken out pretty clearly in this case.

The internet masses yes, i.e. people who use the internet for more than social-media and netflix, but my impression of the general public's stance is one of cluelessness. To be clear I don't think most anyone who actually understands what's going on would actually want the demise of net-neutrality. If they did people would be outraged on more places than just the internet.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 16:48 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 12:39:
Former FCC Chairman Wheeler Reacts to Net Neutrality Plan
The cablization of the internet
Pai gives ass cancer a good name.

Itís always surprised me how thin the anti-net neutrality argument has been. The only consumer positive argument I've seen for anti-net neutrality is it will incentivize ISPs to expand/improve services. Which is possible, but itís not as though theyíve lacked incentive before, so itís foolish to think this is the thing thatís going to spur them to action. With near regional monopolies they can take as long as they want to improve and expand without worrying the market is going to disappear.

All the other arguments are some vacuous claim itíll increase competition with zero explanation how this will happen, and the irrational negative reaction to the word Ďregulationí regardless of whatís being regulated, why or how.

But on it goes because corporations deem it so, and the uninformed masses are too apathetic or indoctrinated to know theyíre about to get screwed hard.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 26, 2017, 20:34 Pigeon

That looks so nice, TIE Fighter was my favorite games as a kid. Even joined some group on AoL where I'd make custom missions for others to play... and now I feel old  

News Comments > New Steam CCU Record
11. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 20:29 Pigeon

That's a lot of Chinese bots trading cards and hats.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2017, 20:27 Pigeon

Unfortunately people won't care until it's too late. And even then I doubt they'll understand how it happened.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2017, 17:01 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 16:02:
I do wonder though: does he actually believe this stuff, or is he just soaking the flat earthers to fund his vanity project?

I wonder if any flat-earther truly believes. Like it's just one big LARP for people who's lives are boring and insignificant and they're just trying to feel good about themselves and pass the time before they die(I mean who isn't). While it may not be the most maladaptive way of dealing with life it still spreads dangerous levels of stupid and the increasingly unfortunate view that fact is only a matter of conviction.

News Comments > Black Friday Legal Briefs
5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 25, 2017, 13:33 Pigeon

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 03:25:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:41:
Of course it's bad if you have fraud going on, but how do they determine what comments are "real" or not? Because loads of pro net neutrality people use sites like EFF or Demand Progress to automatically send messages for these kinds of things, and I would think that probably looks similar to corporate lobbies sending in a bunch of fake comments against it. Especially when most don't bother to customize the pre-written template they're given, if they even read the thing... Are they looking for legit, unique names and addresses attached to them as well?

The way it was easy to tell that it was bot spam at the time was that we were actually watching the names come in in alphabetical order for almost all of the anti-NN messages. It was infuriating, yet also hilariously incompetent at the same time.

That pretty much sums up this entire administration, now that I think about it.

And yet most people don't give a shit. Half of them hate it because it has the word regulation in it. I swear if you called laws against murder, aggression regulation people would be screaming to have it repealed because DAH GUBMENT. I also notice mainstream media barley mentions it, instead you get front and center articles about Ivanka's skirt being too short four days in a row.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 09:28 Pigeon

LittleMe wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 03:41:

Now direct your anger at your local government to open up more competition to give you more choices. That would be constructive.

You do realize the removing Title II is likely to cause the same kind of non-competitive wasteland that is ISP provider choice to the entirety of the internet right? With ISPs as the covetous gatekeepers you can bet your sweet ass it's going to get more expensive for new businesses to enter the market, and for smaller alternatives to compete against the likes of google and amazon.

You don't like regulation, fine, but surely you have to see there's an order in which things ought to happen so as not to destroy what competition there is (i.e. competition between ISPs is opened up before title II is is removed). What do you think is going to happen when ISPs, who you seem to have acknowledged don't really have competition, are allowed to control your access to content on the internet? Do you really think that's going to foster a healthy competitive environment on the internet, or do you think only the companies that can afford to pay the toll will benefit?

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2017, 18:26 Pigeon

So this wall street analyst has stock in EA, and is trying to convince everyone what a bargain SW-BFII is so people will run out and buy it. Thus preventing it from being a huge flop, and his stocks won't suffer. Seems about right to me

Kidding aside, the development and marketing cost of games these days is insane. But it's not as though companies like EA are keeping prices down out of the goodness of their hearts, they know there's a pretty steep sales precipice nobody is eager to explore the edge of. That's where all the loot boxes, battle packs and micro-transactions come in; one might call it Trojan Horse Armor. It's the same way with airlines, tickets are relatively inexpensive, but if you don't want to be miserable, and actually want to take things with you, you're gonna pay extra.

Maybe it's because there are only a handful of AAA games I'm interested in, but I wouldn't be heart broken if annual releases of Battle Duty Need for Madden disappeared.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2017, 14:12 Pigeon

Forget makeup sex, hypocritical self-hating gay sex is clearly the best kind of sex. Why else would people destroy the careers they built on hating the LGBT community?  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2017, 13:58 Pigeon

Time to start putting money into the bank of old worn mattress. That or invest everything in the market, ride the wave, and bail out just before it crashes.  

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2017, 21:19 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 21:03:
I truly hope Ajit Pai gets ass cancer.

Unfortunately that's impossible, because he is ass cancer.

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 14, 2017, 22:50 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 22:12:
Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 21:50:
ďAlthough criminal charges have not been filed, her behavior is contrary to this officeís core principle of integrity, and it will not be tolerated,Ē the statement said. ďAs public servants, we represent the people of Dallas County and are examples of justice, professionalism, and ethical behavior both inside and outside of the courtroom.Ē

Yet another motherfucker in law enforcement who skates without so much as a slap on the wrist. Anyone else would have been arrested, gone to jail, and then lost their job. Hope the driver sues the shit out of that bitch and DFW too!
If she had been a he, he wouldn't have even been fired!

Or perhaps she should have creeped on 14 year olds, then she would have been nominated the republican candidate for senate.

2447 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo