Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1901 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2016, 15:04 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 14:15:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 13:58:
Woman and dog pulled from sinking car in Louisiana flooding.

Bizarre. Why the hell was she still in the car? Also, maybe not a good idea to step on a floating car with a person inside.

Car was not floating, car was sinking. The people did exactly what was necessary to save that woman's life and only had seconds to do it. Now dealing with the crazy bitch who was more worried about saving her mutt, well that's another story.

We had a lot of flooding around here a few months ago and most of the deaths were due to people's own stupidity. One particularly outstanding incident had some lady drive around a tow-truck, that was blocking the road, and into 30 feet of water. It's unfortunate and a shitty way to go, but it's their own fault. I think it kinda goes with the general theme that people have a false sense of security, power and entitlement while in their vehicles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2016, 13:37 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 12:12:
I wonder what the real reason for switching to the cu model (no tinfoil fedora).

Windows 7 updating with it's previous 100's of updates has always worked fine until just recently.

I call cheeky shenanigans on Microsoft with its weak sauce explanation.

Probably uses less bandwidth and reduces the processing power needed to figure out what updates an individual computer needs. I'm sure its not much on an individual basis, but when you add up the 100s of millions of windows devices it could make a significant impact on their costs. Though I wouldn't be surprised if its also so they can more easily hide crap that consumers would otherwise not want. Sounds like it would eliminate the ability to not install update XYZ.

Also I have little doubt the TAKES FOR EVER TO UPDATE WINDOWS V,7,8 problem is conscious effort, at least in some manner, on their behalf.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2016, 08:22 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 03:35:
Tiger Saves Man From Leopard.

That guy is seriously a Darwin award winner just waiting to happen.

No joke, even if that leopard was just playing it could have easily killed him. Then again live like a boss die like a boss; how many people get to play drums on a lion's tummy?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
15. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 12, 2016, 21:02 Pigeon

dubfanatic wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 20:22:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 19:48:
Very unfortunate. I remember thinking it looked neat way back when, but wondered what they'd do to keep the concept interesting past a few hours. From what I hear they did nothing.

Hold up, So what you're saying is... This is the Black & White of the 2010s?

Or Spore, take your pick.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
8. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 12, 2016, 19:48 Pigeon

Very unfortunate. I remember thinking it looked neat way back when, but wondered what they'd do to keep the concept interesting past a few hours. From what I hear they did nothing.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2016, 13:17 Pigeon

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 12:42:
"The Worst Driving Habits with Each Type Of Transmission"

Honestly, these are exactly what my dad taught me at 14 years old learning to drive.

Also, after driving manual cars for almost 10 years after that. I decided that I really don't want to drive one again. Manuals + City Traffic = horribly tedious.

My car has what I call a manumatic mode, basically it's an auto, but you have the option of going into a clutch-less manual shifting mode. I think it would be fun to use, but since I'm always in the city I don't want to fuss with it.

And this isn't really what the article was getting at but one of my all time hated things are people who continuously inch forward at a red-light, seemingly no matter how close they already are to another vehicle. My friend does this and it makes me nervous as hell. Your license plates don't need to kiss, keep your foot on the fucking brake.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2016, 14:18 Pigeon

I finally watched a little yesterday, saw the men's 200m relay which was awesome.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2016, 22:31 Pigeon

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 19:03:
1badmf wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 17:51:
nin wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 14:53:
Holy shit, was Suicide Squad bad. At one point about 2/3rds of the way through, Will Smith says "When will it end?" and I'm thinking "Yes, Will, when will this end??????????"

It really did feel like (matching reports of the last few days) it was sort of reordered/reedited. Joker shows up and then disappears for 40+ minutes, at one point...

i actually liked it. that story about it being re-edited to shit by the bigwigs really rings true. i felt like there was a really good movie in there but they chopped it up into fish bait.

it tried way too hard to be like the trailers with catchy songs behind montages for the entire first half of the film and a whole lotta stuff is explained unnecessarily out of order, like who the fuck the bad guys are.

but the scenes themselves and the acting were surprisingly good to me. i would gripe with harley's writing though - she tried a little too hard with the harley-isms, and her relationship with joker, frankly, wasn't fucked up enough. surprised how much i liked will smith as deadshot though. i'll be really interested to see the director's cut.

I'd agree with almost everything you wrote, other than I really didn't like the final product on screen. I could easily see the potential there, but something clearly went wrong along the way...

I have to wonder ho much they spent on the soundtrack, only to use 10-15 second snipits...

I enjoyed it, but it certainly had some problems. The story felt pretty disjointed at times as they struggled to establish characters and move the plot forward. Jared Leto's Joker came across like they didn't know what the hell to do except trying not to mimic Ledger's joker. Margot Robbie and Will Smith were the stand outs IMO, Robbie more so, but Smith carried scenes well enough. I liked the lady playing Waller too. If I watched this at home I probably would have taken a few breaks...

Funny you mention the music. All I could think of when it was happening was a bunch of execs going, 'Let's get a bunch of clips from songs people like and jam them right at the beginning. That'll keep them from walking out in the first few minutes.'

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2016, 22:37.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2016, 13:53 Pigeon

Going to watch Suicide Squad this weekend with a friend. I'm hoping that because my expectations are so low I'll find it enjoyable. It worked with Avatar at least.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2016, 08:45 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 01:00:
I use an MX200 250GB and it's.... okay? It gives me weird read and writes though which range from abysmally slow to fast enough. Apparently the 100 series was a lot better but I suppose I got what I paid for at the time which was ~90$.

Probably should have ponied up the extra $15 for the 850 Evo though.

I've had an MX100 for the last year and a half and it runs great, though my basis for comparison is limited. Unfortunate to hear there was a drop in quality to the newer generation. Crucial seems to be pretty good at hitting that price/performance sweet spot.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 13:28 Pigeon

Retired wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 10:21:
An Army of Vehicles Resurface a Street in Russia.

Anyone here know much about road surfaces? Depending on weight limits, I don't expect that road to last long. They are putting a fairly "THIN" layer on top of an existing layer that appears the top layer was ground down and removed. Leaving an existing fragile layer they are putting new tar on top of.

Those haven't gone well here in MN and I believe our climate is the same.....

They are trying a fair number of new technologies in road surface. But if semis go on that road they just put down, in the winter it is going to break like ice.

The number of vehicles is pretty cool. Takes forever around here for roads to get done......be nice if they did that amount of effort here.

They probably do it every year. I imagine it's cheaper and faster than putting down a road engineered to last. It took a year and 1/2 for ~1 mile long proper road outside my apartment to be completed. Granted they were also putting in drainage, a side walk and only working on half the road at a time, but still it took a long ass time for such a short distance.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2016, 12:52 Pigeon

If I could have upgraded my Vista laptop for free I would have. I've been fighting the slow as shit updates for a few months now, actually think I posted about it here. It'll either get stuck on downloading or checking. Finally got it to update yesterday, I think manually installing KB3168965 and turning off updates finally allowed to to check for updates and download/install within a unit of time that didn't see large shifts in the position of the sun. There seem to be a lot of fixes out there, so who knows what actually works. I'm sure M$ has TOP MEN, working on the issue  

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 29, 2016, 14:03 Pigeon

I've been having an issue with audio over HDMI for a few weeks now. Seems to have occurred during a driver update. Playback devices takes a long time to open, and then I can't switch the audio source to my TV. Usually it works after a reboot, but becomes an issue after the machine has been running for a bit. I've not spent a lot of time trying to trouble shoot, but it's annoying, and I'm grasping at the slim hope this driver will magically fix the issue.  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 13:54 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:33:
The current Pascal lineup lacks the same foresight which put the Maxwell lineup in the barn as far as async compute is concerned which leads me to believe the Pascal is nothing more than a stop-gap filler series for what should have been Volta which was pushed back due to AMD having priority to HBM2 modules.

Brace yourselves, a mountain of used Pascals are coming.

Does async compute accomplish the same basic goal as g-sync or free-sync? If so I can understand why they'd be slow to support async; there is a sizable markup on monitors that support their proprietary tech.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 09:55 Pigeon

Die Flash DIE Flamethrower  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 17, 2016, 12:21 Pigeon

Thompson did not say one word in his keynote address about the significant security benefits of ad blockers, which is ironic, because his paper was one of several news organizations that served its users ransomware—a particularly vicious form of malware that encrypts the contents of your computer and forces you to pay the perpetrators a ransom in bitcoin to unlock it—through its ad networks just a few months ago.

In his defense it would take a lot of time and money collaborating with their ad networks to deliver safe and effective advertisements on their site. It's far easier and cheaper to blame the consumer, and if the ones that don't ads get hit by nasty malware, oh well, no skin off their back.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 7, 2016, 13:20 Pigeon

Cameras could potentially be awesome, specially if implemented correctly. The only thing I'd worry about is if they don't render head-checks unnecessary people will be overly reliant on them. I already see this issue with back-up cameras, which are great, but they don't show people everything they need to see when backing up. Many seemingly only look at that when backing up.  

News Comments > Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition Plans
4. Re: Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition Plans Jul 6, 2016, 11:50 Pigeon

Huzzah!!! This is pretty much what I've been waiting to hear. Now I just need to pick up a beefier GPU and maybe a better monitor so I can enjoy it in all its glory.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2016, 14:05 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:36:
The 1902 invention of air conditioning has long been hailed as one of the most important inventions of the 20th century, one that has forever changed the way we live.

Yeah, I dunno about that. AC is nice but hardly necessary - for me at any rate. I'd argue that the really important inventions are the refrigerator and toilet paper. I could live without most modern trappings but not having a fridge and TP would really suck.

Depends on the climate... a lot of the world would be/and is an absolute humid hell without air conditioning. Definitely one of the most important inventions, not the most important invention of the 20th century.

Hooray, not so minor improvements in the quality of life!

I can't imagine living where I do without AC. The feels like is 109F, and the lows at night are generally like 79F with 80% humidity. This is a consistent pattern that can last from early May to late October. The only thing that can break that in the thick of summer is a hurricane, which you better hope your power is back after 2 days, cause then it really gets hot. Think of it like this Cutter, if it weren't for AC all of us southerners would be up where you are, getting in your personal space.

Also I agree with the Fridge and TP. Granted there are more hygienic options, but TP is cheap and much more hygienic then what a lot of the world uses... their hand.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2016, 14:19 Pigeon

A short story from Tales of: There's nothing actually wrong with your computer so don't fuck with it:

My CPU temps seemed a little high, and I wasn't really satisfied with how my last application of thermal paste went, so I decided to give it another try. Opened my case, pulled out the heat sink and cpu, cleaned the old paste off, and went to reapply the paste I had bought about a month ago and... something with the consistency of silly putty came out. So off to Fry's which had a disappointingly small selection; grabbed the antec formula 7 OMG DIAMONDS, applied it, and now I'm up and running again. I will say it was easier to apply, I suspect the previous stuff was too dry even when it was 'new'. Maybe shaved 2 or 3 degrees off temps, but too early to tell. I'm also not exactly testing with laboratory methods here. Probably would have been better off just leaving it be, live and learn I guess.

1901 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo