Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2002 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2015, 08:27 Pigeon

DangerDog wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 04:37:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 19:26:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 17:16:
I'd be much more interested to see who could kill him first to prevent him from ever making anymore movies.
Who would be you preferred director for Star Wars? Just curious.

I hated Into Darkness but I think that was less his direction and more the script. I'd love to see a Star Wars movie directed by Rian Johnson or Alphonse Cuaron.

George Lucas

/rimshot

He can flesh out this whole force thing some more. Now that we have sentient bacteria that let certain people access the force, maybe we can find out what actually creates the force. Perhaps a magic space panda that's actually an imaginary friend of a little girl in China who's forced assemble toys based off a popular science fiction series owned by an incredibly wealthy and dashing man. It's like poetry.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VI
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VI Dec 16, 2015, 17:55 Pigeon

Brumbek wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 17:22:
Those horrible mobile sprite graphics are an abomination. And Square has the gall to tell us "painstakingly recreated graphics" for characters...and yet the world graphics are hideous. Seriously, the game looks way better on ZSNES emulator. Square ruining another beloved classic...sigh...

Marketing's auto correct changed it to 'painstakingly created' from 'painfully forced'.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2015, 09:43 Pigeon

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 09:30:
I get to do something cool later today, though mentioning it in advance is not really playing it cool.

STAR WARS??!?

but I'll fill you in tomorrow, at which point it will probably be a "so what?"

Ok, maybe not!

So I'm just setting myself up here. That's me... living on the edge.

You and Aerosmith are going to go see Star Wars together?!

Steven Tyler could go dressed as a hippie Admiral Ackbar. He wouldn't even need makeup to give him a big fish mouth.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2015, 08:54 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 23:45:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 23:21:
Pod Racer, Rebellion, Masters of Teras Kasi, The Wii one with the horrible motion controls, Force Commander and I'm sure there are others that can be mentioned. Star Wars has not been immune to shit being pumped out to milk the IP. The vapidness that is Battlefront is just another of a long line of bad Star Wars games, it doesn't signal the end of good Star Wars games any more than Yoda Stories did.

Hmm, the pod racer game was a blast, and Rebellion was fun. There have been bad SW games, but most of them have been pretty solid.

Pod racer was just a generic racing game with Star Wars slapped on it, in that way it is comparable to Battlefront. Perhaps my disdain for the prequels colors my perception of it, but I still maintain it was just an attempt to milk the IP rather than create an actual Star Wars game. As far as Rebellion I guess we'll have to agree to disagree; once the novelty of Star Wars wore off it was a pretty boring strategy game to me.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2015, 23:21 Pigeon

Pod Racer, Rebellion, Masters of Teras Kasi, The Wii one with the horrible motion controls, Force Commander and I'm sure there are others that can be mentioned. Star Wars has not been immune to shit being pumped out to milk the IP. The vapidness that is Battlefront is just another of a long line of bad Star Wars games, it doesn't signal the end of good Star Wars games any more than Yoda Stories did.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 14, 2015, 22:45 Pigeon

fujiJuice wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 21:46:
Never ever use Angie's List. I had an experience where one of their contractors sent a man who had just murdered someone, and I mean, the appointment a few hours before me, to my home. Even when told about this they refused to remove that contractors listing.

The contractor was just sub contracting out the work to independent people. It was a horrible experience. Over a year later I had to testify at the Man's murder trial and point him out in the courtroom. This is someone I let walk through my house.

They are not a trustworthy company and I wouldn't trust those reviews at all.

But you got a refund right, what are you upset about? /sarcasm

7. Re: Into the Black Dec 14, 2015, 19:30 Pigeon

I'd be lying if I said I won't enjoy the movie, but they aren't Star Trek. They obviously went more main stream with these pumping up the action and effects and I guess it works cause most of my friends that aren't hardcore nerds love the new movies and are indifferent, at best, to the old movies/TV series.

I think after the personal trauma that was the Star Wars prequels my brain protects itself by cordoning off the areas where my fond memories of things like Star Trek exist so as not to be tainted re-imaging that flies in the face of of the previous material.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
13. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 14, 2015, 08:29 Pigeon

InBlack wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 06:40:
(Now and again I watch ViaSAT History which, unlike the History channel, has some great documentaries)

You mean like the documentary where the Nazis tried to weaponize the Loch Ness monster, but the queen and her army of lizard people stopped them, so they had to build a mechanical megalodon instead, so some people believe could have maybe happened?

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 13, 2015, 19:19 Pigeon

I've not paid for cable TV since 2007 either. As others have pointed out between gaming and streaming services most of my entertainment needs are met. It's only $20 more for TV and slightly faster service, but it's probably more with fees. I bought my own cable modem as well which has paid for itself and then some when you consider lame equipment rental fees.  

News Comments > Chucklefish Forums Breached
4. Re: Chucklefish Forums Breached Dec 10, 2015, 13:23 Pigeon

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 11:58:
In the modern era of these near constant breaches, why is SecOps seemingly the LAST thing on the "to-do" list of many businesses?

Because things aren't a problem until they're a problem. Most people are pretty short sited/lazy when it comes to prevention. Sometimes despite best efforts shit still happens, but no backups since March seems to suggest a lax attitude towards preparation and prevention.

News Comments > XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed
5. Re: XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed Dec 10, 2015, 12:37 Pigeon

Loved XCOM, hopefully the new one brings only improvements; though it looks like I'll be waiting for a GOTY edition with all the DLC they're releasing.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 10, 2015, 11:34 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 10:26:
Summed up in a few paragraphs...

The best value gaming CPU has to be reasonably priced and avoid reaching the point of severe diminishing returns. That rules out any Core i7 processor in our book, as Core i5s do just as well in 99% of the games out there.

We donít recommend gamers to invest in AMD FX processors either, as we've found them to inhibit gaming performance of high-end GPUs in some of the latest titles. Most recently we found horrible FX performance in Fallout 4, where the FX-9590 was bested by a 4th-gen Core i3. Although we haven't published a full performance review on (the somewhat buggy) Just Cause 3, this amazing open world game also makes FX processors seriously suffer.

This leaves us tossing up between the Haswell and Skylake Core i5s. The Core i5-4690K costs $240 while the i5-6600K is selling for $270, not a significant difference but enough to make us question spending more on the 6600K given it wonít really benefit gamers in any meaningful way.

It's also not too hard to find the 4690k @ $180 and the 6600k @ $220. Both are pretty much in the sweet spot for performance/price. The 6600k is only $40 more, but Z170 M/B and DDR4 are going to cost more than the 4690k counterparts. But some people like having the newest even if they're not actually going to take advantage of the new features; which I completely understand.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 10, 2015, 09:53 Pigeon

I have an excellent memory... for useless information that I can't use to my benefit.  

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week
4. Re: PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week Dec 8, 2015, 21:56 Pigeon

Cram wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:39:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:21:
The Pyro wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 20:47:
My favorite FF ever! Unfortunately I've already played it so much that I don't think I could bring myself to do another run-through; there's just not that much character customization. Still, if you're nostalgic for JRPGs and never got around to trying FF6 then go for it!

I still listen to the orchestral versions of the music on a fairly regular basis. Some of Uematsu's best work IMO.

EDIT: Listen to Dancing Mad for example.

You know what? I've listened to dozens of remixes of that song and the best one is still the original. It was designed for the SNES sound chip. The music in that game is great overall. It's also the only FF game I like. But like you, there's no way I can bring myself to play it again.

The Black Mages remix came close, in particular the electric guitar solo'ish part during the final/Kefka phase part of the piece. However, I agree. The original has never been surpassed by any remix, from OCRemix to Uematsu's remixing attempts himself.

Looks like it's the mobile port, PASS. I have the original and the PS1 version, so not sure why I'd waste my time with a half-assed mobile version.

Like the link though, the SNES music was amazing, but I can appreciate remixes. Kefka's probably my favorite of the FF villains, no emo background just straight up psychotic. No long winded speeches before he tries to destroy the world giving the heroes a chance to regroup and intervene, he just does it.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 11:52 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 10:25:
it's also weird how consistently the leaders pick better than everyone else. i would think beyond a certain point (that a lot of us football fans are past) that it's all just statistical noise, but the names on the espn leaderboard are almost always the same dudes all season long.

I think there's some level of skill to it, paying attention to injuries knowing who plays well against what team, but I think its mostly luck. Get 2 or 3 good weeks, and then do average or just above average and you'll stay ahead of everyone else.

"Finally met the love of my life, and get banned from the rest of the CON and lose two more $100 photo ops with him because I lost my mind... got so excited standing beside him... and just turned my head and bit him!"

She then urinated on the carpet and whimpered for 4 straight hours.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4
16. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4 Dec 8, 2015, 09:47 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 05:06:
Devinoch wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:04:
I mean, if they had to remake one, why didn't they remake best-in-class FF6 rather than one of the most overwrought entries in the series? Oh. Right. Nostalgia value only.

Carry on, as you were.

No one was really clamoring for a FF6 remake like they were for FF7.

6, 7, and 10 are probably the most played titles of each generation. 6 ages well because the pretty sprites are kind of timeless. A remake in modern graphics could never recapture the feeling and would have to take a lot of liberties with the art style. (Look at the concept art for some of the FF6 characters. They look way better as sprites...)

10 is newer, already fully 3D, fully voice acted, and was best served with just a Remaster.

7 is in the middle. Visually, it doesn't hold up well being a very early attempt at 3D with 2D backdrops. It isn't voice acted. It could do with some new dialogue.

In short, the demand is there, and it's a good candidate for a remake, lacking a lot of the potential downsides of remaking something like 6.

I liked the remake of FF-IV for the DS. Greatly improved visuals, increased difficulty, some new dungeons and secret items, better translation with fan favorites (spoony bard) left in, and some added mechanics. They could easily do the same with FF6.

3. Re: Into the Black Dec 7, 2015, 22:10 Pigeon

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 19:10:
Wow, didn't know that lyric was based on an actual person. Pretty cool!

The whole song is about real people. Apparently Little Joe was with her at the time of death, at least according to the article.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 14:06 Pigeon

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 13:47:
I think a good case was made that the problem with Lucas isn't that he lost his touch or soul but that he's always needed to be filtered. He's a wonderfully creative guy on paper but someone else needs to put it on screen. Some of the stuff he wanted to do for IV was batshit insane too, budgetary and creative interference weeded out the dumb bits. I don't think it's a coincidence the universally agreed on two best movies of the 6 happened to be the ones he was least in control of.

This has always been the explanation that made the most sense to me. Extremely creative, but needs someone to focus that creativity into something salient. In interviews I've seen with him I get the impression he had a lot more leeway with the prequels than he did with the original films, particularly episode I which I think most people would agree is the worst of the series.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 13:59 Pigeon

...the last decade has allowed dislike for the prequels to sour into petty disdain. And they donít deserve it...

...Yes, Jar Jar was terrible (from his language to his antics to his CG depiction), Jake Lloyd was not the greatest child actor, and the dialogue ranged from wooden to cheesy to downright silly.

The writer almost immediately gives reasons to thwart her own stance. But we can add to the list of reasons with Midichlorians, the force middle-men nobody wanted, CGI that meshed poorly, plot holes you wouldn't have any trouble bulls-eyeing with a T16 Skyhopper, and almost everything that was Anakin through all 3 series. I hesitate to blame Jake Loyd or Hayden Christensen because most of my problems seemed to be with poor dialogue and character development. Which delves into the next point Kelly puts forth as to why people unfairly hate on the prequels.

The prequels tell a different kind of story than the original trilogy told, which was jarring for many fans. Instead of a heroís journey to victory, they depict a heroís fall from grace, a tragedy that is harder to bring to life onscreen.

The fall from grace story was the story everyone expected, and wanted. The problem was the execution of that story. The reasoning behind Anakin's fall is pretty tenuous and his near instant 180 degree change is pretty unbelievable. The character comes off as shallow and unlikable, and when there's a chance for development we get some shoe horned whiny monologue about sand. The sad part is the Clone Wars cartoon series did a much better job developing the character than anything in the movies. In my opinion I could have overlooked a lot of the other problems with the movies had Anakin not been so fundamentally unlikable.

Also I know many disagree with my, but I thought the duel between Dooku and Yoda was a tad on the goofy side.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Prenda lawyer must sell condo Dec 5, 2015, 10:18 Pigeon

Quboid wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 22:16:
Ha ha!

That's immediately what came to mind when read this story.

2002 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo