Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2369 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 25, 2016, 23:35 Pigeon

The loot boxes were a nice little surprise, what wasn't nice was every competitive game I played today had leavers. Thankfully since some of those occurred on the other team my score didn't take too big a hit.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
8. Re: Christmas Tech Bits Dec 25, 2016, 22:24 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 18:15:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 13:16:
World’s first solar road....
That's pretty ingenious, if all buildings and roads had solar panels, there would be no need for nuclear or coal and probably water diversions for hydroelectric. Massive job increases for education, design, installation and service, could sustain a whole country easily.

It's wasteful unless you live somewhere near the equator where the sun is perpendicular to the road most of the year and has 300+ days of sun.

It's also stupid to spend gobs of money to reinforce solar panels so they can take tons of weight without breaking when there are still buildings to put normal solar panels on. Roads should be the last choice for solar panels.

Yeah I don't get that, and its to power the street lights? Seems like you could build a solar array for 1/4 of the cost and all the benefit. While it's interesting as a 'cause we can' project, and undoubtedly there are other more useful applications that can benefit from the knowledge attained from this, it seems ridiculous as something people would actually want to implement on a wide-scale basis.

EDIT: Also that bike Lane thing in Korea is pretty sweet. I mean the solar panel covering is just the cherry on top. Any bike lanes around here are about a 1 foot chunk taken out of the regular road with nothing but a solid white line to suggest drivers not pancake riders.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2016, 22:32.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 21:03 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 15:52:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 15:43:
Saw Rogue One yesterday. Really, really good. Highly recommended. It's darker than TFA, and feels like someone said "Let's make a Star Wars Private Ryan!" The Rebels operate in gray areas, so it's not the binary morality of the other movies. The action is well choreographed and intense (bordering on R-rating). And the story is cleverly dovetailed with A New Hope. It's not perfect, some of the characters, while well acted could have been better developed. And speaking of John Williams, the score sorely missed him.

Spoilers: I admire the ending: pretty much everyone dies. There's no hope of a Rogue 2. Also, the CG Tarkin and Leia looked a bit plasticky. I respect that they pushed the technology to the limits, but it's not quite there yet.
Agreed, as far as the CGI goes Spoilers: it's almost hits the uncanny vally, but it's not quite there yet. how they did it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KJGLRmt0w

I saw it yesterday and despite being the a 3D IMAX showing there was barely anyone in theater, I don't even know if it was 1/4 full. I got a nice seat in the middle and nobody sitting next to me. Probably the most relaxing theater experience I've had in a long time.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, well acted but things felt like they needed to be fleshed out a bit more.

Spoilers: I gotta say the CGI it's pretty damn close to looking real, but there were a few times it kind of seemed out of place (The facial movements of Tarkin while speaking broke the illusion the most IMO). Overall I think they did a good job with it though, mostly it wasn't off putting and makes me wonder how long it will be till they can make a CGI humans you can't tell are CGI. I felt a little pang when I saw Leia given the events of the day.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 13:42 Pigeon

It's already 80 here. Last year we had a record high of 83 so there's still time to beat that. Last Sunday I don't think it got much over 40. Thanks global warming /sarcasm^3 .

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas hot, cold or California.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 00:49 Pigeon

Sorry you had to put up with that, it's maddening just hearing about it. Congratulations on resisting the urge to push some teeth in though. That kind of crazy doesn't learn anyways. Hope things are better tomorrow.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2016, 11:18 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 17:59:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:50:

Which the researchers noticed and attempted to correct for:

To make more of an apples-to-apples comparison, the study authors repeated their analysis using data only from hospitalists. These doctors only treat hospitalized patients, and since they work in shifts, their patients essentially are randomly assigned. Even so, female hospitalists had better outcomes (10.8% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 14.64% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male hospitalists (11.17% of patients died within 30 days and 15.11% were re-admitted), according to the study.

The researchers also reran the numbers using only hospitals without intensive care units, since male doctors may be more likely to work in ICUs, where patients are sicker. Once again, female doctors had better outcomes (11.16% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 15.34% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male doctors (11.78% of patients died within 30 days and 15.94% were readmitted).

The rerun (and thus numbers) is statistically totally flawed, you can't take a snapshot of 30 days in a hospital and then AVERAGE mortality per gender of doctor when nothing else is perfectly balanced and equal in the system. As the study itself describes, there is a shift system and not equal spread of genders between doctors, MANY doctors interact with the SAME patient over many shifts. This means because there are more male doctors, a male doctor would interact with MORE patients (on average) by nature during shifts (who then might die), and female doctors with less, but only if you take a statistical average of interactions. This obviously shifts mortality because less female doctors also means less average interactions by female doctors with patients that die over 30 day average over shifts.

It says absolutely nothing about female doctors being better doctors, that would only be possible with an in-depth look at the cases and ALL interactions that patient had with doctors. And even then it would tell you nothing and it certainly does not allow the interpretation that the LA times published. In fact if the difference on average is lower than the gender imbalance they might actually be worse doctors ^^

I would be seriously surprised if they did not use an analysis that accounted for the inequity in number of male vs. female physicians. Unfortunately I'm not as up on my statistics as I should be and even reading through the actual paper (The Journal Article linked in the LA Times article) I can't adequately explain what they did without spending hours and hours researching the various methods they used. I can see no reason to assume that when they say they adjusted for patient volume they didn't use some method for doing this as opposed to leaving it up to the quasi-random selection of shift system.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Dec 21, 2016, 15:18 Pigeon

Fion wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:15:
I haven't read it yet but many of us Overwatch fans already knew that Zarya was gay.

How do you know it's Zarya?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 14:50 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:28:

QFT....

The article has the reason. The male doctors have a 37% LARGER patient load than the women (181 to 132). The article claims the women should earn the same and the men. How can they if the men WORK harder and see MORE patients?

They NOTED this but danced by it. 37% heavier load is very significant when they are suggesting the outcomes are FRACTIONAL percentage points different.

I practiced for over 35 years. The women kept the easy patients and sent the sicker ones to the men. The women used "family" and "holidays" as excuses for them NOT working even though the men reproduced and used the same calendars

And....

No, it is the anti-male sexism on display in this research that is most disturbing. For scientific conclusions to be objective and truly "scientific", they must be willing to entertain all possibilities. Yet researchers get prestige for showing women are better at some task, and risk destroying their academic carrier for suggesting the opposite. A one-way street is not science. The church of christianity tried that and we got the dark ages. A church of feminism is no better.

Amen, brother.

Which the researchers noticed and attempted to correct for:

To make more of an apples-to-apples comparison, the study authors repeated their analysis using data only from hospitalists. These doctors only treat hospitalized patients, and since they work in shifts, their patients essentially are randomly assigned. Even so, female hospitalists had better outcomes (10.8% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 14.64% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male hospitalists (11.17% of patients died within 30 days and 15.11% were re-admitted), according to the study.

The researchers also reran the numbers using only hospitals without intensive care units, since male doctors may be more likely to work in ICUs, where patients are sicker. Once again, female doctors had better outcomes (11.16% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 15.34% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male doctors (11.78% of patients died within 30 days and 15.94% were readmitted).

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2016, 14:56.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 13:25 Pigeon

Interesting article, especially given the effect held after controlling for some known confounding factors. Still a lot of unknowns and I would suspect the effect size is not particularly large. I hope they try to drill down a little more to see what qualities, other than a vagina, are at work. Do men Docs tend to be more arrogant than their female counterparts thus leading them to make more incorrect decisions, do they not listen as much? Or maybe since there's a 2 to 1 ratio of men to women doctors is there something about women who chose to go against cultural norms that make them better doctors.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 21, 2016, 13:02 Pigeon

That amazing Russian freedom at work.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 18:55 Pigeon

I third the call for people to use temperature probes. I know it's a point of pride among many cooks, and some think if you poke a single hole in a piece of meat before its ready to serve all the juice is going to geyser out leaving you with a dry husk, but the reality is assuming you're relatively good at telling when a piece of meat is done, you'll only be poking one, maybe two small holes in it and the amount of juice that escapes will be completely unnoticeable. You also get the bonus of cooking your food to the perfect temperature every time. They also work great for things like baked potatoes where size variation makes the timing of doneness a little difficult.  

News Comments > On Overwatch Mei Skins
1. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Dec 16, 2016, 20:03 Pigeon

I know it's the internet and people on the internet bitch about everything, but for it to warrant a response/apology from the game director.. I almost feel bad for Blizzard.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 16, 2016, 13:02 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 12:29:
On a similar note, goodbye, and thank you, Tom Wheeler. You were the biggest surprise in US government in decades.

You were able to stave off the "bend over and take it from Comcast/Verizon/AT&T and LIKE IT!" apocalypse for a few years.

Yeah, I was not happy when Wheeler was appointed, but he really did a lot to help protect the internet from the corporations. It's unfortunate everything he did will probably be undone and worse. The whole data-cap exemption thing stinks to high heavens, and I get the feeling we're going to be up to our necks in it soon.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 16, 2016, 08:20 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 01:15:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 00:51:
Can I keep my quad-SLI 1080GTX rig?
Nope, you'll have to ship it to me in Texas. I'll even pay the freight.

Sounds like it could be a heavy package, wouldn't want RedEye throwing out his back lifting it. You should lighten the load and send two of those 1080s my way, you know for his sake.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2016, 15:18 Pigeon

nin wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 14:58:
Creston wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 14:01:
That said, I wouldn't invite Twitter to a meeting of "tech giants" either.

Considering how much he uses them as a microphone, he should be kissing their ass.

I'm sure in his mind the only reason twitter is popular is because of him.

Also while it certainly sounds plausible given the way he has reacted to things in the past,I remain skeptical given the source.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2016, 14:23 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 13:53:
the you-know-what test...

Fertility test?

A Turing test, can Blue tell if it's a human doctor or a sophisticated android that links to WebMD.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2016, 11:46 Pigeon

I've heard the true story behind the McDonald's coffee thing before, but it's a great example of how omitting key facts from a story and making some implications can completely turn people's perception of the event and outcome. I was too young to care at the time so I don't remember how the news first reported it, but it certainly became (unfairly) a poster child for frivolous lawsuits that paid out.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 09:50 Pigeon

I remember having to get a pass through cable made for my card. The supplied one was too short, and for some reason (It's too long ago to remember why) off the shelf male to male VGA cables didn't work. Sure made Quake II look nice though.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 14, 2016, 11:53 Pigeon

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 14, 2016, 11:28:
I read it and it lines up with what I have suspected all along that we, the US, is on the losing side of the "cyberwar".

Our politicians are too clueless to understand the breadth of the problem, and too willing to use the results for political leverage. Honestly they didn't even need the details, just putting forth a vague implication that wrong doing had occurred based on out of context statements. What was actually the worst thing in those emails? Probably Donna Brazile leaking a debate question to Hillary's aide and that was the least focused on aspect.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2016, 20:52 Pigeon

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 19:53:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 11:07:
Which one of those squares in Al Gore's house ? Also I take it operating in the glacial tundra that is Wisconsin in the winter is the only way the battery in a hover board won't overheat and explode.

AFAIK Al Gore's involvement was in legislation that gave the public access to the internet (instead of the internet being a defense-and-related only closed program).

-scheherazade

Right, but I still find his comment funny taken out of context, and even in context it's a little grandiose, or at the very least oddly worded.

2369 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo