Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1899 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2015, 13:39 Pigeon

Another good week for football, some surprising upset in the Packers/Bears and Broncos/Pats games. Enjoyed watching the terrible Lions blowout the completely incompetent Eagles. A lot of tough picks with teams hovering around .500 squaring off this week. I expect the Pats to run up the score against the Eagles though, they usually come back strong after a loss and the Eagles are an easy target for a whipping boy.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: 2009-2015 does not make a year Nov 30, 2015, 13:18 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:41:
I think it's even worse than that.. likely the problems were known since these cars were first designed.. and I REALLY doubt the other manufacturers are any different when it comes to diesel engines.

Ps.: Can't wait for the robotic formula E, these things can do moves that no human could.

I know Mazda had/has been trying to release a diesel on the US market for a few years now, but couldn't meet the emissions standards while maintaining a competitive price/performance ratio. Apparently neither could VW, but instead of not releasing a car, they cheated.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
7. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 13:10 Pigeon

I've not noticed any issues with mine, but I've not really looked. I'll have to do some testing check temps when I get home. Really sucks for the people who lost cards from this. If they're out of warranty I doubt they'll get any compensation.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VI PC Listing
5. Re: FINAL FANTASY VI PC Listing Nov 30, 2015, 11:19 Pigeon

sauron wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:27:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:40:
My favorite FF game. Actually, the only one I like... But damn, stop putting it on everything. Unless you're going to make a graphically updated version, which I highly doubt. I mean, we've had emulators for a loooong time.

Yes, I was thinking exactly this.

Hopefully its not the android/ios version which was apparently atrocious. I would love a graphically updated version, maybe with some extra dungeons and fleshed out in a few areas.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 23:07 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 22:08:
nin wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 20:36:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 18:14:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 17:22:
Midichlorians were a completely unnecessary inclusion that just added a layer of complication in an attempt to explain why some could use the force and others couldn't.
Exactly. Midichlorians alone are nearly sufficient to call for Lucus's execution. No explanation was necessary.

It took the magic out of it. Instead of being some sort of spiritual or otherworldly connection to the universe that anyone could potentially have (thus, drawing the audience in), it now only applied if you had something in your blood. And if you didn't have this thing in you blood, you were never going to make that connection. Ever.

I would be more than a little surprised if the word is ever mentioned again, post Disney buyout. I certainly hope it isn't.

well put. the mitochondrions...sorry... midichlorians were mentioned a few times in the clone wars animated series, but it felt like by and large they were distancing themselves as much as possible from them. really good series btw if you haven't watched it. season 1 was hokey kids stuff which turned me away when it first aired, but season 2 onward gets really good. just binged the whole series last week, couldn't break myself away.

I had a similar experience with Clone Wars, stopped watching it mid-way through because of it being too kiddy and the episode order being completely fucked. But at the insistence by someone on the forums that the show got better I picked up where I left off and didn't regret as bit of it. I certainly liked the Anakin in the cartoons way more than the one in the movies...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 17:22 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 14:23:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 13:23:
...the Empire rising up in like 20 years during which time Obi-Wan turns into an old man,

I'd never thought of that one, great now there's one more thing that'll bother me about my favorite movie series. The prequels created a real mess for continuity and believability. A lot of which could have been avoided with some relatively minor changes to the prequel plot. Though I am left to wonder how much of the original trilogy's mystery and intrigue were just plot holes swept under the carpet by others involved with the film.

You're expecting logic when you have concepts like the Force - which is created by bacteria? Or that the most powerful battle station in the galaxy can be destroyed by shooting some lasers down a single hole? Star Wars was never meant to be anything other than theme park style fun.

I expect a level of logic yes. Sci-fi and fantasy need to make the unbelievable believable in respects to the world they take place in. When you have a series of continuity problems and plot holes it detracts from that believability. The Force as a concept works well in the original trilogy because it is presented as a mystery to both the audience and the characters. Midichlorians were a completely unnecessary inclusion that just added a layer of complication in an attempt to explain why some could use the force and others couldn't. But as a complaint that pales in comparison to Anakin's turning, the galactic wide amnesia that takes place in the 19 years between episodes III and IV, and everything JarJar. As you pointed out the originals certainly had their problems, but they were less glaring than the prequels.

mag wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 16:11:
I always had the idea in my head of the Clone Wars being this decades-long thing, and the slow transition from Republic to Empire happening over a really long time. And the Clone Wars being a long-in-the-past thing. Like, Force-users would age more slowly, right? Hence Yoda being 900. And then it's like twenty years, and... the fuck.

I think that's what most people had imagined given the way things were presented in the original films, and probably would have made a lot more sense in most respects. At the very least the Clone Wars could have been the climax to a decades long war.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 13:23 Pigeon

...the Empire rising up in like 20 years during which time Obi-Wan turns into an old man,

I'd never thought of that one, great now there's one more thing that'll bother me about my favorite movie series. The prequels created a real mess for continuity and believability. A lot of which could have been avoided with some relatively minor changes to the prequel plot. Though I am left to wonder how much of the original trilogy's mystery and intrigue were just plot holes swept under the carpet by others involved with the film.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 23:36 Pigeon

bigspender wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 19:18:
I'm not sure I see the big deal in this. I'm driving the car out in public after all, if somebody followed me and made notes I'd think it's weird, but I couldn't care less otherwise.

I wouldn't want it to be recording my conversations or recording me while I pick my nose at the traffic lights, but other than that, why are people so opposed to it? (genuine curious)

If someone was constantly following you and making notes you would probably be calling the police, not just thinking its weird.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 15:21 Pigeon

It'll require something at the legislative level for this to stop. Buying a product should not entitle the product's company to unlimited data gathering without consent. And no, buying the product should not be considered consent. Nobody buys a car so it can phone home their driving habits, location/destinations, and contacts. Stalking you like a psychotic ex-girlfriend you've got a restraining order against isn't in the features set for a BMW, I've looked. Unfortunately I don't see much changing until corporations' grip on politicians can be loosened.  

News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?
13. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 27, 2015, 17:33 Pigeon

As others have said it's scummy, but its a pretty widespread practice in the retail sector. Clothing is probably the worst, I've noticed on a number of occasions old price tags with the old non-sale price covered up, which is decidedly lower than than the price getting discounted; so that 60% off is more like 25% off. Best to have an idea of what things cost before getting hooked by a sale. Not saying people don't have a right to be upset at such practices, they should be, just don't believe everything you're told.  

News Comments > On Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Support
13. Re: On Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Support Nov 25, 2015, 16:16 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 13:41:
Dev wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 12:02:
I've been waiting for a deep steam sale. Maybe others have too. I own everything Space Battles 1 already.
Same. Apparently we waited a bit too long. Although the obvious question arises, is the game in good working order right now, as of whatever the last patch was?

If it's buggy, failed to reasonably live up to promises, and/or just terrible I can kind of understand people being upset, but at the same time the game is $7.50 on steam right now 50% off. How long do you expect the guy to support it; buy the game for less than $10 and he owes people support for life? No company does that. Some AAA games barely get support 2 months out and cost 4x this game's asking price. Maybe someone who has played the game can comment, but from what I see this is a reasonable move on his part. Then again, the internet and reasonable have the whole oil and water thing going.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Debut
1. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Debut Nov 24, 2015, 11:43 Pigeon

Well took forever to install, but nothing obviously broken so far, that's a plus. New UI is okay, doesn't seem anymore functional than the previous UI.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: MST3K Revived... Nov 21, 2015, 15:48 Pigeon

HUZZAH!  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2015, 08:40 Pigeon

“Blizzard now possesses the whole Stormbuddy source code. There was no permission given by Bossland GmbH, nor were we contacted by Activision Blizzard, nor had Apoc the rights to give out our intellectual property.”

Intellectual property that is designed to infringe upon, and profit off of Blizzard's intellectual property. They've got an up hill battle with that one.

Also my favorite quote:
Today Blizzard acted in a manner as shady as possible for a multi-billion-dollar corporation.
'And we're experts on being shady'

News Comments > No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support
11. Re: No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support Nov 19, 2015, 21:33 Pigeon

Translation: Our guys and graphics card dudes were like, 'this is a huge mess, it's going to take a lot time and money to fix'. And our money crunchers were like, 'No way in hell we'll make money back on this.' So we were like FUCK IT, lets make some nipple armor DLC and sell it to the console kids instead.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 11:41 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 11:10:
If it flops that was a lot of failed time from the moving desks, that could have been HL3 dev time.

What, you've never had a big project to do and decided everything else had to be done before you could properly start working on it? 'Boy I never noticed how dirty the ceiling is, I should probably clean, sand and repaint that before I can get started on this report.'

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 18, 2015, 22:49 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 22:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 20:12:
Be interested in those benches.

Yup, but mostly interested in the 250-300$ segment of the same chipset benches. If they finally managed to QUADRUPLE the performance of similarly priced cards from almost SIX YEARS AGO now.

Yup, Moore's prediction is dying...

They say first half of 2016, I'm thinking maybe sooner than later in that first half. Card prices are pretty cheap right now, I suspect retailers are trying to reduce inventory of older cards before the new ones arrive next year.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 18, 2015, 14:47 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 13:50:
InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 12:44:
Choice and consequence was a staple of the previous games. No longer it seems?

It's like a JJ Abrams movie where there are several layers of plot or, in this case, dialogue but only one is fully fleshed out to create an often underwhelming payoff. Like the 5 things video above, you play as a very narrow character who can only go as far as being a jerk because he's the heroic dad looking for his son.

In one case, I introduced myself to the Railroad because I wanted to fill out my quest log but, once you meet them, you HAVE to join them regardless of the dialogue options in order to finish that chain. You can say no but it really means 'not now'. Being a member of the Brotherhood and even being acknowledged by a Railroader (?) as a member should have given me an option to tell them to piss off with their 'Free Synths' ways or eat a lead salad.

I mean, I could have just untracked the quest chain at that point but that's the poor man's way of saying no.

That sounds very unfallout like, actually very unlike Bethesda. Were they secretly bought out by EA or Activision? Honestly I usually the follow good guy try to help everyone path, but I like the option to be bad. If I find a faction annoying sometimes its nice to erase their existence from the game.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers
5. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers Nov 17, 2015, 13:30 Pigeon

Hopefully this'll give Fallout 4 FPS a big boost on AMD systems. From reading around it seems there were some issues beyond God Rays not running as well on AMD GPUs. Mainly big frame drops coinciding with a drop in GPU utilization.  

News Comments > Disgaea on Steam "Soon"
1. Re: Disgaea on Steam Nov 17, 2015, 13:21 Pigeon

I'll have to at least put this on my wishlist; I've had a few friends who have harped about this being a great series for the last 10+ years.  

1899 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo