Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1850 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 10, 2015, 09:53 Pigeon

I have an excellent memory... for useless information that I can't use to my benefit.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week
4. Re: PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week Dec 8, 2015, 21:56 Pigeon

Cram wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:39:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:21:
The Pyro wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 20:47:
My favorite FF ever! Unfortunately I've already played it so much that I don't think I could bring myself to do another run-through; there's just not that much character customization. Still, if you're nostalgic for JRPGs and never got around to trying FF6 then go for it!

I still listen to the orchestral versions of the music on a fairly regular basis. Some of Uematsu's best work IMO.

EDIT: Listen to Dancing Mad for example.

You know what? I've listened to dozens of remixes of that song and the best one is still the original. It was designed for the SNES sound chip. The music in that game is great overall. It's also the only FF game I like. But like you, there's no way I can bring myself to play it again.

The Black Mages remix came close, in particular the electric guitar solo'ish part during the final/Kefka phase part of the piece. However, I agree. The original has never been surpassed by any remix, from OCRemix to Uematsu's remixing attempts himself.

Looks like it's the mobile port, PASS. I have the original and the PS1 version, so not sure why I'd waste my time with a half-assed mobile version.

Like the link though, the SNES music was amazing, but I can appreciate remixes. Kefka's probably my favorite of the FF villains, no emo background just straight up psychotic. No long winded speeches before he tries to destroy the world giving the heroes a chance to regroup and intervene, he just does it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 11:52 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 10:25:
it's also weird how consistently the leaders pick better than everyone else. i would think beyond a certain point (that a lot of us football fans are past) that it's all just statistical noise, but the names on the espn leaderboard are almost always the same dudes all season long.

I think there's some level of skill to it, paying attention to injuries knowing who plays well against what team, but I think its mostly luck. Get 2 or 3 good weeks, and then do average or just above average and you'll stay ahead of everyone else.

"Finally met the love of my life, and get banned from the rest of the CON and lose two more $100 photo ops with him because I lost my mind... got so excited standing beside him... and just turned my head and bit him!"

She then urinated on the carpet and whimpered for 4 straight hours.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4
16. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Using Unreal Engine 4 Dec 8, 2015, 09:47 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 05:06:
Devinoch wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 22:04:
I mean, if they had to remake one, why didn't they remake best-in-class FF6 rather than one of the most overwrought entries in the series? Oh. Right. Nostalgia value only.

Carry on, as you were.

No one was really clamoring for a FF6 remake like they were for FF7.

6, 7, and 10 are probably the most played titles of each generation. 6 ages well because the pretty sprites are kind of timeless. A remake in modern graphics could never recapture the feeling and would have to take a lot of liberties with the art style. (Look at the concept art for some of the FF6 characters. They look way better as sprites...)

10 is newer, already fully 3D, fully voice acted, and was best served with just a Remaster.

7 is in the middle. Visually, it doesn't hold up well being a very early attempt at 3D with 2D backdrops. It isn't voice acted. It could do with some new dialogue.

In short, the demand is there, and it's a good candidate for a remake, lacking a lot of the potential downsides of remaking something like 6.

I liked the remake of FF-IV for the DS. Greatly improved visuals, increased difficulty, some new dungeons and secret items, better translation with fan favorites (spoony bard) left in, and some added mechanics. They could easily do the same with FF6.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Dec 7, 2015, 22:10 Pigeon

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 19:10:
Wow, didn't know that lyric was based on an actual person. Pretty cool!

The whole song is about real people. Apparently Little Joe was with her at the time of death, at least according to the article.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 14:06 Pigeon

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 13:47:
I think a good case was made that the problem with Lucas isn't that he lost his touch or soul but that he's always needed to be filtered. He's a wonderfully creative guy on paper but someone else needs to put it on screen. Some of the stuff he wanted to do for IV was batshit insane too, budgetary and creative interference weeded out the dumb bits. I don't think it's a coincidence the universally agreed on two best movies of the 6 happened to be the ones he was least in control of.

This has always been the explanation that made the most sense to me. Extremely creative, but needs someone to focus that creativity into something salient. In interviews I've seen with him I get the impression he had a lot more leeway with the prequels than he did with the original films, particularly episode I which I think most people would agree is the worst of the series.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2015, 13:59 Pigeon

...the last decade has allowed dislike for the prequels to sour into petty disdain. And they donít deserve it...

...Yes, Jar Jar was terrible (from his language to his antics to his CG depiction), Jake Lloyd was not the greatest child actor, and the dialogue ranged from wooden to cheesy to downright silly.

The writer almost immediately gives reasons to thwart her own stance. But we can add to the list of reasons with Midichlorians, the force middle-men nobody wanted, CGI that meshed poorly, plot holes you wouldn't have any trouble bulls-eyeing with a T16 Skyhopper, and almost everything that was Anakin through all 3 series. I hesitate to blame Jake Loyd or Hayden Christensen because most of my problems seemed to be with poor dialogue and character development. Which delves into the next point Kelly puts forth as to why people unfairly hate on the prequels.

The prequels tell a different kind of story than the original trilogy told, which was jarring for many fans. Instead of a heroís journey to victory, they depict a heroís fall from grace, a tragedy that is harder to bring to life onscreen.

The fall from grace story was the story everyone expected, and wanted. The problem was the execution of that story. The reasoning behind Anakin's fall is pretty tenuous and his near instant 180 degree change is pretty unbelievable. The character comes off as shallow and unlikable, and when there's a chance for development we get some shoe horned whiny monologue about sand. The sad part is the Clone Wars cartoon series did a much better job developing the character than anything in the movies. In my opinion I could have overlooked a lot of the other problems with the movies had Anakin not been so fundamentally unlikable.

Also I know many disagree with my, but I thought the duel between Dooku and Yoda was a tad on the goofy side.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Prenda lawyer must sell condo Dec 5, 2015, 10:18 Pigeon

Quboid wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 22:16:
Ha ha!

That's immediately what came to mind when read this story.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2015, 11:56 Pigeon

I was feeling pretty dumb about picking Green Bay last night, had to go to bed before the game finished, but watching replays I remember why I made the pick. Rodgers^2 Hail Mary with the clock at 0:00, that's a tough way to lose. I feel bad for the Lions fans, the look on their faces after that was like they'd just been told their dog had died. That was a pretty weak face-mask call, but you don't do anything that might give Rodgers another chance at making a play.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 3, 2015, 13:26 Pigeon

Red wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 13:04:
I think they see the continued success of the iPhone, which lacks removable battery and SD, and think that must be what customers want. And went that route. But the iPhone is successful despite not having removable battery/SD. Though personally, I'd never want my phone to have removable battery/SD just because that means more holes to collect lint and more brackets to wear out. But that's a feature Samsung had and should not have forsaken.

Removable meaning you pull off the back-plate and can then remove them; it's not removable in the sense you have external slots on the phone these things go into.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2015, 10:01 Pigeon

Good to know others are stepping up to help. I'm sure Express Scripts reasons for doing this isn't wholly out of the goodness of their hearts, but it's leaps and bounds above being the poster boy for profiteering off of human misery and suffering.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2015, 13:39 Pigeon

Another good week for football, some surprising upset in the Packers/Bears and Broncos/Pats games. Enjoyed watching the terrible Lions blowout the completely incompetent Eagles. A lot of tough picks with teams hovering around .500 squaring off this week. I expect the Pats to run up the score against the Eagles though, they usually come back strong after a loss and the Eagles are an easy target for a whipping boy.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: 2009-2015 does not make a year Nov 30, 2015, 13:18 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:41:
I think it's even worse than that.. likely the problems were known since these cars were first designed.. and I REALLY doubt the other manufacturers are any different when it comes to diesel engines.

Ps.: Can't wait for the robotic formula E, these things can do moves that no human could.

I know Mazda had/has been trying to release a diesel on the US market for a few years now, but couldn't meet the emissions standards while maintaining a competitive price/performance ratio. Apparently neither could VW, but instead of not releasing a car, they cheated.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
7. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 13:10 Pigeon

I've not noticed any issues with mine, but I've not really looked. I'll have to do some testing check temps when I get home. Really sucks for the people who lost cards from this. If they're out of warranty I doubt they'll get any compensation.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VI PC Listing
5. Re: FINAL FANTASY VI PC Listing Nov 30, 2015, 11:19 Pigeon

sauron wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:27:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:40:
My favorite FF game. Actually, the only one I like... But damn, stop putting it on everything. Unless you're going to make a graphically updated version, which I highly doubt. I mean, we've had emulators for a loooong time.

Yes, I was thinking exactly this.

Hopefully its not the android/ios version which was apparently atrocious. I would love a graphically updated version, maybe with some extra dungeons and fleshed out in a few areas.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 23:07 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 22:08:
nin wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 20:36:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 18:14:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 17:22:
Midichlorians were a completely unnecessary inclusion that just added a layer of complication in an attempt to explain why some could use the force and others couldn't.
Exactly. Midichlorians alone are nearly sufficient to call for Lucus's execution. No explanation was necessary.

It took the magic out of it. Instead of being some sort of spiritual or otherworldly connection to the universe that anyone could potentially have (thus, drawing the audience in), it now only applied if you had something in your blood. And if you didn't have this thing in you blood, you were never going to make that connection. Ever.

I would be more than a little surprised if the word is ever mentioned again, post Disney buyout. I certainly hope it isn't.

well put. the mitochondrions...sorry... midichlorians were mentioned a few times in the clone wars animated series, but it felt like by and large they were distancing themselves as much as possible from them. really good series btw if you haven't watched it. season 1 was hokey kids stuff which turned me away when it first aired, but season 2 onward gets really good. just binged the whole series last week, couldn't break myself away.

I had a similar experience with Clone Wars, stopped watching it mid-way through because of it being too kiddy and the episode order being completely fucked. But at the insistence by someone on the forums that the show got better I picked up where I left off and didn't regret as bit of it. I certainly liked the Anakin in the cartoons way more than the one in the movies...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 17:22 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 14:23:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 13:23:
...the Empire rising up in like 20 years during which time Obi-Wan turns into an old man,

I'd never thought of that one, great now there's one more thing that'll bother me about my favorite movie series. The prequels created a real mess for continuity and believability. A lot of which could have been avoided with some relatively minor changes to the prequel plot. Though I am left to wonder how much of the original trilogy's mystery and intrigue were just plot holes swept under the carpet by others involved with the film.

You're expecting logic when you have concepts like the Force - which is created by bacteria? Or that the most powerful battle station in the galaxy can be destroyed by shooting some lasers down a single hole? Star Wars was never meant to be anything other than theme park style fun.

I expect a level of logic yes. Sci-fi and fantasy need to make the unbelievable believable in respects to the world they take place in. When you have a series of continuity problems and plot holes it detracts from that believability. The Force as a concept works well in the original trilogy because it is presented as a mystery to both the audience and the characters. Midichlorians were a completely unnecessary inclusion that just added a layer of complication in an attempt to explain why some could use the force and others couldn't. But as a complaint that pales in comparison to Anakin's turning, the galactic wide amnesia that takes place in the 19 years between episodes III and IV, and everything JarJar. As you pointed out the originals certainly had their problems, but they were less glaring than the prequels.

mag wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 16:11:
I always had the idea in my head of the Clone Wars being this decades-long thing, and the slow transition from Republic to Empire happening over a really long time. And the Clone Wars being a long-in-the-past thing. Like, Force-users would age more slowly, right? Hence Yoda being 900. And then it's like twenty years, and... the fuck.

I think that's what most people had imagined given the way things were presented in the original films, and probably would have made a lot more sense in most respects. At the very least the Clone Wars could have been the climax to a decades long war.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 13:23 Pigeon

...the Empire rising up in like 20 years during which time Obi-Wan turns into an old man,

I'd never thought of that one, great now there's one more thing that'll bother me about my favorite movie series. The prequels created a real mess for continuity and believability. A lot of which could have been avoided with some relatively minor changes to the prequel plot. Though I am left to wonder how much of the original trilogy's mystery and intrigue were just plot holes swept under the carpet by others involved with the film.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 23:36 Pigeon

bigspender wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 19:18:
I'm not sure I see the big deal in this. I'm driving the car out in public after all, if somebody followed me and made notes I'd think it's weird, but I couldn't care less otherwise.

I wouldn't want it to be recording my conversations or recording me while I pick my nose at the traffic lights, but other than that, why are people so opposed to it? (genuine curious)

If someone was constantly following you and making notes you would probably be calling the police, not just thinking its weird.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 15:21 Pigeon

It'll require something at the legislative level for this to stop. Buying a product should not entitle the product's company to unlimited data gathering without consent. And no, buying the product should not be considered consent. Nobody buys a car so it can phone home their driving habits, location/destinations, and contacts. Stalking you like a psychotic ex-girlfriend you've got a restraining order against isn't in the features set for a BMW, I've looked. Unfortunately I don't see much changing until corporations' grip on politicians can be loosened.  

1850 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo