Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1901 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: parking a truck Jan 22, 2016, 11:41 Pigeon

Well shit, pretty sure that's the passenger flying out at 8 seconds in; probably what the driver was running to. Seat-belts, they're not for show.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM 2 Mods with Launch
4. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 21:27 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 21:13:
Wetworks24 wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 18:56:
I already pre-ordered my copy. From watching all the gameplay videos this is a pretty safe bet if you were a fan of Enemy Unknown. Day 1 mod support is just icing on the cake.

Well, based off the last game and expansion, the vanilla game will be pretty to very good, and the Long War mod will probably make it amazing. It's not really surprising that they brought the Long War guys in like this, they really added a lot to EU/EW, plus the Firaxis guys talked up the Long War mod quite a bit the past year or two.

Currently playing the Long War mod and it pretty much hits all the things I thought would make the game better. Awesome news those guys are already working on mods for XCOM2.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2016, 12:54 Pigeon

Kxmode wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 12:20:
harlock wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:24:
finally a petition worth getting behind

Kanye West petition: Over 20,000 people sign protest against rapper recording David Bowie tribute album

Absolutely! I definitely agree on that.

Here's a list of artists I would much rather see doing a David Bowie tribute album:

- Lykke Li (Her "Hold On, We're Going Home" Drake cover is incredible),
- Kimbra (she's like Amy Winehouse without the emotional baggage. Check out "Goldmine" and a live rendition of "Two Way Street".),
- Beck (his discography shows a range of musical styles that would pay homage to Mr. Bowie)
- Pharrell ("Happy" as a song achieved two firsts: First 24-hour music video and created a world wide movement with all those "Happy in" videos on Youtube.)
- Tom Holkenborg (a.k.a. Junkie XL) (His Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack is amazing; check out "Brother In Arms" and "Survive".)
- Daft Punk (I believe these gents are the ONLY duo who would do Bowie's music justice electronically)
- Hans Zimmer (because his music is simply amazing. Check out "Day One". Imagine a cover of Major Tom with Han's signature style and Kimbra's powerful singing.)

After hearing his crappy cover of Bohemian Rhapsody we can only hope the petition spurs congress to pass legislation banning Kanye from ruining any other classics.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 20, 2016, 21:17 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 21:11:
Aka the "We're making so much bank off this first one, we're going to milk it as long as we can!" move.

George Lucas is going to be so pissed when Disney makes their entire purchase price back in a single movie.

Probably, but then again he's got 4 billion to dry his tears with.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2016, 10:10 Pigeon

Shkreli's (former) legal team probably told him he was fucked, and the best tactic was to attempt to reduce sentencing. The guy sounds like a narcissistic sleaze, hopefully he can't weasel out of this.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2016, 23:10 Pigeon

Gotta hand it to the telecos, they are masters of finding ways to have their cake and eat it too... mostly by eating someone else's cake.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2016, 14:47 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 12:04:
Great games, couldn't ask for better playoffs outside of that Houston game.

Apologies for that game, I've sent letters to all the appropriate people demanding Hoyer's immediate termination. Maybe we'll get a decent QB in the off season so we don't have to go through 4 starting QBs in 2016.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2016, 14:49 Pigeon

55% of future market direction predictions are made up by blind guessing based off of overly optimistic expectations.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2016, 19:04 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 14:11:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 13:34:
I get really annoyed when things break through normal use when relatively new. Unless its within that narrow window where you can still return things your SoL and your money. Even though I know it's often due to variations in production and model I'm usually done with brand when that happens. I understand you're reasoning trying the brand again though.

On a similar note, anyone know of a good pair of in-ear ear-buds for jogging? The wire on the plug end always seems to get messed up causing sound to go in and out when I jog. I saw a pair of Klipsch that promised to be durable, but it came with some Apple specific crap and a disclaimer on the website said sound quality could suffer on non apple products. I'm just using a small media player. Not looking to spend more than $60.

Also I've heard enough advice and opinions on what to do with or what they would do with 1.4 billion to know most people are terrible with money. I don't know if there's a specific term for it, but it reminds of a concept dealing with knowledge and expertise. Basically stating that a person needs a certain amount of knowledge about a subject to understand how much they don't know about the subject. Apparently most people don't know jack-shit about finances.

The "quality will suffer on non apple products" is pure horseshit. As for your jogging problems, you could try a clip at the neckline, holding the wire in place, this will avoid the sounds coming from the friction on the wire and will prevent the wire from tugging at the earplugs and the plug end. As for the plug end, once you got a clip at the neck line, just have it loose on the smartphone encased in a belt clip or waist-pouch.

As for a model, any model will do, but if you're concerned with a good price/quality ratio, I'd recommend the Sennheiser CX300IIs. I got them for around 60$ CAN 2 years ago, they're around 40$ US on Amazon now, they sound great ( I found my nirvana at those settings in JetAudioPlus on Android: klipsch image S4 Bongiovi DPS setting, Crystalizer ON but minimum setting, AM3D Z-bass at 0, but still ON and Z-Treble 80, X-bass at 100, AGC at 0 in normal settings, equalizer at -10 DBs preamp and -10 DBs on every setting except 1.8k and 3.4k at -9, 5.7k and 9k at -8 and 13k at -7, you can also switch to 20 channel band and crank the highend, 16k, treble at 0 for those crisp drum cymbals ) and are very well built, they don't show a single hint of breaking down even tho I was absolutely ruthless with them.

CX300II on Amazon

Thanks, I'll check those out, they sound good. I need to look into getting a new MP3 player too, the battery life on my Sony Walkman is terrible. It does everything I need it too, it's just under 2oz so very light for jogging, but doesn't hold a charge for much longer than 24 hours in it's "off" state. Even a few months after getting it I started to notice significant battery drain when "off".

PHJF wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 14:33:
Earbuds will not stay in when running without extra support, unless your idea of running is a 5mph brisk walk. Sennheiser PX 100 is the best for reasonably cheap and lightweight phones without sacrificing audio quality.

The in-ear ear-buds seem to stay put just fine for me, while I'm certainly not going to set any land-speed records, I would categorize my pace as a good bit faster than a brisk walk. Probably just comes down to individual differences. Sennhesier sounds like the way to go though, good price + quality, certainly going to be at the top of my list.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2016, 13:34 Pigeon

I get really annoyed when things break through normal use when relatively new. Unless its within that narrow window where you can still return things your SoL and your money. Even though I know it's often due to variations in production and model I'm usually done with that brand when that happens. I understand you're reasoning trying the brand again though.

On a similar note, anyone know of a good pair of in-ear ear-buds for jogging? The wire on the plug end always seems to get messed up causing sound to go in and out when I jog. I saw a pair of Klipsch that promised to be durable, but it came with some Apple specific crap and a disclaimer on the website said sound quality could suffer on non apple products. I'm just using a small media player. Not looking to spend more than $60.

Also I've heard enough advice and opinions on what to do with or what they would do with 1.4 billion to know most people are terrible with money. I don't know if there's a specific term for it, but it reminds of a concept dealing with knowledge and expertise. Basically stating that a person needs a certain amount of knowledge about a subject to understand how much they don't know about the subject. Apparently most people don't know jack-shit about finances.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2016, 14:06.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2016, 10:38 Pigeon

Watched the Texans game with some friends, that was brutal. The score was close for most of the game, but the 'feels like' score was more like 0-50. The one time it seemed like the offense was getting back into the game Hoyer throws an interception right at the goal line. He has to go; he may have the occasional good game, but he has far more terrible games.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2016, 10:44.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 11, 2016, 08:33 Pigeon

I didn't care for the presentation; it came together at the end, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the story feeling so disjointed.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 13:42 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 13:26:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 13:21:
Least Avatar had a better story.

I know, right? That story was pretty derivative itself, but not anywhere near TFA.

I know it's subjective, but Avatar's story was puerile. There was no subtlety to anything in its story. TFA is certainly not a shining beacon of cinematic story telling, how much it borrowed from previous films was annoying, but the how the story was told was done well. Avatar might as well have been a cheese sandwich.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX Steam Plans
10. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX Steam Plans Jan 7, 2016, 08:28 Pigeon

Kajetan wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 03:27:
sauron wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 22:54:
One of my favorite FF games - will probably pick it up on release.
Please wait a few months. SE has the tendency to fuck up nearly every PC port of a FF game.

I'll probably nab it too, but I'm in no rush. Currently playing the Long War mod for xcom, so depending on how soon 'soon' is, I may still be engaged with that. I'll be sure to check out reviews and comments to make sure it isn't a buggy pile of dog excrement though.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2016, 14:43 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 13:40:
If I lived in a NFL/MLB city (I don't) I would never vote to approve the use tax dollars to build them a stadium. Building stadiums for millionaires (if not billionaires) doesn't make the list of things that need to be done with tax dollars.

I think this has been posted here before but John Oliver breaks it down pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2016, 13:31 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 12:07:
Congrats Pigeon. Cool that it came down to the very last game.

After leading by 1 or 2 points for most of the year I thought I was going to lose it on the last day. My secret was to pick the teams that win. Honestly though I feel most of it was luck, had a couple of really good weeks early on and then I was consistent enough to stay at the top; a lot of tough competition though. So now the important question, where's my prize? It's in over-sized novelty check form right ?

In all seriousness though it was a good season, and my team made it to the playoffs which seemed extremely unlikely at the start of the season. Though that is in no small part due to the rest AFC south being just awful. Unfortunately I don't foresee advancement, unless Brian 'the concussion' Hoyer can really step it up. If only we played the Bengals for the first playoff game...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 09:54 Pigeon

It doesn't even have an OS ingrained app store 90% full of freemium crap. How can you even use the internet without Cortana spying collecting data on your usage so it can deliver you the ads valued content you seek.

I was wondering if AMD was going to have an offering to compete with Pascal. Well good luck to them.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 3, 2016, 17:19 Pigeon

The fact you can even blow 4k on a kid's game is ridiculous.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2016, 12:40 Pigeon

El Pit wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 12:23:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 12:12:
I think we should also be focusing on auto fatalities/accidents, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better way to handle our gun violence issue. I do find it amazing how much resistance there is to cellphone/texting bans when the data shows how similar it is to driving under the influence. When I see someone all over the road now I don't assume they're drunk I assume they're on the phone; which is usually confirmed with a visual check.

Focusing on auto fatalities and accidents, TOO, is of course right. Problem: it would mean to take away personal liberty from the drivers, like built-in and unblockable speed control. Or a GPS transmitter in every car so the driver can get his ass sued for speeding. Who would really want that no matter how many lifes would be saved?

You don't need to go to those lengths to address the problem. A more stringent licensure process, bans on texting and non-hands free phone use and better enforcement/higher penalties for those actually breaking the laws.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2016, 12:12 Pigeon

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 10:54:
Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 10:28:
Nucas wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 10:18:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 12:20:
A dickhead drunk driver totaled my brother's SUV and another brand new car while parked right before midnight, last night, before crashing about a hundred meters down the road.

I'm sure he'll get his wrist slapped real hard though.

i hear this expressed a lot and i wonder if people know what really happens. one of my management staff got a DUI this summer. all told he ended up owing over 10,000 dollars and lost his license for one year; can't even drive to work. he can apply for a conditional work license in 6 months, and may qualify for it after the 10th month.

Without knowing what state you live in, I'm going to guess this was not the guy's first offense. It seems unlikely they revoke your license for a year your first DUI offense, but this may vary from state to state.

And I'm sorry, thousands of people DIE due to drunk (or high, whatever) drivers, and it seems that in the large majority of cases, it's never the fucking shitwallet who chooses to drive drunk who dies. It's always the innocent person with the three children in the back seat who buys it.

DUI should be treated as fucking attempted murder if you get into a wreck. It is ridiculous how lax we are against it considering the amount of fatalities it causes each and every single year.

If you can't have the fucking willpower to NOT drive after you've had too much to drink, your "contribution to society" can easily be done without.

At the risk of angering the anti-gun people on Blues, this is why I laugh every time Obama gives crocodile tears on the TV about "gun violence" and vows to do something if it would help just one child!

Meanwhile every asshole in the country has a car whether or not they have a license to drive it and motor vehicle accidents kill way more people every year. I drive to work through Charlotte rush hour every day and every. Single. Fucking. Day. I see at LEAST one person pull some stupid ass driving stunt that could potentially kill a bunch of people. Most days there are major accidents that fuck up traffic even more, and you know it's because some dickwad was driving just like that.

And then they go out and drink and get behind the wheel. To hard on DUIs? Fuck that. I think the immediate punishment should be the officer wailing on your genitals with a baton until you puke them up, and then we go from there.

I think we should also be focusing on auto fatalities/accidents, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better way to handle our gun violence issue. I do find it amazing how much resistance there is to cellphone/texting bans when the data shows how similar it is to driving under the influence. When I see someone all over the road now I don't assume they're drunk I assume they're on the phone; which is usually confirmed with a visual check.

1901 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo