Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2002 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 15:44 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 14:15:
I don't get how others even notice other people texting, it's silent and the light is inconsequential. Seems like angry transit guy while others talk on their phones, they stew. Focus on your life.

In a dark room where the only source of light is supposed to be the screen, it's very distracting. Part of life is being aware of the environment around you, your impact on it and its impact on you, so I'd say it's the texters that need to focus on life.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 12:33 Pigeon

Zoopster wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 12:21:
I don't even know why an explanation is needed. If you text during a movie, you're a douche. Period.

I just find it amazing people can't go without using their phone for 2 hours. I'd say it's because I remember when cellphones were not ubiquitous and everything was just fine, but there are plenty of people older than I who seem completely unable to put their phone down. I've never been to an Alamo draft house, but I certainly appreciate their firm stance on this issue. Though there needs to be a broader effort toward the movement of, 'stop being a self centered douche and have some consideration for those around you.'

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX on PC
24. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 22:33 Pigeon

MattyC wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 13:49:
Pigeon wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 13:36:
FF VIII: Maybe I'll come back to this one some day, but I was so bored I found I had to force myself to play it. Best thing about it was the card game because it was more enjoyable than the actual game.

Was it the draw system? If so, I can completely understand. Squall was an extreme emo kid, but I could look past that for the combat and the remainder of the story. That draw system though? I have no idea who OK'd that. For me though it still goes:

'3/6', 7, and Tactics (all more or less equal)
GBA Tactics, Tactics A2, and 8
Andddd then all the rest.

Yeah the draw system was one of the things. It's been awhile since I played so I can't remember everything that bugged me, but it kept me from getting into it.

9. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 13:36 Pigeon

MattyC wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 13:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 12:54:
Well I never played it and many people say it was substantially the best FF game... we'll see.

While I think the stories and villains were perhaps better in 3/6 and 7, I would agree that in many way s 9 was superior. The return to the 4 team combat was a welcome change, VIVI was an awesome character that brought back great memories for most, and it just had a generally solid combat system.

At the end of the day 7 still wins me over for the materia system (and the customization options it brought), story, and music. That said, 9's soundtrack was no joke.

Ranking the FF games I've played Most to least favorite

• FF VI: The first one I played in the series and I'm sure that influences it's ranking in my mind, but I really love so much about this. too much to list actually. Which is why I can't say how disappointed I am it got the fugly vision port for PC instead of a true remake like FF IV

• FF IV: Great story, all the characters have a completly unique role and it received the best overhual/remake of any of the FF's with its Nintendo DS version. Also, Spoony Bard is a classic.

• FF VII: Introduced FMVs to the series and amazing summon animations. A bit easier than I'd like (except ruby and emerald) but great story and characters. Hope the remake doesn't ruin what made the game play fun

• FF IX: Never finished, but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to grabbing this today

• FF V: While there are things I like about job systems, mostly I hate them. That said this one was enjoyable if I ignore that aspect.

• FF III: Same as above only not as good of a game

• FF VIII: Maybe I'll come back to this one some day, but I was so bored I found I had to force myself to play it. Best thing about it was the card game because it was more enjoyable than the actual game.
  •  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
    1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 14, 2016, 11:18 Pigeon

I've played on private servers for other games before, so it's not as though I don't understand the allure, beyond playing for free, but I can't say I ever felt righteously entitled to play. What they were doing was illegal and they should be happy they got away with it for as long as they did. Now ideally Blizzard would see there's a market for this sort of thing and be willing to license out to these niche markets. They get more customers, and people get to play a version they want.  

3. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 10:50 Pigeon

MattyC wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 10:23:
    I liked 9, not as much as '6' or 7, but I liked the game (and it had some great music). They did a great job with the models, but that just makes it clash with the backgrounds that much more. Reminds me very much of the FF Type Zero remake, tons of work done on some models jarring with the rest.

I guess if you never got to play 9 then I would still say go for it, but for anyone who has already played the game? Eh, not seeing it...

I tried emulating it a few times and generally enjoyed it. It felt/played more like I think a FF should be, but there were problems so I never finished, maybe got to the 2nd disk. I'll probably pick this up when I get off work. I've seen a few angry steam posts bitching about the UI, complaining it's a direct port from the android version. I'd probably prefer the PSX UI, but what I've seen so far the PC's version is fine. Maybe by the time I get around to actually playing it a mod will be out.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2016, 10:27 Pigeon

The RIAA wants more money for the studios WAT?!?!

“If we had a system where once a song was taken down, you had a filtering system that prevented it from going back up, we wouldn’t have to be sending hundreds of millions of notices on the same content over and over again,” Sherman notes.

Which I'm sure is not easy, if at all possible, to implement effectively.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
    1. Re: Exploding tech Apr 13, 2016, 08:15 Pigeon

If it were a daily double I would have wagered it all on crappy Chinese made batteries, and it would have paid off.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2016, 18:22 Pigeon

As usual great segment by John Oliver. Nothing like having companies generate reports about you that you're not allowed to see, but can have an extremely negative impact on your life. At least the The Fair Credit Reporting Act gives people a chance. But there's information they won't give, like credit scores. Also every time I try to run a free report at least one of them doesn't work. Background checks need to be next for reforming. It sounds like they're about a thorough in weeding out false positives as debt collectors or Republicans trying to purge voter registrations.  

9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 12, 2016, 08:23 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 23:55:
    Saboth wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 21:37:
    Websites are yelling at viewers/customers about adblockers, when they need to be yelling at the advertisers. Make the ads uniform, unobtrusive, 100% safe and I'll turn the adblocker off. Until then, you can post up the "turn off your adblocker if you want to view this site" all you want, I'll just not visit your site (used to go to Wired all the time, never visit now, as one example).

Yep, agree fully. Bitching at your customers is never the answer, but that's a truth that apparently hasn't sunk in yet with a large number of website owners. I'm not going to open up my computer to shitloads of potential attack vectors just because you're too lazy to figure out a better business model.

I'd be interested to know how many people actually turn off their ad-blockers for those sites as opposed to stop visiting. I've noticed a few hardware review sites use ad-blockers as well, which those seem to be a dime a dozen, and I can't help but think their viewership has dropped significantly.

EDIT: Also speaking of exploitable shit websites uses, adobe flash needs to go away.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2016, 17:56 Pigeon

That'll teach them to buy a Monsanto GMO dog. Sure the octopus genes keep the fleas and ticks away, but this is the cost of messing with things we don't understand. Nature finds a way.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 11, 2016, 11:15 Pigeon

Google has quietly dropped that free tier in Kansas City, its first Fiber area, and has replaced it with a 100Mbps option that costs $50 per month

Less than what I pay for half the speed. Still it would be nice if companies offered a true budget option. Internet access is essential for functioning in modern society; a low tier option for $10 or $15 so they can access email from their home, job search or have easier access to social services would seem like a pertinent thing for them to offer.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2016, 18:07 Pigeon

The FDA has asked antibacterial soap makers to send in data showing that their soaps beat out regular soaps at keeping people germ-free and healthy. The agency expects to announce this September whether the submitted data pass muster. If they don't, the companies that make up the $5.5 billion soap market may be forced to ditch the chemicals entirely.

I'm sure that will be the most unbiased data ever... When I think about it, they really don't lose much if nobody can sell antimicrobial soap commercially. It's a useless selling point, like those godawful microbeads were. Since almost everyone was selling antimicrobial soap it's not like it removes a tremendous advantage from any one company.

News Comments > etc.
    2. Re: etc. Apr 10, 2016, 12:10 Pigeon

"The Microsoft thing was interesting," said McCormack... "At that early stage they were completely naive about the games industry.

And they still are!*BA DUM tssh*.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 16:58 Pigeon

I can imagine being transgender and running a gaming channel probably attracted an extra special level of vileness, so I can understand not wanting to engage in that anymore. On the other hand if this is something she really enjoys doing then you can't take that crap personally even if it's meant to be personal.  

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 9, 2016, 10:08 Pigeon

On Google's reCAPTCHA system, researchers recorded a 70.78 percent success rate

That's better than my success rate at guessing captchas

News Comments > etc.
    1. Re: etc. Apr 6, 2016, 16:20 Pigeon

$1,300 on 68 steam games? The real violation of ethics is not waiting for the sale . The, my kid did it, story is semi-credible, but the other 67 purchases being unauthorized sounds unlikely  

News Comments > etc., etc.
    2. Re: Butt Pose Apr 6, 2016, 09:46 Pigeon

Lol, now they're just trolling. I love the link showing the inspiration is an actual old school pin-up.  

News Comments > Into the Black
    3. Re: Into the Black Apr 6, 2016, 08:35 Pigeon

On Saturday, police said Carlos hired Uber driver Corey Robinson in Philadelphia to take him 200 miles to a college in central New York.

This guy drives for a living and couldn't make a 200 mile trip without needing a nap? I hate driving long distances, but even I think that's some weak shit.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2016, 14:45 Pigeon

Kxmode wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 13:34:
    @Bodolza - I'm not saying it's bad or good. I'm simply reporting that some restaurants, at least one where I live, are responding to the new law.

There are an amazingly large number of people who will cut their noses off to spite their faces. At this point it would be more honest to call it a protest, but that would imply it's a willful action rather than accounting necessity.

2002 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 13.
    < Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo