Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On August 15, 2003
Supporter -
Total Comments 2930 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 8, 2018, 08:40 Pigeon

I'll be interested when there are benchmarks. Looking to overhaul most of my system later this fall so curios how this compares to the last gen Intel and current Ryzen CPUs.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 4, 2018, 08:50 Pigeon

Or kids with aggression problems like to play aggressive games.

Hull's previous research suggests players may practice riskier behaviors such as reckless driving, binge drinking, smoking and unsafe sex.

Funny, these are all things that weren't associated with kids who played video games when I was a kid. It's almost as though the kids who did those things started playing video-games when they became more main stream.

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week

12. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week Oct 3, 2018, 13:37 Pigeon

Anyone play the Long War 2 mod for this? I always felt Long War greatly improved the base game, while adding some of it's own annoyances, curious how LW2 compared.

Also I remember not liking the soldier customization choices for this. If memory serves correctly everyone has the same body with some slightly different heads.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 30, 2018, 20:13 Pigeon

There are too many bad drivers out there, even if self driving cars aren't perfect they're better than distracted drivers or the rush hour hot-rodder in their CR-V that weaves in and out of traffic so they can get two car lengths further.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2018, 12:12 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 09:28:
Numinar wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 06:29:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 29, 2018, 21:33:
Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2018, 20:58:
Kathleen Kennedy has dirt on somebody. She has to. She has pictures of some high-up exec at Disney fisting a camel or something, so they can't fire her.

It is unbelievable how in the US the absolutely fucking INEPT just keep being kept on in their positions. Failing upwards is the US #1 motto.

If you talk a good game and make money, nobody cares about the hows or whys. Except Solo the Star Wars movies have been raking it in lack of quality not withstanding.

Either these new movies or age has cured me of my SW obsession. Tie Fighter is still the best thing to ever come out of that property.

I just don't understand the hate. Nothing released by Disney has been anywhere near as bad as the prequels or the directors cut additions. That shit was beyond foul.
The prequels were horrible, but the new trilogy is worse.

1. The prequels had a unique and unified story arc, such that it was.

2. They had unique locations and expanded the Star Wars universe.

As for the one-offs, I still haven't seen Solo, but I understand the script is shit?

Rogue One is solid, enjoyable, and has a bold ending.

Two things made the prequels terrible, Anakin and Jar-Jar. Anakin was just an unlikable character; cringe worthy as a kid, and obnoxious as an adult. His turn to the dark side, a central point of the plot, was handled with absolutely zero finesse. The sad thing is he's a more sympathetic and likeable character in the Clone Wars cartoons; yes the cartoons handled character development better than the 340 million dollar prequels.

As for Jar-Jar, I don't just mean the single character, I mean all the bizarre completely out of place tone ruining shit Jar-Jar represents. It wasn't just introducing some comedy and levity into tense action or dramatic scenes it was tossing the Looney Toons crew into the mix and thinking it was somehow appropriate for the tone of the movie.

I would argue the characters in the new trilogy are more or less likeable. As mentioned the lack of a unified story and direction really hurts the new movies. You don't need to see exactly where the plot is going, but having a sense that it's actually building towards something is kind of essential. Beyond that the plot was just a fucking mess, nobody does anything for reasons that make sense. I liked Redlettermedia's comparison of The Last Jedi to National Lampoons Vacation. The plot in National Lampoons Vacation moves forward because Clark Griswold is an idiot and does idiot things. Same thing with TLJ,all the major plot points occur because all the characters do stupid things, the movie starts out with crank call for god's sake.

Rogue One has a pretty solid plot, thanks to the Original trilogy we know here they're headed, and they do a decent job of painting a picture of the state of the Galaxy at that time. There are some plot points that don't stand up well to scrutiny, but nonetheless fine. Unfortunately I didn't like the lead characters. Jyn was terrible, she complains about the rebellion and not wanting to be involved the entire time, and then when everyone else is like, yeah you're right there's nothing we can do, she pulls a complete 180 and chides them for giving up; this was not a Han coming to save Luke A New Hope moment. The swash buckling dashing Captain Cassian Andor could have been replaced with a pile of rocks and nobody would have been the wiser.

Maybe one of these days we'll get a new Star Wars movie that can mange Character Development, Story and Plot. What a treat that would be

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2018, 21:33 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2018, 20:58:
Kathleen Kennedy has dirt on somebody. She has to. She has pictures of some high-up exec at Disney fisting a camel or something, so they can't fire her.

It is unbelievable how in the US the absolutely fucking INEPT just keep being kept on in their positions. Failing upwards is the US #1 motto.

If you talk a good game and make money, nobody cares about the hows or whys. Except Solo the Star Wars movies have been raking it in lack of quality not withstanding.

News Comments > Into the Black

3. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2018, 23:52 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 23:01:
On the repo: What I want to know is was he under the influence of drugs? Or is he really just that stupid? I'm betting on being that stupid...

I find the two often pair well together.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 28, 2018, 20:33 Pigeon

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 13:41:
A tiny ďcardĒ like this canít be more than a few connections with the real grunt being done by the CPU. How does it differ from USB headsets?

Iím using my motherboardís onboard audio. Itís ok. I do wonder if Iíd really notice a difference if I got an add-in card. My onboard is supposedly a higher end Realtek chip, damned if i can tell tho. I do have quite nice speakers, maybe Iím being stupid by not pairing them with a discrete card.

Anyone still use a discrete? Noticeable difference? I just game and listen to music.

http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-1

I have a higher end onboard realtek chip, but it was too quiet. That DAC provided quality sound and the ability to permanently damage my hearing should I wish it. That said if you're happy with what you've got no reason for a DAC or card. If you've got a lot of hi-res music and good speakers/cans you might want to look into a DAC.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2018, 08:22 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2018, 20:33:
That Ashit Pai is a true friend of the people*

*Large Corporations

Corporations are people too, people with bottomless wells of cash.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Sep 26, 2018, 08:24 Pigeon

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 18:51:
No. After four million such "passwords are dead" articles, can we finally use a headline like this to bypass the article altogether? You'd be hard put to find a less secure option than a phone.

I'm not going to be opening any such headlines in the future. It's just more clickbait, passwords are going to be around long after the article has been sent to the dustbin.

Would you like to save your response for the next time you visit this topic:

NOT NOW - NEVER - SAVE PASSWORD

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2018, 14:40 Pigeon

Another bad week of picks for me. Blue you're welcome for the win. I think we might be the new Browns, though a change in coaching might rectify most of the problems.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 19, 2018, 22:08 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 20:26:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 20:15:
Same here. 10-15 years ago they were great, but they can't compete with the online Wal-Mart.
Given that choice I think I'd have to go with the lesser evil, Newegg.

Newegg got bought out by some Chinese company years ago, they're not "bad" in comparison to other online retailers, but the deals got a lot less attractive and they have a lot of third party sellers now. When I'm looking for parts is still check their site though.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2018, 10:32 Pigeon

Karpf said Aliperti is under a lot of stress as he's going through a contentious divorce.

Wonder why anyone would divorce that gem of a man.

"You wouldn't let your child go walking in an unknown neighborhood by themselves, but parents let their kids play video games by themselves all the time," said Ulanoff.

Guy must have graduated from the RIAA school of analogies. 'You wouldn't let your child go alone to an unknown crack-house, why would you let them play games alone online.'*dundundun* Not that I disagree with the sentiment, parents should beaware of what their kids are doing online, and teach them how to be safe and conduct themselves appropriately, but there's no need to misrepresent the danger.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2018, 15:44 Pigeon

Interesting that the "average" personality typecluster is neurotic. I would be interested to know how the Big Five's population norms have shifted over the years.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2018, 14:14 Pigeon

Agree with The Crown, one of the best Dramas I've seen. I couldn't get into Barry, something about the pacing or style of jokes just didn't hold my attention.

Wow the Not a Flamethrower is just an over the top butane lighter. I guess that they've designed it to look like a [insert futuristic game,movie,tv] gun is where the appeal is?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 13:53 Pigeon

He should probably shave until he's got more of his big boy hair in. Then again maybe greasy teen is the in look for 20 somethings now.

I feel calling playing video games a sport is a bit of an over statement, on the other hand ESPN has long since covered professional poker, so it's not like there's no precedent for them covering non-athletic competitions.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 17, 2018, 18:33 Pigeon

Someone has to keep those robots working like well oiled machines. All those laid-off workers can be lubricators after they've been retrained as tallow in the boiling vats.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2018, 15:32 Pigeon

I'm sure the landline looked conspicuously like a sack of money.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2018, 14:58 Pigeon

The only thing I picked well was the Chiefs over the Steelers

Special home team note: Team is leading the score in the 4th for the first time all game. Opposing team gets 11 yards with the first down of the ensuing play, immediately after a player that's not even suited up to play gets a foul from the sidelines. 15 free yards back into scoring territory and a few plays later the game is tied again... It's going to be a long painful season.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 16, 2018, 13:29 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 16, 2018, 11:36:
Been over a decade since I built a PC. I take it from the comments the pre-applied cooling paste is more than sufficient?

Let me put it this way, the difference between the top performing thermal paste and toothpaste is less than 10C. You may get a degree or two out of a high end paste, but seating your cooler correctly, having proper air flow in your case, or just turning down your A/C will give you better results.

2930 Comments. 147 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >