Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2000 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
1. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 09:20 Pigeon

Well, they did that without much fanfare, especially considering it'll be almost 2 years since the 980 and 970 were released. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for some benchmarks. Been considering upgrading to a 1440p 144Hz setup sometime this year, hoping the 1070 will be perfect for that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2016, 11:31 Pigeon

nin wrote on May 6, 2016, 11:00:
Who is the sadomasochistic asshole who designed that web page? Holy shit, popups (the story) and video both (with ad blocker running)...

Note to self: never visit USAToday...

That's where noscript comes in handy. It can be a bit of a bother sometimes, but it's a bother that keeps me more secure and rids me of the annoyance of webpages auto-running crap.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2016, 15:25 Pigeon

El Pit wrote on May 5, 2016, 13:41:
I do not want to troll (really), but that VR hype died off extremely quickly, right?

I was thinking along the same lines. Its a new market with a lot of people feeling it's just a fad that won't get any traction. They really needed to hit it out of the park at launch and they completely fucked it up. And it really seems like a business 101 problem; they should have known early on how long it would take to manufacture units and the likely demand. Instead they just kept taking pre-orders and they can't fulfill in a timely manner. Not a good way to induce confidence in new customers.

6. Re: First Female President confirmed May 4, 2016, 13:06 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 4, 2016, 12:18:
Now that Cruz and Kasich have dropped out leaving the official candidate of the WWE, it ensures that the USA will get its first female president.
order has been restored to the force

One would think that's how things will turn out, but then his run to become the candidate was initially seen as a joke. Also while I don't think it will happen with Hillary, the democrats have a tendency to trip and fall flat on their face when they should have a slam dunk.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2016, 11:50 Pigeon

Should be titled, 'Sweeney rambles on about frogs and hot water'. Not that I disagree about UWP being terrible. A poor history of properly implementing these kinds of things, their inability to explain the problem they're fixing without relying on buzzwords, and the positioning of the windows store at the center of everything doesn't induce a lot of confidence that UWP is anything but an attempt to be a worthless middleman.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 3, 2016, 15:27 Pigeon

This is basically where I see online streaming going, at least where the content creation companies (HBO, Disney, FOX)want to take it. $40 a month for a hand full of channels sounds like a real mixed bag, mostly the over priced sort. I fully suspect they'll cannibalize what's currently be offered with the base service to add more "value" to such a bundle service.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
14. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 3, 2016, 09:41 Pigeon

Shineyguy wrote on May 3, 2016, 09:28:
To everybody that is having issues with the newest drivers, please do a full DDU (using the Display Driver Cleaner app) to remove all driver remnants from your PC and proceed with a truly clean driver install.

This may resolve the issue for most of you.

DDU has helped resolve many display driver issues for me; which sort of highlights that there's an inherent flaw in how drivers, or at least display drivers, are updated in windows. It used to be the only way I could update drivers for AMD without losing some aspect ratio features.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 3, 2016, 08:55 Pigeon

Sell as much as you can, worry about fulfilling those sales later. Unless there was a huge problem late in the production cycle there's no reason they shouldn't have seen this coming. The ethical thing to do would have been to halt preorders when they realized they weren't going to have enough units to fulfill those orders in a timely fashion. But who cares about business ethics anymore...  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2016, 15:43 Pigeon

jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2016, 15:01:
jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2016, 14:56:
I heard Texas got 6.5 trillion gallons of rain during a 24 hour period a couple days ago. That's insane.

That's it, we need a giant canal flowing from Texas to California... Build it along the Mexican border and kill two birds with one stone!

So long as you don't mind taking some water moccasins and gators with it.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2016, 14:31 Pigeon

We were supposed to get a lot of rain this weekend which thankfully failed to materialize into anything but a brief morning shower. I doubt most of the rivers, bayou's or reservoirs could hold much more.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2016, 14:40 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 13:13:
How did the weasel get past the retinal scanners.
I watched Particle Fever, informative.

If I've learned anything from comic books it's that the didn't get fried, but was turned into super weasel with the power to control electricity, dubbed The Electric Weasel!

1. Re: 3.5mm jack Apr 29, 2016, 11:35 Pigeon

As long as it's a universal standard and doesn't jack up the price with licensing fees I'm all for it.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 27, 2016, 13:15 Pigeon

Apple Watch: large awkward and inelegant for a watch, small awkward and clumsy for a phone.  

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
3. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 26, 2016, 15:31 Pigeon

WaltC wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 15:09:
Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 14:24:
The check for software updates feature in Radeon Settings may not find the latest available update.

Finally! It seems a minor thing but I could never get it to update through the app, I always had to download manually...

=-Rigs-=

Know what you mean...;) But I would rather do it manually because I've seen many foul ups with so-called "automatic" upgrade systems on numerous devices...not just GPUs.

I can't find where to turn it off . I've seen some suggestions that the feature has to be opted out of during installation.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 23, 2016, 18:16 Pigeon

I'm curious if these sites blocking ad-blockers have had a significant reduction in traffic. A real catch-22 for them if it has. They need people to see the ads for revenue, but if people just stop visiting the site they're not going to see ads anyways. Of course if ad companies made their ads safer and less intrusive this wouldn't be such a problem to begin with.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 22, 2016, 08:54 Pigeon

Nuhauser wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 02:42:
Creston wrote on Apr 22, 2016, 00:13:
He says about 1900 times how horrifically they failed on Titan, but never actually explains a single word about WHY it failed. What about it was a failure?

That story would be interesting. This article/video has absolutely nothing to do with it though, just more Oversnatch hype. I get the feeling they are very embarrassed about Titan, as in looking back at it they can only say "What the fuck were we thinking?"

Unless they thought we were under the impression they cancelled what would have been major company defining success, they said nothing we didn't already know. Did it suffer from over management, a creative team that couldn't pick a definable direction? That would be a story; Kaplan saying, "We messed up guys, we messed up bad." isn't.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 19, 2016, 16:08 Pigeon

wtf_man wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 15:11:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 14:46:
Got to say, it's no surprise with quality shows like House Of Cards and Daredevil on Netflix. Had my netflix account since 2008 (it used to suck) but now it's pretty much the future.

Looking forward to more of their future shows.

Actually, I'm thinking about cancelling because their non-in-house library is starting to suck. It seems to get worse every year, and I cord cut in 2007.

I noticed some shows went to Hulu (owned by Disney/ABC, Comcast/NBC, and FOX), where you get commercials with a subscription fee or pay extra for no commercials. Also some networks are trying to push their own services, like the BBC, and pulling their content. Netflix has been in the very precarious position of being very successful providing content from other companies that don't really have a vested interest in Netflix being successful. I assume that's why Netflix is pushing hard with the original content.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 16, 2016, 13:54 Pigeon

Fantaz wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:50:
it would probably be silly to buy a new video card at this point now with the new ones coming out really soon (Pascal, etc.)

Even if you don't care about having the latest tech, once pascal comes out there will likely be some deep discounts on the 970 and 980(ti).

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 15:44 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 14:15:
I don't get how others even notice other people texting, it's silent and the light is inconsequential. Seems like angry transit guy while others talk on their phones, they stew. Focus on your life.

In a dark room where the only source of light is supposed to be the screen, it's very distracting. Part of life is being aware of the environment around you, your impact on it and its impact on you, so I'd say it's the texters that need to focus on life.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 12:33 Pigeon

Zoopster wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 12:21:
I don't even know why an explanation is needed. If you text during a movie, you're a douche. Period.

I just find it amazing people can't go without using their phone for 2 hours. I'd say it's because I remember when cellphones were not ubiquitous and everything was just fine, but there are plenty of people older than I who seem completely unable to put their phone down. I've never been to an Alamo draft house, but I certainly appreciate their firm stance on this issue. Though there needs to be a broader effort toward the movement of, 'stop being a self centered douche and have some consideration for those around you.'

2000 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo