Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1899 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 19:14 Pigeon

Yes it takes a lot of courage to drop the 3.5mm port so you can push a pair of proprietary wireless ear buds for $159 that will likely sound no better than a pair you can get for $29.99 off Amazon. Yes courage, courage to be greedy as fuck.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 15:20 Pigeon

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 14:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 13:17:
The whole Windows 10 debacle just keeps getting better. Microsoft is the worst thing to ever happen to the PC gaming.

Fixed that for ya.

It does seem as though MS is being extra shitty lately. The heavy handed upgrade to 10 campaign, the on-going problems with windows update for vista/7/8, and continued efforts to try and force people into the cortana, xbox, MS experience that nobody asked for or wants. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more tech article calling them out. Even the outrage over the 10 upgrade campaigned seemed tame considering they resorted to out right trickery to get people to update.

On the topic of the scientifically proven happiness thing, that was a major reason for not moving out of my apartment recently. My daily commute is only 15 minutes, and while it's still full of morons who shouldn't be driving, it's only 15 minutes of morons who shouldn't be driving.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2016, 13:07 Pigeon

Who would have thought indiscriminately spraying pesticides could have any kind of negative consequence. There's certainly no precedence to suspect this.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 1, 2016, 13:22 Pigeon

I've thought about getting a dash cam, specially give how crazy people drive around here, but I worry It'd increase the likelihood someone would break in. I keep nothing in my car, at least nothing in view, for this very reason.  

News Comments > New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers
3. Re: New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers Aug 31, 2016, 22:01 Pigeon

WaltC wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 21:17:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 20:55:
Call me when they fix the HDMI audio issue.

No trouble with it here...;)

You've been blessed by the driver gods. I started noticing the issue in spring, prior to that I had no problem with it either. Basically HDMI audio stops working at some point, people seem to think it occurs during some power-saving mode. You either have to restart to get it working again or the slightly less annoying disable/reenable the amd hdmi audio driver. Thankfully I only use HDMI when I video out to my TV, if it were my main source of audio I'd be really annoyed.

News Comments > New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers Aug 31, 2016, 20:55 Pigeon

Call me when they fix the HDMI audio issue.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 14:12 Pigeon

panbient wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 13:14:
I still don't get what the real issue is, or is the gaming public just really this far up their own asses?

The public (generally speaking) keeps demanding higher quality products and chose to support specific franchises but are not comfortable with an increase in price to support the increased cost of development to meet their expected quality. Until very recently the price of a new video game had been stagnant at $60 for about 3 decades. What other industry has gone that long without increasing the average cost of its base product? Especially considering the increase in quality.

The developers need a way to make ends meet. Offering a higher priced version to those willing to pay should make it easier to balance the costs of the production. It's unfortunate when a highly publicized release falls short, but not every game offering pre-orders is Alien Colonial Marines.

Ultimately it's up to the consumer to vote with their wallet and unfortunately for a lot of the complainers, the market / industry / phenomena of video games has grown to be substantially bigger than the romanticized memories of pc master race grognards remembering a version of gaming that never existed outside of their own perceptions.

TLDR - Stop blaming any industry and take responsibility for your own spending habits.

Costs for development may have increased but sales have tripled in the last 15 years as well. So it's not as though companies aren't being rewarded for their increased efforts. And yes people need to take responsibility for their own spending habits, but that doesn't mean corporations should get a free pass.

On the surface a pre-order should be a good thing. Customers secure a copy of a product they're excited about and maybe get a few extra goodies. Companies get a faster return on investment, a better idea of how many copies they need to ship for release, and they get a lot of community generated hype which results in more post release sales. This should be win-win, but companies are releasing broken games and/or products that aren't representative of the promised gameplay. So who pissed in that well? The customer purchasing the game with the expectation they'll be getting what was advertised, or the company that either misrepresented in their advertising or cut-corners so they could release on a date they chose?

I don't pre-order, I'm more of a wait and see guy, but I understand not everyone needs to check the locks ten times before leaving the house (that's a metaphor guys). And while I do think customers should considered the source before pre-ordering, they are not the cause of shit releases. Honestly I think if you could accomplish the impossible task of getting something as diverse as the consumer to stop pre-ordering the take away message from a company like EA would be, 'Guess people don't like video-games anymore.'

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2016, 11:57 Pigeon

I think canceling or returning your pre-order is a better option. I think it sends a clearer message than not pre-ordering. But I realize that's often not an option.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 17:22 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 13:25:
I'm not a law kind of person but I'd like a general idea of what to expect in regards to my condition and my place of work. Since getting Lyme, I've been on the receiving end of fevers, splitting head aches, stiff joints, nausea, cold chills and incredibly fatigued with no end in sight to which my employer has rewarded me with more physically-demanding labor on top of extra detailing while full well knowing my situation. Either cannot be bothered to find a replacement or has done such a shit job at employing spares that none are available until they can find one soon™.

It's fucking garbage. I need rest and these anti-biotics are absolutely destroying my guts. If I tell them that this is unreasonable and that I am unable to work because my entire body is going haywire and have a prescription to prove my condition then would they be reasonable and give me time off or is that giving them enough grounds to have me fired or let go?

Probably depends on the state you're in, but from what little I read federal laws on this issue aren't particularly robust. Maybe there's some info over at the ADA site. Sorry your employer is being an asshat

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2016, 13:47 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 12:41:
Agreeing with you Blue. The Night Of is captivating.

3rd'ed. I'm not typically into crime dramas, but this is amazingly well done.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2016, 14:16 Pigeon

I'm pretty sure driving slow in the left lane is a sport around here. There are parts of my daily commute where the far right lane is by far the fastest lane to be in.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Stranger Things. Aug 27, 2016, 13:50 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 13:28:
Third most popular? It should be first, as it is fucking AWESOME.

And so much 80's nostalgia it burned.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 24, 2016, 20:54 Pigeon

How about celebrating by announcing you-know-what?

Hats for the Steam Client? My game browsing experience would be amazing if only I could spruce up the client with a jaunty cap.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 15:27 Pigeon

The problems I see are as follows:

If you don't have easy access to a stop you're SOL. Your lucky if the distance tracker grabs half of what you actually do. The nearby thing doesn't really work. Many stops and gyms are in places that are dangerous or require trespassing. GPS spoofing is easy and makes most of the previously mentioned problems non-existant, but it ruins the game in other ways. The pay system is expensive when you considered how fast you would go through the materials (specially if you don't have access to a stop, aka players not in an urban area are screwed.)

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2016, 13:50 Pigeon

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 13:11:
IMHO DC does all the animated shows really well. I rarely am ever disappointed in what I have seen and I think I have seen most of them. Same cannot be said about the movies.

Agreed, I liked Justice League, and even young justice was decent. Of course when I was a kid the Batman cartoon in the 90s were the shit. I liked the X-Men cartoons back then too but FOX, or at least the local affiliate, constantly screwed up airing it. I'll have to check out the DKRs series.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: AMD promises the world (again) Aug 18, 2016, 16:46 Pigeon

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 16:24:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 15:26:
Jamil20 wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 14:30:
Please, don't be like Bulldozer, please, don't be like Bulldozer...

Yeah I feel like we have been here before. Bulldozer is still fresh in people's minds. They should contact Anandtech to do internal benchmarks before making such claims.

I remember the smoke and mirrors (cherry picked benchmarks) from the Bulldozer reveal, and am also wary of AMD's claims because of that.

I really hope they deliver though.. the computing world needs a solid competitor for Intel and AMD is the best we've got in that regard. Go team red!

AMD powered the first couple builds/upgrades I did (Mmm that athlon thunderbird), so I'll always be a fan, but the last 5+ years I've not believed a word they've said about the performance of their next great chip.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 12:01 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 11:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:00:
It's a good thing gas cars never catch on fire, no wait.

1 Tesla fire post shield installation per 100 million miles driven.

Compared to:

1 traditional car fires per 20 millions miles average driven.

Still 5 times safer with the current, albeit limited, data.

Someday they'll have to stop making a fuss out of every incident, 1 traditional car catches fire every 17 hours in average and that's ONLY in the US.

It'd probably be better to make a comparison to gas vehicles of similar price and age. It'd be a much more meaningful comparison than just all gas vehicles. It'd make the sample sizes closer in size, and eliminate some of the variance. Including beat up old Chevy Nova's in the gas condition isn't helping make an honest argument for the safety of gas vs battery.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 18, 2016, 11:48 Pigeon

USB Type-C-powered headphones can employ smart power management to, say, turn off the microphone when only the actual headphones are needed. That should help keep the effect on battery life to a minimum.

Features like noise canceling and special sound effects—such as making it sound like the recording is playing in a concert hall—are all possible over USB-C. Presumably, those features would be much cheaper to implement than they are now.

Finally, ditching analog connections for USB-C may also result in even thinner phones since handsets will lose not only the 3.5mm jack, but also the digital-to-analog circuitry required to support them. If phones do get thinner thanks to the end of the headphone jack, be sure to wear looser pants.

Is that the best they can come up with? Concert Hall sound effects and saving power by turning off the mic? First of all you can already add the crappy sound effects to your music, but nobody wants that cause it sounds like shit. Secondly how much power is saved by turning off the mic? I'm going to guess almost nothing.

The only valid point IMO, is saving room. I'm not wholly convinced the elimination of the audio jack will make a definable difference for the consumer, but it will probably save money in manufacturing; savings that are unlikely to be passed on. Further more I'd be willing to guess the type-c headphones will come with a price premium that isn't reflective of the actual audio quality you receive. Maybe I'm just jaded, but the lack of convincing arguments is setting off the, this is just a gimmick money grab, alarm.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2016, 15:04 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 14:15:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 13:58:
Woman and dog pulled from sinking car in Louisiana flooding.

Bizarre. Why the hell was she still in the car? Also, maybe not a good idea to step on a floating car with a person inside.

Car was not floating, car was sinking. The people did exactly what was necessary to save that woman's life and only had seconds to do it. Now dealing with the crazy bitch who was more worried about saving her mutt, well that's another story.

We had a lot of flooding around here a few months ago and most of the deaths were due to people's own stupidity. One particularly outstanding incident had some lady drive around a tow-truck, that was blocking the road, and into 30 feet of water. It's unfortunate and a shitty way to go, but it's their own fault. I think it kinda goes with the general theme that people have a false sense of security, power and entitlement while in their vehicles.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2016, 13:37 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 12:12:
I wonder what the real reason for switching to the cu model (no tinfoil fedora).

Windows 7 updating with it's previous 100's of updates has always worked fine until just recently.

I call cheeky shenanigans on Microsoft with its weak sauce explanation.

Probably uses less bandwidth and reduces the processing power needed to figure out what updates an individual computer needs. I'm sure its not much on an individual basis, but when you add up the 100s of millions of windows devices it could make a significant impact on their costs. Though I wouldn't be surprised if its also so they can more easily hide crap that consumers would otherwise not want. Sounds like it would eliminate the ability to not install update XYZ.

Also I have little doubt the TAKES FOR EVER TO UPDATE WINDOWS V,7,8 problem is conscious effort, at least in some manner, on their behalf.

1899 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo