Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2165 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 28, 2017, 08:43 Pigeon

At the meeting, Spicer told his staff they'd be subjected to worse punishments if news of the meeting was leaked.

News of the meeting has now leaked.

You set forth draconian measures that completely disrespects your own staff, and they continue to break your rules despite threats of worse punishment? huh... There's an object lesson in there that I'm sure is completely lost on the administration.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 14:39 Pigeon

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 09:47:
This year I've only seen one of the winners (The Jungle Book), with another one in my pile of Blu-Ray backlog (Arrival). I enjoyed this take on Kipling's story, not quite the pure Disney of their 1967 version of the movie.

I saw Arrival, Zootopia and Suicide Squad (which won for best haircut or something). I don't know if I even watched any of the other nominees, I think Rogue One was nominated for something. So while I'm glad Arrival and Zootopia won awards cause I enjoyed them, I really don't have a basis for comparison.

News Comments > Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War?
1. Re: Leak Reveals Middle-earth: Shadow of War? Feb 27, 2017, 09:43 Pigeon

Shadow of Mordor was alright. The nemesis system added an interesting mechanic, though if I remember correctly it undesirably made the game harder the more you failed, and easier the more you won.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2017, 09:37 Pigeon

And that's why they should sell underwear at truck stops.  

44. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2017, 09:52 Pigeon

Blue must have put one of the merciless peppers of quetzalacatenango in his chili and is currently on a coyote guided spirit journey. Hope he remembers there's a lot more stairs to climb if you kick the tortoise.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 13:35 Pigeon

Good ole rage, and it's best friend alcohol. I've gotten angry while drunk once, and felt a dumb-ass for it. I can't even comprehend something of this level.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2017, 11:51 Pigeon

“It is unnecessary, confusing and adds yet another innovation-stifling regulation to the internet.”

So innovation is just a synonym for profiteering in paid for politician shill speak right? And while I also don't agree with how much information site like google et al. can at least you have some choice of using their services (though good luck finding a service that doesn't do the same thing). With an ISP you're lucky to have more the 2 competitive choices, and they can potentially see everything you do.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2017, 08:39 Pigeon

Interesting article, but misleading title.

“A substantial number of takedown requests submitted to Google are for URLs
that have never been in our search index, and therefore could never have appeared in our search results,” Google states.

“For example, in January 2017, the most prolific submitter submitted notices that Google honored for 16,457,433 URLs. But on further inspection, 16,450,129 (99.97%) of those URLs were not in our search index in the first place.”

This kind of rampant abuse was highlighted in our recent report which revealed that one small site had millions of bogus notices filed against it. But, according to Google, that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

“In total, 99.95% of all URLs processed from our Trusted Copyright Removal Program in January 2017 were not in our index,” the company reveals...

...“Many of these submissions appear to be generated by merely scrambling the words in a search query and appending that to a URL, so that each query makes a different URL that nonetheless leads to the same page of results,” it adds, referencing an earlier TF report.

I'd actually argue it's worse than them sending notices for content that is clearly fair-use, because at least in that case there is actually content. This sounds more like a nuke it from orbit strategy, targeting anything that even hints at infringement, regardless of actual content, and then issuing take downs for sites that don't even exist yet, but could exist in the future, and might have infringing material on it. That's nuts, and Google is okay with it, they just don't want more rules. I shudder to think what more would look like.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 22, 2017, 20:51 Pigeon

Dem reflexes. Also a good example of what aim bot vs. pro aim looks like.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 22, 2017, 13:20 Pigeon

Someone with ill intent needs to get some level of physical access to the computer, but it still goes to show where there's a will there's a way.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2017, 13:15 Pigeon

BobBob wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 12:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 12:05:
PHJF wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 11:37:
Nice, girlfriend ordered this laptop and instead of 128GB SSD/12GB RAM they somehow shipped her a 512GB/32GB version. I made sure we selected the one direct from MSI, but it looks like we received an SKU from Computer Upgrade King that's supposed to cost $300 more. Sort of makes up for her old laptop being stolen.

My GF now has a laptop stronger than my desktop x_x

Awesome, you win. Rest easy knowing the law is on your side.
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise
Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?
A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Q. Must I notify the seller if I keep unordered merchandise without paying for it?
A. You have no legal obligation to notify the seller.

My translation of the above: You are under no legal obligation to a decent human being. You are free to be a selfish prick. The law is on your side!

It's probably a consumer protection law preventing companies from sending people more expensive items than what they ordered/paid for, and then billing them for the difference and/or use it as an aggressive up-sale technique. Companies have more resources and would have more experience in such matters putting consumers at a considerable disadvantage. So while an honest person may think the law too aggressive, having it so cut and dry in the consumer's favor curtails dishonest behavior on the part of the company.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2017, 10:39 Pigeon

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 09:56:
Ok so first Cassidy and dementia, now Ford is showing signs of memory issues in that article. 2016 killed everyone, is 2017 the year of mental health madness?

Well one could argue we elected someone with mental health issues as president, so yeah we may experience some trickle down psychiatric distress. On the plus side, so long as they go into treatment it means some job security for me.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 20, 2017, 18:54 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 15:21:
descender wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 15:15:
And no one seems to recall Karl Rove deleting 22 million white house e-mails back in the good ol W Bush years.

Double irony, the one they are currently using is still literally that same server.

Triple irony, I read that the Trump campaign email was run on an unsecured 2003 exchange box.

'Scuse me while I go punch the wall.

I'm sure the FBI will be investigating and dropping accusatory memos about it a week before the next election.

Apparently all you need to do is drop superlatives every other word and almost half the country will eat that shit up.

How come you haven't released your tax statements?

My taxes are the best, just tremendous. People tell me all the time I have amazing tax statements, and they're just great, you'd love them if I released them.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2017, 14:17 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:47:
Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 12:25:
Well it's "Family Day" in Canada. How arbitrary is that? Whatever works. Everyone just wants a day off in Feb.

Election day in the USA needs to be a holiday.

That would be helpful to blue collar workers who can't just take an extra long lunch and/or may need to use public transportation to get around... so you can bet it will never happen.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed?
10. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 16:04 Pigeon

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 15:26:
WTF, so they're changing the numbering scheme again? Why no 1100s?

This is how the marketing executives make it look like they're doing something. 'We need to show the customers how fresh and new our cards are and by that I mean we've refreshed our old new cards. Thus hence forth we shall increase model numbers by the sum of 1000, no more no less. Brilliant yes? Now where's my bonus?'

News Comments > MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games
11. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 17:37 Pigeon

I'm proud to announce our newest Windows gaming exclusive, the one you've all be waiting for.. Ski Free HD!!!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2017, 09:40 Pigeon

You whore for attention then do something stupid and offensive and suddenly don't want the attention anymore. Also if you do something edgy and offensive, own up to it, don't try to play it off like you didn't understand. 'Oh wow I can't believe those guys did that thing I paid them to do, what a surprise'  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 17, 2017, 22:19 Pigeon

I'll eat a turnbuckle in his honor.  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 19:01 Pigeon

bigspender wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 18:37:
If they want to bring back extinct species, it should be ones that actually still have an environment to live in. Especially those that have gone extinct due to humanities doing. It would be ethical then.

But it's not ethical to bring back a creature for entertainment. That's wrong.

Bring back the dodo!! All the leanness of turkey, but as moist as chicken Mmmm.

If they could successfully bring back a mammoth it would probably bring a lot of attention and money to the field. Sometimes it takes something bold, but meaningless to get people interested in things. Hooray we've saved the Prebel's meadow jumping mouse through the power of genetics *crickets*

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2017, 13:13 Pigeon

BobBob wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 12:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 17, 2017, 12:41:
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. This wasn't some kid, he is 24 years old. Unless he has some mental condition which reduces his capacity to act like an adult it would seem a criminal conviction is not out of line.

What's with Florida and all the crazies, or is it a false impression?

I've heard it's a mixture of the openness of criminal records and odd regulations/laws that contribute. One makes it easier for the media to get wind of oddball crimes and the other helps precipitate conditions for such crimes to occur. Or it could be all that swamp gas in the air is making people loopy.

2165 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo