Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2547 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 11:48 Pigeon

dubfanatic wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 11:32:
Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 11:01:
Red wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 10:44:
So Facebook openly and officially commits to being racist. Couldnít they just happen to appoint a black board member and say he/she was the best fit for the job? Canít we at least maintain the illusion that all races should have equal potential and opportunity? Any black person who accepts that token position now is doing a disservice to promoting real equality.

Sometimes race does make one person the best fit, no?
I mean, it sounds obvious, but for some reason straight white dudes terrified of missing out on something because they're the most qualified on paper is ridiculous.

1) There is no perfect fit. Things are subjective. Outside of extremes, one person is never objectively a better fit than another reasonably qualified person

2) Fit has a lot to do with culture, which isn't on paper. A guy with an incredibly ideal resume may have personality traits that don't fit well with that particular organization, while someone slightly less ideal on paper may fit much better and be the better hire

3) As Timmeh points out, if you're making a product for a diverse audience having a less than diverse board isn't ideal. A black person, or a woman, is much more likely to understand the audience needs of a black person, or a woman, than anyone else. If your board is already very good at understanding white people but needs to be better at understanding black people, a black person is absolutely going to be a better fit for the current needs.

Your race baiting is illogical and based in bad business. And your final line, about needing to "promote real equality" absolutely outs you as a terrified white straight white guy that will likely never even be remotely qualified for this kind of role. You've clearly never built teams before.

Are you suggesting there are differences between races in the distribution of personality traits?

Beamer explicitly mentioned cultural diversity as a reason a company may want to specifically hire someone. He was using personality traits as a non-racial example of when companies make hiring choices that are not fully based on someone's hard written qualifications.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Drink maker loses bid... Oct 9, 2017, 14:00 Pigeon

How unfortunate, it would have opened the gate for Monster cables to sue the drink company for infringement, then monster.com could sue monster cables, and then Bobby Pickett's estate could sue the whole mash.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2017, 21:27 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:02:
By the time the GOP is done, it's going to cost you a couple of million to get health insurance...

But yeah, he is an idiot. Sells the website for $51m and that's not enough? This is the part of the human mindset which will make reaching a Star Trek like utopia extremely difficult.

The only Star Trek future we'll be living in is the one on Ferenginar.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 17:27 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:53:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:33:
Anyone have recommendations for an antivirus program? I've been using Bitdefender, which has worked well, but they really pissed me off when I renewed last year and I have no wish to support them any further. I was considering using just Malwarebytes, I run script blocking, and uBlock on my browser so Iím reasonably protected from web-based attacks, but Iím not averse to additional protection in that area.
You would probably be fine with Microsoft's free offering combined with Premium Malwarebytes, it's what I use. (it is almost impossible to find the lifetime license for mbam since they discontinued that option ~4 years ago, sniff).
Malwarebytes does not recommend using just their protection by itself. A smart user who kept their system updated could probably get away with it, but there is always somebody smarter on the other end who wants to {-f-} your shit up.

Kaspersky has a free av option that is not supposed to have advertising.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
https://www.av-test.org/en/

That sounds like the best option. The only problem I've had in years was CCleaner, and even then I didn't have the registry entry that was supposed to be indicative of the malware. I deleted it anyways.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:44 Pigeon

More precisely, prosocial attitudes predict depression, which is in contrast to individualist attitudes. Individualist here basically just means selfish, or relatively selfish.

It's that crushing realization that the world is run by assholes who take advantage of nice giving people, and that their efforts to help others and reduce the miasma of suffering and misery will forever be undone by the selfish. Life's a drag man Beatnik

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:33 Pigeon

Anyone have recommendations for an antivirus program? I've been using Bitdefender, which has worked well, but they really pissed me off when I renewed last year and I have no wish to support them any further. I was considering using just Malwarebytes, I run script blocking, and uBlock on my browser so Iím reasonably protected from web-based attacks, but Iím not averse to additional protection in that area.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 10:19 Pigeon

Not really related to a harvest moon, but I noticed the moon illusion was in full effect this morning. Happened to look over as I was walking to my car, and was surprised by how big the moon looked. Should have taken a picture, but my brain is pretty much on auto-pilot that early in the morning.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 4, 2017, 09:59 Pigeon

ĎAs CEO I am responsible for what happens on my watch; out of my thousands of employees I failed to notice THAT GUY! *points to random schmuck eating a sandwich* didnít do his job. One idiot screwing everything up, you canít regulate that, or hold me or the company responsible in anyway, thereís absolutely nothing we could have done, so case closed, no need to dig into the companyís security habits or question why weíre allowed to collect so much personal information, cause it was all THAT GUYíS fault.í

Well the sacrificial goat has been offered let's see if the government eats it.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 4, 2017, 08:41 Pigeon

Everyone needs to layoff Equifax, it was all the fault of one bad IT technician. NOTHING ELSE TO SEE HERE!  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 4, 2017, 08:11 Pigeon

There are several Overwatch characters that don't really require much in the way of aiming, so I can see how this is possible. Still an impressive feat, but not impossible.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 15:46 Pigeon

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 14:33:
Blue wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 14:31:
MajorD wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 12:02:
sauron wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 11:50:
Oh, and isn't is 'preceded' rather than 'proceeded'? Just asking.

Yes, I noticed that too.

You noticed nothing. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

After looking at Walter's site and all the logo's, the droids are probably in the scrap pit with my youth!

No joke, a lot of those logo's are reminders of days gone by.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 3, 2017, 08:34 Pigeon

Equifax, run by criminals for criminals. It's amazing how it seems like the guys running this company are the last people you want to have all of your personal info. But hey, you can pay them money for protection... from them. I also seriously doubt all the unscrupulous executives are confined to that one credit bureau.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2017, 12:02 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 11:51:

When I saw the photo I had to triple check they weren't talking about another live action version of Avatar the Last Air-bender. WTF is with all the kids? Not to be judgemental but, that's exactly what I'm going to do, show casing a cast of kids means it's going to be a steaming pile of crap. The original was at least visually appealing, the story was terrible. Maybe it's an experiment on Cameron's part to see just how awful he can make a script before the visual appeal doesn't matter.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 28, 2017, 10:29 Pigeon

Terrible time to be in the market for a new GPU as cryptocurrency miners push prices over the MSRPs. AMD and Nvidia have to be happy about this, they can't make cards fast enough.  

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Adding Survival Mode
12. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Adding Survival Mode Sep 28, 2017, 08:51 Pigeon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 08:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 07:45:
Ah, then I was thinking about SkyUI probably....

SkyUI upto v2.02 works fine in the SE. And with the alpha release of the SE, SkyUI5.0 works 90% or so. For anyone who's not been paying attention to it the current SE team priority is: SKSE64 to stable w/SkyUI 5.0. Once that's done it's all downhill and adding functions back in. So many mods require the mcm built into skyui that once it's working to 100% almost everything can be ported.

Good to know, I was aware SKSE had recently entered alpha, but I was unaware of SkyUI's compatibility. Recently started playing again after a 3 year haitus, and added some nice mods to update the graphics. Been sticking with 32bit cause I just can't deal with the crappy standard UI. I did see 2.2 worked with SE, but there were a few steps to running it without annoying warning messages and it seemed like too much of a hassle (an admittedly low threshold).

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 13:18 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 12:16:
On the John Oliver video, the other side of corporate consolidation is that they tend to be shitty market performers and are almost always destined to fail on a long enough timeline. As he points out though, what's more problematic is their ability to litigate and lobby to help keep their position and deny competitors the ability to enter the market. That seems to be the broader problem to me and where we need to address it rather than just trying to deny all large corporations from consolidating. Keeping the market relatively easy for competitors to enter and allow innovation is the most important thing, competition will force larger players to react or die.

That and their ability to use their monopoly to force competitors out, like was mentioned with Luxottica and Oakley. This is what I worry will happen with the ISPs turning into content deliverers/providers.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2017, 08:37 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 04:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:15:
whodathunkit.
I bet putting it on Netflix only for those outside the US had nothing to do w/it.
I blame the Ferengi who don't want to pay.

Well the other Ferengi didn't want anyone else to make any latinum off it. So instead of putting it behind a pay wall that already had a lot of customers and other content, they put it behind their own paywall that has relatively few customers and content.

"The best deal is the one that makes the most profit."
-2nd Rule of Acquisition

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 11:31 Pigeon

That steak house went a little too far trying to recreate that on the range ambiance.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 08:56 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 02:50:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 00:59:
Anyone watch Star Trek Discovery?

Yep, seems like a good start, but no idea where it's going

I liked it, generally good writing and so far intrigued by the plot/promise of action. Though because of a football game going long I get the feeling parts of it may have been cut. It certainly ended abruptly, it went to commercial, and when ďitĒ resumed ďitĒ was NCIS. There was one event that seemed to be motivated by very flimsy rationale. [SPOILERS] When she goes EVA because they donít have shuttle craft, or ones that are as maneuverable as a space suit, I got the sense it was only done for the purpose of being cool. Also a little worried the main character might be too much of a Mary Sue. More [SPOILERS] Also Iím assuming that was the last episode for the main character since she assaulted the captain and attempted to commandeer the ship. Sheíll be thrown out the air lock for treason right before the Klingons kill everyone right?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 16:33 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:38:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:27:
How does that even happen, wouldn't you notice it didn't make the right noise or offer any resistance when you first open the drink? It's pretty easy to tell when a carbonated pressure vessel has been tampered with...
Who cares? Meth in soda = awesome!

7Up now with 2000% more up.

2547 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo