Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1931 (Pro)
User ID 18068
User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 11, 2016, 11:15 Pigeon
Google has quietly dropped that free tier in Kansas City, its first Fiber area, and has replaced it with a 100Mbps option that costs $50 per month

Less than what I pay for half the speed. Still it would be nice if companies offered a true budget option. Internet access is essential for functioning in modern society; a low tier option for $10 or $15 so they can access email from their home, job search or have easier access to social services would seem like a pertinent thing for them to offer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2016, 18:07 Pigeon
The FDA has asked antibacterial soap makers to send in data showing that their soaps beat out regular soaps at keeping people germ-free and healthy. The agency expects to announce this September whether the submitted data pass muster. If they don't, the companies that make up the $5.5 billion soap market may be forced to ditch the chemicals entirely.

I'm sure that will be the most unbiased data ever... When I think about it, they really don't lose much if nobody can sell antimicrobial soap commercially. It's a useless selling point, like those godawful microbeads were. Since almost everyone was selling antimicrobial soap it's not like it removes a tremendous advantage from any one company.
News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 10, 2016, 12:10 Pigeon
"The Microsoft thing was interesting," said McCormack... "At that early stage they were completely naive about the games industry.

And they still are!*BA DUM tssh*.
News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 16:58 Pigeon
I can imagine being transgender and running a gaming channel probably attracted an extra special level of vileness, so I can understand not wanting to engage in that anymore. On the other hand if this is something she really enjoys doing then you can't take that crap personally even if it's meant to be personal.  
News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 9, 2016, 10:08 Pigeon
On Google's reCAPTCHA system, researchers recorded a 70.78 percent success rate

That's better than my success rate at guessing captchas
News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 6, 2016, 16:20 Pigeon
$1,300 on 68 steam games? The real violation of ethics is not waiting for the sale . The, my kid did it, story is semi-credible, but the other 67 purchases being unauthorized sounds unlikely  
News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Butt Pose Apr 6, 2016, 09:46 Pigeon
Lol, now they're just trolling. I love the link showing the inspiration is an actual old school pin-up.  
News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 6, 2016, 08:35 Pigeon
On Saturday, police said Carlos hired Uber driver Corey Robinson in Philadelphia to take him 200 miles to a college in central New York.

This guy drives for a living and couldn't make a 200 mile trip without needing a nap? I hate driving long distances, but even I think that's some weak shit.
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2016, 14:45 Pigeon
Kxmode wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 13:34:
@Bodolza - I'm not saying it's bad or good. I'm simply reporting that some restaurants, at least one where I live, are responding to the new law.

There are an amazingly large number of people who will cut their noses off to spite their faces. At this point it would be more honest to call it a protest, but that would imply it's a willful action rather than accounting necessity.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 3, 2016, 12:45 Pigeon
Quboid wrote on Apr 3, 2016, 10:41:
9 'ARGH!' moments most computer users experience very occasionally unless they're complete idiots, plus some nonsense about touchscreens that never happens.

I suppose everyone is a computer user now, but the specific use of the term 'computer user' conjures up thoughts of someone more technically inclined.
News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2016, 18:01 Pigeon
jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2016, 14:15:
This is a weird case for the MPAA to weigh in on. Who are they protecting?

The MPAA's bone of contention on Minnesota's bill is that the person who releases the explicit photos or videos doesn't have to mentally want to harm or humiliate the person in the images.

They give some more noble examples where news outlets have used shocking images of tragic events to spark awareness, but they're most likely to run afoul of the law when an entertainment news show posts pictures of Jennifer Lawrence's side boob, or a telephoto close up of Ryan Reynold's scrotum.

I'm sure there's a way to word the law to protect legitimate news, while forbidding profiteering off the nudity of non-consenting individuals.
News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 31, 2016, 21:49 Pigeon
gravity wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 21:19:
"Game Description: You may pre-download this game, but it will not be playable until 12:01 AM EST on the release date (9/30/2016)."

This is six months away.

Absurdity in motion.

Yeah, what is the point of pre-downloading something so far in advance, particularly when there could be changes the require everything to be re-pre-downloaded.

I did grab the demo and played with it a bit. It looks really nice, but what little battle I tried felt kind of weird, certainly not what I'm used to from an FF game.
News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Mar 31, 2016, 18:42 Pigeon
Blue wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 16:24:
Pigeon wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 11:43:
He's right PC's are just the worst for playing FPSs on...

I made that a separate post and forgot to take it out of here, so that's what that story disappeared.

Curses, you've foiled my attempt to make sarcastic comments about clueless Microsoft executives. I would be upset, but I'm sure there will be many more opportunities in the future.
News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Mar 31, 2016, 11:43 Pigeon
He's right PC's are just the worst for playing FPSs on...  
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 31, 2016, 11:36 Pigeon
I'll have to check out the demo, I'm happy they made something like that. I have a lot of reservations about the new style of FF games, but I don't want to dismiss it out of hand because of, get off my lawn, reasons.  
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 31, 2016, 10:11 Pigeon
Capella wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 09:55:
Damn I just bought a 980ti. Should I retun it? Although so far it is freaking amazing!

Depends on how long you want to wait for the 1080 to come out. So far release dates are only rumors, but best bet is late summer/early fall, though I've seen some that think it could happen as early as May. Also the 980ti isn't going to stop being an amazing card when the 1080 comes out.
News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
5. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 30, 2016, 21:06 Pigeon
Spencer went on to say, "Nobody does app openness better than Microsoft, developers love us. In Windows 10, it's nice can I tell you it is just the best by the way, we're going to have more app openness than anyone else."

42. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 15:38 Pigeon
MajorD wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 15:09:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:17:
Pretty sure you missed the part where I wrote "I feel this is very unfair to those of us who worked at minimum wage jobs but decided to better ourselves by learning a skill and now we have good paying jobs". I have a good paying job. It's a job that requires a certain type of skill not everyone can do. I don't want to be on the same financial level as a burger flipper and lettuce stuffer. It's incredibly insulting. Minimum wage needs to remain minimum wage so people can take a hint and go learn some marketable skills.

Yeah, what happened to the days of minimum wage jobs that you had when you were on summer break, or worked part time during school, that were essentially stepping stones to gain 'work' experience for future skilled/higher paying jobs?

If people want to work minimum wage jobs for the rest of their lives, that is their choice, but just because they don't have the desire and/or drive to excel beyond that, why does that entitle them to wages higher than that of minimum wage?

I think the term 'Land of Opportunity' here in America has certainly become twisted along the way, as it used to mean you had the 'opportunity' to work hard to excel and make a better life for yourself and family, but 'Land of Opportunity' has certainly become misrepresented with entitlement programs.

First of all almost nobody cares about previous work experience unless it's doing exactly what they're looking for. Your summer job flipping burgers means very little to the HR software that categorizes and selects potential applicants. Companies want to spend the least amount of time training as possible. From my experience they would rather leave a position vacant than fill it with someone who, despite having a great work ethic and willingness to learn, is going to need some training to become proficient at the position. This is not the 1960s, businesses are run very differently now. My grandfather, as a high school graduate, worked his way from the ground up to the top at a construction firm. That seems exceedingly rare these days, now you have to get hired somewhere else to advance a career. Work hard at a job and they're just as likely to layoff your coworker and saddle you with the work load.
31. Re: Way to go California. Mar 29, 2016, 13:39 Pigeon
Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 13:09:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:49:
California raises minimum wage to $15 an hour.

That's awesome, more states need to raise the minimum wage. It can only benefit everyone!

Indeed. The economy runs on money being spent. When more people have money to spend, the economy is healthier and we all make more money.

The problem with a superrich class leaving everyone behind is that they earn more money than they can ever spend. Someone earned $850MM last year. 1 guy, in 1 year, earned more than he can ever spend. If you give 1 guy $850MM he'll spend, what, maybe 20 million of it?

If you give, say, 400 guys $2MM they'll probably spend at least $200MM of it. Probably more. That's a lot more money in the economy, fueling growth, fueling businesses.

That $850MM is the equivalent of 27,500 minimum wage jobs at $15/hr. If you split it that way, you'd probably have $700MM in the economy. Businesses would thrive.

I saw a video a couple days ago basically explaining how Kansas is quickly becoming a shining example of why trickle down economics don't work. Since instituting massive tax cuts for the super rich and businesses Kansas has had massive budget deficits, they've drastically cut social services, including education. They've apparently raised sales taxes in an attempt to stymie the effect, unfortunately sales taxes are a much larger burden on the poor and middle class.
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 28, 2016, 16:12 Pigeon
Kxmode wrote on Mar 28, 2016, 15:41:
I'm fine with Nintendo wanting to claim their nextgen console is more powerful than a PS4 as long as they stay in the console realm. No console will ever be more powerful than a PC. #PCMasterRace!

But TEH C100UD!!! Unless a console wants to price itself out of the market or take a huge loss on every unit sold, never going to happen. I do feel like the current generation started out a bit further behind the curve than normal.
1931 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News logo