Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1998 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2016, 19:01 Pigeon

Only thing I've bought so far is bioshock 2, I've played the 1st and 3rd installments so figured for $4 might as well play the 2nd.

On another note, actually just finished Wolfenstien: New Order that I bought in last year's summer sale. Stopped playing it back then because something frustrated me, something about the collectable, no idea why cause when I started playing again I had a blast.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 Pigeon

This is no surprise at all. Actually I'm pretty impressed only 5 shops charged for parts not needed, Austrians must be more honest than the typical repair place in the US. In my experience the problems most people have is because they've done something to fuck up the OS, new hardware was almost never needed. Well the OS and coffee were the top problems. When I was a tech repair monkey it was amazing how many older machines/monitors would just stop working, and upon opening the machine, surprise, things were covered in coffee. Nobody ever remembered coffee being spilled and it never seemed to happen to the new looking machines; a damn mystery it was .  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2016, 13:13 Pigeon

...found posts suggesting that Gegury has received death threats over her abilities, and that some pro players quit the game after their accusations against her were proven false.

Death threats and rage quitting, that's how you know you're rockin it.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2016, 08:36 Pigeon

Tom wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 23:02:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 21:38:
If they're going to claim video games and other media cause violence, can I claim day time talk shows cause stupidity? At least video games don't try to pass fictitious entertainment off as reality.
Yes, you can claim whatever you want to claim, just like them. But the difference is, they got you to watch their stupid claims. You bowed to their will. They achieved exactly what they set out to achieve. You would do well to remember that.

I bowed to their will? That's a bit of a dramatic thing to say. I'm not sure what they gained from me watching a 5 and 1/2 minute ad-less clip. I would suggest there is value in knowing what others think, even if it is ignorant and insipid.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 20, 2016, 21:38 Pigeon

Wow that was hard to watch. One moronic claim after another, and what the hell was the lady in blue going on about. Sounded like she was making up a story based on her flawed knowledge of Asperger's and trying to pass it off as something that actually happens.

If they're going to claim video games and other media cause violence, can I claim day time talk shows cause stupidity? At least video games don't try to pass fictitious entertainment off as reality.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 20, 2016, 19:22 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 17:10:
Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:50:
Jesus, just scroll down on that KTLA website. Every page you go to links to a dozen more stories of rape and mass-murder. Wtf is going on down there?

More people died from "civilian" shootings in the US than US soldiers died in Vietnam and WW1 combined. That is what is going on there. Remember those were wars. The US suffers from a perpetual civil war, no wonder everyone wants a gun there.

Historical social and economic repression of specific groups of people, a criminal justice system based on revenge rather than reformation, a war on drugs that most frequently punishes the users, while making the sale extremely lucrative and a political system where ideology and ignorance will trump fact and reason 9 times out of 10. There's undoubtedly more, but those are a few of the big reasons.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 18:22 Pigeon

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 17:02:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 16:12:
I bought a Nissan Altima in 2008 with a manual, it was tough to get. I think that might have been the last year they were available. I don't think there's a car now that costs less than $60k I'd care to own which comes with a manual.

I've been pricing lately (Honda, Hundai, etc), and everything I've seen here in the US is 1K more for automatic...

A lot of manufacturers still offer manual options, but it is often in the lower tier trims, and dealerships normally don't carry many. So it can be hard to find what you want with the options you want. Honda and Mazda have mid level trims available in M/T, not sure about American cars though. I prefer auto, but I understand the allure of an M/T specially if you don't live in a city.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2016, 12:55 Pigeon

I wasn't aware intimate knowledge of quantum superposition was considered rudimentary.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2016, 12:16 Pigeon

I don't even know how they're able to claim the song, Guthrie was pretty well known to issue anti-copyright statements:
This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we donít give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, thatís all we wanted to do.

Then again copyright law in the US seems like it is less about protecting an artist's creative rights and more about giving greedy assholes another way to squeeze money out of people.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2016, 18:43 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 14:37:
Jimmy Page Testifies as Led Zeppelin 'Stairway' Trial Heats Up.

WTF??

Shouldn't any statute of limitations for something like this have long passed? How can any witness have modicum of reliability 47 freakin' years later?

Good point, eyewitness accounts aren't particularly reliable 5 minutes after an incident let alone the 40 some years it's been. Maybe they can rename one of those song 40 years gone

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 15, 2016, 10:54 Pigeon

NetHead wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 10:18:
There's another patch for Adobe Flash that makes it much more secure, it's called

Dont.Install.That.Crap.v1

If it had an advertisement it would sound like one of those unbelievable products...

-Will make sites load faster.
-Makes devices faster.
-Saves you money (Lowers bandwidth usage/costs).
-Fewer annoying adverts.
-Makes you more secure.
-Improves stability.
-Fewer LOUD NOISES adverts.
-Longer battery life.
-Increased RAM (by not having Flash waste it).
--All for the low cost of completely FREE!

Order now and get a free JPEG telling flash to go F itself.
http://i.imgbox.com/fVdHbZr4.jpg

Though in this case, it's all true :O

Fortunately a lot of sites have moved away from flash; it has become less and less of an inconvenience not to have it. Unfortunately it has not been completely abandoned by web designers, and the march away from it is slow.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2016, 14:33 Pigeon

BobBob wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 13:46:
Weíve seen this before: San Bernardino, Orlando shootings share similarities

When are the people of this country going to be so tired of psychopaths running the streets and hurting people that we will finally take mental health seriously? Don't give me the red herrings - guns, religion, conspiracies, groups, hate, being disenfranchised, bad childhood, etc.

A normal, sane, person hasn't and won't go on a rampage.

One major problem is the horrific state of our mental health institutions. Laws and legislation has been passed and repealed that prevent mental institutions from involuntary committing people who can cause others harm. Instead they are either arrested, temporarily incarcerated (to socialize with other psychopaths), and released.

Whether you include guns or not, religion or not, belief systems or not, they are mere correlation - incubators (or catalysts) for the violent psychopath who will eventually do harm. When will people finally take a stand to say enough is enough? We need better mental health institutions, we need mandatory commitments, and we need constant intervention.

/rant

There is a pervasive ignorance surrounding mental health in this country that causes significant barriers to seeking and obtaining help. Until the large majority of the country can start to see the mentally ill as people who are just suffering form and ailment instead of personal defects; people that just don't have enough Jesus, or are just feeling sorry for themselves and need to man up, we will never see change. We won't have laws that encourage treatment, we won't have a health insurance that actually covers treatment, and most importantly we won't have people who seek treatment without fear of stigma.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 12, 2016, 19:05 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 13:37:
Is Google America Biased Toward Hilary Clinton?

Given that she got the most votes by far during the primary, I'd say America has a bias toward's Ms. Clinton.

Also, spelt with two L's.

That's only what Google wants you to believe, who knows what that extra L is trying to hide. Seriously though seems like a massive case of confirmation bias; doesn't take long to find examples where it doesn't work, or where it works for her competitors. Also who the hell is going to be stopped from looking something up because it takes 3 more letters to auto complete?

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 10, 2016, 15:45 Pigeon

Hopefully come August or September there'll be a plentiful supply of 3rd party 1070s and enough reviews to make a more informed decision on a particular brand. I have no desire to pay inflated prices or act as a guinea pig.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 8, 2016, 08:29 Pigeon

Slick wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 00:48:
"launches"....

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

I wonder what % are just being bought to be resold on Ebay for a ridiculous price.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 6, 2016, 20:31 Pigeon

The illusion their phone somehow makes them a better more interesting person?  

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2016, 14:08 Pigeon

Dev wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:45:
Saboth wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 12:58:
Exactly. They are trying to make up for the loss in TV subscriptions by creating arbitrary limits and fees. Whereas in the past you might have paid $100-$120 for TV+internet, people are dropping TV and going with internet-only, so the companies are maybe getting only $60-$80. So now they implement caps and start charging $35-$50 if you go "over" your false cap, so they still make $100+ on the consumer. So the consumer thinks: "Hmm, I can pay $40 a month for Hulu, Netflix, Sling, then $50 for overage charges, and $75 for internet for a total of $165, or I could just sign up for that Comcast TV deal for $125, and my streaming would go back down to 200-300 GB a month and I don't have to deal with those overage fees. Essentially when you buy TV, your "streaming" (transfer of data to watch TV) is free. When you use cable to stream from other sources, you are now charged for it, meaning Comcast is giving themselves a big advantage over competitors. We were using 200-300 GB when we had internet and cable TV. Now that we cut the cord, that's more like 600-700. I would think someone would point out exempting their cable service from data transfer rates while charging all other sources of TV streaming is anti-competitive.
Or, people with a clue have the option to get Comcast business for $70 and have no caps at all. (at least in areas where it's available)

For a 16Mbps/3Mbps connection and 2 year agreement. It would be $110 for me to keep the same speed I currently have, so lets not pretend that's a deal...

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2016, 11:55 Pigeon

But it sounds better than, 'our investors want exponentially increasing profits.'

The first sentence of the article sums things up pretty nicely:
Supporters of internet data caps want to have things both ways: admitting that the monthly usage limits have nothing to do with congestion, while simultaneously arguing that those who use the most should pay more (but not that those who use the least should get any discount).

The real "hilarity" is they've been driving away their paid TV customers because they're offerings aren't competitive (in a market they have a near monopoly on), so they're jacking up the price and adding gotcha fees onto to a service that's closer to a necessity.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2016, 17:55 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 16:37:
Man, I love these super productive days. Started work on a new planter bench I'm making. Mowed the lawns, washed the car, and just made a batch of pico de gallo for burritos tonight! Ole! Everyone loves some pico de gallo don't they?

Rooster beaks are the best

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2016, 10:52 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 10:33:
Task wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 10:12:
MicroShaft, tsk, tsk.

Preying on the elderly and ignorant, GO MICROSOFT.

That little bit of chicanery doubled my calls for computer work.

I imagine IT mercenaries everywhere are finding themselves with a bit more spending money.

1998 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo