Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2391 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 14:38 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2017, 13:21:
RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:48:
Audeze makes $2,495 earbuds only a audiophile fool could love.

Super cheezy name for a super expensive product.

Pretty sure it's Italian for a douche.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 13:38 Pigeon

VaranDragon wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:55:
About that Schwarzenegger/Terminator story: Meh.

I was really sad that they cancelled production on that King Conan film. That would have been cool. An old robot learning new tricks sounds bloody lame.

But an old and wise Conan, sitting on a throne? That damn scene had me going on imagination trips ever since I first saw it at the end of Conan: The Barbarian....

Agreed, but I'm sure the execu-bots know having Arnie in the film will mean it's a commercial success. Why take a chance using a new formula when you can plug in the one you've been using for 20+ years for guaranteed profit.

Also I vote we declare that lady's home a honey bee sanctuary, it may bee responsible for saving the species

On another note went to look at monitors at Frys... Someone might want to explain to them putting a static low rez Fry's logo on all their monitors is doing nothing to help sales. 1440p 1ms 165hz gsync OMG!!!!... looks just like the $99 monitor. About the only thing I could learn was 27" might be too big for my current setup. I sit 23-29" away from my current monitor (23.8" 1080p), any further and it get uncomfortable using the mouse and keyboard. Anyone using a 27" 1440p monitor that can chime in about view distance comfort? I know it's alot about personal preference, but it helps to hear other people's experiences.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 13:11 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:04:

It's been decades since I was in a public pool, now if I could only say the same for gas station nacho cheese.

Gas station nacho cheese like the movie theater hot dog, a mystery surprise of exciting and possibly undiscovered microbes. As for the pool parasites, tough little monkeys to survive in that much chlorinated water.

There is at least enough chlorine in pools to get me busted for sneaking out while grounded. It was a great plan, parents at work for the day, it was summer and I wasn't gonna let a little grounding stop me from an awesome day at the pool. I even took, and frequently used sunscreen so a burn or heavy tan wouldn't give it a way. What I didn't count on was that 6 hours in the chlorinated water and sun was going to partially bleach my hair, oops .

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 19, 2017, 08:43 Pigeon

MoonSpook wrote on May 19, 2017, 06:28:
Are they called "bounce houses" in the US (I'm assuming US here)?

It's probably the most common thing they're called along with bouncy castles. Moonwalk was common when I was a little kid, but I've not heard them called that for a long long time.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 18, 2017, 11:36 Pigeon

As I said earlier this week the big ISPs just want to be able to do whatever the fuck they want without the threat of any competition. And the current FCC can't ride that pole any harder.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 11:17 Pigeon

Very sad about Cornell, I was just listening to Like a Stone yesterday. His music was certainly part of the sound track of my teenage years.  

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 17, 2017, 16:21 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:17:
Creston wrote on May 17, 2017, 13:51:
I like how they call it "over-charging" as opposed to "blatant theft" which is what it really is.

Yep, love how they can water down crimes like this, we all need to incorporate ourselves.

If you under-pay you have to pay an extra fee, get reported to a collection agency, and they destroy your credit. If they over charge you, you have to sit through customer support hell as they make every attempt to weasel out of what they promised, and probably make a few financial threats if you say you're going to back out of the contract they didn't honor. Such a balanced relationship, they can undoubtedly be trusted to handle your personal data and deliver the service they promised.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2017, 11:55 Pigeon

"While damages sought are modest, the principle is important as defendant's behavior is a threat to civilized society," the suit said.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 16, 2017, 14:02 Pigeon

Does anyone actually believe the ISP's reasons for needing to get rid of Net Neutrality? I feel like we all know they just want free-reign to do whatever the fuck they want regardless of the effect on everyone else while being protected from other companies/industries attempting to do the same. Do we really need to watch the FCC eat the shit cake and pat it's tummy in effort to convince people it's good?  

18. Re: Off topic May 15, 2017, 22:49 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on May 15, 2017, 19:19:
Okay, old news that I have been purposely ignoring... finally read an article on the Penn State hazing death. OMG. I hope everyone involved does jail time. Absolutely ridiculous and unforgivable...

I read about it last week, the words horrific and disgusting come to mind. Complete and total fucking human garbage devoid of any redeeming quality what so ever. How do you do that to another human being, particularly one that's supposed to be 'one of your own'? I'd rather not read the details again as it'll just piss me off more, but if I remember there should be enough evidence to nail a large number of those fuckers.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 15, 2017, 10:02 Pigeon

He should have been in vent apprising every one of his WoW login status on a minute by minute basis while working through the issue with customer support!!! MINUS 100 DKP! I loved a good raid, but as a raid leader managing the logistics could be a pain in the ass; same with managing personalities, particularly when things weren’t going well.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale on June 22?
2. Re: Steam Summer Sale on June 22? May 14, 2017, 13:05 Pigeon

There is nothing special about the summer sale any more other than the convenience of all the games being on sale at the same time. I think most of the sales prices can be found at various times through out the year. Also IMO the volume of shovelware and early-access games have also muddied the waters.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 12, 2017, 09:00 Pigeon

I like how the new FCC defines competition. It's competition if another choice is near you, even though you can't actually get it. Makes sense to me  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 13:41 Pigeon

Choachy wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:35:
This is a rhetorical thinking out loud thought, but why do so many people have problems with contractors? We had an awful experience with a siding and window contractor. And it seems no matter who you talk to, if they've dealt with a contractor, they've had a bad contractor experience. Is it the nature of the business? Or rather, how they do business? Do they try to juggle too much? Is it an intelligence thing?
It seems like if you are honest, diligent, and skilled enough you could make a KILLING as a contractor because the bar is set so low by all the bad ones out there.

I think there is often a lack or problem solving/critical thinking skills in such trades. It’s not enough to be good with your hands you have to have a good internal conceptualization of what you’re doing and if/when problems arise how to deal with them. Most of my experience of bad ‘handiwork’ has been on the automotive side of things, and it has usually been an issue of the mechanic just replacing a part as opposed to actually diagnosing the problem. I’m sure part of it is just trying to do things quickly, the least amount of work to “fix” the problem.

32. Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 10, 2017, 08:27 Pigeon

MeanJim wrote on May 9, 2017, 23:54:
Pigeon wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:47:
I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know...

I saw that video a few days ago. I used to alternate between nvidia and AMD because they used to be closely matched and it just happened that when it was time to upgrade my GPU, it was the other brand that was winning. My last 4 GPUs have been nvidia though. The last time it wasn't by choice though. I bought an AMD, I forget the numbering (I think it was 47xx). After I put the card in, I saw the POST then my monitor just went to standby as the system booted up. I returned the card thinking it was defective, but the replacement was the same. I read on some forums of some people having the same issue with the card only when using DVI, so I tried the VGA port and it worked. I tried different DVI cables as suggested, but I couldn't get it to work with my monitor. I returned it and got the nvidia equivalent at the time (GTX 260 I think) which was more expensive for slightly less performance.

Since then nvidia was always the best performer for the price when it was time to upgrade. I'm still not sure I want to get a g-sync display and lock myself into nvidia cards given that I don't upgrade my display that often.

It seems like every high refresh rate display has either g-sync or free-sync in it. I haven't found a simple 1440p 144hz display without either. I've been looking all night and haven't been able to decide on something. I hate making a rush purchase, and I'm out of time now. I need to go to bed and I have to decide if I'm going to shut my system down and hope the monitor comes on tomorrow or leave the whole thing running just to keep the display powered on.

Well you can always get a free-sync monitor knowing you won't be using the free-sync part. Also 1080p monitors are cheap right now, so you could pick one up as a close gap till the 1440p market produces something you're interested in. Plus you'd have a spare/secondary monitor.

20. Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 19:47 Pigeon

MeanJim wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:00:
My current monitor has been acting up for a while. Sometimes when it wakes up on after being in standby for a while, the left side of the screen flickers, but it always stopped after a minute.

I've been putting off getting a new one for a while as it's never been more than a little flicker for a bit every now and then, but just now it had only been off (standby) for an hour or so. When I woke it up, it flickered for a few seconds, then the bottom left corner went dark. Luckily turning it off and back on lit it back up, but now I really need to get a new one before this one gets worse since I don't have a backup.

I hoped this one would last a while longer until some sort of standard came out of GSync and FreeSync, but it appears that won't happen. I currently have a 24" 1080p 60Hz display. I'm thinking of going up to 27" 1440p and 144Hz. I just built a new machine, but kept my old GPU (GTX 970) since it could run everything I have maxed out at 1080p 60fps. I'm a bit concerned that the GTX 970 can't handle some games at that 1440p and upscaling generally looks like shit.

I'm not loyal to nvidia or AMD, but I'd hate to lock myself into one brand by buying a GSync or FreeSync monitor. So this is kind of where I've been stuck in my decision making process. I can just grab a 24" 1080p monitor a lot cheaper and wait for some sort of xSync standard, or go ahead and upgrade now to a larger, higher resolution, higher refresh display with GSync (since I'm already on nvidia).

I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know how noticeably better, and the quality control is better. Apparently there are varying degrees as to how well monitor manufactures implement free-sync. On the other hand free-sync is about ~$200-$250 cheaper and should be a noticeable step up form what you have. There was a video posted a few days back doing, sort of, an apples to apples comparison between the two.

I'm kind of waiting for the 2nd gen of 1440p IPS G-sync displays to come out. Ideally I'd like to see one with HDR and the backlight bleed issues taken care of. Unfortunately the monitor manufactures seem to be pushing 4k right now for gaming monitors, so I'm not sure how much love 1440p is going to get. The only 2nd gen 1440p monitor I've seen announced was from Acer, and had a curved screen and eye-tracking, both things I have little interest in. Anyways I'm feeling ya, the adaptive sync market is a bit wonky right now, and the idea of dropping $800 on a monitor where features can only be used with one brand of video card has stopped me from pulling the trigger numerous times.

EDIT: Here's the Link that was posted on blues a few days ago.
EDIT 2: And to add to the confusion FreeSync 2 is now a thing.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2017, 20:03.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 09:57 Pigeon

Nucas wrote on May 8, 2017, 00:42:

plus this is ignoring that mike pence is less insane and more re-electable.

Actually I think he’s less (re)electable. Whatever siren’s song Trump has over, enough of, the electorate, I don’t think Pence can do that. So to us Pence seems like he should be more electable, but so did all of the other contenders in the Republican primary. Yet Trump is what they chose and Trump is what we got.

News Comments > TERA Turns Five
4. Re: TERA Turns Five May 6, 2017, 13:07 Pigeon

I tried this once, but it didn't hold my interest. I get the sense that with games like this you'll get a lot more enjoyment if you're ready to go in and RP with a group of friends; otherwise the KILL X AMOUNT OF BUSYWORKWOLVES quests just aren't going to cut it for entertainment. Gotta say, I've not felt the MMO itch in quite awhile, glad that condition finally cleared up. I think I last tried Wild Star 1-1/2 years ago, and the leveling was enjoyable, but my sociability and willingness to commit time to the end game just wasn't in it for the distance.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2017, 12:48 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2017, 10:50:
That's the weird thing about Canada. For all it's touting about how what a precious little multicultural country it is there's no real latin element to speak of. It's virtually impossible to find a latin type resto. About the only thing you see here are burrito places and even they aren't anywhere close to authentic. I know of 2 places in the country that are legit Mexican and actually sell tamales. I love tamales. It's a crime we can't get them more readily here. I'd love to see more real taqueria's here, etc.

I've always gotten the sense Canada's much touted diversity is achieved by a more liberal reporting and interpreting strategy than the US uses. This would seem to indicate Canada's diversity is much lower than the US.'s.

5. Re: Youtube May 4, 2017, 12:59 Pigeon

Creston wrote on May 4, 2017, 10:27:
I bet that dumbass would have thought it'd have been even funnier if people had gotten into an accident over it.

In any case, yep, removing federal road signs is a felony. And sure, they can donate to your legal fund, but your ass is still going to jail, because there is video evidence of you frigging committing the crime. Moron.

"BUT I DID IT FOR THE YOUTUBES!" is not a $)*#$# legal defense.

Well a good legal defense might be able to keep him out of prison, but hopefully not. I don't have much sympathy for someone whoring themselves out for attention, doing something that anyone with two functioning brain cells should know is both illegal and dangerous, and then whines about getting caught and having to have face the consequences. I hope this, and I normally hate this term, special snowflake gets to have a special experience in prison.

2391 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo