Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2587 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 15, 2018, 20:57 Pigeon

Dat monitor... to quote a famous early 90's philosopher "SHWING!"  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2018, 16:11 Pigeon

Just thought Iíd give an update since I solicited advice on headphones a little over a week ago. In light of all the positive reviews Iíd read I picked up the Arctis 5ís from SteelSeries. My first impression was, wow these are quiet, which wasnít necessarily a bad thing. The Razer Krakenís were ear bleedingly loud, so the idea of headphones that were going to be gentler with my eardrums was somewhat welcome. Unfortunately as I used them I noticed they seemed to get overwhelmed, particularly noticeable with music, but a little bit in games as well. Iím not an audiophile so I donít have the appropriate words to describe what was happening, but when there were a lot of different sounds it was like there was a ceiling for pitch, and when any tone would hit that ceiling it would just sound muted. Iíve never experienced that, even with cheap $15 earbuds. I donít know if they were defective, or what but I ended up sending them back. If they werenít defective I find it odd so many reviews rated them so highly, going so far as to claim there was no compromise in gaming and music. Makes me wonder if they gave reviewers quality units and then cheapened production for the rest of the rabble.

Either way I wasnít going to try again, so I ended up going to Fryís and having them price-match some Sony MDR-V6ís. Best sounding headphones Iíve ever had and $10s cheaper to boot. Their gaming performance is pretty good, but they might benefit from some EQ tweaking to help make things like footsteps more distinguishable, or give a rifle firing a bit more thud. My only complaint is they pinch my head a little tighter than Iíd like, but as long as I have them on properly they donít hurt my ears. Theyíre also relatively light; so long gaming sessions donít hurt my neck. The Karkenís are on the heavy side and could leave my neck feeling a bit stiff. So Thanks to Nucas who suggested those.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2018, 12:59 Pigeon

The Vista article summed up in three words:
Microsoft badly misjudged
And it still holds true today.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 11, 2018, 20:14 Pigeon

For a second there I thought we were going to see a resonance cascade. Luckily we all know a good stand for Gordon Freeman. halflife3confirmed  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 11, 2018, 08:54 Pigeon

It's not like I didn't know Rapture was an impossible feat, I just never took the time to think about just how impossible it really was. But hey it's fiction, maybe they had transparent aluminum.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2018, 10:32 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 10:11:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 10:06:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 08:09:
Numinar wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 07:22:
theglaze wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 02:37:
The president is not the problem, heís merely an output of a broken/corrupt political system that is flawed in representing the people.

I donít know what the hell you Americans are going to do... but being hopefully that it ends with his presidency is naive. Youíll have to fight harder, be more vocal and politically engaged than the Obama era.

[Edit] Carlin would think Iím too optimistic: https://youtu.be/ILQepXUhJ98

The only thing the Americans have learned or will learn about this is that billionaire media personalities win elections.

Oprah 2020... Wall

I'm sorry but I don't think she's presidential material. I think she's great and intelligent and makes good decisions and seems to be good-hearted and all that, but I don't see her being strong enough as a policymaker and enforcer. People like the idea of it because shes popular or whatever, and rich as fuck (I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing in a president), but does that make her good material to lead the country? I have my sincere doubts.

I don't think many feel she's good presidential material, just that it's fun. She's smart and warm and intuitive and seems to look out for the best for all people. Those are things we really need in a leader these days. But as you said, she has no history of being able to make policy, which we've always felt was critical but are learning exactly how critical.

Like I said, I think most are saying it because it's fun. Probably some actually want it, but in general, it's a fun thought, like if pennies were replaced with m&ms as a form of currency.

I'm just annoyed the media is running with it. This is how Trump happened; it started out as a "fun" joke, then people started to playfully rationalize it without mentioning any of the reasons why it's a horribly bad idea, then it gets some traction because so many people have the mental sophistication of a brick. Next thing you know it's tweeting covfefe at 2am from a White house bathroom.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2018, 08:09 Pigeon

Numinar wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 07:22:
theglaze wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 02:37:
The president is not the problem, heís merely an output of a broken/corrupt political system that is flawed in representing the people.

I donít know what the hell you Americans are going to do... but being hopefully that it ends with his presidency is naive. Youíll have to fight harder, be more vocal and politically engaged than the Obama era.

[Edit] Carlin would think Iím too optimistic: https://youtu.be/ILQepXUhJ98

The only thing the Americans have learned or will learn about this is that billionaire media personalities win elections.

Oprah 2020... Wall

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2018, 20:31 Pigeon

Dr. Frankenstein killed by his own monster. Bannon's mistake was thinking he lead Trump's base. Sure he may have feed ideas to Trump, but it's how Trump's dementia addled brain spat those ideas back out that really grabbed the base by it's pussy.  

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2018, 08:24 Pigeon

If only I had 100 million dogecoins I'd be rich!  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 14:32 Pigeon

Not that I'm surprised an arcade game is rigged, but I wonder that rigging would make it run afoul of gambling regulations (depending on local laws). The rigging changes it from a game of skill to a game of chance; I doubt a lot of places would be okay with a ticket dispensing slot machine in an arcade. Frankly a slot machine is more honest as it is presented as a game of chance.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 01:25 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 19:47:
sauron wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:48:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 14:07:
Anyone have recommendations for sub-$100 gaming headphones? Thinking about replacing my Razer Kraken 7.1's; the mic button doesn't work anymore, the material that covers the padding has deteriorated, and the software/drivers like to randomly break.

Noise cancellation isn't a big deal, and my onboard sound is decent (Realtek ALC1150), so 3.5mm connectors are viable.

I've been looking at the Steelseries Arctis 5/3s. Along with being great for gaming they're supposedly pretty good with music as well (once you adjust the EQ). One thing I'm curious about though is if you're connecting through 3.5mm is it still using the headset's sound-card? From what I understand, through a convoluted process, you can still configure the headphones if you're using the 3.5mm jack. This makes me think it's still using the headphones' sound card.

Anyways other recommendations are welcome. My current headphones more or less work fine, I'm just annoyed with them for the above stated reasons.

My GF got me a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones for Xmas, on sale at $175. They're not gaming cans per se, but boy are they good.

i must confess, i'd be interested to know what sauron is attracted to XD.

back on topic, he asked for sub-$100. i have a steel series set that i'm pretty happy with, though admittedly i'm no audiophile. can i ask why you want to use headphone jacks instead of USB? jacks are prone to every imaginable EM interference being an electrical signal. USB, being a digital signal, is not.

Well the theory is a well implemented on-board audio would be superior to the audio solution in the headset. I've been reading around a bit today and the overwhelming conclusion I've reached is, there are too many variables for there to be a blanket answer. The only thing I've found for certain is an external dedicated DAC is the best solution if you really care about high quality audio. I suppose with the Arctis 5 I could test it myself as I could switch between USB and 3.5mm.

I have been thinking about getting a nice pair of headphones and using a separate microphone as others have suggested. I rarely have use for my mic anymore so the convenience of a headset isn't an important factor.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciated it, even those that were twice my stated budget a guy can still look.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 14:07 Pigeon

Anyone have recommendations for sub-$100 gaming headphones? Thinking about replacing my Razer Kraken 7.1's; the mic button doesn't work anymore, the material that covers the padding has deteriorated, and the software/drivers like to randomly break.

Noise cancellation isn't a big deal, and my onboard sound is decent (Realtek ALC1150), so 3.5mm connectors are viable.

I've been looking at the Steelseries Arctis 5/3s. Along with being great for gaming they're supposedly pretty good with music as well (once you adjust the EQ). One thing I'm curious about though is if you're connecting through 3.5mm is it still using the headset's sound-card? From what I understand, through a convoluted process, you can still configure the headphones if you're using the 3.5mm jack. This makes me think it's still using the headphones' sound card.

Anyways other recommendations are welcome. My current headphones more or less work fine, I'm just annoyed with them for the above stated reasons.

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
25. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 3, 2018, 10:22 Pigeon

I understand why people are upset about this, after all being a gamer has been a bit of a stigma for decades, and only recently has it gained more acceptance. I know Iíve gotten more than my fair share of judgmental looks when Iíve told people I like to game. So itís only natural for people to be angry when an organization like the WHO comes along and declares gaming an addiction; it suddenly validates all those judgmental looks. Except thatís not whatís happening. This is merely recognizing that people who game to the point where it is detrimental to their physical, mental, social, and/or fiscal health have a disorder. Are some people going to use this as ammunition for putting down gaming as a hobby? Of course, but haters gonna hate and that should never get in the way of identifying a problem and treating it.

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:09:
But I'd say that the gaming is symptoms, not causes. Yes, gaming may enable some of that behavior in ways not found previously, but the behavior isn't due to gaming.

It could be argued most process addictions are symptoms of more pervasive mental health issues; most people with chemical addictions also have more pervasive mental health issues. But once the addiction is there you still have to treat it.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2017, 13:14 Pigeon

Brings a new meaning to cock blocked.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 15:33 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 15:11:
So I drove the Sportwagen today and that's out of the running. It has the most power by far and handles really well, it's just super uncomfortable and quite noisy to boot. Couple that with the fact that VW gives Canadians a big middle finger on price and warranty compared to the US and that eliminates them from the running. Super disappointed.

Went beack to Nissan to check out the Qashqai and Frontier and no go on them. It's insane but none of their vehicles have any leg room. I like the Frontier best out of all the smaller trucks I looked at but there's zero leg room. I'm 6' and it's not like I have what I guess would be abnormally long legs - I don't have Marfan syndrome or anything - yet you can't even get close to stretching your legs out fully. And it so stupid when you have all this room behind you in the cab. With another mere 6 or so inches of leg room it's the vehicle I probably would have bought. I guess they're designed with the Japanese in mind.

So I think I'm going to have to go through and look at the trucks again as I'd still like one best. And there's a few more SUVs I'll go check out as well. I'm going to shoot an email off to Ford to see when the Ranger will be here and how much because I may just end up waiting for one next year. I'll check to see if they're going to be making an appearance at any of the upcoming car shows in the northeast this year.

If not, looks like I'll probably be going with the Kia Niro. Man, vehicle shopping is a PITA.

Think it's annoying test driving,and trying to find a car that fits your needs? Just wait till it's time to negotiate the price

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 13:03 Pigeon

There's a possibility we could get snow New Years Eve, which would be the second time we've had snow in just over a month. Considering we usually go 5+ years between the days we have snow, twice in a month's time is a pretty significant occurrence. The weather people seem to be in disagreement with when and how much precipitation we'll get in concurrence with when we'll get hit with freezing temperatures.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 27, 2017, 19:40 Pigeon

Putin is no fool he knows it's potent stuff, or so he's heard.  

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 19:31 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:53:
Choobeastia wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:34:
So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.
I enjoyed bright and the price was right.

Same. Better story/characters than half the shit Hollywood shovels out as blockbusters. It's not amazing by any stretch, but unless you can't stand Will Smith playing a Will Smith character, it's entertaining to watch.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 13:26 Pigeon

DangerDog wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 12:43:
Poor Mark, out of all the original main cast members I think he was the only one that truly loved Star Wars.

Disney probably threatened him with breach of contract unless he recanted. In my opinion the characters were the only saving grace of the movie, except Luke. His character felt all over the place. They had an idea of what they wanted him to be, but they had no idea how to actually get the character there, so they wrote a bunch of half-baked crap. Which is how I think the actual plot was written, some vague ideas of plot points and then some really lazy writing to flesh things out.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 15:29 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 12:40:
Vio wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 12:05:
Why is my computer so slow?! The unnecessary gaming graphics settings you should sacrifice.
What a crap article they make all these claims and have a screenshot made for ants so you can compare pffft.

Not only that, but they basically go "Turn off everything except Anisotropic Filtering, because that's essentially free."

I mean, I'd have gone one step further and told people to game at 320x240. You're sure to get at least 200fps then. (or at least 40 in Star Citizen! HEYOOOOOO!!!)

So if you turn the shadows off in Shadow of War, I guess that just makes it War. It is kind of amazing it just about doubles the FPS by turning it off, it's just one shadow after all... :-rimshot-: I'll be here all night folks Jester

2587 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo