Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2202 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2017, 13:13 Pigeon

Rigs wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 12:02:
ASUS Demonstrates ROG Swift PG27UQ- 4K, 144 Hz, HDR, DCI-P3 and G-Sync.

The fuck is 'DCI-P3'? Guess I should read the article but I just can't be arsed at the moment...yeah, something something lazy something something darkside something piss off, mate...

=-Rigs-=

They don't explain it in the article as far as I can tell, but it's essentially a standard for a color gamut (in this case one that allows for the display of a wider gamut).

Also I know when they're putting a $2k price tag on a monitor they feel it needs a unique design but... ew.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2017, 13:47 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 12:42:
Mr Plinkett is right, but I still liked the movie.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 12:21:
It's going to be a very long four years...
And as for the next 4 years, we are so fucked.

Loud opinionated and ignorant, it's the new PhD. in terms of qualification/expertise.

News Comments > More Overwatch Roadhog Changes
8. Re: More Overwatch Roadhog Changes Jan 11, 2017, 13:28 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 10:29:
Ah yes, the usual Blizzard Nerf Hammer has struck again. Let's not adjust something a little bit downwards, let's just make it completely utterly useless, then adjust it back up when the cries of outrage become too overwhelming.

It's really become a concept by now. Many games employ the Blizzard Nerf Hammer method of "balancing."

I can see some wisdom in a big change, but I think you only do that when the small changes just aren't having the intended effect. As I pointed out in the previous thread, all they did by fixing Roadhog's hook was reverse the problem. Instead of completely ignoring line of sight, they changed it to where any small impedance would break the hook. Now they've adjusted that again, I still think it might be too easy to break the hook, but it seemed pretty obvious they were creating a new problem.

Ana nade, and roadhog's quantum hook are pretty much the reason behind the current, boring, 3 tank meta. So I'm fine with them being nerfed, just don't make them useless. I'd rather see other characters buffed to make them more viable (like they're trying to do with Sombra).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 10, 2017, 10:05 Pigeon

It's always amazed me how these companies get away with this stuff. If you applied these things to other products nobody would think it was acceptable. If people bought some milk and were charged a refrigeration fee and a checkout administration fee on top of the advertised price they would be livid. Unless it's a one time, optional fee, or consumer side tax i.e. sales tax, how is it not part of the price of the product and/or service?  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 9, 2017, 18:02 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 16:33:
What's Happening As The University of California Tries To Outsource IT Jobs To India.

An absolutely horrible trend that amounts to tariff free importing.

Also, H1Bs were supposed to be used for "unique" individuals that didn't exist in the US. If you're replacing someone, the person exists and the replacement isn't unique.

Unique in how little they have to pay them compared to a US worker.

7. Re: Football picks, Vegas style Jan 9, 2017, 15:22 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 13:46:
Stumbled onto this the other day, it is a Vegas pool where you pick 5 teams each week against the spread. One point for a win, .5 points for a push. $1,500 entry fee (max. of two) -- this year the winner got just over $900k won buy a Starbuck's barista....

ESPN story

2016 payouts

2017 Entry

My brain had some trouble registering your misspelling. For a quick second it thought, 'Someone bought a Starbuck's barista... well there are some cute ones.'

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2017, 13:43 Pigeon

I thought the Giants v. Packers game was the hardest to call of the lot (pretty sure I got all of my picks for this round). Both teams have played somewhat inconsistently this year, so it was hard to tell which team was going to show up. With the exception of the Houston, New England game, the matches this upcoming weekend all have a good chance of being quite epic.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 8, 2017, 17:16 Pigeon

And hear I thought the only thing they did that changed everything was the stupification chip that makes people think anything on that list was unique to the iPhone and gets them to plunk down $600 every year or so for the newest version.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2017, 14:32 Pigeon

Well so far my home team has taken advantage of a weak schedule and unfortunate injuries to advance to and deeper into the playoffs. At the moment it's looking like their luck has run out as they'll likely be facing the Patriots next week. But who knows, Brady could slip on a patch of ice this week, fall over a railing and land on Edelman.  

News Comments > Overwatch Nerfs Detailed
13. Re: Overwatch Nerfs Detailed Jan 6, 2017, 17:15 Pigeon

Phasenoise wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 16:26:

I'm guessing it's some xmas rush of mouthbreathers or maybe young kids?

I got matchmaked into a group of what sounded like tweens, squeaky cracking voices and all. It was awful, I wanted to jam a screw driver in my ear and pound it the rest of the way in with a hammer. 'Well he called me a bad Winston', 'Yo, don't mess with mah boy bro, he'll get mad you don't want him mad'. We actually ended up winning, but I couldn't hit the exit game button fast enough after the match.

But just to again echo what everyone else is saying about the matchmaking, IT BITES. I really miss traditional style servers, I'd usually find 2 or 3 with a good player base and stick to those. With this game being so heavily reliant on teams working together (it's quite difficult IMO for any single player to truly carry) I really wonder why it seems like so many players have no idea what they're doing.

7. Re: Overwatch Nerfs Detailed Jan 6, 2017, 13:22 Pigeon

Quinn wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 13:02:
Targets are now pulled directly in front of Roadhog (rather than straight to him)

I have read this line over and over and over and over and over again... but I still don't see the difference.

I had to look into this, and while I don't think the explanation makes much sense, what they did does make sense.

So basically with Roadhog there were certain situations where if you hooked the target could somehow not end up infront of Roadhog. In personal experience I've hooked opponents and had them go flying and other times where I don't know where the fuck they went. It's rare but it happens (I suspect it's due to movement and/or geography). Now supposedly this will just put the opponent in front of roadhog no mater what, more of a bugfix IMO.

Nimh wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 13:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 12:02:
Overall I still dislike Overwatch match-making as a whole though ;/ It's is by far the worst

+1 The feast/famine matchmaking is why I stopped playing. I know it's part of their "addictive gameplay" algorithm, but it's just not for me.

Agreed, this has been a lot of my frustration as well. I had a good win streak this weekend, and I've not really wanted to play cause I'm afraid of a massive losing streak, again, that will send me into the dregs. Which is pretty much what's happening... It also makes me not want to heal, I like healing, but healing for bad teams sucks goats. Yesterday I was healing for a team where everyone went off in different directions and then wondered why hey weren't getting heals... especially our 'offensive' Hanzo who hung around back while everyone was advancing the on the point (just not all from the same direction). /rant

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2017, 13:34.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2017, 13:07 Pigeon

I don' think it's much of a spoiler but secret texting everything anyways:

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 12:21:
Tarkin and Leia looked, off somehow. Still it was okay I guess, I think the tech is still a ways off before we get convincing CGI actors but we're getting there.

Response: Leia wasn't on screen for very long, so I didn't really get a good chance critique it, but Tarkin... Overall I'd say it was a very admirable effort, but certain things pulled it away from the 'real' look. A lot of the facial expressions were either too exaggerated or plastic looking. Granted this is probably the hardest thing to do in CGI, faces and facial expressions are very important in human communication so we pay a lot of attention to those kinds of details. I honestly didn't mind it though, my biggest concern is the take home message will be to other film producers that most people couldn't tell, and they will then do half-assed versions of it and/or be more judicious with its use.

2. Re: Overwatch Nerfs Detailed Jan 6, 2017, 11:53 Pigeon

That is a big nerf to Ana. While I agree it needed to be nerfed, I think it’s one of the reasons for the undesirable 3 tank meta, such drastic changes seem more knee jerk than systematic.

Personally sad about the changes to D.Va, one of the few characters I felt I played well enough that I could semi-carry an otherwise ineffective team. I dive the crap out of the opposing team, take out or at least harass their healers enough they’re not really healing, and chase down anyone low health or some sort of status ailment (and punish Pharah for showing her face). But I think all of that should still be more than viable, I just have to be more careful. Her ability to GTFO is really what makes her good in those situations, and true enough to the patch notes the only character I really feared was Mei. Not because she could solo kill D.Va (she can’t), but because she could freeze D.Va long enough for the rest of the team to respond.

Not enough of a buff to Sombra to make her effective IMO. Too many heroes left clicks are too strong for it to matter much. I feel like they really don’t know what they want Sombra to do, she has scout/harassment based abilities like tracer, but not as strong, but also has utility with support which means she has to stay closer to the main group to take full effect.

I voiced my thoughts on Roadhog in the previous thread, but basically broken hook is broken, but will the changes be buggy in the other direction.

As always I guess we can only see how this shakes out in actual game play.

MattyC wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 11:34:
I feel like the Roadhog change was needed, but I really haven't played enough lately to comment on the others. I only really came back when the holiday event started.

They are, I imagine the buggy nature of it is probably more prominent in the higher levels of competitive (where players have the skill to take advantage of it more consistently), but I've been on both ends of it in the lower and mid echelons. As I said it remains to be seen if they way they changed it doesn't introduce the opposite problem.

2. Re: G-SYNC HDR Monitors... Jan 5, 2017, 11:24 Pigeon

I'm just going to go ahead and start finding a buyer for one of my kidneys now so I'll be ready to pounce when those monitors come out...  

News Comments > Overwatch Roadhog Nerfs Incoming
3. Re: Overwatch Roadhog Nerfs Incoming Jan 4, 2017, 14:59 Pigeon

Fion wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 13:56:
Yea they really need to do something to break up the current meta. It's almost as bad as early on in the games release when every pro team ran 2 Winston, 2 Tracer & 2 Lucio lol.

I expected this nerf but I gotta say, I'm surprised there aren't Symmetra nerfs mentioned anywhere. I mean her photon beam out-DPS's most the actual DPS heroes and has the added benefit of being auto-hit. I've seen this 100 HP/100 Shield Support character solo-take down Raging Winston.

I think part of the problem with their balance is so much of it is done to balance at the higher rank of competitive, where a low skill cap hero like Symmetra is fairly easily countered by higher skill capped heores played by skilled players.

I think Phara fits into the same category (though I think she takes more skill to play than symmetra). A decent Phara player can absolutely wreck teams in the low golds and below ranks because people don't look up, or feel dealing with her is the sole responsibility of one team member, i.e. soldier.

I know it's not easy to do, and I certainly understand wanting to make sure top level play is balanced, but I think they should try to keep the lower levels of play (where most of the player base is) in mind too.

And since I'm complaining about things, and this has nothing to do with balance but... Dammit Lucios stop jumping in front of me right as I try to nano Rein >_<

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2017, 14:31 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 11:20:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 11:14:
“While various statistical explanations for this ‘no-result’ finding have been considered, none are consistent with increasing revenues, which suggests the explanation lies elsewhere.”

According to McKenzie, there could be several explanations why box office attendance wasn’t influenced. Pirates might simply be continuing their old habits because the catch rate is relatively low, or it’s possible that they’re taking measures to hide their piracy habits. Through VPNS or by switching to streaming or cyberlocker services which aren’t monitored, for example

Or maybe, assuming moderate attempts to curtail blatant mass piracy, piracy has little to no impact on box office revenue. The same as it's always been pirated copy does not necessarily mean a lost sale. I'd say one conclusion you could take from their research is whatever effect piracy is having it is so minuscule it is overwhelmed by other effects.

Doesn't necessarily, yet some absolutely does. If there was no piracy, would the average pirate consume no media? No, he'd definitely pay for more.

More likely, "don't pirate this" warnings just don't deter people that already don't care about their pirating, either because they just don't care or because they spend time moralizing it with things like "it doesn't hurt anyone" or "my pirating it just increases public awareness and will actually make those people money!"

Even if you could hypothetically stop all piracy I don't think it'd be enough to make a truly noticeable difference. Marketing, economy time of year, and stickiness of theater floors probably have a much larger impact on box office revenues than current levels of piracy. To be clear I'm not advocating piracy, or excusing it. Even if its not the same as breaking into someone's home or stealing a car it is still stealing. I'm just of the opinion things like those annoying condescending ads, or worse measures that increase the cost and/or difficulty of consuming the media are useless or in some cases harmful to the consumer and industry.

News Comments > Overwatch Roadhog Nerfs Incoming
1. Re: Overwatch Roadhog Nerfs Incoming Jan 4, 2017, 11:41 Pigeon

Hopefully this should minimize the BS hooks. I've been on both ends of it, and while not frequent it is certainly a problem. My only concern with the proposed changes is it will make it too easy to break a hook. Currently getting 1 or 2 key hooks is very important at breaking a choke point where it's generally easier to break LoS. Maybe increasing the speed of the chain would help that along with the other changes. Guess we'll see how it all shakes out when the change hits. Not a huge fan of this 3 tank meta. 3 tanks 2 healers and that's most of the group composition spread across 7 out of the 23 heroes. Granted at this time Roadhog is more of a DPS than the tank he is classified as, but he's pretty essential for that setup.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2017, 11:14 Pigeon

“While various statistical explanations for this ‘no-result’ finding have been considered, none are consistent with increasing revenues, which suggests the explanation lies elsewhere.”

According to McKenzie, there could be several explanations why box office attendance wasn’t influenced. Pirates might simply be continuing their old habits because the catch rate is relatively low, or it’s possible that they’re taking measures to hide their piracy habits. Through VPNS or by switching to streaming or cyberlocker services which aren’t monitored, for example

Or maybe, assuming moderate attempts to curtail blatant mass piracy, piracy has little to no impact on box office revenue. The same as it's always been pirated copy does not necessarily mean a lost sale. I'd say one conclusion you could take from their research is whatever effect piracy is having it is so minuscule it is overwhelmed by other effects.

News Comments > New Overwatch Map Launches
6. Re: New Overwatch Map Launches Jan 4, 2017, 08:52 Pigeon

Yeah, I've been playing a lot; very active user base too queues for competitive are often less than a minute, and the other modes aren't much longer depending on the time of day.

I'd like to see some different map types, like CTF, that might shake up the play style a bit and give some of the heroes a bit more value in competitive than they currently have.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 21:38 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 15:16:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 13:13:
freesync+HDR, yes please. I can only hope with the widespread industry adoption of freesync Nvidia will be forced to support it. While it's hard to do an exact apples to apples comparison g-sync appears to add an extra $200-250 over the price of a similar free-sync monitor. IMO you're better off pumping that money into a better video card. I seem to remember reading somewhere that gsync laptops worked in the same way as free-sync, i.e. they didn't have the proprietary gsync chip, and all the work was done on the GPU.

The FPGA module itself is only like $50, add another $30 for associated manufacturing costs but monitor manufacturers are pricing some profit into the equation. That's understandable because G-Sync is the significantly better tech right now and it's very desirable with enthusiasts as a result. Most of the FreeSync monitors I've tested had garbage ranges and the few with decent ones were priced very highly themselves.

I disagree with your assessment about "better off spending more on the video card" too. A monitor is multi-generational, you can have them for a very long time. Video cards are really hit and miss, some cards like an 8800GTX are real time winners but others barely limp past a few years of effectiveness. I would have no problem saving up a bit and dropping $800 on a monitor, you stare at it all the time so quality is important and I want something that will do the rest of my setup justice. I'd also point out that uneven framerate consistency is where Freesync/G-Sync shine. If you dump $800 into a video card then you don't really need it at all, you're going to push high frames in everything...for the 3 years that card is relevant anyway.

Well the cost has been a bit of a pissing match between Nvidia and the manufacturers. It's my understanding gysnc is requiring a slightly different manufacturing process. The housing (bezel) needs to be redesigned from the standard housing the manufactures use to accommodate the chip. Considering the production yield of gsync monitors is a lot smaller than that of other monitors the manufacturing costs are spread across a smaller pool. And while I have no doubt monitor manufactures are applying an enthusiast tax, I also have reservations that nVidia is being entirely honest about the true costs of adding the chip.

I agree a monitor is a longer term investment than a video card, but that also works against nVidia's favor. As a proprietary technology you'll be locked into an nVidia card if you want to take advantage of all those extra features you paid for, and there's no telling when they'll drop or change the standard in future generations of GPUs. While you could say the same of free-sync, being an open standard there are more parties invested in the technology.

I'm not saying gsync should go away, at the moment it is the better solution, but free-sync gets job done in most cases and is $200 cheaper to boot. While I've not had chance to compare monitors directly it's my understanding the differences are unnoticeable or barely noticeable in actual use. I think there's room in the market for both, but I'd like a choice and not to be locked into one brand of video card because of the monitor I've bought.

2202 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo