Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2546 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 18:18 Pigeon

Hoop wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 15:26:
Read the article on the boy with the tumor, thank science he has the right people around him now. Then go to the Mariah Carey paranoid pity party, so tragic how humiliating for her what a trooper.
F*^& the entertainment industry.

It's always possible she was a complete and total bitch to the production crew and they really were out to make her look bad

Also poor kid, one helluva welcome to puberty. Hope the surgery goes well for him.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 23, 2017, 14:39 Pigeon

Seems unnecessary to have it's own disorder. It should just be labeled a process addiction and then given a specifier.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2017, 10:19 Pigeon

After dealing with a car repair place that did a less than adequate job, that marmot is my spirit animal right now.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 19:01 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 15:46:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 15:21:

My car has 17"s but also comes in 19"s. I've been given a loaner with the the 19"s when I was having warranty work done and didn't really notice the difference. IMO it comes down to how much you like the look of the larger tires vs. the increased cost of up keep.
All things being equal (and that your car and suspension is designed/tuned for the size, sidewall height stays proportional etc) a taller tire will provide a more comfortable ride.
Imagine driving around on 4 inch tires, you would feel every imperfection in the road that a 14" tire would roll over with ease.

The issue with taller tires is that generally they decrease in aspect ratio (sidewall height) and have to make up for it with stiffer sidewalls, therefore decreasing the vehicles effective suspension.

Well when you're looking at different trims of the same car the tire size is really rim size. So a 19" rim is going to have a shorter sidewall than a 17" rim. I don't think the actual tire size changes at all, just the rim. Having a physically larger tire would require more work than just swapping out tires.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 15:21 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 14:34:
So I reckon the Steam sale is starting tomorrow, jah?

Any car guys have thoughts on tires/rims? In my research it seems to be that smaller rims and tires 15/16" provide a more comfortable ride and better fuel economy. Is that true? I've honestly never given a lot of thought to tyres/rims. I do know however I don't like those stupid large ones and low profile tires that hip hop artists all seem to be enamored with.

I just ask because the models I'm looking at range from 16/17/18 inch depending on the package. Can you get a better package with the smaller tires and corresponding price break?

IMO large tires generally look nicer (there are limits to this) and they supposedly offer better handling in good driving conditions. Any change in fuel economy is probably negligible unless you primarily drive long distances at higher speeds. Even then things like buying tires with low roll resistance probably effect fuel economy more than the rim size.

They will be more expensive when it's time to replace them, and the rims will be more susceptible to damage if you brush a curb or hit a pothole.

My car has 17"s but also comes in 19"s. I've been given a loaner with the the 19"s when I was having warranty work done and didn't really notice the difference. IMO it comes down to how much you like the look of the larger tires vs. the increased cost of up keep.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 18:05 Pigeon

WaltC wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 15:51:
The house passed the rich people bailout.
obligatory

I won't belabor the point, but hopefully you are aware that the (D) party *always* opposes any tax cuts that are presented? Always. And their reasoning is exactly the same, every time--because some "rich people" might benefit. That's all the (D)s care about, really. If three rich people save $20 but 30,000,000 middle-class Americans save several hundred dollars + in taxes paid, you can count on the (D) party to oppose it. And why? (D)s reason that the more of your money *they control* through high taxation, the more power they have in the government and the less power you and I as individuals have. The "rich people bailout" is a scam that the (D)s faithfully use to try and derail every tax cut that comes along these days. Vote (D) in the US if you like and admire the Cuba-Venezuela style of governing--the (D)s certainly do...;) Everyone is dirt poor in those countries ("equal") except the upper crust ruling elites who are all rich. The (D)s in Washington want to be those elites--I think they dream of it every night.

Democrats voted overwhelmingly for tax payer relief act of 1997 as did republicans, so you're wrong on that front. As far as Cuba goes I could just as easily point to a country like Norway or Germany that have strong social programs and routinely rank above the US in terms of quality of life. We've seen this trickle crap before and we know how it ends, it failed miserably in Kansas, it failed in 2000's, and failed in 1980's. It's going to fail in over the next 10 years as well.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 14:39 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 13:14:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 11:17:
I'm not saying it was aliens, but you've got unidentified high-performance aircraft penetrating your airspace. That's a national security issue. We need to get to the bottom of it.

It's not a national security issue if they're your own country's high-performance aircraft, which is a safe bet that's what all these are.

A project that only a few dozen people in government, along with a few dozen engineers and five test pilots know about is going to be seen as a UFO by everybody else. That doesn't mean it needs to have hundreds of millions of dollars spent on it to investigate it.

The problem with UFO's is when people see things they don't understand they are quick to fill in the gaps with explanations that don't necessarily represent reality. For example Venus, yes the planet, is often mistaken for a UFO. Because it shines brighter than any other object, excluding the moon, and is often close to the horizon it doesn't look like other 'stars'. People think it's a bright object hovering several feet off the ground a few miles or so away. It's an easy one to identify and disprove as a UFO, but a lot of people still think it's a UFO.

So when you only have one or two witnesses that are seeing something they don't understand, you have to remember that their brains are filling in the gaps and effecting their perception. What they think is happening may not, and is probably not, what is actually going on.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 19, 2017, 13:11 Pigeon

MacLeod wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 12:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 09:58:
I enjoyed the 2 seasons of Dirk Gentlyís Holistic Detective Agency.

Note that showrunner Max Landis has indicated that while BBCA has pulled out, AMC is still on board, so if the Netflix international premier in January (the 5th or 8th I believe) can do solid numbers, there is a chance it can continue.

I've only seen the first season, but really enjoyed it. I hope someone else picks it up.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 13:04 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 11:24:
Whatever you do, don't watch 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' in 3D.

This x 1000.

Whatever else you can say about the movie, it's gorgeous in 2D.

Yeah saw it in 2D had no desire to spend more to see a lower picture quality film. I did watch TFA in 3D when it came out, I will acquiesce that the lightsaber fight in the snowy forest was amazing with the 3D... everything else was garbage though.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 21:00 Pigeon

Has The Onion started posting satire in the comments sections of random websites? Neat idea, but I worry people might take it seriously.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 16:56 Pigeon

I'm sure that was a really sick burn in Ted's mind. To everyone else it was a borderline incoherent tweet that displayed he knows nothing about Star Wars, nor why people are upset about the end of net-neutrality. Sorry Ted, only your buddy Trump gets a pass on babbling incoherent tweets. I know it's not fair but them's the breaks.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2017, 17:57.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 17, 2017, 21:25 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 11:27:
The new firefox is my daily driver.

The Walking Dead petition will have as much effect as the petition i created asking Disney to remake the latest SW:TLJ and make it a BETTER movie.

The walking dead jumped the shark years ago when they used full-auto instead of single fire considering they live in an ammunition scarce universe.

At this point the writers are just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
17. No subject Dec 17, 2017, 20:49 Pigeon

Just watched it this afternoon and quite I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. It's strengths were much like TFA's, good likeable characters struggling with believable emotions, and for the most part, motivations. Mark's performance wavered between great and 'oh crap I forgot I'm not voice acting'. I know some people didn't like how Finn acted, but I've always felt he's just a big derp, so him temporarily losing the emotional sense of urgency seems fitting.

The plot was a train wreck, and the space battles less than epic. I can't help but feel the subordinate officers' quips were aimed at calling attention to how awful the battles were. I mean one of the guys pointed out how they should have sent out fighters 5 minutes ago, aka as soon as an enemy fighter approached them.

And yes as so many of you aptly call it the OJ chase scene has to be the worst plot point of all the movies. SO much WTF about all of that.

Snoke's death has grown on me, I think my initial disappointment was simply because I wanted to know more about the character, but I'm good with the ole hubris kills end. And when I think about it, how interesting was Darth Hefner actually going to be? If you don't want to get killed like a bitch maybe you should change out of your bathrobe and slippers.

And finally what the hell was with the little stable urchins? I seriously felt like a digitally rendered Michael Jackson was going to jump out and start singing Smooth Criminal.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 13:30 Pigeon

Was going to watch the new movie this weekend, but the person I was going with got sick, so not sure if that's happening. Hearing y'all's comments is helpful though, keeps my expectations nice and low.

The biggest thing for me on what makes a movie is likeable/interesting characters who have clear motivations. And by clear I mean you can understand the decisions they make without huge leaps in logic, or having to guess their emotions. This is what ruined Rogue One for me, the main characters had the charisma of a turnip, and then only seemed to be motivated to do things when the plot demanded it. TFA had plot holes you could fly a Star Destroyer through, but the characters were likeable and you understood their actions.

21. Re: Doug Jones takes it in Alabama!!! Dec 12, 2017, 23:06 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 22:24:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 21:55:
It's certainly a nice thought, but betting against stupid seems a quick way to lose money lately. What I want to know is if a state can be dishonorably discharged from the union.
So now Moore is banned from a mall in Alabama and the US Senate.
Alabama, for once you done good.

Leaving the Senate is the only good thing Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III has ever done in his 70 years.

Huzzah my faith in humanity has been restored a little bit. I mean a guy who helped put two KKK members that bombed a church in prison beat a pedophile by less than a single percentage point, but it's nice to know the majority of Alabama voters draw the line somewhere. Now on to the next circus, the recount!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2017, 21:55 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 21:26:
With just under half the precincts reporting it looks like Doug Jone might win.
tracking the Alabama election

It's certainly a nice thought, but betting against stupid seems a quick way to lose money lately. What I want to know is if a state can be dishonorably discharged from the union.

News Comments > AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers
1. Re: AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Dec 12, 2017, 13:47 Pigeon

I see AMD has chosen the energy drink route of branding...  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2017, 13:46 Pigeon

Iíve been sick twice in less than a monthís time, and I normally get sick maybe once every other year. The first one was bad with high fever and a cough that persisted until I got sick a 2nd time. Iím still suffering from the after effects and wishing I could take a nap at work.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2017, 16:19 Pigeon

Bad News for the Highly Intelligent: Spoilers, it's the rest of the human race!  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Dec 8, 2017, 17:59 Pigeon

That dog shaped Roomba went right to the mess and started cleaning immediately. They've really improved those things.  

2546 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo