Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2389 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2017, 15:30 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2017, 15:08:
The Genius Reason You Should Take a Photo of Your Stove Before You Travel

If you're generally worried about your appliances being left on, take photos not just of your stove, but of your unplugged straightener, you're deadbolt turned the right direction (burglars won't be able to waltz on in!)

Um, to take a picture of your deadbolt, you need to be on the inside of the house...

When I leave for vacation, I check all of the doors. And the windows. About 17 times. I then make sure each knob on the stove is turned to "off" and start the whole process over again just for good measure... there's a very simple hack that will change the way you travel forever. Instead of wondering hours or days later if you left the oven on, take a photo of the knobs in the "off" position before you leave!

Or better yet seek psychological help for your OCD. Unless you're chronically forgetful and have at numerous times forgotten to do such things, you're better off reminding yourself that's not something you forget to do, and if need be sitting with the discomfort instead of giving into it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 22, 2017, 13:30 Pigeon

SlimRam wrote on Jul 22, 2017, 12:47:
afka Rossini wrote on Jul 22, 2017, 12:32:
A second season of Iron Fist eh? Can anyone give me a reason to finish the first season? I got about five or six episodes in and can't bring myself to watch any more of this snoozefest.
Ditto, watched about 3 episodes and see no reason for it to continue.

The last 2-3 episodes are a bit better, but this was certainly the weakest of the netflix/marvel shows. I think the main problem is the title character is about exciting as dry wall. IMO all the supporting cast upstages IronFist in terms of having interesting stories/motivations; I found myself caring more about what was going on with the Meachums than Danny Rand. And most of the fight scenes involving the Ironfist were boring. You expect it to be like Dare Devil with more Kung-Fu goodness, but all you get is a bunch of quick overly zoomed in shots. Again the best fight scene was the Collen Wing cage match; not an Ironfist fight. Maybe they'll realize the mistakes and fix them for season 2, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2017, 13:12 Pigeon

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 10:40:
I really liked Spider-Man except for 1 thing. I am tired of companies either white washing movies (The Ghost in the Shell), or forcing diversity on a character that has been established for decades. Fox tried this with Fantastic Four and it didn't work, and the backlash at Sony for doing this is getting worse.
As Stan Lee mentioned, people don't have a problem with diversity, but you just don't mess with something that has been established for so long.

One of my favorite lines from a review was, 'A cast of diverse high-schoolers that would make college brochure designers jealous.' That said it may very well be a relatively accurate depiction of an NYC STEM high school. Despite noticing it I can't say it bothered me.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 10:36:
PHJF wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 10:14:
I'd say a congressman asking a question of a scientist is an improvement over the current trend of politicians circumventing or ignoring scientists altogether.
That's giving this guy WAY TOO much credit. Any reasonably educated person would not have asked this question. It wouldn't be any more ridiculous if he had asked if they'd found a Stargate in Egypt.

Maybe the next revision of the DSM can include Alex Jones disorder. That way there's a quick way to diagnose people who ignore the most relativistic and often mundane explanation in favor of bizarre whack-a-doodle conspiracies.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 09:45 Pigeon

Wow, Ford is getting really competitive with the kinds of options they offer.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 15, 2017, 20:06 Pigeon

Who cares if the White House released names, phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses and places of work of the people who complained; they're illegals who voted illegally anyways. /s

Whether through incompetence or incompetence with malicious intent (there's no version of this that doesn't contain incompetence) they have demonstrated exactly why they can't be trusted.

The Federal Register notice soliciting comments was published on July 5. The White House page was published on July 13.

Approximately half of the emails published by the White House were dated prior to July 5.

FYI the White house page is where it says they'll publicly publish all information sent to them. If only the people who commented had looked a week into the future they could have been better informed about how their personal information would be handled.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2017, 15:20 Pigeon

Utilities argue that rules allowing private solar customers to sell excess power back to the grid at the retail price — a practice known as net metering — can be unfair to homeowners who do not want or cannot afford their own solar installations.

Unfair to other customers... uh huh. I'm going to hazard a guess and say any unfairness to the other customers is done by the power companies. They probably hike their rates to make up for perceived losses in profit from people not needing to use as much of their electricity and having to buy back electricity at their own rate.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 8, 2017, 16:03 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 12:46:
This was posted here before, I emailed it to my group and it got rave reviews. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/207697382882672645/331525633089732608/vnUyDCR.png

He makes GW look like a master of prose; he can't string together a few sentences using more than same 3 or 4 words. Buzz Aldrin's expressions during his space speech pretty much exemplify how I feel every-time I hear the man talking.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2017, 12:01 Pigeon

I've been trying to catch up on all the marvel movies. I have seen the ones that have come out this year. Logan was amazing, and GG2 was fun and had some good moments. I also watched Wonder Woman last weekend and concur it was a really good film. Maybe DC can learn something from Wonder Woman and start to improve the quality of their films. I have high hopes for Sipderman homecoming, might be able to see it tonight if I can take care of some other issues first.

So far I'd say Logan>WonderWoman>Guardians2, for ranking the films.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 5, 2017, 18:13 Pigeon

Oh shit being a complete douche on the internet had consequences!!! Maybe there's some hope for the future of society after-all. And while it's nice to see a nasty troll get their comeuppance, I will say CNN handled the news with a complete lack of class. When I first saw the headline it was a big banner up at the top of their site they usually reserve for when something important happens. That multi-billion dollar news corporation sure taught that basement dweller a lesson; justice was served Rolleyes  

News Comments > More Overwatch Doomfist Clues
1. Re: More Overwatch Doomfist Clues Jul 5, 2017, 14:01 Pigeon

They've been teasing/hyping this for months; which seems ridiculous as it's only going to be another character, of which they've released 1 new one since they've been teasing Doom Fist. At this point it can only end in disappointment as he will be just as good/bad as all the other characters.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2017, 10:54 Pigeon

There was one striking difference between pet and human obesity data: geography. As the Washington Post points out, some of states with the highest rates of human obesity—such as Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi—had some of the lowest rates of pet obesity.

Instead, Banfield researchers noted that skinny pets in states with high human obesity rates also had some of the highest rates of parasites. This hints that pet weight issues may be more strongly linked to pet owner and veterinary care than the weight of pet owners per se. But there’s not enough data to make firm conclusions.

It's probably rural vs. urban. Urban pets are generally house bound and don't get as much exercise, but also are less likely to be exposed to parasites, while rural pets are likely to be free-ranging which gives them a lot more exercise, but puts them in more contact with parasites.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2017, 13:17 Pigeon

BobBob wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 13:07:
Smartphone texting is the bane of every cyclist.

I avoid riding on non-neighborhood streets as much as I can. Even without cell-phones distracting them, a lot of people do not recognize bikes as valid street traffic. Neighborhoods aren't great either, but the speeds tend to be slower and there are plenty of driveways and sidewalks to escape onto.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 08:46 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 21:02:
The most powerful semi-auto round in the world is probably the .50 Action Express, guess if they had a revolver it would have been a .454 Casull.

What a waste.

An article linked in the link says it was a .50 desert eagle; no telling what kind of round they had either. It's tragic, but it sounds like between them they don't have two brain cells to rub together.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: PS4 video experince Jun 28, 2017, 14:14 Pigeon

If by improved they mean made to look worse, then I agree. Already paying/subscribing to those services don't need to be advertised to about what's on them.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2017, 13:28 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 13:17:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 12:10:
A better article would be the follow-up of what these monsters are getting for prison time. All of these constitute wire fraud and bank fraud which are 20 years and 30 year sentences respectfully...for each count. I think a 20 year minimum sentence for these sorts of scams would be a good start and about the only deterrent that would work, Some of these more egregious offenders should be getting life without parole. That'd send a clear message, And these online funding platforms need to take the time to remind would be scammers of that.
Yes, because as the War on Drugs has shown, incarcerating a million people has completely removed drugs from society.

I'd argue drug use is different from fraud in terms of why people engage in that activity and how each is deterred ought to differ. Drug users would be better off receiving treatment for an addiction than incarceration. Then again our criminal justice system is setup from a perspective of revenge and punishment as opposed to rehabilitation and treatment.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 27, 2017, 11:59 Pigeon

Confusingly, Zillow does not even own the images in question. Instead, Zillow licenses them from the rights holders. As such, it remains unclear why the company would have standing to bring a lawsuit against Wagner.

From another article on the subject:
Somewhat ironically, Zillow was just involved in its own legal battle over copyrighted content, where the real estate site was found guilty of copyright infringement on more than 28,000 photos and ordered to pay about $4.1 million in total damages.

So basically it’s just another unscrupulous .com business that’s only interested in legality when they think it will benefit them.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2017, 10:07 Pigeon

Charity attracts fraudsters and scammers, news at 11.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 26, 2017, 21:47 Pigeon

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:15:
Cram wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 21:13:
Fair point, yet FF3 (6) and Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2).

It's a pretty solid lineup on that thing. The Chrono Trigger gambit, curious.

Star Fox 2...that's a thing 20 years later apparently

SNES had way better games than the NES on the whole so the lineup is much more impressive. Earthbound is another supremely good game. Maybe they just didn't want to stick another Square game on there?

Square's SNES games were amazing, they could probably do a version of this with just those on it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 22, 2017, 21:28 Pigeon

[Dring the time Mr. Luna spent calling, the contractors had cut three additional cable lines. Defendants paid no notice to Telecom’s markings and continued to destroy Telecom’s lines, and Telecom's complaints fell on deaf ears. One would like to believe that the destruction was accidental, but the comprehensiveness of it—coupled with Comcast’s prior interest in Telecom—renders such a conclusion doubtful. Within six weeks, Defendants destroyed or damaged the lines servicing every single Telecom customer in Weston Lakes, and not one of those lines was ever repaired by Defendants.

Holy crap, I sure hope there's a lot more to this story and it's not just an example of Comcast being blatantly evil. I mean it's Comcast so I'm sure it's true, but I'd rather it weren't.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Launches
40. Re: Steam Summer Sale Launches Jun 22, 2017, 21:13 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2017, 19:17:
I need the ability to add a weight score to the games I have in my wishlist. It has grown so large, it would be ideal to sort by how I've previously rated my anticipation.

But yeah KY that looks like a good years worth of gaming there.

I haven't pulled trigger but I'm looking at:
Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Soma
FO4
The Division
Elite:D
NBA 2K17
House of the Dying Sun
Abzu (From past recommendations here)
Firewatch
Banished

Others:
Dead Secret
Couple Telltale's
One of Ruzar - Keep - Deep Paths (FPDC)
Rage for a song at 2.49

A couple of those are on my radar too.

FO4, crap still working on witcher 3, and I've not even finished Skyrim yet. Not sure if I need another massive 'go fuck off and do whatever you want 200+ hours of gameplay' game. I love them, specially witcher, but damn they eat my time like nothing else.

I definitely want a space sim like Elite: D or House of the Dying Sun. I worry the former will present the same problem as FO4, and the later will be cool for the first hour then just a repetitive slog.

I've played a little bit of Abzu, if you like the chill atmospheric games it's worth nabbing.

There are definitely things I want and I don't have much of a backlog of games right now, but just not truly excited by anything. I've gorged myself on some great games, and now Steam is asking me what I want to eat tomorrow.

2389 Comments. 120 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo