Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1996 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2016, 17:28 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 16:17:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 13:50:
Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 12:39:
And the end result produced 3.7 grams of pyrimethamine – the chemical name of Daraprim.

“That’s about $110,000 worth of the drug,” Dr Williams said.

Yes, that's what Turing says it costs to make that much of the drug. How much did it cost these kids to make that? $20. $20 fucking dollars. Unreal. Americans should be running riot in the streets over how they get screwed by PhRMA.

In fairness they don't have to pay the bloated salary of a CEO; various executives and make sure investors are rolling in profit...

How does that change what it costs to make it? What they charge and what it costs are vastly different things as we see here.

It was just a sarcastic comment regarding what is considered part of the cost.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2016, 13:50 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 12:39:
And the end result produced 3.7 grams of pyrimethamine – the chemical name of Daraprim.

“That’s about $110,000 worth of the drug,” Dr Williams said.

Yes, that's what Turing says it costs to make that much of the drug. How much did it cost these kids to make that? $20. $20 fucking dollars. Unreal. Americans should be running riot in the streets over how they get screwed by PhRMA.

In fairness they don't have to pay the bloated salary of a CEO; various executives and make sure investors are rolling in profit...

News Comments > On Overwatch Season 3 Placement
1. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 13:07 Pigeon

I was 3-6-1 and got ranked a few points below gold. I figured it would be worse since several of my teams were straight up awful and we got rolled pretty hard, but my personal play was good in most of the games. It was also almost exactly where I was for the 3 days I played season 2, so I can’t argue with what’s presented in the video. If it’s true they weighted previous rank heavily in the calculation, that’s pretty messed up.  

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Dec 2, 2016, 09:29 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 09:00:
Pigeon, I think it's phrasing. Some people say 'I'm having problems, is anyone else?" most seem to say "this game is a piece of shit" of course those not having problems and enjoying the game don't react helpfully to that.

You've got a good point; if the original question is loaded with venom it'll get answered in kind. And not to further over analyses what was essentially a joke, but I'd also like to add there is value in knowing others with similar equipment aren't experiencing the same problem.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 2, 2016, 08:56 Pigeon

#2 is a way of life here at Blue's; 'runs fine for me so I can only assume it's not working on your machine because you're a terrible person and you fail at life' . Okay mostly kidding about that, other gaming sites (particularly messages boards run by the company)are much much worse in that respect.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2016, 07:56 Pigeon

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 07:46:
The only people who use AT&T internet are the the clueless. Unless you are one of those rare customers that have access to their fiber they offer the worst internet of anyone.

Or you have no choice in internet provider because the ISPs have carved out territories like a pack of mobsters.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 30, 2016, 22:24 Pigeon

Saboth wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 20:51:
I'm guessing Trump's incoming teams take us all for the fools that voted him into office. Lady, there were instances of ISPs slowing service from some companies before Net Neutrality. They were all obviously heading that direction. Deregulating these monopolies is good for only the ISPs and bad for customers and thousands of businesses and workers. For the greater good of the country, Title II is needed. It's going to stifle innovation and competition if only giant corporations are able to pay extortionist fees so Comcast or AT&T don't slow their traffic, while small startups can't afford to pay the extortion.

Also, regarding the new rule that allows the government to hack citizens: "The rule also gives federal judges the authority to issue a warrant to search multiple computers—even without knowing who is the targeted computer owner". Yeah, I think there was something in the Constitution about probable cause, but I guess we don't need that old scrap of paper these days anyhow. Just give up all rights and privacy to protect us from the scary terrorists and pedophiles.

On the plus side Amazon is still selling 55 gallon drums of personal lube. Infact I need to look into buying some stock in that company; I get the feeling they're going to do a lot of business when the reaming starts.

News Comments > Delicious Overwatch Cheater Tears
3. Re: Delicious Overwatch Cheater Tears Nov 30, 2016, 13:47 Pigeon

*points* Haw-haw

There's only been two times where I've suspected chicanery. A bastion that insta-locked on targets, even things coming up behind it, and a Genji that just wouldn't die and on replay whose health seemed to regenerate for no apparent reason. I didn't bother to investigate, and particularly on the second one I mentioned it's probably just missed things; accuracy wise and not noticing him running over health packs or getting healed. Even moderately well played genjis frustrate me like no other character.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Free GotY Upgrade on GOG.com
5. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Free GotY Upgrade on GOG.com Nov 30, 2016, 13:26 Pigeon

nin wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 12:44:
Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 12:40:
You guys RAWK!

Are there any major differences between the game plus DLCs and the GOTY edition? Anyone know offhand?

They should be identical. But on the ps4 the save files are not compatible, I believe. Surely they didn't do the same on pc?

They should work on the PC. Though when I fired up my GOTY edition I swear I saw something about not being able to revert back to regular edition.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2016, 10:27 Pigeon

I always say when you buy something, particularly expensive electronics, don't go looking searching for prices afterwards, you're probably not going to like what you find. Of course I can never follow my own advice as I feel compelled to prove I made a good choice buying at the price I did.  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 21:18 Pigeon

Mentioned it earlier, but I've found a story regarding the current line of EVGA cards and over heating problems:EVGA GTX 1070/1080 Overheating Issues Update. Sounds like they've got a solution even if it might not be optimal (i.e. faster fan speed = more noise). I believe the common consensus is that the cooler is just poorly designed. Though I'm sure it's fine in most cases and should be okay with the new vbios update and free optional thermal pads (should you request them). On the other hand if you get one and your card starts shooting flames out the back of your case don't say you weren't warned  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 17:55 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 17:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 15:59:
Jesus, thought I was having a good day until I saw someone won the entire US$421,000,000.00 Powerball jackpot. Talk about Christmas come early!
Ha! Yeah, must be nice. I buy Powerball and MegaMillions tickets even now and then, usually when the pot is high like this, but didn't know about this one until I saw the news about the win.

I understand the math reasons for not buying them, but my personal spin has always been that I'm as likely to win as anyone else, so why not throw away 5-10 bucks? Hell, that's less than the price of eating dinner out. If nothing else it's worth it for the daydreaming about what I'll do if I win.

That's pretty much what I do, 5-10 bucks every couple of weeks for the slimmest of chances I can be set for life. The last time I bought a ticket I found $10 in the parking lot. I was hoping my view of how the universe works was wrong and that luck was a contagious disease I'd caught that day. Unfortunately my paradigm held true, I didn't match a single damn number.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 14:00 Pigeon

Slick wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 12:53:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 10:43:
Been hoping the 1440p IPS gsync gaming monitors would get a sizeable discount, no such luck. I think my plans for upgrading that are going on the backburner, the $750+ is way more than I want to spend on a monitor. On the bright side sticking with my 1080p I can take pride in maxing out all the settings and still hitting my 60FPS cap.

I'd wait for the HDR monitors to come out, should be announced at CES in 5 weeks. If you've waited this long... I'm kinda sad that I upgraded to the 1440p-144hz-ips-gsync thing this year. It's amazing, but I've only recently seen HDR. Considering there's zero performance impact and it looks 10x better... I think it will be big, and soon.

Good to know. Unless there's a huge sale on them between now and Christmas I've pretty much relegated myself to waiting. At the very least the announcement might drive the price of current gen monitors down a bit.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2016, 11:21 Pigeon

Took my brain awhile to get there (even coffee isn't helping today) but it's Damian Wayne, not Damon Wayans as I first interpreted it . I was wondering why the hell he was involved with a Batman game, and who thought that would be a good idea.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 10:43 Pigeon

Been hoping the 1440p IPS gsync gaming monitors would get a sizeable discount, no such luck. I think my plans for upgrading that are going on the backburner, the $750+ is way more than I want to spend on a monitor. On the bright side sticking with my 1080p I can take pride in maxing out all the settings and still hitting my 60FPS cap.

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 10:39:
Yeah, I hope it's a thing. I'm returning my Gigabyte RX 480 as A) it's defective B) it's garbage. The thing runs at 80c under load! And Gigabyte support? Mon-Fri 9-5. Seriously? For a global multi-national company where people the world over will obviously need immediate support on their products and they're too cheap to provide it? Never bought Gigabyte before, never will again.

So after spending the weekend doing a hell of a lot more research I'm either looking at grabbing an MSI or Asus board instead, or switching gears and going with a 6G Nvidia 1060 - either EVGA, MSI, or ASUS.

I've had my MSI 1070 for ~month now and it runs great nice and cool with overclocks. It's quiet too, even when the fans are going I can't hear them over my case fans. I can't imagine a 1060 would be much different. If I remember correctly there was a story posted a week or so ago about EVGA cards overheating. Something about the cooler not working very well.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2016, 10:48.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 13:55 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 13:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2016, 12:38:
You always reward those that get you elected. Nothing to see here.

Get your news from reliable sources and learn how to spot bull shit.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/how-to-spot-fake-news/

students cannot tell fake news stories, npr

It is really hard to spot fake news when your own ideology and confirmation bias make you blind to any different standpoint though... hence why students failed so hard. Also I have to admit confirmation bias gets me every now and then despite best efforts. I don't always have time to source check all news... but I strife to never base my opinion on something not properly sourced. And fail more often than I'd like.

People just don't like being wrong, or even conceding that an argument they've put forth may not be 100% correct. I've seen some members on this forum put, assumedly, a lot of effort and time into creating well constructed arguments only to have whoever it was directed at regurgitate some dismissive variant of nuh-uh. It's difficult to have a meaningful and productive exchange when one or both sides are unwilling to budge on their stance. I suppose that's why fake news is so successful, it just confirms what people want to believe, while real news is rarely so straight forward.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 21:23 Pigeon

And now Ron Glass aka Shepard Book from firefly is dead. Damn 2016...  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 16:04 Pigeon

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 15:40:
And that guy was "barely" hit, bullshit, he still had a hair!

The pilot must have mistaken him for a US Navy ship.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 15:28 Pigeon

Picked up Witcher 3 goty ed. figured $30 was more than a worth while price. Seeing the file was over 40gigs I decided I'd go on a long bike ride figured it'd be done when I got back. Well it was mostly done, when I got back my network was down, I reset it then my computer started flipping out, 99% memory and disk usage even after a full shutdown/boot. Managed to get it into safe mode, where the problem did not occur, and some googling pointed to the network drivers as a possible cause. Disabled it in the start up, replaced the drivers and everything seems to be working now. I guess the game defaults to hard mode and the challenge starts before you even get it downloaded . That or Comcast was pissed I was using the bandwidth I paid for and decided to hose my network and computer.  

News Comments > Black Friday Safety Dance
28. Re: Black Friday Safety Dance Nov 26, 2016, 13:54 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 11:42:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 20:57:
The state of Pennsylvania admitted their proposed voter id law would disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of legitimate voters. Not surprisingly, a majority of those voters were minority voters.

This isn't meant to be snarky, so don't take it that way. The voted ID law would require you to provide a government-supplied (or sanctioned) ID before you could vote, right? So how could that disenfranchise so many legitimate voters?

Well the more road blocks you put in place the less likely people are to do something. Getting a valid ID is nothing more than a minor annoyance to most people, and probably something they already have. But these things tend to hit vulnerable populations hardest, elderly, poor, handicapped, etc., who may not have a valid and/or up-to-date ID and lack the resources to easily obtain one. So while going down to the DMV may be a minor annoyance to you it could be a major inconvenience to someone who doesn't have transportation, is disabled or whatever else.

1996 Comments. 100 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo