Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2570 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization May 24, 2018, 14:24 Pigeon

SpectralMeat wrote on May 24, 2018, 13:03:
jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2018, 12:33:
Simon Says wrote on May 24, 2018, 10:51:
If Apple made a car, you'd have to return it to Apple to get it repaired...

And an oil change would cost $300. Also, all the parts would be glued together, not bolted.
Wheels would be welded on. If you get a flat, apple would just tell you, you were driving it wrong.

Cars only work on Apple approved roads, and the road standard changes every year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2018, 13:13 Pigeon

I've returned a few items because the product was shit, probably working as intended, but still shit. Unfortunately they don't have a an option for that under reason returning.

I watched the 1st season of The Expanse and really liked it, so happy it's getting picked up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2018, 22:46 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on May 20, 2018, 18:34:
The ST movies vary from very good to very bad. I never got around to Discovery, I probably will eventually. I'd rank the remaining series from best to worst this way:

The Original Series
Deep Space Nine
Next Generation (first two seasons were pretty terrible)
Enterprise (downgraded in part for not lasting long enough)
The Animated Series
Voyager

While I really like the story arcs in DS9, they didn't do it nearly as well in Voyager.

Think I'll wait for Deadpool 2 to make it to the movie channels...

I like them all for different reasons. I'd probably rank TNG at the top of my list and Enterprise at the bottom. Enterprise had a lot of good episodes, but the over arching time travel plot... ugh. It's hard for me to rank ToS against the others, a lot of classic sci-fi plots and that 60's camp. It has my favorite scene of all the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wphWJoliUMQ I mean you just don't get that kind of writing anymore

News Comments > Get Galactic Civilizations II for Free
3. Re: Get Galactic Civilizations II for Free May 18, 2018, 08:54 Pigeon

I've experienced gaming time warps before, but none as bad as this game. I started a session fairly early in the morning, looked up and was surprised the sun wasn't completely up yet, looked at a clock and realized it was actually setting

My only gripe with the game is once you have a solid grasp on the mechanics the AI becomes very predictable, and increasing difficultly only provides bonuses to the AI.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 16, 2018, 20:21 Pigeon

Blockchain, it's the new THE CLOUD  

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 13:54 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2018, 13:37:
Hoop wrote on May 16, 2018, 11:51:
Everyone of those 28 killed by their cars gloated to friends about never needing to turn an ignition again.

It's trickier than that, according to the article. All of the cars involved in the deaths were hybrids. When you pull into the garage, there's no engine sound. Without that feedback mechanism, people forget to hit the button, and go inside the house. When the battery in the hybrid gets low, the engine kicks on, filling the garage and subsequently the house with CO.

I have a less fatal story with my push button car. I drove my wife home and went out to run errands. When I got back to the car from the store, I couldn't start it. Turns out that we'd started the car with her fob and she took it with her in the house. I had accidentally left my fob home. So I was stranded. She had to come out by taxi so we could get the car home. Not fun. As a result, I've had my fob surgically implanted in my thigh. It gets itchy from time to time, but it's a small price to pay for never being stranded.

I'd seen the headline before, but never read the article. It makes much more sense this is happening with hybrids. I like the key-less ignition cause it means I'm very unlikely to somehow get locked out of my car. On the other hand I don't have a significant other to trick me into thinking I have the keys and then run off with them

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 13:47 Pigeon

For clinical cases of depression and other mood disorders Iíd say sleep is an additive issue as opposed to a causal one. That said if youíve been in a bit of a funk and youíre having sleep problems, making a few behavioral changes that promote better sleep could help a lot.
On the subject of alien octopi, while Iím not a molecular biologist, I feel like thereís got to be a lot of evidence thatís being ignored to reach those conclusions. I was able to read the original article and there seems to be a lot of ĎThis hasnít been fully explained therefore ALIENSí. Granted theyíre talking about extraterrestrial retrovirus accelerating evolution, being responsible for HIV and the Spanish flu, and not some space eggs that octopi hatched from. But still comes off as highly speculative.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 08:17 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 16, 2018, 01:08:
jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2018, 19:23:
I tried to convince my wife to name our son Ukon***.
She wasn't having any of it.
So you settled on Expedition for your boy and Escalade for your daughter. The only thing weird/sad is that would make both their initials E.D. (assuming of course you last name is Dreyer) and the kids would tirelessly tease them with erectile dysfunction jokes.

***If you we going for automobile names, GMC Yukon

His last name is actually Cornelius. His son was to become the greatest bumble hunter this side of the Mississippi. Sadly his wife ended such dreams before they even had a chance.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2018, 13:57 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2018, 13:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 15, 2018, 13:12:
I'm guessing this is some sort of commentary on some part of popular culture which I have apparently totally missed out on (probably thankfully)....

The top 20 boys names of 2014 and/or 2015 included Aiden, Brayden, Jayden, & Caden.

Nothing like trying to give your kid a unique name by following the same naming scheme as several million other people. I'm sure there's a broader cultural commentary in there about trying to stand out by following the crowd.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 14, 2018, 23:31 Pigeon

Running for damn near 30 years is what killed the Simpsons. The show was consistently good throughout the 90s which is a pretty spectacular feat, but they stopped giving a damn well over a decade ago.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2018, 13:40 Pigeon

Sounds like the whole school has a raging case of affluenza, which is highlighted by the sorry not sorry response:

We recognize this decision has offended some and for that we apologize.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2018, 16:58 Pigeon

More spoilers:

I agree about Captain America, but I certainly found Vision's wimpiness much more annoying than Cap's variable strength. Honestly I thought they did a pretty good job of developing Thanos beyond the typical 'evil cause I'm evil' villain. There were a few scenes and flashes backs that made me suspect he cared for his daughter. Though often displayed in a twisted and cruel manner his favoritism of her was chief among those reasons, and his apparent pleasure at her being sad when she thought she killed him. Granted it's not some academy award winning material on the complexities of an abusive paternal relationship, but I don't expect it to be.

The only other thing that kinda bothered me in the film was Dinklage; I felt like I was watching Tyrion acting in a play about being a giant space dwarf.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2018, 18:39 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2018, 15:48:
N.J. superintendent arrested, pooped at high school track 'on a daily basis.'

I suppose a rash of mad poopers is preferable to a rash of mad shooters. Still, humans are weird.

What if they've got the shootin poops

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2018, 13:28 Pigeon

Alderaan----- LE1A -----Canceled

Too soon man too soon.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 14:02 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2018, 13:44:
jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2018, 13:32:
Meh, I always use two spaces. That's how I learned in typing class in 7th grade (from my 100 lb. blonde French teacher, nonetheless) and I'm sticking with it. It may get stripped out online, but it doesn't in Word documents, and it looks better IMO.

Also, get off my lawn.
#MeTwo spaces is what everyone learned in typing class. But i have reverted back to one.
Incidentally typing was the most useful thing I learned in public school.

Same we were always told two spaces. Maybe it's a generational thing, relegated to people learning to type in the 80s and 90s. I use one now because that's what any formal writing I do requires. I am curious now what older guidelines say, I still have my old grammar rules books from my freshman year of college. I'll have to see what that says.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 1, 2018, 08:49 Pigeon

What I want to know is why the prices keep breaking

Kind of makes you wonder what they're getting away with. I would assume they're getting away with enough shady dealings to make the risk of doing something they've been caught doing before worth the risk.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2018, 17:36 Pigeon

Hope you're able to get out and see it, a really enjoyable movie. I surpassed my expectations, but mostly cause I thought it was going to be a cluster fuck. They however handled the large cast very well and Thanos has turned out to be a great villain. My only complaint was SPOILERS: the scene with Thor and the massive peter. Not that I mind seeing some peter, but it seemed out of place and just came off as fan service. Not just that but that kind of thing has been put to better effect by other shows. Other than that it was a great, never got boring IMO and manged to make Thanos intriguing despite him having scrotum chin.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 21:14 Pigeon

Avengers was great, I was pretty happy with how they handled the large cast. Damn near three hours long, but I never felt like it was dragging.

Happy Birthday JD, had mine a few days ago. Go Taurus Headbang

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 16:26 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:50:
Pigeon wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 13:50:
Happy Aniversary Blue!! I myself may try catching the Avengers this afternoon. They're working on the power-lines around my place so the power is supposed to out for ~10 hours; great reason to go to a movie after work.

On another note I've been noticing some oddities with the UI appearance of image searches when using google on my home machine. Along with listing the source website under every picture (before you click on a picture), when you click on a picture it opens it in a semi-pop up overlay with a white background, as opposed to opening in a horizontal space created below the picture with a black background. Functionally it appears to operate the same, i.e. all the same options are there and clicking on the actual source of the image doesnít redirect to a website other than the identified source.

My first thought was of course that Iíd picked up some kind of malware, but scans from Avira and Malwarebytes returned nothing. Looking through hijackthis and running processes I didnít see anything suspicious (doesnít mean there isnít anything). My only other guess is thereís a customization setting somewhere that Iím not finding.

It persists when I restart Firefox in safe mode, but it does not occur in privacy mode. Iíve not tried booting the whole computer into safe mode. Any thoughts would appreciated, Iíll try to provide screen shots later when I have access to my home computer and the power is back.
Did it have anything to do with this https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/17017864/google-removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

When I click on an image it opens a darker background (pop-up?) the width of the page.

Yeah that's what it's supposed to look like. This was an overlay, like a popup but not actually a separate window. As opposed to making space between the images for the one you clicked on it was overlayed ontop of the searched images. At any rate I cleared all my history and cookies and it went back to normal. Simple solution, wish I'd tried that before a few other things , hopefully it doesn't come back.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2018, 13:50 Pigeon

Happy Aniversary Blue!! I myself may try catching the Avengers this afternoon. They're working on the power-lines around my place so the power is supposed to out for ~10 hours; great reason to go to a movie after work.

On another note I've been noticing some oddities with the UI appearance of image searches when using google on my home machine. Along with listing the source website under every picture (before you click on a picture), when you click on a picture it opens it in a semi-pop up overlay with a white background, as opposed to opening in a horizontal space created below the picture with a black background. Functionally it appears to operate the same, i.e. all the same options are there and clicking on the actual source of the image doesnít redirect to a website other than the identified source.

My first thought was of course that Iíd picked up some kind of malware, but scans from Avira and Malwarebytes returned nothing. Looking through hijackthis and running processes I didnít see anything suspicious (doesnít mean there isnít anything). My only other guess is thereís a customization setting somewhere that Iím not finding.

It persists when I restart Firefox in safe mode, but it does not occur in privacy mode. Iíve not tried booting the whole computer into safe mode. Any thoughts would appreciated, Iíll try to provide screen shots later when I have access to my home computer and the power is back.

2570 Comments. 129 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo