Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 1849 (Pro)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 29, 2016, 14:03 Pigeon

I've been having an issue with audio over HDMI for a few weeks now. Seems to have occurred during a driver update. Playback devices takes a long time to open, and then I can't switch the audio source to my TV. Usually it works after a reboot, but becomes an issue after the machine has been running for a bit. I've not spent a lot of time trying to trouble shoot, but it's annoying, and I'm grasping at the slim hope this driver will magically fix the issue.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 13:54 Pigeon

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:33:
The current Pascal lineup lacks the same foresight which put the Maxwell lineup in the barn as far as async compute is concerned which leads me to believe the Pascal is nothing more than a stop-gap filler series for what should have been Volta which was pushed back due to AMD having priority to HBM2 modules.

Brace yourselves, a mountain of used Pascals are coming.

Does async compute accomplish the same basic goal as g-sync or free-sync? If so I can understand why they'd be slow to support async; there is a sizable markup on monitors that support their proprietary tech.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 09:55 Pigeon

Die Flash DIE Flamethrower  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 17, 2016, 12:21 Pigeon

Thompson did not say one word in his keynote address about the significant security benefits of ad blockers, which is ironic, because his paper was one of several news organizations that served its users ransomware—a particularly vicious form of malware that encrypts the contents of your computer and forces you to pay the perpetrators a ransom in bitcoin to unlock it—through its ad networks just a few months ago.

In his defense it would take a lot of time and money collaborating with their ad networks to deliver safe and effective advertisements on their site. It's far easier and cheaper to blame the consumer, and if the ones that don't ads get hit by nasty malware, oh well, no skin off their back.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 7, 2016, 13:20 Pigeon

Cameras could potentially be awesome, specially if implemented correctly. The only thing I'd worry about is if they don't render head-checks unnecessary people will be overly reliant on them. I already see this issue with back-up cameras, which are great, but they don't show people everything they need to see when backing up. Many seemingly only look at that when backing up.  

News Comments > Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition Plans
4. Re: Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition Plans Jul 6, 2016, 11:50 Pigeon

Huzzah!!! This is pretty much what I've been waiting to hear. Now I just need to pick up a beefier GPU and maybe a better monitor so I can enjoy it in all its glory.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2016, 14:05 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:36:
The 1902 invention of air conditioning has long been hailed as one of the most important inventions of the 20th century, one that has forever changed the way we live.

Yeah, I dunno about that. AC is nice but hardly necessary - for me at any rate. I'd argue that the really important inventions are the refrigerator and toilet paper. I could live without most modern trappings but not having a fridge and TP would really suck.

Depends on the climate... a lot of the world would be/and is an absolute humid hell without air conditioning. Definitely one of the most important inventions, not the most important invention of the 20th century.

Hooray, not so minor improvements in the quality of life!

I can't imagine living where I do without AC. The feels like is 109F, and the lows at night are generally like 79F with 80% humidity. This is a consistent pattern that can last from early May to late October. The only thing that can break that in the thick of summer is a hurricane, which you better hope your power is back after 2 days, cause then it really gets hot. Think of it like this Cutter, if it weren't for AC all of us southerners would be up where you are, getting in your personal space.

Also I agree with the Fridge and TP. Granted there are more hygienic options, but TP is cheap and much more hygienic then what a lot of the world uses... their hand.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2016, 14:19 Pigeon

A short story from Tales of: There's nothing actually wrong with your computer so don't fuck with it:

My CPU temps seemed a little high, and I wasn't really satisfied with how my last application of thermal paste went, so I decided to give it another try. Opened my case, pulled out the heat sink and cpu, cleaned the old paste off, and went to reapply the paste I had bought about a month ago and... something with the consistency of silly putty came out. So off to Fry's which had a disappointingly small selection; grabbed the antec formula 7 OMG DIAMONDS, applied it, and now I'm up and running again. I will say it was easier to apply, I suspect the previous stuff was too dry even when it was 'new'. Maybe shaved 2 or 3 degrees off temps, but too early to tell. I'm also not exactly testing with laboratory methods here. Probably would have been better off just leaving it be, live and learn I guess.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 11:31 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:05:
The biker video seems surreal. Ok you have the merge issue, like that shit happens a lot even with cars and to be honest he swears way to much at a stranger, that right there is going to raise the I don't give a shit stakes for the recipient of such abuse.

But the part that doesn't seem real, he waves and goes over to a police officer and in just a matter of a few seconds, the cop buys in and is able to quickly stop the driver. Where I came from that would be minutes to explain and almost assuredly they wouldn't have done anything but say "we'll keep an eye out".

This guys says "I got on video a lady trying to run me over at the merge, I got in on video"... Cop "Ok follow me". I don't think I've seen a cop be so attentive but also just so gullible to a citizens request, unless this is a biker sting going on with the cops.

Nothing gullible about it, the cop is following up on a complaint like he's supposed to. Not the worst merge I've ever seen or experienced, but it was clear who had the right of way. Maybe the lady wasn't initially paying attention, but she sure as didn't give a shit when it became obvious.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2016, 10:46 Pigeon

Microsoft has clearly learned that its ambition to have one billion machines running Windows 10 isn't worth losing the trust of its customers over.

Have they though? I would propose that they have not learned that lesson. Them backing off slightly on the aggressiveness of the campaign is probably because the lawyers convinced the executives they could be libel for the damages a forced upgrade can cause. I'm honestly surprised there have not been more suits, or maybe there are and MS is asking people to be quite as part of a settlement.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 27, 2016, 08:28 Pigeon

Numinar wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 19:15:
Bought Wolfenstein after enjoying Doom immensely.

Lame port though, I can run Doom up in the 80-90 FPS zone at 1400p with freesync preventing tearing, but Wolf runs super fast with tearing or super janky with vsynch on. Haven't refunded as I really want to dig my teeth into the awesome setting but I'm super pissed off.

Anyone with a 390x or similar work these issues out? Doom was a dog at launch for this card as well but a driver update a little while afterwards made it perfect.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the tearing and vsync issues. Vsync worked for me, but I'm only running at 1080 60Hz; I've seen some things that suggest high refresh rate monitors may run into more problems with vsync. It's a fun game so you may want to poke around various forums and see how people have or haven't fixed the issue, but if you can't get rid of the issue I certainly can't fault you for refunding it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2016, 19:01 Pigeon

Only thing I've bought so far is bioshock 2, I've played the 1st and 3rd installments so figured for $4 might as well play the 2nd.

On another note, actually just finished Wolfenstien: New Order that I bought in last year's summer sale. Stopped playing it back then because something frustrated me, something about the collectable, no idea why cause when I started playing again I had a blast.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 Pigeon

This is no surprise at all. Actually I'm pretty impressed only 5 shops charged for parts not needed, Austrians must be more honest than the typical repair place in the US. In my experience the problems most people have is because they've done something to fuck up the OS, new hardware was almost never needed. Well the OS and coffee were the top problems. When I was a tech repair monkey it was amazing how many older machines/monitors would just stop working, and upon opening the machine, surprise, things were covered in coffee. Nobody ever remembered coffee being spilled and it never seemed to happen to the new looking machines; a damn mystery it was .  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2016, 13:13 Pigeon

...found posts suggesting that Gegury has received death threats over her abilities, and that some pro players quit the game after their accusations against her were proven false.

Death threats and rage quitting, that's how you know you're rockin it.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2016, 08:36 Pigeon

Tom wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 23:02:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 21:38:
If they're going to claim video games and other media cause violence, can I claim day time talk shows cause stupidity? At least video games don't try to pass fictitious entertainment off as reality.
Yes, you can claim whatever you want to claim, just like them. But the difference is, they got you to watch their stupid claims. You bowed to their will. They achieved exactly what they set out to achieve. You would do well to remember that.

I bowed to their will? That's a bit of a dramatic thing to say. I'm not sure what they gained from me watching a 5 and 1/2 minute ad-less clip. I would suggest there is value in knowing what others think, even if it is ignorant and insipid.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 20, 2016, 21:38 Pigeon

Wow that was hard to watch. One moronic claim after another, and what the hell was the lady in blue going on about. Sounded like she was making up a story based on her flawed knowledge of Asperger's and trying to pass it off as something that actually happens.

If they're going to claim video games and other media cause violence, can I claim day time talk shows cause stupidity? At least video games don't try to pass fictitious entertainment off as reality.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 20, 2016, 19:22 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 17:10:
Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:50:
Jesus, just scroll down on that KTLA website. Every page you go to links to a dozen more stories of rape and mass-murder. Wtf is going on down there?

More people died from "civilian" shootings in the US than US soldiers died in Vietnam and WW1 combined. That is what is going on there. Remember those were wars. The US suffers from a perpetual civil war, no wonder everyone wants a gun there.

Historical social and economic repression of specific groups of people, a criminal justice system based on revenge rather than reformation, a war on drugs that most frequently punishes the users, while making the sale extremely lucrative and a political system where ideology and ignorance will trump fact and reason 9 times out of 10. There's undoubtedly more, but those are a few of the big reasons.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 18:22 Pigeon

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 17:02:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 16:12:
I bought a Nissan Altima in 2008 with a manual, it was tough to get. I think that might have been the last year they were available. I don't think there's a car now that costs less than $60k I'd care to own which comes with a manual.

I've been pricing lately (Honda, Hundai, etc), and everything I've seen here in the US is 1K more for automatic...

A lot of manufacturers still offer manual options, but it is often in the lower tier trims, and dealerships normally don't carry many. So it can be hard to find what you want with the options you want. Honda and Mazda have mid level trims available in M/T, not sure about American cars though. I prefer auto, but I understand the allure of an M/T specially if you don't live in a city.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2016, 12:55 Pigeon

I wasn't aware intimate knowledge of quantum superposition was considered rudimentary.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 18, 2016, 12:16 Pigeon

I don't even know how they're able to claim the song, Guthrie was pretty well known to issue anti-copyright statements:
This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don’t give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that’s all we wanted to do.

Then again copyright law in the US seems like it is less about protecting an artist's creative rights and more about giving greedy assholes another way to squeeze money out of people.

1849 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo