Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2875 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2019, 16:16 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 15:33:
'Worry is contagious': the vaccine-hesitant parents putting children at risk.

DreyerSon got his HPV and Tetanus vaccines this week.
My wife: "Does he really need HPV? I heard people can die from it."
Me: "CDC website does not show death as a side-effect. On the other hand, there are 10,000 new cases of HPV-induced cervical cancer per year, of which 4000 people die."
Her: "Oh, okay."

Im glad the HPV vaccine is being recommended for boys as well. It's had a lot of opposition from not just the antivaxer nitwits, but also the 'sex is evil' crowd.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo 4 Speculation
10. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 24, 2019, 20:51 Pigeon

Now with crypto coin loot box auction house.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 24, 2019, 14:33 Pigeon

Just goes to show you can get 20k people online to sign a petition for just about any moronic thing. Hell the 'remake season 8' petition for Game of Thrones is over a million. By that standard 20k is pretty pathetic.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2019, 14:10 Pigeon

I've had Comcast for several years, my only real option. Their service has been good, getting the speeds I pay for and then some, very few outages. Their customer service on the other hand ranges from mediocre to sucking a pile of flaming dicks.

The worst incident I had occurred on the Friday of a holiday weekend. The internet went down in the afternoon, but I noticed one of their trucks was there. They're doing work no big deal, I had things to do till late evening anyways. Come evening internet is still down. I call support and impress upon them this only occurred after a Comcast technician had been out. They quote 7 days till they could send someone out. I argued further that the issue should be elevated as it was likely caused by one of their technicians. They stuck to the script 7 days. 7 days rolls around and a technician shows up and gets things working again. He checks with me to make sure my internet is working again and before he leaves I ask what happened. He tells me all the lines to the section of apartments I was in were physically severed. Given that the outage started in the short period of time a technician was out the previous Friday, I would say there is a high degree of certainty they were caused by that other technician. Through malice or incompetence I can't say.

The real kicker is when I called to make sure I wasn't going to be billed for the lost time, and telling them what caused the problem, they were very apologetic and in addition to making sure I wasn't being billed for the lost time they were going to give me a free internet and TV (which I do not have) upgrade for a month. Being the suspicious individual I am, I asked what happened to this free upgrade after the month, to which I was eventually able to get out of them that I would be charged a new, increased, rate for the services. I declined the 'generous' offer.

So the actual service is fine, but they treat you like a wallet with legs they begrudgingly need consent(or not) to remove money from.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 5, 2019, 11:54 Pigeon

Witcher 3 already looks so nice. Blood and Wine already gives me fantasy of moving to southern France and just chilling in the country side.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2019, 22:25 Pigeon

Jivaro wrote on Jun 1, 2019, 18:31:
My oldest step-daughter has a 25 pound, part Maine Coon, part house cat. When he wants part of dinner he sits on one of the dining room chairs like a human and waits until someone gets the hint.

Bacon and chicken are his favorites. If you go out for breakfast and eat bacon and then come home without some for him he gets all bent out of shape with you. I mean this cat takes his meat seriously. Wings and drumsticks, not a white meat sort of cat. We typically remove the bones but I have seen him lick the meat off of bones before. Are chicken bones really that bad for pets or is it one of those things that differs from animal to animal, pet to pet?

With smaller bones it's a choking hazard. With larger bones, if they can crack them, splinters from the bones could cause havoc in their digestive systems.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2019, 15:51 Pigeon

Not too surprising about cereal; the kids stuff is just fortified candy. Even the adult oriented cereals still have quite a lot of sugar, they just tend to have more fiber.  

6. Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Pitch Meeting. May 24, 2019, 13:18 Pigeon

Yep, seems about right to me.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 08:46 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on May 20, 2019, 05:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2019, 23:29:
I... actually kinda liked the ending.

Yeah, it was pretty good overall

Edit: But the way they got there... well, that's another matter entirely.

Given the way things went this season it was wrapped up about as good as it could have been. My expectations were also significantly lowered so that helped. But damn...[SPOILERS] why did it have to be Bran the Boring. The best thing about the end of the show is I won't have to hear him say, 'you were exactly where you needed to be' anymore.

13. Re: Morning Patches May 19, 2019, 20:01 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2019, 17:42:
TheBigVlad wrote on May 19, 2019, 16:32:
Pigeon wrote on May 19, 2019, 15:08:
Unfortunate the writing quality took such a nose dive in the last season. Setting aside the obvious, it looks like shit and smells like shit, the biggest indication are the number of people trying to fill in the blanks by offering their own take on character actions. Hopefully the last weeks episode was the worst, but I fear in their increasing haste to wrap everything up the worst has yet to come.

I thought last week's episode was the best of the season, and one of the best in quite a while. I was utterly confused at all the negativity I was seeing. There were a few issues but I thought the characters actions made sense for the most part.

I do hope the spin-offs they are working on leave out most of the magic/dragon stuff and focus on the characters. That was always the best part of early GoT - the politics, intrigue, and backstabbing involving interesting characters.
I did not think last weeks episode was the worst thing ever. With nothing to go on except script writers making the story up as they go, these last 2 season have been ho hum. I'll watch this last episode just because.

I'm more excited about Catch 22 and the final 3 episodes of Chernobyl, and I already know the outcome of both of those.

On the chance there are those who for some reason haven't watched it SPOILERS:

7 Seasons of Danny the merciful essentially destroyed by two episodes of Mad Queen Danny because the plot demands it. 7 seasons of Varys subtlety picking his way through the dangerous political world of Westeros to him all but announcing in front of Danny while pointing at her "We need to kill this bitch". Tyrion has been a cynical, and mostly right,now hopeful and wrong about everything. 7 Seasons of Jon running around clueless and... okay somethings haven't changed. I'm honestly not upset about what happened as to how suddenly it got there.

Not to say there weren't some good moments. Tyrion and Jamie's goodbye was great, same goes with Arya and the Hound.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 15:08 Pigeon

Unfortunate the writing quality took such a nose dive in the last season. Setting aside the obvious, it looks like shit and smells like shit, the biggest indication are the number of people trying to fill in the blanks by offering their own take on character actions. Hopefully the last weeks episode was the worst, but I fear in their increasing haste to wrap everything up the worst has yet to come.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2019, 13:40 Pigeon

Kain wrote on May 13, 2019, 11:42:
subx wrote on May 13, 2019, 10:53:
The Thrones writers have really changed gear in this latest episode, from being lazy to actually insulting.

What with this and Endgame, it’s turned into a really crappy year for epic story conclusions. I fully expect Deadwood to be a buddy cop comedy subtitled “Cock Sucker and the Lawman.”

There was definitely no way to satisfy everyone but they seem to have settled on satisfying no one instead. Years of character development tossed aside to swing plotlines, characters going against established personality and so on. It's really disappointing but I guess no surprise, they ran out of book material to crib from and are doing their best to fill in the blanks. Shame that they didn't seem to learn anything from the source material but to be fair its a huge challenge taking on anothers work.

I guess Martin is as much to blame for dithering about football and pizza on his blog, attending countless cons and generally having a very poor work ethic. People long ago predicted this was going to happen and its a shame to see that bear out.

Pretty much, all the development undone by one or two scenes this season and I feel like this happened with most of the characters. It's not a matter of just not liking what happens, it's about how they got there. I never figured the ending would be a happy one, bitter sweet at the least and down right tragic the more likely, but I expected things to play out in a manner that was consistent. Right now I feel charcacters are just doing things because the plot demands it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2019, 18:23 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2019, 17:37:
Pigeon wrote on May 12, 2019, 14:46:
<- Struggles to get over 25mph on his bike. Granted she's being pulled by a dragster most of the way, but still impressive. I'd hate to see what crashing on your bike at 184mph would look like.
It would look like this only 913% more severe.

So just a red line in the desert sand?

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2019, 14:46 Pigeon

<- Struggles to get over 25mph on his bike. Granted she's being pulled by a dragster most of the way, but still impressive. I'd hate to see what crashing on your bike at 184mph would look like.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2019, 00:53 Pigeon

WTF is with all those fighters taunting by letting their opponents pound on their face? It's like they're excited to get CTE.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2019, 13:23 Pigeon

Doorbell snake misidentified the man as a home security salesman.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 7, 2019, 13:36 Pigeon

So when is the Netflix going to make a Gearbox docudrama? Popcorn

This comment was edited on May 7, 2019, 15:20.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 5, 2019, 14:17 Pigeon

Yeah, put that in your ear. Seems like a great idea.  

19. Re: Bike lanes need physical protection from car traffic, study shows. May 4, 2019, 17:10 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 4, 2019, 16:17:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 4, 2019, 13:58:
Or, you know, you could stop trying to force fucking pointless bike lanes on to roads that were already barely wide enough to allow two vehicles on in the first place.
Or, you could create bike lanes that were entirely and physically separate from the roadway.
But, no, clearly it's all the fault of motorists and not boneheaded "planners".
My main mode of transportation is by bicycle. Just one of the many benefits of living in a small town.
My issue with "roadies" is they have just as much right to be on the road as everyone else BUT THEY THINK that they can cycle down the road holding up traffic.
I make a concerted effort to ride on side roads, residential, sidewalks and down alleyways when possible. Anytime you mix different speed vehicles on the same piece of pavement you're asking for trouble. fuck the road, it's not safe

I stay off roads as much as I can. Maybe it's just because I live in a major city, but there are way too many bad drivers. I feel if I rode on non-neighborhood streets it would only be a matter of time before someone hit me. I've already had a few near incidents. One such incident I was using an active crosswalk and someone decided as I was right in-front of them to creep forward. I swerved quickly enough to avoid getting hit, and since they had the top down on their convertible he heard me yell at him. He was of course looking down at his phone.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2019, 21:30 Pigeon

Simon Says wrote on May 3, 2019, 12:31:
Pigeon wrote on May 3, 2019, 11:56:
James Cameron was thinking, 'I want to make a butt load of money with a mediocre script... what gimmick can I use?'

Nonsense, Avatar is a great sci-fi movie. As great as Star Trek TNG and Babylon 5 are to sci-fi TV series.

Would it had sold as well without 3d? Maybe yes, maybe not, we'll never know, but it certainly wouldn't had flopped.

The story and dialogue were 80s kid flick quality. There were some neat sci-fi concepts (unobtainium not being one of them) that were explored but never went further than the shallow end. The visuals were of course gorgeous. I disagree with it being equal to TNG and Bab 5, the characters were generally more complex, and none of the villains ever came off like some variation of Snidely Whiplash. Even the Borg being nigh unstoppable cyborgs of destruction were understood to just be acting according to their nature. Avatar just didn't do it for me despite having a lot of things in place that hit my geek centers.

2875 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo