Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Pigeon

Real Name Pigeon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Pigeon
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 17:35
Total Comments 2926 (Senior)
User ID 18068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Escapists Free on Epic Games Store; 12 Freebies Coming Next Week

4. Re: The Escapists Free on Epic Games Store; 12 Freebies Coming Next Week Dec 13, 2019, 13:18 Pigeon

Got Outerworlds and Borderlands 3 free for buying a CPU so guess I'll be installing their ap... and getting more free games. Well played Epic.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 12, 2019, 15:12 Pigeon

Picked Disney+ up to watch a few things and will probably drop it once I've seen what I want. This is basically how I treat HBO NOW. Unfortunately everything I want to watch came out all at once

Netflix stays around cause I can usually find something to watch.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2019, 15:25 Pigeon

PSA since several were interested in the Gigabyte Elite. I had a lot of trouble getting my memory working at the correct speed; it was on the QVL. After many many hours over several days of messing with dram calculators and bios settings I moved the sticks from A1/B1 to A2/B2, enabled XMP and it saw everything just fine.

This seems to be a relatively common issue for the board, and may be encountered trying to run anything over 3200Mhz (I was trying to run 3600). I seem to remember reading somewhere that RAM with Samsung B die is more likely to be trouble free with this board.

Not saying don't get the board, but also maybe look into some other boards if y'all are still interested. For my part I had thought XMP had progressed to a point that if it was on your board's QVL you had little to worry about and that 3600 wasn't much of an OC from a board that could run natively at 3200.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2019, 13:47 Pigeon

Other than a few token deals, actual Black Friday/Cyber Monday really isn't a thing for online shopping. It's more accurately Black Friday week, as most sales seem to occur the previous weekend or Monday and persist till "Cyber Monday". Nobody wants to chance their competitors having a "good enough" sale to wait till those specific dates.

As far as I'm concerned cyber monday is pretty much defunct. It was a thing because people would wait till Monday when they could order things over their work's speedy/reliable internet. Now home connections are a lot faster and more reliable than they were 2 decade ago, so no reason to wait.

News Comments > Play Overwatch for Free

7. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 22:07 Pigeon

VoodooV wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 20:44:
I had my fun with Overwatch last year with some friends. was fun while it lasted, but the repetitiveness got me in in the end.

There is only so many times you can die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/
die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/die/respawn/
die/respawn

...before it gets old

I loved this game till I didn't. I had a lot of fun with the ranked play, some amazing games with great teams... then there was the other 70% of the time. I morn the death of the hosted servers, it'd take a little searching but usually you could find a server with good, skilled player to low ass-hat ratio.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2019, 16:49 Pigeon

Thanks to those who gave advice yesterday. Went to Micro Center this morning and picked up a 3700x and Aorus Elite wifi board for $450. $30 bundling discount helped bring everything in line Newegg's price without rebates and the addition of onboard wifi.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2019, 19:10 Pigeon

Creston wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 15:47:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 15:28:
Still debating 3700x vs. i7 9700k. So far my take away is that the Intel build is ~$30

But you're also giving money to Intel, who are a bunch of miserable piles of shit. And your i7 will run roughly 30 degrees hotter than the Ryzen will.

Intel are PoS, always a valid point. The AMD boards are a little more future proofed (PCIe4 and better support for future CPUs).

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 15:49:
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard

$150 with mail in rebate

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145160

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf

That's a great price. I have a Micro Center nearby, I think I can get the x3700 and wifi version of the MB bundled for $450. Also an m.2 1tb evo+ for ~$170.

Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2019, 16:43:

I've done a lot of research - reading reviews and asking around - and I'll be going with the MSI Gaming Edge WiFi. Whilst all the 570 boards are pretty much neck and neck the MSI seems to come up as the winner most often. The Aorus would be my second choice.

I'm going with the 3700X - which, up here, is $105 cheaper than the I7 9700K, which is why I never buy Intel here. The other thing is the Intel I7 draws 95w whereas the 3700X draws 65w. So cheaper to run over its lifetime and better for the environment too.

Edit: The MSI mobo is $199US on US Amazon - but I'm sure we'll see a drop this weekend on stuff for BF/CM.

Intel really applies that Canada tax don't they. The 3700x and i7-9700k are the same price for me, but less power draw, and more future proofing are why I'm leaning AMD. Also after I did some more reading it seems the slight FPS advantage of Intel all but disappears once you go over 1080p resolution.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2019, 15:28 Pigeon

Any recommendations on X570 or z390 boards? I've heard good things about the gigabyte Aorus line. I plan on doing some mild overclocking, so boards that are friendly to this are a plus. Looking at sub $200.

Still debating 3700x vs. i7 9700k. So far my take away is that the Intel build is ~$30 more for slightly better gaming performance.

This is part of a refresh I've been putting off for ~1 1/2 years. Current CPU is an i5 4690k, does pretty good, but can struggle with physics. I'll be keeping my case, GPU(1070), and PSU.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 11:55 Pigeon

As mentioned before, mobile experience is 300% better by measure of the PAMS(Pigeon's Arbitrary Measurement Scale). The side bars seemed excessively large on my 1440p monitor, though currently looking good on my laptop (1080). Nice work guys.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 11:54 Pigeon

Was waiting to get my oil changed and checked the site on my phone. Great improvement with the mobile experience.  

News Comments > Into the Black

2. Re: Into the Black Nov 4, 2019, 22:47 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 20:02:
Decent info, but i think they want to sell me something.

You're too cynical, sometimes people just want to spread good information. Had I not read a similar article I would never have completely cured my posture issues with Snake-Eye Gamer Xtrme Spinal Realignment Oil+.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2019, 13:50 Pigeon

We thought unmitigated greed would keep those planes in the air. Our engineers now tell us it's not a structurally, electrically or educationally reliable material. Our thoughts and prays are with those brave volunteers who made this discovery possible, and we promise to use less of this hazardous material so long as we think we're being watched.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2019, 13:19 Pigeon

Sorry for your and Mrs. Blue's loss. It sounds like you have a lot of good memories of him though, which I've found help with the sting.  

News Comments > Into the Black

3. Re: Into the Black Oct 23, 2019, 23:01 Pigeon

LPL has become my favorite channel about something I had no interest in.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 11:38 Pigeon

Hope that trooper had a fresh pair of undies in his car, cause damn!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 15, 2019, 08:58 Pigeon

VoodooV wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 15:34:
I didn't think Vista or 8 were too bad, ME bluescreened on me during first boot of a clean system so it can eat a bag of dicks.

It's getting to a point though where I feel like we have to qualify this a little bit better. For Vista and 8, I thought they were fine, it was just the interface that sucked. Same for 10 quite honestly. When you get past the UI bullshit, it does what I need it to do.

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 11:34:
Windows Vista, 8 and ME were good.
hard to say with a straight face

Vista and 8 were fine after some patches and in the case of 8 a start menu fix. Windows 10 was fine until patches

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 14, 2019, 21:21 Pigeon

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 20:17:
People thought Panera was making mac and cheese from scratch?

The only thing I thought was off was using two plastic pouches to fill one bowl. Great way to keep the food relatively fresh with quick prep, but another middle finger to the environment.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 13:21 Pigeon

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 11:24:
He claims Tesla disabled a speed limiter he had installed. The limiter itself was apparently 85mph which is not exactly "survivable" when you hit a concrete wall either but obviously hes a grieving parent and not being rational. Perhaps do not let your son drive the car after he's been caught driving excessively fast. What an odd society we live in today.

Seems a pretty clear cut case of gross negligence on the part of the driver. But with the way the father is acting I assume the "kid", aka legal adult, had a hefty does of believing consequences are something other people are responsible for.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 13:17 Pigeon

So if I start heavily drinking now, by the time the hepatitis starts to set in I can have a new liver made. Sweet! Now where's that bottle of southern comfort.

Thanks to Frans and KXmode for their hard work dragging this site into modern times. Though to be honest I like this site's simplistic design, I feel modern sites could stand to take a more minimalist approach. Still something more touch/mobile friendly would be welcome. Just don't implement that feature where the screen shifts just as you're about to select a link and you end up clicking an ad instead.

2926 Comments. 147 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >