Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for SMC

Real Name SMC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ventura
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2003, 09:17
Total Comments 704 (Apprentice)
User ID 18065

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior 2 Programmer Ill

14. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 08:45 Ventura

those who started a business, engaged a risk on an investment, capitalized on a resource or provided a service

What about those that took the same sort of risk but it didn't pay off? People can work hard their entire lives, but through factors that are often completely out of their control and through no fault of their own, it all goes wrong. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

It's easy to look down at everyone else when things are going well for you, because your hard work has paid off, but what about those that aren't so fortunate like this programmer? Did he sit on his arse all day?

I'd rather be part of a society that looks after everyone, than a society that only looks after those with the fattest wallets. Yeah, we take a hit with some people who just refuse to contribute, sure, but you can't say for certain in your life that you'll never have to be the one asking for help...

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 08:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 06:34 Ventura

So, explain me again why more successfull, harder-working people should pay more taxes, but get the same crappy, broken government-screwed healthcare as the laziest of slackers still living in their parents' basement

What kind of dreamworld are you in if you believe that having more money means you work harder?

Either way, the only time it shouldn't matter is when it's about life or death. Far be it from you to give a damn about anyone else though, right? Everyone for themselves and all that.

10. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 04:11 Ventura

You can't have a health system where everyone can get the best of treatment unless there's a way to pay for it

Of course, you could just spend a few less billion dollars per year on your armed forces. Dare I say.

Oh, and just because "there isn't a health service in the world where anyone can get a liver transplant on demand for free", that doesn't make it right.

If I had my way, the size your bank account wouldn't make a f*cking difference. All the "not putting a value on human life" crap you get in movies, sigh. Pity we don't practice that sort of behaviour in the real world...

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 This Fall

57. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 03:50 Ventura

Gaming in general has evolved to the point where it's expected that people have broadband. I think the console version of BF2 is something you'd want to play if you REALLY want a single player version, otherwise, I don't think BF2 should be made into something it's not, and that's trying to force a halfassed AI

Damned if I know what my internet connection has to do with it. I have broadband, but so what? I spent enough time playing with people in Quake 1 many years ago to know I'd take the personality of a bot any day of the week now.

Or to be more verbose it's an argument only idiots make...

Is that right? What if Morrowind had multiplayer, but they took it out for Oblivion? You'd feel a bit f*cking different about it then, wouldn't you?
This comment was edited on Mar 21, 03:56.

52. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 01:43 Ventura

Earth to Shoop, come in Shoop. World of Warcraft is an MMORPG. Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam had very polished single player modes making them great fun not only when you're on your own but also at lans.

Not that you have to tell me that BF2 is a multiplayer online game though. I'm well aware that they shafted us single player gamers to please you.

50. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2006, 01:12 Ventura

And people wonder why I prefer bots to online with humans.

I'm with you, but it's not looking good for gamers like us.

At the rate they're going, in 2142 bot play will be limited to tiny 4-player maps without mechs.

Of course, that's assuming they won't have just ditched the AI altogether.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 01:12.

News Comments > Battle for Middle-earth II Patch Plans

4. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2006, 09:16 Ventura

Do you think they'll ever get it right?

In BFME1 walls were strong, walkable, but static. So that pissed everyone off.

In BFME2 walls are weak and non-walkable, so even though you can build them anywhere, nobody cares.

At the end of the day, they used the LOTR license to build a game that doesn't feel like LOTR atall.

News Comments > Battle for Middle-earth II Patches

13. Re: Hehe Feb 24, 2006, 07:30 Ventura

OR they saw some things that could be improved to make people's first play experience better, and decided to act on them during the time from Gold -> Release. Now, if they proceed to release a patch to solve problems caused by a patch that was supposed to solve problems (ala BF2), there's a bad sign

I know what I'd put my money on...

News Comments > Battle for Middle-earth II Patches

9. Re: Hehe Feb 23, 2006, 19:29 Ventura

All it really shows to me is that they sent the game on it's way with issues that they knew they could just patch later. Does this sort of business behaviour not inspire a lot of confidence in everyone else, or is it just me?

Either way, so long as they continue to practice this sort of behaviour, EA are doomed.

News Comments > BF2 Patch Plans

16. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2006, 17:40 Ventura

Over here in Australia, they've had it for as long as I can remember. Provided you get the game back to them within 7 days, you only have to say you weren't satisfied with it.

If it wasn't for that policy though, I don't think I'd ever shop there...

News Comments > BF2 Patch Plans

13. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2006, 06:04 Ventura

I thank god Electronics Boutique have a no fuss return policy every time Battlefield 2 makes the news.

Bought 1942 the day it was released. Bought Vietnam the day it was released. Bought Battlefield 2 the day it was released.

Returned Battlefield 2 the day after the day it was released

News Comments > Supreme Commander & S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Delays

28. Re: ... Feb 4, 2006, 12:43 Ventura

Entirely different genre of game?? You haven't noticed the majority of RTS's these days merging in certain RPG elements then Zadillo? Hero units, leveling up, unique abilities, that sort of thing? Hell, TA itself had units with levels based on how many kills they got. Sorta sounds a bit like experience to me.

All I'm saying is that Chris Taylor went from innovation to imitation. TA was 5 years ahead of its time, and DS was 5 years late. The guy who made one of the best games the world has ever seen then went on to create two absolute stinkers.

But hey, if that doesn't phase you, and if you're still pumped about SC, more power to you. I've just been played too many times by the developers in this industry to keep falling for it...

24. Re: ... Feb 4, 2006, 12:02 Ventura

Enjoyed Dungeon Siege then, did you? Didn't think so.

You're setting yourself up for a big letdown, but hey, far be it from me to burst the bubble.

22. Re: ... Feb 4, 2006, 11:50 Ventura

Total Annihilation was great, yeah, and I could understand getting all excited about SC if it's what Chris Taylor went on to do straight after TA.

But no, it's not, and I just can't stop thinking about Dungeon Siege. He was the man, right up until he released that pile of garbage. And then the sequel. Just shoot me.

If SC is "the only PC gaming title you were excited about this year", you're going to have a crap year, because if Chris was any more a has-been, he'd be John Romero's brother

News Comments > Return of The Romero

46. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 19:21 Ventura

Ok, so Romero sucks on his own, and Carmack sucks on his own.

Can someone tell me who was REALLY responsible for Doom1, Doom2, and Quake1? I've been wondering for years now

News Comments > On BF2 Sales

65. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2005, 04:50 Ventura

Actually the reason why you can only play the 16-player maps in single player is because EA couldn't be bothered doing the bot pathmapping so they'd work with the larger maps.

Basically single player support got left till last, and was then scrapped, presumably because they ran outta time and had to ship the game by a certain date.

AFAIK only the 16-player version of the Operation Clean Sweep map has both jets and helis in it, but for what its worth, the AI can fly them pretty well.

Oh, and my BF2 went back half a week after I bought it. Bless EB and their 7-day satisfaction policy. That game was an even bigger letdown for me than Dungeon Siege, and that is so saying something

News Comments > Romero Departs Midway

72. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 05:27 Ventura

I don't get it.

At that website all I can see is a few pictures of this attractive girl posing with her scruffy-looking father, who could use a good haircut and a shave. Where's John?

Seriously, while ID obviously hasn't been the same since he left, he didn't exactly go off to do great things.

I probably spent more time playing Quake 1 than any other game in my life, and I just don't know who to thank for it being the killer game that it was, because I don't think Carmack would know a good game if one sat on him...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 2

8. Lost a lot of my enthusiasm :( Jun 21, 2005, 10:15 Ventura

I'd be more excited if they hadn't butchered COOP and single player support as much as they did... sigh.

News Comments > EA AFL Game

7. Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 03:41 Ventura

Agree with #3.

Pity it ain't the real AFL, as in, Aussie Rules football.

There is only one AFL, and it exists down under

News Comments > Call of Duty Demo Today - No Exclusive

205. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 20:15 Ventura

"If they won't pay $5 or $10 bucks a month for a FP sub what makes anyone think they're interested in paying $50 for the title?"

This is funny. So now everyone who doesn't have a FP subscription is too tight to buy games atall now?

Couldn't you have come up with something better than this??

704 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >