Descending
Limit Results:

17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

No subject
Jul 22, 2005, 20:22
No subject Jul 22, 2005, 20:22
Jul 22, 2005, 20:22

I dislike the ease of vehicle transition, the fact that one man can drive a tank and fire both guns, and that you can capture a flag while inside a vehicle.

Guess there are issues that a mod could solve but being that I am clanless and play alot of open pub servers, I just hate the jump in a vehicle and drive between flags for the game.

Unless you play a heavy foot you have no chance against that tool in the blackjack just crusing between flags. And don't say well hop in a vehicle, how can you have a squad game when everyone drives a vehicle.

I thought a good solution was to have a vehicle operator class. Hes the only one who can drive and he only carries a pistol. Once he switches classes he cant go back to vehicle operator. Maybe thats just me because I prefer the idea of being on foot and working for a flag instead of parking next to it spraying large cal cannons.

Nightvision ?!?!?
Jul 14, 2005, 17:22
Nightvision ?!?!? Jul 14, 2005, 17:22
Jul 14, 2005, 17:22

I am tired of nightvision in online FPS games. Whats the point when everyone cranks up their gamma on dark maps.

I like to play with the gamma low, and I like dark maps as long as its single player. In multiplayer I am at a severe disadvantage on dark maps as I refuse to turn up gamma or monitor brightness.

Leave it out as its pointless.

No subject
Nov 17, 2004, 00:05
No subject Nov 17, 2004, 00:05
Nov 17, 2004, 00:05

$80 game and I feel that the 4 hours ive played so far tonight has been worth it.

Only thing I don't like is shelling out 80 bucks then having to ask permission to play.

I can see three reasons for Steam.

One, to cut out the middle man developer, which I happen to like. Artist should get the money that people are willing to spend on their product.

Two, its a way to keep people updated and to track the wants/needs of Valve's consumers.

Three, they are worried about piracy.

Well in my mind they have failed number two already and its only a matter of time for number 3.

I would venture that most people dislike Steam, dislike the fact that they need get authentication for something they paid for.

I'm all for online distribution. I use it very frequently with many utilities. Games are another story though, especially games that take up 3 or more CDs.

I want a hard copy of whatever I purchase, its just the way I feel about these things. In my case a hard copy could be a burn of the downloaded program that I can install whenever I want.

Its funny that safeguards like the ones that Valve is trying to implement only end up hurting the legitimate consumers. The crooks will just wait a few weeks for when one of the cracking houses releases an offline version for the masses.

Personally I can't wait either and I will be downloading the no-steam crack when its available.

Steam is a step forward and a step back. Great idea but bad implementation.

Give us a downloadable program and an email with a key. Make the program authenticate each time its installed with its key to the user who registered it.

Oh and another thing. What happens if you want to run an older version of the software because it runs better on your system before the patch? Are you SOL?

Who knows ... I could be wrong.

Re: Ideas appreciated
Nov 1, 2004, 23:34
Re: Ideas appreciated Nov 1, 2004, 23:34
Nov 1, 2004, 23:34

Personally I feel they should modify the patent law. Stating something to the effect that if you don't actually create something within the scope of the patent you should forfeit your rights for it.

How does a law firm come to hold a Spherical Planning patent? I can only see the reason to, at some point allow companies to use it without informing them only to file suit at a later date and catch said companies with hands in the cookie jar.

Sounds just like the unethical business practices that our country is becoming infamous for.

As for Al gore and his foot in mouth statement about the internet. He should have researched ARPANET on 'his' internet before making comments. As to his effect on the internet, I find it comical that someone should talk about influence on something that anyone in his position would have allowed. He wasn't proactive with the growth of the internet, its just taht he wasn't restrictive. I doubt he could have changed it if he wanted too. Although Tipper must have been psychotic when she realized what a immoral breaeding ground the interet was and she probably blew a fuse when she thought of how to censor it.

Actually I did come up with one idea now about the spereical planning. Division of real estate. Although this would fall under a very broad association within the scope of graphics and line of sight areas.

No subject
Nov 1, 2004, 20:37
No subject Nov 1, 2004, 20:37
Nov 1, 2004, 20:37

Thanks for asking scorpion but I am not stupid. Here is a direct c&p from the home page:

Blizzard Entertainment and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to join in the World of Warcraft Final Stress Test! FilePlanet Subscribers gain access to the Open Beta one week early, so sign-up now and play! NOTE: Uninstall previous versions before install!

Subscribers get in one week early, but it is open to everyone else one week after the start. As for the 7.95 to play it for one week thats up to everyone's personal choice. I find my 5 bucks a month yearly subscription something that I don't even think twice about. I can spend 60 in a bar in one night easily.

As for all the personal attacks on this site, get a grip some of you. You act as if someone differs in opinion from you that you have some how gained some insight that you normally don't possess.

I pay for it because I work hard and can afford it. You don't want to pay for monthly subscriptions on the internet? , then don't. But don't attack people who do, just makes you look jealous and petty.

As for my "Who knows ... I could be wrong." its my universal signature on messageboards. I am not infalible, but I am wise enough to know this.

No subject
Nov 1, 2004, 19:17
No subject Nov 1, 2004, 19:17
Nov 1, 2004, 19:17

There is no need to pay. If you closely read the fine print that no monthly subscription is required, only a registration.

Only a few demos/betas require that you are a paying customer of file planet.

Anyway their bandwidth isn't free. Just like you ISP isn't free. They host more files than anyone else, have a great integrated download manager for you IE users and also keep current on any new developments for games in its community.

I am a subscriber and I feel the $5 a month I pay is well worth it. Takes less then 20 mins to download even the largest of hosted files and thats half the time you have to wait for other 'free' services. It works out to something like 17 cents a day for the service.

Guess I just value my time a little differently then most.

Gold and the trip to valve
Oct 6, 2004, 23:51
Gold and the trip to valve Oct 6, 2004, 23:51
Oct 6, 2004, 23:51

For 90 smackers I want to win a ticket to the World Series, not Valve. I can see it now:

"And right here is the router that the hackers used to steal our source. As you can see this really isn't a router at all. , its just a 8 port hub someone dug out of their garage."

"This chair is where Gabe sat when he devised that ingenious password for those wonderful forums you all love to read posts from us."

"The toilet you see before you is where one of our developers gained insight into Steam. Its amazing how well you can brainstorm while releasing some tension"

No thanks. Touring an office is like touring a hotel or subway. We've all seen one and the building really has nothing to do with the mystique a product holds, even a product with as much aired out as this one.

Whon knows ... I could be wrong.

Tribes and Cultures
Sep 17, 2004, 10:56
Tribes and Cultures Sep 17, 2004, 10:56
Sep 17, 2004, 10:56

I must agree with Mr. Angry. UT2004 is very disimilar to Tribes V. And any large scale team based games that exsists today do so because the original Tribes laid the groundwork.

Enough nostalgia. Tribes V was disappointing to me for a few reasons. One its become more complicated, games nowadays seem to require more from the gamer. In many cases this isn't bad, however when it detracts from the game play it is a con.

A button for skiing almost made me sick up. Skiing used to be a skill on the classic. I didnt play tribes 2, so it very well may have been included in that rendition. But for fucks sake, it was great to be a skier then, shit now anyone can do it. Who ever programmed that into the new tribes musta sucked at skiing in the original.

I am very surprised that they are attempting a release so close to HL2s release. While I won't even breathe on the comparisons, it seems to me that you should have beat them out the door or just made it freeware.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 10:57.

CoD UO sucketh
Sep 17, 2004, 10:34
CoD UO sucketh Sep 17, 2004, 10:34
Sep 17, 2004, 10:34

Well i thought they would have fixed the lame single player AI tactics from the first but I was wrong. I play every game I buy on the hardest setting I can. But CoD is totally lame at these settings. Enemy has incredible luck with their on the move aim. They can shoot miles away through fog and smoke, who knew that thermal goggles exsisted in the 1940s. For fucks sake, some one take some time to write some original AI coding and difficulty scaling instead of just increasing/decreasing aim and health. Its the fucking 21st century, pull some heads outta asses.

Who knew ... I was wrong on CoD UO. Don't waste ya ducats.

VU the US car manufacturer of video game
Aug 30, 2004, 18:02
VU the US car manufacturer of video game Aug 30, 2004, 18:02
Aug 30, 2004, 18:02

Is it me or does it seem VU just pumps out mass quantities of games, many of poor quality, just to get sales?

Some times I am amazed at what people will buy. We as consumers should really try and take control of the video game market and refuse to buy some of the crap they are pushing for the prices they are asking.

Granted I haven't played this demo but my above concern is directed towards VU and not EG. It looks like it could occupy some of my time but imagine if they had put some effort into it.

We have entered the era of video gaming when marketing and propaganda are playing a larger importance then the actual game content.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 18:02.

its the fun factor... fuck the rest
Aug 12, 2004, 12:10
its the fun factor... fuck the rest Aug 12, 2004, 12:10
Aug 12, 2004, 12:10

Honestly so many people that post here are so petty. Who cares if your beloved game isnt loved by others I love Doom3 I hope HL2 will warrant that same love. I hope CS:Source is a great game. I play these games for fun.

Shit I play spider solitaire sometimes. I build maps for SoF2, Q3, and am now working on Doom3. I used to build maps for CS what half a decade ago.

Why can't we all be winners when a game is good? Grow up, lose the petty bickering about what game is tougher. None of them are tough if you dedicate time to them and have some rudimentary hand-eye coordination.

Life is too short for this crap.

FPS Virgins
Aug 5, 2004, 10:37
FPS Virgins Aug 5, 2004, 10:37
Aug 5, 2004, 10:37

Doom the original will always have a place in my heart. Wolfenstien was ok but Doom had the demons.

I will never be able to have that original feeling back. I won't be able to enjoy that FPS newness that was there for me.

That being said, I for one thought they were making a remake of Doom. Which in my mind they did, and surpassed what I was expecting from it.

What was Doom but a run around grab ammo, health, armor, power-ups, and shoot deamons game. id has recreated this perfectly in my mind.

I love it when people talk about the weapons in games sounding like crap. Of course they are going to sound unrealistic. Have a friend stand next to you and fire a shotgun when your playing the game. Im sure that will sound realistic, but then again how many times could that be done before you're deaf. So lets not bring up sound realism again - its just not realistic to have realistic sounds.

Innovative gaming. Well innovative gaming hasn't happened since the first game of any genre has been developed in my opinion. So you can add new weapons, vehicles, new in game puzzles. Its still the same here is your gun here is your enemy no matter how you dress it up. The only way to overcome this is to remove scripting. Have too many choices, probably making to large of a game. For example, don't you hate it when a door is locked for no reason, or that explosion just happened to block your path back. Although I think most would find this type of gaming to difficult. Lets face it, most people want to be led by the hand.

Difficulty settings. If you can't play the game on the hardest setting ootb return it. Personally I say ship the game with two settings HAF and HTF (hard as f$%k, harder than f#$k). Don't waste your own time dumbing down the game only to know everything about it when you want a challenge.

Personally I am enjoying the game. I don't have alot of time to dedicate to it consecutively. So maybe thats why I am enjoying it. I sit down and play for an hour or two then I need to handle some work. So I don't feel any repetitiveness.

Re: Artifacting
Aug 4, 2004, 21:41
Re: Artifacting Aug 4, 2004, 21:41
Aug 4, 2004, 21:41

All you people having problems with a max of 30 fps - turn off vsync. For some reason if you dont use the setting that your desktop has you wont get above 30fps. Just saw this while playing with my controls.

When installing these ....
Aug 3, 2004, 20:16
When installing these .... Aug 3, 2004, 20:16
Aug 3, 2004, 20:16

First off I've had some problems with these on other apps, but nothing major just some artifacts that didnt belong.

To correctly install any ATI Catalyst drivers you should first uninstall the previous versions as they tell you to do on the web site. If you just install these over the top you're gonna run into problems.

Best thing to do is get the following files from ATI's site and run them in the following order:

1. Download the latest drivers and also smartgart-uninstall.exe and cat-uninstall.exe.

2. Run smartgart-uninstall.exe. When it says to restart say NO.

3. Run cat-uninstall.exe. When it says to restart say YES.

4. When your machine comes up run the new driver installer.

That should do you right.

Happy fraggin in hell all.

"Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation." -BL

... its starts when they are young
Jul 29, 2004, 20:40
... its starts when they are young Jul 29, 2004, 20:40
Jul 29, 2004, 20:40

Few things here:

1. I'm sure this can be traced back to some underdeveloped social behavior that this child lacked throught most of his upbringing. Many people play a very large amount of violent and adult themeed games and are able control their social behaviors. So there had to be something lacking in this 17yos mind.

2. Maybe 'Manhunt' was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak, but it certainly isn't a contributing factor to the crime, maybe to this childs poor morality.

3. There will always be situations like this for the major reason that most parents don't raise their children past the age of 11 or 12. Children raise themselves in today's society. I was a latch key child, fortunately I had a very strong ethical and moral base from which to derive that factors that influence my choices in life, obviously something this young adult didn't have.

4. If hes 17 then he should have known better, try him as an adult and then the issue of video games goes away(not sure if they can in the UK).

Someone said : " Games are available almost anywhere. The boy could have played it at a friend's house or a store. Parents usually don't buy their children cigarettes, alcohol, or illegal drugs either, but that doesn't stop their children from getting their hands on them.

Without appropriate laws, the only way to discourage video game companies from marketing and selling inappropriate products to minors is to hold them accountable for the consequences.

This confused me. How can you hold anyone responsible except the manufacturer for making a game deemed inappropriate when like you stated he could have gotten it anywhere. To me that indicates that some form of censorship is required on the development of games.

I would rather see retailers held responsible for selling to people not of age. 'Well he got it from his friend' then hold his friend accountable or his friends parents if they bought it for a minor.

The real person responsible here is the parents first, for not instilling good values and morals that should have prevented this from going this far. In last place would be whoever allowed this child to play the game. No where could I see someone making an objectional product regardless who they market it to as long as age verification is put in effect at the retail level as at fault. You can use an infinite number of produced art or media for inspiration or imitation to emulate violence. The act comes from your action from your thought.

Physicians heal thyselves....
Jul 29, 2004, 14:42
Physicians heal thyselves.... Jul 29, 2004, 14:42
Jul 29, 2004, 14:42

As our worlds morality dwindles, our legality grows.

Police yourselves, don't ask someone else to do it, you wont like the outcome in the long run.

H-L 2 Delayed?
Aug 3, 2003, 04:38
H-L 2 Delayed? Aug 3, 2003, 04:38
Aug 3, 2003, 04:38

If it was or was not delayed would we have not heard something about it?

In most cases being quiet is like an addmission of guilt.

Heck I could be wrong, but no words have come to dispute the delay....

goatman

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 04:39.
17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older