Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 352 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Drakensang Announced
7. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2006, 10:22 grudgebearer

Star Trail was a very good and hard RPG. Definitely also in my top 10 RPGs.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 14:06.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars Announced
18. ...hmmm... Apr 20, 2006, 12:21 grudgebearer

From the screenshot here:

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/cc_firstdecade/cnc3announce_medium.jpg

It looks like the GDI raided the Space Marines from WH40K: Dawn of War and made off with their power armor, but forgot their helmets.

I think I will pass on this one...I just have no faith in EA at all these days.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 12:24.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Pot-stirring
38. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2006, 14:40 grudgebearer

Zathrus
They're paying for the development themselves. There are no outside financial interests involved.

If they want to burn their money that way, hey, more power to them.

They might be financing it themselves, but I doubt they are actively paying for the production out of pocket. There is some bank or other financial institution that is giving them business loans of some sorts.

I need to find out what institution it is because apparently the give you money without a business plan, collateral, or a real product.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Pot-stirring
5. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2006, 11:29 grudgebearer

I'm just wondering who is dumb enough to keep fronting money for the dev team to keep working on this project? Seriously, who is stupid enough to keep pumping money into a game studio that has been working on the same game for nine years and hasn't produced anything?

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Rage Hard Revealed
5. Quake 2 Action... Apr 10, 2006, 10:07 grudgebearer

The graphics in this game remind of the Quake 2 Action mod...

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > SiN Episodes Times Nine
75. Re: 9 Episodes = 3 retail tittles Apr 6, 2006, 16:44 grudgebearer

Optimaximal
Just go and bitch about StarForce or something worthwhile thats currently in the wild biting at our heels.

You know, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and go over the points I made earlier, but I see that like nin you are just another rabid fanboi who feels the need tell anyone who debates the merits of episodic content/Sin as bitching.

Grow up dude, one day your parents will allow you to play games with the big boys, come back when you can have an intelligent debate

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 16:47.

-Robert Heinlein

68. Re: You guys are making a false comparis Apr 6, 2006, 13:29 grudgebearer

MacD
But I will say that there are certain Deus Ex levels, and certain Halflife levels, and levels from Doom, Alice, Thief2, System Shock etc. which I'd happily replay (the rooftops, liberty island...you know the levels if you've played them ).

I agree there are levels that I like to replay especially in Deus Ex, Thief2 and several other games, but I can tell you right now, I wouldn't want to pay $20 for that level alone.

-Robert Heinlein

67. Re: 9 Episodes = 3 retail tittles Apr 6, 2006, 13:24 grudgebearer

Cobalt
I don't see your logic here (entirely). When you buy 1 game, it has the same gameplay and relative content. So if 3 episodes contain the same content and relative gameplay as a full length title what's the difference. This argument would only hold true if they changed nothing at all in the course of 9 episodes. Which they have already stated is not going to happen. They plan to make adjustments, add new features and content with each episode. Of course this is all words. Until it happens we won't know.

I think you might have missed the point that I was trying to make. With 3 full length games you get 3 gaming experiences, 3 different stories, 3 different styles (sometimes), 3 different game engines (sometimes). So pound for pound per say, you are getting more when you buy three different retail games than when you buy 3 3-episode blocks of Sin, or any other episodic game.

Now that doesn't mean that nothing will change during the episodes, but the core of the game is more than likely going to remain the same so the experience you have with three seperate full length games is not going to be replicated. More apptly you could compare it to a full lenth game and subsequent expansion packs, additional content, but very same gameplay and style.

You are making an assumption that the technology will not change. I think that's a major oversight. The Source engine is going under major revisions atm. And will over the next few years. Valve is moving towards episodic content, heck they've essentially been testing that model for 5 years now with HL1. Constantly adding bits here and there (for free). Using HDR as an example, this was a major rendering addition. More is coming, be sure of that. And unless Ritual does 0 changes to the renderer themselves, which I doubt, expect that they plan to do more with it. Also they are working on their own tech.

I'm not arguing that the source engine technology is not changing, but in comparison with lets say Sin episodes 1-3 and episodes 6-9, you are not going to see an advancement in engine design/implementation as you see in lets say Quake 1 and Quake 3.

So you can't really compare Sin episode blocks to successive installments of a game franchise, because basicly the core of the game is going to be the same or similar to what is released in episode 1.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 13:27.

-Robert Heinlein

62. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 11:30 grudgebearer

nin
I never said "anyone not jumping on the bandwagon is just bitching."

Then you should probably have specified as to what the phrase 'bitch about' was referring to, since before your post that ammounted to, bitching about supposed bitching, I thought that we were debating the merits of episodic content delivery systems.

So, is it possible that the only person who was actually 'bitching' about anything, was you?

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 11:32.

-Robert Heinlein

60. Re: You guys are making a false comparis Apr 6, 2006, 11:25 grudgebearer

MacD
I see all this price/lenght/movie comparing going on, but you're doing in a wrong way.

How it goes (in my mind at least) is like this:

a movie compares to a game (ie the 2 hours for $20 compares to the ten hours@$40-$50); as finished products they compare much more this way than any other price/lenght/whatever comparison. A 1:2 to 1:2.5 ratio, pricewise.

You pay about $50-$70 bucks for a series of tvepisodes on DVD, $180 for the Sin 'season'...a 1:2.5 ratio. So considered that way, it kinda works out.

Still, I think $15 would be a better pricing for these game episodes, purely psychologically.

And all this does mean that the Sin season has to be bloody good, like Futurama or Deadwood good.

I see where you are coming from, and this is just a fundamental difference between you and myself. I haven't payed $20 for a DVD or even a CD for that matter in years, for the same reason as I don't buy into the episodic content system; the content/price ratio isn't high enough that I feel it warrants the price being asked.

The only problem with comparing episodic content for video games, and entire seasons of a television show on DVD is the replayability factor. I got the Band of Brothers boxed set at a used book store, and I occasionally go back and watch an episode or two because I like the story, but there is no interactivity and minimal effort is involved to accomplish this. How many games have you played that you wanted to go back and play just the middle section of, knowing that you were going to have the same experience, just as if you were watching episide 23 of season 4 of Seinfeld? I guess if you can say that you would enjoy it then episodic content is for you, but I don't think that the current implementation is going to appeal to myself.

-Robert Heinlein

57. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 11:17 grudgebearer

nin
Where did I say that? Quote, please...

Post No. 48

-Robert Heinlein

53. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 10:51 grudgebearer

nin

Actually, I was going to comment earlier in this thread that your posts in the SIN threads have been very thought out and reasonable...

But hey, if you want to be an asshole, fuck you too...

nin, if I wasn't an asshole, then the only thing that you would have to bitch about would be the fact that people are debating episodic content and Sin, one of which apparently drives your psyche to such masturbatory heights that the thought of anyone not jumping on the bandwagon is just bitching.

Now you can mix it up and bitch about me being an asshole, and bitch about people "bitching" about episodic content/Sin.

-Robert Heinlein

50. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 10:39 grudgebearer

nin
But what will they bitch about then?

Oh yes, because debating the merits of episodic content, or questioning the balance of gameplay/price in a game that costs $20/"3-6hr" episode is just being a cheap whiney bitch right?

I think we might have us a rabid fanboy with his feelings hurt guys...be careful

-Robert Heinlein

46. Re: 9 Episodes = 3 retail tittles Apr 6, 2006, 10:21 grudgebearer

Cobalt
Argument #2 - Price

People think this game will cost more than a traditional retail release. This is simply not true.

When finished, SiN Episodes will cost no more than 3 traditional full length games. Provided they meet the minimum 3hrs of gameplay for "experienced gamers" that is the same value as releasing 3 full length titles.

What you are equating here is apples and oranges. If you buy 3 full length games you are getting 3 full length gaming experiences. In buying 3, 3-episode blocks of the same game you are getting "more" content, but still a single gaming experience. This is not an equal comparison, especially since no one knows whether the added content will bring new features or it will just be akin to adding more maps with the same gameplay from previous episodes.

It would not even be acceptable to compare the 9 Sin episodes to a trilogy of games such as Quake 1, 2, 3 since in a typical game trilogy the technology and features change with each installment providing a substantially different gaming experience with each new iteration. With episodic content I doubt that any extensive new features will be added with each episode because of the myriad of problems involved in changing core mechanics of a game.

-Robert Heinlein

38. Re: Well Apr 6, 2006, 09:25 grudgebearer

It looks like episodic content may become the MMOG model for FPS gaming. You buy the initial game at "3-6" hrs of gameplay , and then they release content updates every 4-6 weeks to get more money from you. Is this bad? I guess that depends on how much you want to play the added content, just like with MMOGs you can buy the game and keep paying your monthly fee as long as you want to try to keep getting to the highest level.

I can't imagine that the episodes will have enough diversity of content so that I would want to play/pay for three more hours of gameplay. Lets face it, there is only so much shooting you can do in a game before it just becomes boring, and most FPSs lack depth of story to lessen this dullness.

just my .02

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > SiN Episode 1 Retail Plans
12. Re: Have your stopwatch ready Apr 5, 2006, 16:22 grudgebearer

The ammount of money spent on a game isn't really the issue with why I choose not to buy into the whole episodic content system. My main concern is that publisheres will see this method of development as a way to slap together games even more half-assedly as they do now and release them bug-laden and half-broken (I <3 -'s).

But this quote from the Sin website disturbes me...

Buy as little or as much of the game as you want, with each installment offering 3 - 6 hours of action-packed gameplay

Now we all know that game companies always overestimate the game length in order to generate sales. When I see 3 - 6 hrs per episode, in reality I am thinking about 1.5-2.5 per episode. I really don't like the economics of lets say a 10 episode game that costs me 200 bucks and delivers a whopping combined game length of 17 hours. Call me chincy, but I want more bang for my buck.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > SiN Episode 1 Retail Plans
9. Re: Have your stopwatch ready Apr 5, 2006, 15:47 grudgebearer

I for one refuse to pay 20 bucks for episodic content. In fact, I refuse to play games that are distributed via episodic content.

That's just me though, everyone else is free to do what ever they want with their cash.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Announcement
34. Re: No subject Mar 22, 2006, 15:58 grudgebearer

Tango

Meh, for me there are enough futuristic FPS - ET:QW, Unreal Tournament 2007 seem to have the genre pretty well sewn up. For me there aren't enough modern day games. I find these the most immersive. Apart from anything else, I don't see how "mechs" would work. Surely a tank is more stable and better all round design?

The advantage of a Mech/walker would be the ability to go up and over uneven terrain and cross water more effectively since most of the components would be high enough on the frame that they would not be submerged.

A mech wouldn't replace the tank, they both would have roles to fill.

Grudgebearer

-Robert Heinlein

22. Re: Popups on BluesNews Mar 22, 2006, 12:52 grudgebearer

I think once I blackholed the 10 major ad sites that I have added maybe one site to it in the past year.

Maintenance...is not an issue.

Oh and for the record...BF2142 is going to be another "lets all stand around this flag for awhile and shoot, then we can go and stand around that flag for awhile and shoot" game. There has never been any real objecitve-based gameplay in any of the BF series and as long as EA is envolved it will be the same rehashed gameplay with revamped graphics.

ET:QW will make this game look and feel as tired and rehashed as it truly is.

Grudgebearer

-Robert Heinlein

20. Re: Popups on BluesNews Mar 22, 2006, 12:41 grudgebearer

Moozilla:

Just set up your own DNS server and blackhole all of those ad sites to 127.0.0.1. I never get any popups anymore unless I come across a new ad site. In fact, many of the shitty advertisements in lots of banner ads are gone too.

Grudgebearer

-Robert Heinlein

352 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo