Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 359 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - WarPath
19. Re: No subject Jun 30, 2006, 10:00 grudgebearer

PHJF

Yeah, you said it. I still regularly play Half-Life: Natural Selection. It's high time a good online shooter came out.

Fear not, Quake Wars cometh...The latest preview written by a Wolf:ET player who got to playtest the current build says:

"That fact is, quite simply, that you've been here before.
It's been lost in the amazing visuals, the filthy gut-sucking tactics of the Strogg, the cavalcade of beautifully chunky vehicles and the advent of the much-fabled megatexture - but the clue is in the name: Enemy Territory. The game feels just like Wolfenstein:
Enemy Territory - a stronger more solid variant on it, perhaps - but the vibe's still there. If you try really hard, you can still just about smell the Nazis."

Blues has the full review linked on the main page but here's the link too...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=142263

"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live!"
- Officio Exterminatum In Exterminatus Extremis
This comment was edited on Jun 30, 10:01.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. ... Jun 28, 2006, 10:19 grudgebearer

"I think the Titan game mode is unique from the point that, one, it's the first new Battlefield game mode.

Yes, we are all staggered by the fact that BF2142 is the first game in the series that you have ever so slightly deviated from capture the flag.

And I would say that most of the game modes coming out, really, obviously, are taking from playing other games and learning from other game modes. And you take pieces from each and every one.

Translation: People are getting tired of standing next to flags will they go up and down, so we thought we would rip off the ideas fleshed out in Tribes, Unreal, Enemy Territory ect.. to try and milk the playerbase a little longer with this "new" game mode.

I think coming out with a brand new game mode that has never been seen in any game like it before, is very hard, and I don't think that that would necessarily be good for a good game mode.

WTF?! Innovation is bad, and it is better to just stick with the same old game modes that have been in the previous three titles, or rip off the ideas from other games instead of coming up with something new?

I think That last statement may have summed up everything that is wrong with the BF series and EA/Dice.

"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live!"
- Officio Exterminatum In Exterminatus Extremis

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > The Early Show
4. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2006, 11:55 grudgebearer

Meh, nothing new here. No more EA/Dice/BF* titles for myself.

Bring on ET:QW.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DropTeam
7. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2006, 14:19 grudgebearer

War

Not that you'd know, since all you know of UC is that is developed by a guy a lot of losers on the Internet don't like.

I actually tried out UC back in its' time. It really was one of the worst games that I had ever played. In fact I don't think I have played a game since with as clunky of an interface as UC.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 14:19.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Plans
23. Re: No subject May 26, 2006, 10:45 grudgebearer

DangerDog

Quake Wars and any other BF2 clone canít come out soon enough. Too bad it doesnít look like anything is going to happen till next

Quake Wars is NOT a BF2 clone. Asymmetric teams, actual objective gameplay (none of this stand by a flag till it drops and we get teh points W00t w00T shit). Just because QW has guys with guns and vehicles does not make it a freaking BF2 clone.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Dark World Online... May 23, 2006, 11:57 grudgebearer

I hope that Tulga has left enough money for a legal defense fund, White Wolf is going to go apeshit over them ripping of their World of Darkness IP.

Grudgebearer

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > D&D Online Free Trial
18. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2006, 10:29 grudgebearer

Fausticle

Besides Eberon sucks! Give me Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, Greyhawk, or Darksun any day of the week.

I agree, this MMOG would have had a much better chance of drawing a crowd if they had stuck with one of the classic realms, but Wizards of the Coast is dead-set on promoting Eberon as much as possible.

A Darksun or Planescape based MMOG would have rocked

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Drakensang Announced
7. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2006, 10:22 grudgebearer

Star Trail was a very good and hard RPG. Definitely also in my top 10 RPGs.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 14:06.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars Announced
18. ...hmmm... Apr 20, 2006, 12:21 grudgebearer

From the screenshot here:

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/cc_firstdecade/cnc3announce_medium.jpg

It looks like the GDI raided the Space Marines from WH40K: Dawn of War and made off with their power armor, but forgot their helmets.

I think I will pass on this one...I just have no faith in EA at all these days.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 12:24.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Pot-stirring
38. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2006, 14:40 grudgebearer

Zathrus
They're paying for the development themselves. There are no outside financial interests involved.

If they want to burn their money that way, hey, more power to them.

They might be financing it themselves, but I doubt they are actively paying for the production out of pocket. There is some bank or other financial institution that is giving them business loans of some sorts.

I need to find out what institution it is because apparently the give you money without a business plan, collateral, or a real product.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Pot-stirring
5. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2006, 11:29 grudgebearer

I'm just wondering who is dumb enough to keep fronting money for the dev team to keep working on this project? Seriously, who is stupid enough to keep pumping money into a game studio that has been working on the same game for nine years and hasn't produced anything?

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Rage Hard Revealed
5. Quake 2 Action... Apr 10, 2006, 10:07 grudgebearer

The graphics in this game remind of the Quake 2 Action mod...

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > SiN Episodes Times Nine
75. Re: 9 Episodes = 3 retail tittles Apr 6, 2006, 16:44 grudgebearer

Optimaximal
Just go and bitch about StarForce or something worthwhile thats currently in the wild biting at our heels.

You know, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and go over the points I made earlier, but I see that like nin you are just another rabid fanboi who feels the need tell anyone who debates the merits of episodic content/Sin as bitching.

Grow up dude, one day your parents will allow you to play games with the big boys, come back when you can have an intelligent debate

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 16:47.

-Robert Heinlein

68. Re: You guys are making a false comparis Apr 6, 2006, 13:29 grudgebearer

MacD
But I will say that there are certain Deus Ex levels, and certain Halflife levels, and levels from Doom, Alice, Thief2, System Shock etc. which I'd happily replay (the rooftops, liberty island...you know the levels if you've played them ).

I agree there are levels that I like to replay especially in Deus Ex, Thief2 and several other games, but I can tell you right now, I wouldn't want to pay $20 for that level alone.

-Robert Heinlein

67. Re: 9 Episodes = 3 retail tittles Apr 6, 2006, 13:24 grudgebearer

Cobalt
I don't see your logic here (entirely). When you buy 1 game, it has the same gameplay and relative content. So if 3 episodes contain the same content and relative gameplay as a full length title what's the difference. This argument would only hold true if they changed nothing at all in the course of 9 episodes. Which they have already stated is not going to happen. They plan to make adjustments, add new features and content with each episode. Of course this is all words. Until it happens we won't know.

I think you might have missed the point that I was trying to make. With 3 full length games you get 3 gaming experiences, 3 different stories, 3 different styles (sometimes), 3 different game engines (sometimes). So pound for pound per say, you are getting more when you buy three different retail games than when you buy 3 3-episode blocks of Sin, or any other episodic game.

Now that doesn't mean that nothing will change during the episodes, but the core of the game is more than likely going to remain the same so the experience you have with three seperate full length games is not going to be replicated. More apptly you could compare it to a full lenth game and subsequent expansion packs, additional content, but very same gameplay and style.

You are making an assumption that the technology will not change. I think that's a major oversight. The Source engine is going under major revisions atm. And will over the next few years. Valve is moving towards episodic content, heck they've essentially been testing that model for 5 years now with HL1. Constantly adding bits here and there (for free). Using HDR as an example, this was a major rendering addition. More is coming, be sure of that. And unless Ritual does 0 changes to the renderer themselves, which I doubt, expect that they plan to do more with it. Also they are working on their own tech.

I'm not arguing that the source engine technology is not changing, but in comparison with lets say Sin episodes 1-3 and episodes 6-9, you are not going to see an advancement in engine design/implementation as you see in lets say Quake 1 and Quake 3.

So you can't really compare Sin episode blocks to successive installments of a game franchise, because basicly the core of the game is going to be the same or similar to what is released in episode 1.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 13:27.

-Robert Heinlein

62. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 11:30 grudgebearer

nin
I never said "anyone not jumping on the bandwagon is just bitching."

Then you should probably have specified as to what the phrase 'bitch about' was referring to, since before your post that ammounted to, bitching about supposed bitching, I thought that we were debating the merits of episodic content delivery systems.

So, is it possible that the only person who was actually 'bitching' about anything, was you?

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 11:32.

-Robert Heinlein

60. Re: You guys are making a false comparis Apr 6, 2006, 11:25 grudgebearer

MacD
I see all this price/lenght/movie comparing going on, but you're doing in a wrong way.

How it goes (in my mind at least) is like this:

a movie compares to a game (ie the 2 hours for $20 compares to the ten hours@$40-$50); as finished products they compare much more this way than any other price/lenght/whatever comparison. A 1:2 to 1:2.5 ratio, pricewise.

You pay about $50-$70 bucks for a series of tvepisodes on DVD, $180 for the Sin 'season'...a 1:2.5 ratio. So considered that way, it kinda works out.

Still, I think $15 would be a better pricing for these game episodes, purely psychologically.

And all this does mean that the Sin season has to be bloody good, like Futurama or Deadwood good.

I see where you are coming from, and this is just a fundamental difference between you and myself. I haven't payed $20 for a DVD or even a CD for that matter in years, for the same reason as I don't buy into the episodic content system; the content/price ratio isn't high enough that I feel it warrants the price being asked.

The only problem with comparing episodic content for video games, and entire seasons of a television show on DVD is the replayability factor. I got the Band of Brothers boxed set at a used book store, and I occasionally go back and watch an episode or two because I like the story, but there is no interactivity and minimal effort is involved to accomplish this. How many games have you played that you wanted to go back and play just the middle section of, knowing that you were going to have the same experience, just as if you were watching episide 23 of season 4 of Seinfeld? I guess if you can say that you would enjoy it then episodic content is for you, but I don't think that the current implementation is going to appeal to myself.

-Robert Heinlein

57. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 11:17 grudgebearer

nin
Where did I say that? Quote, please...

Post No. 48

-Robert Heinlein

53. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 10:51 grudgebearer

nin

Actually, I was going to comment earlier in this thread that your posts in the SIN threads have been very thought out and reasonable...

But hey, if you want to be an asshole, fuck you too...

nin, if I wasn't an asshole, then the only thing that you would have to bitch about would be the fact that people are debating episodic content and Sin, one of which apparently drives your psyche to such masturbatory heights that the thought of anyone not jumping on the bandwagon is just bitching.

Now you can mix it up and bitch about me being an asshole, and bitch about people "bitching" about episodic content/Sin.

-Robert Heinlein

50. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2006, 10:39 grudgebearer

nin
But what will they bitch about then?

Oh yes, because debating the merits of episodic content, or questioning the balance of gameplay/price in a game that costs $20/"3-6hr" episode is just being a cheap whiney bitch right?

I think we might have us a rabid fanboy with his feelings hurt guys...be careful

-Robert Heinlein

359 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo