Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 357 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > ETQW Demo Details
10. Re: gah! Sep 6, 2007, 13:02 grudgebearer

sponge

The biggest change is the forward spawn being available on the Shield Generator stage. This was largely considered the biggest problem with the map; the MCP phase needed work but the Shield Gen was even worse.

They really need to reevaluate the vehicle dynamics of Phase 2.

GDF get something like 1 Goliath, 3 huskies (which are no comparison to the Icarus) 1 APC, and 3 Humvee.

Strogg have 2 hogs, 1 tormentor, 4 Icarus, and a desecrator.

With no airpower, and huskies being weaponless and basically useless unless you plant a mine on the front of it, GDF is hadicapped pretty bad when it comes to vehicles until they capture the outpost.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: gah! Sep 6, 2007, 12:53 grudgebearer

Scottish Martial Arts

It all depends on which team has their act together. When Beta 2 was first released, all of us on the first server I played on were convinced that the map was horribly biased in favor of GDF. The reason? In Phase 3 and 4, GDF can easily spawn camp the Strogg's main spawn with vehicles, if they know what they're doing. Since then I've rarely seen it happen, but if GDF can vehicle rush straight across the bridge, up the ramp and hang a right into the Strogg spawn, they can easily tie down enough Strogg players that Covert Ops shouldn't have any problem hacking the shield gen. The point is that the map offers opportunities for both teams to dominate if and only if the teams have their acts together. Otherwise it has seemed to be roughly even as to which team wins.

in the beginning it may hold true as to just which team has their act together, but now since beta 2 and valley have been out for weeks look at the stats. Strogg sits with a 2/1 win ratio over GDF. GDF get no airpower in the first phase, strogg have the Icarus and the Tormentor. Not to mention the massive deployable area that that the Strogg have in all three phases of the map compared to the horrendous deployable area tha GDF gets.

Yeah GDF can spawn camp the back Strogg spawn with a goliath, but it isn't easy or quick to get a tank up there to do it.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

1. gah! Sep 6, 2007, 11:36 grudgebearer

I hope they made some serious changes to Valley...the beta 2 version is so biased in favor of Strogg that it is somewhat pointless to even play it.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Next Week
31. Re: Nay Nay Sep 6, 2007, 08:23 grudgebearer

LordLaggart

It seems that everyone these days likes to nay say. I played alot of WolfET and loved that game. I have never been better at any other game.

I am still a big Wolf:ET player, and I love that game. Unfortunately ET:QW is nothing like WOlf:ET at all really, barring the fact that they have the same classes. I played through Beta 1 and Beta 2 until there weren't any non-bot servers with less than a 120 ping that were populated, and no matter how much I tried to like ET:QW it just has too many problems. Even though SD had said time and time again that ET:QW would feel like Wolf:ET in the quake universe; it just doesn't.

I'll try out the demo to see what all improvements they were actually able to get in there from beta 2, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Some of the most unresponsive controls of any FPS that I have ever played.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 08:24.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Next Week
19. gah... Sep 4, 2007, 21:57 grudgebearer

The movement in Beta 2 still feels spongey at best, and compared to the Q1, Q2, and Q3 engine games the controls are still somewhat unresponsive.

ET:QW tries its damnedest to feel like Wolf:ET in the Quake universe but it just doesn't get it.

I really hope that they spent several hours revamping the netcode and the hit detection or there are going to be so many 'WTF' moments that the community site is going to have to shut down from all of the "feedback".

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Nears
23. Yep... Sep 2, 2007, 00:14 grudgebearer

Beady

For a lot of people, this game went from must buy to avoid in the space of two beta's.

Its a huge let-down from the awesomeness that was Enemy Territory.

This is just BF2 with bad weapons, vehicles, sounds and silly mission objectives.

That is pretty much how I feel. I had tons of faith in the SD crew that they would deliver an excellent follow up to Wolf: ET, but the game just fails in so many areas. I think the underlying problem with ET:QW is the engine it self. It just isn't up to snuff when it comes to MP gaming.

The lag is horrible, the hit detection is atrocious, and the controls almost feel like there is about a half second delay when moving and firing. Throw in all kinds of problems with the antilag and there is just too many inherent problems with the game for me to want to deal with.

I had been waiting for this game forever, but the betas have really shown that what was promised and what was delivered are just too far apart.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Gold - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars
81. Re: meh... Aug 31, 2007, 11:56 grudgebearer

Wow someone has way too much time on their hands...

But apparently your reading comprehension skills have failed to evolve along with your trolling.

As I said, I had high hopes for this game, but the final product has turned out not to be what Splashdamage had set out to do.

In the end the BF series is still rehashed garbage, ET:QW still has better conceptual MP gameplay than most of the titles coming out, and you're still a trolling retard.

Life goes on.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 11:58.

-Robert Heinlein

77. Re: meh... Aug 31, 2007, 09:12 grudgebearer

They have their work cut out for them. With the fact that the asymmetric teams has caused some some serious balance issues, along with inherent balance issues with the valley map alone, it is going to make for an interesting post-release. I doubt adding VoIP back into the game will even get looked at any time soon.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 11:51.

-Robert Heinlein

75. meh... Aug 31, 2007, 08:07 grudgebearer

Played through both betas... Spongy mouse controls, horrible lag even on servers with low pings, dismal hit detection, poor antilag and netcode in general.

I had a lot of hopes for this game because the SD guys were touting that the game would feel like Wolf:ET in the quake universe, but that just isn't the case. Then you couple the fact that they are having throwing in in game ads while throwing out built-in VoIP, and I see little need to actually purchase this game.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 08:07.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > New ETQW Beta Nears
12. Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 13:47 grudgebearer

Igor
This isn't a Quake game really.. it's an Enemy Territory game. If you played the first Enemy Territory, you'll feel right at home.

I have to disagree with you here. I have played W:ET since the map test, and I still play it today. I have a beta key and I have played quite a few hours in the game, but it doesn't really feel like W:ET in terms of actual gameplay at all. The Doom 3 engine is still clunky as hell even with all of the improvements they have made, and while the netcode was improved in the beta patch it is still pretty rough when it comes to hit detection and antilag.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Trailer
28. ... Jul 12, 2007, 11:02 grudgebearer

I've been waiting for this game forever, and I have been trying to enjoy the testing the beta, but this game has some huge problem in the areas of hitscan and netcode. Lag has been horrible since the beta update, and with a 30 ping playing against other players with similar pings I can point my crosshairs right at an opponent and the bullets still miss half the time. Don't even bother firing without trying to lead 10 feet if they have a higher ping than you do.

The vehicle physics are pretty screwy too. Like when you are on a husky quadbike and you are running full speed at the edge of a small cliff and instead of shooting off of it you ride down the side of the cliff.

Couple all this with the fact that they removed built-in VOIP from the game after spending a solid year touting it as an integral feater, and that according to SD's own MoP there is going to be an average of 15 advertisements per map this game is losing its appeal quicly

I'll reserve my final judgments for the demo, but all-in-all i am quite unimpressed so far.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 11:04.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Update
16. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2007, 20:41 grudgebearer

unis5000

why are they using PunkBuster for a new beta? are the leet haxors already making aimbots for it?

I actually have the beta, and unfortunately there are some wallhacks and aimbots already available for QW. I haven't made any demos myself yet, but there are a number of threads on the community site where people have posted demos of them.

Hacks in the beta = dead game before release.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > ETQW Beta for Free Accounts
20. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2007, 21:57 grudgebearer

The lack of built in VOIP is going to hurt this game. Yes I know there are 3rd party alternatives, but without it being easily accessible to the majority of the people playing few people are going be able to effectively communicate.

I played about 2.5 hours today, and while there are a ton of improvements needed, especially in the areas of hit detection and weapon damage, the game has potential. It's too bad that they are trying to turn it into a vehicle for advertisements.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 22:00.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars Beta Tomorrow?
39. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 21:56 grudgebearer

Prez

Not into beta's myself, but I'm looking forward to the ET:QW release. As long as it is reasonably stable, bug-free, and doesn't use punkbuster, it's a must-buy for me

You can go ahead and quit looking forward to the release, and start looking at other games. I have the beta client installed right now (no key though), and one of the questions you are asked during installation is if you want to install punkbuster or not.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars Beta Tomorrow?
10. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 12:40 grudgebearer

Cutter

Why pay the price of a game for 1 buggy map? If I get in, cool. If not, I can wait. I don't know if I'll even be buying the retail version of this. I can see it just being a rampant cheat/hackfest. That's my overriding concern more thn anything else. Can they keep it cheat free?

No game is completely cheat free; why would you expect this game to be any different?

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > StarCraft II Movie
26. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 23:45 grudgebearer

Xero

Oh, quiet you nerd. I'm sorry if I'm too hip for you to understand. Go outside and you'll learn some new lingo.

Hmm, nerd, is that a compliment? I spend plenty of time outside, I just avoid you scenester kids like the plague.

It's all about how everything is put together and polish really plays a big role in an RTS. I can't begin to compare the amount of interface control you get with Wc3 compared to let's say AoE3 or C&C 3 Tiberian Wars.

Warcraft 3 is by far the most unbalanced of all of Blizzard's RTS games, and there was no real change in the amount of interface control between starcraft and warcraft 3, and whether or not the control in other games is better or worse than warcraft 3 is a highly debatable topic.

-Robert Heinlein

25. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 23:29 grudgebearer

AcidDrone

I'm just not entirely sure what innovations you guys expect in the RTS genre, most things have been done imo.

There is a difference between innovation, change, and revamping the graphics on game and trying to pass it off as a sequel; which is the impression that the available media portrays at the moment.

Granted none of us have played the game, but the videos just look like starcraft with better graphics. While warcraft 3 didn't break any new ground really in the RTS field other than adding heroes, it warcraft 3 doesn't just seem like a reskinned version of warcraft or warcraft 2.

-Robert Heinlein

19. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 20:42 grudgebearer

Xero

This game looks sick.

I'm not sure I can take a person seriously when the use the term "sick" in that manner. Maybe a greater understanding of of hip scenester lingo would allow me to look at this game as a game for "hardcore" RTS gamers?

-Robert Heinlein

12. Re: So bitterly disapointed Jun 15, 2007, 16:09 grudgebearer

eunichron

There really is no pleasing the Blue's News crowd. The sequel to the best competitive multiplayer RTS ever, and you guys already hate it without having seen more than 1/4 of the content.

So how many gameplay videos do we have to watch where we see the same gameplay as in Starcraft 1 before we can say the game is just like starcraft 1? I've watched four I believe now, and even the terrain looks like a 3D version of starcraft terrain. So after I watch 4 videos of focusing on the terrans and then 4 on the zerg will that suffice?

I'm not going to give this game a pass because it's blizzard, and I love many of the games they have created, but if you are going to produce a sequel to a game that is very similar in design and appearance to the previous game, then don't release a bunch of content that makes it look like a reskinned version of the old game with a few new units unless you want people to think that it looks like a reskinned version of the previous game.

It doesn't matter any way. This game will sell like mad in South Korea and the rest of Asia so Blizzard could care less about further developing the RTS genre.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 16:12.

-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: *Shrugs* Jun 15, 2007, 13:15 grudgebearer

RogerWilco

Its almost the same gameplay as SC with better graphics. Not really interested. The genre has progressed so far with this type of gameplay, and yet, AFAIK, we will be playing the same gameplay model from 5 years ago. Not interested.

I agree. While I loved Starcraft and Broodwars, the RTS genre has improved with games like Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Black and White; to the point that a graphically revamped Starcraft with the same old gameplay just isn't really going to cut it for me.

I might get it when it is down to $10 or $20 bucks if it has a good single player storyline.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 13:16.

-Robert Heinlein

357 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo