Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 343 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > ET: QUAKE Wars Beta Tomorrow?
10. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 12:40 grudgebearer

Cutter

Why pay the price of a game for 1 buggy map? If I get in, cool. If not, I can wait. I don't know if I'll even be buying the retail version of this. I can see it just being a rampant cheat/hackfest. That's my overriding concern more thn anything else. Can they keep it cheat free?

No game is completely cheat free; why would you expect this game to be any different?

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Movie
26. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 23:45 grudgebearer

Xero

Oh, quiet you nerd. I'm sorry if I'm too hip for you to understand. Go outside and you'll learn some new lingo.

Hmm, nerd, is that a compliment? I spend plenty of time outside, I just avoid you scenester kids like the plague.

It's all about how everything is put together and polish really plays a big role in an RTS. I can't begin to compare the amount of interface control you get with Wc3 compared to let's say AoE3 or C&C 3 Tiberian Wars.

Warcraft 3 is by far the most unbalanced of all of Blizzard's RTS games, and there was no real change in the amount of interface control between starcraft and warcraft 3, and whether or not the control in other games is better or worse than warcraft 3 is a highly debatable topic.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

25. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 23:29 grudgebearer

AcidDrone

I'm just not entirely sure what innovations you guys expect in the RTS genre, most things have been done imo.

There is a difference between innovation, change, and revamping the graphics on game and trying to pass it off as a sequel; which is the impression that the available media portrays at the moment.

Granted none of us have played the game, but the videos just look like starcraft with better graphics. While warcraft 3 didn't break any new ground really in the RTS field other than adding heroes, it warcraft 3 doesn't just seem like a reskinned version of warcraft or warcraft 2.

-Robert Heinlein

19. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 20:42 grudgebearer

Xero

This game looks sick.

I'm not sure I can take a person seriously when the use the term "sick" in that manner. Maybe a greater understanding of of hip scenester lingo would allow me to look at this game as a game for "hardcore" RTS gamers?

-Robert Heinlein

12. Re: So bitterly disapointed Jun 15, 2007, 16:09 grudgebearer

eunichron

There really is no pleasing the Blue's News crowd. The sequel to the best competitive multiplayer RTS ever, and you guys already hate it without having seen more than 1/4 of the content.

So how many gameplay videos do we have to watch where we see the same gameplay as in Starcraft 1 before we can say the game is just like starcraft 1? I've watched four I believe now, and even the terrain looks like a 3D version of starcraft terrain. So after I watch 4 videos of focusing on the terrans and then 4 on the zerg will that suffice?

I'm not going to give this game a pass because it's blizzard, and I love many of the games they have created, but if you are going to produce a sequel to a game that is very similar in design and appearance to the previous game, then don't release a bunch of content that makes it look like a reskinned version of the old game with a few new units unless you want people to think that it looks like a reskinned version of the previous game.

It doesn't matter any way. This game will sell like mad in South Korea and the rest of Asia so Blizzard could care less about further developing the RTS genre.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 16:12.

-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: *Shrugs* Jun 15, 2007, 13:15 grudgebearer

RogerWilco

Its almost the same gameplay as SC with better graphics. Not really interested. The genre has progressed so far with this type of gameplay, and yet, AFAIK, we will be playing the same gameplay model from 5 years ago. Not interested.

I agree. While I loved Starcraft and Broodwars, the RTS genre has improved with games like Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Black and White; to the point that a graphically revamped Starcraft with the same old gameplay just isn't really going to cut it for me.

I might get it when it is down to $10 or $20 bucks if it has a good single player storyline.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 13:16.

-Robert Heinlein

4. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2007, 12:20 grudgebearer

DanL

Soul Hunter looks like an upgrade to the dragoon.

Nah, the Immortal is the new dragoon
http://www.starcraft2.com/features/protoss/

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Requital Announced
7. Conan Jun 12, 2007, 08:42 grudgebearer

Wow so some guys at Excalibur Publishing got drunk and watched Conan the Barbarian, then woke up with an "awesome" idea for an RPG.

Before you can repay the evil that was done to you and your parents, you must wear a mask of friendship to all those that you meet on your travels. The only way to get the information you need is by offering help to others. You will have to perform a variety of tasks, spend time building up your skills, weapons and armour, as well as training yourself by fighting lesser enemies.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that this statement could be any more vague or mundane when it comes to describing this game.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Morning Preview
1. Dur? May 24, 2007, 10:07 grudgebearer

As this is going on, Quake Wars appears to be taking on some elements of the Battlefield series by gaining ranks, skills, and specializing over time.

Wow, apparently Jeff Nash didn't start FPS gaming until 2000.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Gold - Galactic Command: Echo Squad
17. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 18:17 grudgebearer

Likewise so is the implicit sexism in using 'ladies' as an insult; if 'we' were a bunch of over-egotistic, testosterone overdosed people needing to prove our manliness to all and sundry, then maybe it'd be offensive, but otherwise it comes across as some sort of projection.

Looking like this probably makes him feel the need to try to exude "manliness" on internet messageboards as much as possible. Lord knows he looks incapable of doing it in person.

http://www.technopinoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/ds_left.jpg

-Robert Heinlein

16. Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 18:11 grudgebearer

Was your local crack dealer doing a three-for-one today? That must be if you think those shots are.....oh wait, I forgot, I'm supposed to be pissed and all that. Fact is, I'm not. And you're ugly

Wow Derek, hit a nerve or something? Did you work on all the textures yourself? Might want to update to using a a functional pixel shader, then maybe this wouldn't look like it is running on DirectX 7.0

-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 14:57 grudgebearer

Wow those graphics are pretty horrendous. I usually don't complain too much about graphics if the gameplay is good, but those are just kind of painful to look at.

I hope you put more time into designing the game mechanics and streamlining the UI than you did with the visuals.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 14:58.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Gold - Universal Combat: Collectors Edition
35. Only $2.21 Mar 13, 2007, 15:54 grudgebearer

If you guys want to get a copy of Universal Combat, you can get it at Amazon.com for a price that reflects the value of this game: $2.21.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000A345M/qid=1066415985/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-2490191-6604918?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Vista on the Horizon
11. Fook Vista Nov 30, 2006, 21:48 grudgebearer

I am not migrating to Vista period. When I started work at my company it was completely NT/2000/VMS for everything. I worked to move all of the servers to Redhat other than the two domain controllers.

Now my fellow staffers and I have created a migration plan to finally move the workstations to Linux also, and ditch M$ all together.

The licensing fees involved with deploying Vista in a company with right at 150 employees just isn't worth the cost.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > BF2142 Demo Issue
48. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 18:31 grudgebearer

You might understand him better if you took EA and DICE's cocks out from your ears. I think they might be cutting off the circulation to your brain.

Thanks man, I just ruined my keyboard with that one. There is beer all over my monitor too.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade Ships
8. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 18:24 grudgebearer

I didn't know that and I take my kudos back. For Shame relic, for SHAME!

How is that shameful? Should they just give all of the options to those who didn't buy the original game and WA expansion pack? What about the people that did shell out the money for the originals, should they just screw them over by giving away everything that they had previously charged for, for free?

I loved both and I am happy to support relic with my dollar because I think they are an excellent company who continually come out with top notch games.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Gold (Candidate) - Battlefield 2142
46. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2006, 20:01 grudgebearer

Dagok

I think you need to learn the meaning of the word "fundamentally".

BF2 and ET:QW are both team based FPS, control point objective based on large scale maps, with infantry and both air as well as land vehicles. These are the fundamentals.

Changing a couple RULES, because that is all you are refering to with the permanent cap points, doesn't make ET:QW and BF2 "very different games".

While everyone is getting all horny over ET:QW, I have yet to see a Doom 3 engine title play well enough in Multiplayer. I'll wait and see, and for the most part could care less about ET:QW or BF2142.

Apparently you need to look up the definition of "context". When taking talking about gameplay QW and the BFXX are very different. QW's gameplay is based on completing a series of objectives which bestow permanent control of an area and bring in additional benefits such as new vehicles and deployables, while the BF series is based on capturing and holding a series of flags for longer than your opponent. In QW these aren't just permanent cap points that you can go and stand around for 'xx' seconds to capture for your team.

Fundamentally they are completely different in terms of gameplay. Just because they are both team-based FPSs doesn't mean that they have the same features with the same style of gameplay.

Grudge

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 20:05.

-Robert Heinlein

45. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2006, 19:52 grudgebearer

The Half Elf

I agree Grudge, but at the same time ET:QW is being compaired directly to BF2 by the id and splash damage teams. Check out the Quakecon video of the 2 guys demo'ing the map.

My complaint with this is it seems that one team is always on the short end of the stick. I have played a bit of ET:RTCW, but in the end it's just not something I really enjoy in a BF2 type game. And after being part of a 64 map that had 2 clans doing a skrimmage match, it was really awesome to see the coordination for each side., unforently you rarely see that sorta teamwork on public servers.

And also I know these are just games, but at the same time, if the enemy gets their command center to a certain area and set up, why does it become invincible to damage?

I'm not saying do the flag capturing bit, but give the other team the ability to say blow up the command center then have to repush to get it back in place. That way there are objectives, but giving the tug of war affect.

Actually the command center does not become invincible, because that is where the Field Ops calls down the Hammer Missle from. It can be damaged and will need to be repaired. On that map in particular because of the spawn areas the Strogg have a pretty good chance of keeping the command center in jeopardy once it is setup.

As far as Pub-playing goes I think QW's ogjective gameplay has an edge over the BF series because of the fact that the battle is concentrated around an objective and not spread out over 5-6 flags so even the more noobish players will at least be running in the direction of the action (hopefully).

Grudge

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 19:52.

-Robert Heinlein

39. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2006, 16:10 grudgebearer

The Half Elf

I'm really hesitant about ET:QW. One of the things I do like about BF series is the capture and hold type gameplay. Where as in ET:QW once you capture a point you can only go forward. In the videos shown from the one map, why shouldn't the strogg be able to push the humans all the way back to their starting base?
I think it's a major part of combat that not only should you capture flags/points/areas but also have to protect them as well. Otherwise you get the kamikazi types that say 'well screw it if I die cause in 2 more second I'll get this spawn point and then I can respawn here and kill the guy who killed me' where as in BF series, you need to capture the point and deal with any baddies around cause if ya don't then all your time spent on capture the point/flag/whatever is wasted.

The BF series and ET series are two fundamentally different forms of gameplay. BF takes a spreadout approach to warfare by having capture points where the combatants have to choose where to focus their efforts in order to obtain maximum effect. The ET series is objective gameplay that attempts to force focus on a heated battle line at the objective(s).

These two gaming modes couldn't be any more different fundamentally because of this. The reason that in ET:QW that you can't push an opposing team back to their starting location is because ET:QW has introduced the concept of winnable territory into the game. Each map has multiple territories with varrying objectives. If the team completes its objective in that territory they gain the spawn rights for that territory and the benefits that go along with it, i.e. additional vehicle and deployable types. Vice versa as the opposing team is pushed backwards to being forced to spawn at the other section of their territory they gain additional resources to combat this new assault.

Bottom line, these are very different games that just happen to be in the same team-based FPS genre, their gameplay styles will not appeal to everyone while one may have better physics or bullistics than the other, trying to compare their gameplay styles is more a matter of preference than anything else.

That being said, I hate playin camp the flag, I haven't bought a BF game since 1942 and I am holdint out for ET:QW. I love objective gameplay.

Grudge

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 16:12.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > More In-Game Ads
30. Re: Anything for a buck Aug 31, 2006, 12:41 grudgebearer

MeatForce
LMAO! Yeah, and when one team caps a point, it forces the opposing side to sit and watch a fullscreen ad for the cappers' products.

Dude STFU, you are going to give them ideas! Remember EA knows no bounds when it comes to milking more money out of a product.

I haven't bought an EA game since Road Rash for Sega Genesis, and I am sure as hell not about to start with crap like this being put into games.

My money goes will be going to ET:QW.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 12:46.

-Robert Heinlein

343 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo