Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 352 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Naumachia: Space Warfare Q&A
1. Re: Naumachia: Space Warfare Q&A Oct 23, 2009, 19:25 grudgebearer

I like the looks of the game, and with the features that are shown on the main page:

Fighter Simulation: Customize fighters of various classes, engage in dogfights and lead AI wingmen.

Tactical Simulation: Command capital ships, give orders to the crew and launch fighter wings.

Fast Multiplayer Action: Up to 16 players.

Rank System: Get access to more advanced hardware and AI units.

Realistic Physics: But immediate controls.

...I'll give it a spin when it is realeased.

Only three guys working on the project as well....

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's "Last Game"
92. Re: 3000AD's Oct 16, 2009, 10:35 grudgebearer

To be honest Dr.Derek handles the personal insults rather well, but he saves the majority of his pent up vitriol for anyone who even thinks about questioning his design decisions in his games. Those gamers, reviewers, and grammas who even think about denigrating any aspect of his games are immediately called out as a "cretin", of lower class/caste, imbecilic, or he just tells them that they live in their mother's basement so they'll never be able to understand the concept of his game.

Just look at any review of any of the Battlecruiser, Universal Combat, Galactic Command, or All Aspect Warfare games and they all suffer from the same three major problems:

• Horrible control scheme that is so overly complicated and unintuitive that it degrades the gaming experience to the point of not being fun.

• Horrible user interface that actually hinders the player more than facilitates playing the game.

• Dated graphics that are so poor that when the game is released that they don't stand up to the graphics of games released 3-5 years earlier.

• *BTW, as much as I hate to admit it, I have first hand knowledge of how bad Battlecruiser and Universal Combat are when it comes to gameplay.

Derek's response to this has been to keep making games with these same problems, all the while lambasting anyone who points them out.

"I don't give a rat's ass about casual gamers"
    --Derek Smart

The problem with that statement is by Derek's standards everyone except the sycophants that hang out on the 3000AD forums and stroke his mighty ego are just casual gamers worth only the most denigration that Dr.Derek can take the time to heap upon them.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2009, 10:42.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
    -Robert Heinlein

73. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 22:25 grudgebearer

Insulting Derek personally and insulting his work are not one in the same. Dr.Derek has no problem criticizing other developers all the while churning out rehashed versions of the same buggy piles of over-designed code-shit year after year. Then resorting to denigrating the intelligences or comprehension skills of anyone who points out the failings in his own games.

-Robert Heinlein

53. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 17:51 grudgebearer

nin

I challenge any of you haters to go check out the screenies of All Aspect Warrior

These?
    http://www.3000ad.com/aaw/media/shots/09-08-12/pic008.PNG
    http://www.3000ad.com/aaw/media/shots/09-08-12/pic028.PNG
    http://www.3000ad.com/aaw/media/shots/09-04-17/pic026.PNG
    http://www.3000ad.com/aaw/media/shots/09-04-17/pic031.PNG

"Derek is a talentless ass clown who couldn't find his ass if his hands were crazy glued to his butt cheeks."

You know for all the realism that Derek likes to pretend is present in his games, everything is unrealistically clean, and laid out in geometric patterns. There's no dirt on the roads, no chips in the concrete, no soot on the engines; just endless bland or garishly colored polygons and textures in grid patterns as far as the eye can see.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 17:56.

-Robert Heinlein

50. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 17:38 grudgebearer

dsmart

Why in the hell is the video playing through Windows Media player?! Use Flash for crying out loud. That actually what Flash is good for. Gees. It takes no time to convert video to FLV then use Flash's built-in video player components.

Why do you care? Were you planning on camping at the site or are you one of those folks who takes ninety minutes to watch an episode of Sixty Minutes and so you need to keep going back until it all sinks in?

Fact is, wmv is what I wanted to use. Do you see me asking you to either trade your PC for a Mac or - at best - stop thinking that the world revolves around you when in fact nobody really gives a rats ass what some anon git on a forum thinks? No, that couldn't possibly be it because that would be too obvious.

Funny thing is there in fact two versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH77_0-sqXQ&feature=player_embedded

I chose not to use the Flash YouTube version.

Translation...Dr.Derek couldn't figure out how to convert the WMV file to Flash. So of course Flash is a piece of shit product that isn't worth his time, and we all know hardcore media enthusiasts all use WMV format. BTW Derek's website is not designed for the casual web surfer, you have to be a hardcore web surfer to really understand the concept of the website much less the content. Anyway, it doesn't matter because you are just a netnerdatard that lives in your mom's closet and trolls forums all day.

Does that about cover it Derek?

-Robert Heinlein

28. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 15:06 grudgebearer

NicklePop

I like Derek Smart, and I like his games.

They are complex and take some brainpower to learn and play.

This is sorely lacking in a world of COD4's etc.

Nickname NicklePop
    Signed On Oct 15, 2009, 18:44
    Total Posts 1 (Suspect)
    User ID 55262

Derek, is that you or one of the 4 people who live on the 3000AD forums?

The 'X' series has a complex (and sometimes cumbersome) control scheme. 3000AD games on the other hand are exercises in how user interfaces and gameplay control schemes should not be designed.

-Robert Heinlein

24. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 14:21 grudgebearer

dsmart
    Thats the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Even from you.

I take it you don't get out much...but let's have some fun...I'll take the bait...

This will be the studio’s final game.

One could argue that you have been remaking the same ones and over again your entire career...

For over twenty years we have remained on the bleeding edge of the niche space combat category

This is highly debatable. "Bleeding edge" Derek, seriously? How can you even have a 'bleeding edge' of a niche category?

spending years developing new technologies and a total of fourteen games in three (Battlecruiser, Universal Combat, Galactic Command) different IP

See above...

With a single focused game which we can improve, enhance and support over the years by way of new technologies, assets, gameplay elements etc we can focus on one gaming experience and make it the best that it can be over the years.

You made 14 iterations of 3 different IPs, so now you are going to ditch the idea of recreating your previous game and packaging it as a new game, and just have a single game that you try to improve over the long term? Aside from changing the names you've pretty much been doing this already.

Given the fickle nature of the average MMOG player (barring WoW which apparently will never die) why do you think that thousands, hundreds, or tens of gamers will stick with your ever-evolving MMOG any longer than they do with other MMOGs? Or do you just plan on your magnum opus being on the bleeding edge of niche MMOGs instead?

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 14:28.

-Robert Heinlein

18. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 13:40 grudgebearer

As always, going all the way back to Battlecruiser (*shivers*), Dr.Derek's games are brilliant in concept, horrible in execution.

There is no reason why we should believe that this is going to be any different given his track record.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 13:41.

-Robert Heinlein

11. Re: Galactic Command Online; 3000AD's Oct 15, 2009, 12:15 grudgebearer

Hasn't Derek Smart stated numerous times on these boards that his games have been immensely successful financially, making him thousands of dollars in profits over the years?

If 3000AD games have been/are cash cows, why quit making them?

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > StarCraft II in 2010?
    4. Re: StarCraft II in 2010? Jul 10, 2009, 10:25 grudgebearer

I've got a feeling that when SC2 finally comes out, it is going to feel even more dated than it looks in the pics and vids.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2009, 10:59.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > GC - Echo Squad SE & Universal Combat CE Patches
    6. Re: GC - Echo Squad SE & Universal Combat CE Patches Feb 18, 2009, 11:23 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou

Yeah, it's a classic. Absolutely fucking hilarious! I never get tired of seeing it.

I just read Lowtax's review of Universal Combat again...I really hope that the email at the end is actually from Derek...too funny.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > GC - Echo Squad SE & Universal Combat CE Patches
    3. Re: GC - Echo Squad SE & Universal Combat CE Patches Feb 18, 2009, 11:02 grudgebearer

Still one of the funniest videos on YouTube...

Love me some Desktop Commander

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2009, 11:04.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Free Fallout on GameTap & GameTap's Future
    29. GOG Sep 26, 2008, 00:02 grudgebearer

If anyone still has a beta invite send it my way, I've been chomping at the bit to get ahold of the Fallout series and play it on XP, along with several other games that they may have.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > New Arvoch Conflict
    1. ... Aug 2, 2008, 10:35 grudgebearer

Where's DerkSmart? We need his input on this game.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Star Trek Online Revelations
    90. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 11:43 grudgebearer

HellSlayer

By these standards, who are you to criticize him? At least he has some titles....

No, your logic is flawed. See I visit these forums as a consumer, Derk visits the forums as a "game developer." There is a big difference between me ragging on a game and Derk ragging on a game.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 11:45.

-Robert Heinlein

78. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 22:08 grudgebearer

SamuraiSaint
    Flame smart all you want but those last screenshots he showed of his upcoming galactic command game are cool.

Decent for 2002, maybe, cool by today's standards...only if you are high.

No its not crysis but it is obviously the inside of an entire capital ship. Who has ever done that before?

Who has ever needed to? How fun is a game that renders the 3rd bathroom on deck 3, but has gameplay mechanics that make "playing" it feel like hide-and-seek with command keys?

Mr. Smart is an easy target but he does deserve some credit. I ahve always found his games fun considering they are an indy space *simulation* on a large scale.

If he is going to sling mud he needs to clean up his own first. When you put out a game that looks as bad as his do, you have no room to criticize.

Anyone who slames his games has obviously

a. Never actually played one for any length of time
    b. Hates detailed simulation games
    c. Just likes to flame the guy no matter what.

I love a good detailed simulation when they are actually designed to be fun to play instead of designed with the goal being to have the most cumbersome and non-intuitive interface imagined.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 22:21.

-Robert Heinlein

65. Re: ... Jul 28, 2008, 18:31 grudgebearer

It is adblock and/or filterset G, I had the same thing happen last time Derk came on here grandstanding and posting links to his garbage.

Turn off adblock and refresh the page and you should see them.

-Robert Heinlein

63. Re: DSmart Jul 28, 2008, 18:29 grudgebearer

the_culture
    I think this is my favorite screen yet: http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gcES/08-02-20/PHOTO009.PNG

At first I thought my LCD monitor was melting from the inside... then I realized it was supposed to look like that.

After the accountants went home today I secretly replaced this photo as their desktop background and set the taskbar to autohide...It will be interesting to see what kind of reaction a DerkSmart screen shot illicits from the uninitiated.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 18:29.

-Robert Heinlein

37. Re: ... Jul 28, 2008, 14:39 grudgebearer

kxmode

Newsflash: Nobody cares except your hardcore fans. You're on the wrong forum.

He gets tired of talking to the same four people all the time; that's why he comes on here.

-Robert Heinlein

32. Re: StarTrek Online Jul 28, 2008, 14:25 grudgebearer

dsmart

Shut up, fool. Since you obviously don't have anything worthy of any response merit other than the usual fuckery.

Ok Derk, just for you...even though there is nothing spectacular about any of the STO screen shots, they are still bucket-loads better than any of the amateur drivel that you have in any of your games.

Case in point:
    http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gcKB/08-04-21/recreation_room03.jpg

http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gcES/08-05-22/PHOTO002.PNG

I'd post more, but there is no need, and longer I look at these the more my eyes and brain hurt.

-Robert Heinlein

352 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 13.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo