Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 352 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
23. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 18:35 grudgebearer

So what you're saying is that we are back to square one, with you not really understanding what a trilogy is in relation to video games, gotcha.  

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 18:14 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:52:
I'll repeat myself, since you chose to ignore the relevant point: "No shit the experience is different. The point that you don't want to recognize is that both LOTR and SCII use the trilogy structure in storytelling, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the trilogy structure."

So wait, now you are saying that Starcraft 2 and it's additional race-related comaigns aren't a really trilogy, it just uses trilogy structure in the storytelling?

Are you being obtuse? I never said that playing as more than one race was exclusive to multiplayer.

Way to bring up CoD as an example and then completely sidestep the issue. They didn't try to release each single player campaign as an expansion.

No it doesn't, because we're talking about SCII's expansions, not sequels. So it's pointless to debate with you that some of the games uses basically the same graphics engine and same turn based combat mechanics.

Seriously, have you been drinking? You are the one that initially brought up the FF series to try and support your "Starcraft 2 is actually a trilogy" idea.

Funny, cuz I hate every other franchise Blizzard produces. It's cute that you're trying to justify your own ignorance by making me out as a blizzard fanboi though.

You don't have to enjoy Diablo to be a Starcraft 2 fanboi.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

17. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 17:39 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:01:
Agreed, but that wasn't your point when you quoted what a trilogy was. Are you intentionally trying to ignore what you said?

If you agree that they aren't the same, then why did you use it as an analogy and then get all butthurt when I said it was a horrible one?

And so does Wings of Liberty. You'd know if you played the game.

Are you trying to be obtuse again? CoD had multiple single-player campaigns packaged in a single game, which is exactly the opposite of what Blizzard is doing with Starcraft 2.

I like how you skipped quite a few FF games.

Jesus, I just listed the FF games off the top of my head that I remembered the most about, but go ahead let's compare FF1-FF13, are you going to say that it is the same gaming experience over and over 13 times? No, ok, so it proves my point.

Also, did you forget what I said about SCII's expansion having distinctly different structure, gameplay, and storytelling mechanics? Keep in mind, we're talking about SCII's expansions, so the point is moot anyways

There's not even that much distinctly different between Starcraft 1 and Starcraft 2 as a whole, and you honestly believe the the storytelling mechanics of the Protoss and Zerg campaigns are going to be distinctly different from the mechanics of the Terran compaign?

Wrong again. They're not charging full price (where do you get all these retarded assumptions anyways?), and considering each expansion has the story and content of the full game, it's hardly "breaking a single game into thirds".

Ok, I'll give you that, given they haven't stated the pricing yet, Terran campaign was $60.00 retail at launch, what do you consider is an acceptable price for the other single player campaigns? Half, $29.99, so the full Starcraft 2 single player experience is worth $120.00?

A trilogy Starcraft 2 is not, you can call it that all day long to make yourself feel better about your beloved Blizzard, but that won't change that fact. I gotta hand it to you for spearheading the idea on these boards for Blizzard though, your brand loyalty is commendable in a weird way.

-Robert Heinlein

13. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 16:48 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 16:30:

So, by the definition that you gave me, from google, it's a trilogy. What's your point?

Movies and books /= video games, are intentionally trying to be obtuse?

Call of Duty? Final Fantasy? How much did movie making technology and special effects change between the LOTOR movies?

Again, horrible examples. CoD 1, 2, 3 all had multiple campaigns from differing perspective, American, British, Russian, etc.. If they had taken each campaign in a single CoD and tried to sell it individually, would you have considered it a trilogy and paid $60 for each campaign? But this is Blizzard, so it's different right?

Final Fantasy...did you ever even play 1,2, and 3? How about 7, 9, and 12? Are you really proposing that those are all the same exact game with no changes in game engine, mechanics or graphics, really?

Lord of the Rings, really, a movie, that is what you are going to go back to let met put this in caps in red for you since for some reason you have a tough time understanding CINEMATIC EXPERIENCES ARE NOT THE SAME AS VIDEO GAME EXPERIENCES AND SHOULD NOT BE JUDGED AS SUCH

No shit the other games are expansions. That's what they officially are. You think that Blizzard is trying to rip you off by releasing 2 expansions instead of one? Is that your problem? The story is in the form of a trilogy, so what's your point?

The point is that you can't break a single game into thirds, charge full price for each portion, and say "Voila! Trilogy!" That's just not how it works.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2011, 16:56.

-Robert Heinlein

11. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 16:21 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 16:03:
Wrong. Because, by your own definition: "A trilogy is three separate but complete works that are related. Hence, with star wars, you can watch each movie by itself and have a full movie experience."

It's not "my" definition of trilogy, it's the definition of a trilogy.

Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is a full experience. It is the story of how Jim Raynor seeks redemption for what happened to Sarah Kerrigan. This gets resolved, and just like in a New Hope, it ends with a decisive victory on the part of the rebels that ties up the storyarch introduced in this portion of the trilogy.

Can you you name any other gaming franchise of 2 or more games where gameplay, graphics, or some other technology didn't change? How about the Civilization series? Or Quake? Or even Diablo, that's a trilogy? Now, how about with this Starcraft 2 "trilogy", any changes in the engine, graphics, anything other than the additional single player campaign portion? No? Then at best it is an expansion on an existing game, not a trilogy.

But of course, you'd know this if you played fucking the game. And you ignored the fact that each expansion has its own distinct structure, gameplay and storytelling mechanics.

The more more ignorant you are, the more bullshit you spew.

Ahhhh profanity...the last bastion of the ignorant...

-Robert Heinlein

9. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 15:49 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:36:

Have you even played the campaign? Probably not, because guess what? there's a conclusion to the Raynor-Tychus-Kerrigan storyarch. And calling Starcraft 2 a "single experience" is just ignorance, considering each expansion will have its own distinct structure and between mission storytelling mechanic.

I'll grab it when all three parts are out and the full game is being sold for a reasonable price. I played the demo, I have no problem waiting.

And having an ending to the campaign suddenly makes it a trilogy? At best, you could call the other two parts expansions, but a trilogy it is not, no matter how far you try to stretch it.

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:36:
Finally, before you start calling other people "fanboi", you might want to cover up your 40K avatar. Your prejudice is showing.

ROFL, yeah, because me enjoying 40k fiction, along with being a fan of Linux, means that Blizzard splitting a single game into three releases isn't just a way to get people to pay more money for what amounts a a single gaming experience? Sound logic.

Keep digging dude maybe you will come out the other side...

-Robert Heinlein

7. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 15:31 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 15:22:

Wrong. Maybe you don't understand what a trilogy is.

A trilogy is three separate but complete works that are related. Hence, with star wars, you can watch each movie by itself and have a full movie experience.

Starcraft 2 on the otherhand, judging it against the precedence of the original and the common definition of a 'trilogy', is a single experience that has been broken into three parts.

Just because you split something into three portions, doesn't make it a trilogy there fanboi.

-Robert Heinlein

5. Re: StarCraft II Patched Mar 23, 2011, 15:09 grudgebearer

Yifes wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 09:04:
I bet you were the one guy in 1977 who was pissed that Star Wars was going to be 3 movies. A trilogy, what a dumb idea.

Wow...worst analogy ever...

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > The National in Portal 2
8. Re: The National in Portal 2 Mar 11, 2011, 20:34 grudgebearer

For Cutter...  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DCS- A-10C Warthog
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - DCS- A-10C Warthog Feb 21, 2011, 20:10 grudgebearer

I fire up that fan made video...and this is the first comment I read...ROFL

ero91
@FrostDmitry yeah of course your mig-35 could kill an a-10. thats because a-10 is not a fighter it's a ground attack plane. Its designed for air to ground missions. The mig-35 is a fighter. The two are completely different planes.

You want to talk air to air? Try fucking with the AMERICAN F-22 Raptor. it will eat your pussy ass mig-35 and shit it out while our A-10 teabags the fuck out of your ground forces

have a nice day

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Salem Perma-Death Explained
15. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 14:08 grudgebearer

The Advocate wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 13:47:
Because the Salem witch-trials actually happened?

The internet, how does that work?

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Line of Defense Announced
22. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 2, 2011, 10:04 grudgebearer

dsmart wrote:

I meant it when I said it. And only returned because steps were taken to curb the antics of the anti-social misfits who troll the forums looking for a mark.

Maybe you should look at your life and try to recall the numbers of times you've said that you wouldn't do something, then go right ahead and do it anyway. And vice versa.

It always so nice to point the finger isn't it? Must be nice.

jfc...that was quick...I likened your statement about not posting here anymore to ragequitting in a game...which all of us have done at some point. I even put smilies in it for effect...you apparently missed the point that I was making...

-Robert Heinlein

20. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 2, 2011, 09:31 grudgebearer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 22:20:
I am far to lazy to go an find it - but I could of swore you said you would never post here again....I am disappointed.

I blame Advocate....

Yeah...I was in that thread

Oct 16, 2009, 13:27 dsmart
"...Today marks the very last day that I post here. Life's too short and I simply can't be bothered anymore..."

People say all kinds of things when they are mad...sometimes they even ragequit gaming forums

-Robert Heinlein

10. Re: Line of Defense Announced Feb 1, 2011, 16:54 grudgebearer

So...this is a separate game from Galactic Command Online, correct?

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Derek Smart Interview
21. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 09:28 grudgebearer

I guess he's given up on his magnum opus? Sad really, because we all wanted to see another release of the same game he has been creating for 20 years now.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Siege Online Launches
1. Re: Siege Online Launches Aug 29, 2010, 18:31 grudgebearer

Graphics are more enticing than AoE Online. It will be interesting to see what the gameplay is like.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Valve Not Working on Linux Steam
44. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 15:41 grudgebearer

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 14:06:
Those days were over awhile ago actually. You don't "need" a Windows partition for games these days but it sure does help if you want a better experience with the majority of the library.

Intentionally obtuse, or just trying to troll? That's the point...if you don't keep a Windows partition, then you are stuck playing games native to your non-Windows OS or that run in Wine, or running in a virtualized environment where your choices of games are still limited at this point.

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 14:06:
Overly broad. I don't really care if full speed virtualization of the majority of gaming software is five or ten years away and I doubt most others are that forward looking either.

Five or Ten years...I take it you don't keep up on the state of virtualization technology...

-Robert Heinlein

41. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 13:46 grudgebearer

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 07:20:
Very little is playable at all right now, certainly not the level of what he implied. Tricky wording.

How was my wording tricky? Did I say "VirtualBox plays tons of games at top speed and it super roxors"? No, I said that with VirtualBox now supporting DirectX, that the days of having to keep a windows partition for gaming are numbered, which they are.

Virtualization has changed the game in the business world, and applying it in the consumer world is only a matter of time.

-Robert Heinlein

34. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 17:20 grudgebearer

With VirtualBox now supporting DirectX, the days of having to keep a Windows box/partition for gaming are numbered...

-Robert Heinlein

14. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 23, 2010, 16:32 grudgebearer

Ecthelion wrote on Aug 23, 2010, 15:59:
In his defense, OpenOffice presents itself (and is always touted that way in online articles on open-source software) as being a fully-compatible Microsoft Office alternative. But sometimes MS Office documents don't work properly in OpenOffice (I experienced it myself a year or so ago when I tried OpenOffice). Whether it's Microsoft's fault or not, OpenOffice isn't doing what it claims.

As soon as Microsoft gets around to fully supporting the ISO standard of Open Document Formatting...Here's what does and doesn't work in Microsoft's "implementation" of ODF

-Robert Heinlein

352 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo