Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 400 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > PUBG Versus Cheating
5. Re: PUBG Versus Cheating Jul 15, 2019, 12:00 grudgebearer

Did they ever region lock Asia from the North American servers? Cause if they didn't, it's still going to be trash.  

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway
15. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 16:25 grudgebearer

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 13:06:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:30:
It seemed like the weakest deals of any Steam Summer Sales I can recall.

I didn't know it was ending today... I knew I have Kingdom Come on the list for $18. When I went into the cart noticed I got $5 off because of their race thing where I picked Hare last week, who knows why. But it was good for $5 and then for $13.... made the last minute deal. Picked up PoeT2 and Kingmaker. Those three games should be played sometime in 2020 or 2021 and be good for a couple months of game time.

I almost snagged Kingdom Come myself, but then I saw that it's the early unlock for the August Humble Bundle Monthly.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
148. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 12:25 grudgebearer

Drayth wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 10:51:
Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 09:09:
Epic doesn't get the kid glove treatment just because they're a new player in the industry. Seems pretty rational to me. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed over what others do their money either.

Seriously. GoG does pretty much everything right, and how much discussion on them occurs on average? You don't see anyone feeling the need to grab a sword and shout from the castle walls every time they have a sale, or when something doesn't get released on their store. Point being, if evryone's more or less content with a service there's not a whole lot to discuss other than the occasional praise over a sweet deal, or legitimately interesting news.

But when Epic news causes a genuine stir there's a VERY vocal few who feel like they need to explain to you how your thinking is wrong and their crystal ball has told them that Epic checks out. They totally will stop starving the market if their competitor will just give in to their demands, that they themselves totally will be living by as well forever. And yeah they may have gotten rich off someone else's idea, fumble how to handle a seasonal sale, and are known to have a stressful workplace for the sake of constantly pumping out new content, but their tactics are totally altruistic, meant for the betterment of all gamers, swearzys. Throw all your money their way so they can keep starving the market.

It's not like a company that can literally throw tons of money to anyone willing to sign an exclusivity deal with them would also have the money to hire some of the best marketing people who could come up with tweets like this one. This is from the heart.

Oh and if their tactics of buying out all these indy games happens to kill off GoG, meh... at least we're sticking it to the evil Steam store, with it's dumb feature rich store front and earned market share.

When's the last time CD Projekt Red went out and sniped a game on steam a week before release to make it GoG exclusive, undercut a couple of Kickstarter projects that were to be released on Steam and made them exclusives, and then had Piotr Karwowski jump on Twitter to tell consumers that they are limiting their choice of retailers for their own good and the good of developers?

Sweeney brings this on himself.

-Robert Heinlein

145. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 10:14 grudgebearer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 08:41:
Um, I know that and that's pretty much exactly what I said. The "recoup" part obviously happens a lot SOONER if the publisher gets a HIGHER cut, i.e. if LESS money goes to the middle man.
So, the SOONER the publisher breaks even, the sooner the dev sees royalty money so, yeah, the developer benefits from EGS' lower cut even in a classic dev/publisher relationship.

I never talked about "renegotiating" deals so it'd be great to not put words in my mouth. I talked about negotiating deals, i.e. when a developer finds a publisher and they negotiate a deal.

If the EGS split (either due to EGS' rising popularity or other stores matching EGS) becomes more common it gives devs an OPPORTUNITY (my exact words) to maybe use that as leverage in negotiations. There are no guarantees in life for nothing except death.

The EGS is creating opportunities for developers, e.g. the opportunity to get royalties faster because the publisher will lose less money to the middle man or an opportunity to negotiate better contracts.

The first part is "guaranteed" by the way. Less money lost to middle man = faster recoup for publisher = royalties get paid to dev sooner is all but guaranteed if the publisher plays honest.

There's literally zero data to backup the assertion that publishers are currently or will in the future, give developers better royalty splits due to the 88/12 EGS split and exclusivity. Zero.

There's also zero evidence so far that taking a year long EGS exclusivity deal will cause a game to sell quicker, and get royalties in the hands of the developers quicker. Zero.

You can and Sweeney both can speculate that it should/will happen, but but for any game that's currently an EGS exclusive, those publisher agreements were signed long ago, and those devs are already locked into publisher agreements, and will most likely take longer to see royalties since the game is only being sold on EGS, and by the time it hits other outlets, will be marked down considerably.

Publishers write those agreements in their favor, that's why they make insane amounts of profits, and studios end up shutting down when games don't "sell as well as expected". They have zero business incentive to give developers a better royalty agreement due to EGS exclusivity payments.

-Robert Heinlein

142. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 08:59 grudgebearer

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 04:00:

Threads like these and comments like yours are providing me with endless entertainment. Laugh2

Is it because you consider yourself an unwilling participant in the free market?

-Robert Heinlein

120. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 01:24 grudgebearer

Sepharo wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 00:36:
grudgebearer wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 00:30:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:47:
Re royalties: Due to the common royalties against advance model, the dev would definitely always benefit from maximized publisher profits because the sooner the publisher breaks even, the sooner the royalties begin to flow.

You don't seem to have a very good understanding of the imbalance of the publisher/developer relationship in the gaming industry.

Most devs are paid up font on royalties in a prepay structure from the publisher, and quite often royalty payments from the actual game sales are nonexistent until the publisher recoups all of their advance on royalties to the developer.

Isn't that what he said?

He's insinuating that royalties after the advance are actually being paid out out on a regular basis, and that the developer is actually in a position to renegotiate a publishing deal that they've agreed to, and taken several million dollars in royalty advancement.

If you are a developer, and take let's say $20 million in royalty advancement on a game, the publisher is going to have to receive at least $20 million and $1 dollars before any additional royalties outside of the original advancement are paid out.

The bad part is royalties are not computed from the retail sale price but on net income, allowing the publisher to recoup all costs before any royalty is computed.

So, for an EGS exlusive game published by Iceberg with a 20% dev royalty sold at $60.00, Epic is going to take 12%, down to $52.8/sale right off the bat. If the publisher advanced you $20 million, spent $50 million on marketing and localization or whatever else they've put into the contract as an expenditure for the game, then the dev will not see that 20% royalty on sales until the game has sold over 1.3 million copies (at the original retail price). It's even worse if there's a retail store or physical goods involved

It only gets more difficult for the developer to see a piece of sales once the price starts dropping on the game. For many games, developers never see royalties other than the original advance, which is why you see developers make a really good game that sells well, and still go out of business. If by chance your game sells so well that you eventually do see royalties when it's selling regularly for $19.99 on Steam, then the dev is going to get a whopping $4.00/sale, and the publisher will still be pocketing 80%.

-Robert Heinlein

117. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 00:30 grudgebearer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:47:

If you are very short-sighted then you might arrive at such a simple conclusion, yes.

First, the self-publishing devs obviously get the full 88% or even 93% if their game uses the Unreal engine. More income for a self-publishing dev could definitely result in growth, thus in higher quality games and/or allow a dev to maintain their independent status instead of being forced to seek external funding.

The dev could also be a selfish asshole and buy a yacht but that's hardly in Epic's hands to decide. All that Epic can do and *are* doing is create the opportunity for devs to earn more which equals the opportunity for a developer to invest in their future because that is what profits are for in classic 101 economics: Profits -> investment -> growth -> more profit -> more investments -> more growth and so on.

Secondly, in a classic dev/publisher relationship the publisher could increase the budget for games due to a higher income. The publisher could also fund the development of more games in parallel which would help them diversify their risks which is always good, both for the publisher as well as all developers depending on a certain publisher's funding.

Similarly, the developer could negotiate a better deal if they know that the publisher is getting to keep a higher cut. It gives the devs more leverage in negotiations. They could even demand that the publisher at least co-publishes the game on EGS in addition to other storefronts in order to maximize profits which would result in receiving royalties sooner.
Re royalties: Due to the common royalties against advance model, the dev would definitely always benefit from maximized publisher profits because the sooner the publisher breaks even, the sooner the royalties begin to flow.

You don't seem to have a very good understanding of the imbalance of the publisher/developer relationship in the gaming industry.

Most devs are paid up font on royalties in a prepay structure from the publisher, and quite often royalty payments from the actual game sales are nonexistent until the publisher recoups all of their advance on royalties to the developer.

The EGS 88/12 split, unless a dev is acting as their own publisher is not guaranteed to aid the developers in any way. Not even Sweeney has been so stupid as to claim that publishers through their benevolent altruism have restructured their agreements with developers to give them more money because the publisher has a better revenue split on the Epic store. The publisher has literally zero incentive to renegotiate an already in place contract with the developer, it's actual terrible business to do so.

You might want that to be the case, but it's not reality.

-Robert Heinlein

110. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 23:16 grudgebearer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:43:

The 88% goes to whoever is officially the "publisher" on the storefront, i.e. the EGS' registered sales partner.

Which would render moot the whargarble argument that EGS exclusivity and the 88/12 split is better for consumers because devs will get more money and will make more and better games with the additional funds. Except in the case where the developer is also the publisher.

-Robert Heinlein

82. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 21:41 grudgebearer

MyRealName wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 21:22:
Glad to see a few rational voices have stepped forward to balance this ongoing spectacle with a bit of sanity. I'll only add that anyone (and there have been several) who boldly states "I don't care what the dev gets!" or similar is, with respect, rather shortsighted and selfish. It's not about compassion, but you do at least love games, don't you? That is why you're here, right? Rethink your asserted stance on a developer's cut and I'm sure the problem will become clear--even for you.

Where has Sweeney or anyone at Epic confirmed that the savings from the 88/12 split were going directly to the developer rather than the publisher (excluding indie devs of course)?

-Robert Heinlein

76. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 20:41 grudgebearer

Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:35:

There's no benefit, there's also no loss to the consumer. You're buying the same game you'd otherwise buy just from a different store.

You saying you care more about the store than the game?

Pretty fucked up. You know, because you're also saying you care more about Walmart making more money than the studio that made the game. Which is doubly fucked up.

If you don't give a shit about the people who make the games you love, then you're a turd.

If you insist on only buying from Walmart, then you're a mafia wife to the biggest monopoly in PC gaming.

Lots of strawman in that argument, but thanks for clarifying that EGS exclusives have zero benefit for consumers.

Whether it is a loss or not is debatable. Depends on how much you want to keep your library centralized, enjoy reading reviews or forums before you purchase a game and such.

-Robert Heinlein

68. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 18:23 grudgebearer

Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:10:
Think of how many games we've all played that have run on the Unreal Engine. Epic has contributed to the ecosystem. That and their engine licencing deals are quite generous to studios, I think it's like 5% only after you've made X amount of profit, and nothing before that. Pretty good to developers.

And then they undercut the ludicrous store tax so that studios can hope to make more money from THEIR FUCKING PRODUCT than the goddamn payment processor does.

There's an easy rubric to remember:

A) Epic has been directly responsible for thousands of games actually being made by indy to AAA studios.

B) Steam has middleman profited from the hard work of thousands of games by indy to AAA studios.

Now tell me which you're mad at again sheep?

BTW, I should have an RSS feed notification for whenever a member in this forum starts getting called a shill, as it probably means they actually have something intelligent to say in light of the ignorant reception this board usually provides.

What does any of that tirade have to do with consumers benefiting from EGS exclusivity?

-Robert Heinlein

61. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 17:44 grudgebearer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 17:40:
Quoting facts won't make you any friends around these here parts.

Does Epic even pay you for out-of-context posts, or do they at least expect you to put effort into you shilling?

-Robert Heinlein

58. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 17:33 grudgebearer

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 17:17:
[
We've already seen one Steam change: increased revenue sharing by sales numbers. That change doesn't happen without EGS. As EGS improves and gains market share, we'll see further changes. The exclusive thing won't last forever, but will get EGS strong enough so they can compete.

So as a consumer, how are you benefiting from this?

-Robert Heinlein

55. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 17:11 grudgebearer

Beamer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 16:58:

"Full game" is kind of a weasely term. How many games actually needed the DLC, or in most cases, were even improved by it? Fallout 3, I'd say. Can't think of another.

DLC is almost always coming from a second budget. The game released is the full game, the DLC is budgeted separately and often done by different teams. It's outside the scope, and even in the 90s would not have been included.

Ignoring full expansions, because we've always had those, what else actually completed a game, instead of adding either more of the same or, in some cases, lesser versions of content already in the game (looking at you, pirate-and-jungle themed expansions for Borderlands 2.) Most of this stuff is also completed months after launch.

Day 1 DLC, is not budgeted differently, it's cut content. Ubisoft even admitted to doing so back in 2016.

As I stated, you can play the base game, and that's what you are paying for at $60.00, but that's not the full gaming experience, if you want the full gaming experience, prepare to purchase the season pass and/or DLC(s).

That's not the way $60.00 games worked in 1999. $60 got you the full game, and you had the option to extend some games with expansion packs, that were not cut content, and actually were budgeted as separate products, instead of content carved out during production, to be specifically sold as DLC.

-Robert Heinlein

45. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 16:44 grudgebearer

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 16:28:
Today a AAA game is $60. In 1999, it was $50. However, $50 in 1999 is the same as $75 today. So AAA games are in fact cheaper than they were 20 years ago, and get relatively cheaper every year.

How many AAA games that come out now are really $60.00 for the full game? How many of them don't immediately have season passes and/or day 1 DLCs available?

In 2019, for $60.00, you get the base game when it comes to AAA games, and that's it. You can play just the base game, but let's not pretend that you are getting the full experience for $60 and that content hasn't been carved out as DLC that's going to cost you an extra $20-$50.

Tack on some loot boxes or an in-game storefront, and get yourself some "recurrent user spending" which didn't exist in 1999, and you have a completely different gaming sales paradigm.

-Robert Heinlein

36. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 15:45 grudgebearer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:11:
Competition is good for the industry including consumers like us.

What demonstrable benefits are consumers receiving from EGS exclusivity?

-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 13:02 grudgebearer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 12:21:
I don't mind the color of the store where I buy my games.

Surprised that Blue hasn't added an Epic Employee" tag to your account yet.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Phoenix Point in September
5. Re: Phoenix Point in September Jun 11, 2019, 16:59 grudgebearer

If it's any good I'll pick it up on Steam when they run it at a 66% discount, and they can make a whopping 22% of the list price on my purchase instead of me purchasing it at the 10-15% discount mark.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Announced
49. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 10, 2019, 16:29 grudgebearer

Quinn wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 17:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 16:32:
Cram wrote on Jun 9, 2019, 16:08:
Quinn wrote on Jun 8, 2019, 15:43:
Is it really Baldur's Gate in the teaser? It would make sense, naturally, but it screamed Luskan to me. Isn't it the mage/lich-tower in the distance, iconic to Luskan?

Edit: No matter, it's definitely Baldur's Gate. XD

I'd like to know what those figures in the sky were, seen during the lightning, once the Mind Flayer starts floating. The very last lightning strike shows a massive figure in the sky along with all the smaller ones.

It's how Mindflayers travel through the planes, a living plane-traveling tentacle monster they "capture" and mind-control to serve them

I'm curious how they'll make this plot work. Illithids are so OP, so unless you're a band of Jarlaxles I don't see how the protagonist will survive one minute in a believable fashion.

Just got to make those will saves and/or get close enough for physical attacks.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Announced
40. Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced Jun 7, 2019, 15:08 grudgebearer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 14:45:
grudgebearer wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 14:14:
Darks wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 10:16:
Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 07:58:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 22:32:
I like RTWP, especially for BG type games, simply because Turn Based starts to become a drag if you have a LOT of fights. That said, Larian is so good with their D:OS turn based engine I'd be surprised if this game wasn't also turn based.

Also I saw this announcement before it was on Bluesnews, but it only mentioned Google Stadia. Thank all the D&D Gods it'll be on Gog too.

Also part two, apparently I'm way out of date on D&D lore... Illithids can just infect/inhabit/take over another humanoid like that? Since when? Just curious, I'll roll with it regardless.

Yeah I'm kinda with you on that. I'm replaying Pillars of Eternity 2 and its still a fun game with the new turn based mode but it limits a lot of usable mechanics like weapon speed and bleeds. It also makes trash fights obnoxious and drag on forever.

RTWP has its flaws but it moves at a solid pace and opens up a lot more depth in the combat.

Either way I'm going to get it so whatever haha.

RTWP works really well especially in Coop games where you have multiple people controlling their own characters.

And honestly, I'm burned out on Turned based games. Sins 2 was fun playing Coop, but it like you all said got boring and slowed the game down to much. Still we had a lot of fun.

It doesn't work in systems with concepts like initiative, rounds, or facing. At least none of the implementations of it have worked out well. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a good example of a modern implementation of d20 rules using RTwP, and like its predecessors, it's broken in the same areas.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker soured me on the concept of RTwP entirely. I now actually also start to hate Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 (before the TB update) because you have so little control in battles and things happen so quickly that it completely destroys any tactics. Just do any ship boarding fight in PoE2 for an idea what I mean, 30% of your people will be dead before you even get to click anywhere.

That was pretty much my experience as well. RTwP nullifies charge mechanics, threat range, and a lot of AoE magic. It might work if used with an IP that wasn't turn-based to begin with, just doesn't with d20. Return to Temple of Elemental Evil, for all of its flaws, still ran circles around the infinity engine games when it came to combat.

-Robert Heinlein

400 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo