Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 299 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
111. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 24, 2016, 20:02 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:32:
Delivering (in the processing of giving) is different to delivered (has already given). I shouldn't have to teach you basic English just to have a discussion about this. What we've seen and got to play is in excess of what was originally promised. Only if CIG goes bankrupt and is unable to complete the development is there an issue but funding is at record levels. The original pitch was for five ships (Aurora, Hornet, 300i, Freelancer and Constellation) - all of those are flyable, along with the Mustang, M50, Gladius, Cutlass, Avenger, Gladiator, Starfarer, Retaliator, Scythe, Glaive, P-52 Merlin, Khartu Al, Vanguard, Reliant, Sabre and Argo, with the Caterpillar, Herald and 85X due in the next patch in the next few weeks.

Not only that but the fidelity is dramatically beyond what was originally promised. And in the next patch we get Star Marine, which is the first-person combat element of the game - that's something that was originally a stretch goal. Is the game taking longer than was originally estimated? Absolutely, but the reason is the increased funding and scope of the game. As an original backer I support what CIG is doing.

Go back and look at the original pledge - it looks awful in comparison to what we're able to play now and what's coming up soon.

It's a crowdfunded game. The way it works is that people pay money AHEAD of time and fund development of the game. If you fail to grasp the fundamental business model then there's really nothing to discuss.

You still haven't answered my question, is there a playable Alpha, of the PSU or Squardron 42 yet?

How do I not grasp the business model? If there was a playable Alpha, one could argue that the incoming funds are because of the Alpha gameplay, and might infer that CIG is making correct decisions as far as software development is concerned. However, as it stands, there is no Alpha of the PSU or Squadron 42, so CIG is still just selling hope.

Arena Commander, Hanger Module, Social Module, none of that is even close to an Alpha of what was promised in the Kickstarter or afterwards.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

101. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 21, 2016, 12:23 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 12:02:
grudgebearer wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 10:04:
In the end this will be more of a 'bait and switch' scheme. They are selling everyone on product A, but what will be released will actually be product B. It will fulfill all of the requirements for delivering a product for the Kickstarter rules, but won't be anything close to what was promised.
CIG is delivering far in excess of what was promised in the original Kickstarter. Further, the vast majority of backers came in after the Kickstarter. It's fair enough to criticise the delays but when the end result is going to be substantially better most people are fine with that - in fact CIG continues to attract large numbers of new backers and additional funds.

We get it, Star Citizen isn't for you. But clearly it is for a lot of other people and given that they continue to contribute more money into the project CIG must be doing something right.

So there's a playable alpha of the PSU and Squadron 42 already? Or are you considering the hanger module, Arena Commander, and social module on par with an actual alpha ?

The fact that CIG is selling people on hope, does not mean he's doing something "right" in terms of software development, just that he's doing something right in terms of fundraising.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

98. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 21, 2016, 10:05 grudgebearer

Quietus wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 00:28:
Most AAA games have established game franchises that already have all the game mechanics worked out and the company infrastructures setup from previous titles.
It takes time to establish a company, build the infrastructure and acquire the right talent.

Star Citizen is only in the start of it's fifth year of open development for a AAA title. Most AAA titles take from 5-6 years or more to develop in a closed environment.
While the game is an open development alpha and not feature complete, it is playable. I'm very realistic in that the current live build 2.5 is a very unstable build. Give it the time that a AAA title takes to mature.

It's the most ambitious game title to date with tech that needs to be built to achieve, not a title that a game publisher pushes out before it's ready like No Man's Sky.

I think the issue is that this is the start of year 5, and the 2.5 build, is not anywhere close to the actual game. It's not even in the realm of a real Alpha at this point still.

- Harlon Nayl

97. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 21, 2016, 10:04 grudgebearer

Kosumo wrote on Nov 20, 2016, 22:02:
Edit, sorry, my bad, this is more a Ponzi scheme not so much a pyramid scheme.

In the end this will be more of a 'bait and switch' scheme. They are selling everyone on product A, but what will be released will actually be product B. It will fulfill all of the requirements for delivering a product for the Kickstarter rules, but won't be anything close to what was promised.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Civilization VI Preloads and Launch Trailer
2. Re: Civilization VI Preloads and Launch Trailer Oct 17, 2016, 22:41 grudgebearer

Same for me. Got burned on Beyond Earth, won't be buying until I see what the core game looks like, and what the DLC scheme is going to be.  

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
166. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 22:41 grudgebearer

NasWulf wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:51:
grudgebearer wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:05:
.... I'm sorry, but even in buggy state of WoW's alpha, it was far more than what CIG has released so far.

By this statement I don't think you were in the WoW Alpha, at lease not in the first year. I could be wrong, but the early days of the WoW Alpha was mostly testing the systems. Zones were mostly barren with no content, cities hubs were barren, the map was just a giant camera pull out over head view of the entire zones (there was no paper maps), it was very unpolished and not alot to do but run around and test systems as they patched them in. Yes over time the Alpha turned into what you might have seen as it grew into the Beta, but in no way was the early days of the WoW Alpha more feature complete, like all alphas.

I understand the mentality now a days that a Alpha is the "beta" and the Beta is the "demo" but it was not like that back then.

Which is still more content and progress in an alpha state than Star Citizen currently has after 4-5 years of development. None of the myriad of interconnected systems, from science, to trading, ground combat, to questing, to commerce exist in an interactive state, there isn't even a basic framework that's been shown to exist for all of these features to function in a persistent mmo experience that supports hundreds of players. Hangar module, Arena commander, social module, none of those show functionality on any scale that is anything close to what will be necessary for Star Citizen to meet the proposed goals.

Even the most optimistic person with any knowledge of even small software development projects can see that even an alpha of Star Citizen is several years away at best given the level of progress that has been revealed. That is unless they redefine what "alpha" means in terms of software development. This "alpha 3.0" mock up demo that they release, is nowhere near what a true alpha of Star Citizen will need to be before they can successfully move on to an actual beta, there are just too many promised features that only exist as partially thought out concepts.

- Harlon Nayl

161. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 21:05 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 20:46:
The hangar was the initial module, followed by Arena Commander (which introduced flight, combat and racing), the Social Module (introducing the first planetside location and social hub) and the Persistent Universe (which introduced multi-crew ships, local physics grids, 64-bit precision, missions, repair, FPS combat, currency, shopping and refuelling mechanics, etc). Star Marine is due out imminently, which will hone the FPS mechanics. Alpha 3.0 is due out later this year / early next year, which will introduce procedural planets, cargo mechanics, trading, etc.

But none of that is a beta, or even an alpha of Star Citizen or Squadron 42. It's a collection of individual systems, that are not connected in any way to one another. I'm sorry, but even in buggy state of WoW's alpha, it was far more than what CIG has released so far. Given the time that has been spent so far on development, there's no way that they get to any sort of actual alpha of either game that is even close to including all of the features that were promised in either, before 2018.

- Harlon Nayl

157. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 18:43 grudgebearer

NasWulf wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 17:09:

The 2003 WoW Alpha was closed and the 2004 Beta was open, WoW was announced as in development in 2001, so it took 2 years to have an internal Alpha and 3 years to have a closed Beta, with a 4.5 development period.

How is anything that has been released by CIG so far, anywhere close to the WoW alpha, much less the beta?

You have a hangar where you can look at the polygons you've spent money on, and a box in space where you can fly a limited number of ships around and shoot things. Other than an exercise in flight mechanics, what has actually been released to the backers that shows the project is actually on track to completing the proposed project plan?

- Harlon Nayl

127. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 15:42 grudgebearer

As long as the money is rolling Roberts will just keep chugging along making new ships to sell, and putting together snazzy demos of small chunks of his grand idea. People who have put tons of $$$ into this game will "ooh" and "aaahh" at the "amazing tech" on display, while dates are pushed back again, another rewrite of "X" system is started so that in the end this amazing product can finally be published.

Rinse and repeat. The real trouble will begin if the money stops.

- Harlon Nayl

48. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 15:40 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 15:10:
Rilcon wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 14:58:
If this thing ever comes out, is just half of what's been promised over the years, and isn't a bug-ridden, janky disaster, sure, I can see myself putting down $50 or the like for it.

As it is, it's just a lot of really fancy tech demos and PR. I can see why people buy into the hype, though, which is why I'm staying well away from any "early demos" or long-presentations or whatever.
The great thing is that CIG has regular free-fly weeks that allow people to test out the game in its entirety. If people like what they play they can back it, whilst others can wait or pass on it.

As an original backer from 2012 I want them to do it right. Once the game has been released it can't be taken back and the review scores will stick, along with first impressions. Obviously the delays are disappointing but they're far from unexpected. CIG has only just been showing off vision stabilisation and hasn't even shown us Star Marine yet, so the core systems just aren't in place yet.

If CIG can't show us the Squadron 42 presentation or release 3.0 this year then I'll be disappointed. If they can't get out 2.6 this year then I'll be concerned.

Cognitive dissonance is a way of life for people who have sunk a lot of money into this scheme...

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve
39. Re: Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve Sep 18, 2016, 02:57 grudgebearer

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2016, 02:48:

Shouldn't you be able to tell within the first 30 minutes or so that a game is awful, and refund it? How can this revenue model work under the new refund regime?

Maybe this was their plan all along. Create a ton of shitty games, get a ton of shitty reviews, then threaten lawsuits against everyone in the hopes that some of them will settle and pay them a few grand to not get sued.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve
36. Re: Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve Sep 18, 2016, 01:29 grudgebearer

They have a response up on their terrible website

Looks like they are also looking for legal representation.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
7. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer Sep 9, 2016, 08:32 grudgebearer

With all of the delays we have seen so far, I'm not getting my hopes up even for a late Q1 2017 release  

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Mordheim: City of the Damned Launch Trailer
8. Re: Mordheim: City of the Damned Launch Trailer Nov 19, 2015, 17:58 grudgebearer

Quinn wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 15:22:
grudgebearer wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 12:01:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 10:49:
This is basically a Warhammer Xcom game, with base building and all. Instead of clicking on where you want your guy to go and then watching him go, you actually move your guys around in third person until you have no more "movement" points. I like it, but it would work better with a first person view.

There's no base-building in the traditional sense. You have a warcamp that you manage your troops at, but it's out of the actual game.

I've had this game for awhile in early access, don't get this game unless you are ok with no saves, and brutal random deployments during ambushes that will cause your entire party to wipe.

The devs are catering to the "hardcore" crowd, and frequently cite Dark Souls for some of Mordheim's more punishing game systems.

That no-saves thing is too hardcore for my liking. Thanks for that info. It lifted my finger from the buy button.

Yeah...I've put about 20 hours into it, but to be honest, I can't say that it's that much fun.

They are trying to capture the tabletop feel, but no saves, and random deployment during ambushes can make it supremely frustating.

Couple that with literally, the worst inventory system I've ever encountered, suicidal AI that makes completing side objectives or collecting wyrdstone almost impossible, and the game becomes more tedious than fun after a few missions.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Mordheim: City of the Damned Launch Trailer
3. Re: Mordheim: City of the Damned Launch Trailer Nov 19, 2015, 12:01 grudgebearer

ItBurn wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 10:49:
This is basically a Warhammer Xcom game, with base building and all. Instead of clicking on where you want your guy to go and then watching him go, you actually move your guys around in third person until you have no more "movement" points. I like it, but it would work better with a first person view.

There's no base-building in the traditional sense. You have a warcamp that you manage your troops at, but it's out of the actual game.

I've had this game for awhile in early access, don't get this game unless you are ok with no saves, and brutal random deployments during ambushes that will cause your entire party to wipe.

The devs are catering to the "hardcore" crowd, and frequently cite Dark Souls for some of Mordheim's more punishing game systems.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
16. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 22:46 grudgebearer

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:22:
I didn't think it was possible, but cliffyb actually managed to write an underlying theme for a game that's even more fucking ridiculous than Gears of War.

Not really original. He actually kind of ripped off the premise from Thundarr The Barbarian.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
87. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 24, 2015, 23:17 grudgebearer

I fail to see how a publisher/developer having their own financing or notimpacts the fact that the RSI is paying for development of a game by selling in game assets for real world dollars, before they've even produced the playable product.

If you think that is a valid business model, then it's should be ok in your mind for any company to employ it, but you give CIG a pass, and chastise EA or Ubisoft for it. Hence, you are a hypocrite.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
83. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 24, 2015, 07:19 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 21:25:
Of course the new ships are responsible for CIG's income - that's their business model. It's not a secret. But adding new ships isn't greed any more than the initial pitch was - the game would not have been funded any other way.

Were this coming from a publisher like EA or Ubisoft I'd be absolutely on your side but this is a game that literally wouldn't have been made any other way. If your argument is that this game shouldn't have been made then you're entitled to that opinion but the reality is that nearly a million people felt otherwise and have supported the project, while many others will buy it once it's released. That justifies its existence.

How staggeringly honest, and completely hypocritical of you. It's terrible when EA does it, but brilliant and awesome when CIG does it; you really are brainwashed.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
103. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 9, 2015, 13:39 grudgebearer

Comet wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 12:14:

The mainstream enjoys good games. No matter what they are.
Space sims included. The problem with the industry is that when you're investing millions to build a product, you prefer to play safe, so you avoid investing in types of games that you aren't sure will be successful. So you repeat the formulas that you are sure will work. The result is COD style games over and over again.
That doesn't mean publishers don't innovate.

Once someone proves that there is interest in a certain style of game they start investing on that.

For instance, GTA success has lead to other similar games like Saints Row, Just Cause and so on.

As an example that people do like space sims, is No Man's Sky.
In fact No Man's Sky is in many ways a modern version of Elite.
SC crowdfunding launched in October 2012. No Man's Sky was announced one year later. In November 2013.

No matter what you think about Star Citizen, only one thing matters. "Is it a good game or not?".
SC may fail, but if someone makes a great AAA space sim, people will buy it.

And yes. People do miss the large scale AAA space sim games of the past.
Actually, people love the idea of being the captain of a ship, or being the hotshot space pilot in Star Wars. Or the space explorer seeking out new lifeforms and new civilizations Star Trek style.

How can you use No Man's Sky as a comparison for mainstream adoption considering that it hasn't even been released yet, and there are no sales figures from it to support your statement about gamer interest?

AAA production value is not going to sell a game to people that are not interested in the genre. The DCS series is a AAA title, but unless you are into military flight sims you aren't going to buy it, and that's why there isn't a shitton of DCS-type games floating around, it's a niche category just like space flight sims.

You are correct...there are plenty of people that love flying an X-Wing, or being the captain of a Galaxy Class starship...but that doesn't mean they immediately want to jump into a generic sci-fi ship simulator and dog fight. Enjoying the Star Wars or Star Trek universes =/= loving space flight sims.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
99. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 9, 2015, 10:59 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 07:39:

Yeah, such a niche market that already the game has pulled in over $86m and broken all records for crowdfunding. People like space sims, they just don't like the terrible games that have been released since Starlancer. That's why people have been so quick to get behind Star Citizen. Also, don't forget the popularity of MMOs on PC - WoW still have over 5m subscribers, Final Fantasy has over 5m subscribers, etc. If they can manage that many SUBSCRIBERS then just think how many copies of Star Citizen will be sold considering it doesn't require a subscription.

I have to wonder, are you being intentionally obtuse at this point? Chris Roberts has pulled in $86 million from wealthy adults with larger amounts of disposable income, not 15 year old begging for Auroras for Christmas. If the mainstream gaming community as a whole enjoyed space sims, there would be tons of them, and we'd have a handful of decent games and a bunch of shitty clones; that's not the case though because whether you choose to realize it, it's a niche genre.

WoW and FF is your next jump huh? So Star Citizen is now a fantasy themed classic-style MMO? How do the number of people subscribed to two fantasy MMOs have any bearing on the appeal of Star Citizen, a primarly space-sim with a 'persistent universe.'

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 07:39:
You're completely missed the point, which is that Star Citizen is successful precisely because there haven't been any meaningful space sims in a decade. I mean, bloody hell - Rust sold a million copies and it was still in pre-release and is a shitty indie game. Arma 3 is a terrible game and it sold 3 million copies.

How does the number of copies of Rust (a survival crafting game, a genre which for whatever reason is huge right now), or Arma3 an open-world tactical shooter, have to do with the popularity of the space-sim genre,a and specially Star Citizen? Maybe you should also familiarize your self with the concept of false equivalence .

- Harlon Nayl

299 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo