Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 309 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced
5. Re: Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced Jan 18, 2017, 15:40 grudgebearer

MT Silver wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 14:29:
grudgebearer wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:10:
Mordheim tried to stick too closely to the tabletop game, and sacrificed a lot of the advantages that bringing the material to the video game medium provided. In the end it was a relatively boring slog of a game that provided more frustration than enjoyment, even to the people that sang it's praises.
Those are exactly my problems with it. It's like when Bioware made Baldur's Gate and kept the dumb THACO and other systems in it. Those things are compromises the boardgame/pen&paper devs had to make in order to make them playable. You don't have those limitations in a videogame. Screw the dice, just have the computer crunch some numbers behind the scenes. Focus on making a great game first and a loyal adaptation second.

I agree. If you are trying to make a video game clone of the board game, fine, keep it true to form, but if you are actually trying to make a game based off of the material, then use all of the modern methodologies at your disposal.

I'd love to see an XCom style turn-based combat game based of of necromunda where you are battling other gangs and the arbites for control of territory and resources, but this is going to be a reskinned Mordheim cash grab by GWS.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced
3. Re: Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced Jan 18, 2017, 13:10 grudgebearer

Mordheim tried to stick too closely to the tabletop game, and sacrificed a lot of the advantages that bringing the material to the video game medium provided. In the end it was a relatively boring slog of a game that provided more frustration than enjoyment, even to the people that sang it's praises.  

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
6. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 15:26 grudgebearer

Darks wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 15:21:

I guess steam doesn't want to cut into that 30 percent pure profit they take from publishers putting their games on steam.

You'd think with that 30% off the top they could actually invest in scalable infrastructure that could handle the traffic generated by the Steam sales.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Civilization VI Winter Update and New DLC
2. Re: Civilization VI Winter Update and New DLC Dec 21, 2016, 12:58 grudgebearer

I wanted to get this game, but I got burned with Civ 5, and it not being ready until two expansions later, and Beyond Earth, which is still garbage.

I'll get this when/if there is a complete version for $29.99 or less.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
43. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:28 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:13:
The community has had an enormous impact shaping the game....

The fact that you don't see this as a problem with how CIG is trying to develop the game, is very telling of your (lack of) understanding of the software development life cycle.

-Robert Heinlein

23. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:24 grudgebearer

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:04:
grudgebearer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 11:10:
I have no doubt that in the near future Star Citizen will be used as a case study for how not to approach game/software design in college courses, the same way that the Denver International Airport baggage handling system was used as how to not approach systems design when I was in college.

That's an interesting synopsis, thanks for that. When I was working in tech I once did a freelance contract for IBM at the Vancouver airport for several months. It was rather eye opening to see how an airport runs from the inside. What a mess. All the equipment was antiquated, and the entire airport seemed to be designed with form over function in mind. I knew even then I could have designed something much better and far more efficient. Should have pursued that avenue instead.

DIA was paying $1 million/Month for 10 years, just to keep the system running poorly, and that doesn't count what they were paying lost/damaged baggage claims.

If you could have cut that opperating cost by 20% they'd have paid you half a million a year. .

The conclusion of why the system never worked, and how the poor decisions during the design phase doomed it from the get go, has so many parallels to what has gone on with Star Citizen

1. The underestimation of complexity
2. A lack of planning resulting in subsequent changes in strategy
3. Excessive schedule pressure
4. Lack of due diligence
5. Making firm commitments in the face of massive risks and uncertainty
6. Poor stakeholder management
7. Communications breakdowns
8. People working in silos
9. Poor design
10. Failure to perform risk management
11. Failure to understand the implication change requests might have
12. Lack of management oversight

Scary really when you think about the amount of money RSI is wasting.

-Robert Heinlein

13. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:34 grudgebearer

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:12:
Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:52:
This whole thing is just baffling, This kind of addon to the game should have came out after the original intended game was finished.

I dont see how anyone can be supportive of this kind of crap being created for a game that was supposed to be a space flight sim in an open sand box.

Its this Bullshit that has all of us backers up in arms.

ummm wasn't the 5mill and 20mill stretch goal(s) to have more first person combat? so how can it be baffling and have people up in arms?

Probably because they don't even have a fully functional flight model implemented, and they are spending time/effort/money on remaking Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.

-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 11:10 grudgebearer

Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:52:
This whole thing is just baffling, This kind of addon to the game should have came out after the original intended game was finished.

I dont see how anyone can be supportive of this kind of crap being created for a game that was supposed to be a space flight sim in an open sand box.

Its this Bullshit that has all of us backers up in arms.

But it's no longer a space sim. Once Roberts realized how much money he could get for SQ42, he jizzed his pants and went full fan-boy on his own delusional dreams of living in the Wing Commander universe, knowing that there were plenty of gullible people with disposable income who also wanted to "live" his gaming dream world.

So, that's where we are today with this massive money-sink; Roberts is trying to create the world that he wants to live in, in game form. It is literally the epitome of scope and feature creep because it is based on his whims and flights of fancy.

I have no doubt that in the near future Star Citizen will be used as a case study for how not to approach game/software design in college courses, the same way that the Denver International Airport baggage handling system was used as how to not approach systems design when I was in college.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Next Total War Plans
2. Re: Next Total War Plans Dec 16, 2016, 10:41 grudgebearer

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 10:37:
I understand they make good money off of these, and I'll never begrudge fans of the series more games they enjoy, but how on earth are the devs not getting burned out? They've literally been making the same game for... what, almost 20 years now?

The stand out performer was Total War: Rome II, which managed to shift 1.13 million units across Europe and North America since its September 2013 release.

I don't think they get tired of the fat stacks they are making.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Graywalkers: Purgatory Next Year
2. Re: Graywalkers: Purgatory Next Year Dec 13, 2016, 11:37 grudgebearer

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 11:28:
Sounds interesting enough but it's a mistake forcing the player into a role. That's the entire point of an RPG, let the player decide what role he'll play. I certainly don't want to be "the one" and have no desire to "save humanity". I'd much rather go the other way.

Not sure how I missed the Kickstarter for this...

Meh, in most RPGs you are "the one" in some way. Skyrim, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Wasteland II. If it's story-driven at all that's pretty much a given.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
111. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 24, 2016, 20:02 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 15:32:
Delivering (in the processing of giving) is different to delivered (has already given). I shouldn't have to teach you basic English just to have a discussion about this. What we've seen and got to play is in excess of what was originally promised. Only if CIG goes bankrupt and is unable to complete the development is there an issue but funding is at record levels. The original pitch was for five ships (Aurora, Hornet, 300i, Freelancer and Constellation) - all of those are flyable, along with the Mustang, M50, Gladius, Cutlass, Avenger, Gladiator, Starfarer, Retaliator, Scythe, Glaive, P-52 Merlin, Khartu Al, Vanguard, Reliant, Sabre and Argo, with the Caterpillar, Herald and 85X due in the next patch in the next few weeks.

Not only that but the fidelity is dramatically beyond what was originally promised. And in the next patch we get Star Marine, which is the first-person combat element of the game - that's something that was originally a stretch goal. Is the game taking longer than was originally estimated? Absolutely, but the reason is the increased funding and scope of the game. As an original backer I support what CIG is doing.

Go back and look at the original pledge - it looks awful in comparison to what we're able to play now and what's coming up soon.

It's a crowdfunded game. The way it works is that people pay money AHEAD of time and fund development of the game. If you fail to grasp the fundamental business model then there's really nothing to discuss.

You still haven't answered my question, is there a playable Alpha, of the PSU or Squardron 42 yet?

How do I not grasp the business model? If there was a playable Alpha, one could argue that the incoming funds are because of the Alpha gameplay, and might infer that CIG is making correct decisions as far as software development is concerned. However, as it stands, there is no Alpha of the PSU or Squadron 42, so CIG is still just selling hope.

Arena Commander, Hanger Module, Social Module, none of that is even close to an Alpha of what was promised in the Kickstarter or afterwards.

-Robert Heinlein

101. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 21, 2016, 12:23 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 12:02:
grudgebearer wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 10:04:
In the end this will be more of a 'bait and switch' scheme. They are selling everyone on product A, but what will be released will actually be product B. It will fulfill all of the requirements for delivering a product for the Kickstarter rules, but won't be anything close to what was promised.
CIG is delivering far in excess of what was promised in the original Kickstarter. Further, the vast majority of backers came in after the Kickstarter. It's fair enough to criticise the delays but when the end result is going to be substantially better most people are fine with that - in fact CIG continues to attract large numbers of new backers and additional funds.

We get it, Star Citizen isn't for you. But clearly it is for a lot of other people and given that they continue to contribute more money into the project CIG must be doing something right.

So there's a playable alpha of the PSU and Squadron 42 already? Or are you considering the hanger module, Arena Commander, and social module on par with an actual alpha ?

The fact that CIG is selling people on hope, does not mean he's doing something "right" in terms of software development, just that he's doing something right in terms of fundraising.

-Robert Heinlein

98. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 21, 2016, 10:05 grudgebearer

Quietus wrote on Nov 21, 2016, 00:28:
Most AAA games have established game franchises that already have all the game mechanics worked out and the company infrastructures setup from previous titles.
It takes time to establish a company, build the infrastructure and acquire the right talent.

Star Citizen is only in the start of it's fifth year of open development for a AAA title. Most AAA titles take from 5-6 years or more to develop in a closed environment.
While the game is an open development alpha and not feature complete, it is playable. I'm very realistic in that the current live build 2.5 is a very unstable build. Give it the time that a AAA title takes to mature.

It's the most ambitious game title to date with tech that needs to be built to achieve, not a title that a game publisher pushes out before it's ready like No Man's Sky.

I think the issue is that this is the start of year 5, and the 2.5 build, is not anywhere close to the actual game. It's not even in the realm of a real Alpha at this point still.

-Robert Heinlein

97. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 21, 2016, 10:04 grudgebearer

Kosumo wrote on Nov 20, 2016, 22:02:
Edit, sorry, my bad, this is more a Ponzi scheme not so much a pyramid scheme.

In the end this will be more of a 'bait and switch' scheme. They are selling everyone on product A, but what will be released will actually be product B. It will fulfill all of the requirements for delivering a product for the Kickstarter rules, but won't be anything close to what was promised.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Civilization VI Preloads and Launch Trailer
2. Re: Civilization VI Preloads and Launch Trailer Oct 17, 2016, 22:41 grudgebearer

Same for me. Got burned on Beyond Earth, won't be buying until I see what the core game looks like, and what the DLC scheme is going to be.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
166. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 22:41 grudgebearer

NasWulf wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:51:
grudgebearer wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 21:05:
.... I'm sorry, but even in buggy state of WoW's alpha, it was far more than what CIG has released so far.

By this statement I don't think you were in the WoW Alpha, at lease not in the first year. I could be wrong, but the early days of the WoW Alpha was mostly testing the systems. Zones were mostly barren with no content, cities hubs were barren, the map was just a giant camera pull out over head view of the entire zones (there was no paper maps), it was very unpolished and not alot to do but run around and test systems as they patched them in. Yes over time the Alpha turned into what you might have seen as it grew into the Beta, but in no way was the early days of the WoW Alpha more feature complete, like all alphas.

I understand the mentality now a days that a Alpha is the "beta" and the Beta is the "demo" but it was not like that back then.

Which is still more content and progress in an alpha state than Star Citizen currently has after 4-5 years of development. None of the myriad of interconnected systems, from science, to trading, ground combat, to questing, to commerce exist in an interactive state, there isn't even a basic framework that's been shown to exist for all of these features to function in a persistent mmo experience that supports hundreds of players. Hangar module, Arena commander, social module, none of those show functionality on any scale that is anything close to what will be necessary for Star Citizen to meet the proposed goals.

Even the most optimistic person with any knowledge of even small software development projects can see that even an alpha of Star Citizen is several years away at best given the level of progress that has been revealed. That is unless they redefine what "alpha" means in terms of software development. This "alpha 3.0" mock up demo that they release, is nowhere near what a true alpha of Star Citizen will need to be before they can successfully move on to an actual beta, there are just too many promised features that only exist as partially thought out concepts.

-Robert Heinlein

161. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 21:05 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 20:46:
The hangar was the initial module, followed by Arena Commander (which introduced flight, combat and racing), the Social Module (introducing the first planetside location and social hub) and the Persistent Universe (which introduced multi-crew ships, local physics grids, 64-bit precision, missions, repair, FPS combat, currency, shopping and refuelling mechanics, etc). Star Marine is due out imminently, which will hone the FPS mechanics. Alpha 3.0 is due out later this year / early next year, which will introduce procedural planets, cargo mechanics, trading, etc.

But none of that is a beta, or even an alpha of Star Citizen or Squadron 42. It's a collection of individual systems, that are not connected in any way to one another. I'm sorry, but even in buggy state of WoW's alpha, it was far more than what CIG has released so far. Given the time that has been spent so far on development, there's no way that they get to any sort of actual alpha of either game that is even close to including all of the features that were promised in either, before 2018.

-Robert Heinlein

157. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 18:43 grudgebearer

NasWulf wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 17:09:

The 2003 WoW Alpha was closed and the 2004 Beta was open, WoW was announced as in development in 2001, so it took 2 years to have an internal Alpha and 3 years to have a closed Beta, with a 4.5 development period.

How is anything that has been released by CIG so far, anywhere close to the WoW alpha, much less the beta?

You have a hangar where you can look at the polygons you've spent money on, and a box in space where you can fly a limited number of ships around and shoot things. Other than an exercise in flight mechanics, what has actually been released to the backers that shows the project is actually on track to completing the proposed project plan?

-Robert Heinlein

127. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 15:42 grudgebearer

As long as the money is rolling Roberts will just keep chugging along making new ships to sell, and putting together snazzy demos of small chunks of his grand idea. People who have put tons of $$$ into this game will "ooh" and "aaahh" at the "amazing tech" on display, while dates are pushed back again, another rewrite of "X" system is started so that in the end this amazing product can finally be published.

Rinse and repeat. The real trouble will begin if the money stops.

-Robert Heinlein

48. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 15:40 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 15:10:
Rilcon wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 14:58:
If this thing ever comes out, is just half of what's been promised over the years, and isn't a bug-ridden, janky disaster, sure, I can see myself putting down $50 or the like for it.

As it is, it's just a lot of really fancy tech demos and PR. I can see why people buy into the hype, though, which is why I'm staying well away from any "early demos" or long-presentations or whatever.
The great thing is that CIG has regular free-fly weeks that allow people to test out the game in its entirety. If people like what they play they can back it, whilst others can wait or pass on it.

As an original backer from 2012 I want them to do it right. Once the game has been released it can't be taken back and the review scores will stick, along with first impressions. Obviously the delays are disappointing but they're far from unexpected. CIG has only just been showing off vision stabilisation and hasn't even shown us Star Marine yet, so the core systems just aren't in place yet.

If CIG can't show us the Squadron 42 presentation or release 3.0 this year then I'll be disappointed. If they can't get out 2.6 this year then I'll be concerned.

Cognitive dissonance is a way of life for people who have sunk a lot of money into this scheme...

-Robert Heinlein

309 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo