Limit Results:

432 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    22  ] Older

Re: The Outer Worlds on Steam and GOG.com
Oct 23, 2020, 14:09
Re: The Outer Worlds on Steam and GOG.com Oct 23, 2020, 14:09
Oct 23, 2020, 14:09

Acleacius wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 13:19:
I'm glad it's finally out in the world but.... at least Control had the decency to put the Compete Edition on for $29 (think it was Fanatical) at release.
The cheapest is GameBillet, according to IsThereAnyDeal for $24 but it's still just the base game bullshit. (very tricky epic has it on sale there too, easy mistake to get wrong one?)
Don't think I've ever bought from GameBillet but they have 5 star Trust Pilot rating.

That's me too. I have a pretty good feeling that the base game + all DLC will be like $30 buck s during the Christmas sales.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Star Citizen Drama
Sep 14, 2020, 23:36
Re: Star Citizen Drama Sep 14, 2020, 23:36
Sep 14, 2020, 23:36

Midnight wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 23:16:
"This is the game I've dreamed of my whole life. Now I am in a position to realize it, I am not willing to compromise it's potential because it is taking longer than I originally envisioned."

^ So many red flags here.

He should have ended that with "as long as I'm able to do so with someone else's money".
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event
Sep 10, 2020, 10:46
Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Sep 10, 2020, 10:46
Sep 10, 2020, 10:46

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 10, 2020, 03:54:
I backed the Kickstarter back in 2020 with a $35 pledge. It seemed like an interesting concept and there was nothing else like it at the time. As the game progressed and Arena Commander was released I pledged more because I liked the progress. Things went south in 2015 when CIG struggled to release Star Marine and refused to communicate with backers. That continued in 2016 when CIG demoed Alpha 3.0 as if it was close to release, then it was released in 2017 with a fraction of the features promised.

Do I regret the money I've put in? No, as I knew it was a gamble from the start. I've always accepted the project might not go anywhere but was hopeful it would be something decent. It also helped inspire other games like Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Wars Squadrons. Do I have respect for Chris Roberts now? No. The disdain he has shown for backers isn't acceptable and he has abandoned the open development that was originally promised.

Right now the whole thing is a Ponzi scheme. Chris Roberts is using money from Star Citizen backers to fund Squadron 42, even though more than 90% of funding is from Star Citizen. New ships are constantly being sold so that CIG can honour all the previous ships that are still outstanding.

LOL...

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 10:25:
Of course the game is intended to make money but I disagree that making money is the only goal. I sincerely believe that Chris Roberts is making this game because of his passion, not because of money.

As I said, I don't like the funding model but am rational enough to accept it was a necessary evil. You're free to disagree. If you don't want to back the game then don't.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: The Witcher 3 Breaks $50M Triggering Developer Payday
Feb 21, 2020, 11:57
Re: The Witcher 3 Breaks $50M Triggering Developer Payday Feb 21, 2020, 11:57
Feb 21, 2020, 11:57

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 21, 2020, 11:41:
Duh, $15,000,000 million dollars less. And I ain’t even a bizness genius but apparently I’m a wizard at basic math.

Right. Because of course CDPR would rather you not buy the game at all if you aren't going to get it on GOG so that they get 0 revenue, rather than you purchase it on Steam where they get the revenue-Valve's Cut.

-Robert Heinlein

Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes
Jan 30, 2020, 16:38
Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 30, 2020, 16:38
Jan 30, 2020, 16:38

This is just Blizzard trying to reassert that when you purchase a game, you do not own the software, but rather a 'license' to use the software, and they retain all ownership of the software even as it sits installed on your computer.

There will needs to be a definitive legal ruling to determine whether or not purchasing a software package entitles the purchaser the right to own the software, or just the right to use the software as long as the actual owner allows the the purchaser to do so.

If one actually owns the software once one purchases it, what you do with the software is no one else's business as long as you are not breaking any local or federal laws.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Announced
Dec 4, 2019, 16:42
Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Announced Dec 4, 2019, 16:42
Dec 4, 2019, 16:42

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 14:24:
I'm interested. The Pathfinder CRPG was pretty cool, but also annoyingly punishing with some rules, immunities, stunlocks, etc.

Hopefully their new game is awesome and more polished, as they claim.

The fact that Owlcat abandoned, or didn't understand CR scaling in the Pathfinder system, and decided to to just stack attack bonuses, AC, and class levels/features to increase difficulty made the first game a mess.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M
Dec 4, 2019, 14:26
Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 4, 2019, 14:26
Dec 4, 2019, 14:26

VoodooV wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 13:37:
grudgebearer wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 13:07:
Estimated 27% complete after 7 years

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

site is on the outside looking in. So it's inaccurate at best, misleading at worst. Didn't realize that site was still around but I recall a bunch of people calling out that site's claims as being BS in the past.

Guess we need a snopes now for video games too.

Feel free to contradict the points you believe are wrong, but as far as I can tell, all of those 'expectations' of which they are tracking have one or more documented links, with kickstarter goals and stretch goals called out specifically.
-Robert Heinlein

Dec 4, 2019, 13:07
Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 4, 2019, 13:07
Dec 4, 2019, 13:07

Estimated 27% complete after 7 years

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/
-Robert Heinlein

Dec 2, 2019, 20:46
Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 2, 2019, 20:46
Dec 2, 2019, 20:46

Gishey wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 18:27:
I look forward to buying this game in the discount bin in a few years.

Games actually have to be released to make it to the bargain bin. Roberts will keep Star Citizen in Alpha/Beta releases until the money runs out; a full release will never actually happen.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Bobby Prince Sues Valve, Gearbox, and Randy Pitchford
Sep 30, 2019, 16:58
Re: Bobby Prince Sues Valve, Gearbox, and Randy Pitchford Sep 30, 2019, 16:58
Sep 30, 2019, 16:58

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 30, 2019, 15:08:
Pretty much this. He's looking for a payout/extortion on 23 year old music. They'll settle out of court and he'll get to buy a new sleeper mini van aka home w/the proceeds.

So it's only scummy when someone sues to protect their IP rights from Gearbox, but perfectly fine for Gearbox to sue someone to protect their IP?
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Bobby Prince Sues Valve, Gearbox, and Randy Pitchford
Sep 30, 2019, 14:57
Re: Bobby Prince Sues Valve, Gearbox, and Randy Pitchford Sep 30, 2019, 14:57
Sep 30, 2019, 14:57

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 30, 2019, 11:34:
Took him 3 years to find a scummy lawyer that would take his case, gotta admire his persistance.

Or maybe he spent three years trying to workout an equitable compensations deal for the use of his work, and after being jerked around by Pitchford and Gearbox, had no choice but to seek redress through the court system?

Couldn't possibly be that though could it? Must just be him and a scummy lawyer trying to disparage the good names of Gearbox Software and Randy Pitchford.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Lost Viking: Kingdom of Women Announced
Sep 28, 2019, 10:41
Re: Lost Viking: Kingdom of Women Announced Sep 28, 2019, 10:41
Sep 28, 2019, 10:41

Really not digging that art style.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: The End is Nigh and ABZU Free on Epic Games Store
Sep 5, 2019, 22:17
Re: The End is Nigh and ABZU Free on Epic Games Store Sep 5, 2019, 22:17
Sep 5, 2019, 22:17

See guys, we really do have 85 million *active logons*.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store
Aug 30, 2019, 11:56
Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 11:56
Aug 30, 2019, 11:56

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 11:20:
Man that is downright immoral, illegal, unethicul and uber duper super fattening.
sigh

I know that you are just troll-shilling, but if they are using those inflated numbers to try to swing publishers/devs to agree to exclusivity terms, then yeah, it would be pretty unethical to claim active users who only have Epic freebies on their accounts.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store
Aug 30, 2019, 10:46
Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 10:46
Aug 30, 2019, 10:46

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 08:32:
in case you need to start clearing hard drive space for all these 100% discounts

Here's an interesting question: How many people actually install/play these Freebies they're snagging up, be it from Epic or anywhere else?

In my case, they just go straight into the backlog and the category titled "To play one day."

Doubt Epic cares too much. People login and get the free game, and Epic can inflate their active user numbers, that's the real goal of them giving away free games.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation
Aug 29, 2019, 15:36
Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 29, 2019, 15:36
Aug 29, 2019, 15:36

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 15:03:
1) The Examiner is also garbage. They're the idiots that started the "Gillette lost $2B because of a commercial" nonsense

The point being that it's the same information, regardless of the perceived or real slant of the person/organization telling it to you.

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 15:03:
2) My stats aren't about college. What you're arguing against is. Women are raped in places other than college campuses.

1) Because you cited it incorrectly and referenced it as "1/5 women in America are victims of rape" which is patently false

2) Because even used correctly to reflect the demographic that study represents, females on college campuses, the number is still false, and even the originator of the study stated that it should not be used as representative data reflecting the whole of campuses across the United States.

The ultimate point, is don't use bad data to prove your point, when the real data disagrees with you.

-Robert Heinlein

Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation
Aug 29, 2019, 14:49
Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 29, 2019, 14:49
Aug 29, 2019, 14:49

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:52:
But linking to a YouTube video put out by far right propaganda hurts your cause as much as mine. Literally every single authority on sexual violence does 1 in 5 or 1 in 6. Yet, weirdly, a far right think tank finds flaws in this. The same think tank that takes money from oil companies and puts out endless thought pieces about how Climate Change is a hoax. It's not a reputable authority. Particularly as a video - videos should NEVER be accepted as proof of anything that doesn't need to be seen - it's the easiest form of media for manipulation. There's a reason why the alt-right thrives on YouTube but not in text form.

Granted, I didn't watch her other videos, but what exactly was "far right" about the information she presented?

Does it make you feel better to read the same on Time?

How about CNN?

Maybe the Washington Examiner?

How about the Atlantic?

There's nothing that she stated in that video that isn't included in these articles. Regardless of her views on climate change, and I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic, she's not lying in that video, and anyone who uses those numbers from that study, by the words of the originator of the study itself, would be misleading you if they state that 1/5 is representative of college campuses across the United States.
-Robert Heinlein

Aug 29, 2019, 13:35
Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 29, 2019, 13:35
Aug 29, 2019, 13:35

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 07:28:

1 in 5 women get raped in the us.

First of all, no, that 1/5 is a number attributed to a study of the percentage of female students on US college campuses that are victims of rape, not the entire country, and that study and findings, in the words of its creator would be over-simplistic and misleading to assume that 1/5 women on campus were victims of rape.

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 07:28:
1 in 3 experiences sexual violence.

Those numbers are from the WHO and are their estimate, for the entire world,women who will experience physical or sexual violence in their lifetime, and the report specifically mentions the fact that for many of the regions that are included in the report, that due to the nature of many of those regions included in the study, they have no factual basis on their extrapolations.

I think we can all agree that rape, and violence against women are terrible, and shouldn't happen, but using questionable studies and misrepresented numbers to prove your point, is not helping.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity
Aug 28, 2019, 10:17
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 10:17
Aug 28, 2019, 10:17

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 09:15:
Again, though, I really don't think it's shady.

We know everything on EGS is a manual process. Cloud saving is only available for games in which it's manually set up. It's a fairly safe assumption getting games up and running on the store is comparably manual. It's probably pretty intensive. Again, nothing very new here - often you design something manually before you build the automated process, because you need to go through it a few times to see how it actually works, instead of how you theorize it would work.

In which case, EGS needs to spend a lot of time getting these games up and running. If you were EGS, which products would you focus on? AAA games that will sell hundreds of thousands of copies, or indie games that may sell mere thousands? Your limiting factor is man hours, so you don't have resources to apply to every single game that wants up.

Like any business, you focus on what will bring you customers. AAA will bring you customers. Exclusives will bring you customers. Indie games available in a dozen places will not. You will likely not get back the time you invest in getting it up.

So it isn't shady. Shady is choosing to only carry indie games if they're exclusive as a way to punish devs not going exclusive - a business decision that it's exclusive or bust. Not shady is choosing to only focus your limited resources on something customers will buy from you.

You typed that as if it doesn't cost Valve, Gog, Ubisoft or EA money to host and sell an indie game. Epic's back end is rushed-to-market trash, so they get a pass on telling indie devs that it's either be exclusive, or you can't put your game on our platform?

It's Epic's store they can do what they want, but let's not pretend that their behavior is the norm.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity
Aug 27, 2019, 15:11
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 15:11
Aug 27, 2019, 15:11

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 13:00:
shots fired rowr - yawn
Someone might mention to him that it is the storefront who makes the rules and not the other way around.
The darq dev's asshole is showing, but all publicity is good publicity. Amirite

Lol zero shame was established when you said that it was 100% ethical for Epic to offer exclusivity to Kickstarter devs who'd already promised Steams keys, but only if they dropped steam, and forced refunding of near-release Epic exclusives that were being pre-sold on other platforms, but you've really become a parody of yourself with this statement.
-Robert Heinlein
432 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    22  ] Older