Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 321 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows
7. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 12:26 grudgebearer

Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:18:

Or, on the other hand, they're on the board of Vulkan.

Maybe, but that would seem contradictory to their desire to make games Windows 10 exclusives that are only offered on their delivery platforms.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows
4. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 12:03 grudgebearer

Microsoft probably has 250 lawyers working feverishly right now to find a way to crush Vulkan, or neuter it to the point of being useless before any more devs drop DX12 support.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access
20. Re: Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access Feb 13, 2017, 19:35 grudgebearer

Jagacademy wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 16:52:
I've seen people spend $20,000+ buying cosmetic items for player-run Ultima Online freeshards.

Pics or it didn't happen.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access
19. Re: Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access Feb 13, 2017, 19:31 grudgebearer

Darks wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 10:36:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 10:32:
a $1000 dollar copy? Seriously who will back on that level

You would be surprised how many do that do. Must be nice to have money like that to just trow around.

Here's a lets play of the games action. looks pretty good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVtEZAi3Wg

Gameplay looks good? He walks up and enters the agro range, get's shot at, then walks a foot away, and the enemy wanders off as if he never existed; clickfest with poor AI, another waste of the 40k IP.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
22. Re: On Sale Feb 13, 2017, 08:45 grudgebearer

Well, in their defense, the POB for on that warhammer would be about 2 inches from the head, making it uncomfortable to carry around perpendicular to your body with your hands on the 'hilt' area for any amount of time.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > GreedFall Announced
1. Re: GreedFall Announced Feb 9, 2017, 13:24 grudgebearer

Well that video told me absolutely nothing...  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Alpha This Week
8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Alpha This Week Feb 7, 2017, 16:21 grudgebearer

Darks wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 16:04:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 13:18:
grudgebearer wrote on Feb 7, 2017, 11:03:
Why in all holy hell they decided to use the 40k Inquisitor concept to make a diablo-clone, is just beyond all comprehension.

Because 10 years ago everyone was making a WOW clone.

So, is this a top down like Diablo? I didn't notice that when I saw the video, I thought it was more of an FPS type game.

If so, im defiantly interested. Plus how can you go wrong with 4 players Coop?

Every video I've seen of it is 3/4 isometric. You might be thinking of 'Spacehulk:Deathwing'

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Alpha This Week
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Alpha This Week Feb 7, 2017, 11:03 grudgebearer

Why in all holy hell they decided to use the 40k Inquisitor concept to make a diablo-clone, is just beyond all comprehension.

The 40k source material for Inquisitors screams party-based RPG, or an action-based 3rd person shooter/RPG. With all of the shovelware that is being produced with their IP, Games-Workshop needs to fire whomever is overseeing their foray into gaming.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games
18. Re: EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games Feb 3, 2017, 11:40 grudgebearer

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 05:06:
grudgebearer wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 14:31:
The problem is that neither Poland or Czech Republic use the Euro as their currency. All this will do is cause valve to offer games in EU member stats in Euros only, as opposed to local currencies.

And really, I don't blame them. The polish zloty to euro exchange rate is .23. It's not in Valve, or any publisher that uses Steam, best interest to sell a game in a local currency that equates to 1/4 of the EU price, and then lose a sale from another EU country that does use the Euro because they can get it cheaper from a Polish reseller.

in the end Polish and Czech gamers will suffer the ruling as Steam games quadruple in price as they will only be offered in Euro prices

You do realize that just because the Zloty is one quarter of a Euro, that it doesn't mean that things (games included) are four times as cheap in Poland as in the rest of Europe.

I didn't state that it was, I said that it wasn't in Valve's or any publishers best interest to offer prices in the Zloty at 1/4 the price of the game in a Euro country, when they also risk losing a sale at the same time.

The fact that Poland and Czech don't use the Euro, and their currencies are so much lower in comparison, make it a deterrent to offer games in the local currencies that would be in line with the local economy.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games
13. Re: EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games Feb 2, 2017, 14:31 grudgebearer

The problem is that neither Poland or Czech Republic use the Euro as their currency. All this will do is cause valve to offer games in EU member stats in Euros only, as opposed to local currencies.

And really, I don't blame them. The polish zloty to euro exchange rate is .23. It's not in Valve, or any publisher that uses Steam, best interest to sell a game in a local currency that equates to 1/4 of the EU price, and then lose a sale from another EU country that does use the Euro because they can get it cheaper from a Polish reseller.

in the end Polish and Czech gamers will suffer the ruling as Steam games quadruple in price as they will only be offered in Euro prices

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
22. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 20:31 grudgebearer

Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 15:56:
People also need to learn how game development works. It isn't an exact science. Ideas that sound good on paper may not work so well in practice. Iteration leads to better games and during the process, things will be changed or cut for the better of the product as a whole. If you can't accept this, you shouldn't be Kickstarting games.

So, you don't have a problem with them waiting until less than a month before release, to tell backers that they in fact are not going to meet the kickstarter goals, and then only coming clean because they were called out on a reddit and had to respond?

Did they take the time to put in a 'white knight' class for you during the years of delay?

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2017, 20:46.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
14. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 16:46 grudgebearer

Torment, and The Mandate killed me on kickstarting anymore PC games.

Any future inXile game I purchase will need to be >50% off to get me to bite.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced
5. Re: Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced Jan 18, 2017, 15:40 grudgebearer

MT Silver wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 14:29:
grudgebearer wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:10:
Mordheim tried to stick too closely to the tabletop game, and sacrificed a lot of the advantages that bringing the material to the video game medium provided. In the end it was a relatively boring slog of a game that provided more frustration than enjoyment, even to the people that sang it's praises.
Those are exactly my problems with it. It's like when Bioware made Baldur's Gate and kept the dumb THACO and other systems in it. Those things are compromises the boardgame/pen&paper devs had to make in order to make them playable. You don't have those limitations in a videogame. Screw the dice, just have the computer crunch some numbers behind the scenes. Focus on making a great game first and a loyal adaptation second.

I agree. If you are trying to make a video game clone of the board game, fine, keep it true to form, but if you are actually trying to make a game based off of the material, then use all of the modern methodologies at your disposal.

I'd love to see an XCom style turn-based combat game based of of necromunda where you are battling other gangs and the arbites for control of territory and resources, but this is going to be a reskinned Mordheim cash grab by GWS.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced
3. Re: Necromunda: Underhive Wars Announced Jan 18, 2017, 13:10 grudgebearer

Mordheim tried to stick too closely to the tabletop game, and sacrificed a lot of the advantages that bringing the material to the video game medium provided. In the end it was a relatively boring slog of a game that provided more frustration than enjoyment, even to the people that sang it's praises.  

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
6. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 15:26 grudgebearer

Darks wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 15:21:

I guess steam doesn't want to cut into that 30 percent pure profit they take from publishers putting their games on steam.

You'd think with that 30% off the top they could actually invest in scalable infrastructure that could handle the traffic generated by the Steam sales.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Civilization VI Winter Update and New DLC
2. Re: Civilization VI Winter Update and New DLC Dec 21, 2016, 12:58 grudgebearer

I wanted to get this game, but I got burned with Civ 5, and it not being ready until two expansions later, and Beyond Earth, which is still garbage.

I'll get this when/if there is a complete version for $29.99 or less.

-Robert Heinlein

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
43. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:28 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:13:
The community has had an enormous impact shaping the game....

The fact that you don't see this as a problem with how CIG is trying to develop the game, is very telling of your (lack of) understanding of the software development life cycle.

-Robert Heinlein

23. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 13:24 grudgebearer

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:04:
grudgebearer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 11:10:
I have no doubt that in the near future Star Citizen will be used as a case study for how not to approach game/software design in college courses, the same way that the Denver International Airport baggage handling system was used as how to not approach systems design when I was in college.

That's an interesting synopsis, thanks for that. When I was working in tech I once did a freelance contract for IBM at the Vancouver airport for several months. It was rather eye opening to see how an airport runs from the inside. What a mess. All the equipment was antiquated, and the entire airport seemed to be designed with form over function in mind. I knew even then I could have designed something much better and far more efficient. Should have pursued that avenue instead.

DIA was paying $1 million/Month for 10 years, just to keep the system running poorly, and that doesn't count what they were paying lost/damaged baggage claims.

If you could have cut that opperating cost by 20% they'd have paid you half a million a year. .

The conclusion of why the system never worked, and how the poor decisions during the design phase doomed it from the get go, has so many parallels to what has gone on with Star Citizen

1. The underestimation of complexity
2. A lack of planning resulting in subsequent changes in strategy
3. Excessive schedule pressure
4. Lack of due diligence
5. Making firm commitments in the face of massive risks and uncertainty
6. Poor stakeholder management
7. Communications breakdowns
8. People working in silos
9. Poor design
10. Failure to perform risk management
11. Failure to understand the implication change requests might have
12. Lack of management oversight

Scary really when you think about the amount of money RSI is wasting.

-Robert Heinlein

13. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:34 grudgebearer

Sabre Wulf wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:12:
Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:52:
This whole thing is just baffling, This kind of addon to the game should have came out after the original intended game was finished.

I dont see how anyone can be supportive of this kind of crap being created for a game that was supposed to be a space flight sim in an open sand box.

Its this Bullshit that has all of us backers up in arms.

ummm wasn't the 5mill and 20mill stretch goal(s) to have more first person combat? so how can it be baffling and have people up in arms?

Probably because they don't even have a fully functional flight model implemented, and they are spending time/effort/money on remaking Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.

-Robert Heinlein

6. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 11:10 grudgebearer

Darks wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 10:52:
This whole thing is just baffling, This kind of addon to the game should have came out after the original intended game was finished.

I dont see how anyone can be supportive of this kind of crap being created for a game that was supposed to be a space flight sim in an open sand box.

Its this Bullshit that has all of us backers up in arms.

But it's no longer a space sim. Once Roberts realized how much money he could get for SQ42, he jizzed his pants and went full fan-boy on his own delusional dreams of living in the Wing Commander universe, knowing that there were plenty of gullible people with disposable income who also wanted to "live" his gaming dream world.

So, that's where we are today with this massive money-sink; Roberts is trying to create the world that he wants to live in, in game form. It is literally the epitome of scope and feature creep because it is based on his whims and flights of fancy.

I have no doubt that in the near future Star Citizen will be used as a case study for how not to approach game/software design in college courses, the same way that the Denver International Airport baggage handling system was used as how to not approach systems design when I was in college.

-Robert Heinlein

321 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo