Descending
Limit Results:

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Upkeep
Jun 19, 2003, 18:20
Re: Upkeep Jun 19, 2003, 18:20
Jun 19, 2003, 18:20

"And yes, I think its obvious that upkeep justifies the monthly fee to an extent, but 15 bucks? Somebody has been eating retard sandwiches."

I don't think anyone really believes that the 15 bucks is solely for upkeep. I mean come on they are in this to make a profit too. You can call them greedy but thats capitalism for you.

And although it is higher than most other MMORPGs on the market right now $15 isn't a huge sum of money. I see people acting like spending $15 a month is gonna seriously change their standard of living or something.

If you are a casual gamer (I'm not even mentioning the hardcore ones that play 18 hrs a day) that plays the game 5 hours total a week, which isn't much at all, then thats 20 hours of entertainment for $15. Sorry but I cant seem to think of anything else I do that costs so little. Pool halls charge at least $5/hr, Movies are $8 for a 2 hr ticket, amusement parks like disneyland are $40 for 12 hours...I could go on but I won't. Hell I spent like 30 bucks yesterday to sit at a bar where my friend's band was playing for an hour and drink a couple coronas.

Now this argument is only valid assuming the game entertains you...becuase if it doesn't then why the hell would you be paying anything for it =P

Re: Yikes...
Jun 19, 2003, 18:07
Re: Yikes... Jun 19, 2003, 18:07
Jun 19, 2003, 18:07

"Yea but PS2 games you can play with a friend at the same console. I don't understand why all of a sudden it is okay for a monthly fee to play a game. Don't tell me bc Lucas said so"

It's not because Lucas said so. If anything I would say its because EA said so when they made UO which (I believe) was the first MMORPG that was pay to play per month. (I could be wrong about this if u want to flame but I KNOW it wasn't george lucas that set this precedent)

I also dont understand what you mean when you say "all of a sudden" since MMORPGs have been charging monthly for years now.

Now I dunno about you guys but most single player games I buy for $50 entertain me for at most 20 hours....and thats a long time. Most PS2 games I rent I can beat the game in less than that and after you beat it theres not much of a point in playing it. I rent PS2 games for $6 for a 1 week rental at the blockbuster near my house which is a hella lot better than paying $40-$50 per game only to beat it in less than a week. So $6 per week, 4 weeks per month = $24 a month. $15 a month sounds better to me and most MMORPGs keep me hooked for at least a couple months, sometimes years.

Now there are exceptions. CS kept me entertained for a long time for free but then it got overrun with hackers and since your not paying for anyone to regulate that no one really did and it killed the game for me. Warcraft III and SC were fun for a long time and those were also free. And most sports PS2 games I buy like NBA street vol. 2 last a while since I can always play against my friends when they come over. But again those are exceptions, most console and single player games get finished or just boring within 10-20 hrs, RPGs like FFX lasting a little longer.

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older