2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Beta experience
Jun 19, 2003, 07:56
Xin
Re: Beta experience Jun 19, 2003, 07:56
Jun 19, 2003, 07:56
Xin

Yes, some kind of registration system for shops would have been great. Perhaps it's coming at a later date.

It doesn't take hours to run between towns, but it does take quite a while (I've been running for 10 minutes on Tatooine and am not yet half way to my destination - although I am not running to the next closest town - I'm running 3/4 the length of the map). I think most people say it takes hours because it feels like it. There's nothing to do while you're running since spawns few and far between, and what few I've seen so far on this run have been too powerful for me to consider attacking, so I've had to avoid them.

I think waiting is the most intelligent thing you can do. I'm not giving up on the game entirely - I'll look at it again around christmas.

Beta experience
Jun 19, 2003, 05:59
Xin
Beta experience Jun 19, 2003, 05:59
Jun 19, 2003, 05:59
Xin

When I started beta I was ecstatic. I'd upgraded my PC for this game and here it was! Everything looked very very cool, I had a blaster in my hand, and I was in Star Wars!

Two days ago I was sitting at my PC reading the beta forums and lamenting the fact that it was more enjoyable than playing the game.

Forgetting all the bugs (which is hard to do considering how many there are and how severe some of them are), I simply find the game dull.

Combat is not nearly as exciting as they made it sound, and is repetitive to the point of being a plain bore. Crafting is boring because you need to grind for ages (create-and-destroy) before you can make something that others will actually pay good money for. And since there's no schematic revocation, anything you can make that might be saleable can be made with higher specs by a higher-skilled artisan.

Missions are ridiculous. Someone tried pointing out (on the beta boards) that there are thousands of missions. Unfortunately there are not. There are thousands of randomly generated variations of the same tired old missions. Running out to random point x1,y1 to destroy random_spawn_125 really isn't any different from running out to random point x2,y2 to destroy random_spawn_277.

Killing mobs and NPCs that roam around the wilderness (in the case of the NPCs - seemingly for no reason at all) is also dull and repetitive. It's akin to killing mammoths, aviaks and treants in EQ. You do it because they're there and you need the XP and cash (though hunting for cash is just silly).

Overall, there isn't any feeling of Star Wars in this game. After my "WOW I'm in Star Wars" feeling wore off, I never again even thought about Star Wars while I was playing.

If you want to experience "the greatest Star Wars saga ever told... Yours!" as the trailer advertises, you'd be better off logging out and just daydreaming up a story for yourself without the game getting in the way.

Yes you can set up a shop and hire a vendor (if you can ever afford one). However, you have no way of letting players know that you have a shop or where it is. There is a no_build zone around all cities, and you have to build out beyond that. People will only come across your shop by chance unless you start accosting them and pleading with them to go to your store.

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older