Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3443 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Play Launches
8. Re: Overwatch Competitive Play Launches Jun 29, 2016, 13:35 Fion

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 06:01:
Fion wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 00:27:
#20? Damn. Just checked, I'm Rank #13'289 and I thought my D.va was pretty sick, my best game is with her at 33 elims, kill streak of 27 and 19'500 damage done.

61 elims, 29 last hits, 29 kill streak, 48 objective kills, and 31,966 damage are my tops so far with D.Va

WoW.. makes me feel old and slow. Then again I was a pro Quake 2 & CS 1.6 player like 20 years ago so I don't feel THAT much worse than I was then... though my 20 year old self would kick my ass up and down no doubt in Overwatch lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Overwatch Competitive Play Launches Jun 29, 2016, 13:32 Fion

WOW!

Woops, double post.

4. Re: Overwatch Competitive Play Launches Jun 29, 2016, 00:27 Fion

#20? Damn. Just checked, I'm Rank #13'289 and I thought my D.va was pretty sick, my best game is with her at 33 elims, kill streak of 27 and 19'500 damage done.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 13:21 Fion

Personally I've found this season to be thrilling but also poorly written in many ways. It's just really obvious the writers didn't have a book to fall back on this time, and unlike the intrigue and crazy unexpected events and deaths that made it so you never knew what would happen next or who's time was up next is utterly gone.

spoilers s6e10
I can see why they will only do a half season, they basically lined everything up to let Daenerys wipe the floor with westeros now that most of it's nobles are dead, King's Landing is largely burnt to the ground and the only remaining major noble houses with any weatlh and large armies are going to side with her before she even arrives. And Tyrian all but came out and said 'there's this dude named John Snow that'll be just your type, you'll see!'

I also disliked the final episode for many reasons - though the fan service was awesome, several notable characters did things completely out of character. I mean Dorn backing Daenerys? If you know your history that's the last thing they'd EVER do. I guess that's why the show killed the Prince and put women into power. And how exactly does the Queen of Thorns know her grandkids are dead already? Or those in Winterfell knows that Walder Frey is dead when the SEAT OF ALL KNOWLEDGE in the realms didn't know that the Old Bear and Maester Aemon had died what is now years ago. We know from the first season that it takes months - during the summer - to travel from King's Landing to these places. A bird is going to cut that time down but not to days. Ah.. sometimes it doesn't pay off to be a book reader.

Sorry for caps but.. CERCEI ISN'T SMART ENOUGH TO PULL OFF THAT WIN! In the books every time she tries something of intrigue or a complicated web of lies and the shear numbers involved, she'd get caught.

Anyway I really look forward to Book 6, it'll be no where near as obvious and strait forward as Season 6 has been, even if it's been a fun show and Ep10 was basically just fan service. I'm also disliking how many characters have been given plot protection at this point. I'm sure there'll be some shocking deaths in S7 but we all know a few that won't die, no matter how dire things may become.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2016, 13:36.

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
11. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 27, 2016, 13:13 Fion

AO wasn't my first MMO but remains my all time favorite. I was there in the beta and for it's launch as the 'buggiest game launch of all time'. Was a founding member of 3305 Local (which sadly no longer has a presence in AO), but many of my oldest online friends are from those days and many of those old members still game together, we have a fair number of folks in Overwatch these days.

AO was among the first MMOGs as well to offer a large part of their game for free, no micro-transactions, 100% free. Only the expansion content requires a paid sub.

Fond memories. I still have a froob acount (free noob), I might consider dropping bye during this event, especially if I can get some of my old 3305 buds to do the same.

News Comments > Civilization VI Videos
18. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 13:23 Fion

Don't get me wrong Yonder, I'm rather hyped for the game and I 'love' the new map system - from the unexplored areas having like an old parchment map styling to them to mountains having a use besides a way to block attacking troops trying to get by your fortress.

I do agree that the games have been cartoony for a while, and it seems clear that Civ VI art design is heavily inspired by Civ IV's (which I disliked then too). Between gigantic army units were huge battles were fought between... 8 combatants and the game's leaders looking like a saturday morning cartoon, IV was seriously cartoonish in its art direction and Civ VI is clearly following that trend, if not going even more cartoony.

I must prefered Civ V's 'stylized realism', and mods only increased this with - as I mentioned - R.E.D. Mod Pack making units look like more than 6-8 individual gigantic soldiers. I just hope we see mods like that fairly soon with CiV VI.

Def pre-ordering though!

News Comments > Civilization VI Videos
2. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 13:29 Fion

I agree, the units are few in number and cartoonish, the leaders look like they were ripped from a Disney movie. I get why they went with this, probably so it'll run on a wider variety of hardware. While I'm hyped as hell for the game, seeing units tower over the cities is jarring and will undoubtedly break immersion.

Hopefully early mods will improve the situation, reskin and resize units, add a tun more individual combatants per unit. After all one of the most popular mods for Civ V is the R.E.D. Mod Pack, I have a feeling a similar mod will be just as popular.

Edit: for clarity

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2016, 13:53.

News Comments > Battleborn XP Bonus & Play With the Devs
7. Re: Battleborn XP Bonus & Play With the Devs Jun 24, 2016, 13:54 Fion

I own the game, though I regret its purchase. It's quite different from Overwatch in that it's much more MOBA inspired, with 2 of the 3 modes involving minions.

That said there are similarities as they are both 'hero shooters' where each hero has unique abilities, etc. But Battleborn utterly lacks the polish, the smart and clean design and many of the abilities are uninspired and not designed with some kind of cohesion in mind, half the time you cant even tell what's going on.

As an example, here is a typical fight in Battleborn:
http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/battleborn/battleborn_060.jpg

And is a similar fight in Overwatch:
http://www.psnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/overwatch-ps4-gameplay-screens-03.jpg

Looking at both it's easy to see they have similarities and differences. In battle born which 'heroes' on the field are on your team? What's the objective? What is each player currently doing? It appears there are 2 heroes and some minions but is that another near the big explosion? I see some green in there so maybe, but they are utterly obscured. Lets also note that the featured hero's 'battle suit' and giant gun graphics take up a huge portion of the bottom screen. If he were being shot from below he'd never even know it.

It's easy to see that Battleborn is a mish-mash of crazy, confusing characters difficult to see on the battlefield let alone know what each one is up to. It's obviously a fight but are they fighting over something? The UI gives absolutely no hint as to the goal of the battle and is so cluttered with information it's difficult to tell where it ends and the gameplay begins!

Overwatch on the other-hand is clear, concise. It's obvious what each hero is doing and the UI is informative without being in your face in the least. The goal of the match is clearly represented.. one team is attempting to capture the point. Four clearly defined heroes obvious to spot amid the chaos of their battle, clearly outlined and named in red for enemies/blue for allies. which are your allies and which are your enemies. Your class abilities are clearly shown in the bottom right, but unlike Battleborn are simple symbols in black & white that don't obscure part of your view. L1 lets you use the resource (with the same icon) shown near the crosshair - in this case to move forward at high speed. L2 allows the character to go back, rewinding 'time' and her weapons have a full clip. There's no way to tell what the Battleborn class abilities even do, let alone which one is the ultimate!

With Overwatch even when there's a massive close-quarters fight going on it's always easy to tell whats happening, who is winning, how to help out the most in that situation. You can even tell which allies have their ultimate ready to use and communicate that information to better combine your assault.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2016, 14:02.

News Comments > Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking
9. Re: Blizzard on Overwatch Matchmaking Jun 22, 2016, 13:01 Fion

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 00:08:

Custom games and training matches against AI are a great way to hone your skills with those characters you want to get better with!

This is exactly what I do. I now consider myself competent on a wide range of characters because of this, above average on several more and my best matches having been my 3 fav chars; D.va, Pharah and Zarya. Zarya specifically I probably never would have touched if I didn't spend time in custom games to learn her mechanics without the worry of getting screamed at if I wasn't holding my own in a random.

I also like to 'warm up' in a custom game or two as I've always been the type of gamer who gets better the more I play in a specific span. I find I win more games by doing so.

But yes, if you're playing a game and being hard countered, switch up your character to something that still complements your group but isn't being destroyed. As an example I had a game yesterday where I tanked as Roadhog (with a D.va on the side). We started out (in Gibraltar) dominating but the team switched things up to 2 D.va and a distant McCree I simply wasn't able to get close enough to do my job so I switched up to Zenyatta and let discord orb allow my dps-focused teammates mow down the tank-heavy opponent group.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2016, 14:36 Fion

Wow, hell with that elevator. My claustrophobia isn't triggered by elevators, but even watching that and I got more than a little nervous.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Video
19. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Video Jun 16, 2016, 14:03 Fion

Ryder?

Wtf is this game set in... southern Calinfornia 1995?

And is it just me or has weapon & armor technology basically the same when the timeline has advanced hundreds of years. I get it, the ME 'look' is rather iconic, but you can keep the aesthetic without jarring the 'far flung future' experience.

News Comments > Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox
21. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 5, 2016, 13:10 Fion

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 17:46:
...and the character designs are better than Overwatch IMO.

To each their own but I think that's one of the biggest reasons Battleborn is failing, is its character design. Each hero is a messy tangle of limbs, barbs, spines & color-mixing without a clear silhouette, let alone a cohesive design rule-set on all but a few of them. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a big fight in that game with the enemy team and there was so many particle fx and giant UI cramming the screen and characters mashed together it was difficult to tell who i was even fighting or worse yet, which ones were on the enemy team!

Overwatch on the other hand, each character has a unique silhouette. You can tell who your going up against the split second you come across a pack of opponents all jumbled together. The graphics are crisp, clean and the UI much clearer and easier to read. This design principle is clearly borrowed from Valve when they made TF2 and to a lesser extend, the L4D series. A design principle you can read about here:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GameFest08_ArtInSource.pdf

As to the humor I find it more.. basement level. It's largly one-liners and fart jokes that make ya giggle but little else. A popular example:

ISIC - "Looks like they're coming in whether I like it or not! And I don't! I don't like that sh*t at all!"

It lacks the whit and subtly of previous Gearbox titles that used subtle puns, word-play and Easter eggs or call-backs to previous events even in previous titles. It's why Tiny Tina's BL2 DLC is one of the best Gearbox DLC ever.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2016, 13:27.

News Comments > Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox
1. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 4, 2016, 10:54 Fion

Wait someone actually wrote for Battleborn? I thought it was just like some text fed through a meme machine or something.  

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
22. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:36 Fion

Twitter Correction
Competitive play will come out mid-late June, not July.

Source
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/738044550371893248

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
19. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:06 Fion

Yea the problem with D.va is that her critical hit 'box' is center mass so while she is supposed to be a tank, she is incredibly easy to burn down by just hitting her there. I've done this with a single clip on Soldier76, an admittedly 'middling' damage dealer. Double this with the fact that her guns do basically no damage beyond a range of ~10 yards and it means she gets creamed in larger maps constantly.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 31, 2016, 12:05 Fion

So is this the new excuse when a movies early reviews are anything but good? 'The Director's Cut will be better'? Seems I've been hearing this one a lot lately cough-Batman v Superman-cough.  

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Announcement
1. Re: Overwatch Launch Announcement May 24, 2016, 12:14 Fion

Everybody officially to busy playing Overwatch to post in this thread.  

News Comments > Battleborn Double XP Weekend
1. Re: Battleborn Double XP Weekend May 21, 2016, 13:21 Fion

Sorry Gearbox I don't see this really helping your failing game. Doesn't bode well when your 2-week old online shooter has trouble breaking 3'000 concurrent players on steam.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 13:47 Fion

I have almost the same exact system, i5 3570, ASROCK z77 extreme6, though an older GPU, EVGA GTX 770. So far I haven't felt the need to overclock and I haven't upgraded the 770 because I'm waiting to see if what we get a mid-range Pascal card in the next year or so.  

News Comments > Technomancer Delayed One Week
1. Re: Technomancer Delayed One Week May 19, 2016, 13:42 Fion

This game has some rough edges and is clearly the darling of a smaller studio. It could be a fantastic game or it could end up basically Alpha Protocal'ing all over the place. Time will tell. We certainly are having a landmark year for games if the spring has anything to say about it. Would be nice if that trend continues with a deep action RPG.  

3443 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo