Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3373 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Video
19. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Video Jun 16, 2016, 14:03 Fion

Ryder?

Wtf is this game set in... southern Calinfornia 1995?

And is it just me or has weapon & armor technology basically the same when the timeline has advanced hundreds of years. I get it, the ME 'look' is rather iconic, but you can keep the aesthetic without jarring the 'far flung future' experience.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox
21. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 5, 2016, 13:10 Fion

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 17:46:
...and the character designs are better than Overwatch IMO.

To each their own but I think that's one of the biggest reasons Battleborn is failing, is its character design. Each hero is a messy tangle of limbs, barbs, spines & color-mixing without a clear silhouette, let alone a cohesive design rule-set on all but a few of them. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a big fight in that game with the enemy team and there was so many particle fx and giant UI cramming the screen and characters mashed together it was difficult to tell who i was even fighting or worse yet, which ones were on the enemy team!

Overwatch on the other hand, each character has a unique silhouette. You can tell who your going up against the split second you come across a pack of opponents all jumbled together. The graphics are crisp, clean and the UI much clearer and easier to read. This design principle is clearly borrowed from Valve when they made TF2 and to a lesser extend, the L4D series. A design principle you can read about here:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GameFest08_ArtInSource.pdf

As to the humor I find it more.. basement level. It's largly one-liners and fart jokes that make ya giggle but little else. A popular example:

ISIC - "Looks like they're coming in whether I like it or not! And I don't! I don't like that sh*t at all!"

It lacks the whit and subtly of previous Gearbox titles that used subtle puns, word-play and Easter eggs or call-backs to previous events even in previous titles. It's why Tiny Tina's BL2 DLC is one of the best Gearbox DLC ever.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2016, 13:27.

News Comments > Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox
1. Re: Battleborn Writer Leaves Gearbox Jun 4, 2016, 10:54 Fion

Wait someone actually wrote for Battleborn? I thought it was just like some text fed through a meme machine or something.  

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
22. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:36 Fion

Twitter Correction
Competitive play will come out mid-late June, not July.

Source
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/738044550371893248

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
19. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:06 Fion

Yea the problem with D.va is that her critical hit 'box' is center mass so while she is supposed to be a tank, she is incredibly easy to burn down by just hitting her there. I've done this with a single clip on Soldier76, an admittedly 'middling' damage dealer. Double this with the fact that her guns do basically no damage beyond a range of ~10 yards and it means she gets creamed in larger maps constantly.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 31, 2016, 12:05 Fion

So is this the new excuse when a movies early reviews are anything but good? 'The Director's Cut will be better'? Seems I've been hearing this one a lot lately cough-Batman v Superman-cough.  

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Announcement
1. Re: Overwatch Launch Announcement May 24, 2016, 12:14 Fion

Everybody officially to busy playing Overwatch to post in this thread.  

News Comments > Battleborn Double XP Weekend
1. Re: Battleborn Double XP Weekend May 21, 2016, 13:21 Fion

Sorry Gearbox I don't see this really helping your failing game. Doesn't bode well when your 2-week old online shooter has trouble breaking 3'000 concurrent players on steam.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 13:47 Fion

I have almost the same exact system, i5 3570, ASROCK z77 extreme6, though an older GPU, EVGA GTX 770. So far I haven't felt the need to overclock and I haven't upgraded the 770 because I'm waiting to see if what we get a mid-range Pascal card in the next year or so.  

News Comments > Technomancer Delayed One Week
1. Re: Technomancer Delayed One Week May 19, 2016, 13:42 Fion

This game has some rough edges and is clearly the darling of a smaller studio. It could be a fantastic game or it could end up basically Alpha Protocal'ing all over the place. Time will tell. We certainly are having a landmark year for games if the spring has anything to say about it. Would be nice if that trend continues with a deep action RPG.  

News Comments > Dark Souls III Unpatched
1. Re: Dark Souls III Unpatched May 16, 2016, 23:20 Fion

Is that what was causing the micro-stuttering? Thank god they removed it, annoying as hell in a skill based game.  

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
26. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 13:12 Fion

While your at it Disney could you kill off your deal with EA having exclusive access to the Star Wars IP and oh.. IDK.. shop it around to studios that actually give a damn about your IP and are not purely profit driven?  

News Comments > Vampire Bloodlines TMed
17. Re: Irony... May 7, 2016, 14:47 Fion

They've long since fixed the problems from release. Most of these patches in the last several years involve fixing content that was partially implemented or never finished.  

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch
19. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 14:06 Fion

I've played a bit of the game. It very clearly is a TF2 rip-off. Sure different 'heroes' have different aspects from TF2, like the guy that lays down portals isn't the same guy that builds turrets, etc. But besides that bit of 'shuffling', extremely similar.

Map design is probably my biggest issue with it. A few maps are fairly tight with good verticality but too many are either entirely too small and turn into chaos in 6v6 or so big you can go several minutes without seeing an enemy. They def needed to hire someone new and experienced for map design, it's incredibly important in a team shooter.

On the bright side the game is well made and reasonably balanced (Bliz has always had their issues in this dept.) It's also extremely different game from Battleborn which everyone compares it too. This game is an arena team shooter. That game is a tactical moba-inspired shooter with level ups and gear choices that take place 'within' a match, not outside of it. The biggest difference between the two is that Battleborn heroes have lots of ways to modify their characters in-match and take more effort and teamwork to kill a good player. Overwatch is TF2-like and so each 'hero' has significantly less survivability. A good player can lay waste to enemies in seconds. On the downside it's even faster than TF2 so extremely twitchy.

I've bought them both as they are both great games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2016, 14:57 Fion

Yea blue why have 'home phone' at all with mobile? Unless you get spotty connectivity in areas you spend a lot of time in or something, drop that landline. It's so 20th century :p  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 28, 2016, 14:43 Fion

As usually Yatzee is on the nose about DS3. I'm enjoying the hell out of it but agree on several points. The level design (while GORGEOUS) doesn't have the shear variety of DS2 - even if it didn't always make sense - and are laid out for the most part one after the next in an extremely linear fashion. There are a few notable exceptions, the few 'hidden' zones or the one a lot of people miss and have to back-track to... which incidentally is yet another cathedral! The areas simply lack the diversity of DS1 and especially DS2. Some of them are wonderful to explore. I spent hours and hours in Cathedral of the Deep trying to find every nook & cranny. Many, perhaps too many, are short linear hops between major areas. Anor Londo (yet another cathedral) is literally a short hop you can run through in a minute with about 12 enemies in it (ignoring the slimes). I hope the DLC adds more variety to the areas.

My biggest issue with the game is that it's sped up to bloodborne levels. That's fine, a faster pace works in some ways. But if they are going to do that they need to have sped up 'everything'. As Yatzee says, most the big boss weapons and certainly most damage spells are far to slow to be effective. It's why 1h weapons (especially strait swords) are ruling right now, nothing else is fast enough for most of the game.

I don't want this to be complaints only but there are some glaring issues that hopefully will get patched out. Slower weapons & spells need to be more viable. Another major issue is that Poise seems to be just turned off. It's causing all kinds of issues in PvP.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Sales Record
9. Re: Dark Souls III Sales Record Apr 18, 2016, 13:19 Fion

DS3 is a better port. DS1 is infamous for it's incapability with kb/m (though a popular mod improves the situation). DS2 is better with more mapable controls but had well known input lag with kb/m (fixable with a simple batch file but still annoying). DS3 is the best port so far but there are still a few niggling details.

• Menu is very much built for controllers and like its predecessors shows x,y,etc for how to do things in the menu but once you figure out what kb keys those are mapped to it's pretty easy.

• Some of the advanced moves are keyed to multiple simultaneous button presses with no option to change them. Jump attack for example requires hitting forward (w for me) and right-hand heavy attack (e for me) at the same time. Obviously this is because of controllers being native

• While keymapping is significantly improved it's still limited in some ways. There's no support for mice with more than ~4 buttons. You can't keybind some less-used keys like the F-keys even though they have no other use (I have my 4 thumb-buttons bound to F1-4 keys so I can easily set them up

• As to the game, it's fantastic. I think the whole 'more of the same' fault is ridiculous on its face. Of course it's similar to the previous games, it's a sequel. That's like saying HL2 is shit because it has the same guns & characters in it as HL1. So mechanics are similar, combat is similar, how the game plays is similar. But areas are different, a great many enemies are different and thus how you fight them is different. Bosses are new, items are new (though some returning favorites). There are new mechanics, etc. It's going to be somewhat similar, it's a bloody sequel, but if you ENJOY that kind of game, one that punishes you for mistakes and crafts beautiful, artistic and diverse areas full of challenge and secrets to discover, you'll enjoy this game.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Opens
    14. Re: DOOM Open Beta Opens Apr 15, 2016, 15:07 Fion

Flak wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 11:41:
    It only is if you want it to be.

Doom II multiplayer with mods is still a riot in a LAN environment.

I remember the first time I saw doom on LAN, it was at a game store in the mall, two guys had set it up on computers and there were dozens of people around watching this cool new tech.

I personally didn't start LAN'ing with friends until the Quake era, with Quake II still being my favorite multiplayer game of all time, but if it weren't for Doom 1/2 and the mod scene those games created gaming simply wouldn't be the same today.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Crash Workaround
    12. Re: Dark Souls III Crash Workaround Apr 13, 2016, 23:23 Fion

Patch out today fixes bonfire crash issues.

For those wondering what class to play. I'm running a Herald and it's quite fun. Starts with a 100% melee shield and a decent spear that I replaced with a longsword (Uchigatana is awesome but slow for my style, I get hit more from not out-swinging mobs than dodging to soon/late). Longsword has an awesome move set & weapon-arts.

Starts with good middling stats, a minor heal, though oddly the heal changed to an armor buff if I cast it with a cleric chime. Not sure if bug or what but hey. I had a hell of a time on the first boss as I hadn't played a DS game since the early days of DS2 so it was a rude re-introduction to the genre once again.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2016, 23:30.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Crash Workaround
    5. Re: Dark Souls III Crash Workaround Apr 13, 2016, 14:05 Fion

Playing on a 770 GTX here, I crash every time I approach a bonfire unless my lighting is set to 'low'. With or without latest drivers.  

3373 Comments. 169 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo