Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3588 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Gameplay Trailer Mar 28, 2018, 14:40 Fion

Agree. A tactical adventure game with x-com style tactical combat and a lot of mysteries to explore and lore to learn. Looks quite fun, and the graphics are gorgeous.

Nice to see x-com's success in recent years rubbing off on other designers. I'm quite interested to see what Funcom does with this game, and though their first MMO (Anarchy Online) remains my favorite ever, I'm glad they got out of that genre and have seen some success in others. :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer
3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer Mar 26, 2018, 13:49 Fion

accidental repost  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer Mar 26, 2018, 13:42 Fion

Looks interesting. I enjoyed PoE, but I never finished it. Just seemed to slow to a crawl once I reached the big city and I lost interest, and I never picked up any of the DLC.

That doesn't mean I won't ever finish it. With these long RPGs I tend to get part way through them, put them down for months or more, then pick them back up and finish them.

I've had Witcher 3 installed for years for that very reason, lol. Though I have also restarted the game after being a good way through the main campaign because I wanted to try this popular mod called 'Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition' which requires a new save. I liked what the mod does for the game so much I went with the restart. Completely worth it and I heartily recommend it to anyone considering a replay, or diving in to W3 for the first time.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
17. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 13:32 Fion

Agree with ItBum, the respawning checkpoints was a pain at first, but once you unlocked some decent gear it was beyond easy to deal with. On top of that, a mod removed the mechanic came out within weeks.

Besides that minor annoyance, I think FC2 was the best in the series. It had a huge and varied world, an interesting story & interesting characters. FC3 was good too, I didn't like the gameplay quite so much (FC2's shear variety of gear could let you approach missions in dozens of ways). But it had a very good story too.

Reviews are too mixed on FC 5 for me to pick it up right away. I'll wait for a sale next xmas or something.

News Comments > Open World Star Wars Game Plans?
19. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 25, 2018, 12:48 Fion

Sadly many of the great writers and creators that made Bioware great have long since left the studio.  

13. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 20:18 Fion

Slick wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 18:45:
Just sayin'... that whole thing has actually been fixed, and wasn't even really an issue in the first place as they disabled paid loot boxes before launch.

Removing the loot boxes was all well and good, but the game was still built around them and thus without them progression became excruciatingly slow.

That's not even my biggest issue with the game though. There's no focus on teaming up, no multi-person vehicles. It's basically a 40 vs. 40 free for all, every man for himself. Unlockable gear being designed to unlock via paid loot boxes means that gear is tremendously more powerful than what everyone starts with.

Add heroes and ships that are beyond more powerful once you unlock high rank cards on them, and after just a few weeks the disparity between no-life hardcores who had 60 hours in the game, just ran around utterly destroying everyone else.

In the end I'm glad they fixed it, I might just reinstall at some point, but for the most part I feel it's too little, too late.

5. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 16:38 Fion

YES! I can only hope we see Luke Skywalker killing more waves of bugs!

In all seriousness I was hyped and hopeful when I read 'open world star wars game plans?' That is until I realized it would be an EA game.

*CRIES*

News Comments > Unreal Engine Ray Tracing
8. Re: Unreal Engine Ray Tracing Mar 22, 2018, 13:11 Fion

Simon Says wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 11:48:
Well... nice 1080p24fps graphics on 4 top-end cards you got there... Cya in around 15-20 years on PC...

Yes, every year we get these demonstrations and while they are very impressive, I always see people posting that they can't wait to see games that look this good in the next year or two, or on the next gen consoles.

It's important to note that these demo's are on extremely powerful hardware, and while highly detailed they usually consist of a box or similar background with one or two extremely detailed & high poly characters in them.

Actual games won't look this good, for - as you said - two decades. When everyone's running Nvidia's quantum GPUs.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2018, 17:42 Fion

Vermintide 2 #2 for second week. It's hella fun and has a great price point. Though the later stages are somewhat buggy and there seems to be a lot of missing secondary content, like some weapon illusions (skins) that atm look identical to the basic skins for the same weapons (though not always), and there's a ui category for Cosmetics, but there don't appear to be any cosmetics in the game yet.

That said, the combat is deep, the co-op play is fantastic, and there's tuns of opportunities to customize your character and further enhance them to your playstyle.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 13:52 Fion

To little, way to late.

The single player campaign is decently done and the probably worth that $5. The multiplayer needs a massive balance patch, as those who have unlocked everything are by far more powerful than those who have not; no matter their individual skill.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2018, 17:23 Fion

Brynjolf wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 16:29:
If there was a correlation between violent video games and mass shootings, why are they an almost exclusive phenomenon to the US, even tho those games are played all over the world?

No, its the misinterpretation of the 2nd amendment and the amount of privately owned guns in the US that make a lot more sense statistically.

Of course it is, and the vast majority of people know this. It's the NRA and their gun industry backers who push these narratives. Anything to take the spotlight off the truth.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2018, 14:46 Fion

I love "Ash vs. Evil Dead", but I never watch TV on it's scheduled time. I'm a cord cutter, so I watch what shows I want once they've been added to another platform. I watch the CW Arrowverse shows on Netflix for example, as they are added days after each season ends.

To spread the word, the first two seasons are on Netflix. If you are a fan of evil dead, or just of the comedy horror genre, it's an extremely well made, gory, hilarious show based on the original movies.

With luck, assuming it doesn't survive past Season 3, maybe Netflix would pick it up. But that's never a sure thing. It's such a great show, so unique to television, and yet it's never broken 1/2 a million concurrent viewers. This is probably because it's on Stars - perhaps the least subscribed cable channel out there. It's also heavily pirated. It's too bad, because anyone who's seen even a single episode on Netflix is going to want more!

News Comments > Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam
1. Re: Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam Mar 8, 2018, 18:16 Fion

If you enjoy horror games in any measure, and haven't played either of these games, you owe it to yourself to get them.

Amnesia: the Dark Descent is the scariest & finest horror game in existence. The sequel isn't quite so good, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Anniversary and Sales Milestone
5. Re: Cities: Skylines Anniversary and Sales Milestone Mar 8, 2018, 15:03 Fion

Wait, Surviving Mars is an expansion to Cities: Skylines? It's from a completely different company.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 1, 2018, 13:54 Fion

The similarity between Brigitte and Ash are based in their archetype, the knights paladin. Both are women in heavy armor, though the armors style is completely different.

Ash has a medium-range charging knockback. Brigitte has a melee range shield bash stun. Ash wields a gun that throws explosive balls that can do knockback. Brigitte wields a flail that does light damage in a cone in close range.

Ash drops a powerful shield that slowly advances forward (similarly to symmetra, only slower). Brigitte has a personal shield that only protects her or people directly behind her.

The biggest similarities is probably they both have a Rally ability. This is common to a paladin archetype seen across many games. The similarity ends in the name. Ash drops a flag and in a short (2 meter?) aoe, stuns enemies and boosts ally damage.

Brigitte on the other hand, has a flag appear on her back. An aoe of similar size grants armor. The armor continues to apply for several seconds, replacing any taken away from damage, and that armor lasts until it is removed by damage.

So yea, unless Paladins is staking a claim that they invented the knights paladin archetype in games with heavy armor, bash abilities and a rally... similarities end there. Mild aesthetic similarities aside, the two characters play completely differently.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Feb 26, 2018, 13:54 Fion

The popularity of the Sims games never ceases to astound me.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2018, 11:19 Fion

Yea it wasn't great. But neither was the original movie. But they were both fun movies to watch. I particularly enjoyed some of the callbacks, and the clear Alien and Event Horizon inspiration.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning
4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 21:21 Fion

Not that it matters, this game is dead now. It's not even close to the top 100 played on Steam, and there are currently about 250 people watching battlefront II streams on Twitch. It's nowhere near the first page.

Apparently it sold under 2 million units, which is pathetic for a AAA multiplayer game. Sure they may get some wales spending a few thousand on these microtransactions, but they won't come close to recouping their costs.

EA can go fuck themselves. I don't even care about Anthem, let alone if it got pushed back. Bioware is dead to me.

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
1. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 24, 2018, 21:38 Fion

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series (save for DA2), but being an EA game I really cannot allow myself to become hyped for it.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Change Plans
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Change Plans Jan 24, 2018, 21:35 Fion

It's a decent game. It plays like a 20 vs. 20 free for all because there's absolutely little to no teamwork involved, no multi-person vehicles, etc.

It's not just the progression that needs fixed, but the simple fact that the game was designed to be Pay 2 Win before they took out microtransactions. So weapons & cards that take a long time to grind out are significantly more powerful than the weapons and cards you might start with. So those who've put hundreds of hours into the game can wipe the floor with those who've put a few hours in, no matter their skill.

3588 Comments. 180 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo