Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3573 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Feb 26, 2018, 13:54 Fion

The popularity of the Sims games never ceases to astound me.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2018, 11:19 Fion

Yea it wasn't great. But neither was the original movie. But they were both fun movies to watch. I particularly enjoyed some of the callbacks, and the clear Alien and Event Horizon inspiration.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning
4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 21:21 Fion

Not that it matters, this game is dead now. It's not even close to the top 100 played on Steam, and there are currently about 250 people watching battlefront II streams on Twitch. It's nowhere near the first page.

Apparently it sold under 2 million units, which is pathetic for a AAA multiplayer game. Sure they may get some wales spending a few thousand on these microtransactions, but they won't come close to recouping their costs.

EA can go fuck themselves. I don't even care about Anthem, let alone if it got pushed back. Bioware is dead to me.

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
1. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 24, 2018, 21:38 Fion

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series (save for DA2), but being an EA game I really cannot allow myself to become hyped for it.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Change Plans
2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Change Plans Jan 24, 2018, 21:35 Fion

It's a decent game. It plays like a 20 vs. 20 free for all because there's absolutely little to no teamwork involved, no multi-person vehicles, etc.

It's not just the progression that needs fixed, but the simple fact that the game was designed to be Pay 2 Win before they took out microtransactions. So weapons & cards that take a long time to grind out are significantly more powerful than the weapons and cards you might start with. So those who've put hundreds of hours into the game can wipe the floor with those who've put a few hours in, no matter their skill.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2018, 13:38 Fion

I sunk a great many hours into this game, far more than I expected. It's a great indie to play when you just need to relax and let a load off.

Unfortunate thing is the guy who made it hasn't released any new content in like a year and a half now. One would expect with that many sales he'd support it with new stuff, but it appears he's moved on to his next project.

Don't let that confuse new players though, as this game is already packed with so much to do you can put in 100 hours and still not see it all.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 20, 2018, 11:49 Fion

I'm not exactly sure what is going on with that team. I've heard a rumor that it was supposed to be different players but some corruption or another slotted these players instead. And these guys clearly aren't up to snuff. Florida Mayhem game was a shut out, and most the team members (all 6) on Mayhem didn't themselves even make it through Contenders.

Then again, the one time best-team-in-the-world are also 0/4. So who knows!

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2018, 11:46 Fion

I really can't stand most 'hot people hospital' shows, let alone 'hot people cops' or 'hot people lawyers' shows. Granted, I also hate reality TV, so that makes about 9/10ths of all US television outside my interests.

As to the harvard study, I feel that now that net neutrality is basically dead (for now), community broadband is our best alternative. That is if the FCC and cable companies don't kill it too.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2018, 13:59 Fion

Yea, I'm sure when they get more in - around april - the price will be $250. When people bitch, the answer will be 'oh, that price point was a temporary sale, that ended in March.'  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 9, 2018, 14:10 Fion

I don't use my smart phone very much on purpose. I don't participate in social media because of these issues, and my dislike of how much they track you, listen to your conversations, etc.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 24, 2017, 13:35 Fion

I cut the cord for two reasons:

1. To save money. I was paying $200 a month for phone, (basic) TV & 25mbps internet. Now I pay ~100 a month for 100mbps internet (thanks Spectrum) + Netflix, Hulu & HBO Now. Amazon too but their media offerings are generally shite.

2. I was sick to high heaven of commercials.

These days I do get a few commercials, mostly from the free 'The CW' app (gotta watch my Arrowverse!) and a news app on my TV that has a commercial here or there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 13:50 Fion

Why the International Space Station is the Single Best Thing Humanity Did

Ah... w.i.r.e.d., don't you mean 'has done'? We're not done yet!

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
29. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 11:10 Fion

There's mods that can partially replace the horrible multiplayer. The game is old enough now that once you finish the main game, there are tuns of mods that add new life. There are mods that add tuns of crazy races all over the map (some even let you create your own). There are mods that add a lot of the online-only missions to single-player. There are mods that add new forms of gameplay, like playing as a cop - or a mod that adds gang hideouts to hit and plunder. There's a mod that sends army jets after you with 5-stars so you can dog-fight them. There's a trucking mod, railroad engineer (or destruction), on and on.

Anyway, TLDR - tuns of mods that extend the single player experience, even adding MP content to single player. Mods are finicky to install and you can usually only have one of the 'big ones' installed at a time, but man I got hundreds of hours out of the game post-story mode because of em. Mostly because Rockstar are assholes about mods.

Hey Undocumented Alien, a single tip: mid-late way into the game while playing as Franklin, if you see a big L on the map, representing a mission from Lester (you'll meet him early in the game), don't do that mission. Wait until you finish the game to start his missions on Franklin. Then look online for how to make mega-bucks with those missions. But of a pain in the ass but also the difference between finishing SP with 2-3 million or 1/2 a billion in cash.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
20. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 12:34 Fion

Before you go steepling your fingers EA with the monetary possibilities EA, maybe you should make the game actually playable in Multiplayer.

After all, loot boxes & DLC won't sell for shit if 95% of your players have already uninstalled because of lag, rubberbanding, and worse.

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
18. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:21 Fion

This is like a textbook case of the Sunk Cost Fallacy. That is... continuing to sink money/time/energy into a project as a result of ones emotional connection to it, instead of any actual rational decision making.

E.g. the classic 'well I've already spent $100 on this, what's another $20?'.

We've all fallen for this, and the gaming industry takes full advantage of it. It's why there's a Collectors Edition of games, followed by 'discounts' on things like in-game currencies or other upgrades, just before launch.

Right now thousands of people who've spent hundreds already to get a head start in a game that isn't probably ever coming out, and seriously considering sinking even more money into the game. Between discounts for those who've already spent a lot of money (playing right into this fallacy) and everyone rationalizing 'I've already put hundreds into this game, what's another $50?'

And for the record it's not stupidity, it's companies taking advantage of how the human brain works, and how to circumvent peoples rationalism.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well
1. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 11:43 Fion

I've been hearing so much positive buzz about this game, even though initially disinterested, that I picked this up at 25% off on GOG's black friday (week) sale, final price: $22.50.

So if anyone is interested in maybe picking this up after hearing similar buzz, that's a pretty deep discount for a game that came out mere months ago at $60.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed
12. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 13:18 Fion

I made a handful of very popular 'adventure modules' for NWN, and one for NWN2. I tried to find them a few years ago to replay them but they've effectively been absorbed into the black hole at the center of the internet.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 2, 2017, 14:51 Fion

I already get 4k netflix over my $100 Roku Pro. Oh and 4k youtube & 4k hulu & 4k hbo.

So no thanks comcast. I'm not gonna rent your bulky, slow, piece of crap cable box just to get what I already have.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 13:49 Fion

Sounds like a boring game to me. IMHO games have largely become too easy in the last decade or more. I'm not asking for the high difficulty and frequent deaths of early games - which were designed that way to bring in more quarters - but I enjoy games most if they provide a challenge. Some of my favorite games in recent years have been the Dark Souls series, for this reason.

For the record, since the article talks about the difficulty of Doom and using cheats to make it easier. I wasn't 7 when doom came out, more like 17. But I beat Doom on Nightmare, without cheats. Why? For the challenge, and the bragging rights among friends.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 13:51 Fion

Bill Gates gets passed every few years by someone. But then he ends up on top again somehow.  

3573 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo