Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3533 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization VI Summer Patch
2. Re: Civilization VI Summer Patch Jul 31, 2017, 13:31 Fion

Game has improved quite dramatically since it first came out. New Civs are all fantastic, with their own niches & play styles. AI improves with every patch, with the Spring patch improving it greatly. Still has its weak points, but mods are available via Steam Workshop, Nexus and Civfanatics that patch up those holes, like the AI+ mod.

Then there are mods that add other systems from Civ 5, like Production Queue.

But just as Civ 5 was pretty barebones with especially weak AI out the gate, only to be fixed through expansions, Civ 6 has been fixed in this way through seasonal updates.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer Jul 29, 2017, 13:11 Fion

I think it's pretty well recognized that events in this game are not cannon, but instead all in good fun.

I'm hoping this game is as good as the original. I'm a little worried that the powers seem even more crazy powerful, because once you got to the point in the game where you could kill piles of the 'fodder' orcs in seconds, it also started to get a touch boring.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2017, 13:57 Fion

Time to take that little girl on the Cosplay circuit, win a few contests for sure!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 24, 2017, 13:16 Fion

So she was live-streaming this on instagram instead of calling 911? Oh the stupidity.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2017, 14:21 Fion

The storm that hit southern-central New York yesterday was insane. It was the closest I've ever seen to tropical-storm-like weather, win gusts of 50+ miles per hour. There was at least two-major tornado's in western new york as winds broke 100 mph. Where I am in the 'southern tier' of NY winds broke 50 mph.

I love me a good storm and that one was insane.

News Comments > Abandon Ship Kraken Trailer
1. Re: Abandon Ship Kraken Trailer Jul 21, 2017, 13:59 Fion

So this is a an FTL style pirate game? Cool.  

News Comments > Telltale Announces New Batman; The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us Series
5. Re: Telltale Announces New Batman; The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us Series Jul 20, 2017, 11:50 Fion

Well it's about damn time we got a new Wolf Among Us. Season 1 was so good! Walking Dead IMHO is a little played out. I haven't played the Batman game but I understand S1 was really good.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 12:09 Fion

I sometimes wish the guy would throw his weight behind a problem that exists now.. like Net Neutrality, instead of focusing on something that may be a problem 50 years from now.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2017, 13:08 Fion

I always use blue's Amazon link.  

News Comments > On Overwatch Balance
5. Re: On Overwatch Balance Jul 8, 2017, 11:53 Fion

WoW Devs are pretty much king of the 'let's see what class we can pick and totally change/fuck up now" mantra of balance. It's one of the myriad reasons I abandoned the game years ago.

Overwatch has done a pretty solid job of balance. I don't play a whole hell of a lot these days, but I still follow the Pro scene and while for much of the games life there was a definite 5-7 characters 'everyone' picked, these days Heroes seem to be chosen based on which map is in rotation and what the enemy team is playing and how well/not well that is working for them. IMHO that's probably the best you can get as far as balance in a non-linear shooter like that.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
20. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jul 1, 2017, 12:19 Fion

It's unfortunately because as bad as some elements of the game are (animations, obviously), the gameplay is actually pretty solid, If this had come out from any other lesser known developer this game would have been rated higher, there's no doubt. But it wasn't up to Bioware's standards and in the era of Witcher 3, open world RPGs (even in settings like Mass Effect) are held to a much higher standard. I mean how many videos compared the games animations to Witcher 3's, which is considered industry-leading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPkl14dAAU (watch after 2m)

For those who have the game and didn't play, I recommend doing so. The combat gameplay is very solid, though repetitive after a few planets. The last third of the game actually has a fantastic story that is very compelling. It's just that the first part of the game, such as the first major planet are somewhat boring.

Note: play a female character, the animations are just a 'touch' better and less 'in your face'. When your playing, avoid doing 'tasks', they are super generic and they'll bore you faster than anything else in this game. That said, the main missions, crew missions are solid, some are great. Heleus Assignments are planet-specific and recommended because some are fantastic, including having boss battles you miss out on if you don't do them.

I'm disappointed that sequels are unlikely. The story - especially toward the end - is absolutely up to Bioware's standards, it's just to bad other systems weren't. As I said, in this day if you can't at least get close to Witcher 3 levels of quality and gameplay, your not gonna do great with an open world RPG.

News Comments > Agents of MAYHEM Trailer
3. Re: Agents of MAYHEM Jun 27, 2017, 13:48 Fion

Every game Volition makes I have a ball with, so looking forward to this one.

I agree, game seems perfect for co-op.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 12:53 Fion

How on earth do you run out of money when you have $150 million budget? Let alone so out of money that you need a second loan from bankers?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2017, 13:26 Fion

Ah man this 'solar paint' is going to be debunked as badly as solar roads did.

Why is it called 'solar paint' when it creates hydrogen from water vapor? This is like that sports water bottle that refills itself from the moisture in the air.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 13:44 Fion

Remember when Apple attracted the most talented engineers in the industry to their doors and was always well ahead of the competition?

What the hell happened?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind DLC in August
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind DLC in August Jun 12, 2017, 12:55 Fion

Yea ESO really turned it around from a beta that was just.. bad. Friend got me into the game about six months ago and while it is an MMO and some people are just over them, it's one of the best available right now.

I certainly never thought I'd be playing one again, but I've had a tun of fun in it, and Morrowind is fantastic.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed
15. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed Jun 12, 2017, 12:46 Fion

That was perhaps the greatest trailer, in the history of trailers.

I just hope it keeps the pedigree of the original. Between that and Doom (who'd have thought Id had that in em?), we've been getting some pretty amazing shooters lately.

News Comments > Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned
4. Re: Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned Jun 9, 2017, 15:25 Fion

One of the reasons I stopped playing the game was because of leavers in Competitive, it got so bad it was nearly one in every 3 or so game. The issue was compounded in Season 2 because of the whole 'three times as many points gone in a loss than than gained in a win' issue many folks were having. IDK if they ever fixed that.

So playing for a couple hours, building up 100+ points, then loosing 60 of it because our side had a leaver was utter bullshit.
That and the toxicity in even low-rank competitive was growing insane. I mean people screaming in high gold/low diamond tier in season 2 (and not playing for shit because they're focused on screaming) is bad enough, when I got pushed down to silver in Season 3 it was just as bad. After that I just said fuck it, the fun gameplay is not worth feeling like shit at the end of every game session.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 in September
4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 in September May 24, 2017, 23:51 Fion

Where did I leave my time machine now... damn it. I need to go back in time to September 15th, 2016!  

News Comments > Overwatch Anniversary Event; Free Weekend; GotY Edition Coming
2. Re: Overwatch Anniversary Event; Free Weekend; GotY Edition Coming May 17, 2017, 22:50 Fion

Ah, I had an insanely good time with this game, putting a few hundred hours in with a bunch of friends both IRL and Online. Def worth $60 for me. I dropped it a while ago because there's no real reason to play. You can either feel frustrated in competitive or just screw around in casual and feel like your not improving.

There are a lot of people who have left the game for these reasons. They need to institute new modes and fix the problems that make competitive feel frustrating and just not fun.

The competitive scene is fun to watch though, but that's about as much Overwatch as I get into these days.

3533 Comments. 177 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo