Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3445 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 29, 2016, 14:19 Fion

I haven't used deodorant in years.. let alone soap (save occasional hand soap - never the antibacterial stuff) or shampoo. Instead I've worked to restore my bodies natural microbiology. I find I don't sweat as often (accept working out of course), my hair is thick and doesn't tangle much (though it isn't as shiny), I have no BO, and my skin is very healthy. I do of course still shower, but I just use good hot water & a good old wash cloth.

I'm of the belief that these artificial, antibacterial, chemically based soaps, shampoos & deodorants have hurt our bodies ability to stay clean, not helped it. People hear that 100 years ago people bathed rather irregularly and think 'they must have stunk to hell and back'. I think it was probably rather the opposite.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2016, 14:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
5. Re: Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming Oct 29, 2016, 14:14 Fion

Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:13Yet another reason not to use Spywin 10.
[/quote:

Ditto

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 14:11 Fion

If you have so many issues with a PC, I'm going to suggest you just either suck with them or you have shit luck. I've been using PCs and programming on PCs, back-end developing on PCs for decades now and I can count the number of major hardware or software issues on one hand.

That said I don't use Win10 lol.

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Changes Planned
2. Re: Overwatch Competitive Changes Planned Oct 25, 2016, 13:34 Fion

Yea nice typo.

"In turn, fewer players should start the season having their Skill Rating drastically drop despite having close to even wins and losses. "

I'm super happy to read this, as I wasn't sure Blizz even noticed but the community has been pretty hot about it. I started at 2700 SR, which was indeed higher than I expected. My Win/Loss rate was fairly high early in the season which dropped me to mid-low gold on average and than later I managed to crawl back up again but like many, I began to notice that I was losing more SR in losses than I was gaining in wins, even on underdog teams.

I'd lose 3-4 games one day and drop 200 SR, then win the same the next and gain 50. To make matters worse, probably 7% of the time my team would have a leaver, which meant a full SR loss no matter what. Talk about frustrating.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2016, 14:45 Fion

What day is this? Is it 2:42 in the afternoon or morning? One.. more.. turn.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Civ 6. It has every feature of Civ 5 + all its expansions which is really nice to see out the gate, and has taken some chances with new gameplay features that add a lot of strategy to the game. It needs a patch or two to sort out some bugs and idiosyncrasies with a few of the new features, but it's already a better game. The AI could still use some work for sure but it's head and shoulders better than Civ 5's AI.

I knew it was gonna be a good Civ game when I learned its developers were the same guys who did the Civ 5 expansions, which dramatically improved that broken initial release.. even if the added complexity of the expansions was there mostly to cover up how broke the core of the game was lol.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Trailer
4. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Oct 24, 2016, 14:25 Fion

I finished Watch Dogs, it's not a terrible game. But it didn't live up the hype in any way. The story was bland, the voice acting was bad, the gameplay had 'ubisoft generic open world' written all over it. It did have its moments, most of the hacking was the same as AC games climbing, i.e. just a button press, but the gunplay was pretty fun and the deeper hacking minigame was a cool 3-dimensional puzzle that could get quite complicated late-game.

I'd say if you have any interest in the original, buy it at $2 on a steam sale or get it in the bargain bin at walmart if there is nothing else available that is remotely interesting.

Thankfully the sequel appears more light hearted, but not a chance in hell I'm going to pre-order. I'll wait for reviews.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 8 Begins
3. Re: Diablo III Season 8 Begins Oct 22, 2016, 13:31 Fion

No doubt. Too bad too cause the game was doing really well in the first year or so after the expansion hit. Extremely promising and fun. They've added about 1/15th that expansions content in the years since sadly. :/  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released
14. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Released Oct 21, 2016, 13:48 Fion

Yea isn't DoS awesome? I had put off purchasing it for the longest time in hopes of a deep cut in the price but ended up buying it at $20 a few months back (during the summer gaming drought) and holy crap I should have spent $60 on this game.. the devs deserve it. I've since put 109 hours into it (sans the ~20 from my first game which I restarted after totally fubar'ing the character builds lol).

Played an hour or two of Civ 6 last night. I think it's a marked improvement. I agree I think the city states are handled far better than in Civ 5, and is it just me or do they never expand their borders (or perhaps just much.. much slower). Just about every single aspect of the game seems to be improved, sans one: the UI is a bit overly complex IMHO. It's really hard to find things that should be a click away but require opening 2 sub-menus to reach - like demographic information. The game does appear to be 'more' complex than its predecessor so I expected a more complicated UI but man it seems unnecessarily so.

My first game I decided to start as Saladin (Arabia) and go a science or potentially faith victory. I stopped at turn 50 and so far I've had a lot of fun with it. Even the boring early turns are somewhat exciting lol.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2016, 13:32 Fion

First five Eps of Luke Cage are very good. Last half of the season kicks into overdrive.

As to Overwatch... yea I've basically decided to avoid Competitive unless I can duo-queue or better. To often in solo-queue your victory comes down to gelling with the rest of the team and hoping you don't get some dumbass who switches to dps from their support 3/4 way through a match, or decides today's the day to try Reinhardt for the first time.. in competitive. I'm down to ~1500 from a starting point of ~2600 largely because of this.

There are just too many variables that can bring you down and when you find a solid team that has some synergy and uses voice to their advantage you cant stick with them because unlike pickup games you can't stick with a good group through multiple games, which IMHO is a mistake. Though I have made friends from good groups that friended each other and then teamed for a while, they aren't always available when I'm playing.

On the upside the halloween brawl is fun and challenging and has helped me to learn characters I rarely play otherwise so hey.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2016, 13:39.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2016, 13:36 Fion

OMG that sandwitch!

You honestly didn't think - just looking at that sandwich - you were gonna pay for it later? Come on blue, we are men in our 40's by this point. You should have known better. :p

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 16, 2016, 13:57 Fion

5 days till Civ VI. Cannot f'in wait!

Considered Shadow Warrior 2 but I've yet to finish the original so...

News Comments > Tyranny Next Month
8. Re: Tyranny Next Month Oct 14, 2016, 13:14 Fion

I'm not going to pre-order. I only do that with companies I know put out amazing games with near certainty, like CDPROJECT RED. Obsidian has made some amazing games but they have a history of releasing duds too so. That said, I am pretty hotly anticipating this one.

I'm in the middle of playing through Divinity: Original Sin EE after putting off purchasing it for way to long as it's a phenomenal isometric RPG. Hopefully I'll finish it just as this comes out and hopefully this game is as good as its premise. Supposedly your decisions can have drastic results and affect the game world in surprising ways - giving it lots of replayability.

Only time will tell.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 8 Details
8. Re: Diablo III Season 8 Details Oct 13, 2016, 11:53 Fion

Yea the first few seasons were pretty fun because there was a lot of fresh content to still participate in. Leveling a char from scratch without all the benefits of having your higher level characters to back them up with funding & gear was interesting, and getting those unique skins to complete the set & seeing how far you could take the character in Conquests was always interesting.

Each season should come with new content. In two years the only content the game has gotten is Torment & a few new dungeons. Blizz has all but said the game is finished and won't be getting any new content from now on, which sucks really. Besides a few die hard friends, the game is dying. :/

News Comments > Overwatch Launches PvE Mode and Halloween Skins
13. Re: Overwatch Launches PvE Mode and Halloween Skins Oct 12, 2016, 10:02 Fion

Halfscan wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 08:45:
If the Halloween stuff is purchasable with coin then I will check it out, but if it's another grind-and-pray cluster fuck I won't be bothering.

It is purchasable, but everything costs 3x normal prices. Thankfully several of the skins (such as Pharahs awesome new one) are purple tier so if you've built up coin it's not that much. But the best skins - reaper, roadhog - are 3000c.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 4, 2016, 14:04 Fion

Everyones talking about how inexpensive the PS4 VR is, but they aren't counting the price on the other hardware. You're going to most assuredly want a PS4 Pro (even its hardware isn't up to snuff, but its closer), a PS4 camera (required), and two Playstation Move controllers (required for many of the games) and the PS4 VR itself of course.

If you already have these things.. great. But I'm willing to bet that most people; even PS4 owners.. don't. If you want to get into VR and you have none of these things your still looking at a price tag of over $1000.

Sure that's still less than the cost of a Rift + PC capable of running it.. but only by a few $hundred at most. So don't let the marketing fool you, buying all the stuff required to get into VR on the PS4 is still going to cost you a lot of money and the end result will still be an inferior experience compared to a Rift or Vive.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2016, 14:47 Fion

I'm not very familiar with the Mafia series so I haven't spent to much time looking into it. I may pick it up at some point but probably not at launch.

This month my focus is pretty much strait up Civ VI. A few of the youtubers I watch that do 'let's play' style videos have gotten a pre-release copy and man does the game look tight and unlike the previous (two.. arguably) Civ games this one isn't bare bones and reliant on expansions. Almost everything that was in Civ V + expansions is in Civ VI. It even has more starting Civilizations. TB also gave it a glowing report saying its only fault he could see is that it may be a bit too complex out the gate to have the massive appeal Civ 5 did.

Needless to say the next few weeks can't fly by fast enough for me. Though BF1 is looking rather interesting. WWI was going on 100 years ago so it's a fit moment to release the game. For those interested in the game and the history of WWI, there's a great youtube channel that does a video every thursday talking about what happened in the war this week - 100 years ago, called The Great War https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A. They do like 3 vids a week, thursdays the main one. Q&A on Saturdays, a show on monday that focuses on specific people, places, events, tech, etc. They even did a a few analysis of the main trailors out for Battlefield 1, such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI.

Even if your not a history person, perusing this channel can get you into the mindset of the game, better immerse you into the action. I'm hoping the campaign is largely focused around the wars big set piece battles. A lot of terrible shit went down in WWI, but if the game is adult enough it might touch on such subjects.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2016, 14:59.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2016, 12:52 Fion

Ah... PS VR is cheaper than PC VR options because it isn't remotely as capable. PS4 games have a hard enough time running at 1080p at 60 fps and now they want to make VR games that run at twice the framerate and double the resolution? The games will have scale back to N64 levels and even then they'll probably putter like a dying car engine any time a developer wants to use anything but point lighting, a few thousand poly's per scene or god forbid.. ambient occlusion!

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2016, 13:00.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
5. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 28, 2016, 13:01 Fion

Yea it took me a few tries to get into Wasteland 2. That game has really deep RPG mechanics and strong storytelling. Unfortunately gameplay leaves a lot to desire. There are long stretches of gameplay with little to do but talk, you get the best weapons in the game 'very' early on and there's no meaningful loot or sense of advancement after that.

Hopefully WL3 takes 2's criticisms to heart and improves upon those facets significantly.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 21, 2016, 14:18 Fion

This console E-PEEN bullshit is getting hilarious. I mean what even is the market share of 4k tvs? 2%?  

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed
23. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed Sep 16, 2016, 15:43 Fion

If delay = a better game at launch. I'm all for it.

Sadly not all delays = a better game at launch. I'm looking at you No Man's Sky!

3445 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo